Curtain Call: Amrita Acharia
By Fire And Blood on in Editorial.

So I avoided doing a curtain call post for Ami last week, partly because we wanted to allow Ron Donachie a week of character mourning, and partly because there was that 0.01% chance Irri really was not dead and everyone was just screwing with me.

Well now we truly know, and I can let my disappointment take wing and fly.

Some people think my nerd rage stems from the fact that Irri lived (still lives, in fact) a full and functional life in the books, and that assumption would be wrong. Many of you know I am probably the furthest thing from a book purist. My request has been a simple one thus far:

“Just make the best television series ever.” Easy, right?

Of course they had a great head start going for them. George R.R. Martin’s source material is gold. And I have to say—the show has been fantastic. Brilliant at times… and, quite often, better than the source material. That’s not easy to do. For every misstep there have been a hundred pieces of awesome.

So I’m not saying Irri should not have died. I’m going to assume it serves a purpose, some purpose, to have the last reliable vestige of Dothraki culture taken from Daenerys. That’s not my bitch. What I don’t like was how it was done; seen through Dany’s frantic eyes, stuffed into the tail end of an episode, carelessly killed and decorating Dany’s chamber like an Irri rug.

Irri was a character we cared about. She had her own story, as much as any character on the show. Doreah was supposed to be the pretty one, but many eyes were drawn to her. One tiny little glance, given to Rakharo, launched a thousand ‘ships.

Maybe the writers didn’t expect Amrita to inspire so many people with so minor a character. Perhaps they just didn’t know what a good thing they had. Perhaps it would have behooved them to have cast a lesser actress in the role. They should understand, now, that even the smallest thing will be judged by the fandom. When they get it right, we celebrate it, loudly (and usually on Tumblr). If something is found lacking, well, we let them know that too.

Honestly, I don’t think they expect anything less of us. David Benioff and Dan Weiss do not make a habit of talking down to the fans.

If they thought Irri was a small, inconsequential thing, they were wrong. Amrita embodied her heart and soul, making us care for Irri far, far more than we ever cared for her in the books. Irri was already steadfast, but Amrita made her stubborn, reactive, three-dimensional. She was strong yet sensitive, knowing yet innocent. Amrita played these balances with intuitive grace. She became Irri and made her real. That’s why we freaking care. It feels like so much of her was left on the cutting room floor.

I haven’t completely given up hope, even though Game of Thrones has thus far carved a reputation that eschews flashbacks. I’m still hopeful we will see how Irri met her end. We know they filmed the scene; Amrita said she had bruises around her neck days after filming it.

And all sorts of things can happen in the House of the Undying.

So I hold out hope we’ll still get to see her death scene, somehow, some way. That’s all most of us need: closure.

Some of you said your thank-yous and your good-byes last week in my interview with Amrita, but here is the official one. Amrita was nice enough to not only give us a one-on-one interview, but to come out and meet some of the fans during her recent trip to L.A. I have no idea how she kept her character’s death a secret from us during all that. Perhaps the secret amused her; she smiled patiently at me as I nattered on about all the cool things Irri was going to see.

Clearly, HBO has been airtight with spoilers. You can’t say she didn’t do her job as an actress. She always did, and did it with emotive yet controlled power.

Fire And Blood: It’s been said before, and I’ll say it again: Thanks, Ami! You’ve only begun this crazy trip, and I have a feeling the long road ahead is gonna be really cool. Keep on keepin’ on, come back L.A., and keep making magic. We will line up to see it.

Oh, and may Irri’s journey into the Night Lands be on one helluva bitchin’ ride.

1. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:09 am | Permalink

A big thank you Amrita, you elevated a small role to something more memorable than any book fan could have hoped for!

2. ace
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:12 am | Permalink

RIP Irri, you bridge the path for Dany to the Dohtraki culture and done it wonderfully.

Amrita you have inhabited the role of Irri and made it memorable on the screen

3. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Oh man, I wasn’t sold on her hotness until I saw her on the motorcycle.

Fick ja.

4. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:21 am | Permalink

(…And she’s a good actress and stuff.)

5. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:21 am | Permalink

(and this is lightyears away from the books, but the naïve tv show viewer in me silently hopes that Dany will somehow force Pyat Pree to ‘revive’ Irri. It would be a rediculous plot twist, I know, but that’s how much richer the Essos story would feel to me with Irri still in it…)

6. Macha
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:29 am | Permalink

Spot on, FaB. :)

I’ll refrain from judging whether this was a misstep on the part of D&D, for now, though I admit I was pretty pissed off, initially. And that is a testimony to Amrita Acharia’s first class acting. I hope her part in this show managed to open new doors for her, and that we’ll be able to witness her talent again in the near future. Best of luck to her!

7. Conor
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:51 am | Permalink

The first change from the book that I don’t like.

It was too soon for Irri, way too soon :(
    Good luck Amrita and RIP Irri.

8. The_Rabbit01
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Thank you Amrita!

Posted May 17, 2012 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Thank you for playing the role the way you did, Amrita!

10. msd
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 5:27 am | Permalink

11. Ena Kobentar
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Amrita elevated Irri from little more than a plot device to a full-blown and nuanced character, the kind GRRM is famous for. I will miss her and certainly watch out for her in other productions.

12. sjwenings
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:03 am | Permalink

msd: I don’t think it’s fair to be upset with D&D about this. According to an interview Amrita did, she doesn’t have Norwegian citizenship and her EU work visa is going to run out. No work visa = no working on GoT.

Oh, really? Makes her demice even more sad, and in a weird way more real, then. It was really a pity, because with the loss of Drogo and Rhakaro, she was the only Dothraki we cared for left. She did so much with so little, and I believe Daenerys’ storyline in the show lost something quite significant with her death. Too bad. Oh, and if we ARE to compare her to Doreah, Amrita’s the hot one.

13. Langkard
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Amrita gave life to a relatively minor character. That’s one of the amazing things about this show: the actors, even in the small roles, are wonderful. I expect we’ll see more of Amrita in future roles, just not on GOT. Hopefully those futures roles will be bigger; but small roles or large, I have no doubt she will make them come alive like she did as Irri.

14. msd
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:17 am | Permalink

Here’s the article. It basically says she’s been denied Norwegian citizenship twice and that her work visa is running out (actually, going by the timing of the interview it sounds like it ran out in 2011).

It sucks for her but if she wasn’t going to be available to shoot Season 3 then the producers didn’t have much choice.

15. Isabelle
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Thanks Amrita!!! You were absolutely brilliant–your verbal sparring with Elyes Gabel made for some of my favourite bits in Season One. Good luck with everything!!!

“When they get it right, we celebrate it, loudly (and usually on Tumblr).” So, so true.

16. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Without Amrita’s moving performance, we would never have known anything about the female side of Dothraki culture. Irri never butchered anything but animals for food, she cooked, mended things, discovered Dany’s pregnancy and gave us insights into the Dothrakis’ beliefs and rituals regarding death and the afterlife. She portrayed the civilized side of a people that Viserys and the Spice King dismissed as savages.

She was also an intelligent woman (esp. wrt to languages), at once hardy, feisty, proud, industrious, gentle, loyal, loving and last not least truly beautiful in spite of her no-nonsense grooming and coarse clothes. Amrita managed to make us genuinely care for a simple, honest, common woman in a show about the political machinations of morally ambiguous aristocrats. Irri will never be replaced. It is known.

Fwiw, I actually don’t believe D&D simply threw Irri’s character away. They wanted us viewers to feel confused, gutted and betrayed, demanding closure that will never come – because it allows us to empathize with Dany. Still, allowing her – a child thrust into the role of queen – a quiet cry in private after she had ordered Jorah to go find the dragons would have reminded us that her recent arrogant, superior, entitled demeanor is merely part of her public persona. It doesn’t reflect her private personality, what Jorah called her gentle heart, there for all to see in her interactions with Irri.

17. Tina
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot, irri is/was so great! we gonna miss u <3

18. Udi
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Irri is in the night lands with Rakharo and the moon Godess. It is known.
    She will be missed. Great acting by Amrita. So much talent and so gorgeous too!
    All the best.

19. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Irri was invaluable and irreplaceable. All the love to Amrita Acharia for bringing Irri to life. <3

20. Flouride
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:38 am | Permalink

I’m not Norwegian (then again Finns > Norwegians), but I’ll marry her if it helps her to get a EU work visa ;)

21. markazus
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Thank you Amrita for bringing your character to life. Now Irri can join Rakharo in the Night Lands.

22. Ashton Lee
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Who will now say “it is known”? :’( Farewell, Irri.

23. Mean25
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Shame the way she died. D&D didn’t even give us the scene of her death. Such a shame ;( Stupid, just stupid :(

24. Felagund
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Awwww, Irri… <3

25. Duff Man
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I don’t get why in a series where the body count is pretty high already that they feel the need to off “extra” characters that are still alive and kicking in the books.

26. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Thank you, Amrita! <3

You did such a great job on this character and making her even more awesome than in the books (not many of the actors can say that). I was legitimately angry about this particular change, and hopefully we'll get to see Irri's last scene, either in a flashback or on the DVDs. (:

You will be missed. ):

27. Phil
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I am really upset over Irri’s death. I loved Irri in the book and Irri was the last piece of Dothraki left after Khal Drogo and Rakharo passed away. I have no love for Doreah, she may be attractive but I found Irri so much more interesting.

28. The Winter Rose
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Thank you Amrita! We miss you already, but good luck in your future endevours. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future <3

29. Daph
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Irri was so likeable and cute. I liked her scenes with Dany so much. Sad to see her go :(

30. The Kindly Man
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:28 am | Permalink

She will be missed. It is known.

31. Lina
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Thanks, Amrita, for making Irri a fully developed, three-dimensional character. This is definitely one example of when the TV version of the character is far better than the book version. TV Irri was just so memorable and full of personality. I said this in the Ron Donachie thread, and I’ll say it again: I think the supporting cast at times deserves the most credit. They have much less to work with than the main players, yet they give us characters we love and mourn just as much as we do the principles.

I wish Irri had lived, as I think it’s important to have someone around who can give Dany the Dothraki spin on things. I think one of Dany’s greatest strengths as a leader is the fact that she has this stash of worldly knowledge that she’s collected through her travels. And Irri was always eager to share the Dothraki view (I always think of the scene from Season 1 where Doreah says the moon is an egg and Irri really matter-of-factly shuts her down).

That said, I’m not going to whine about D&D killing her. However, I agree that the way she was killed seems unfair. She had no moment! It was off-screen, and we didn’t even get a really emotionally charged moment like we did with Rakharo’s send-off. But if we do see Irri’s death in the House of the Undying, I think it will do her justice. Imagine how much anguish seeing that would add to Dany’s journey in there.

Best of luck, Amrita! I hope to see you in more things soon!

32. fuelpagan
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Killing Irri is one of those changes I hate and love at the same time. I hate that they killed Irri. I’m going to miss her sweet but fiery personality. Amrita brought so much charm to the role I just fell in love with Irri on screen. For the character it is a shame the way she died, for the show, I think it was the right move. I do hold out hope we may see the event in the House of the Undying.

At the same time I love this move by D & D. It was a bold and risky move that they knew would cause a stir and they did it anyway. To kill Irri off was a chance to shock everyone, not just those who haven’t read the books. It makes sense that Irri would die for Dany trying to protect the dragons.

Amrita is a goddess and if I had any artistic talent, she would be my muse. Since I don’t, I will admire her from afar and look forward to seeing her in her next production.

33. Angel
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Duff Man:

Budget reasons and also personnel reasons. Amrita’s work visa was about to expire if in not mistaken

34. John W
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Hopefully the exposure she gained on GoT means we’ll be seeing more of her in the future.

35. Bad Dog
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

The actress certainly did a good job, and the confirmation that she was dead in last week’s episode (I assumed she was alive since I’ve read the books) was a total WTF.
    Yet I must say it was dwarfed by far by some of the other changes from the original storyline that the last episode made – so Irri’s sudden and unexpected death, to me, is just a footnote in an episode with several major WTF moments.

36. Tolgeros
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I shall miss Irri, she was by far my favorite Dothraki handmaiden. Who will say “it is known”? I don’t know if Doreah ever says it.

On a site note, whatever happened to Jhiqui? I haven’t seen her this season. Is she dead or did she not travel with Dany? Maybe she’s just off-screen somewhere. It’s not looking good for Dany’s khalasar.

37. Bad Dog
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Jhiqui never was named, she was just an extra.

38. The Kingslayer
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Not happy about this move from D & D, there is no vital reason to kill this character off. The Dothraki soon won’t exist in Dany’s entourage.

39. Mike from Braavos
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Fire and Blood: Maybe the writers didn’t expect Amrita to inspire so many people with so minor a character.

I’m not happy w/ the change, and I thought Amrita did a great job w/ the role… but do you really think the character added that much to the show?

I mentioned to my two non-reader viewers that Irri never died in the books, and neither of them knew who she was. When I said she was one of Dany’s handmaiden’s they both reacted with “oh, she had a name?”

I don’t like her dying in the show. I agree completely w/ how underwhelming her death was presented on screen. I personally will miss Irri, and Amrita certainly got a raw deal. I just think you may be over inflating the impact the character had on the show in general.

40. Scholesy
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer:
    Not happy about this move from D & D, there is no vital reason to kill this character off.The Dothraki soon won’t exist in Dany’s entourage.

Except for the high probability that the actress will soon be unavailable.

41. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Her death was such a waste, most people didn’t know she was dead. Terribly handled; it made Dany look terrible. She’s screaming “Where are my dragons?” rather than “My friend is dead”?!?!? Dan & Dave are batting on 50% in season 2 in my opinion, with some smart changes and some “let’s throw something against the wall and see what sticks.”

We lost Amrita before she got some sexposition in season 3… a million fans are crying.

Plus, the sass that Irri was showing in season 1 & this season were fun ways that an actor can create dimensions for a character with very little screen time.

Irri was great, it is known

42. The Kingslayer
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Scholesy,

Not buying it.

It seems any time an issue appears D & D either kill or replace, first Conan now Amrita.

43. Scholesy
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer:
    Scholesy,

Not buying it.

Because that is the nature of television, especially with one where the budget is a significant battle ground. Shooting schedules are rigid and you need to know who is available when. If they set a specific shooting schedule and the minor characters are unavailable, there is little sentiment.

44. Rillion
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thank you Amrita for bring life to Irri and your wonderful performance in the show.

As for the character dying, I couldn’t care less. They need to trim Dany’s pack of followers so they can add to it. The show could not afford the screen time in future seasons for all her hanger ons from the books. Although I would agree that they could have shown her death, I prefer on screen deaths to off screen ones.

45. Kingthlayer
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Irri is hot on the railroad tracks. It is bone. I mean known.

46. Lars
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

You will be missed, Amrita! :-) I look forward to seeing you in other productions.

Lykke til!

47. Alatariel
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Just one word:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

48. TheFrozenKing
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Funny i grew up with her here in norway,i must say i was suprised to se her in the show,tobad they killed her off:(

49. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

There is in fact no such thing as a general EU work permit for non-EU citizens, those immigration issues remain subject to national sovereignty. Besides, Croatia won’t acceed to the EU until July 1, 2013. To work there, she needed a work permit from Croatia, which has received the inward investment by HBO with open arms.

Apparently, the real issue is that Amrita lives and works in London, on a UK-only work visa that will expire soon. The GoT role gave her international exposure but they probably only paid her a handmaiden’s ransom, so I suspect she needs additional work in the UK to supplement her income.

Before moving to the UK, Amrita had lived in Norway for six years. Her parents are Ukrainian and Nepali, respectively. She has twice applied for Norwegian citizenship. Norway isn’t part of the EU, but it is part of the European Economic Area (EEA, formerly known as EFTA). It’s citizens have an automatic right to live and work in the UK. I’m not sure what Amrita’s current nationality is, but apparently she can’t get her UK work permit extended on that basis.

Norway has turned her down her second application and won’t let her re-apply until after she has resided in Norway for five of the next seven years. From what I understand, she’d prefer to live and work in L.A. going forward, but she’d need to secure a legal work permit for the US first.

50. Leuf
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

May she ride forever through the night lands.

Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Just a reminder, the Curtain Call threads are here so that those who wish to express appreciation for the actor can do so. If you want to debate the character’s role in the story or the effectiveness of particular scenes, please do so in another thread. Thank you!

52. EponymousMe
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

It’s kind of Fire and Blood’s fault, since most of the curtain call was complaining about how they killed off Irri. If the comments should be solely about the appreciation of the actor, so should the curtain call be.

53. Skipjack
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Amrita, I really enjoyed every minute you were on screen. You really inhabited the character and it felt like I knew Irri. If you end up in Hollywood it’s a loss for Game of Thrones but a gain for Game of Thrones fans and everyone else. I hope to see you on screen soon.

Posted May 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

EponymousMe:
    Winter Is Coming,

Don’t worry, I have set the Mountain on him to ensure this does not happen in the future. ;)

55. Delta1212
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

The Kingslayer:
    Scholesy,

Not buying it.

As opposed to doing what exactly? If an actor isn’t available, you either recast the role or write them out of whatever you need to shoot.

In a show like Game of Thrones, where nobody is likely to go off to college or get a job in another state, writing someone off indefinitely pretty much means killing them.

Personally, I’m sad that Irri died, and I really enjoyed having her and Rakharo on the show. Losing either is disappointing but both is a tragedy. I wish her good luck with her future work.

56. Shinyteapot
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Irri was a much more well rounded character than in the books, and completely believable throughout. I particularly liked the way she started clinging more to Dothraki traditions when in Qarth- due to the unfamiliar environment, grief for Rakharo or both?, using her identity as a Dothraki to keep herself strong.

I hope that death scene is shown at some point (along with a certain series 1 scene we know was filmed but not shown), but either way, I shall remember Irri with fondness.

Best of luck to Amrita in whatever she does next.

57. Kingthlayer
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

stalker

58. KG
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

It is known.

(dabs away tears)

59. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Kingthlayer:

stalker

Huh? What? Amrita discussed her immigration issues in a Norwegian newspaper. I have no personal interest in her, other than her performance in GoT.

Also: how dare you?

60. Kingthlayer
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

just a little joke – I wanted to make sure I would be the only one sitting in the trees outside her house…

61. Sword of the Morning
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately for Irri and others who are alive and well in the books but killed off in the show, is that they are secondary / not essential to the television show. They must be cut for budgetary purposes in order for more important characters from books 3, 4, 5 (Edmure Tully, Ramsay (hopefully!), Brotherhood without Banners, Dornishmen, etc.) to be cast. As much money as they have, HBO cannot afford to cast everyone in the books. There are too many characters and they all need to be paid! Someone like Irri is expendable. Hopefully Doreah comes back though. Roxanne McKee is too hot to not have on screen.

62. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

What? I will not stand for your empty threats, ser.

Hold on, there’s someone at the door.

63. Filo
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Hum … are you going to do a curtain call for Bran and Rickon ?

64. J
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Totally agree. Great post. I will miss her and her fierceness.

65. dizzy_34
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Yeah it wouldn’t be an empty if it was coming from HMR. But staying on topic, great job Amrita!

66. Eos
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I think this has been the one big disappointment I’ve had with the otherwise brilliant show – killing Irri off. I think she may have been my favorite character in the show, especially in season 1. I’m not trying to be a troll, but I think Doreah is/would be much more dispensable a character than Irri, who (and I know it’s been said before) really brought a LOT to the Essos storyline.

In the books I couldn’t even separate Jhiqui from Irri and in the TV series she just seemed like such a full, multidimensional character.

And – Amrita – damn, girl, what a job you’ve done.

67. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Kingthlayer:

A close friend of mine was sexually harassed for months. She didn’t think it was at all funny. Neither did I. But ok, apology accepted. O_o.

68. persephone88
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Irri and Jiqui were pretty much interchangeable non-entities to me in the books. Not so on the show – I loved that Amrita gave her a fierier personality, loved the flirtation and push and pull relationship she had with Rakharro, and that she was the one always looking out for Dany in a protective fashion. So sorry that she met an early demise!!! (Any chance that she might return as Irri’s ‘twin sister’ Jiqui later on? One can hope!) She took a small part and made it very real. Kudos, Amrita, you’ll be missed on the show!

69. Kingthlayer
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

kewl yer jets

70. Tar Kidho
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood: Hold on, there’s someone at the door.

I feel a Curtain Call for the FaBihof coming up…

71. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Great job Amrita, your Irri was a true Dothraki woman! Rock on!

72. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Been waiting for this one, I’ll miss her :( Great Job Ami! It is known.

73. Zach
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

AM RI TA!

AM RI TA!

We’ll miss you.

74. Knurk
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I’ll be monitoring this actress closely because I fell in love with Irri in episode 3 of season 1 (one of my personal favourites) and has been my favourite ‘background’ character since. I sure hope she’ll still get a proper sendoff in the House of the Undying, or else at least on the blu-ray. Great job Amrita!

75. Steel_Wind
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Irri is a minor character with a minor part to play. Would I rather she survived? Yes. Does it matter a great deal to the series? No.

I expect it matters to book readers only.

Now, if the reason for this entire matter was due to entanglement with work visas and so forth? That would be a greatly disappointing “reason” to depart from the overall books when not otherwise required to do so.

76. Joshua Taylor
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Amrita like Ron Donachie before her brought an entire culture to life. As Donachie emphasised the hardass yet honourable nature of the Northmen, Amrita brought to life the fierce, blissfully ignorant and proud nature of the Dothraki. Fantastic job. Given the unfolding circumstances of her departure, I am relieved that my first instinct that she was let go for a reason was correct.

Now let’s toast the cup of Arbor Gold for Amrita’s recasting two seasons later as a Sand Snake!

77. Zyg
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

sung to Queens Bohemian Rhapsody:

Amrita
    Amrita
    Why did D. and D. write you so?
    Pyrat Pree put a cyph on theee
    dead Dothrak…Irriiiiii…….!

posted in jest.

78. Maester Victor
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I was always hoping for the “fat cow” insult to come into play in an upcoming season. Boo!!! Enjoy your ride in the Night Lands, Irri!

79. Zack
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Good grief is she ever gorgeous. I think this every time she was on screen or a picture is posted. Just a complete beauty. One of my top 3 Babes of GoT for sure. So there’s that, as a reason to mourn. A shallow reason.

But she was also giving great effort to bring depth to this minor role, especially in season 1 IMO… and I don’t know how a person could watch her reaction to Rakharo’s death and not feel terrible for Irri. I really do feel like this is one of those rare changes that’s really going to make the show lesser than it might have been, and people should know by now that I’m not that much of a stickler for book details most of the time. Accommodations have to be made in the transition from book to screen. I just hope the decision wasn’t made lightly, and that there was no other choice.

Is it a big deal? No, it was a minor role. But the little things, when as well done as Irri’s character was, are the spices in the soup.

Thanks, Ms. Acharia. Good luck!

80. CalamityJeyne
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

81. Critical Geek
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

See, now that’s what hardcore GOT fans are for: just that slight bit off their rocker to provide marriage offers for actors and actresses in need of work permits. I’d tie the knot myself in this case to see her audition in L.A. :)

82. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

CalamityJeyne: I am not OK with either the fact or the manner of Irri’s death. I didn’t really care about her in the books, but Amrita really brought life into the character and made her awesome. She should have been rewarded with a pay raise, not killed off unceremoniously as a footnote to a surprise plot twist that wasn’t even in the book. If I may venture a possibly dangerous opinion, I think it’s worth pointing out that GRRM had the white Doreah die, and the brown Irri live. D&D reversed this. I think this reflects a racist trope in visual media, an overly casual attitude toward killing off the loyal brown-skinned assistant/guide to give “meaning” to the white hero’s journey. Oh, she gave her life in the service of her mistress! How noble and touching. NOT okay. D&D, I hope I’m wrong and this move on the part of the GOT writing team transcends my initial impression.

I see somebody’s wearing their tin-foil helmet to the party.

83. msd
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

CalamityJeyne: Too lazy to read the comments?

84. CalamityJeyne
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

85. Mike Chair
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I sincerely expect and hope that this is not the last we see of the stunningly beautiful and exceptionally talented Amrita Acharia on HBO. I pray that in whatever she is cast, she’s riding a Harley.

86. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

CalamityJeyne: Steven Swanson, You probably don’t care, but I’m not accusing the writers of being deliberately racist. It’s easy enough to buy into these tropes unconsciously.

Like msd said, read the other posts above. Work permit issues were very likely involved in the decision.

87. MoonCoffee
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Amrita is amazing. Beautiful translator, I will miss you. D&D, put Irri’s deleted death scene on the DVD! One more thing… no more “it is known”? Someone better take Jhiqui out of whatever vanishing cabinet they hid her in for the last seven episodes.

88. BornAmidstSalt&Smoke
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

so there goes my half of ‘it is known’…you shall be missed…where is my other half ‘it is known’ (doreah) btw…

89. The Red Avenger
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I actually gasped “Nooooooooo” when Dany found Irri on the floor. My family watching asked who was that? I said “Irri, the handmaiden” and then the light dawned on them “awwww I liked her” so Amrita definitely left a mark. I have to admit, not knowing how Dany’s story is going in season 2 is a thrilling ride. Yes I know all about Bran, Rickon and Theon, Yes the Battle of Blackwatter is coming but Dany’s story could go anywhere and the show is all the better for it, even if we lost Rhakhro and Irri they’ve made Dany’s season 2 arc far more interesting

Anyway this is the curtain call for Amrita so I’ll just say, she brought a minor character to life and whenever I see her in anything else – she’ll always be Irri

Thanks Ami and good look in the future.

90. GrzebykK
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Who’s gonna talk in Dothraki now?
    Thanks for great creation in such a small role.

91. CalamityJeyne
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

If her work permit expiration date was imminent, I could understand that. But if that were the case, Amrita Acharia wouldn’t have been so surprised at her character’s being killed off as she seemed to be in interviews. They could at least have done her the courtesy of discussing the decision with her.

92. Ser Eld
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I will miss Irri
    She embodied the Dothraki, and showed Dany (and us) that the Dothraki were so much more than mere “savages”…

The Show will be Less without her
    Her presence was known

Good luck to the actress Amrita in the future, you got real talent!

93. Mirax
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 12:20 am | Permalink

We will miss you, Irri. Amrita, thank you so much for doing your job so beautifully. I look forward to enjoying your future projects! ^_^

94. Cat
    Posted May 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Oh man, that was so sad. If Irri has to be dead then CAN THEY AT LEAST BRING BACK DOREAH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE