Extras casting call provides more S3 clues
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.

The casting call for extras for season three has gone out from Extras NI and it provides some tantalizing clues about what may be in store for season three. Here is the casting call:

We require people of all ages & all shapes & sizes, but this year we specifically need:

MALES:
- with short length hair of every colour
- with shoulder length hair of every colour
- all hair lengths with and without good beards
- with short blonde hair
- with long dark hair & beards
- sporty, strong & fit types
- any male amputees

We’re always interested in men:
- with special skills: archery, combat-skills, martial arts, military experience, rowers & sailors
- in smaller numbers we generally require: farmers, butchers, carpenters, iron workers, blacksmiths, weavers, medieval musicians

FEMALES:

- With long natural undyed hair

And men or women that are over 18 and that are under 5ft in height.

We always love to see unusual, timeless and character-full faces.

If you live in Northern Ireland and would like to apply, there are more details at the link above.

Winter Is Coming: Most of that is pretty standard stuff… except for that last bit about men and women over 18 and under 5ft in height. As Westeros.org speculates, there are a number of things this could be for… but only one really makes sense and it is one I think many fans are going to like. Spoilers ahead…

It seems likely they are looking for extras to play the diminutive crannogmen, which would mean the Reeds are in! The prevailing theory is that a group from Greywater Watch will be sent to Winterfell, including Jojen and Meera, and that they will run into Bran and Co. along the way. Either that or David & Dan will pad Bran’s journey even more and have him head to Greywater Watch first, where he will meet Meera and Jojen. Eventually, the latter will tell him they need to go north and their journey will commence from there. But that would mean having to build a new set and possibly having to cast Howland Reed, so that seems much less likely than the other theory. Either way, this whole thing is a good sign for all you Reed fans!

1. Carne
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Could also just be them looking for scale doubles.

Build a normal sized set, hire short people, set suddenly looks huge.

Etc.

2. Rukie44
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

I hope it’s the Reeds. I miss Jojen and Meera.

I wish I lived in Northern Ireland…

3. Owen Parker
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Seems a huge assumptive leap. Couldn’t they be to play wildlings next to giants?

4. The Red Viper
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Oh, yes please! Sexy frog girls FTW!

5. Andrew
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

I think someone else suggested it might be wildlings for shots with giants?

6. The Red Viper
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Or they could build mini sets and make these people look like giants ;)

7. SerCountryFriedStreak
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t it be a Bran dream / flashback to the children of the forest?

Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Owen Parker:

9. Jordan Healey
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Joffrey’s wedding, the two dwarves ? :P

10. Indu
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Hmm, if you’re right about the Reeds, Winter (and I sincerely hope you are, but are crannogmen really that small?), that would be great. Would also give Bran and the gang more stuff to do than just walking around and telling some neat stories. I mean, I liked the Bran chaps in the books well enough, but I think a great deal of people found them pretty boring; on top of that, I’m not sure if they’d transfer well to the screen, with all the dreams and stories and stuff, so a little detour would make sense…

11. Carne
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Could be only their backs shown, or in a way so we can’t see their faces.

12. Andrew
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Well, they’d have to keep said actors out of shots with giants/composite two shots together and half the giants farther off in the distance. It’s not the best way to do it, but if they were trying to save some money from hiring effects houses to do complex CG Giants, it would probably be the next best thing.

13. Carne
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Andrew,

They might hire big and burly people to play giants. Throw on some heavy make up and prosthetics.

Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Andrew, seems like if they’d go to all the trouble of doing that for the acting talent, they wouldn’t really need to cast short extras. They would just have regular sized extras in the shot with the regular sized talent.

15. Owen Parker
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: But how would that work when you have regular sized actors like Kit Harington, Rose Leslie and whomever is going to play Mance Rayder?

For long shots / establishing shots. Might also be seeking to double their established cast as they did with the hobbits in Lord of the Rings.

16. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Didn’t know it had to be in spoiler text since we’re just speculating.

Another option is a certain woman who lives in a hollow hill called High Heart and is one of the Children of the Forest. In fact, while Beric has been brought back to life by the Lord of Light, he’s in the Heart tree roots like a mini-Bran

17. Jon Snow Carter
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I’m thinking Joffrey’s wedding. Are they also casting a pig and a dog? Because that would be a pretty clear sign that it’s Penny and Oppo. (Unless Crunch & Pretty are CGI.) Penny can always be recast for later seasons.

18. LokiRedking
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

The giants are disproportional, as described in the books (eg, shoulder to hip ratio, arm length), and I have trouble believing that human actors (unless digitised) will play them, so I don’t think the diminutive actors are for The Wall.

The scenario under which I could see them wanting to cast many Crannogmen, is if Bran’s first instinct is to head for the Neck, to get to King Rob. At the Neck, Howland Reed’s people might inform Bran of the RW (if the RW were timed for midseason, and not Episode 9, as I would expect), and/or Jojen might convince Bran to head beyond The Wall instead. Meeting Howland Reed would be a great way for the writers to reveal some bits of backstory (like a bit of the Tower of Joy, the Laughing Knight, et al) that have gone untold so far because flashbacks have not been employed.

Another possibility is that they may simply want to cast actors to play performers for court scenes or street scenes. Of course, the casting call should then include requirements for acrobatics and other skills – but it doesn’t.

19. Tattered Prince
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

I’m thinking the over 18 under 5ft tall will be Groat and Penny.
    Peter Dinklage is 4’6.

20. Andrew
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

They’d only have to do that if they really didn’t want to spend money on CG shots, is what I meant. They’ll probably have them CG, or simply not show them with the main cast.

I like the idea that it could be the Children of the Forest. That’d be cool to see!

21. Ser Illin'
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Andrew: I hope the under-five-feet extras call isn’t for the Crannogmen. That’s a pretty specific requirement, and I can’t imagine a lot of actors will meet it, which will either leave them with very few choices for Meera/Jojen, or two crannogmen that are suddenly very tall compared to the others.

Jojen and Meera are children (well, Meera is 16), so I don’t think finding actors of the right size will be too difficult. Plus, Meera might be aged down a bit…if she were an older teen actress, a bit of romantic tension with her and Bran (which I always took away from the text, in the form of a crush) might seem offputting.

22. DH87
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Winter,

You must see many more films needing “male amputees’ than the rest of us…….:)

23. Ser Illin'
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Plus, I can see them keeping the crannogmen extras separate from the Reeds. Have the Reeds meet up with Bran and company on the road, say that Jojen’s dreams led them there. They could even have some cool scenes with Bran, warging in Summer, seeing them slowly put surely approach them. They meet up, and the Reeds could tell Bran that their people are holding the Lannisters/Ironborn/Freys at bay in the Neck.

Later on, we could have a pretty cool fight scene with some enemy soldiers lurking around, then getting hit with poison darts, and finally slaughtered by some tiny little crannogmen warriors.

24. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

If they were hiring for the two dwarves we later learn are Groat and Penny, I think they would specify that they need Little People. Not just someone under 5 feet.

My thought was that it would be to make the giants look taller, but the crannogmen idea is interesting. I like it.

25. Dornishman
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Are Jojen and Meera over 18?

26. Melissa
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

why? why am i so far away? i would love to be an extra

27. OtherAndrew
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Having them play normal-sized wildlings next to giants doesn’t make sense, because these are Northern Ireland extras, not Iceland extras.

28. Sir Pounce
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Why would they go to all that trouble to make the crannogmen small? It’s a minor and unimportant detail and would likely be cut from the series. And that assuming the Reeds are even going to be cast, which I hope they are. Scale doubles for the giant-related scenes seems more practical since using CG for the giants is probably not possible (considering how much it would cost to do it well).

29. Jay Arms
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

OR they’re casting the dwarves that joust on a pig and a dog at Joffery’s birthday, Penny and I forget her brothers name. Or both! They might move these characters to season four or later even… we’ll see.

30. Ser Illin'
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

OtherAndrew: It does make a lot of sense though that the Reeds would need an escort, given the changed circumstances of their arrival (ironborn on the loose, Winterfell burned).

31. Remaal
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t the over 18 and under 5ft tall extras possibly be for the 200 children crucified by Meereen on Dany’s road from Astapor? They can’t use real children for that scene. And they’re going to need a few real crucified people to film and augment in number with CGI.
    I think that’s a much more likely scenario than Crannogmen.

32. Knurk
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Uhm didn’t the Empire-article say we might see a CGI-giant or two at the end of the season? Anyway, IF they’re doing giants they’ll probably do mammoths too, why have them elsewhise? Walking giants aren’t that interesting and don’t add a lot to the show, so if they’re doing CGI-mammoths I’m guessing they’ll make the giants CGI too.

DH87:
    Winter,

You must see many more films needing “male amputees’ than the rest of us…….:)

they’re asking for amputees every year on the casting call, yet somehow I haven’t spotted one in the show. I really don’t know why they want them so bad.

33. sunspear
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Jon Snow Carter,

I doubt they’ll use a pig and dog. They’ll probably just have miniature horses.

34. stephanso!
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I Wish they were looking for giants. My brother is 6’9 and keen to learn lol.

35. OtherAndrew
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Ser Illin’, in the books the North is entirely peaceful when Howland sends out his two children alone, so I’m not sure why you’re concluding that that would always be his preferred approach. An escort with several crannogmen can still be stealthy, and could help keep the kids alive in a now war-torn region. I imagine them being introduced by popping up from the landscape, much like the wildlings in the most recent episode.

Oh and jousting dwarves doesn’t make sense, because they’d ask for dwarves.

36. Justin
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

Exactly what I was thinking! It fits…

I’m looking forward to that episode almost too much.

37. andrea
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Walking giants aren’t that interesting

38. KG
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

DH87,

Don’t judge him!!! ;D

39. Azazelus
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

IMHO it is a huge leap in logic to think that that comment is referring to the Reeds.

I’ve been one of the ones wanting them to show up soon, but really, that doesn’t give me any more hope.

It has to be mainly aimed at casting Penny, or at least someone to fill the role temporarily.

40. JamesL
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

I doubt this is for the Reeds. Are Crannogmen really suppose to be that short? I don’t think so. I”ve always imagined Meera and Jojen looking like typical teenagers not dwarf like. If the adults are under 5ft than they both Meera and Jojen would have to be too and I don’t think that fits their description. I doubt the Reeds will be cast, David and Dan and even GRRM have stated how much they love Natalia Tena as Osha and I don’t think they want to lose her for multiple seasons so they cut the Reeds and Bran and Hodors journey beyond the Wall will be with Rickon and Osha instead of the Reeds. I like Osha too but I would really prefer to see the Reeds with Bran on his journey. Most cuts make sense like not casting Ramsay for this season because that whole arc at Winterfell would be extremely hard to translate to TV, it was even pretty confusing in the books but the Reeds are not a complex addition to the story and can easily be introduced without confusing audiences but they’re probably not going to be because they want to keep Natalia Tena around.

41. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Not necessarily. The type of people the Reeds/crannogmen are would value stealth over strength. Howland Reed would want his children travelling quickly, in secret. Having an escort party would be very un-Reed.

They might want the amputees if they are doing more “hospital tent” scenes with King Robb and Lady Talisa and for other post-battle scenes? And the 18 year and older petite people could be for children of the forest and crannogmen, and I believe the regulations for minors on sets are rather restrictive, so better to use an 18 year-old playing younger?

42. Azazelus
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

BTW Greywater Watch is South of Winterfell, which means that if Bran and co. roll up into the Neck, they’ll have gone a long ways in the wrong direction…

The only way I see the Reeds showing up at all, at this point, is if they’ve been secretly shadowing Bran and co., on orders from their father, since they left Winterfell and headed North

43. Stacia
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Azazelus: Uhhh… OVER 18 and under 5′… I don’t think we’ll be seeing Meera or Jojen naked, folks… Why else would they need to be over 18?

This company only handles casting extras, so this would not be a casting call for major roles The reason for over 18 is to avoid having to deal with any minors on the set who would have limited hours, need a parent or guardian with them and on-set tutoring. It’s too difficult to deal with minors so they avoid it except when absolutely necessary.

44. Skipjack
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

I’m another one who doesn’t see that call as being related to the Reeds, and my first thought was Penny as well. But I really like the idea of padding out Bran’s journey some more at least. Going to the Reeds works for me, as well as perhaps giving more of a sense of danger to Bran’s journey, perhaps he’ll be chased or in some way tracked the whole way. The North might be hostile at that point, with Bolton in control. Perhaps there’ll be a sighting of Bran and/or Rickon, or else as others have speculated Dagmer might be in league with Roose in some way and know that the two kids are still out there and need to be tracked down. Either way, drama added to Bran’s story is bound to be an improvement for television.

45. DH87
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Remaal: And they’re going to need a few real crucified people to film

Now that is what I call an unusual casting call, Winter!

46. NewJeffCT
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Dornishman: hem keeping the crannogmen extras separate from the Reeds. Have the Reeds meet up with Bran and company on the road, say that Jojen’s dreams led them there. They could even have some cool scenes with Bran, warging in Summer, seeing them slowly put surely approach them. They meet up, and the Reeds could tell Bran that their people are holding the Lannisters/Ironborn/Freys at bay in the Neck.

Dornishman:
    Are Jojen and Meera over 18?

In the books, they are not over 18. I think Meera is 16 and Jojen is 13 when they first meet Bran. However, they have been aging the actors up a few years from the books and Jojen is initially called “Little Grandfather” by Old Nan.

47. DH87
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

sunspear: I doubt they’ll use a pig and dog. They’ll probably just have miniature horses.

Damn HBO and its chintzy no-pig-and-dog budget guidelines! Not every mammal is interchangeable!

48. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Because this needs to be requoted:

Stacia: This company only handles casting extras, so this would not be a casting call for major roles.

And again:

They’re not looking for Jojen, Meera, Penny, or anyone named (unless they’re only named because we, as bookies, know who they’re generally supposed to be). They’re looking for people to fill up the background.

49. Suzaku
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Could just be for people to stand next to the Mountain or other large characters to make them look even larger.

Everyone needs to realize that this casting call is for extras, not main cast members.

50. Violentos
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

I feel like moving to Northern Ireland just to audition!

51. nightwolf
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink

would that I lived in Ireland :(

52. Frost Nocturne
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

That was my first thought as well.

53. Alan
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:24 am | Permalink

I would suspect while Penny will show up if we get that far, that the two little people who joust will not be Penny and Groat. It’s a nice little touch, but it’s not really relevant to much.

I could see the call being for entertainment at that wedding.

54. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Diminutive crannogmen eh? Sounds pretty Reedy to me.

Could be for the woods witch though… (*dodges pig shit hurled by Reed loyalists*) #quickerthanJoffrey.

Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

nightwolf:
    would that I lived in Ireland :(

Wouldn’t do you much good, since Ireland and Northern Ireland are different countries. ;)

56. Greedalox
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:04 am | Permalink

The mentioned a need for musicians. They mentioned a need for people with weapons skills. Seems they’ll need a handful with both, particularly musicians with crossbow skills. Hoping for a good arrangement of Rains of Castemere.

57. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:06 am | Permalink

REEDS :D

58. Arthur
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:14 am | Permalink

This sounds like great news to me!

The Crannogmen are suppose to very short and small. (My personal take-away from reading the books is that The Crannogmen are very close “descendant-like” people of “The Children of the Forest”). This would explain their small stature and their almost magic like ability to hide and live in the forest (swamps). It would also explain all their knowledge of the “Old Gods” and how “Greendream” ability runs through their people.

With this casting news I am very happy an confident Bran will get united with his Reed buddies! Awesome news!

Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Maybe they’re casting Children of the Forest.

60. Langkard
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Stacia: This company only handles casting extras, so this would not be a casting call for major roles The reason for over 18 is to avoid having to deal with any minors on the set who would have limited hours, need a parent or guardian with them and on-set tutoring.It’s too difficult to deal with minors so they avoid it except when absolutely necessary.

This.

I think we’re definitely looking at extras casting for people to play opposite “giants” in long range shots. They don’t need named roles for that, just people short enough to contrast with other taller extras in full makeup. Done right, they can establish the presence of giants without needing lots of CGI or having to mix lead actors with them.

But the crannogmen idea also has merits. Especially if there have been some creative changes from the books regarding Bran’s little group. I’d love to see more of the crannogmen. We didn’t get enough of them in the books, aside from Jojen and Meera. And if they do cast Howland Reed for some reason, I’ve always pictured him in my mind as Ian Holm’s Welsh Captain Fluellen in Kenneth Branagh’s film version of Henry V.

The note about actors with short hair hasn’t been discussed, but it is pretty clearly for extras to play Unsullied. I’m not sure about the “short blond hair” requirement. That might also be for Unsullied or some other group in Essos.

Amputees are clearly for battle extras. It’s much easier to stage someone getting a limb cut off in battle if that limb is already gone and it is only a prosthetic being chopped off.

61. Arthur
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Langkard,

You know it is possible for both the “Giants” and “Crannogmen” theories to be correct… I wouldn’t put it past D&D/Production people to be clever enough to kill 2 birds with one stone. I just really hope we get the Reeds. IMO they made Bran’s storyline so much more enjoyable. I love Osha but I much rather have Meera and Jojen accompany Bran.

If they wanted Penny. They would be asking for “Little People”. So I think it is safe to say the Reeds will make it in season 3. And their “villiage people” or whatever will also be used to make the giants seem bigger…

62. Langkard
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 2:24 am | Permalink

Arthur,

That is certainly a possibility. More is better!

63. Jenny
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:09 am | Permalink

What about pig and dog?
    They would be “under 5 feet”

64. GrzebykK
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:24 am | Permalink

I’d agree. Extras, not actors.
    My guess would be the wildlings next to giants.

65. iLikeAxes
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Ah crap. I wish I lived in northern Ireland. I applied to be an extra in a Finnish war movie that was filmed in the are aI live, but I guess I was too big and short haired (6’2, 250 lb) for that, and they wanted people that look like they haven’t been eating for months. Otherwise, I’d pass the requirements for the show easily. I’ve done tae kwon do, kickboxing, boxing, MMA,and lifted weights my whole life and was trained for recon warfare in Finnish army. I can row pretty well, have rowed in a “church boat” a couple of times.

I’ve always wondered though about the Wildlings. Why don’t they have skiis? Everyone’s just walking around in knee deep snow, while skiing has always been a very common mean of transportation in the north and it’s been the difference in many wars where the natives have been ten times outnumbered. The ski pole could also be used as a spear, as you can see in the picture, there’s a pole basket in the dull end.

66. LV
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

LokiRedking:

As long as the series’ storyline concerning Jon Snow’s parents resembles that of the novels, Howland Reed can not be seen on screen until the end – or his character as well as the Tower-Of-Joy-backstory would have to be drastically changed. Howland Reed is one of the most important plot pieces in Martin’s story: He knows too much to be introduced to Bran (or the viewer, for that matter) at such an early point. However, D&D have shown great skill at forming the narrative for television, so it might happen in some surprising fashion, still…

67. stephanso!
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:44 am | Permalink

so…. do they need giants…

68. Ross
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 4:35 am | Permalink

I don’t buy the Crannogmen theory. I think a group of people all under 5 feet will look ridiculous on screen. The wildlings / giants theory sounds much more plausible.

I am also firmly in the camp of people who couldn’t care less if the Reeds are out.

69. Udi
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 5:03 am | Permalink

OtherAndrew,

Good reasoning. I agree. You should be a detective!

70. the waif
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 5:43 am | Permalink

does anybody knows that GAME OF THRONES is just 360 votes away to overtake the FRIENDS in total number of votes….and soon will become the highest voted tv series on imdb.com

game of thrones also gains the third spot in overall rankings….

71. Anonymous Bastard
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Tsk.. clearly Penny & the Other….
    That’s an awfully politcally correct way to look for …well, whatever short people might find offensive used as description…
    Besides, they’ll need more ‘extra dwarves’ the following season(s) once Cercei starts hunting them down, I’m actually bit surprised as this seems to imply Joff is getting wed in season 3…

72. PanchoFrancisco
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 6:17 am | Permalink

I do hope its the Reeds but….is it not perhaps more likely, it being listed in the extras casting and all, that it is the imps that ride the pigs for the wedding? will we get to that in season 3?

73. Ryyn
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 6:23 am | Permalink

iLikeAxes,

I very much agree with you. Thing is though, films, series, literature etc. from USA, tend to show a severe lack of knowledge about how to manage cold, snowy winters. GRRM on the other hand, is just inconsistent. We learn later on in the novels that hill clans south of the wall use snowshoes even for their horses. I find it weird that wildlings with all-year-snows don’t have any means for faster (and safer!) transport.

74. Dan
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 6:41 am | Permalink

ok my types:

Meera – Kaya Scodelario (http://www.newhairstyles.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kaya-Scodelario-hairstyles.jpg)

We already got 2 “Skins” characters, why not the third one :P

Jojen: Kodi Smit-McPhee (http://www.youngmalecelebs.net/galleries/smitmcphee/Mcphee004.jpg)

how do you think?

75. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 8:20 am | Permalink

iLikeAxes:
    Ah crap. I wish I lived in northern Ireland. I applied to be an extra in a Finnish war movie that was filmed in the are aI live, but I guess I was too big and short haired(6’2, 250 lb) for that, and they wanted people that look like they haven’t been eating for months. Otherwise, I’d pass the requirements for the show easily. I’ve done tae kwon do, kickboxing, boxing, MMA,and lifted weights my whole life and was trained for recon warfare in Finnish army. I can row pretty well, have rowed in a “church boat” a couple of times.

Sounds like they could use someone like you:

We’re always interested in men:

If you’re a Finnish national, you have the automatic right to work in Northern Ireland. It’s just that as an extra, you probably wouldn’t be paid enough to cover travel and living expenses.

This particular casting call is for NI, but note that nationals of EEA/EFTA countries (includes all of the EU) have an automatic 90 day work permit in Iceland.

Wrt skis (and snowshoes and dog sleds), perhaps we haven’t seen them yet because the Skirling Pass appears to be just rocks and glaciers. There is still the question of how the wildling team that captured Jon Snow managed to get there, especially if they were sent from a location close(r) to Mance Rayder’s host.

Ski pole + spear = simple but awesome weapon. I wonder if the wildlings would have something like atlatl and macuahuitl as well (substituting flint for obsidian unless that’s available beyond the Wall). Ygritte did mention their steel isn’t as good as that of the Night’s Watch. It may not be as widely available up there, either.

76. Remaal
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

DH87: Now that is what I call an unusual casting call, Winter!

LOL. I guess I could have phrased that a little better.

77. Jillian
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Just a thought, could large crownds of people 5′ and under just make a far shot of a set look more impressive? Might this just be part of a filming technique for shots that establish a set without any main characters, so the idea of the height and space is already in the viewer’s mind. Just a thought as this is just a casting for extras. The only thing that sets my theory aside is if they’ve never requested 5′ and under before, which I am guessing they haven’t.

78. rib246
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Gosh darn it I wish people would read the comments and they’ll see that they are repeating the same darn thing every one else is…. sheeeesh

*might be Penny
    *might be crannogmen i heard they were short
    *I was thinking maybe to contrast giants
    *Probably defintely the reeds

… waiting for someone to say Blackfish.

79. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Dan,

80. skrecycles
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 9:43 am | Permalink

I am sure that it will all be explained in a nude Ros story background segment for us…so let’s just take a wait and see approach. ;-p

81. Pau Soriano
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

rib246:

D
    *might be Penny
    *might be crannogmen i heard they were short
    *I was thinking maybe to contrast giants
    *Probably defintely the reeds

… waiting for someone to say Blackfish.
    d

Welcome to the internet :P

What I find strange is that I really don’t know any ppl under 1,50m that is not a little person…

I really hope they’re not going the “Willow” route :S

I rather have Natalia Tena all the way

82. John
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Well, anyone under 5 feet is almost by definition a little person, as I believe the threshold for that is 4’10″ or under.

83. Dan
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

@Superdeluxe

She would fit as well in my opinion… I enjoyed watching her in “The Tudors” and recently in “The Moth Diaries”!

84. Zack
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

God, but I hate Penny, and where I see that storyline going in the future. “Oh let’s give Tyrion a dwarf woman to have an awkward romance with, y’know, since he’s a dwarf. And he should be with a dwarf.”

But mostly she’s just unbearably boring. Really hope they just cut that part, and this casting call is for something else. I just have a hard time imagining what else it could be for. I think the height thing isn’t really that important to the Reed characters. They can just cast anyone who’s of slightly below average height and it’s fine.

85. Weirwood
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Could they be moving up events from season 4/Book 4-A Feast for Crows?

From Wiki: “Cersei puts out a bounty for Tyrion’s head, resulting in the deaths of many innocent dwarfs throughout the kingdoms as men try to cash in”

86. Mike from Braavos
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Unless we get to see a whole bunch of Crannogmen, I’m guessing the folks who are thinking kids in crowds are much closer to the truth. Seems a bit of a stretch to read Jojen & Meera from that.

Winter is Coming:

MALES:
    - with short length hair of every colour
    - with shoulder length hair of every colour
    - all hair lengths with and without good beards
    - with short blonde hair
    - with long dark hair & beards
    - sporty, strong & fit types

With the variety they’re looking for I think it could be for the wildling army

- any male amputees

…that makes me wonder if they’ll be introducing the Brave Companions (who I had given up hope on).

87. Stephen
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Pretty sure the smaller people are just to make the giants look bigger…or even just make the mountain and Brienne look bigger. In the first season when the mountain stormed off past those two guards after fighting the hound… they were clearly small people as he aint that big! Looking like a giant.
    Unfortunately I think they can tell the story just fine without the Reeds.

88. Jillian
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Superdeluxe: I like her, but her schedule is way busy, you know who is looking for work? Sarah Bolger, she played Mary tudor in the Tudors, her abc pilot was not picked upDan,

^^^ This. She is Meera to me. What a fabulous Mary Tudor as well.

89. you-know-nothing
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

ThePinkDragon,

I think it should be noted that Winter did not say that this casting call was actually for the Reeds but indicated that it could be for Crannogmen, which in turn would imply that the Reeds will be cast. The Reeds will be cast elsewhere, this could just be for a few random Crannogmen escourting the Reeds to Bran & Co.

I whole-heartedly expect to see the Reeds now. I can’t see this being a call for the role of Penny and Groat? as they would specify they wanted dwarves. And the giants WILL be CGI.

90. dizzy_34
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Perhaps they’re going to the Shire.

91. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

the waif: game of thrones also gains the third spot in overall rankings….

Game of Thrones avg votes : 9.333863541
    Breaking Bad avg : 9.206672811
    Arrested Development avg : 9.160898456
    The Wire avg : 9.104536553
    Planet Earth avg : 8.853011119 (Shouldn’t even be on first page).

Yeah i have an excel sheet that i update every 2 or 3 days to get these results, those work-hours have to be filled with some GoT-related content if i want to keep my sanity (or is that drifting into insanity?).

92. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I said it first last week that Osha and her group would meet up with Meera and Jojen at some point on their journey! HA!

93. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I don’t think it’s wildlings they are casting in Northern Ireland because the scenes north of the wall are filming in Iceland so if they were casting for small people to make the giants look bigger they would have the casting call for them in Iceland NOT Northern Ireland.

94. OldGran
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Before we have Joffreys wedding we have Tyrion’s wedding. A lot needs to happen before then.

95. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink
  96. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

ASOIAF Fan: Actually Game of Thrones is first if you take the real numbers (and not the weird math used (but not explained) by imdb) :

Game of Thrones avg votes :9.333863541
    Breaking Bad avg :9.206672811
    Arrested Development avg : 9.160898456
    The Wire avg :9.104536553
    Planet Earth avg : 8.853011119 (Shouldn’t even be on first page).

Planet Earth is a great show. No reason to hate on it…

97. Stephanie
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

John,

I had a friend who was told by her doctor that if she didn’t hit 5′ by her 18th birthday, she would legally be declared a ‘little person.’ But there are lots of genetic forms of little people with different body types.

I would assume that if they wanted Penny, who was described as a dwarf, then they would ask for a dwarf – if they just want short people, then they want folks who look small or young, not dwarfish. Which makes all the comments about the crannogmen, and the couple comments about the 200 children being hanged more logical to me.

98. Shinyteapot
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Stephanie,

If Penny is in later on, I’d expect her to look as she’s described in the book. But for her brief appearance with her brother, where both wear helmets, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if temporary actors (if it’s as in the books, probably stunt actors) play the roles. I don’t think this casting call refers to them though- it’s only two people, and they don’t mention stunts.

If the short actors are to be children of the forest, that doesn’t make much sense for similar reasons unless there is a big change to the story- we don’t meet many of them at this point. Short actors to make giants look taller is possible, but the comments that they should be in Iceland make sense, so I don’t think that’s it.

Crannogmen are a distinct possibility, though I’d be surprised if the show were that specific about their height- I’d expect them to be shorter than average, but if the show is making them all under 5′ that will limit their choices for certain potentially important roles if they are cast. Unless of course this is to make a distinct point about their ancestry?

I’d guess that either Cersei’s call for Tyrion’s head, leading to a slaughter of dwarfs will be in and the actors are needed for that, or they are to play children (seen from a distance or made up to look young) where there would be legal issues with having actual children in the roles- possibly young unsullied, the crucified children or other slaves depending how these things are done.

99. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Stephanie:
    John,

My wife is 4′ 11″ (149.86 cm) tall. She refers to herself as 4′ 10.5″ tall. So, we (her brothers and I) have begun calling her the “smallest human we know” or alternately the “tallest dwarf we know”. Why?

The Little People of America (LPA) defines dwarfism as a medical or genetic condition that usually results in an adult height of 4’10″ or shorter, among both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing condition may be slightly taller than that. The average height of an adult with dwarfism is 4’0, but typical heights range from 2’8 to 4’8.

100. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Yeah, And I had just remembered she was in Spiderwick Chronicles lol.

Dan,

101. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

*cough* Sarah Bolger is in Ireland as we speak.

Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I figured it out:

In their biggest departure from the books yet, D & D have decided to add hobbits!

103. bhd
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Seriously people, THIS IS FOR EXTRAS, NOT CHARACTERS LIKE THE REEDS OR PENNY.

My guesses:

- males with short length hair of every colour
    - males with shoulder length hair of every colour
    - males all hair lengths with and without good beards
    - females with long natural undyed hair

Basically, they just need the same kind of extras they’ve had so far.

- males with short blonde hair

Your typical Lannister men. Lannisters men tend to wear their hair short, from what we’ve seen so far.

- males with long dark hair & beards

Your typical northerner men.

- men or women that are over 18 and that are under 5ft in height.

I also agree it’s most definitly NOT for Little persons. There are a lot of different types of Little persons, but most of them have very recognizable proportions that differ from an Average-sized person who just happens to be kinda short. If they were looking for Little persons, they’d ask for that specifically.

I don’t think it’s for Crannogmen either. Even if we did show adults crannogmen, Bran is on top of Hodor and Hodor’s actor is really tall, Rickon is not very tall either since he’s so young. Natalia Tena is rather short, but would there really be a need to have a bunch of very short extras. Seems overly difficult to find, for a visual look that wouldn’t have that much impact anyway. I’d think that IF we see crannogmen, they’ll show their distinctiveness with appropriate costume, hair, speech, rather then restricting what they could have in terms of types of faces, just to because of height.

My best guess is it’s for very basic visual effects, i.e. just for the 2-3 people standing RIGHT NEXT to someone like Brienne or The Mountain or The Hound.

104. iLikeAxes
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Ryyn,

Yeah, it’s funny sometimes how they perceive the cold temperature and the realities it brings. Recently I laughed at the tweets telling Jon to “hit that”. Wonder how many of them have really tried to have sex in over -15 c. I mean, at army – 5 was the lowest we slept without a tent and oven, one morning I woke up and found my sleeping bag’s foot side was stuck frozen in a “swamp eye” (direct translation from what we call it). Actually, I’d be surprised if someone would make it through the night – spooning a hot redhead or not. Though Abercrombie seems to be doing a pretty good job, I didn’t find alot that irritated in his books.

105. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

They’re looking for male amputees AND people under 5ft tall… So, why not just say, “Looking for men who have been cut down to size”, and kill two birds with one stone?

(*spins bow tie*)

Tough crowd in here.

106. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

We get this is for extras (At least I think most people do), now we are just speculating on what these extras mean.

107. iLikeAxes
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

At least they used to make composite bows, since the northern wood isn’t as good as the hard leaf woods that grow in the south. The bows would be made of birch and “lyly” pine. A “lyly” pine is a pine that has grown crooked, so the below side is hard. They would glue them together with glue made of fish skin (you just take the skin an boil it with a little water til it dissolves) and cover it with birch park. Strings would be made of animal sinew or nettle fiber and arrowheads from bone. The iron was available, I believe they dived it out from bottoms of the lakes, at least I’ve heard of “Lake ore”.

“Ugric bows” from a museum:

108. Mormegil
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

bhd: I agree it’s probably NOT for putting next to giants, since they’re asking for extras in North Ireland. Unless they’ll move out of Iceland and film giants in front of green screens…

Remember Mances army is moving south the whole time and will probably reach the Wall by by the end of Season 3. Any scenes set in the Haunted Forest or by the Wall will probably be filmed in N.I and that includes ones with Giants.

109. iLikeAxes
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Yeah, well can’t make a profile at the @ extras NI, because it’s directed towards people from Ireland. Damn shame, I might have made it to Ireland and that extras thing wouldn’t be about money anyways, since it’d just been cool being part of something like that.

Too bad though I was planning to go to Ireland a while back, but then the girlfriend and kids happened and that’s the point when you let go of your plans :P.

Well, I read from the paper couple of weeks ago that they’re starting to promote Finland as a filming place, maybe I’ll get lucky one day. They actually Filmed scenes to a movie called “Hanna” in Lapland

110. famouskenneth
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Kristofer Hivju, confirmed for Game of Thrones.

Posted May 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

famouskenneth:
    Kristofer Hivju, confirmed for Game of Thrones.

Do you have a source for this? I see you’re from Norway, is it being reported in the press there?

112. Audun
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

http://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2012/05/ryktene-er-sanne/ Norwegian source, but it says that after rumours of him auditioning started circulating he was called in for an actual audition, and that he’s now through to a second round.

113. iLikeAxes
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink
  114. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Very Nice scoop. He is at least onto the second round of auditions.

115. Joakim
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Yep, he’s through to the next round of auditions – not casted. The casting department was apparently very excited about his audition though, so it sounds like he has a shot!

Video of Hivju confirming the rumour at the Lindmo talkshow:

Probably geoblocked.. Which is a shame, because his crazy wild personality really comes through in that clip.

116. robb17
    Posted May 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

i know these are for extras but are the Crannogmen really that short??
    i was thinking adult crannog at 5’5 max.
    still hoping for the reeds

117. Kaeth
    Posted May 19, 2012 at 12:25 am | Permalink

I wish I lived in Ireland. Been growing my beard for several years now I think I could pass as a northman.

118. Langkard
    Posted May 19, 2012 at 6:05 am | Permalink

iLikeAxes:

Iron was readily available. “Lake ore” might be the same thing as “bog iron” which was the most commonly used form of ore for smelting during the Viking Age in Europe. Iron-saturated spring water in shallow lakes, bogs and swamps undergoes chemical oxidation and forms lumps of bog iron. It is then easily smelted. The terrain all around the Baltic Sea is perfect for finding bog iron deposits.

Better quality smelting was a more difficult undertaking, requiring much higher temperatures than just smelting iron in a bloomery. Blast furnaces produced much higher quality iron than the older bloomery process. The oldest known European blast furnaces were located in Sweden, at Lapphytan and similar places, dating back as far as the 12th century. So, again, far Northern and Northeastern Europe is at the forefront in this as well. It is reasonable to think that Finno-Ugric peoples learned the techniques from the Swedes and then smelted their own local bog iron or traded with the Swedish sources, perhaps trading raw bog iron for finished smelted iron.

119. Erica
    Posted May 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Or perhaps they’re bringing in the Children early. The crannogmen aren’t “that” short.

120. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

iLikeAxes:
    Yeah, well can’t make a profile at the@extras NI, because it’s directed towards people from Ireland. Damn shame, I might have made it to Ireland and that extras thing wouldn’t be about money anyways, since it’d just been cool being part of something like that.

Under EU law, an employer MUST NOT discriminate against job applicants from another EU country. If you really want to be part of this and the online profile form isn’t set up to accept your data, you’re free to call extrasNI and demand the right to apply via snail mail. Doesn’t mean they’ll hire you, of course.