Episode 18 – The Prince of Winterfell – New Viewer Recap
By Winter Is Coming on in Recap.

After tonight’s episode of Game of Thrones, only two remain. Tell us, new viewers, what did you think of tonight’s episode? And what do you think will happen in these final two episodes? We Do Not Sow gives his thoughts and predictions below.

Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is primarily for non-book readers (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask all the series veterans to refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

We Do Not Sow: War is coming! I feel like Stannis set sail years ago from Dragonstone. As I sit here remembering what this week’s episode had in store for us, all I can think about is the ships landing in King’s Landing next week. I have made this remark about previous episodes but this was truly a set ‘em up episode, so over the next two weeks they can knock them all down and tease us for season three. It wasn’t a slow episode by any means either, I think the first time I looked at the clock we were three quarters of the way through. By the way, I hate knowing the episode is close to ending and knowing you won’t be able to get the answers or the conclusion you wanted for that week, but that’s why we watch isn’t it?

Let’s start beyond the Wall this week. Seriously, how dumb can Jon Snow be? He should have killed this girl in the very beginning, then he took her as his prisoner and needed her to survive and now we find out that because of him the rest of the scouts that went out except Qhorin are now dead. The only silver lining in this is if Jon actually does go double agent on the wildlings and is accepted as one of them. Otherwise, looking back at last season I was so excited for Jon and the others to go beyond the Wall but I also thought Jon would have a little more backbone than he has shown this season.

I was relieved that they didn’t carry out the Bran and Rickon question for multiple weeks. After I wrote last week I thought that they might not give us the answer until the season finale or even until next season. How clever are they to be living under Winterfell now? I loved that, now, if I can only figure out the three eyed raven and Bran fortune telling dreams.

I finally think that Arya is going to give Jaqen a meaningful name but no. It was a funny and lighthearted scene where she gives Jaqen his own name but I really did think that Arya would give Jaqen one of the names she was repeating before she slept earlier this season. I really enjoyed Jaqen and the way he cleared the gate and killed the other two names for Arya was great, I hope we do hear more from him. It would have been nice to have Arya ask for Tywin, or Joffrey but I got to say, Arya’s journey so far has been great, she is becoming one of my favorite characters now.

So Dany is all set to sail now except she doesn’t have her dragons and I think she will do whatever it takes to get them back. Over the next two episodes hopefully we get a little more progression from this side of the story.

Moms are always cramping our style, especially Robb’s. Not only does she have to go reminding him about his promise to marry another right after talking to Talisa but then she goes and sets Jaime free. Well not really free, but Robb lost his prisoner which means he now loses a little more power although I do think this Brienne and Jaime story arc could be a lot of fun. We shall see where it goes!

Is anyone else this excited for next week? I have been itching for Joffrey to get what’s coming to him and to see some great war scenes.

1. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Amazing episode, hoping that we have not seen the last of Jaqen?

2. Kyle Holiday
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

the pace was slow and not much happened which in my opinion made it great, sort of a quiet episode that had a lot of emotion. It was definitely the setup for events much bigger, but the calm before the storm can be just as enjoyable.

3. Nobby
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

What happen to Jaken?

4. Renly's Ghost
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Very slow episode, but still enjoyed it. Nice to get the confirmation that Bran and Rickon still live. With Twin and Arya leaving Harrenhall, is that the last we see of it? Jaqen, too?

I’m curious about how Brienne reacts if Robb’s troops catch up and try to receive the Kingslayer. She’s sworn to Cat, so will she refuse Robb’s orders? Bring on the battle!

5. Megan K.
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Overall a good episode but not one of the most “shocking” endings. I guess it is a good setup for what is to come. Dany’s story seems to be going along real slow, however there was a hint from Varys that the people of Westeros will soon know of her and the dragons. Next week’s episode looks awesome I can’t wait!

6. vlyman
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

quiet and kind of beautiful episode. I’m still not sure about Robb’s lover girl, I’m starting to trust her more but I still think she could be a spy and somehow she doesn’t ring right. Same with Shae – she’s pretty, but I’m just not sure why Tyrion is so taken with her.

I was truly disappointed that Jamie was freed. I think Robb did the right thing by taking his mother prisoner, I have to say. I’m not sure it’s realistic that she would have set Jamie free, after all his offenses, and continual insults at her. Until now, she was my favorite character, but that was just a stupid silly thing to do. Why – to get Sansa back? I’ll be surprised if she actually does. They promised her Arya and they don’t even have her, so I’m not sure why they would give up Sansa. It was a stupid move. Plus Sansa is hardly worth it.

I haven’t read the books but I can tell from some of the discussion on here that Jamie and Cersei are going to be around for a long time, and I find it kind of disappointing.

It’s a pity that in this series so far we’ve mostly only seen good men get hurt. We haven’t seen any of the more evil people harmed. Gets a little frustrating.

7. Marco
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

So Verys is getting updates on Dany from Quarth. So is Sir Jorah still spying and reporting back?

And Rob’s new GF is hot.

8. phoenix
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

I can’t believe there are only 2 episodes to go!! Does anyone know when season 3 will air?
    As far as the episode goes, not much happened. I am thinking about Ros (I think that was the prostitute they caught) and I wonder who was manipulating things behind the scenes in Tyrion’s favor? I’m guessing Varys, but it might be Littlefinger as well. Whoever she was, she must have been promised big money and safety.
    Theon has to be realizing at this point that he’s totally screwed. And I predict we’ll see Jon “go native” a bit.

9. phoenix
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Marco,

varys said he “heard a song”… maybe he has more than one spy?

10. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:08 am | Permalink

I hope that all the non-bookies didn’t leave after the last few negative weeks — I like reading y’alls’ comments, so I can gauge how the show is working as a standalone thing. :’(

11. vlyman
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:20 am | Permalink

ThePinkDragon,

Negative in terms of the chat on here or negative in terms of too many characters we like dying and all the shitty evil ones getting away with it …. ?

12. Dogmayor
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:31 am | Permalink

vlyman,

13. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

vlyman,

Well, the show is getting darker than usual, sure, but negative also because a whole bunch of book-readers kept coming in here and trashing folks from time to time. I saw a few people go “fuck it, not coming around anymore if the fans are gonna be like this.”

So ‘negative’ in a few ways, yeah.

14. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Dogmayor: Amory Lorch, The Tickler, Janos Slynt, Grand Maester Pycelle, the men who tried to rape Sansa would all like to have a word with you.

I hardly consider those “characters.” They made one or two appearances on screen and then were dead. I mean people whose stories we are actually engaged with. I’m just saying on balance, with good and evil, the good guys/gals are loosing and the horrible people retain the upper hand. Just not that satisfying.

15. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Gah, I keep wanting to say something, but I won’t, because I’m polite. ;)

16. Dogmayor
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:06 am | Permalink

death to lannisters,

How is ‘the good guy always wins’ satisfying?

17. Dogmayor
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

death to lannisters,

Also, there’s only been one ‘major’ character death so far, and that’s Ned. All of the other ‘good guy’ characters that have died so far have been just as prominent as the characters that I’ve mentioned, so I can’t see how you’re justified in your assertion. Robb is winning the war after all.

18. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Do you guys use the Game of Thrones Wiki at all? I think it helps, personally, even for a book reader like myself. I know the TWOP users don’t — they feel a show should stand on its own — but for the rest of you who don’t care about that kind of thing, it’s not full of spoilers. In fact, that’s against the Wiki’s rules. Most characters do have a section for ‘in the books,’ but it mostly gives a brief explanation of said character’s role in the books when they first appear. It doesn’t tell you what happens to them, or, well, anything about their status at all.

For example, Rickon’s ‘in the book’s section says (in spoiler tags only because some of you might want to be pure of even the Wiki):

In the Song of Ice and Fire novels Rickon is three years old when the action begins. He is very young, but fierce and strong for his age.

So in my opinion it’s a useful resource. YMMV.

19. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:26 am | Permalink

However, the GoT Wiki is NOT the same as “A Wiki of Ice and Fire”, which WILL spoil the hell out of you, so don’t get the two confused. First is for the show, second is for the books.

20. Alan Lovejoy
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:27 am | Permalink

As a book reader, I am deeply committed to not spoiling anything. I’m disgusted with those who do.

I had a real problem fully appreciating the LOTR movies because of the deviations from the books. But I’ve learned my lesson, and so I’m finding that I have no problems at all with the book deviations in the GOT tv adaptation. In fact, I think many of the “news” scenes have been absolutely fantastic.

I generally avoid reviews by book readers. And comment threads by book readers. It’s the comments of the non-book readers that I really enjoy. I want to hear your reactions, hear what you think, what you surmise.

I’ve really enjoyed season 2 so far, and liked this episode a lot. I wouldn’t say it was the best episode, but not because it was flawed in any non-trivial way, but rather because there weren’t really and epic events.

21. Arthur
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:32 am | Permalink

vlyman,

Cat set Jaime free, from the TV series perspective, because if she didn’t the angry banner men in Robb’s camp were going to behead him. If they did that in retribution her daughters would have been killed.

So rather then risk that, Cat sent Brienne on a mission to take Jaime to KL and trade him for her daughters.

Make better sense now?

22. gotgotgot
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Slow episode and not much happened.
    I love the show. But it is very ANNOYING to wait weeks for the next episode to be aired.
    I will give it to HBO. They do a great job at teasing each upcoming episode so the viewers think THIS next episode will be epic.. then .. we watch it.. and not much happens.

Cat letting jaime free was totally stupid. That really pissed me off.
    The reveal of bran being alive was nice. Even though I was 99% sure they were alive anyways as the last episode didnt really do a a good job at fooling the audience into buying into the death of bran.
    Love Tyrion. Every scene he is in is just great.
    The Arya storyline was getting old.. I am glad its over with giving that dude same names to kill. And Arya serving Tywin was getting old and stale too.
    I want dragons.
    I want wolves.
    I want whitewalkers.

But it looks like we will finally be given a battle scene in the next 2 episodes. Which is great. The budget limits are really starting to become obvious along the way episode to episode.

S1 9/10
    S2 so far 8/10

23. Billish
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

gotgotgot,

I want clever dialogue: And I got it.
    Patience fellow fan.

24. gotgotgot
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Billish,

Oh I liked the episode. I just want to watch them back to back to back

25. H.K.
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Great episode, Tyrion is the boss as always, but i have to say it: this Talisa-thing is boring as fuck.

26. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:11 am | Permalink

I’ve spent entire FotR trying to find where the movie deviates from the books and in retrospect, it was retarded. I didn’t do it at Two Towers and Return of the King, I just sat in the theater and enjoyed those spectacular movies.
    There are bad adaptations and there are good adaptations. LOTR was an amazing adaptation and so is GOT.
    I judge the changes by whether they make sense in a world described by the author or not. 99% of the changes in GOT make sense. The remaining 1% is just a minor nitpicking.

27. AikenDrum
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Dogmayor,

I guess Khal Drogo could be mentioned as well as a kick-ass character that people liked and died. But then again, Viserys certainly was not very likable at all…

28. Eric
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:30 am | Permalink

29. Rob
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:36 am | Permalink

How is every episode so great for everyone?

30. Rob
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Dogmayor,

simple minded viewers can’t comprehend bad guys winning. It doesn’t conform to cookie cutter logic.

Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Eric:

Yes. Please book readers, I know you mean well, but please refrain from coming in here and explaining things to the non-book readers. Just let them figure it out for themselves. Also, a discussion about how you approach this adaptation as a book reader really should not be in this thread. Thank you.

32. Zigzag7
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:30 am | Permalink

I’m enjoying the show but I feel like it would be better for it to have an extra episode or two. Scenes seems really disjointed and forced at times. Notwithstanding costs, it could be an episode that is more dialogue rather than action (indoor sets even), fleshing out some more of the story. Scenes with Sansa and that Hound guy, Arya’s interactions with Gendry and Hot Pie, the Thirteen and Xaro’s machinations, Yara, the old guy who got his beard cut off (but shown in ep 10 of the first season to be not so brittle and meek…) and Morment’s men really look like they could use more screentime. :S

33. Daniel
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

vlyman,

34. Lyne
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:57 am | Permalink

non book reader here….

why are some people saying that Cat set Jaime free? That is not how I understand it. From my perspective, she sent Brienne with a Jaime as a hostage to King’s Landing to negotiate the release of her daughters. Granted is was a very very stupid move indeed but I wouldn’t say she “set Jaime free”. The old Robb might have agreed with her but the new Robb’s priorities have changed and in the bigger scheme of things, Jaime is worth more than the two girls though I love them very much. Jaime is a leader, a fighter and will inflict more harm to Cat and her son’s cause once he reaches the other side. I predict she will live to bitterly regret that decision. As much as I like Brienne, I feel Jaime will make quick work out of her. She is “honourable” and we all know where that sort of honour leads and we know from last week’s episode that Jaime is a man without honour.

ok now I get to totally fangirl: More Naked Robb please! :-) Richard Madden is 31 flavors of delicious!

35. STAY OUT
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thank You…last week I said some comments regarding the book readers and I don’t wanna repeat myself. But the truth is there is no place on the internet for TV-only fans to discuss the show, and I appreciate your attempt to make this space available for us. I don’t understand why book readers keep commenting, it just makes no sense to me. Even when they’re not compromising the show with veiled spoilers or smugness about knowing the outcome of everything, they are starting to ruin the one place I can discuss the show with people who are on the same page as me. Pun intended. STAY OUT BOOK READERS PLEASE.

36. vlyman
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Arthur,

Not really because first of all, there are no “daughters” to be set free – only one daughter, Sensa. And Sensa is not worth Jamie, honestly. Cat should have let Robb’s bannermen kill Jamie. He will do much more harm to their cause once he is free again, and he’s done more than enough already. I am not sure how “free” Sensa will be anyhow, if she already has king sadist baby in her womb. This may have been all for naught. I understand Cat’s logic, but I think it was a very poor decision.

37. vlyman
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Dogmayor,

I consider Khal Drogo to be a major character. Not that he was explicitly good or bad, which to me isn’t what the series is about, but on balance I really liked him, and so did my eyes. The best men keep getting killed off. The rest are all boys (not men yet) or perverts, which isn’t very satisfying to the female viewer. I guess Robb is getting there, and Stannis maybe, but we haven’t seen enough of him to invest in him the way we had with Ned and Khal Drogo. Even King Robert, while not a great king was a great male character, got killed off.

38. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Dogmayor: How is ‘the good guy always wins’ satisfying?

I didn’t say “always.” However, good guys winning is more satisfying than bad guys winning. And this isn’t a simple good/evil paradigm, that’s not how I judge a show or a story, obviously life is way more complex than that. But I do want justice for the Starks, I do want to see Eddard’s death avenged (he was my favorite character), and I do want to see more of what I would consider “justice.” And yes, I DO want to see the Lannisters suffer. (all but the dwarf).

39. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Eric,

Eric: Once again this thread is dominated by book readers throwing in their unwanted two cents.

Eric, relax. Book readers aren’t ruining anything in this conversation, everyone is welcome as long as they are careful not to spoil. Pink Dragon has been great.

40. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Her ONE little girl. The Lannisters only have Sansa to trade! They certainly haven’t been ones to keep promises in the past, so I say it’s a bad gamble.

41. vlyman
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Lyne: From my perspective, she sent Brienne with a Jaime as a hostage to King’s Landing to negotiate the release of her daughters.

Interesting, I hadn’t really realized this. I still wonder if it will all work out – highly unlikely. I hope it didn’t weaken/dishearten Rob too much. Oh well, at least he’s got a hot new girlfriend to make up for it. Will she be inspiration or distraction? Or is she a spy?

42. Johnny Reno
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

vlyman:
    Arthur,

Not really because first of all, there are no “daughters” to be set free – only one daughter, Sensa.And Sensa is not worth Jamie, honestly.Cat should have let Robb’s bannermen kill Jamie.He will do much more harm to their cause once he is free again, and he’s done more than enough already.I am not sure how “free” Sensa will be anyhow, if she already has king sadist baby in her womb.This may have been all for naught.I understand Cat’s logic, but I think it was a very poor decision.

As far as Cat is concerned, she’d been told by Littlefinger that they had BOTH of her daughters. Any mother would do the same thing. You’re clearly not a parent, or else you’d get this. It doesn’t matter if your daughter is the best seamstress, or the best warrior, or even a cripple – if you’re a parent you want them safe and happy.

Also, Cat trusts Brienne 100% that she can get Jaime to Kings Landing without him breaking free. In her eyes, Jaime was going to die anyways, so she might as well have made a play for her daughters’ safe return. She had to do this while Robb was away as he would never agree to it.

43. Solar
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

death to lannisters,

no they aren’t. Winter is Coming, the guy who runs this site just said for book readers to stay out and not comment.

44. Valyrian
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Fellow book readers: we should know when we are not wanted. I say we break camp and go back to fighting against the Purist Armies in our thread =D

45. Daniel
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

People are saying this episode is one of the worst, but I gotta disagree. I think this is one of the best so far this season. Throughout the whole season many of the episodes have been consisting of random scenes that didn’t really connect. Granted this season has gotten a whole lot bigger with more characters, locations and storylines, and they have done a great job putting it together, however I though this episode really had some of the best editing so far. Aside from Daenerys all scenes seemed to connect.

Okay on to the story:

Samwell, so glad we got more of him only if it was only for one scene. He’s one of my top 5 characters, and I have a feeling he’ll get his own storyline now that Jon is gone and with the bag filled with the black glass tips seems to be important. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud by Doloures Edd’s remark at the end of that scene.

Tyrion got some great scenes this episodes, and the Bronn interactions were hilarious.

Finally Jon Snow’s story got somewhere, and what’s great about this show is the constant introductions of new colorful characters like the Lord of Bones guy. And wow those location shots look amazing. But just one thing, where the hell is the direwolf, Ghost? Hasn’t it been gone for like two episodes now?

I was put off a little but the whole Talisa childhood speech though, but the love scene between her and Robb were amazingly done and not in that vulgar way we’ve seen the show done before. Loved her little giggle at the end, easy to see why Robb is falling in love with her.

Jaime continues to surprise me, he started as a complete unlikeable guy, but somehow he’s slowly becoming one of my favorites. He really does have some amazing one liners, especially towards Brienne. Epic.

Arya continues to have to best storyline so far, hope this is not the last we see of Jaqen.

The writing in Daenerys’ storyline still seems weak compared to the rest of the show, I don’t know what it is. It just seems off. Wondering about House of the Undying though and what it is, can’t wait.

Ohh and yeah another one of my new faves appeared tonight, Davos is such a great character. The relationship between him and Stannis seems real special, loved everytime Stannis said something about him, Davos would joke alittle about it while Stannis maintained total pokerface, which seemed to not bother Davos at all. Next episode will be amazing.

Along with Arya, Theon’s story seems to be the most interesting. Love the actor playing him and thought the scene between him and his sister was amazing. I kinda figured the two dead children were not Bran and Rickon, so wasn’t surprised to see them alive. Hiding underneath in the crypt though was a nice touch and a perfect way to end this episode with Luwin and Osha wispering.

46. The Young Wolf
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

While sexing up Talisa isn’t the best strategic move…..she’s fucking hot.

I need more Jaime!(doesn’t he become a POV character is ASOS?) one of my favourite characters on the show. Dumb move by Catelyn trying to trade him for Sansa/Arya….and they don’t even have Arya!

47. Daniel
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Oh and I really recommend a Game of Thrones Wikia, it complete spoiler free (asuming ofcourse you are up to date with all episodes shown so far) and they have a very strict spoiler policy. If you have trouble with all the characters and who’s who, you guys should really give it a go, it’s very helpful and I only got to appreciate the series more.

48. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

where have all the wolves gone? Sansa’s was killed, Arya had to set hers free (I’ll bet we haven’t seen the last of it), Jon Snow’s was last seen wandering off (obviously we haven’t seen the last of that one either) – but what of Robb’s and Bran’s? It’s a little glaring that they’ve been missing for so many episodes now. Where do they ‘hideout’ when not on screen?

49. bigswerg
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

death to lannisters,

we saw Bran’s and Rickon”s wolves last week as they were walking near the farm where Theon killed those people

50. Mike
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I’m a book reader but I always prefer the non-book readers section because the reactions here are more refreshing. Less whining too :)

51. Yellow Dog
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

It’s gonna be 90′s and miserable outside all Memorial Day weekend here in the South, so I’m looking forward to turning off the phone, cranking up the AC, pouring some wine and re-watching the first eight episodes.

Then watching Season 1 BluRay DVD.

Then Season 2 again – timed to finish at 9 p.m. Eastern on Sunday.

Then at least three re-watchings of Episode 9 on Monday.

Then re-read Number 3 of Storm of Swords.

52. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I won’t disagree on Robb’s (Grey Wind), but Bran’s wolf (Summer) has been seen the most of all the wolves. He was in each of the last two episodes, and about three different episodes earlier in the season. That being said, I think this was the first episode this season with no direwolf sightings.
    death to lannisters,

53. BornAmidstSalt&Smoke
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

kinda nice ‘calm before the storm’ episode…seeing yara actualy has a bit sisterly care for theon…and is jon has to kill halfhand just to gain the wildling trust?…cat move to release jaime was stupid but i glad brienne is with him…and when tywin said ‘we ride tonite’ i said damn, there goes my tywin-arya fix tonite, and forever?…those spear glass thingy find by sam seem kinda important…and joffrey want to give stannis a ‘smile’ kinda remind me of joker in tdk…although i not surprise those burn kids wasnt bran and rickon but i am surprise to found they hide in the crypt…smart move, i hope…

and lastly…given the size and weight of brienne and jaime, i was in doubt and scare that the small boat could hold them both…but when they’re off i could clearly see the water level is deeper on jaime side than brienne’s, whose suddenly seems lighter and a bit smaller from behind…

54. Jeff Cary
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

gotgotgot,

remember this is an epic story… it’s really just getting started. we’ve several seasons to go!

55. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Jeff Cary,

I know! I want faster payoff! lol

56. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

it should actually be on every night, for months at a time, that way we would get to the end quicker! I know I know book readers – don’t get all up in arms – I know the author is still working on the books …

57. ney
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I loved Tyrion’s threat to Cersei!:

“A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you’ll know the debt is paid”

Can’t wait for this day!

58. Sergey
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I really liked the exposure Stannis got in this episode. His conversation with Davos made him a lot more sympathetic in my eyes then he was prior. Kinda curious to see what happens in the siege with some likable characters being on the opposite sides. Stannis + Davos vs Tyrion + Brann.

And Catelyn… sigh. She so vulnerable to emotional manipulation sometimes, she really should know better then to trust Littlefinger at this point.

59. Ellabee
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I thought the episode was good, I could listen to Tyrion talk all day long! Any conversation he has with ANYONE is so clever and entertaining.

I cracked up when Bronn said, “I like to keep my hands clean” Really? You do? Lol

One request, more Jon Snow and the men of the Night’s Watch please! I wish more time was being spent on this storyline
    I am waiting for something truly fantastic to happen….this episode teased quite a bit-

I will be counting down the days until next Sunday! :)

60. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I like Stannis too – did from the beginning. Like his sticklerishness for the truth – like when he insisted on calling Jamie a “king slayer” and on taking the word “beloved” out of his description of his brother Robert.

Why didn’t Robert reward him with the corner of the kingdom he held in Robert’s name during the rebellion? Why give it to the little brother instead, who is last in line and didn’t fight for or win it? Seems rather thankless of Robert and a bad decision.

I had nothing against Renly personally, but he had no just claim to the throne, so it’s better he’s dead! Sorry Renly lovers.

61. Restore The Day
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Lyne,

Ah? Robb was naked in this episode? Sorry I missed it, i must have had my eyes occupied … elsewhere :)
    OoooOoOOoOOnaaaaaa….

62. New Wolf
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Not a lot happened in this episode. It was still enjoyable because it’s Game of Thrones. There was a feeling that something will happen, just not yet. I guess it’s because the episode had scenes with a lot of characters. I think this episode showed us the more characters than any other episode. Still, there was a lot of great dialogue.
    Jaime and Brienne are great together. Arya smartly escaped and I have a feeling she will join the Brotherhood soon. Whatever that is. Vasyris is one of my favorite characters so its always nice to see him. The lovebirds (Tyrion & Shae and Robb & Talisa) were cute.
    I can’t wait to see how the attack on Kings Landing will turn out! I just hope Joffrey will get killed.

63. I Know of Fear
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Theon is an idiot. He really thought he could keep his actions secret by killing the ravens? As if nobody would notice a loss of communications. And even that was assuming messages had no already been sent to Robb, various bannermen, Varys… I think even Tywin knows by now. I’m glad his sister pointed out that he hasn’t been around enough to know strenghts/weaknesses of his people.

I’m glad Dany is off to see the warlock. I’ve been undying to know what’s in his house. I’m not to worried about her safety or her being manipulated via her dragons. We’ve already seen that hostages aren’t useful in this show: Ned, Jamie, Arya, Jon Snow, Ygritte, Bran and Rickon, Shae. It’s time to give up on the idea of trading hostages for anything.

Cat was stupid for letting Jamie go. I defended her choice to capture Tyrion, but she can’t believe Brienne of Tarth is a good enough negotiator to exchange prisoners. Arya was also stupid, but I can forgive her because she so young. Killing Tywin would not save her family from bannermen who are still loyal to King Joffrey. I was glad to see her name Jaqen himself, because I still don’t think she should be friends with a sociopathic serial killer. But now I’m even more worried the he is still alive and has taken offense to her lack of honor.

Tyrion was stupid for running straight to Shae after find out she might be safe, there’s no telling who saw him in such a hurry. In general I still say he should quit playing Captain-Save-A-Hoe, he’ll only get burnt. But that prostitute that Cersei dragged out, is that the same woman Joffrey wanted beaten? If so I’m glad she’s alright (relatively speaking).

I enjoyed the history of the Onion Knight. I’m a little pissed that Varys never did say what he wanted, he is the most opaque character on the show. Robb needs to remember the duties of highborn men, his mother literally warned him about women like that. Cersei needs to stop think everyone is out to get her family, and Joffrey needs stop worrying about appearing “strong” in public. Bran and Rickon were no surprise. I’ll be waiting to see the battle next week.

64. Broadside
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Poor Ross, she”s really getting the short end of the stick lately :P. Slow episode but I did like it. Seems there’s a lot of setup working towards the final two. It was pretty obvious that the two burned childerns wheren’t the Starks so that didn’t come as a surprise. What did surprise me was Catelyn freeing Jamie. Pretty big mistake although knowing he’s in the hands of Brienne gives some comfort. I really hope we get to see more of Stannis in the last two episode, stil love the whole dark righteous vibe he’s got going :D. Peter’s performance blows me off my feet every time, loved the scene with Cersei, Shae, and later Varys. Boy is he a great acto.

65. Theon Rules!
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Non book reader here (well at least, I haven’t read past Game of Thrones yet)

Good episode, but I guess I was expecting more. I feel like all season we’ve been saying “Good setup episode. Get ready for next week. It’s going to be action packed!” but it just hasn’t happened yet. I realize next week is probably going to be epic, but I just feel like this season has failed to live up to the standards season 1 has set forth.

Question to people who have read the books: Does this have to do with Clash of Kings just being a lower quality book compared to Game of Thrones? I feel like the lack of Ned Stark has A LOT to do with it for me because he is/was such a great character, but at the same time, I just feel like the plot kind’ve just is too slow or something. I feel like it lacks purpose and just gets lost. I am in the process of reading Game of Thrones right now, and will probably read Clash of Kings this summer once season 2 is over.

WHAT I LIKED
    1. Jamie and Brienne
    This has potential to be awesome. Two polar opposite characters. I hated Jamie in season 1, but these past few episodes I’ve been getting the Sawyer (from LOST) vibe from him and I like it alot. He’s witty and badass and it makes for some good comic relief.
    2. Roose Bolton
    I was really disappointed this season when they appeared to have axed Greatjon Umber’s character because I really enjoyed his scenes last season. He put a face to Robb’s bannermen for me. Roose Bolton does the same for me. He seems like a really ruthless man and it’s interesting to see him an Robb interact because while the show wants us to view the North as the “good guys”, it appears Roose may not fit the stereotype. It’d be cool to see him get a larger role.
    3. Tyrion/Bronn and Tyrion/Cersei Interactions
    Peter Dinklage is the best actor on the show. Tyrion and Bronn always share hilarious interactions and Tyrion and Cersei always share “WOW” interactions. They have a great dynamic together. Over the past few weeks they have appeared to have maybe been growing closer, but after this week, it seems to have gone back to the way it was between them.
    4. Arya/Jaquen Humor
    That whole scene was funny. It reminded me of a school yard name calling contest. “Take it back!” If Peter Dinklage is the best actor on the show, Maisie Williams is a close runner up. Hopefully we have not seen the end of Jaquen!
    5. Varys
    Good to finally see Varys back! Love the relationship he has with Tyrion as well.
    6. Davos/Stannis scene
    Another “WOW!” scene. While these two characters may not be flashy, their relationship is awesome. Also, cool to learn how Davos got his name (even though I had already read the back story elsewhere). I will definitely be on Team Stannis next week, as he tries to take King’s Landing.

WHAT I DISLIKED
    1. Absence of Littlefinger
    Littlefinger is one of my favorite characters, so anyone week he is left out is saddening.
    2. Tywin/Arya Storyline coming to an end (for now?)
    What has been the bright spot of the season in my opinion, appears to have come to an end. I really would have liked to have learned what Tywin knew about Arya that he had not yet let slip.
    3. Jon’s Storyline
    I just really don’t like Jon’s character. He’s always come off as a bit whiny to me. And I also feel like since he’s off on his own, he has taken away from some of the characters in the Night’s Watch (Sam, Edd, Commander Mormount) that I do like.

66. Ritas Smith
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Kyle Holiday,

Agree, one of the best episodes without watching it twice to see what you’ve missed. Getting to really know some of the characters. Having read all the books sometimes actions didn’t make as much sense as the TV series does because in the book it happened off camera so to speak.

67. Renly's Ghost
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Just started a Clash of Kings. I imagine I will have it read in 6 weeks. My question is, should I wait until season 3 on HBO before I read A Storm of Swords? Game of Thrones was very dead on in the TV series, but it sounds like Season 2 has deviated from the books.

68. Greyjoying
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

vlyman,

“Sansa is hardly worth it.”

Oh, wow. What show are you watching? She is a child, a child that has been both emotionally and physically abused over and over again by the family that killed her father and more or less declared war on her family. She is a child who was all but slapped into a premature GROW UP stage has done her best to survive, and in case it’s not clear, she’s doing a pretty good job at it. In fact, I am pretty sure if any of the other Stark children were in Sansa’s position right now, they would be /dead/.

So, I’m not exactly sure just /how/ she’s not /worth it/. Just because Robb thinks that the girls (and I’m counting Arya because Catelyn and Robb don’t know she’s missing) are not good enough to trade for Jaime, doesn’t mean he’s right. Ned would have traded the girls for Jaime – heck, pretty sure even JON would have traded the girls for Jaime.

69. LordStarkington
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Ghost:
    Just started a Clash of Kings.I imagine I will have it read in 6 weeks. My question is, should I wait until season 3 on HBO before I read A Storm of Swords?Game of Thrones was very dead on in the TV series, but it sounds like Season 2 has deviated from the books.

Storm of Swords is being split between seasons 3 and 4* (assuming we get one, but we should), so if you wait until after it airs on TV you’ll have awhile to wait. Normally I’d recommend a viewer wait, but Storm of Swords is a really amazing read.

70. Darth Valyria
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Ghost,

This is a reply to Renly’s Ghost’s question. I’m spoiler tagging out of respect for those who want no contact from readers in this thread.

In Season 3 the writers will have no choice but to deviate further from the books. I for one love the adaptation. I have enjoyed every episode of both seasons. I find that having read the books allows me to have some insight into backstory, characters, places, etc. that I find enhance my experience. Also, I enjoy seeing how the writers address the challenges of the adaptation. I never expect an adaptation to be a straight, unadulterated retelling of the original. That’s what makes it an adaptation.

On the other side of the spectrum are people who have read the books and get hung up on the changes, sometimes even minor ones; people who can’t seem to enjoy the show on its own terms but instead let the differences soil the who experience. For these people, having a familiarity with the books seems to diminish their enjoyment of the show. It seems that this crowd may have approached the series with an unrealistic expectation of how a book to film adaptation is made.

You probably know which type of person you are, so let that guide you somewhat. All things being equal though, I would say read it. I think ASOS is by far the strongest book in the whole series. Of course if you read it you will be spoiling HUGE plot points not just for season 3 but also for season 4 as well. I hope I’ve been helpful, sorry for posting over here in this thread. I prefer it to be off limits to readers, but that seemed like a question only a reader could offer any insight on.

71. death to lannisters
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Greyjoying: I’m not exactly sure just /how/ she’s not /worth it/.

Greyjoying, what I mean by she’s hardly worth it is that I just didn’t like her much as a character from the very beginning. Just personal taste. She seemed more concerned with her dresses, being a princess, and glory. I just think she acted rather dumb/bratty/silly – didn’t seem that deep as compared to the other Stark children who were dark and aware of dangers from the beginning. Of all the kids, she just didn’t seem much like a Stark – in looks or character.

I do agree with you though that she is being psychologically and otherwise tortured, even worse than the others, and that she is holding up well and smartening up under the pressure. Surprisingly so. However, ALL of these kids got a GROW UP right now slap – especially Arya and Bran, who are having to make their own way in dangerous circumstances at a much younger age with no parents. Add to that that Bran was the victim of a viscious crime. I’d say all of the Stark kids have had it pretty rough. Sansa is just my personal least favorite. You are free to disagree with me.

One thing I do worry about though is that Sansa will turn out just like Cersei. Just like her, forced into a marriage of someone she did not love, forced to endure the horror of power plays and powerlessness, and the feeling forced out of her. She strikes me as someone at the other end of the same cycle of life, and I wonder if that’s what a lot of this show is about. Showing the perspectives of those at different points in the same process. In any case, I hope she’s NEVER like Cersei. That would be heartbreaking. A heartbreaking return on all her heartbreak.

I wonder if the Stark children will ever be able to feel like a family again when they reunite – if they will feel like each others brethren or if it will be a long ago, forgotten time like a dream and with too much having torn them apart to ever truly feel as one again.

72. phoenix
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:29 am | Permalink

vlyman,

Yes but as far as Cat knows, the Lannisters have both daughters

73. phoenix
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Yellow Dog,

I agree, even though I’m only 1/2 way through the first book. I feel like this is my first ever TV show love! I am obsessed with this show… which is why I find myself on a forum talking about it. There’s a first for everything.

74. phoenix
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:50 am | Permalink

death to lannisters,

Interesting insight, maybe that’s what Cersei saw in Sansa. There could be some real feeling on Cersei’s part for Sansa, and likely is, considering Cersei’s treatment of her so far. Yes, she manipulates her ruthlessly for her own ends, but who doesn’t get manipulated by Cersei? Maybe she is showing as much kindness as she is able to for someone who does not fit her requirements of love. Also, for all Cersei’s talk of loving only family, she certainly seems to have gotten tripped up in her lust for power. This is why she did not place the adequate protections against Tyrion’s catspaws, and lost her only daughter (with possibly her son in the next episode).

75. Dan
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Theon Rules!,

I’ll answer that without giving spoilers but I’m going to block it out anyway since this isn’t the best place for book readers to comment.

I wouldn’t say that. I struggle on whether the first or second book is better than the other. They are both phenomenal books. THIS NEXT PART I WRITE IS SLIGHTLY SPOILERISH BUT NOT REALLY AND WON’T GIVE ANY SPECIFICS. SKIP THE REST IF YOU WANT TO AVOID EVEN THAT. Once you see the full second season and especially if you watch it all in a row it will be more gratifying. It’s all been building to these last two episodes.

76. Dan
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

Renly’s Ghost:

Again, I’ll respond without spoilering but block it out anyways,

Nothing of any significance has changed from book 2. The deviations are bigger than in season 1 but nothing to get upset about. You must remember that they are now just adapting the whole story instead of just book by book. They are pulling some stuff forward and pushing some stuff back. It really would be impossible to just go book to book each season. I’d be surprised if the deviations from show to book lessens your enjoyment of the other.

Now whether you should read SoS is a tough question. I personally think SoS is the best book I’ve ever read. I am glad I read it before watching it. I get more suspense and intensity out of reading than I do watching tv. That has always been the case for me. I love the show and think it is one of the best shows to ever air but nothing beats a book for me. If you get more enjoyment from reading then I say, read the book. If you rather get your twist and turns through the tv then wait. It really depends on your personality. I can say that I think the next two seasons are going to have some of the best episodes in tv history.

77. Garris
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Yellow Dog,

78. Garris
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

We Do Not Sow: now, if I can only figure out the three eyed raven and Bran fortune telling dreams.

Here is my un-book-read, completely un-spoiled take on it:

I think the 3-eyed raven means psychic vision (the 3rd eye), which also accounts for seeing through the eyes of his wolf. As for the rest, I won’t just blurt it out for those who don’t want to risk being spoiled by a correct guess but if you want to know more review these clues from the show:

S01E01: Bran has a unique view from the roof allowing him to see the King approaching when no one else knows yet. After the beheading, Ned tells Bran A madman sees what he sees. Jaime asks Bran Are you completely mad?

S01E02: Catelyn makes and hangs some weird kind of dreamcatcher over Bran’s bed. Bran comes out of his coma at the exact moment Ned kills the direwolf.
    S02E05: Rickon sits beside Bran cracking nuts. (Rickon had the same dream of Ned in the crypts). When Bran asks Osha what they say about the raven, she really doesn’t want to tell him.

79. Dangeresque
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

death to lannisters,

Sansa is easy to dislike do to her naive nature. She has got to be one of the more layered characters the show has to offer. I mean here’s a girl who is living in a nightmare. Everything she was raised to know,all the stories she was told by her wet nurse to keep those wonderful dreams flourishing in her mind, have become some kind of twisted anomaly turned on itself.

You have a pretty good grasp on her character from what you wrote there. What I think you’re failing to appreciate about Sansa is she never wanted any of this. You mention Arya and Bran being better adjusted. Arya is living the adventure outside the walls of Winterfell she always dreamed of. Bran loved the evil stories of “winter” and the monsters that lurked in the darkness of every corner.

Cersi at one time DID love Robert. She was shunned by the ghost of another woman and it made her bitter as it would any woman trying to compete with a memory. Her torture of Sansa is far more manipulative and devious than seeing someone at the same life cycle. If Sansa becomes like Cerci..I think it would be more like continuing the abuse cycle than anything else.

80. death to lannisters
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Dangeresque: The Stark children (Theon included) were all taught about honor. What it means to have it, how to respect it, but none of them were ever taught the price of keeping such a virtue. I’d say out of all the Starks, Sansa is the closest thing to actually living the ideal that her parents instilled in them. She out of all of them have paid the highest price in keeping her honor.

I see your wisdom here, but I think they all know the price. While Sansa is paying it in daily portions of psychological torture, Bran and Arya are faced with possible death every day, and while it may be closer to what they imagined for a life, it is not easy. Yes, for Arya it is the adventure she always dreamed of; she wanted to be a great warrior. Still, this is real. She is seeing people slaughtered and butchered around her every day and knows with one misstep she is next, and like Sansa, also witnessed the decapitation of her father. Bran undergoes great cruelty – he was the victim of a viscious crime, can no longer run or climb about on his legs in the adventurous capacity he dreamed, has been overrun by someone he once thought was his brother and now flees for his life, and must witness horrors which do affect him no matter how dark his imagination – like the burning of the farmer’s children in his name. These are major tests of character for all of them. And all of them must do so at a very young age without the guidance of parents.

I wouldn’t say Sansa is the only one learning the price of honor. I do wonder if she’ll be able to keep it though. What happens if she becomes pregnant with Joffrey’s baby? Will she go back to her mother?

81. death to lannisters
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Dangeresque: Sansa is she never wanted any of this

She did want to live in the castle and give birth to little blonde princes and princesses though, even after her father tried to dissuade her. True, she definitely didn’t expect it to be like this.

Do people always get what they want? Sansa walled within the castle and betrothed to the king, Arya having her great and terrible adventure where she lives by her wits and her sword, Bran living in a magical world where he is partly inhabited by otherworldly creatures.

I don’t think it was as any of them imagined it would be.

82. Sergey
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

While Sansa’s fate is so far a tragic one, politically speaking she’s not as much of a bargaining chip as Jaime is. Jaime is the heir to Tywinn Lannister, remember how much Tywinn freaked out when Jaime got captured? The fact that the Lannister heir was a hostage of the Starks really restricted Tywinn’s options. I don’t see why the Lannisters would honor the exchange, they’ll just kill the big warrior woman and then they’ll still have Sansa while now having Jaime back as well. Now only Rob’s actions will be restricted by having a family member imprisoned by his enemy.

83. Nobby
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Wait. So no new episode this Sunday because of Memorial weekend? :(

84. LordStarkington
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

The next episode (Blackwater) is definitely this Sunday. Have no fear!

85. Nobby
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

LordStarkington,

ok thanks. I guess I misunderstood someone’s post.

86. Dangeresque
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Sergey:

Jaime is not the heir to Tywinn. The oath of the Kings guard is a life long oath. That would make Tyrion the heir, unless there is something against dwarves becoming heirs.

87. Yellow Dog
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Garris: Yellow Dog, Yellow Dog I found a fun thing to do when rewatching was looking for subtle clues the writers (or maybe GRRM) drop foreshadowing things. Like offhand remarks about Ned losing his head long before it happened. Or advance indications that Dany was fireproof and Viserys was not. Some may dismiss these kind of things as a stretch but I tend to think nothing is in a show by accident- if something is said or shown it’s for a reason. And I did predict one completely unforeseen death that way.

I love catching those. Not to mention the things better watchers see on first viewing that I miss. I love reading everyone’s reactions because there are always several “I didn’t see THAT! I’ll look for it on second viewing.”

88. derp
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

BornAmidstSalt&Smoke,

I think you’re right about Jon. I have a feeling Qhorin’s going to ask him to do that in order to gain the wildlings’ trust. Seeing Jon “go wild” next season would be an interesting twist with lots of possibilities. I’m curious about those hidden obsidian blades Sam found, they must have some special significance. Questions for the remainder of the season: Will Ghost make an appearance? And will we find out what happened to Benjin?

I was a little frustrated with this episode because I realized before it was halfway through that we weren’t going to see any substantial plot momentum. That said, it really set things up for a big finale these last two episodes. It should be epic.

Tyrion + Varyas + Bronn in the same scene = more, please! Love them. Varyas’ interactions with Littlefinger last season and with Tyrion this season consistently have some of the best dialogue in the show. Their chat overlooking the water (isn’t Dubrovnik beautiful?) was fantastic; I love their verbal chess game. The other standout scene was Theon’s discussion with his sister. It managed to convey a lot without saying too much. Very nicely done.

I wonder what will happen with Arya back on the open road, but I was a little confused. If her immediate motivation to escape was to warn Robb or stop Tywin, how exactly does she plan to outrun Tywin’s horses, who already have a day’s ride on her? And I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Jaqen; he’s just too interesting a character to abandon so soon. I hope, anyway.

The most baffling part of the episode was definitely Cat letting Jamie go. She’s normally the voice of reason, but it’s getting harder and harder to like her when she keeps making stupid decisions like this. I understand that she was worried the men in the camp would kill him and that she’s desperate to get her girls back, but giving up your best bargaining chip, not to mention one of your most dangerous enemies? …Really?! Does she not understand that holding Jamie hostage was the only means of ensuring Sansa’s safety? And does she think Brienne is just going to waltz into King’s Landing, swap him for the girls, and casually walk out without a problem? Give me a break. Obviously, this boneheaded move is going to come back to haunt the Starks, and Robb knows it.

Nitpicking aside, I’m very much looking forward to the battle and the House of the Undying! The series is poised for a big finish just as dramatic as last season’s final two episodes, and I hope they nail it again.

89. Sergey
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Dangeresque: Jaime is not the heir to Tywinn.The oath of the Kings guard is a life long oath. That would make Tyrion the heir, unless there is something against dwarves becoming heirs.

And Jaime is really big on following his oaths right? Tywinn is the real power behind Joffrey’s throne, he would pull Jaime back to his court when he felt his health start to fade. At least that’s the impression I got from Tywinn’s conversation with Jaime last season where he told Jaime that his job as a Kings Guard is not all that useful for the family and Tywinn needed him to man up and grow up “NOW”.

90. death to lannisters
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

what happens if Brienne encounters Stannis outside the gates of King’s Landing? Remember, she has sworn to kill him when she sees him. There is so much room for error on this hostage swap run. So much!

91. The Mourning Star
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Daniel: Why was it a stupid thing? It’s her two little girls after all in the hands of ruthless Lannisters. Most parents would do anything to get their children back. And Sansa’s not worth it? Ehh you do realize she’s her DAUGHTER right?

Remember, girls are less valuable than men…especially the King’s “Uncle/Father”. So…yes, Sansa’s not worth it.

92. Max
    Posted May 24, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Renly’s Ghost,
    (Sorry for posting in here as a book reader).
    Tough question. Wait if you can, but I have to tell you, book three is by far the best book of them all, and well worth reading. Plus getting all the surprise from the book, can be just as fine as getting them from the TV-series. If you chose to read the book first, I bet you will be looking forward to season 3 even more.

93. Gatorfisch
    Posted May 25, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Garris,

Let’s not forget that the Starks are descended from the “first men”…so it makes sense there would be some psychic/shape shifter type thing…dire wolves are from north of the wall, too