HBO releases two new Blackwater promos and fan poster
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Media.

HBO is pulling out all the stops to promote the penultimate episode of season two of Game of Thrones. Last night, they released a new trailer which includes footage of events leading up this Sunday’s episode and then a few glimpses of “Blackwater” itself. They’ve also released a 30 second promo (presumably to air on non-premium channels) plus a new fan poster (aka teaser poster) specifically for this episode. Check out the videos here and the poster after the break.

Of course, these two videos are in addition to the usual episode preview that they release every week.

And here’s the fan poster.

Lastly, this interview at Entertainment Weekly with David Benioff & D.B. Weiss focuses exclusively on the difficulties and experience of filming “Blackwater”. It’s a good read, although it could be considered slightly spoilery.

Winter Is Coming: With all this hype over “Blackwater”, my expectations are rising. The glimpses we’ve seen so far look fantastic. Just hope the whole episode can live up to it.

1. WompWomp
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Are those “fan posters” really fan posters?

2. Lina
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Very cool! Looking forward to next week!

3. Remaal
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Good promos. Much better than the one I saw earlier today at HBO. I hope the episode delivers, this season needs a save.

4. Assunta
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

When Vary’s says “there’ll be no where to hide” the hair on my arms literally stood up on end. That first trailer is . . . words fail me, need something that means more epic than EPIC.

Epicest? Epicerion??

5. Steelyuhas
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

WompWomp:
    Are those “fan posters” really fan posters?

They call them “fan posters” because they don’t distribute/use them as promotional material/advertising, they just release them online for the fans.

6. Remaal
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

In case anyone’s interested, VMAN has a GOT article titled All The King’s Men with very brief interviews, and great pictures of Alfie Allen, Nikolai Coster-Waldau and Eugene Simon (Lancel).

7. From Chaos
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

#Blackwater was trending worldwide on Twitter a few hours ago.

8. Macha
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Assunta:

I know the feeling.

I have faith in Blackwater, especially with Neil Marshall directing it. It was a risky move, though, concentrating so much on one episode alone, all this hype is bound to rise up people’s expectations to an extremely high level so I really hope it was worth it, and that it’ll be one of the show’s finest hours. Because yeah, EPIC doesn’t even begin to describe that first trailer. Those glimpses of Stannis leading the attack are electrifying and – frankly – scare the shit out of me. :)

9. Kalice
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

The first one literally gave me the chills! It makes the waiting so hard.

10. julandro
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Remaal,

Eugene is beautiful. By the way, I am very disappointed I did not see a sex scene with Lena Headey

11. JamesL
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Looks like HBO is really impressed with what they saw for the Blackwater episode since they are doing promotion like this with multiple promos and posters for a single episode. Good news and hopefully these last 2 episodes make up for the past 2 duller episodes. I was really enjoying this season through the first 6 episodes but episodes 7 and 8 were not nearly as good and exciting as they should have been.

12. Kneeling Knight
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Blackwater will probably be my favourite episode of both series’! I’m probably gonna watch it over and over again like I did with Lord of the Rings back when I was a kid.

13. Rukie44
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

14. darquemode
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

It’s nice to see HBO do something extra for what is assumed to be an epic episode!

I have been trying to manage my expectations and downplay my excitement for Blackwater, but these videos make it so hard to not be ridiculously amped!

15. poguemahone
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure why people are complaining about AMWH and TPOW. Yeah, they were set-up, and Qarth is mostly a waste of time as it was in the books, but there were a lot of great character moments and big plot happenings that I thought were captured perfectly on film (Jaime and Brienne, Catelyn and Jamie, Tyrion and Cersei, Dany and Jorah). I preferred AMWH to TPOW, personally, but I think both were solid episodes. I don’t much watch for action, though, so that may be the problem.

And yeah, the fact that Blackwater is being promoted this much tells me the battle is going to look really, really good on screen. I like what I hear about them willing to skimp on the use of VFX. That’s not really what I’m looking for from this show.

16. Rhoswen
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

They sound amazing, but I only get sound – no video :(

17. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

That second promo is awesome. “Rain fire on them”. Tyrion, for the win.

But, you’ve got to figure Varys has the right idea. If Stannis cut off Davos’s fingers for saving his ass, what’s he going to do to Joffrey’s court when he catches them?… BBQ dwarf and eunuch fricassee? Tastes like chicken.

18. Bad Dog
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Oh, and the House of the Undying, too. I’m rather looking forward to that, and to what they make of the visions.

That said… Man, training was crazy tonight, with half of us discussing the upcoming episode. There hardly was any other topic in the changing rooms. Last season it was just 3 of us watching, now it’s 9 already, and Blackwater’s got the lot of them excited (new viewers mostly) – and I ought to add that we don’t even have HBO over here.

19. Mormegil
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Rukie44: I don’t know if it’s been put out there yet, but this article has an extensive interview with D&D about the Blackwater episode.However, a specific portion of the interview caught my attention for another reason:“Peter Brown, our sound designer, is our hero because he finally came up with the ice-cracking chatter we had in our heads when we imagined the White Walkers speaking Skroth.” -?!Looks like we’ll be getting White Walkers & the Battle on the Fist of the First Men by season’s end!

He actually came up with the sound of the WW back in Season 1 Ep 1 first time the actual name of the language has been mentioned AFAIK.

20. Rhoswen
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Rhoswen:
    They sound amazing, but I only get sound – no video :(

The 2 videos are also at http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-blackwater-teaser/ if anyone else is having the same problem I am with playing the ones posted above.

21. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Not to be a wet blanket, but the first promo really looks great and builds excitement & anticipation for next week’s Blackwater.

I just wish the last episode had built some excitement & anticipation for it :(

22. sorcerorvoid
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Assunta,

“Epic Epicness!”

23. caro herrera
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

gods, this was EPIC and grand and nerve-wracking in the good way. tyrion, stannis, cersei, bronn and joff will be great in this episode, but i can’t wait for the best moment of all for me, even if i think that it will probably might end up a little diffrent from the books- can’t wait for SAN/SAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. ace
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Question on the EW interview. They mentioned that most filmed battles are land battles since they are cheaper to do. But, did the interview alluded it will have both naval and land elements to the battle? Seem that is how I read it

25. Turncloak
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

caro herrera:

U will be disappointed. In the books all Sansa does is sing a song for the hound. Everything else is fan fiction

26. LordStarkington
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Not sure where else to put this but looking at your tweets, did Bryan Cogman delete his twitter because he was being harassed by people?

27. Assunta
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

caro herrera,

Now THAT will be Epic Epicness!

(Thanks for linguistic help, >sorcerorvoid<)

28. Darth Valyria
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I will stock up on popcorn now. Not so much for the episode, but to watch the inevitable wailing/teeth gnashing from certain people when things don’t play out exactly as they might have imagined them.

Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

LordStarkington:

Apparently, yes. :(

30. WompWomp
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

That was an unpleasant sidebar update. I wish there was some place to just send our regards to him and the rest of the team. People just have so many bones to pick. I have my share, but I’m loving this season all the same. There’s just been a lot of mudslinging at various decisions lately. :P

EDIT: Holy Shae! The edit button! It has RETURNED!

31. WompWomp
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Darth Valyria,

Better to cut their teeth on some popcorn than the writers. [sigh]

It’s just a testament to the richness of GRRM’s writing and the herculean task of adapting it to fit the most imaginations and even dare to push the envelope at the same time. I’m starting to take solace in the fact more viewers are non-readers to begin with. -_-

Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

WompWomp, you could leave your thoughts here. Bryan keeps pretty close tabs on the discussion here. :)

33. Blackfish
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Fan Boygasm

34. LordStarkington
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

For what it’s worth, I think the show’s been great on its own merits and a great adaptation too. I’ve been a big ASOIAF fan since I was first told about the series…7-8 years ago now…and while some details and changes may irk my inner fanboy, I’ve appreciate the effort you (Bryan) and the others do.

So, cheers to you and boo to whoever was giving you crap on Twitter.

35. Darth Valyria
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

That’s shameful about Cogman’s Twitter. The writers of the show are not here to serve the demands of the Fanatical Change-Nothing Gang. They are talented, hand-working people who we should be thanked for the tremendous job they have done on this series so far. I personally think season 2 has already been stronger than the first. While I can understand people not loving everything, or being disappointed with certain changes, flooding a writers’ Twitter with complaints is just the worst.

Is this how you want GoT fans to appear to those writing the show? Like a bunch of spoiled, petulant children?

36. WompWomp
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

To Bryan Cogman:

I’ll try to keep it brief, but will probably fail in this.

For every vocal naysayer there are thousands more who simply love the work you and the rest of the gang have poured into the show. The numbers may not talk, but they speak volumes all the same. You’ve all brought ASOIAF to untold millions who may never have been introduced to the series otherwise, including the dozen friends I’ve ragged on to tune in who, in turn, were immediately converted to GoT addicts like so many zombies and bronies, including those who previously made a habit of turning their noses up to fantasy offerings. In fact, it was the enthusiasm of my non-reader friends who truly opened my eyes to your achievement and increased my appreciation of your work and that of everyone involved. You guys did it!

Regarding your personal input as a writer (will we never know how much care you put into the rest of the season as story editor?), I recall being more than pleasantly surprised by “What is Dead May Never Die.” I truly believe this season has grown stronger by the episode, with the cinematography and the writing coming into its own. I sensed the writers were more free from the burden of exposition that weighed more heavily on the first season, and while remaining quite faithful to the novels, were also bold enough to make it their own. Your episode actually stuck out to me since Alan Taylor and D&D are the chief household names among the viewership, but even after “The North Remembers” and “The Night Lands,” the season kept surprising me, starting with “What is Dead May Never Die” and its successors. I was beside myself when talking each episode over with my friends: “Shit, this week’s was even better!” I used to be irked by the adaptation aspect, but once I saw what the show meant to people, the fog lifted, the scales fell from my eyes, and I began to recognize what all of you have truly brought to us: an opportunity to fall in love with ASOIAF again.

It was a simple choice to stop setting myself up for the inevitable disappointments (perhaps big, but really, mostly small) that burdening you with realizing the book word for word would bring. And really, you wouldn’t just be pitting against GRRM’s words and yours. You’d be taking on every reader’s wild imagination, trying to produce something that fit the projections of every passionate reader’s mind’s eye. I want more people to shake off that hideous premise regarding your jobs. You’re all damned good at what you do.

I’m sorry for the circumstances leading up to the Twitter shutdown, but I hope you are all the better for it. You and your colleagues already have your hands full with the tall order ahead. While it’s good to have an ear for fans, it’s counterproductive to take in so much input you become personally divided over your own work. I’m sure you all have a thick enough skin, but what goes into your head has a hard time ever getting out. I’ll keep being a fan and ardent apologist to the book-goggled Burned Men (and Women) while you and the rest of the GoT crew do all the heavy lifting. :)

Best,

WompWomp

P.S. Seriously, if it gets to be too much, hire a forum/comment-browsing surrogate. It’d be a shame if you cut yourself off from us. :(

37. Tamarinds
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I can’t understand people being such a**holes re: the writing. If it was easy to fit the book into less than 12 hours, leaving out internal dialogue and relying on visual clues then those idiots who drove Bryan Cogman off Twitter (who take confidence in anonymity) would be doing it. They know nothing.

Bryan – huge fan of the books. When I spot the adaptations I try to figure out why – I can always find the logic. Well done to you and your team, keep it up :)

38. WompWomp
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Tamarinds,

I can comprehend it, having been there in a less aggressive capacity, but I still don’t like it. GRRM had a baby, then we all read it and had mind-babies in our desired likeness of his baby.

Bryan and Co. have set out to rebuild GRRM’s baby. When they showed it to us, some of us got mad because their baby didn’t look like our thousands of pre-wrought babies.

And that’s the birds and the bees of adaptation.

I mean, there are some adaptations out there that I’ve truly railed on, but GoT isn’t worth associating with those. The difference is it’s made with such care. A few hiccups can’t overshadow the overall achievement.

39. Joshua Taylor
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

WompWomp,

Womp-Womp you are just awesome. Absolutely awesome.

And so is this show.

Bring on the Blackwater!

40. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

I still think Twitter should consider adopting some of the following for their promotions:
    - “Giving voice to those who ought to stay silent since 2006!”
    - “Showing the world what a colossal prick you are in 140 characters or less!”
    - “Your one-stop source for the justification of mandatory sterilization.”

In other words, no blame from me for BCogman leaving behind the stinking morass of abusive tweets, but I hope he’s no stranger to these parts as a result of swearing off those who cannot engage in civil discourse.

41. Joshua Taylor
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

I have a name for the most obnoxious sect of Change Nothing Purists who verbally abuse another human being from behind the shield of anonymity: The B.W.M…

The Brotherhood Without Manners.

42. WompWomp
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

That made my mind giggle.

Any integrity GoT has with regard to the source material, which is nothing to sneeze at, is largely creditable to D&D, at least after watching the hour-long interview GRRM did with Authors@Google. At around the 32-minute mark you hear George’s rundown of his HBO contract. He doesn’t have a specially tailored ASOIAF’s-adaptation-is-subject-to-your-ultimate-approval deal going for him. He’s a consultant. Book fidelity is in D&D’s hands, as well as those of their fellow writers including Bryan. It’s their discretion that keeps the show as faithful as they can manage. The most outspoken naysayers seem to remember that to a point that only serves their bellyaching (“It’s YOUR fault it’s not the way it’s supposed to be in my head!”), yet that’s only a sliver of the truth. The writers are also what keep this series so very recognizable.

The interview a bit less than a year old, but here it is for anyone who wants to hear GRRM talk shop and his show contract:

Tune in at the 32:30 mark to roughly zero in on creative control and HBO.

Not to outright demonize anyone with any sort of misgivings about certain changes. I have my own quibbles, but in the end, they’re just that. Quibbles. Hindsight is 20-20, and backseat directing is similarly “enlightened.”

43. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:06 am | Permalink

So does anyone know if the whole episode is just going to take place in KL?

44. Thiago Slash
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Rukie44:

nice!
    and I didn’t know the language of the White Walkes had a name!

45. Eugene Toussaint
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:23 am | Permalink

does anybody know if Tyrion’s chain will be included in the episode?

46. WompWomp
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Thiago Slash,

Whoa, not so fast, Rukie44. He came up with Skroth in general, not just in time for “Blackwater.” It sounds like he conceived the overall engineering of the White Walker language, which we first hear (and hear the most of) in the first episode of the series.

I’d love to see more of them, but I don’t think your takeaway is what the article meant.

47. Thiago Slash
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:30 am | Permalink

WompWomp,

given that the interview was specifically about the Blackwater episode, I’m with Rukki44 on this one haha (a man can hope, right?)

48. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Game Of Thrones on HBO is the best TV series in many a year. All the writers and producers are doing an excellent job, and, though everybody has their own mental interpretation of the books, I don’t think anybody else could have done a better job at bringing this epic novel series to the screen. Your changes make sense, and when the season is finished we all moan and groan till the next season. At the end of the series, we’ll better understand your changes in a “big picture” way. Carry on D&D, GRRM, and Bryan Cogman et al, you are ROCKING our worlds!

49. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    I havea name for the most obnoxious sect of Change Nothing Purists who verbally abuse another human being from behind the shield of anonymity: The B.W.M…

The Brotherhood Without Manners.

It is known.

50. Mimsy
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:37 am | Permalink

The promo’s look amazing and the music is perfection!! I love, love, love the music this year. It’s very dramatic and very fitting.

I am in awe. Tyrion looking out at the soldiers beginning their invasion, the sound of the bells, the distant “booming” … WOW. The calm before the bloody storm. Gorgeous and haunting. The 30 second clip makes me feel desperate for Tyrion and Tommen. (Cersei and Joffrey can go to hell. ha ha!)

This is exactly what I was hoping for with the Blackwater episode. I want to feel the characters emotions and fears, not just see bravado and hacking of legs. This is going to be stunning.

51. Omar Brown
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

We need a nickname for book purists.

Source Nazi’s? Hmmm?

I cannot phantom the challenge of adapting this into a 10 hour Tv show. In my dreams I wish they had 21 episodes per season and the LOTR budget to boot. But alas.

I am happy that “A Storm Of Swords” is being spread over 2 seasons, the dense material can breathe then.

52. WompWomp
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Thiago Slash,

Yeah, I didn’t mean to slap down the possibility. I think they’re just citing that particular contribution the guy made as an example of his work for the show, not the the episode. Hell, I’m hoping for more White Walkers to show up too! It seems likely that we’ll have to wait ’til S3 for the Fist of the First Men (that would even be consistent with the beginning of ASOS if I recall correctly), but this man hopes as well, no matter the likelihood.

Mimsy,

I’ve particularly fawned over Theon’s theme this season. Whether it’s at the Iron Islands or when he’s playing executioner, the music is there to take the scenes to new heights.

53. Andrew
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Really great interview about the challenges of filming the battle. Maybe it’ll give some fans insight into just how difficult making a television programme can be. It was also really nice to hear HBO was asking how the battle would benefit the story, not their profits, when D&D came asking for some extra money.

Super stoked for this episode! Pizza, Targaryen Mugs, and good friends will abound in my basement next sunday night!

54. Matthias Hinkelmann
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:26 am | Permalink

1. Great Interview
    2. On the 3rd page is a 50 sec badass pro-video

–> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYFP6P_n_W8 (50 sec preview)

55. Angel
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Eugene Toussaint:
    does anybody know if Tyrion’s chain will be included in the episode?

It is known

56. Dan
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:50 am | Permalink

Anybody know what they were referring to when they said this in that interview,

For “Blackwater,” he had to orchestrate a major naval battle and a land battle. And he had to come up with something very big and very loud, which would be a spoiler to explain but book readers will understand.

I haven’t read that book in a while and that isn’t ringing a bell with me unless it is the chain.

57. Andrew
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Dan,

I assumed he meant the Wildfire exploding when that giant Swordfish ship crashed into it, or possibly just the wildfire from the catapaults and scorpions on the walls. I’m pretty sure in the books is described as a rather loud event.

Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:15 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

The Brotherhood Without Manners.

It’s already taken! The podcast of ice and fire (known, among other things, for their dirty jokes) occasionally refer to themselves as the Brotherhood Without Manners! :)

59. Dan
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Andrew,

Yeah I think you are right. I just reread Davos’s chapter and it appears the loud sound is Swordfish crashing into that other ship. I would actually be surprised if we get the chain because it hasn’t been talked about and not totally necessary. At least since GRRM is writing the episode the inevitable complaints about it missing will seem extra petty.

60. The_Rabbit01
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

The Brotherhood Without Manners.

Indeed.
    I am really sad this morning by finding out that Bryan left Twitter.
    Sad and angry, really.

While I can understand that some of us do not like the show, that some people want to have an adaptation based on from word to word from the books (which is impossible, IMO), but I can not get the rudness, lack of respect and constant troll-like bitching.

grrrrrrrr…..

61. Weirwood
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:04 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

The Brotherhood Without Manners.

I am sorry to hear about what Bryan was subjected to on Twitter.

And to those who trolled him, I say…… There is no cure for being a cunt.

62. tlsmith63
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Darth Valyria:

It’s like this all over fandom. I’ve seen it happen with other shows–someone stops conversing with fans online because the fans are being jerks. Even I can have problems with certain things about TV shows sometimes, but I would never harass someone about it.

Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Love Cogman. The Cogs. Cogmaester. Hope to see him come back.

Not sure what was said. Whether it was trolls on Twitter (over stuff like Karstark, the Damphair, etc.), or the mixed reaction to this rather controversial episode, but it’s a shame. I guess that’s why very few producers/writers/actors keep such a close relationship with the fanbase.

But Bryan’s “mistakes” in terms of story lore are completely understandable and minor, when you think of the immensity of what his job entails! Can anyone (besides perhaps Elio) say they would be confident taking on the job of story editor for Game of Thrones? I’m sure most of us would make WAY worse mistakes. Also, I hope Bryan remembers this his own episode (#3 this season) was one of the best received. I actually hope Cogman writes more episodes in future seasons (at least 3 per season, instead of the current 1).

I actually think he might be the best writer on the show right now. (Besides GRRM, of course).

64. Weirwood
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Lex:
    Love Cogman. The Cogs. Cogmaester. Hope to see him come back.

65. The_Rabbit01
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Lex,

Agreed. By most of it.
    Except for the fact that job of story editor requires a bit more than simply knowing-all-the-books-and-backstory-by-heart. (Nothing against Elio though, I appriciate his work on the ASOIAF – knowledge).
    For the job, you have to be a well educated in drama/acting ground. What Cogs certainly is.

66. Jordan Healey
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Matthias Hinkelmann,

They take a very defensive stance in that interview. Noticeably so … haha.

67. Jordan Healey
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Lex,

I think he deserves a lot of the criticism he gets, although it’s a bit rude to harass him about it. Very poor manners indeed.

68. Remaal
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Sorry to hear about Cogman leaving twitter. It’s a shame, but I’m sure he was given ample reason. It can’t have been easy for him to deal with a deluge of nitpicks, criticisms and, as is the norm for twitter, outright trollish behaviour week after week. Life is aggravating enough without having agro incessantly thrown at one by anonymous strangers.

I hope, in time, he feels able to come back, and when/if he does, he comes armed with the freedom to make full use of the “block” button on his Twitter, and the “ignore” button in his head. Until then, thanks for making the effort, Cogs. God bless.

69. Critical Geek
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Well, since they went and added all that time for the Rob storyline to make his payoff better, I’d think that the following might also deserve extra time in later seasons:
    Side stories I’d like to see elucidated for season 4+:
    Spoilers (even for readers who aren’t really attentive to details…i.e. if you were shocked that Renly and Loras were a couple…)
    Euron Croweye, the dragon egg, the warlocks, and why he threw them all overboard (payment to the faceless men for the death of Balon? Added Jaqen scene perhaps!)
    Early start to the Son of the Sun’s story, who eventually sets in the east.
    The rise of the sparrows, with more time devoted to the guy who gets the Septon Seat.

70. Macha
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 5:25 am | Permalink

I’m actually curious as to how many viewers really spotted these minor mistakes during their viewing and not after seeing them being mentioned online by somebody else. Meh.

To Mr. Bryan Cogman
    You do a fantastic job. Just because some people are more vocal than others, that doesn’t mean your hard work goes unappreciated.

71. Pepi
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Ilyn Payne in da house! Really like that they brought Kevan and him back to finish the season (too bad, they didn’t do the same of the Great Jon). Minor characters, yes, but they imo add a lot to the continuity. Ow, and needless to say; trailers look awesome as hell. It really shows, that they invested A LOT into the battle.

72. Tomer Segal
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 6:06 am | Permalink

WiC, shouldn’t we do something about it? we can always make a nice gesture for this amazing guy. Ep 3 was the episode that bought me this season.

I mean, we can let those BwM represent us. I honestly think we should take a stand about this.

73. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 6:22 am | Permalink

This isn’t nearly the most petulant/negative fandom I’ve ever been in — try The Office, or any show with a fanbase that’s mostly 14-year-old girls — but it’s edging there, certainly.

What’s good here is that at the very least, the naysayers are but a vocal minority.

As a side note, I still, for the love of the Old Gods And The New™, do NOT understand why the fans who don’t like the show don’t either a) stop watching or b) phrase their concerns politely and logically instead of utilizing enough caps to kill Tupac again.

74. Lyonel the Red
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 6:25 am | Permalink

A little bit off topic, but hey even if it’s not about Blackwater it’s about hopefully the finale, and in worst case early s3. Book 2-3 spoilers ahead.

I found this on twitter a moment ago. http://twitpic.com/9nnwux He will look Badass with a beard! Can’t wait till seeing Arstan

75. Stephen
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Episode 19 preview is awesome. Looks like Ilyn Payne is back. I thought that actor had left like the greatjon. Be cool to see him in combat.
    I wonder if Sir Mandon Moore will show up or will it just be a generic kings guard… or will they skip this all together. Would be easier to skip it as lot of make up work for Dinklage in future.

76. Mean25
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Lex:

77. Moff
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 7:25 am | Permalink

“So we had to perform triage on the battle, determine what we could save and what had to go by the wayside. Quite a bit had to go, including some stuff we absolutely hated to lose. But it was really about keeping the heart of it intact, preserving the core elements that would give the episode the impact we need.”

I belive they mean the chain. I am quite certain right now it will not be in. there would most certainly have been a scene where tyrion orders it from the blacksmith. they say it was “keeping the heart of it impact” and that means nothing else than “chain out – wildfyre in”, because lets be hones, the whole thing will work perfectly well witthout a chain.

78. Darth Valyria
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Stephen:

They can have someone attack and injure Tyrion without cutting his nose off. The nose thing isn’t critical at all. As for who does the deed, my money is split 50/50 on it being either Bronn or Lancel. It will be more meaningful and shocking if it comes from an established character.

79. Ser_G
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 8:08 am | Permalink

A more simplified letter to Bryan Cogman:

You are writing for a series that draws millions of viewers every week. You are being criticized by people who are sitting at home in their underwear, who know fuck-all about the differences between prose and cinema, and who are for the most part functionally illiterate.

Every fanbase has its fair share of idiots for whom the original material fills an emotional void in their life and for whom any change is blasphemy. If they had their way the show would get 200k viewers per episode, would have already been canceled, and most importantly, would suck. They are too stupid to understand this. Their anger is myopic, misdirected, and ignorant. You are doing a fantastic job.

80. HouseLark
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I’m sorry that Bryan Cogman decided to leave Twitter due to a vocal and cowardly minority. I’m sure he could take criticism but whingeing and nastiness is not something that anyone should have to put up with while doing their job. Imagine someone standing over your shoulder all day telling you you’re a dick and your work is garbage…

And now one of the key creative forces in this show is one step further removed from the fans. Excellent stuff.

Maybe we need a version of the Neil Gaiman “George Martin is not your bitch” post for the TV show. Or simply an understanding that the books and TV show are slightly different animals.

Here’s my hint for the show’s writers: satisfy book purists entirely. No, go on, do it. Make the series finale 20 minutes of Sansa recounting what’s on the table at a feast followed by yet another re-telling of the Tysha story.

With that out of the way, I’m looking forward to “Blackwater”, the previews look outstanding.

81. Jaime Lannister
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Darth Valyria,

I’m 90% sure it’ll be Meryn. He’s an expendable Kingsguard member, a dick, Joffrey/Cersei’s cowardly pawn, and has an axe to grind with Tyrion regardless.

Failing that, Mandon Moore was namedropped last episode, so it could still be him.

82. Morgan King
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink

HouseLark,

“20 minutes of Sansa recounting what’s on the table at a feast ”

Ha! Even then, they’d find a way to complain about the size and shape of the Lemon Cakes.

83. john
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

The book purist fanbase of GoT is (almost) worse than that of the old-school BSG fans who refused to acknowledge the merits of the new BSG show. Anyone who spent some time on the scifi.com boards when BSG aired know what I’m talking about…

84. Valyrian
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

To Bryan:

Bryan, these people are immature children who were not educated by their parents and who still think the world revolves around them. They’re not worth of your time. You’re awesome =D

85. WolfDragon
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Morgan King,
    Also Last episode, Cersei ordered “Ser Mandon Moore” to bring Ros in. It will be Ser Mandon Moore that attacks the imp.

I think they need to do something about his nose, in the books he is itching the thing about every 5 minutes or so.

86. serum
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

well said! Bryan Cogman is a fantastic writer and editor, shame on those who would harass or abuse him! Ive read the books and this series has been everything and more, regardless of the changes made. Keep up the amazing work everyone!

87. Darth Valyria
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink

WolfDragon,

It’s a small detail from the book. Come on… this is exactly the problem here.

88. Winterdark
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

I think one of the major changesin ep9 is going to be that Tyrion keeps his nose simply because doing that would mean millions spent on VFX in future seasons erasing half of Dinklage’s nose in every shot he’s in. And that’s a lot shots! Though I do hope they give him a less conspicuous mutilation like Tyrion having an ear cut off which he can hide underneath his hair in future seasons. Simply because I feel it’s important to the way the character develops.

89. WolfDragon
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Darth Valyria,

I think it is important to his development. I’m not too nitpicky about how this season has gone with the exception of the harrenhal story line. I could care less about reeds or qarth, but it seems everytime he itches his nose in the books it is a reminder so to speak of where he came from and what he sacrificed, maybe i should have been more clear in my first post.

90. Weirwood
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Why do so many think there will be no chain? I think it will be introduced at a crucial time when it seems that Stannis and his fleet have taken King’s Landing and then when all looks lost, Tyrion will be shown to have a few more tricks up his sleeve. That will make the battle more exciting for non-readers IMO. And give book readers something more to cheer about.

91. gentle watcher
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

LordStarkington,

yeah…YEAh!

92. Maester Tcost
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

While Tyrion’s nasal injury is of some importance to his character development, it’s not such a big thing that it couldn’t be removed for the sake of the ability of the actor to use his face to emote. More important is that it makes the already-ugly Tyrion (who is much less pretty than Peter Dinklage) become repulsive to a girl for whom a man’s handsomeness is so important.

93. WompWomp
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Maester Tcost,

I think it could be replaced by a hideous scar. Rorge has a nose, after all, and the constant use of prosthetics to simulate Tyrion’s disfigurement would be bothersome on the production side of things. That would be difficult to pull off, even with CG. I think the changes to Shae are already more radical than skipping the de-nosing could ever be.

94. Dan
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Maester Tcost,

He didn’t need any help there. She said he was more grotesque than Sandor at the beginning of book 2.

95. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Darth Valyria,

Idk I’m thinking Ser Meryn will be the one to attack him. The shows clearly established how little he likes Tyrion. (no pun intended)

96. Darth Valyria
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

WolfDragon,

But couldn’t that same sort of character development be accomplished with a big scar, or something else that won’t eat up the makeup budget?

97. Thiago Slash
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

WompWomp,

you did recall correctly (about what in your spoiler tag) ^^ But in the beggining of the book, GRRM states that ASoS opens with events that were occurring at the same time the Battle of the Blackwater Bay was being fought. That’s why I’m hoping to see the Fist this season!
    fingers crossed haha

98. Sword-O-Da-Mornin'
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

could anyone catch what varys said in the first video near the end?

99. Dennis
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Sword-O-Da-Mornin’:
    could anyone catch what varys said in the first video near the end?

First he said something to the effect of “There’s a man in service of such power to sit on the iron throne, I can’t think of nothing worse, you are the only man who can stop him” and then the last part is of course “There will be nowhere to hide”.

That first line was a bit hard to comprehend..need to brush up on understanding that UK dialect/accent. Feel free to correct me you crazy lurking Brits.

100. Dan
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Sword-O-Da-Mornin’,

He said, “For a man in service to such powers to sit on the Iron Throne, I can think of nothing worse. You are the only man who can stop him.”

1. [...] Hier noch ein “Fan” Poster, daß eigentlich keines ist, aber von HBO als solches tituliert wird: “Nowhere to hide” [via Winter is Coming] [...]

2. [...] HBO fan poster via.  Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Tagged blackwater, data collection, game of thrones, grady college, network analysis, television [...]