Casting Season Three: Edmure Tully
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.

Art by Amok / © Fantasy Flight Games

So we now have a wonderful list of confirmed characters to work from while doing our casting speculation posts. Edmure Tully is one of those characters. In fact, auditions for the role are going on right now. I’m sure the producers have sorted through tons of videos and may have even narrowed it down to a select few. But what select few have the fans narrowed it down to?

Edmure Tully is the younger brother of Catelyn Stark and heir to Riverrun. As uncle to King Robb Stark, he plays a pretty important part in the war. His introduction in the book series happens all the way back in the first novel, but his introduction for the TV series has been delayed until now. He is described as “stocky with shaggy auburn hair and beard and blue eyes” (Tower of the Hand). Let’s take a look at some of the top fan choices for the role and the chances of each to be cast.

Before we begin, let’s get the pie-in-the-sky choices out of the way. There has been a decent amount of fan support for Kevin McKidd, Damian Lewis and Ewan McGregor(!) for the role of Edmure Tully. None of these are even remotely possible (the first two due to them currently appearing in other successful TV shows and the third one being a huge Hollywood actor), so I’m not listing them here. Now let’s get to the other, slightly more viable choices.

David Wenham – This Australian actor is best-known for his role as Faramir (aka Sean Bean’s brother) in Lord of the Rings. He also appeared alongside Lena Headey in 300. He is roughly the right age and looks close enough to the description in the books. Despite his run of film success in the early 2000s, it seems the film roles for Wenham have dried up and he has recently been doing more TV work, so he may be up for a role in Thrones. Though not being based in the UK may lessen his chances.
David Wilmot – Irish actor David Wilmot made his bones on stage but has transitioned to the screen. His film credits include roles in King Arthur and The Guard. His TV work include appearances on The Tudors and The Clinic, the latter of which garnered him an IFTA nomination. Again, his age and appearance is close to the book description of Edmure. I think he would welcome the chance to be in the show (in fact, he’s already auditioned before) and HBO does love them some stage actors.
Peter O’Meara – Another Irish actor, O’Meara has been a popular choice for Edmure since way back in the pilot one days. He expressed a desire to be on the show, way back then. He has a connection to HBO, having appeared in Band of Brothers. More recent credits of his include roles in the films Leap Year and He’s Just Not That Into You. With his stocky build, blue eyes and auburn hair , he most closely matches the Edmure in my head. And it sounds like he would love to join the cast.
Tony Curran – This Scottish actor first came to the attention of Thrones fans, when he revealed that he was in talks to appear in season two (possibly as Davos?). Obviously, that did not come to fruition. But this show loves to bring back actors they saw for previous roles, and bringing back Curran as Edmure seems to make sense. He’s got the blue eyes and auburn hair. And he keeps trying to make it onto HBO shows, having appeared in Luck and Boardwalk Empire, but only for one episode each. Perhaps this is his chance to finally land a lasting role on an HBO series.

There is a good chance that the role of Edmure may go to someone none of us have heard of. But it is still fun to speculate. Leave your thoughts on these four in the comments or suggest someone else for the role!

1. Thiago Waldhelm
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

David Wenham, please!

(first? /o/)

2. Bobby Big Wheel
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

The best indicator of an actor appearing on Game of Thrones? Having appeared in “Into the Storm” a made-for-TV Churchill movie that had roles for the actors who play Jorah, Luwin, Renly, Greatjon, Balon Greyjoy and Craster. Accordingly, I predict that James D’Arcy will play Edmure Tully.

3. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Of those I like David Wenham

4. Thiago Waldhelm
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Bobby Big Wheel,

except that James D’Arcy don’t “resemble” Edmure, imo.
    but well, TV Jorah is way different than book Jorah, so anything is possible, I guess

5. lukahnli
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

One possible choice that may have been overlooked. A bit more obscure but works with Nina Gold alot and fits the description somewhat.

Shaun Dooley

I remembered him from an episode of Foyle’s war.

6. ThePinkDragon
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I like Wenham and Curran, if only because they look like they could be related to dear old Michelle — especially in the face (hair can be changed). When it comes to appearances I think that should be one of the main focuses. I love how all the Stark kids look related to each other, or their parents — especially how Robb and Jon look almost, but not quite, like the half-brothers they’re supposed to be.

7. James
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t there an video that leaked of David Wilmot auditioning for Davos last year? Or was that someone else?

8. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran! Been hoping he’d get a role in the show for a long time.

Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

James:
    Wasn’t there an video that leaked of David Wilmot auditioning for Davos last year?Or was that someone else?

Right you are! I had completely forgotten about that one. Added a link to our post on it. At this point, I think it is safe to assume that just about any Irish, Scottish, or British character actor has auditioned for this show.

10. ace
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
  11. Harry The Heir
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I personally see him as David Wenham, he is an amazing actor for this kind of role. Arise David and Dan! Spears shall be Shaken, Reviewers shall be broken! Cast for Ruin and for the worlds Ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!!!!!

12. Cat of the Cabals
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I missed those casting threads a real lot, just realized:)

13. kris
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

The first guy looks too much like Jaime!

14. Johan Sporre
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

David Wilmot has got a boyish charm that I think fits Edmure.

Edit: And I knew I recognized him from somewhere other than the movies listed on IMDb. I guess it was the auditions that did it :)

15. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Wenham & O’Meara have the rakish looks of confirmed bachelors IMO, that would work for Edmure Tully. You look at them and think, “Oh, he’s a player,” being forced into marriage for family’s sake. Hair can always be dyed, look at Joffrey & Sansa, neither wearing their natural colors, and Dany & Cersei (wigged brunettes), among others. Any of those mentioned above would probably do, depending on what Nina is looking for today.

16. The Lightning Lord
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Thiago Waldhelm,

I think he’s rather similar, IMO. Same hairy physique, gruff voice, etc. But of course lain Glen has to be given credit for that, top actor he is.

17. Darren Mason
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Going purely on looks I’d say David Wilmot looks the most like how I pictured Edmure. David Wenham is close but he looks too confident and good looking to be Edmure, in my mind.

18. Petter K. Vikestad
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Lol. Peter O’Meara’s role in Band of Brothers was Edmure in so many ways. Of the four listed, I think he can play the blundering fool the best. Still, I would prefer Tony Curran. Love his acting.

19. Ed
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

David Wenham would be great.

20. NOC
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Kevin McKidd maybe? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571727/ he’d kill it

21. GrzebykK
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Since I haven’t had any specific visions of Edmure in the books, I’d base on physical resemblance to Catelyn. And however I appreciate Tony Curran, I’d give some other part and cast David Wilmot as Edmure.

22. Steven Swanson
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if you can pin it all on the actor but I thought Wenham was terrible as Faramir, totally vanilla portrayal of one of the greatest characters in the series. But what was missing was any sense of his gravitas and wisdom, neither of which Edmure has, so maybe it would work, haven’t seen the actor in anything else.

23. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Wenham has the perfect look for Edmure, IMO, but I imagine they’ll cast a local UK actor for the role. Because, let’s face it, they have no shortage of talent over there, and Edmure is a fairly small role. Even the main characters on this show have a limited number of scenes per episode, so it would seem rather inconvenient to have to fly someone all the way out from Australia just to film a couple of scenes

(FYI: flight time from Sydney to Belfast: 19 hrs, 10 min).

24. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

NOC:
    Kevin McKidd maybe? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571727/ he’d kill it

Please re-read WIC’s paragraph about pie-in-the-sky choices at the top of this page. Before you throw a name out there, please check with e.g. IMDB if that person is already booked solid or probably out of GoT’s price range based on the importance of the character you’d like to see him portray. It also helps to check his date of birth and nationality.

25. Chris Beasley
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I really like David Wenham for something, if not Edmure, Beric, if not Beric, Arys Oakheart, if not Oakheart, Griff.

26. spacechampion
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Given that some of these choices were up for a role in season 2, isn’t it possible they were up for Edmure, but the production decided later to rewrite Edmure out of the season? That makes more sense than being up for Davos.

Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

spacechampion:
    Given that some of these choices were up for a role in season 2, isn’t it possible they were up for Edmure, but the production decided later to rewrite Edmure out of the season?That makes more sense than being up for Davos.

Very possible. Good thought.

ETA: Although we know that Wilmot, at least, auditioned for Davos and Jaqen. I don’t think he auditioned for Edmure, although I guess it is possible that he did and we just didn’t see the video.

28. Nagga's Kin
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins:

(FYI: flight time from Sydney to Belfast: 19 hrs, 10 min).

No, the gating items are UK work permits and especially, the UK actors’ union (does not apply to characters whose likes will all be shot in Croatia). Actors from other EU countries face much lower hurdles than those from outside the EU.

29. Pepi
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran has that “up to no good” look to him, so I think, he’d make a good Crow’s Eys (in later seasons). As for Edmure … I think Tom Sullivan did a decent job with his audition. Not the best, but decent. So with some instructions on what Edmure’s about (and some hair dye), I think he could pull it off.

30. Jenny
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

If anybody says Kevin McKidd one more time I’m going to scream.

*Sorry newbies, don’t take this seriously*

31. nightwolf
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Definitely David Wenham, with the right hair he could probably look related to Michelle Fairley.

32. John W
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Both Wenham and Curran would make excellent choices. I’m not too familiar with the other fellows.

Nina Gold hasn’t made a mistake yet when it comes to casting so I’m sure she’ll pick the best actor suitable for the part.

33. Domenico Barbato
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I LOVED Tony Curran in Doctor Who – his portrayal of Van Gogh was the best thing in one of the best episodes, incredibly moving. I’d love to see him in GoT – but I’d rather see him as Beric. I can already see him asking Thoros “How many times?” in a hauntingly sad way.

34. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I like Tony Curran.

Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Domenico Barbato:

It’s funny, but I could probably go with these exact same four actors for the role of Beric Dondarrion. Also, it occurs to me that Tony Curran looks an awful lot like the previous Beric. Hmm….

36. RadMinerva
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran is great, if he could be any character on the show that’s in more than one episode it would be amazing and such a benefit to the show, in my humble opinion that is.

37. Hi-Fi
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Of those, my votes would go to David Wilmot and Tony Curran.

38. Fire And Blood
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran as Beric, I agree.

39. James
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I have to say, having David Wenham on GOT would be so great. But, for me, Edmure can be played by only one man – Max Brown. He was great in Tudors, his Edward Seymour was perfect, and I always imagined Edmure as nearly as arogant and selfabsorbed as Seymour, or Max`s interpretation of same.

40. NickS
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Perhaps this is his chance to finally land a lasting role on an HBO series.

good one

41. Ser Lemon Cake
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Re Wenham and work permits, lots of Aussies have UK parents/grandparents which makes it possible to get work there, hence the lots of Aussie actors who do.

42. Joshua Taylor
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

No Stephen Waddington? Come on Wicnet!

I just watched my blu-ray of Last of the Mohicans. He’s so perfect for the role!

43. evilclosetmonkey
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Love me some Tony Curran. Beric, Edmure, whatever. Just get him in the show!

44. Jeda
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Whenham as Edmure, and Curran as Beric. As it’s already been said, he also has the advantage of looking like the previous Beric. It might not be relevant for the audition, but more immersive for viewers.

45. Hexonx
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

O’Meara got me thinking of Jason O’Mara. He is Irish and Terra Nova wasn’t renewed, any possibility we see him show up at some point?

46. Paulternate
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Conan O’Brien for Edmure!

47. Igor Veloso
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

For some reason when I look at Tony Curran I see a bit of Beric Dondarrion. I liked his role in Underworld: Evolution as a Hybrid. Would be good to see him again die more than once haha

For some reason I loved the Gondor family lol Boromir and Faramir. Whenham would be a good adition, for both acting and we can also say another lotr “veteran” came to GOT. hehe

48. Ella
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I vote for David Wenham. Just because I’d like to see more LOTR alumni in the cast list, and after getting Boromir, well, why not go for Faramir? Also, I think he could bring an interesting portrayal to the role, in addition to being physically similar to Michelle Fairley (nothing the make-up and hair departments couldn’t deal with, at least).

And for those wondering about work permits, it is my understanding that Australia, being a Commonwealth State, has an accord with the UK to facilitate workers’ mobility. So it’s not unreasonable to think that David Wenham, a star in his own right, would have a smooth path laid before him were he to want to work in the EU.

49. Yonafunu
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I’d say David Wilmot. He looks very much like Edmure, imo.

50. Winterdark
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran! Absolutely. He’d be perfect for Edmure! I must congratulate WiC for finding the most appropriate cadidates I never would’ve thought of myself.

BTW: Also have to say: David Wenham’s also a really good pick. but as Winter allready pointed out his chances lessen because of him bein Australian. Still it’d be great to have him on.

51. Ash
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

To bad there isn’t a Hollywood actor who says ‘I read books n love them, I’d want to
    Appear in show n do it for budget’ there are actors who do it as they love story’s. Someone give Ewan a copy of series!

52. Lyn Corbray
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Hexonx,

hmmm he could make a nice Jon Connington maybe, although he might be a bit young. I don’t really know where else he could fit

53. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I’m torn, because I really see Tony Curran as Beric, but I also see Sean Harris in that role :/

54. theamberkey
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran was amazing in Doctor Who, and what I saw of Pillars of the Earth. He’d be a good choice for most roles.

55. Queensmoot
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

OT – but have you guys seen Maisie’s cinnamon challenge yet? So adorable.

On topic, Tony Curran would be great and definitely looks like he could be Cat’s little brother.

56. Jonjonowijonem
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Does anybody know what about recast the Mountain? Will Conan Stevens back in S3?

57. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Jonjonowijonem,

He said he’d like to come back, but I don’t think they’re going to switch actors again.

58. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Already has a full time gig.

NOC:
    Kevin McKidd maybe? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571727/ he’d kill it

59. Zack
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

The one I’m really familiar with is Curran. He killed it on Doctor Who. I’d have to say he would be a fantastic Beric. Hell, or Edmure. But probably just a bit more suited to Beric. Getting him on the show in any capacity would be pretty cool.

From what little I’ve seen of Wenham he would work for Edmure, but the common refrain here is his Australian citizenship.

60. paylor
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Domenico Barbato,

Same with me. Tony Curran’s performance as Vincent Van Gough was heartbreaking and it makes me tear up just thinking about it.

61. robb17
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

cast David Wenham as Beric Dondarion
    Tony Curran as Edmure Tully. he could pass as cat’s brother

62. ANiceChianti
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Is it wrong of me to think that they shouldn’t waste any money trying to get a big(ish) name for Edmure?

I mean, is it just me, or does this man have the personality of spackle?

63. Don
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Steven Waddington for the win!!! He was born to play this role…

64. Hassan Madkour
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

did anyone suggest Ewan McGreggor? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000191/ yes he is currently booked, but they may be able to work it out.

65. Hassan Madkour
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

i think his role as Obi-Wan looks quite like the artwork above

66. Macha
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

David Wilmot is definitely the one who resembles the image I’ve had of Edmure while reading the books. I also liked his auditions.
    On the other hand, I’d LOVE for either (better yet, both!) Tony Curran or Shaun Dooley to land roles in GOT, because fantastic doesn’t even begin to describe them.

On the subject of LoTR alumni, meh, I say pass. Although I loved David Wenham’s performance, IMHO the less these two fandoms interfere with each other, the better.

67. Dreamlife
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I have always thought David Wenham would make a perfect Edmure. If not him, then perhaps an unknown actor. I trust in Nina Gold.

68. darquemode
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran has been my favorite for years now, David Wenham a close second…. and I will toss in an actor that’s worked with Nina Gold in the past, Tom Goodman-Hill.

69. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

He has the Edmure look :)

70. Mean25
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Paulternate:
    Conan O’Brien for Edmure!

hehe

David Wenham – Faramir, oh please please HBO, but probaly is not going to happen
    David Wilmot – In Tudors he looked a bit old, probaly just the make up, I’m okey with him
    Peter O’Meara – meh, I don’t see him as Edmure, not auburn enough
    Tony Curran – Yes, has the looks, he would be great as Beric, just put him in the show

71. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran has to be Beric. I’d prefer they cast a more unknown actor as Edmure.

72. darquemode
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Didn’t Kristofer Hivju audition for Season 3?

He has the red hair for either Edmure or Beric….

73. Pau Soriano
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Paul Bettany

74. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Depends on whether or not they want to keep his beard :P

75. João Amaral
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Tony Curran Tony Curran Tony Curran Tony Curran Tony Curran Tony Curran!!!!!

Perfect Doctor Who actors are perfect!!

76. darquemode
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Most of it, as well as his hair is gone! XD
    Pic of him filming After Earth with Will Smith.

Which reminds me that is still filming so he may be unavailable depending on how far along production is….

77. Omar Brown
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I barely remember him from the books, never found he did anything interesting. IMHO
    But a good actor might bring him forward a lot better.

78. denise:)
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Everyone wants Maggie Smith for Olenna – but she’s “big time”. I think Fionnula Flanagan is a better fit…

she’s Irish and adorable…

79. Omar Brown
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Jonjonowijonem,

This! His mountain was exactly like I remember from the books. The new guy, meh, too skinny.

80. Omar Brown
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

denise:),

Oh yeah! I remember her from “Lost”, great choice!

81. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Are you Norwegian by any chance?

He grew his beard and hair back, though, so I think he’s done with After Earth! This a picture from the 18th of May: http://i.imgur.com/rnSrT.png

82. andrea
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

darquemode: Tom Goodman-Hill.

I saw him in a BB miniseries playing dumb (sort of). He was good.

83. Peppe
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

I like David Wenham!

84. darquemode
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Damn that man must be half Chia Pet!!

I am not, but a commenter on a different site is and he shared that pic when we were discussing casting. I live in Minnesota…

85. Joshua Taylor
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
  86. Victarion's Codpiece
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

I think Dave Wenham’s too good for such a relatively small role, would rather see him play a meatier role.
    Wilmot or O’Meara would be good, Tony Curran should indeed be Beric Dondarrion, don’t think the guy they got for his quick appearance in season one looked right at all. Re-cast!

87. spacechampion
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Hassan Madkour:

That’s probably as likely as getting Sir Alec Guinness to play Drogo.

88. Paco
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

wow, David Wilmot looks almost exactly how I pictured Edmure. My votes for him! :D

89. Andrew
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

I’d really enjoy seeing David Wenham in the role. I think he can pull off Edmure’s more serious scenes really well, but he also has a great comedic side that can round out the character well. The others i’m afraid I don’t know that well.

90. Langkard
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

denise:):
    Everyone wantsMaggie Smith for Olenna – but she’s “big time”.I think Fionnula Flanagan is a better fit…

she’s Irish and adorable…

I agree 100%! I sent an email to Flanagan’s agent, in case they were unaware of the part being cast.

91. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Carne:
    darquemode,

Are you Norwegian by any chance?

Hivju resembles the first Beric there, he’d be awesome for that since he HAS TO BE a warrior type, not playboy like Edmure.

92. Carne
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

Good! I’ve sent e-mails to agents regarding other roles, and you never know what might happen!

93. Hassan Madkour
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: That’s probably as likely as getting Sir Alec Guinness to play Drogo.

I don’t recall saying its likely, I just think he has the perfect looksand acting skills. He’s the ” dream cast” for Edmure

94. ANiceChianti
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Here’s the sad thing. Until I read all the virtual eye-rolls on this thread, I had no idea that Kevin McKidd was on Grey’s Anatomy. Good for him! I’ve thought he was great, and tremendously underrated, for 16 years now.

I agree that Tony Curran seems like he would be a terrific Beric. Everyone says they can’t wait to see The Red Viper vs. The Mountain, but to me, the single scene I’ve been waiting to see on-screen the most is The Hound vs. The Lightning Lord. I really hope they nail it.

As for Edmure… again, I don’t see how he’d be worth much of a monetary investment. But hey, with two books left, he could change my mind. Wyman Manderly did.

95. Phil
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

David Oakes as Edmure? I know he’s a bit younger than all the other suggestions… but he’s been superb in the Borgias and Pillars of the Earth.

96. Lady Luna
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

David Wenham, it is known.

97. Langkard
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Carne,

And she certainly won’t be one of those actors who turn their noses up at fantasy and sci-fi roles. Fionnula Flanagan has had guest parts in 3 different Star Trek series (TNG, Ds9 and Enterprise).

98. OldGran
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

I like Peter O’Meara, he looks like he could be related to Robb. And they could auburn him up some. and he’s cute.

99. Danielle
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Like Tony Curran or Paul Bettany for the part LOVE Alan Tudyk!

100. Langkard
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Danielle:
    Like Tony Curran or Paul Bettany for the part LOVE Alan Tudyk!

I really wanted Paul Bettany for the part of Roose Bolton. Bettany just does pale and creepy so well.

101. Sundancerlasvegas
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Judi Dench for the Queen of Thorns!

denise:),

102. Prince of Winterfell
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Make sure u r very specific whenever u talk to Edmure

103. Valyrian
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

I’d prefer Tony Curran for Beric. Simon Woods (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1373034/) has always been my mental image of Edmure, even though he might be too young and looks nothing like the description from the book, except for the hair. But I think he has Edmure’s foolishly harmless demeanor lol

OT – I just don’t get Maggie Smith for Olenna. She’s tall and imposing and has that huge aura of authority, whereas the QOT is small like a CHILD. I say Helen Mirren, with a cane and make up to make her face more wrinkle-y =D

104. Valyrian
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Langkard: I really wanted Paul Bettany for the part of Roose Bolton.Bettany just does pale and creepy so well.

of death, so I opened the bodies of the living”, with that sly look on his face!
    *.*

105. Teresa Wright
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

What about Matt Smith from “Dr. Who”? He recently starred in “Womb” with Natalia Tena (“Osha” in GoT) and Hannah Murray (“Gilly” in GoT). Great actor and has Catelyn’s eyes and cheekbones.

106. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I like David Wenham and David Wilmot best out of the four choices, although I’m surprised to see that Waddington wasn’t on the list, as he’d been bandied about a bit by people.

For some reason I look at Peter O’Meara and think he might be good at someone really creepy (possibly because he looks so innocuous!).

Tony Curran looks good for either Edmure or Beric.

107. Langkard
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Valyrian: He’d be a perfect Roose, but not all is lost, he’d still make a super creepy Qyburn, I can just hear him saying “I wished to understand the nature
    ofdeath, so I opened the bodies of the living”, with that sly look on his face!
    *.*

Oh! Wonderful idea. I’m on board for Bettany as Qyburn!

108. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Also: ALAN TUDYK!

109. Superdeluxe
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I’ve done the same :)

Carne,

110. Turncloak
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

David Wenham would make a great Beric

111. darquemode
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

I had not thought of Paul Bettany or Simon Woods as Qyburn, but I like those ideas quite a bit! I could see Woods as Beric too fairly easily…

I pictured Qyburn a bit older (although Bettany could be aged with make up of course), someone like Peter Mullen (Tyranosaur, The Fixer).

112. Langkard
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

It was Valyrian who suggested him for Qyburn. An excellent idea.

I’m a huge fan of Peter Mullan. I think he’d make a great Blackfish, too. Or a Jon Connington.

113. andrea
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Wenham as Beric, yes.

114. Valyrian
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    Langkard,

I’ve always had Bettany in my head as a body double for any random Targaryen, though I think he’s settling for Bloodraven now :)
    Had never thought of him for anyone else until you mentioned him for Roose.
    And Woods would indeed be a great Beric!

115. andrea
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Steve Hugh Westenra,

he´s so funny. He would have been a terrific Dolorous Edd

116. Jordan Healey
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I’d prefer Tony Curran for Beric Dondarrion, as he has that fighting experience needed for Sandor vs Beric.

117. Amarien
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Rupert Young would be my choice as Edmure Tully as he could fit nicely as Cat’s little brother.

118. darquemode
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

I had not considered fighting experience when pondering who could play Beric…. Hmm, I guess that is one of his best scenes and experience or at least some athleticism is important!

I had been thinking of Jason Flemyng or Kristofer Hivju. I wonder if they have experience…..
    I know Flemyng was in Clash of the Titans and played Azazel in X-Men First Class, but did he do any of his own stunts?

In make up as Azazel I totally see Flemyng as Vargo Hoat! http://xmenfilms.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/azazel-bldes.jpg?w=917

Without make-up I see him as Beric.

119. Josh Parker
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

It seems like these lists are always populated by three big names and one not-so-big name that might conceivably get it. Out of this list I pick Peter O’Meara but I still like Dean Lennox Kelly.

As for Beric, only one guy for him. Julian Rhind-Tutt. Like a boss.

Posted May 31, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:

As for Beric, only one guy for him. Julian Rhind-Tutt. Like a boss.

I don’t think any of these guys are big names. Maybe you could consider Wenham big, since he’s been in some prominent film roles. Although as I stated, his career hasn’t really taken off since. The other three guys are right in GoT’s wheelhouse. Hell, we know Wilmot has already auditioned for the show and it seems likely Curran and O’Meara have as well.

Now Ewan McGregor, on the other hand, that is a big name.

121. Josh Parker
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Okay, big name was probably the wrong term. I’m just thinking about how for this past season we all wanted these big names, like Mark Strong as Stannis, etc., and what we ended up with were people most of us had never heard of. That’s why I low-balled Edmure.

I gotta wonder, am I the only one who thinks Tony Curran looks a few years older than Michelle Fairley? Maybe it won’t matter and they’ll change him to be her older brother. I dunno.

122. WildSeed
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

These are all accomplished actors and any would challenge themselves to the role of
    Edmure Tully . Aside from physical attributes such as red hair and blue eyes Cate’s
    younger brother was often brash and indignant if respect was not automatically
    given. I know these qualities could be played out on stage but not everyone is so
    believable. I adore David Wenham but I don’t see him as Edmure, more a Ned the
    hero type. Curran has the swagger and tenacity to make this role believable so
    long as the script isn’t poor. I keep remembering Curran from those Vampire-
    Werewolf movies with Kate Beckinsale. I think he would have outdone the current
    actor portraying Roose Bolton. or Theon’s nuncle Euron ( with dyed locks or wig ).

123. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin: Flight time is not really the issue, it’s not like an Australian actor would be commuting on a weekly basis!

Yeah, I understand it’s not a matter of commuting (I only included flight time to demonstrate how out of the way Ireland is from Australia). The larger point I was trying to get at was, we’re talking about a character that will maybe only have a handful of scenes to film in a country that’s already brimming with redheaded actors. So, to me, it seems exceedingly unlikely that they’d ask someone to come all the way from Australia, which would entail all kinds of bureaucratic hurdles, as you mentioned (although, I do wonder if Commonwealth countries have some kind of work arrangement with the UK? Seems likely, but I don’t know), when they could just get a local from their own backyard.

It makes sense to search far and wide for the perfect Tyrion (who, as far as I know, is the only American actor in the series), but Edmure? Not so much.

And really (this isn’t directed at Nagga anymore, but to everyone in general), so much of what we see as fans (myself included) is reputation. I see LOTR and instantly think, “he’d be perfect”, because I don’t really know anyone else, and certainly not the long list of character actors Nina Gold must know (that’s not to say all fans are as clueless as I am, so don’t take it the wrong way if you do have a knack for this sort of thing).

But, there’s one of two reasons why Wenham hasn’t gotten many roles since LOTR; either, he hasn’t tried out for them, or other actors have been better. That’s it. Unless you’ve really established yourself as an A-lister in Hollywood, it’s a “what have you done for me lately” kind of game (as is most everything in life). Character actors don’t have the luxury of resting their hat on past success. They don’t sell tickets like the A-listers do. So, they have to prove it day in and day out. And, there are so many character actors out there (many of which are actually better than the A-listers), chances are there are hundreds, if not thousands of actors who would be just as good as Wenham (and cheaper, and more conveniently located, etc..).

124. Thiago Waldhelm
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink

a littel bit off topic, but @WiCNet retweeted this: http://screenrant.com/charlize-theron-game-thrones-interview-rothc-175696/

and now I’m trying to imagine a role that she would fit in /o/

125. Adam Austin
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:11 am | Permalink

I personally don’t care who they cast for Edmure, he’s one of my less interesting characters in the series.
    But that Tony Curran guy… now there’s a interesting face to play Beric Dondarrion!!! I really hopoe he gets that role. (used to see Kevin Mckidd but Tony has just stole it)

126. Galen Firestone
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink

@Varamyr,

Peter Dinklage was one of two Americans, Jason Momoa (Drogo) is Hawaiian, though he’s obviously not on the show any longer. Also Katherine McKee (Doreah) is Canadian, so there’s that.

Personally speaking, I think I’d like to see Tony Curran get the role. To me, he has the right look, and I’ve seen him in other things, he could carry the role well.

127. Alex of Bergen
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Hey everyone, my first post on this most excellent site. Absolutely great how people discuss our fav show here.
    Maybe a bit OT, but I just read this article http://collider.com/charlize-theron-prometheus-mad-max-interview/170219/ on Collider. About 3/4 into the interview she expresses her love for GoT and would absolutely like a role in the show.
    Whether this would happen or not in the future I don’t know, but it does tell me that perhaps some of the big names in Hollywood are getting interested in this show and willing to say this out loud.
    GoT is being taken more and more seriously which can only mean good news.
    Anyway that’s my humble opinion and now to reading all the great suggestions everyone’s been making :)
    Edit: just saw someone read that article to. Sorry for the doublepost

128. Paola
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Yes David Wenham.

129. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Thiago Waldhelm,

She would have been a perfect Cersei. In fact, I believe she was the ‘dream’ choice that everyone thought was unattainable. I really can’t think of any other worthy roles for her in future seasons.

130. Lina
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:40 am | Permalink

I’d prefer Tony Curran as Beric Dondarrion over Edmure. I think his intensity is much more suited to that role.

In my mind, Damian Lewis is the perfect Edmure. But since he’s on Homeland, I won’t say anything more. Out of the actors listed above, I’m not sure who would be best. It’s hard for me to pin down an Edmure I really like, especially because I don’t think it’s necessary to limit it to red-headed actors.

131. Dogmayor
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Val is a possibility.

132. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Dogmayor:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

Val is a possibility.

That is a small role. The only role big enough that could have suited her was Cersei. Charlize is a much bigger star than Sean Bean or Peter Dinklage. Anything other than a starring role is beneath her.

133. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Dogmayor:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

Val is a possibility.

Oooh yeah! Charlize Theron for Val the wildling princess! Big stars have been known to do cameo roles in tv series’ that they like, and this would be along those lines. Not that many other major female characters of note that would suit her after this point, but Val’s supposed to be a beauty and maybe Theron could squeeze it in between other projects. Unless there’s something not written yet. Maybe Arianne Martell?

134. darrylzero
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

Co-sign. Seriously, that is *exactly* what I was thinking. God I hated him as Faramir, almost ruined every scene he was in, but for Edmure…

Still I’d prefer Wilmot or O’Meara (or any number of other people). Not Curran, though, think he’d be better for Beric. Too much dark charisma/intensity for Edmure (though I only know him from Red Road.

135. ThePinkDragon
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:43 am | Permalink

They can uglify Charlize Theron if necessary. She was the infamous Monster

136. darrylzero
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Glad to see others are also feeling Curran as Beric more than Edmure (and not because he’s too old, which he’s not).

Am I just being a dick about Wenham? Was he good in something? I’m practically stewing over the suggestions of him for Beric, which makes me feel an idiot, but my reaction is literally disbelief and anger that apparently not everyone hates him. God, I *am* just being a dick. And a ridiculous Faramir fanboy. Haven’t I outgrown this? Christ.

All right, so, learn me, all you crazy Wenham fans. What am I missing? And don’t say LotR or The 300, because I already loathe those performances.

137. Carne
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:52 am | Permalink

darquemode,

Kristofer Hivju has been doing plays involving sword fighting for several years :)

138. darrylzero
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:01 am | Permalink

ThePinkDragon:
    They can uglify Charlize Theron if necessary. She was the infamous Monster

Sure, they *could*, but should they? Who wins in that scenario?

139. ThePinkDragon
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:12 am | Permalink

darrylzero,

Well, I’m just sayin’ that she doesn’t necessarily have to be someone attractive, although if she was in, she probably would be. IMO, she’s too straight up model beautiful for the show in a way that’s kind-of distracting, but who knows.

140. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Carne,

He’s fairly tall too isn’t he, over 6-feet? (just guessing from photos)
    I’ve only seen him in The Thing, but honestly I was not paying close attention when I watched that.

141. darrylzero
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:23 am | Permalink

ThePinkDragon,

Yeah, I was just kidding. And I agree. Cersei was the only option, really, and that role is in good hands. Maaaaaybe Ellaria or Taena, if they’re not set on darker-complected beauties. With the right Oberyn, Ellaria could be fun (and prompt an explanation of stony vs salty Dornish girls).

142. Drfunk
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Charlize Theron obsessed with GoT and open to joining…. my mind went…
    Sadly the only roles big enough for her to even consider would be from the Martells… I don’t care that she’s not ethnic looking . They could merge the some of the Sand Snakes and get away with her complexion as Tyene Sand while acting the role of Arianne Martell…

Seriously, if she wants to join they would be stupid to refuse. Not only is she insanely hot and a legit A listed movie star, she’s an equally talented actress that would kill any role they’d give her. Heck even using aging makeup, I’d buy her as the Queen of Thorns. She’s that great…. Ok done raving about CT, cleaning up now =)

143. Carne
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Drfunk,

Even if she wants to join doesn’t mean it’s going to be free. She’s probably going to ask for a lot of money, and I’d rather not be distracted by a Hollywood a-lister in GoT.

144. Syrio
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:44 am | Permalink

She’d have been a good Cersei, she too old for Val. Plus Val would not be a big enough role to interest her.

Ashara Dayne if she’s still alive might work, but I doubt she’s alive.

If she’s interested in a cameo she could play Joanna Lannister in a dream sequence.

145. Icebird
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:50 am | Permalink

David Wenham? Yes please! He may be a little too old for the role though…. but he’d be believable as Catelyn’s younger brother still.

146. Hi-Fi
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:50 am | Permalink

Val and Arianne Martell are the only big enough roles left for her.

She could play Septa Lemore? She seems like she could be important down the road. She also matches Tyene Sand’s description, but I have a feeling that the only Sand Snake who’ll play an important role in future events will be Nymeria.

But in the end, I agree with Carne.

147. Domenico Barbato
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Re: Wenham’s Faramir – I think the problem was how the character was scripted (expecially in The Two Towers, while in The Return of the King is more similar to book-Faramir) rather than how it was acted.

148. Adam Austin
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:21 am | Permalink

OK … I was Trying to hold to the “If you can’t say something Nice” but since there are others …
    Please do NOT Cast David Wenham in Any Role!
    I think he’s a Bloody Awful ‘Actor’ and not worthy of any part of GOT apart from maybe being a hanging corpse!
    He got a lucky break with LOTR, and then everything else he’s been in, I crinch watching him.
    If he HAS to be cast, let him be in a flashback scene as Brandon Stark, I’d like to see him strangle himself, bit like he’s done to his career, and laugh that he’s Still sacrifacing himself for daddy! :o)!

149. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Have these hit this site yet?

Valar Morghulis promo photos:

150. lune
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:46 am | Permalink

off-topic, that’s for our saturday laughs: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4wedav1An1rxuhdqo1_500.jpg

151. Lya
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:57 am | Permalink

off-topic, but I had to comment (for the first time actually). I saw this on twitter last night:

BerkshireARTsAcademy ‏@BerkshireARTsAc

Well done @kerrywerryberry for getting the role of ‘Stannis Baretheon’ daughter ‘Shireen’ in ‘Game Of Thrones S3′

152. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Lya,

Assuming it’s accurate…Karen Ingram is our new Shireen.

Another tweet says she goes to Redroofs Theatre School http://www.redroofs.co.uk/ and is rep’ed by Kelly Management.

Some quick sluething work…
    If this is her she was in the production of Matilda nad won an award..

Also was an extra in Les Mis movie this year…

153. HouseLark
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Charlize Theron on GoT would be great but does she love the show so much that she’d work for the kind of fee that a lesser name would? I dunno; big stars are always saying stuff like this. It’s also not an easy show for people to cameo in since it’s filmed all over Europe rather than in an LA studio. She’s a great actor so even a small role would peak a bit of interest, maybe something that is confined to one episode so it doesn’t involve a massive commitment from such a big name.

As for Edmure: I really think this role is going to be slimmed down to the point that he’ll seem like a background character, much like Davos and Asha have been. Dean Lennox Kelly is a good actor, maybe a bit short for the role.

154. ThePinkDragon
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

What a cute little girl! I wonder if they’re gonna eff up her face with greyscale, and how?

155. Lya
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:20 am | Permalink

darquemode,

and Les Miserables was cast by Nina Gold….

156. ThePinkDragon
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Oh, I think that was a spoiler — whoops. If maybe one of the mods can cover that up for me…

157. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Lya,

The Nina Gold connection strikes again!
    Our first Season 3 casting! Huzzah!!

158. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:23 am | Permalink

darquemode,

Kerry Ingram excuse me….

159. Adam Austin
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Kinda Stoked to have been here for the 1st Season 3 Casting. Going by that getreading.com pic, they’ve definately found “Shirreen” What a sweet girl with an usual face :o)
    Thanks for that, Lya :oD

160. Adam Austin
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Lya,

Kinda Stoked to have been here for the 1st Season 3 Casting. Going by that getreading.com pic, they’ve definately found “Shirreen” What a sweet girl with an unusual face :o)
    Thanks for that, Lya :oD

161. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:40 am | Permalink

Thiago Waldhelm,

She’s one of my favourite actress, i can’t think of a lot of women ready to comit to a role as much as she did in Monster. I can’t even start to hope that we’ll see her on GoT one day, that would only prepare myself for disappointment but how sweet would that be?

P.S : whatever happens, i love her even more after reading this interview.

162. Hi-Fi
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:54 am | Permalink

Cool for Kerry!

It’s all happening, guys.

163. Macha
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:01 am | Permalink

SHIREEEEEN!

And of course she’d be an Olivier Award winner. Flawless cast is flawless.

164. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Now that I see her picture I kind of hope they don’t cast Patchface on her…..
    That could traumatize a kid! XD

165. Adam Austin
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:25 am | Permalink

darquemode,

Just give her Ser Dontos then!
    He doesn’t seem to be doing much apart from juggling his balls in front of Cersei :oP

166. ieiazel
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Valyrian:

Simon Woods!! Of all the suggestions for Edmure I like him the most, especially because of the demeanor that you mention. If not him then Peter O’Meara.

167. James
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:53 am | Permalink

I have read interview with Charlize Theron, and it would be amazing if we could have her on GOT. That would be so HUUUUGE. I think that all we need is Miranda Otto and Liv Tyler in the show(and Wenham as Edmure)and my favourite LOTR characters are all in. I dont think Charlize could pull of Arianne(Frida Pinto, maybe?), but Ellaria that could work… I personally adore Otto as Eowyn, and I always thought that Lyanna has Eowyn`s strenghth but Arwen`s beauty. You can`t blame man for dreaming…

168. Peeter Talvistu
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Hi WiC,

Would it be possible to do a post about the correctness of previous predictions/dream castings? Would be interesting to see. Maybe after the third season cast is confirmed though….

169. Blackfish Blues
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I’m so excited about some more fish in the pond that any of these would be fine to me! My mental image is Damian Lewis, but it seems he’s out of reach. However I was shocked to discover that fresh-faced Peter O’Meara was Band of Brothers’ unreliable Lt. Dyke! It would be awesome.

(Not saying that Ed is unreliable. My interpretation of the famous misunderstanding about “holding Riverrun” is that there was a lack of communication as often happens in war; nobody is to blame.)

OT:

Beric Dondarrion: Count me in as one who doesn’t watch “Doctor Who” (too little time) but looked up deliberately the Van Gogh ep, being an art buff, and was blown away by Tony Curran. He even looks like the actor who played Beric in S1. Cast him already!

Delighted by the Shireen news, hope it’s true!

I loved David Wenham in LOTR. He embodied a side of Faramir I could relate to very much. Being the oldest of the batch, he’d be a fine Jon Connington.

Peter Mullan for the Blackfish? Where do I sign up? He’s not my only fave, but I’ll keep quiet for now… I’ll be back with guns blazing for the Blackfish discussion.

170. MoonCoffee
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:21 am | Permalink

Kerry Ingram is so cute! I stumbled upon this while googling:
    And bless her, that sounds like an experience that would bring so much into portrayal of Shireen.

171. Sansa's Lemoncakes
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:21 am | Permalink

IIRC, Simon Woods has quit acting for some or other reason. If you look on his IMDB page, you’ll notice his last role was in 2008.

172. Erik Nikolai
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Kenneth Mitchell, who played “Eric Green” in the TV-series “Jericho”, would be perfect. Search for Kenneth Mitchell on Google Images to see what I mean.

173. ThePinkDragon
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:56 am | Permalink

Peeter Talvistu,

Hmm. Who were we right about, anyway? It’s hard to say because after one point or another, someone suggests the right person, even if they’re in the minority.

But I think we had Tyrion, Brienne, and IIRC Jaime down; and there were definitely some people who suggested Sean Bean for Ned, and were scoffed at. Beyond that, I don’t know. I do remember Lena Headey being suggested for Catelyn — what a funny world that would be, lol!

174. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 7:05 am | Permalink

ThePinkDragon,

Interesting…
    I was not a regular here for Season 1 casting and the preamble, but I’m sure it was fun!

IF the pilot counts I’m pretty sure I saw Ian McNeice as Illyrio floating around somewhere online..

I wonder if they will end up casting Wyman Manderly?
    McNeice would be a great Lord Lamprey!

175. Valyrian
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Kerry Ingram is SO. CUTE.

It’s really a pity, but I think Charlize could only have been Cersei (or Joanna in a dreamsequence, as was suggested), she has far too much Cersei in her to be anyone else, even with dyed hair.
    It would be distracting. And she’s too old for Val.

176. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 7:27 am | Permalink

After considering the usuals suspects I always fall back to like Naveen Andrews, Oded Fehr (both bewtter for Oberyn Martell I think personally) and Hal Oszan,I was trying to find a good Daario Naharis and I may have…Hrithik Roshan a Bollywood actor.

A nice mix of deadly and hearthrob I think…..

177. freyar_88
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

David Wenham! He’d be a great Edmure, but he’d also be a good Beric. We need him on the show.

178. Abby Garrett
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

David Wenham!

179. Dan
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Though I have no doubt Tony Curran could do a fantastic Beric, I can still only see Sean Harris in the role. If anyone has seen Harry Brown with Michael Caine, Harris plays the drug dealer he tries to buy a gun from.

I’ve been trying to find the whole scene on Youtube but can’t, so this is the best I can find:

I think this wasted look he has here would be perfect for the later stages of Beric’s character arc.

180. Honey
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I vote for an unknown or not well known actor that fits that description. I get tired of seeing the same actors in rotating historical and syfy series.

181. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Dan,

Theorhetically he could do both maybe…..The Borgias film at a different time period don’t they? (I don’t watch the Borgias so not sure about it)

He has been one of my top choices for Beric too, but I always wondered if there would be some contract issues seeing as he is on Showtime and Thrones is on HBO. Would they let him cross the line to work for the direct competition like that?

182. Delta1212
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

darquemode,

I think McNeice would have been the perfect Illyrio if they could have kept him on, but he’d make a good Manderly as well. I can get behind that.

Put me on the ‘Tony Curran as Lightning Lord’ bandwagon. Between my appreciation for his acting ability and the fact that he actually looks like extra!Beric, I think he’s perfect.

Also, as long as we’re throwing out non-Edmure casting ideas, I’m putting my support behind Ian McShane for Doran Martell (I know, probably not till season 4 at the earliest). He doesn’t look like my mental picture, but ever since I heard the suggestion, I’ve been enamored with it. He’s got a dark enough complexion to be Dornish. Once you factor in the general age up of 10-20 years for most of the adults, he’s about right there. He also has ‘not quite good but not quite evil scheming leader’ down to a science.

Plus, he’s Ian McShane, which is always a bonus.

183. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Delta1212,

LOVE McShane!!

He may be about 10-15 years too old for any of the roles that he would rock in Thrones though…. I could overlook it becuase he is Ian McShane XD

I can almost picture him as Mance Rayder or The Blackfish even like others desire… Doran too. I always pictured Oded Fehr or Cliff Simon as Oberyn…. Doran I never had a strong image for… Hmmmm McShane. Maybe.

184. Drfunk
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

I see what you did there. Also I approve :D

185. fecka
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

David Wenham of course

186. serum
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

david wenham would be the perfect edmure tully, it is known

187. Nick Larter
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Given how Edmure came over as to me in the books I’d have to go for Wilmot – he acts ‘dim and useless’ the best of those four, from what I recall of their works. Curran’s a Beric alright!

188. The Kingshaver
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Curran for the win! He was great in Doctor Who, he would nail this.

189. Irene
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Rufus Sewell!!!!!!!!!!!!

190. The Kingslayer
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Nice one of my suggestions actually made the list. David Wenham is perfect for Edmure Tully, If only Sean could maybe put in a good word for him to D & D or Nina.

191. Jen@House Stark
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I like Peter O’Meara for Edmure and David Wenham for Beric Dondarrion. Judi Dench or Maggie Smith for the Queen of Thorns but if not, that Fionnula Flanagan looks awesome.

192. rachael
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I met Tony Curran in ABC in Glasgow at new year and he said he had previously auditioned for GoT. Might have been Davos or something, so likely he will audition again.

193. Carne
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Dan,

Dan, here is the full scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtbE0rMY74

And yes, Sean Harris has been my pick since I read the book! He’s one of the best actors I know about. Absolutely amazing! Really hope they manage to fit him into GoT.

194. Kurgana
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

darquemode:

I have also imagined Naveen Andrews as the Red Viper, but all in all he may be a better fit as Daario Naharis. A Bollywood Daario could end up too exaggerated imho. Oded Fehr would be a great Oberyn.

Sean Harris would make a perfect Beric Dondarrion.

I’d love Fionnula Flanagan as the Queen of Thorns, imho she’d be a better pick than Maggie Smith, who would be wonderful, but it is slightly too obvious given her Downton Abbey part.

My dream casting for the season is Robert Carlyle as Mance Rayder. A girl can dream…

195. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    Delta1212,

LOVE McShane!!

McShane could easily be the Blackfish OR Doran Martell, that would be a coup!

Speaking of possible big-name cameos and Theron, how about for Dara, (Mance’s wife, right? Wouldn’t that be a quick couple scenes and out?

196. Jen@House Stark
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    Delta1212,

LOVE McShane!!

I’m with you on Oded Fehr for the Red Viper – yummy in The Mummy!

darquemode,

197. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

The Dorne characters have to be non-white/caucasion. My preference would be Mediterranean’s for the Dorne characters and Middle Easterners for the Slavers’ Bay characters. Although I suppose it doesn’t really matter. Because Oded Fehr would be perfect as Oberyn.

198. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Irene,

I would love to see Rufus Sewell in Thrones!
    I think he could pull off a good Mance, maybe even Blackfish. I think the Blackfish may be too small of a role for him though….

Here he with long hair and a nice grey beard:

199. Carne
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

E-mailed Sean Harris’ agent a couple of weeks ago but no reply at all :(

200. sherry
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

I think Gabriel Mann from the show Revenge, and Legend of the Seeker would be a fitting Edmure. Tony Curran would be great, too!

201. sherry
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

YES, Rufus Sewell just HAS to be in Game of Thrones sometime, he just HAS to be!!!!!!!!!:D

202. Russ
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I’ll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring for Wenham playing Beric. That would be spot on casting, imho.

203. Valyrian
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I’ve been thinking this afternoon, and just got an idea that Tamsin Egerton could be good for Val, she’s got the right look, but I’m not sure about her acting though, only ever saw her in Driving Lessons and Camelot. Driving Lessons is as far away from GoT as can be and Camelot is…well, Camelot.

204. darquemode
    Posted June 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Valyrian,

She does have a connection to the series. XD
    They can go so many ways for Val.
    I picture her a little bit older than Tamsin though…
    My two picks for Val at the moment are Diane Kruger and Sophia Myles.

It will be interesting when the Mance Rayder casting post goes up!
    Most of my picks over the years are all busy with projects right now and most likely unable to be cast as Mance…. I need inspiration! XD

I think Mance is one role they could have a “bigger” name since it shoould be a decent role to play for a couple years. I so wanted Purefoy or Mikkelsen, but both are out of the running I think… I would love Jason Isaacs in the role, but that seems out of reach to me. McShane is one a lot of people talk about, but I pictured Mance a bit younger….. Right now I’m liking the idea of Rufus Sewell!
    Ask me next week and it may be someone else though. XD

205. The Kingslayer
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 3:40 am | Permalink

I think Kerry Condon would make a great Val if she packed on a couple pounds.

Rufus IMO would make a good Mance or Crows Eye.

206. Milknut
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 3:42 am | Permalink

I’m a non-book reader but I love David Wenham. Tony Curran looks the most like Catelyn.

207. darquemode
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 4:13 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer,

I like her too, but after being on Luck portraying a jockey she would need to pack on a lot of pounds! XD
    Then again she could already be back to her normal svelte self…. I have not seen her since Luck was cancelled.

208. Maud77
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

I could picture Andrew Mcnair as Edmure. He played Thomas Seymour on Tudors.

209. darquemode
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Just saw this on TV (again, it’s not new) and had to post it…
    I wonder if the Scott’s EZ Seed lawn guy can act? XD

210. MATTHEW
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Perhaps this is his chance to finally land a lasting role on an HBO series.
    NickS: good one

Edmure doesn’t die; he’s just not a major character. He was upstairs banging the Frey bride during the Red Wedding.
    And I think he’s in book 4 for a bit, talking to Jaime and I’m sure we’ll see more of him in books 6+

211. booklvr44
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

David Wenham for Edmure!!! He may attract new fans.

212. Danielle
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 1:06 am | Permalink

I wonder if Nina could get Simon Pegg to play Edmure. She did casting for Hot Fuzz. I don’t think he really fits the physical description of Edmure but I’ve always seen him as kind of the comic relief of the books, up to a point. and Simon is brilliantly funny. But I still would rather have Alan Tudyk, I see Edmure as Wash from Firefly with worse judgement. :)

213. darquemode
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 6:29 am | Permalink

Valyrian,

Opps I was thinking Tamsin Merchant! XD

Yes I can see Tamsin Egerton too!

214. Nikki
    Posted June 4, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Kevin McKidd needs to be on this list!

215. Jenny
    Posted June 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Has NOBODY EVER thought of this guy?

Sam Reid?

216. msd
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Better late than never …

I’m going to say Toby Stephens. Excellent actor, about the right age for Cat’s younger brother, a natural ginger and just generally very well suited to play Edmure, imo.

217. Dave Brownell
    Posted June 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

DAVID WENHAM!!!DAVID WENHAM!!!DAVID WENHAM!!!DAVID WENHAM!!!

218. Lexyvil
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

It’s a bit hard for me to imagine them having longer beards. But judging from their current photo appearances, I’d root for Wenham for the role. Although not sure how each of their accent sound.

219. Cheyenne
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I Picture Max Brown (with red hair+beard) as Edmure Tully. He also played the role of Edward Seymour in the Tudors.

When i started reading a Song of ice and fire books a always pictured Edmure to look like him with red hair!

here a pic of him as Seymour in the Tudors