New location details for Croatia and Morocco
By Ours is the Fury on in News, Production.

A report in the Dubrovnik Times confirms that the “old city” section of Dubrovnik will once again stand in for King’s Landing, and that the Arboretum located in Trsteno, Croatia, will also be used as a location for season 3.

According to the Dubrovnik Times, “it is not yet known which role the historic arboretum will play. Trsteno is located around 30 kilometres north of Dubrovnik and was founded in the 15th century making it one of the oldest arboretums in Europe.”

They also note that “it is believed that filming will start much later than last year, probably in late September and early October and will last a little shorter than for the second series.”

In other location news, WiC commenter Lex attended George R. R. Martin’s reading in Seattle yesterday and has news about Morocco. The author confirmed that the location in Morocco is indeed being used for Daenerys Slaver’s Bay scenes, as many had suspected.

Ours is the Fury: The Arboretum location is gorgeous. What scenes do you think it will be used for in season 3?

1. Impi
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

How pretty!

Maybe some Dontos, Sansa meet ups?

2. Mormegil
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I’d say it would be the Water Gardens if we were getting some Dorne scenes. If not then it would have to be somewhere in Kings Landing I would guess.

3. Ivan Popić
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Yet another location which I visited. They have a 500 year old oak at Trsteno and the whole arboretum is amazing. They used to have a bamboo grove which looked amazing. Unfortunatly, a large section of the park was destroyed in a forrest fire few years back but the renneaisance park part of it was saved.
    If my memory serves me there is a really nice terrace by the sea with amazing view of Elafiti islands which are right of the coast. I can see them using that particular location for filming.

4. Hunter
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Maybe Doran’s Water Gardens?

5. The Rabbit
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

It is hot over here and I am so lazy…
    But found a nice link of Arboretum history http://secretdalmatia.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/arboretum-trsteno-near-dubrovnik-www-tours-in-croatia-com/and few more pics.

Also “the filming will start much later these season…blah..blah..late september- early october..blah” is exactly when they filmed in Dubrovnik last year.

Oh, those journalists lol

6. Timdorion
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

7. Jonathan
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

damnit – late september? I was planing a vacation in croatia at the end of august.

8. alex
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hunter,

you know, after I looked at the photos, I think it could work quite well. but Dorne doesn’t appear until AFfC, does it ?

9. Macha
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Such a beautiful place, I love how they keep improving the KL scenes with these gorgeous locations each new season.

10. Impi
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to whoever spoilered my first post. Sorry, I wasn’t even thinking about how that would be spoilery.

I agree that Water Gardens would be great, but I cannot think why that would be this season.

11. darquemode
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

It’s odd, but even knowing the location is probably in Salver’s Bay the first location that comes to mind for me is the water gardens that Myrcella Lannister and Trystane Martell would play Cyvasse in….

Perhaps there will be a Dorne scene?

No Slaver’s Bay locale comes to mind, but it is very scenic and will be a great backdrop for any scene….

12. Impi
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

So, when I preview a post, it shows my gravatar, but when I post, it doesn’t show. anyone know what I am doing wrong?

13. andrea
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Timdorion,

yes, with the exact same picture. I think it was one of our slavic friends who also suggested it as Doran Martell´s Gardens.

Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Although George said that Morocco will be used for Slaver’s Bay, I guess it’s still possible that it could also be used for Dorne. He didn’t rule that out – he didn’t mention Dorne either way.

15. dmf
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I hope they don’t shove Dorne into this season because I feel like there’s already gonna be an overload of new characters as is… don’t get me wrong I cannot wait for Dorne to be a part of the story but I just think being patient and telling the story of the Red Viper etc (who I think will be introduced ep 8 or 9) first would be best.

16. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

That looks amazing. Thank the gods for the Renaissance, or else there’d be some kind of hideous crucifiction scene up there in place of that pagan with a pitchfork.

I really have to go to Croatia some time. I’m really in to Roman history, and they’ve got plenty of that there, and much more. Dubrovnik alone is an amazing set location, not to mention this place. Can’t wait to see what gets filmed there.

Don’t know about Doran though. Is he even in ASoS? As far as I remember, Oberyn shows up in book 3 sans Doran, and we don’t get into his story until AFfC. Could be wrong about that though. It’s been a while since I’ve read it… And, D&D might be mixing things around, so we meet him earlier on the show than we do in the books. If not, I would imagine that would be a good location to demonstrate the wealth of a slaver city, like Astapor, or to film a scene or two for Joffrey’s wedding. Hard to say, though.

17. Vinicius
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

water gardens, no doubt.

18. Carne
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I doubt it’s Dorne. As D&D already said, they don’t want to cast characters, feature them in one episode and put them on hold for another year. Dorne in season 3 doesn’t make any sense.

19. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins,
    As a fellow aficionado of all things Roman…have you read Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series? Best historical fiction on the fall of the Republic ever written IMHO. It would be an amazing series if it is ever adapted.

20. Arthur
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I think this is a good sign for people like me who want less King’s Landing this season and more of the other POV storylines, mainly Dany, Jon Snow, Arya and of course Bran. With that report that they are filming later and staying shorter it leads me to believe that there will be less scenes overall in KL, which is good because season 2s main focus, and rightfully so, was KL and the building up to the attack from Stannis.

I know many of you don’t share my opinion on “less Tyrion and KL and more Dany and the Stark children”, for seaons 3, but with this news it looks like that is the direction we are heading. Which IMHO is awesome news. Then again I could be reading into it to much and because of my desire for what I just said my brain is making connections for my desires to be true that just isn’t there.

On another note, any of you WiC detectives find any more hints from tweeter or any other spot about possible castings (Sarah Bolger?). Nathalie and Charlotte are confirmed we just are debating who exactly they will play. Sadly is seems Sarah may have just been wishful thinking so I am really wishing for more evidence that she will be a huge part of Bran’s storyline…

21. patchy face
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Happy 4th to all my fellow Yanks..celebrating by watching the excellent HBO series, John Adams & recalling how GREAT Stephen Dillane is as Thomas Jefferson! Wishing for a lot more Stannis next season…

22. The Rabbit
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Two possible ideas for the Arboretum:

1. Quarth – before Dany leaves it.
    2. KL Godswood for Sansa and Dontos.

23. Nick Larter
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Two possible ideas for the Arboretum:

1. Quarth – before Dany leaves it.
    2. KL Godswood for Sansa and Dontos.

Ha Ha – one has to get up early to catch a rabbit – I was about to post with the same two ideas :D

24. Sharade
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Wish they were more specific about Morocco…I live there and I would love to meet Emilia Clarke and the rest of the cast who will be there. But I still don’t know where exactly they are going to be filming :(

25. Impi
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Yeah I posted #2. Someone put it in spoilers for me… incase you boys want to spoiler yours.

26. Wray
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it’s for a scene in Highgarden before the Tyrell contingent shows up in Kings Landing.

27. Nick Larter
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Summerhall flashbacks Hark! A flock of flying pigs has just landed on my roof and are grubbing amongst the tiles! :O

28. darquemode
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Wray,

That is a really good theory!
    Highgarden is supposed to have a lot of gardens and pools that I can see this being one of them easily!

Outside of that I like the idea of the Godswood in KL too…..

29. Macha
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Wray,

Interesting, and could be, however why include something you don’t need at all? We still haven’t seen Highgarden in the novels, and presumably if you show it on-screen, you’re not going to show just a fountain, you’d need a whole set, CGI etc. Margaery and Loras are already shown in KL at the end of S2, so why have it? The place looks ideal for both Highgarden and Dorne (though I’ve always imagined Dorne as being much more arid, even with the fountains), but I think it’s a bit unlikely they’ll show Highgarden at this point.

30. Juan
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Most part of the KL scenes of last season were filmed in Ireland indoors in a studio. Dubrovnik was only used for exterior shots. It makes sense that they stay less time this year if you take into account there is no Battle of the Blackwater to film.

As to the other storylines I think Jon’s and Arya’s (most likely some things will be cut in her story) will feature more than Dany and Bran.

31. Juan
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

I’d put my money on the KL Godswood. I think that if they start off the season with Dany still in Qarth will slow down her story, kind of. In my opinion the first time we see her she should be in a ship bound for Pentos/Astapor, and meet Arstan when she arrives to her destination.

Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I agree with you. Tyrion has had his moment to shine, but Jon got kind of screwed last season (aside from the breathtaking, spectacular scenery). They really need to give him more of the spotlight in Season 3. I’d also like to see a lot more of Stannis/Davos relationship at Dragonstone, and Arya with the Brotherhood Without Banners.

33. Macha
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Juan,
    From what I recall, Blackwater was filmed in Ireland as well. ;)

Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Juan,

I agree that Dany needs to get out of Qarth quickly, but I think we still need a scene at the docks, where she meets a certain old man…

35. Alan
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    I think this is a good sign for people like me who want less King’s Landing this season and more of the other POV storylines, mainly Dany, Jon Snow, Arya and of course Bran.With that report that they are filming later and staying shorter it leads me to believe that there will be less scenes overall in KL, which is good because season 2s main focus, and rightfully so, was KL and the building up to the attack from Stannis.

I know many of you don’t share my opinion on “less Tyrion and KL and more Dany and the Stark children”, for seaons 3, but with this news it looks like that is the direction we are heading.Which IMHO is awesome news.Then again I could be reading into it to much and because of my desire for what I just said my brain is making connections for my desires to be true that just isn’t there.

On another note, any of you WiC detectives find any more hints from tweeter or any other spot about possible castings (Sarah Bolger?). Nathalie and Charlotte are confirmed we just are debating who exactly they will play.Sadly is seems Sarah may have just been wishful thinking so I am really wishing for more evidence that she will be a huge part of Bran’s storyline…

In other words, perhaps there’s simply not a whole lot of outdoor scenes.

As for Bran and the Reeds, he really isn’t a very big part of the story in terms of plotpoints. I don’t expect to add a lot given the crowding of the story, even though Bran could use it. His story has got to be one of the biggest pains for the writers — it’s really, really slow and doesn’t have easily digestable touchpoints and arcs to separate. There’s a lot they could do — focusing on him coming to grips with his disability, losing his family, etc. But I don’t know if they will have the time.

36. Carne
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I’m so confused when it comes to King’s Landing :S

Whenever they are walking around in the city it looks very warm, and palm trees can be seen in some scenes.

Yet when they are outside the city gates it looks like Nothern Ireland. For example, Robert hunting which is definitely not a forest in Croatia.

37. Arthur
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Yeah, nothing against Peter as Tyrion but Tyrion is a fully fleshed out character, more so then any other except maybe Cers. Dany and Jon really didn’t do much last season so I am looking forward to a lot more of them in season 3. You all know how I feel about Bran, with a strong casting and characters in his storyline now I exspect a lot more of Bran. Arya needs some work too, maybe her meeting up with the Hound can come this season and D&D can work with that to make her storyline badass. . Brienne and Jaime will be awesome to see. God there is so much to look forward to!

Thank the Seven D&D are going to take 20 episodes to tell the story of book 3. One of my only complaints was a lot of season 2 felt rushed. D&D not only had to deal with budget but also with time constraints. Season 3 and 4 will probably feel way less rushed and progress at a more natural pace.

We also need to see Robb, Greywind and Talisa and build up their relationship a lot more. There is so much story telling to do!

38. H, aka Vee
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    2. KL Godswood for Sansa and Dontos.

This was my first thought as well.

39. Arthur
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I agree with you about Bran’s storyline being a pain for the writers. That is why I was so “pro-Reeds”. Now with the Reeds coming and hopefully Sarah as Meera. D&D can take the liberty (with input from GRRM) to add more interactions and adventure in his storyline. I can see Meera having to double back and outflank persuers to stick an arrow in their ass and stuff like that (Hunger Games style). D&D can really spice up Bran’s adventure with his Warging and the Reeds now…

40. Mormegil
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Arthur: Arya needs some work too,

Unless everyone is wrong about the RW being this season then Arya will have had to meet the Hound this season unless they are changing the story.

41. Pepi
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

What about Maidenpool? I know it wouldn’t be pratical for the Ireland based cast and crew to transfer to Croatia just (for Jamie and Brienne) to cross Maidenpool but it’s a thought at least. The statue also fits with the Manderly theme … but it’s too soon for that.

42. Lisa McDowell
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Looks like the Water Gardens to me!

43. Mormegil
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Alan: How much of KL is really shot in Croatia? The outdoor scenes, surely, but the Throne Room, Cersei’s and the Hand’s rooms, Sansa’s room — that’s all soundstage, right.

Yes any indoor shots (especially ones used a lot) will most likely be the Paint Hall in Belfast.

44. scatterbrained
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I’m wondering if I should go and start a camp there already.

45. Bigragu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I know it most definitely won’t be used for this, but to me it looks like a perfect set for White Harbor

46. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Carne,

The first season KL was shot in Malta not Croatia .

47. HouseLark
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Arthur,

Agree entirely. Stannis and Davos were really under-written last season which I think reduced the tension for the Blackwater episode since it made it hard to root for them. And Jon… Jon is the one area where I am aggravated by the show’s deviation from the books. Jon’s journey was cut to ribbons last season, all the major elements that contribute to his development as a future leader were cut in favour of a bit of bawdy banter with Ygritte. They also made Jon, well, stupid. The Jon in the books is smart, naive for sure, but still clever and capable of evaluating a situation and choosing a sensible and logical course of action. Season Two Jon was almost that typical cliche pretty boy you find in Chuck Lorre sitcoms.

On the locations: They should take greater advantage of Croatia, it’s such a beautiful country. Here’s the Dorne water gardens at Plitvice Lakes (if it’s possible to film there)

48. Erik
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Filming will start in late September, brilliant, I’ll be in Dubrovnik from 22-24 September by pure coincidence due to my job. :)

49. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

To be honest i couldn’t care less about Dontos and his whole story arc in fact i’m kinda glad they cut him out of most of season 2 because i don’t really like his character in the books and i think he’s useless and that whole twist that Martin did in ASOS only proves my point . They can give his plotline to someone else like Myranda for example .

50. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

HouseLark,

No offense but Jon and Dany in the books are the definition of cliche characters , i don’t care what anyone says ,it’s the truth. I have no problem with people liking them but don’t tell me that they’re this wonderful and complex characters because i’m gonna laugh right in your face .

51. darquemode
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

I tend to agree with you.
    Their most complicated or deep aspects come from their connection to the greater narrative and prophecy of the saga….

52. The mighty hodor
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

Ha! What a cliche statement!

53. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Question for you, have you ever posted anything friendly on this site? Because every comment I have seen seems to be attacking people for their opinions. And Jon and Dany to me are interesting characters. But that is my opinion. You can laugh in my face but you might come off looking like a jerk.

54. WildSeed
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić:

Brilliant. I can actually see how beautiful the place must be from your description :D
    There are endless possibilities of the locale fitting into GoT scenes.

55. Andrija Andrew p
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Timdorion: If I remember correctly, someone on here suggested this exact location already several weeks ago ?

Yep it was me. I was sure they wouldn’t skip that location cause the scenery is PERFECT. I just whish they’d consider some of the castles for Riverlands and Dorne…
    Oh and this one would be a really good fit if they decide to advance that scene on the Quiet Isle with Brienne http://www.apartmentsadria.com/Repository/Sjeverna%20Dalmacija/Visovac%20da%20da.jpg

56. Arthur
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

The only reason why Dany and Jon don’t seem as complex to some people is because their storyline is secluded and doesn’t really overlap any other POV character’s storyline. Dany and Jon both get stronger and stronger as their storyline continues. Each one has to conquer many obstacles and they grow from each conquest. Their storylines are just as rich as any characters in the books, season 2 was a very slow arc for them. Season 3 and 4 will be a lot different. To say they aren’t as complex as other POV characters is just a matter of opinion seeded by their storylines remoteness from all the other POV characters.

Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    darquemode,

I think you replied to the wrong person…? Did you mean to reply to Claudiu Gherganu perhaps? I’m pretty sure I’ve read positive comments by darquemode.

58. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Let’s keep the discourse civil here, everyone.

59. caro h
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

maybe it could be the place where sansa’s wedding take place? if that’s the godswood, then i think it’s pretty and can’t wait for those scenes, but maybe it can also serve later on for the water gardens? i just can’t picture which place in danny’s storyline would it be in the first half of the book since astapor doesn’t look like that, so maybe yunkai and the cliffhanger for the season for dany would be winning over that city??

60. Macha
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Lex,

It happened to me a few times as well, sometimes the commands get a bit glitchy when replying.

Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

HouseLark

62. darquemode
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I just agreed with Claudiu. That was friendly! XD
    Even if I don’t agree with everything said…. I do not recall agreeing I would laugh in anyone’s face. I agreed with the point made.

Honestly, that comment of mine attacked no one. I was not commenting on your views or anyone elses views whatsoever. If you feel attacked, I apologize, but I did not attack you. I honestly had not even considered the original comment, your point of view on the topic or anyone else’s other than the specific comment I replied to. Nor should I ever have to consider everyone’s view of every previous comment honestly.

I was reading and responding to a specific comment with a point I had not considered before and found I agreed with. So I posted I agreed and why. That is all.

Enjoy your Fourth of July.
    See, that was friendly again. XD

63. bon
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew p,

To me first looks like a castle in the North… Torrhen’s Square…
    Second could be Astapor or Mereen…
    Third Stone Hedge…
    Fourth completely undefenceable, maybe Stokeworth…
    It’s only my opinion…

64. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I think you’re replying to the wrong person and i don’t really think i attacked other people for their opinions in fact it’s you who is attacking me because i don’t like your favorite characters and acting like a total fanboy .

65. darquemode
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew p,

Great links thanks!
    I can definitely see some of those used for some scene, but I’m not the location scout I guess…..

66. darquemode
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Thaty makes sesne, I was con-Fu-zed! XD
    I thought I had just agreed with someone and not been mean or negative whatsoever!

67. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

68. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

I was replying to Claudiau… stupid IPhone. Nothing directed at you. Sorry.

69. WildSeed
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    Lex,

Thaty makes sesne, I was con-Fu-zed! XD

It was rather obvious really but you’re such a nice guy so you questioned yourself :D
    Well let’s keep having brainstorms and GoT trivia with leaving the brain farts to
    certain others. Ours is the Fury has reminded us of remaining civil and respectful.
    Honestly, all I can think about now is the synopsis of GRRM book reading. How
    can anyone of us top that ? It’s not often that happens unless it’s a cozy coffeehouse
    or indépendant bookseller with a lesser known author.

70. Matt's Game of Thron
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I’m up to date on the TV show but haven’t read the books. I must say that I’m really proud of this show for choosing such exotic locations to film. I live in Vancouver and I’m actually tired of seeing the same areas over and over again in film (disguised to be Seattle, New York, etc.). I actually want to go to Iceland now, since I found of that’s where Jon Snow’s storyline was filmed this season.

71. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

I was pointing out that a lot of comments you have made on this site come off to me as negative, abrasive and intolerant to the opinions of others. I was just wondering if you had anything positive to say is all. Because regardless if I love or hate a character if someone tells me that x character is not complex and laughs in my face if my opinion is to the contrary than I have no interest in hearing that person’s opinion. Why should I respect their opinion if they do not respect mine? Know what I mean? Now if that person gave me a knowing smirk, a frown, shake if the head or possesed a mischievous twinkle in the eyes for example, that’s a different story.

So let’s bury the tomahawk shall we? Arthur gave a good example why Jon and Dany are often maligned by readers and I will further say that though they are cliche type characters it is clear to me, that like ASOIAF itself, they are subversions of traditional fantasy tropes. Whether you appeciate them as characters is your own thing, but don’t sneer at the opinions of others is all I am saying. I apologize for my kneejerk reaction and I hope that you understand where I am coming from. :-)

72. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I don’t really respond negatively to people unless they are acting like a bunch of trolls which happened many times during the second season of the show or they’re repeating the same shit over and over again like Arthur did at the beginning , now he’s not that bad even though i still disagree with him on many things . But like you said let’s just end this and stay on topic .

73. Langkard
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

I still think it’s possible that some Dorne scenes will be added/moved up into this season. The reason is because they mentioned Dorne multiple times in Season 2, including making a rather big deal out of Myrcella being sent there. Dan & Dave may feel it is important to not let the idea of Dorne slip the minds of viewers for 2 entire seasons until Season 5. This doesn’t necessarily require Aimee Richardson as Myrcella, either. Just a short scene to remind people that Dorne is there and mention Myrcella as being there. So don’t be surprised if Dorne somehow makes a minor appearance, just to keep that story arc semi-alive in the viewers’ thoughts.

74. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I’d have to agree with all that, I’m a pretty big fan of Jon Snows story, but perhaps not so much Dany. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to laugh in the face of whoever likes Dany, having differences of opinion is fine, even interesting. It shouldn’t be insulting. Anyway sorry to weigh in on a discussion that has nothing to do with me haha, just wanted to put that out there.

75. Impi
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

As I am watchinga PBS’ A Capitol 4th, and I see all the boats lined up in the Potomac, is it wrong that all I can think is “Wildfire!”?

76. Knurk
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Sharade:

You can count on it they will film it in Ouarzazate and Ait Benhaddou and use the sets of Kingdom of Heaven like they did in the original pilot.

And though Plitvice Lakes is the most gorgeous place on earth I’ve ever set foot on I don’t think the crew will be allowed to film in a nature reserve (?). Maybe a nice helicopter shot but no way in hell they can set up camp there.

77. Langkard
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Knurk

I agree, both in it being one of the most beautiful locations on the planet and that it is too environmentally sensitive for filming to be allowed there. Visiting the Plitvice is on my bucket list.

78. andrea
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Plitvice Lakes

O_O
    I must gather some money, I must gather some money.
    I must get new passport, I must get new passport.

79. Always Winter
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

I think it’s time to shelve our hopes for Dorne in Season 3. To me it makes more sense to wait until after Robb’s death in the Riverlands and the results of the Kingsmoot on the Iron Islands so that these two locations effectively recede into the background, then introduce viewers to new places that are more prominent in the next part of the narrative (Dorne and Braavos). It keeps things fluid and helps reduce the budget. Westeros is a vast and overwhelming place to the uninitiated and it’s better to take it one step at a time. Plus, D&D have done a pretty good job of making us aware that Dorne exists without staging any scenes there. We know about Dornish wine, Dornish girls, etc etc all through character dialogue, and I bet we’ll get an earful of “how could you send my daughter to Dorne” from Cersei next season to keep it on the brain.

In the meantime, Slaver’s Bay! I can’t wait to see how they handle that, especially with Morocco as the backdrop!

80. Alan
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Langkard:
    I still think it’s possible that some Dorne scenes will be added/moved up into this season.The reason is because they mentioned Dorne multiple times in Season 2, including making a rather big deal out of Myrcella being sent there.Dan & Dave may feel it is important to not let the idea of Dorne slip the minds of viewers for 2 entire seasons until Season 5.This doesn’t necessarily require Aimee Richardson as Myrcella, either.Just a short scene to remind people that Dorne is there and mention Myrcella as being there. So don’t be surprised if Dorne somehow makes a minor appearance, just to keep that story arc semi-alive in the viewers’ thoughts.

As much as I would like that, mentioning Dorne in dialogue or even introducing Oberyn are all much easier ways of keeping Dorne in mind than actually showing Dorne. There’s locations, sets, costumes to be done — they haven’t even devised a “look” for Dorne, I wouldn’t think. An they’d have to cast at least a couple of new actors a season early and all the costs that go with that.

I’d love it. I don’t see it happening.

81. Bonnie Blue
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I agree, I am looking forward to Dorne as well, but with SO much going on in book three, I really don’t think they will have the time or the need to introduce Dorne, physically, at least…
    Book three has so much going on with plots and story, they don’t really need to take things from the later books. Some of the books are slower than others, but book three is not in need of any extra action or plots! It was by far my favorite, and I can’t wait to see how the creators of the show are going to pull it off! :)

82. Kroket
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 4:18 am | Permalink

The problem with not showing Dorne in season 3 at all is you can’t realistically show Myrcella’s arrival there anymore in season 4 timeline wise. Too much time has passed and they don’t use flashbacks… So basically at the Water Gardens Myrcella, Doran, Trystane etc. would all know each other already which would seem odd.
    Having said that it’s just too expensive to get actors for one or two scenes as we all know and the series might still get crowded despite the 2 seasons for the book. \
    Will be interesting to see how they solve this one without it being weird… Also Aimee deserves something to do. Maybe they just show her arrival and cast a young actor for Trystane at Water Gardens (so this could be the location) and we can learn about Oberyn, Doran and Arianne from them. Seems a decent solution. Water Gardens will look weird with children wearing the Westeros equivalent of a bathing suit thoug…

83. HouseLark
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu:
    HouseLark,

OK, I’ll respond because your point is valid but I don’t like the tone of with which you made it. Yes, both Jon and Dany’s stories have some of the traditional elements that Joseph Campbell noted in The Hero with a Thousand Faces so in that respect they are kind of cliched. However, the path that each follows is something that most certainly isn’t cliched. I can’t retrace every step that Jon and Dany make but events such as the death of Qhorin, Dany’s euthanising of Drogo, Dany’s cruelty when dealing with her enemies, and Jon’s arrogance as a leader all add layers of complexity to characters that might be otherwise cliched.

84. HouseLark
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Lex: Wow… that’s beautiful! Not what I imagined for the water gardens in the book, but it could DEFINITELY work.

It wasn’t what I first thought of either, I imagined the water gardens to be on a much smaller scale. But when I saw Plitvice I just thought it looked magical then the more I thought about the Dorne water gardens I realised that they should be impressive, almost unbelieveable to gain renown – I started to think of them as one of the “Wonders of Westeros” along with the Wall.

85. you-know-nothing
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 4:43 am | Permalink

People please, there will be no Dorne this season, for a number of reasons.
    1. Dorne isn’t even in book 3.
    2. The budget couldn’t handle the extra locale.
    3. We haven’t had mention of any extra locale, we know now that we will be in Iceland (Beyond the Wall), N.Ireland (The North), Croatia (Kings Landing) and Morocco (Slavers Bay)
    4. The only Dornish Character we are likely to see in the near future is Oberyn, and that could be next season.

So please guys, give Dorne a rest.

I personally feel that the location featured above, which is in Croatia not Morocco; so therefore not in Dany’s storyline, could be used for Sansa’s night time meetings or possibly, but probably not for the Grotto scene with Beric v The Hound

86. you-know-nothing
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Kroket,

87. Nick Larter
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 5:08 am | Permalink

I’ve been to Plitvice

- there are a few spots you could go to with a crew that wouldn’t do damage – the bit behind the hotel where the Jurassic-Park style buses stop; the main cafe area on the big lake; the clifftop with the views overlooking the southernmost lakes. Surely the bigger issue would be the considerable loss of tourist revenue during the season, if bits got closed for a week?

88. Mormegil
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 5:16 am | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu: OT: I think that they should film a couple of scenes for KL in Morroco too, don’t you think guys ? I wasn’t around at the time the original pilot was shot so can you tell if they shot any scenes in KL there ?

Pretty sure there wasn’t. IIRC the only KL scene in the pilot script was Tyrion in a Brothel (with the Red haired whore later to be known as Ros) and that would have been shot in Belfast.

89. Kroket
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 5:38 am | Permalink

you-know-nothing: Kroket, How would it be odd? Even in the books, our introduction to The Martells is months after Myrcella has arrived. They’d just have to have Doran comment on how well Myrcella has fitted in.I don’t see any problem with introducing Dorne at the time we’re supposed to be, i.e book 4, season 5?

Well that’s true but this will look weird on TV. I suppose it could work but showing Myrcella and Trystane (not Doran and Arianne who would be at Sunspear) would be a great and cheap way to set-up the other characters.

The location could easily double as the KL godswood for example.

90. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Hmmm.. I’m still hoping for a long weekend in Croatia. Fingers crossed I can do it ;)

91. The_Rabbit01
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Nick Larter,

There was a fire issue recently at Plitvice some months ago, I think.
    I think also that famous “Lička Kuća” Lika – House was burnt down.

Jackie MacPherson,

keeping fingers crossed for it, as well ;)

92. Chris77
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 7:34 am | Permalink

I am all for the KL Godswood.

Off Topic: This will be perfect for the next Sat GOT Laughs:

Season one was already great, but THIS is A W E S O M E !!!

I want that Littlefinger interlude as my new Avatar GIF…

93. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Varamyr Fourskins,
    As a fellow aficionado of all things Roman…have you read Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series?Best historical fiction on the fall of the Republic ever written IMHO. It would be an amazing series if it is ever adapted.

I read them mate, pretty good although a bit long…rooted for Sila (Sulla) myself ;)

94. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Agreed. Sulla was amazing. The first three books focusing on Marius versus Sulla was fantastic adaptation of history. They were long yes, but once you cracked the halfway point in The First Man in Rome you get hooked. Book II and III were the equivalent of the first three books of ASOIAF.

95. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Regarding Dorne, I doubt we will see it this season but along with the Dorne references thus far they really need to start talking about Elia Martell at some point. Her name is all over the bluray histories and lore so some unsullied may know of her but they have to name drop her in the series this season. They could do this by casting Edric Dayne of
    The BwB.

96. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Jackie MacPherson,

Hoping you give us some details about the filming there (:

97. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    The BwB.

Yeah, the tv viewers still don’t know exactly why the Martells hate the Lannisters, they just assume they simply dislike them .

98. Chris
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Matt’s Game of Thron,

Ha ha.
    I DON’T live in Vancouver and I feel your pain.
    “Stargate SG-1″ comes to mind. We’d see the exact same patch of Canadian forest over and over again, sometimes dressed up a little. I remember one sequence that supposedly took place in South America and… there we were again. Same forest with some vaguely tropical looking plants stuck here and there.
    I’ve been to Dubrovnik (before it got bombed in the ’90s) and it always seemed a much more natural King’s Landing than Malta. And no place anyone has ever shot anything looks like those vistas in Iceland. Outstanding.

99. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Can a mod please delete my third comment ? It appears i double posted by mistake .

100. Alan
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Kroket:

It honestly won’t be that weird to come back to Dorne with everyone acquainted. If anything, showing one scene would actually feel more odd than none, since it would imply something more will happen to the viewer.

Either way, though, it doesn’t matter. Aimee Richardson isn’t in this season. Not a single Dornishman was listed in D&Ds new character list- even the ones actually in the first half of Storm. There’s no reason to think we’ll see Dorne and plenty of reason not to.

101. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Chris,

There is only one show that made Vancouver look good. And that was The X Files. Not hard to comment that the show never recovered fully from moving the production to LA.

102. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Until Dorne not being in season 3 is fully confirmed we can talk about Dorne as much as we like. The discussion on it has been nothing but civil why take away our musings? Who cares if anyone mentions it?

103. Ricardo Baptista
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Totally unrelated:
    there’s a pond just like that one here in Portugal.

104. lostnorthern
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Holy shit that place is GORGEOUS thanks for the link XD

105. Nick Larter
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I like the idea of Dorne being introduced early, but I’d be surprised if it happened, as I think some of the big name Dornish characters would then have featured in the new for S3 list that D&D released a while back.

That said, you could maybe just do one scene between Myrcella and Trystane chatting in the Gardens, maybe recapping the backstory of the animosity between their families. Would also enable us to get a little inside Mycella’s head; she’s been a total cypher so far in both the books and the show. Knowing what she thinks about a few things would be cool!

106. Vanderhook
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I don’t see Dorne happening at all in this next season. It might be possible in season 4, but definitely not this season.

The characters in Dorne have nothing to do until Oberyn dies, which happens towards the end of Storm of Swords. The only things I can think of that they would show before that event are Mycella’s arrival, and a scene showing the romance between Arianne and Ser Aerys Oakheart. And even if they do show an Arianne/Aerys scene, they wouldn’t be able to talk about crowning Myrcella as Joffrey wouldn’t be dead yet. This is only what, two scenes? It’s just not practical to cast new characters and possibly have a new shooting locale for only two scenes.

I suppose it’s possible that they could throw in a few scenes with Quentyn and have him and Doran speak about sending him to Daenerys, and then show him leaving, maybe even have a scene with Doran and Oberyn, but I think that’d be a horrible idea. The interesting part about the Dorne storyline is wondering why Doran is acting so weak and not taking any action. Revealing Doran’s intentions before Doran reveals them to Arianne would be a very bad decision in my opinion.

107. Alan
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

Who are you responding to?

108. Macha
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Ricardo Baptista,
    Portugal is a gorgeous country! I’m looking forward to going back there if only to drive along the coastline. I have no idea why it tends to be so highly overlook when shooting on location, perhaps because the fees are smaller in Spain? Anyway, incidentally, the castle at Ferragudo always screamed Dorne to me. :) http://imageseu.holiday-rentals.co.uk/vd2/files/HR/400×300/9g/1022788/426520_1294660194641.jpg
    But now with Croatia and Morocco both on the agenda, I highly doubt we’ll see a new location for Dorne in future seasons.

109. Baramos
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

It does look very much like a water gardens location.

Or maybe it will be some kind of fountain in the courtyard of Riverrun? Or maybe a square in White Harbor? Something aquatic, anyway.

110. Cavegirl
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Sorry, don’t know where else to post this.

It’s from the Game of Thrones talk from Collectormania Milton Keynes, Saturday 2nd of June with Jason Momoa, Josef Altin and Finn Jones

111. Balerion
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Where is Ramsay

112. Kael of the Lake
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic place Macha, I haven’t seen anything more Dornish than that!
    Now I only wish there was a way D&D learned about it.

113. Cary Bass
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Baramos:

I think it could quite possibly be a reinterpretation of Riverrun, although it does not quite fit what I imagine Riverrun from my (now quite past) reading of ASoS

114. Langkard
    Posted July 5, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Nick Larter:
    I’ve been to Plitvice

- there are a few spots you could go to with a crew that wouldn’t do damage – the bit behind the hotel where the Jurassic-Park style buses stop; the main cafe area on the big lake; the clifftop with the views overlooking the southernmost lakes.Surely the bigger issue would be the considerable loss of tourist revenue during the season, if bits got closed for a week?

Part of the problem would be that Plitvice Lakes is a Unesco World Heritage site. Imagine the bureaucratic nightmare involved in trying to get permits to film there. Not just from the government of Croatia, as a national park, but also through the UN? As much as I’d love to see it as a location, there just is no way it would happen.

115. HouseLark
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 4:20 am | Permalink

Langkard: Part of the problem would be that Plitvice Lakes is a Unesco World Heritage site.Imagine the bureaucratic nightmare involved in trying to get permits to film there.Not just from the government of Croatia, as a national park, but also through the UN?As much as I’d love to see it as a location, there just is no way it would happen.

Filming takes place at World Heritage sites all the time, both documentaries and films/TV shows. There’s really strict conditions which the GoT production might not be happy with but it is possible.

I think Nick’s right about the loss of tourism being the major problem. It’s a hugely popular place so they’d have to weigh up the costs of shutting large areas of the place for a week versus the increased revenue and interest that would be generate by appearing in GoT.

Macha,

That place is amazing for Dorne. The only issue is the cost of adding another location to the GoT world tour.

116. Biscotti
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 5:03 am | Permalink

I wonder if the lack of announcements relating to casting has anything to do with the bush head. Maybe HBO don’t want Dave and Dan to have so much contact with fans and the media until HBO decides it wants to give information out.

117. Carne
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I e-mailed Ian McElhinney’s agent, and she replied with:

“Yes he is but does not start filming until September 2012.”

So I assume they’ll film in Morocco around September as well.

118. Alma
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Same here, crap.

Jonathan:

119. jabso
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Baramos,

Riverrun was what I first thought. Maybe a bit too leafy but it could easily be riverrun. Water gardens won’t be in season 3.

120. liam
    Posted August 21, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Ummm definitely not dorne. The water gardens would be much more beautiful Although prince obdryn should join into the storm of swords for season three I believe it could be for one of the maritime cities. Or kings landing.