NI press reports from the set of Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Press.

Yesterday, a batch of Northern Ireland press were given access to the set of Game of Thrones. The scene being filmed was a Brienne and Jaime scene shot at Shane’s Castle. Here are some interesting snippets from their reports:

UTV

“We’ve been able to find an incredible variety of locations,” Frank Doelger, one of the executive producers of the series, told UTV.

“The weather is definitely a challenge, but I have to let you know that we’ve been rained out in Malta, we’ve been rained out in Croatia, we’ve been snowed out in Iceland.

“So all the other areas that we’ve gone to have been challenging as well.”

NI 2012 Blog

Executive Producer, Frank Doelger explained that during filming on Season 3, the crew would spend 140 days shooting in Northern Ireland with the production also taking in locations in Iceland, Morocco, and Croatia purely because authentic snow-capped mountains and deserts are not features of our landscape and the crew need to capture all the worlds in which the characters live. Frank discussed that 80% of the filming would take place in the Belfast based studios however confirmed that filming will be taking in locations across all 6 counties in Northern Ireland.

BBC News Northern Ireland (with video)

The Northern Ireland scenery has a starring role in the production.

Naomi Liston from Edinburgh is a locations manager and even after scouting for exteriors for three series says they have only just scratched the surface of possibilities. “One of our methods is to get lost for a day, go down country roads and suddenly find fantastic vistas or a tumble-down old mill we can use.”

News Letter

I watched five takes of the short scene – to appear in the second episode of the new series – between Knight Brienne of Tarth and Jaime Lannister.

Without giving too much away, the scene is part of Brienne’s mission to escort Jaime back to his family at King’s Landing for Lady Catelyn Stark. She believes the Lannister family – who include the mother of the young King Joffrey – hold her two daughters captive and hopes to get them back in exchange for Jaime.

Brienne is far from your standard knight – firstly, she is a woman – but she has emerged as one of the most interesting characters since being introduced in series two.

The production team film for around 12 hours each day, which amounts to around roughly four minutes of footage.

Update: IFTN has published a long and detailed set report with some new info. Most interesting is the section where they reveal some future filming locations.

IFTN can also exclusively reveal season three will move production to Redhall Estate next week, a privately-owned country house located in Carrickfergus in Antrim. Production will then move to the Quoile Pondage Nature Reserve in Downpatrick which is situated on either side of the River Quoile. The set designers are currently building a jetty for these scenes, which has been described as “quite tricky and hard-going”, as a boat of light will be used for the scenes.

Winter Is Coming: Observant readers may note that the BBC report says that there will be a fourth series. While I think we can all agree that a fourth season is very likely, the BBC doesn’t know anything more than we do. It’s not confirmed until we hear it directly from HBO and that won’t happen until after season three begins airing.

1. Durkadurka
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 7:56 am | Permalink

First and foremost.

2. quorin halfhand
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Yeaaa buddy. Cant wait to see braime scenes

3. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Will probably hear confirmation on season 4 within a week of the first episode shattering ratings and viewer numbers.

4. Abyss
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

OT: According to serienjunkies.de (german website) Jason Momoa, Maisie Williams and Iain Glen will be at RingCon 2012 in Bonn. Hoping for some interviews!

5. Stefan Langmann
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Abyss,

Seems there are even more GoT actors there this year: Star Guests at RingCon 2012

Iain Glen, Finn Jones, Maisie Williams, Miltos Yerolemou, Roxanne McKee, Joe Dempsie, Natalia Tena

cool, cool, cool

6. Macha
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Northern Ireland is stunning, and how cool is the fact that our first real glimpse of the season consists of NCW and Gwendoline Christie? I love them to bits. Now all we need is Vargo, muhaha.

7. Kelly
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYECa-VxVg&feature=plcp video from UTV, not great but best I could do at a few minutes notice. @lilmissrenner

8. serum
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Kelly,

thats amazing kelly, thanks for posting that link!!!!!

Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Updated the post with a new report from News Letter plus the official UTV video.

10. Kelly
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

serum,

You are welcome :^) as I said not great quality but im sure there are GoT fans who want to see it :^)

11. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I would have to think the BBC knows more about HBO’s plans than HBO does. They are the BBC after all.

BBC 1!
    BBC 2!
    BBC 3!
    BBC 4!
    BBC 5!
    BBC 6!
    BBC 7!
    BBC Heaven!

12. blackbird7309
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

So my end of the world is not the only one where summer is a great disappointment. What a relief :D
    If I remember it correctly, there was a lot of rain in book 3. So everything is working in our favour, isn´t it?

13. The Rabbit
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink
  14. Winterdark
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

In the shot where Brienne and Jiame are walking across the bridge you can clearly see Jaime still has two hands so the hand chop won’t occur untill at least ep3 though I think it’ll probably be in ep 4 or 5

15. sjwenings
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

In the clip: “I think George is writing very quickly, so…” ROFL!!

16. Al Swearengen
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Are the Emmy noms out yet ?

17. Balerion
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Nice reports but i am waiting for Ramsay Bolton to be announced.

18. Mimsy
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Jaime’s mega sigh and sit down made me, lol. Ah! I can’t wait to see this bickering duo in action!

Kelly.. thanks for the video! Brienne looks like such a lady knight with that umbrella. :)

19. KG
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

The one article states there was sword-swinging during the filming they saw. The start of the all-star battle? There’s even water for them to tumble into.

20. Abyss
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Access Hollywood did interviews with Rose Leslie, Emilia Clarke and Michelle Fairley at Comic-Con. They talk about season 3, so there are little spoilers.

21. Michel
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

That means we’ll met our Vargo soon and even if it’s possible characters like Shagwell, Utt and Timeon..I hope the actors of Rorge and Biter would come back..but my guess we will only see Vargo, Qyburn and possibly Rorge and Biter talking, the rest will be extras with no seepch

22. OtherAndrew
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

“The set designers are currently building a jetty for these scenes, which has been described as “quite tricky and hard-going”, as a boat of light will be used for the scenes.”

What is a boat of light?

23. serum
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

OtherAndrew,

I think they literally mean a boat meant for lighting purposes so the lights will be in the water on the boat which is facing land where the “scene” is being filmed, not sure but thats my guess.

24. Udi
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Write George, write like the wind!
    And if thar’ be wind n’ rain, Lo! Big umbrella will produce Ser Brienne! (M’Lady)

25. Otia Dant Vitia
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink
  26. Nick Larter
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

serum:
    OtherAndrew,

Hoster’s funeral?

27. MATTHEW
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Macha: I still can’t get over the fact they’re actually filming season 3. Time sure does fly.P>

I wish it would fly a little faster!!!! I want my season 3.

28. Nick Larter
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    very curious about this location:
    Riverrun?

I’m guessing that it might be for Hoster’s funeral Rabbit, as they’re building a jetty. Also it’s interesting that the BBC report appears to have been updated to remove references to where they’re filming next week.

So for all local spies please take note that next week they’re filming at Quoile Pondage on the edge of Downpatrick and at the Redhall Estate (another private wedding venue) near Ballycarry just off the A2.

29. Nick Larter
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Nick Larter: Also it’s interesting that the BBC report appears to have been updated to remove references to where they’re filming next week.

Correction it wasn’t – it was in the IFTN report here - misremembered the source.

30. The Rabbit
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Nick Larter,

Yeah. Same thought. Hoster s funeral first came to mind.

Redhall estate – I think they filmed there in S1 – not sure though.

31. The Rabbit
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Mistery solved: http://winteriscoming.net/2010/09/day-39-filming-in-ballycarry/

We are back at Crossroads Inn!

32. serum
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Nick Larter,

oh good call, we know hoster isnt getting cast but they could surely show a funeral for him, good thinking!!!!

Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Updated the posts again to include the report from IFTN. Hoster’s funeral is the first thing that came to mind for me as well.

34. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Reading these lovely updates certainly makes a woman happy! Thanks so much for posting all of these, helps pass the time till next April. A woman is in agreement that Hoster’s funeral will probably be shown, not the visit of Cat beforehand as that wouldn’t really contribute that much to the story. Then her brother becomes Lord of Riverrun. Can’t wait to see the sets for Riverrun!

35. serum
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

hey winter, will you be doing a cast page for those confirmed for season three like you did for seasons one and two? I think that was great for previous seasons and would love to see it for the third season additions!

36. Kelly
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

This is about 2 minutes away from my house!! I will so be taking a walk down to see whats happening, doubt i’ll be able to get anywhere near buts its worth a try! They will be lucky though depending where they are planning on filming, with all the rain lately most of it is more than likely flooded! Will take a look tomorrow and see where abouts they are and post back anything of interest :)

37. Kelly
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Kelly,

There is a old castle there too, if u go to my twitter @lilmissrenner i’m just about to post some pics. I’m sure they will be using that.

38. Valyrian
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Not really relevant to the content, but the writing in that BBC article is just AWFUL. It seems as if they just threw the lines one after the other like morse code. Ew. And I thought they seemed a bit too casual meantioning the fourth season, but ah weel, we’ll have to wait (as usual).

39. Sleeve
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

I believe news report meant knight brienne of tarth and ser Jaime lannister the kingslayer.stannis prefers you call him what he is.

40. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Elijah Wood for Ramsay Bolton! …well, not really, but given his work in the LotR trilogy and especially Sin City, he’s a choice I could get behind 100%.

41. Kelly
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

I know now exactly where they are shooting, its just beside the castle. Jetty being built as we speak! Will take a walk down tomorrow see it i can get you some pics :^)

Posted July 18, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

serum, of course! I just need to find some time to set it up. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

Kelly, nice! Just be careful as security can be pretty strict, from what I hear. Don’t want you getting in any trouble. Even if you can’t get photos, we would happily take a first-hand description of the shoot. Good luck!

43. 3eyes
    Posted July 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Thanks for posting. Nuff respect to Mr. Nameless for the creepy display.

44. goober
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

i wish i was in carrickfergus

45. Kelly
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 8:07 am | Permalink

I got a pic!!!!!!!! Got told of too lol. Not sure if i should post it or not I might get into trouble! They are still building the jetty, they have a boat which i got in my pic. Loads of trucks and people walking about. Where they are shooting is right down the end of the lane and when they start they will have the whole place closed off ,probably won’t be able to get anywhere near. I’m surprised we got so close today, they had a sign up that we accidentally on purpose didnt see but that was it. Let me know someone if i should post this or not.

46. Siniša Grimjaur Šiško
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Don’t know if this has been already reported, but there seems to be some trouble brewing in Croatia. The Government, despite introducing a law that gives 20% return funds for any filming project on the territory of Croatia, hasn’t done so for last year’s filming in and around Dubrovnik. HBO should get around 537.000 Eur (4mil Kuna) in tax refunds, however there’s not a mention of it in Ministry of Culture’s plan for this fiscal year. HBO has threatened to abandon plans for filming in Croatia if it isn’t refunded. However, Minister of Entrepreneurship and Crafts has stepped in and said that there will be a solution for this (although it isn’t his field of work).
    Here’s an article in Croatian:

47. serum
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Kelly,

I would love to see it but have no idea if you would get into trouble or not. My line of thinking is that if you were gonna get into trouble for taking the pic then you would already be in said trouble, if your at home I would say your good to go, thats just my opinion!

p.s. thanks winter!

48. Kelly
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

serum,

I’ve got 2 now, got a close up of the boat. Gonna try go down at the weekend when they aren’t there to get a closer look at things. Still not sure if I should post or not a few people have told me not to, will have a think about it.

49. serum
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Kelly,

hahahaha, way to go Kelly, thats awesome, I wish I lived in Ireland cause I would love to sneak around in the woods near the set trying to get pics, sounds like a great time!

50. Mimsy
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Kelly,

You can email a picture to Winter Is Coming and ask for their feedback on whether or not you should post the pic. This site is careful with what they post and will go so far as getting permission from HBO before they post certain pics or videos.

51. Kelly
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Mimsy,

Thanks Mimsy, I’ve just done that. So will wait to see what they say.

52. TheNorseWolf
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Any words on whether Nikolaj will change his appearance for this season? and by that i mean in the hair category, cause i cant wait for that.. hes gonna look so badass

53. Delta1212
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

TheNorseWolf,

Honestly, I wouldn’t count on it. I was a bit surprised and quite impressed when Maisie actually cut her hair short, of course, but there is a difference between getting a new haircut and going the full Bryan Cranston.

54. Knurk
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

TheNorseWolf:

Delta1212:
    TheNorseWolf,

it would be pretty lame if a 14-year old girl is sacrificing her hair and NCW wouldn’t do it. Anyway, it isn’t vital to the plot but it would be a nice gimmick. He doesn’t need to go entirely bold but he looks just as awesome with short hair: http://img.poptower.com/pic-54227/nikolaj-coster-waldau.jpg?d=1024 .

55. TheNorseWolf
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Hell yes! that plus the beard = awesomeeee! jaime goes max payne 3 ^^

56. John Pearl
    Posted July 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Siniša Grimjaur Šiško:
    Here’s an article in Croatian:

Have to say it’s definitely worth it for these countries to offer financial incentives for filming. Although I know a little bit about Ireland, this makes certain locations around the countryside desirable locations for future travels–I’d love to rent a car and do an Irish roadtrip in the near future. As for Croatia, I’d never heard of Dubrovnik before Game of Thrones, but now I seem to see it everywhere. Which is probably b/c I’m more aware of the name and can recognize it.

But the recognition factor for these locations is definitely much higher after the show has filmed there.

1. [...] z 3. sezonem dopiero 31 marca, ale produkcja już się rozpoczęła. Media z Irlandii Północnej dostały dostęp do planu serialu. Efektem jest nagranie jednej z lokalnych stacji, UTV, w którym widzimy krótki [...]