Compilation of the house and character theme music in Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Production.

I feel like Ramin Djawadi’s music doesn’t get enough praise around here, probably because I myself am not a huge music and soundtrack buff. So when I saw this video by YouTube user Linakes that compiles the various musical themes and motifs used by Djawadi for the different characters and houses in Game of Thrones, I was blown away. I knew that there were subtle themes woven throughout and had even picked up on a few of the more obvious ones, but seeing everything compiled like this really heightens ones appreciation for the attention to detail. The video is over 30 minutes long but well worth a watch.

Winter Is Coming: My favorite themes are the ones for Jaqen and Theon/House Greyjoy. What about you?

1. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Firsties AGAIN! Woo Hoo! A woman loves these also! And bought the S2 Soundtrack! The first ST purchased in many years. Thanks for posting this video, it brings back many wonderful memories of S2 in a condensed way, and is lovely listening by itself also. Let’s hope Djawadi gets some recognition industry-wide for his excellent work this season. A woman is hard pressed to pick one favorite out of all, they’re ALL so good. Maybe Theon’s drowning theme?

2. Kid
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

How so.. Ramin Jawadi’s work is awesome! It is known. =)

But tnx for a chance to say that.

3. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I remember when before the first season aired, we had another composer then he left. And Ramin came aboard and everyone was like chicken little and “ramin who?”… haha :)

4. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

You are on a roll Today!
    WHere’s the Jackass who a few weeks back was so irked that people call firsties on this site, would love to see his face the last few days.

Mmmm I am defintely downloading this unto my mp3. Should make for some awesome listening material while reading the books.

5. sjwenings
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Several great ones, to be sure. But I suppose my favorite theme is still the Stark one. So beautiful – both majestic and tragic. It just fits the family and their story so well.

6. Two Feathers
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:
    A woman loves these also! And bought the S2 Soundtrack!

Do you have Jaqen`s theme as your ring tone…:)

7. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne:

Wasn’t he the composer for the Prison Break tv show and Iron Man ? I thought he would be pretty popular . Also who was supposed to be the other composer ?

8. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

You are on a roll Today!

A woman is grateful for Your Grace’s kind words. Soooo love this music! Can’t you just hear Mathos yelling “Druuuuuuuums” during the Wildfire theme?

9. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers: Do you have Jaqen`s theme as your ring tone…:)

A woman had not thought to do that yet, but will ponder that! Jaqen already has “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love” by Bad Company, though he really is GOOD company! Perhaps when that theme becomes tired, a change will come. The GoT theme has been assigned to the family financial advisor, apropos?

10. B Cogman
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

This is very cool. Thanks for posting. My favorite theme continues to be House Stark…

11. The Young Wolf
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

My favourites are: Stannis’ “Warrior Of Light”, Stark’s “Goodbye Brother” (the song was playing as Robb & Catelyn vow to kill them all in S1 E10), and Theon’s “Pay The Iron Price”.

Pay The Iron Price gives me the chills.

12. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

B Cogman:
    This is very cool.Thanks for posting.My favorite theme continues to be House Stark…

A woman is torn between Jaqen’s (Valar Morghulis), Stark’s (GoodBye Brother) and Theon’s (What Is Dead May Never Die), but thankfully doesn’t really have to choose! Nice to see you back Ser!

13. Andrew
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Love soundtracks! I certainly enjoy classical music, but film scores are where my heart really lies as far as orchestral music goes. I think the GoT soundtrack is so effective because aside from Roberts entrance, it never really tries to be the focus. It’s a bit more subconscious than something like Lord of the Rings – which is not a knock against Howard Shore, he’s amazing. Just a different approach and I think it really works on the show.

14. Macha
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Goodbye Brother, Warrior of Light and What is Dead May Never Die are my favourites but nothing beats this season’s rendition of The Rains of Castamere, I must have listened to it about 30 times now and it still gives me the chills.

15. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink
  16. John
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:

I have to agree,the House Greyjoy theme is my fav,followed by the Valar Morghulis theme

17. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Aegon conquered the Seven Kingdoms by first stopping in Oldtown to win over much of the populace of the Seven Kingdoms through the support of the maesters and the Faith of the Seven.
    Seeing as there aren’t an abundance of either Maesters or Septons/Septa’s I might as well get the Lorathi on my side before I take over WIC.net, hahaha. You are most welcome.

Back on topic. Ramin Jawadi really deserves more love in terms of the fans, the outdated Emmy board or whatever you call them and publicity. Would love to see a promotional feature about the music of season 3 before it airs.

18. Macha
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror: Would love to see a promotional feature about the music of season 3 before it airs.

Or perhaps a WiC interview if possible? It would make such a delightful read.

19. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Macha: Or perhaps a WiC interview if possible? It would make such a delightful read.

A woman SECONDS your suggestion! An interview for the GoT fans with Djawadi (exclusive? YES!) would be truly epic. And maybe a WiC poll with at least 10 choices for favorite theme from both seasons? Ahhhh, the possibilities!

20. Red Viper
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Love Mother of Dragons and House of the Undying. Also love Kill them All. Let’s hope we get some lightning lord themes for season 3. Lord Beric ftw

21. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Haha I suppose if Littlefinger had a theme financial adviser ringtone would chance?

22. Two Feathers
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

B Cogman:

With you there Mr C. Stark theme is my favourite. Although I am Stark biased. Nice to here from you. Also like the middle eastern flavour of Dany`s themes.

23. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Macha,

While we are dreaming why not dream big?

Simone I pray you read this!!!!

Why not a Daily Raven video interview? I have no idea what the guys looks or sounds like.

24. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Quick question

Is B Cogman the actual Brian Cogman keeper and author of the GoT bible? If so Im gonna flip since he is far and gone the coolest person to work on GoT with the most fascinating job!

25. Macha
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror,

You’d better start flippin’. ;)

26. serum
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

AMAZING!!!!!

27. Raul
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

IMO the Stark theme is just wonderful. So nice and with a simple change of tone and instruments it gets so sad. “The little lords have suffered enough” and then in begins.

28. Two Feathers
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Two Feathers,

Quick question

Yes, Your Grace one in the same. Flip away.

Edit. Quick draw Macha beat me to it.

29. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Macha,

And my roommate just yelled at me to “shut the fuck up!” haha seeing as he isn’t a Game of Thrones fan this is gonna be hard to explain.

Mr Cogman if you are reading this I am a huge fan! And would just like to say I think you have the coolest job in world and I appreciate your work very much! You are living the dream good Ser! Thank you for what you do!

30. John
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

wow,this is amazing version of The Rains of Castamere -

31. paylor
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I love the House Stark theme, even though it makes me feel depressed. Sigh. Just a little happiness for them, please? When I first heard the Robert Baratheon’s theme the first time he appeared at Winterfell, I didn’t like it. I still don’t really. It just sounds cheesy to me. I do love Stannis Baratheon’s “Warrior of Light.” It feels truly ominous. I like Danaerys theme as well. It feels ancient and mysterious, and then when it breaks out into a chorus at the end of Season 1 tied with the theme song – truly epic.

32. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

paylor,

Word of advice, Dont play the RPG. Whenever you are in the throne room the intro of the scene plays over and over again.

33. Alexvsu95
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Goodbye brother and dont die with the clean sword the best!

34. 3eyes
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

It was a glimpse the closing scene of S1 and the finale music which first pulled me into the GoT universe. After listening to this compilation, the finale still stands out for me. It is way past time for Ramin Djawadi to get some love from the fans as well as his peers.

35. OldGran
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I like the Jon’s Honor theme when it’s blended with GOT and Stark. But I hope we get to see Sansa build her snow castle and we hear the Winterfell theme. I know they can do that scene perfectly.

36. Tereeza777
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Googled Ramin as soon as the first episode of Season 1 ended. Found out that he is of Iranian and German descent and was mentored by Hans Zimmer (“Gladiator” and everything else) and Klaus Badelt (“Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl”). Hans and Klaus chose their student wisely.

There was a beautiful Middle Eastern sound in several of the tracks from Season 1, as well as from Season 2. What is so unusual is that there are so many distinctive themes on his soundtracks. And, just as a side note, Ramin is so handsome, that he could easily be playing a part in Game of Thrones. My Season 2 favorites are: Valar Morghulis (Jaqen’s theme); What is Dead May Never Die (Theon’s theme); Warrior of Light (Stannis’ theme) and I am Hers, She is Mine (Robb & Talisa; Tyrion & Shae).

My belly dance class danced to “The Pointy End” last year and we are now working on a new routine to “Valar Morghulis”. Best music ever!

37. Elsweyr
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Never liked the Greyjoys in the books (well, Asha’s ok), but I’m opining they have the most epic musical theme.

Also, is it just me or for Jaqen’s music the same instruments as used for Syrio in the first season? More martial, but sounds like the same instruments. Maybe a Braavos leitmotif we’ll see a few more times.

38. Seriano
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

I didn’t listen to any of the music from the shows which were nominated for an Emmy of Outstanding Score, but I really think that Djawadi’s work on “Blackwater” should get some awards recognition.

Overall, the episode was great but the score was just amazing. It conveyed drama, suspense and action in a masterful way.

39. The Greatsteve
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Stannis and Theon’s tracks are the most dramatic. (Especially the chilling ‘Pay The Iron Price’) The Stark tracks are definitely the most tragic.. appropriately so. Money down on that theme following the Red Wedding.. Speaking of that awful event.. dreading the ‘Rains Of Castemere’ there too.

40. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne:
    Claudiu Gherganu,

comments are funny in hindsight :)

Yeah, well i can’t imagine the show without the theme that Djawadi composed now so i’m glad that the other guy got replaced . Also some people are really fucking stupid unfortunately

41. SoapNickTavish
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

It’s tough to pick just one, the Stark songs are all beautiful.

Think I have to go with Warrior of Light though. So foreboding. So badass.

42. Mimsy
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Winterfell slays me! If I had to name a favorite, that would be mine and Valar Morghulis would be my second.

Now I’m thinking about the Season 3 soundtrack! What will House Tully sound like?? What kind of music is going to belong to Ramsay.. creepy or dark? I can’t wait!

43. Richard
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

WARRIOR OF LIGHT for the win, although there are versions of it on the show itself that aren’t on the soundtrack that I like better.

44. Patchy Face
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

So addicted to this music – listen it to constantly whenever on a plane. Love Daenerys and Greyjoy themes but all is great! Still – I would say that the Jaquen theme is really Arya’s…seems that ssme from S1 was with the Waterdancer lessons.

45. zombiecow
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Hodor needs a theme. I so wanna hear that.

46. H
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Elsweyr,

Thought of that too. It sounds slightly similar too “The Pointy End” (the music during Arya’s first sword lesson with Syrio)

47. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

paylor,

ah the Robert B music is awesome. Sorry you feel that way! It’s sort of the King’s Landing theme. There is a malevolent version heard at the end of episode I season 2 as the bastards are getting killed. Not to mention the great hints of it in the Wildfire track.

48. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Warrior is light is fantastic music. I think that’s what made me really connect emotionally with the Stannis/Melisandre scenes. I hope it’s actually the Azor Ahai theme. My favorite embryonic theme has to be the cello/harpischordish Tyrell theme first heard in “what is dead may never die”. I hope it returns with the QoT and the Tyrells in general.

Also absent from the score the amazing Lannister/Rains of Castamere melody that plays during the Harrehal scene in| A Man without Honour”

49. Joshua Taylor
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

John,

That is very awesome. But this takes the cake. You can download the song with the link provided as well!

50. Dreamlife
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

One of my gripes with the show is the music. While I think the main song that plays during the opening title sequence is one of the best musical creations period, the rest of the soundtrack doesn’t work for me. There is a lot of repetition, particularly from the main GoT song, in the character themes. Also, in the TV show, I found the music to either be distracting…(ex: when Jon and Ned see each other for the last time I thought the music was too melodramatic) or oddly lacking (Stannis sailing…I remember the lack of music or background sounds was weird. There should have been water splashing, men shouting, etc.)

Interestingly, listening to these songs away from the show, I appreciate them much more.

51. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    John,

Beautiful! A woman thanks you for posting the link, it will be revisited often.

52. The Instrumentalist
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

The Greyjoy theme is haunting, but my personal favourites are the ones for Stannis – especially “The Warrior of Light”. I listen to it all the time. :)

53. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

That would depend. It would have to be vigorous and loud enough to be heard through life’s din while in the phone is in pocket of this woman. So maybe. Good thought though!

54. Michel
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Winterfell (the best), The Throne Is Mine, What Is Dead May Never Die, Valar Morghulis, The Rains of Castamere, I Will Keep You Safe IMO are the bests.

55. andrea
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Wic, this was really nice, all of them, thanks (I have trouble paying attention to music while watching).
    The first time I heard that voice in Rains of Castamere I thought it was Stuart Staples (Tindersticks) because I didn´t know anything about The Nationals. Voices and performances like this are a great pleasure.

56. Rygar
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you for posting this.

Joshua Taylor:
    John,

57. Joshua Atreides
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Love this thread. As a film score enthusiast this series has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard on television. It has the tapestry like complexity and ethnic diversity of Bear McCreary (BSG) and Trevor Morris (Tudors, Borgias) the epic and romantic sweep of Abrams show maestros Michael Giacchino (Lost) and Chris Tilton (Fringe).

Whilst Djawadi was an acolyte of Zimmer and Baudelt, I see other influences besides those bombastic maesters of synth. In action pieces like The Throne is Mine (a malevolent version of King Robert’s march from season 1) of the Blackwater selections I hear the brassy but beautiful pomposity of Basil Poledouris (Conan the Barbarian) It could also be a Miklos Rosza the king of epic history scores as well. With Winterfell or Stark components I hear the soaring sweeping epic romanticism (and melancholy) of John Barry’s best works (The Lion in Winter, Mary Queen of Scots. With tracks like Warrior of Light in particular the Stannis and Melisandre motifs the powerful forbidding mystique that Howard Shore brought to the LOTR films comes to mind. With Melisandre quieter emotive rendition we get ancient forbidding power resonating in the darkness. With Stannis the theme becomes stronger, changing as the character changes. His theme is simplistic yet noble, harsh and relentless like the man himself.

With the Iron Islanders, Djwadi pays tribute to his mentors with soaring orchestra and synth as well as the presentation of the main theme at the crossing of the Twins.

At the heart of the matter is the leitmotif, the use of recurring characters, locations and overarching themes. John Williams the maestro himself brought this to the forefront with his complex Star Wars scores and Howard Shore continued this tradition with the LOTR films. The Rains of Castamere aka the Lannister theme is such a piece and is very Williams like something akin to the Imperial march or the Sith theme. The best rendition of the theme occurs in ep 7 season 2 with that pan up of Harrenhal leading up to Tywin’s vantagepoint.

The Ethnic Middle eastern cues derivative of the modern epic so exemplified today is what comes to mind when I hear the Danerys’ three note motif. It is soft and diminutive like Dany herself but soon grows to epic proportions.

58. loco73
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 1:18 am | Permalink

I was never that enthused about Ramin Djawadi. I like his music and he did a good job on both Season One and Two. I still think that we could have done better in the music department. Bear McCreary is one regret I have when it comes to GoT, I really wished we had gotten him. If not him then Harry Gregson-Williams who compossed the wonderful soundtrack for “Kingdom Of Heaven”, or Jeff Beal who did outstanding work on both “Carnivale” and “ROME”.

But anywho, Ramin Djawadi is now the composer for “Game Of Thrones”, and even I sincerely hope that he sticks with the show for the duration…changing him would be a mistake, now that he has moulded the musical flavour of the series.

My favourite theme is the House Stark theme, which appears on three different ocassions on the Season One disc (‘”Good-bye Brother”, “Kill Them All” and “The King In The North”). On the Season Two disc the “Winterfell” track ranks as one of my faves. I like all the themes that deal with The Wall and beyond, the Night’s Watch and Jon Snow. My other favourite theme is the Targaryen one, dealing with Dany and her dragons, that is a rousing, epic tune. I have to also mention “The Rains Of Castamere” as interpreted by The National. It was a singularly well inspired choice and The National did a wonderful job with a hauntingly beautiful rendition.

PS It was pretty funny seeing Lord Peter “Littlefinger” Baylish as a CIA Agent in “The Dark Knight Rises”, then our own Tyrion Lannister as the voice of the monkey pirate (hey the irony…he’s called a monkey-demon in GoT) in “Ice Age: Continental Drift.

PPS It was also cool to find out that our newly minted ser Brynden “Blackfish” Tully AKA Clive Russel has had a brush withy HBO before, playing a blood-curling Gestapo officer in their movie “Fatherland” alongside Rutger Hauer and Miranda Richardson, in the adaptation of Robert Harris’s alternate-history novel by the same name. Watch it if you get the chance, it is a quite chilling, strange little movie back when HBO was just breaking out with original programming.

Posted July 25, 2012 at 2:30 am | Permalink

My favourite is the Stannis theme, “Warrior of Light”.

Second favourite is probably Theon’s theme.

60. Lindsay Doran
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Hey guys!

Glad you’re enjoying my video :) I was wondering why the view and comment rate took a sudden jump! Would never have guessed WIC was behind it! AHH!

It was tons of fun to make, especially since listening to Ramin Djawadi’s score is always enjoyable. I guess I’ll have to add onto it after Season 3, eh?

61. Peter Jørgensen
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:00 am | Permalink

OMG “The Rains of of Castamere” is so GOOD! Who else can´t wait for the Red Wedding?

62. m3shwerks
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:23 am | Permalink

Great thread! Great video.

I love how the music/theme compliments the characters. The Stark theme is so sad and tragic (I teared up a bit). King Robert’s theme echoes his loud and boisterous personality. Theon’s “What is Dead May Never Die” is vigorous yet brooding. And Stannis’s theme is the most subdued.

My favorites are the Stannis’ “Warrior of Light” and the Stark theme. I also enjoy the Daenerys Finale mixed with the GoT theme.

63. ieiazel
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Lindsay Doran,

It is an amazing video, thank you!!

My favourites are What is Dead May Never Die and Pay de Iron Price.

64. Eleanor
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 5:43 am | Permalink

The tilted treble clefs for ‘S’ are a good touch. :)

65. Two Feathers
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror,

This comment is off topic , so therefore will no doubt be deleted by a jealous moderator, as happened elsewhere on this thread. So much for the WiC “relaxed moderation ” policy. It seems fun is for fools and you must stay inside the fences. This place ain`t what it used to be .

66. Patchy Face
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Lindsay Doran,

Great job! Thanks Lindsay!

67. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Two Feathers,

No posts in this thread have been deleted.

68. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Jap it’s still there. Somewhat off topic yes, but still on the music of the show. No intentional trolling here.

69. dizzy_34
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Lindsay Doran,

Kudos to you, it’s great.

70. dizzy_34
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Two Feathers:
    Aegon the Conqueror,

This comment is off topic , so therefore will no doubt be deleted by a jealous moderator, as happened elsewhere on this thread. So much for the WiC “relaxed moderation ” policy. It seems fun is for fools and you must stay inside the fences.This place ain`t what it used to be .

Since when did making an off topic post become off limits? Isn’t that how half the breaking news happens?

71. Tina
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

My favorites: Mother of Dragons, House of the Undying, and Jaquen’s Theme. Amazing!

Ramin does really great work!

Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Off topic comments are definitely not deleted, in fact, we encourage them. The only reason posts get deleted is if one of us feels it has gone too far with personal attacks or vulgarity. If a post of yours contained neither of those but is not showing up, it likely got caught in the spam filter. If this ever happens, feel free to drop us a line and we can fish it out. Or just wait and one of us will approve it soon, as we regularly check the spam filter for comments that were incorrectly marked as spam.

73. WompWomp
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

What is this embryonic Tyrell theme you speak of? Can you indicate which scene it’s playing in? I can’t seem to find it.

74. WompWomp
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Two Feathers:
    Aegon the Conqueror,

Silly Two Feathers. WiC is easily the most chill and even-handed of all the moderators. And for the record, the pun only came after the thought. Take your soap box somewhere else past the Doom.

75. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

This guy is an amazing composer. The Stark theme, “Goodbye Brother”, always gets me. I can just see Hodor pushing Bran in his little cart, while Winterfell burns in the background behind them.

76. Joshua Atreides
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

WompWomp,

Episode 3, the Margaery/Renly tent scene.

77. Hollyoak
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Speaking of music, here is the GoT theme played on something called a Stylophone:

78. Zack
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I am discovering an appreciation for the music of the show that I hadn’t felt previously.

Stannis’ thene in particular is really strong.

79. Peter
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I feel like I just watched the show all over again. Totally awesome music.

80. sjwenings
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t more than fairly content with the choice of Ramin at first. And he took some time to grow on me, but several of his themes are now “classics” in my ears, and connect so well with the characters. He might not be a genius, but he certainly knows what he’s doing.

The Theon and Stannis-themes were great additions this season, and the disharmonic versions of Theons theme for the “death” of the Stark boys and the Main theme for the WWs march, was simple but very effective. I’m really looking forward to hear what he comes up with for season 3. Especially for The Scene. I assume they’ll use two already existing themes (…) but hope and expect something new as well. It needs to be perfect.

81. Brujhah
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

My Favorites are…

Main Title
    Goodbye Brother
    Jon´s Honor
    Fire & Blood
    Finale
    Kill them All
    Winter Is Coming
    When the Sun Rises…
    Finale…

I´m a fan of ths Stark Music.

And to the second season too

I love Winterfell and The Rains of Caostamere…

82. SDGM
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I love the soundtracks so much. They really capture the spirits of the different houses. Ironically, the Stark tracks feel the warmest and I really like how the Greyjoy themes feel like a rising tide. The Iron Price makes me want to cry every time.

83. JonathanL
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I like to listen to soundtracks slowly, as in one track at a time, so I’m still working through Season 2. Djawadi’s work is often very subtle, so it takes some active listening, but yes, he has done some very underrated work on Thrones.

I especially like how the old theme of King Robert has gotten so dark under Joffrey’s reign.

84. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

My favourite rendition of the Bear and the Maiden Fair. Whenever I think of the scene with Sansa and the Queen of Thorns, I always imagine this song playing in the background “play it loud!”

85. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    Love this thread. As a film score enthusiast this series has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard on television. It has the tapestry like complexity and ethnic diversity of Bear McCreary (BSG) and Trevor Morris (Tudors, Borgias) the epic and romantic sweep of Abrams show maestros Michael Giacchino (Lost) and Chris Tilton (Fringe)…

…The very fact that all of these influences can be found in a television soundtrack lends evidence to the concept that we are in the age of the television novel where the narratives we now find on television are just as or more compelling than hollywood Feature films. Great scores like this are essential in the development of television as cinema.

Well written and a great summary. A woman thanks you for sharing it!

86. Anders The DarkWolf
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I love the Stark songs…. i also wanted to hear this song, is not related with the show nor a spoiler, so here’s the link http://youtu.be/t6VMSYIXCCY ….a man thinks that those who read the books will like it

87. sbj2k1
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait to see/hear the themes they give the Brotherhood, Tyrells, Martells, Golden Company, Boltons.

88. Two Feathers
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Firstly, a thousand humble apologies to the four moderators. I was mixing my threads and have no valid excuse for my comments. Foot in mouth and highly embarrassing. Brain in gear before using keyboard in future. Also , wrote jealous when I meant zealous.
    Anyone how knows me will know this is totally out of character for me. I am on some serious meds. just now so I perhaps this may have been a contributing factor.
    Once again sorry everyone.

89. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

I was wondering what was up, thought someone was hijacking your account. How is the injury healing btw?

90. Two Feathers
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Two Feathers,

I waswondering what was up, thought someone was hijacking your account. How is the injury healing btw?

Jeez dude I just realised today I have been a bit schitzo recently. I am sure my old lady is ready to do what Dany did to Drogo at the end. Definately coming off the diazapam. My Injury is still troubling me , and I have been getting a shit load off headaches. But I think another three or four weeks should see a big improvement. Thanks for asking. Think I will have a WiC sabbaticle for a while til I sort my shit out.

91. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Ah that sucks man, I remember when I got screws inserted into my busted shoulder what the pain meds did to me. So you definetly have symphathy and understanding from my side.
    That sucks, you will be missed. All I can say is “keep well, keep warm.”

92. Joshua Atreides
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

sbj2k1,

Season 2 episode 3 “What is dead may never die” : Tyrell theme =cello piece heard in the Renly/Margaery wedding night scene.

93. Ross
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

The two epic standouts for me are the season 1 finale and Pay the Iron Price.

I’m surprised the season 1 finale isn’t getting more love – that to me is such a haunting, beautiful and epic piece of music which fist the scene so perfectly well. Although it does remind me of Star Trek too for some reason :-)

94. Obsidian
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Lindsay Doran,

Great compilation, thanks. most enjoyable half hour of my day :)

I love the Stark theme in all it’s incarnations..and Valar Morghulis ..but there’s really nothing here I don’t like a lot ( Love in the eyes..mmmm.)..I too remember the panic when they announced Djawadi was coming in as a replacement..(tee hee) seems pretty silly , now.

95. scaragh
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

This is so cool! I love the music in the show, and can at times be a little overpowering and sentimental, I think it works.

I remember in one of Deadwood’s commentaries, and Keith Carradine pointed out one of his favorite aspects of Deadwood was it’s sparse use of music, since soundtracks are often used to coax a more emotional reaction from their audience. But the world of Westeros and the characters that inhabit it are so rich and varied, and I think Game of Thrones’ soundtrack is perfect for it.

That being said, the Stark theme is my favorite – ‘Winterfell’ is just the most heartbreakingly beautiful track.

96. Aleenys
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

It’s hard to pick a favourite, so many cool tracks.. though I thoroughly enjoyed Baratheon theme, Stark theme was melancholic and beautiful, Jaqen theme is very cool; I remember it putting a smile to my face along with the ending of E5. Daenerys theme (especially the dragon hatching one) is uplifting and pleasant as well.

97. Johan Sporre
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

It’s a great video, but too bad that it cuts off the Finale of season 1 just before it gets to its most epic point :)

My favourite theme would be the Stark theme. It’s so very sad and beautiful.
    My favourite track is the fantastic blend of Daenerys’ and the main theme that makes up the season 1 finale.

98. daprosinik
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

The season 1 score is great, the second one is even better. The problem with Remote Control productions is that you don’t really know who did the job since there are really an army of composers under Hans Zimmer supervision. Great job nevertheless.

99. Ross
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar’s Twin:
    A woman’s twin is very excited to listen to this compilation!! A woman’s twin’s favorite is the Stark theme followed by Jaqen’s theme.

They do say immitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess!

100. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar’s Twin,

Hmmm not to crazy about this, wonder what the actual Mrs H’ghars take will be.
    House Targeryen firmly supports the original.

101. Lindor
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Yeah, I regretted having to cut that part off :(

The reason I did was because at that point the Dany theme ends, and it’s taken over completely by the main theme. It’s such a great part of the soundtrack, though!

102. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Mrs. H’ghar’s Twin,

Hmmm not to crazy about this, wonder what the actual Mrs H’ghars take will be.
    House Targeryen firmly supports the original.

Your Grace is too kind. A woman has no actual twin, though my older brother actually has 2 sets! So they run in the family, but this one is not mine. Perhaps this person is miffed that a woman got to Jaqen before she did? One can only guess the motivation, so shall ignore the imposter.

103. Richard Valenzuela
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Warrior of Light is the bomb!!! Matches Stannis perfectly.

Posted July 27, 2012 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Get better soon, Feathers!
    Moderate amounts of the milk of the poppy are surely the best way to deal with it :)

105. Harry The Heir
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Good Bye Brother…… This makes a Hardyng want to convert to the starks!

106. Josla
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Oh! I love them all, seriously, but “King in the north” and “mother of dragons” are probably my faves, followed closed by “you’ll be queen one day” it’s so peaceful, and season 1′s “finale”

107. Lurenlei
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

First impression:
    Stark is Firefly, Lannister is Diablo, Baratheon is Uncharted, Daenerys is Rome, Greyjoy reminds of Requiem for a dream with the repetitive violins, Tywin is Pirates of the Carribbean .. and wierdly it all really fits together.
    Second season seems a lot more epic and cinematic than the first. Somehow don’t think the Greyjoys would have had quite as grandiose theme if they were in the first season.

The Stark theme hit me right in the chest, somehow echoing The Message and the end of Firefly. And then again in the “You’ll be Queen one day” part of Baratheon.

108. novichaso
    Posted August 10, 2012 at 12:03 am | Permalink

white walkers theme?

1. [...] Game of Thrones theme compilation. [...]

2. [...] each sound different, and really, it’s just an excuse to listen to more of this great music. (Winter is Coming) And now, T-Shirts You Gotta Buy…TODAY! (Before they’re gone.)(click images [...]

3. [...] for your viewing and listening pleasure. You’ll not watch GoT again the same way.Hat Tip: Winter is ComingShare this:Share on TumblrMore Pin ItRelated Posts:Winter is ComingCelebrity TV and the Cowell [...]