Preview of Inside HBO’s Game of Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

The official companion book for Game of Thrones, entitled Inside HBO’s Game of Thrones and authored by writer Bryan Cogman, is set to be published on Sept. 25. HBO has posted a preview video, giving fans an idea of what to expect in the book.

In addition, Entertainment Weekly has posted a sneak preview of the preface, written by George R. R. Martin, and a portion of the Dany chapter.

The book is to be published on Sept. 25 in the US and Sept. 27 in the UK. You can pre-order it now at Amazon or the HBO Shop.

Winter Is Coming: This looks like a nice addition to any fan’s Game of Thrones collection. The fantastic art alone would be worth it for me. The interviews and other behind-the-scenes tidbits are just icing on the cake.

1. Ash
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Número UNO!!!!!!!

2. B Cogman
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

AND I’ve already noticed a typo! “Thousands of years” instead of “hundreds”. Great.

3. Macha
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Definitely buying this. The amount of work that goes into this production is staggering!

4. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

B Cogman,

Can’t wait to get a copy of this, Mr Cogman you freakin rock!

5. darquemode
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

B Cogman,

Looks like another “must have” for my collection. Good work!
    Hmmm…. I wonder if my local book store will give me discount if I point out said typo…..

6. darquemode
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

This has been on my Amazon wish list since they started accepting pre-orders…. I’m thinking it’s nice Xmas gift material.

Is it odd I no longer feel even the slightly bit odd basically buying other people’s Xmas gifts for myself?
    After all, why not? I deserve it! XD

Posted August 7, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

B Cogman:
    AND I’ve already noticed a typo!“Thousands of years” instead of “hundreds”.Great.

D’oh! Too late to fix it, I guess? At least you’re not on Twitter anymore, you’d never hear the end of it! ;)

8. B Cogman
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Well, now it’ll be the valuable “thousands of years” collectors edition. Kinda like “Bush head” Season One. Ugh.

All that said, Chronicle did an amazing job with the book and I’m excited for everyone to see it!

9. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

B Cogman,

Proud owner of the limited Bush edition!
    But serouisly mister Cogman thanks for all your hardwork on the show and your passion, we fans really appreciate it! Ordering it on Amazon today!

10. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

B Cogman:

B-Cogs should not beat himself up for a slight thing…the book looks amazing to a woman’s eyes and will be pre-ordered today! Jaqen won’t have to shop for a woman’s birthday present THIS year! Well done!

11. Shar
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Yes! I want this for my collection.

12. Shinyteapot
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

B Cogman,

It looks amazing, thankyou for all your hard work!

13. Udi
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

B Cogman,

Kinda like: “Hundreds will die”! —-”Thousands” :)

14. Udi
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

I don’t trust Jaqen’s gifts to be honest. The last one he got me was a beautiful painting but it morphed into a hideous thing!
    Valar Morghulis :)

15. Udi
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

CAREFUL fellow fans!
    If you watch this on Youtube be warned of spoilers in the comments section!

16. The Instrumentalist
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

This looks so cool! …40 bucks?! And just when I bought a new instrument -_-” Pre-ordering on Amazon seems like the best thing to do. Yay sales!

17. SDGM
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Pre-ordered! I adore books like this and this one looks especially beautiful.

18. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I’m definitely interested in picking this up, but I wonder why they went ahead with it only two seasons in when there will obviously be much more that could be included going forward… Although, a new book every two (or so) seasons would also be pretty awesome. I still have all three of the “Art of The Lord of the Rings” books that were released, and this looks to be just as good. Pre-order is a definite.

19. Hi-Fi
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Looks great, B. Cogman. Congrats.

OFF-TOPIC: Melisandre against the patriarchal system:

Carice deserved a better role in Game of Thrones than the one she got.

20. Leuf
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar: B-Cogs should not beat himself up for a slight thing…

Yes, he should. In fact, he should be forced to reveal some tidbit about season 3 that he’s not supposed to as punishment for this. How else will he learn from his mistake?

21. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Leuf: Yes, he should.In fact, he should be forced to reveal some tidbit about season 3 that he’s not supposed to as punishment for this. How else will he learn from his mistake?

LOLz! A woman can go with this simple penance for the error.

22. tati
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I secretly ordered this for me, but I will present it to my husband as a gift, instead :P

23. David
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

David was letting his inner nerd show there for a second at the end. I’m glad they got one of us to make the show, but someone who can keep his cool.

24. WildSeed
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

I didn’t realize this is a promo yet the talent and sentiment relayed here is certainly
    worth the cost in appreciation and collection status. What extraordinary talent and
    collaboration. These people bring our fantasies to the screen in every facet, detail
    and logical way just to make it function before our eyes. Well worth the $ bucks.
    I’m still saving up for the Iron Throne however :D

25. WildSeed
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Udi:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

Valar Morghulis :)

LOL !

26. mags giantsbabe
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 12:47 am | Permalink

I’m definitely buying this (: That is, in five years time when it actually shows up in South-Africa.

27. loco73
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 3:03 am | Permalink

It will be a must-buy for me, definitely! I already have the two volumes containing the art of “A Song Of Ice And Fire”, with art from the calendars, games, fans etc. This would be another welcome adition.

Just a quick question, Amazon sent me an e-mail regarding the pre-order of Season Two of “Game Of Thrones”. Does that mean that perhaps we will get an earlier release date as suppossed to Seaon One, like perhaps in December? Season Two already appears listed on the Amazon website available for pre-order, though no date is set…

28. DavosFTW!
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 3:14 am | Permalink

B Cogman,

Its not technically a typo but this should give you a chance to dock the pay of your proofreaders. Mistakes like these are ‘never’ the writer’s fault. Editors and publishers are to blame. Evil faceless men and women who make tiny changes to the work of great minds! They’re nearly as bad as website moderators!

It sucks that your mistake is in a bigger bit of text too rather than tucked away somewhere small.

29. cib
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 3:31 am | Permalink
  30. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 5:11 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

Just a hint ey, book stores here in SA love ripping us off. Use Amazon it is oh so much cheaper! I bought my ASOIAF boxset from Amazon and including premium shipping paid R360. The price for same boxset at Exclusive books is R600-R650.

31. YvyB
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

cib,

That’s amazing… some people are so clever!

32. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 5:37 am | Permalink

cib,

In a perfect world Gerard Butler is Mance Rayder!

33. Andrew
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink

loco73,

I think they started listing it on their site around this time last year too, didn’t they? I know D&D (I think) mention at Comicon last year that they had just put together the DVD’s, so I’d probably expect the same spring-time release date as before.

On topic, this book looks great! I’ll deffinitely be trying to get one of the limited-edition “Thousand Years” version! :P

34. Alan
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

loco73:
    It will be a must-buy for me, definitely!I already have the twovolumes containing the art of “A Song Of Ice And Fire”,with art from the calendars, games, fans etc.This would be another welcome adition.

Just a quick question,Amazon sent me an e-mail regarding the pre-order of Season Two of “Game Of Thrones”.Does that mean that perhaps we will get an earlier release date as suppossed to Seaon One, like perhaps in December?Season Two already appears listed on the Amazon website available for pre-order, though no date is set…

Probably not. Dance with Dragons was listed on Amazon for about four years.

35. Ash
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I can’t say I care for it, I just want ‘winds of winter’ to be finished!!!!!!!

36. Currer Bell
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

One has just finished reading GRRM’s Not a Blog entry about Inside HBO’s Game of Thrones. In his preceding post he exuberantly outlines his ambitious, no doubt time-consuming, plans for his Wild Cards series. *sigh*

One shall now go sit in the corner and repeat one’s sad little mantra:

George RR Martin is not one’s bitch.
    George RR Martin is not one’s bitch.
    George RR Martin is not one’s bitch.
    GEORGE RR MARTIN IS NOT ONE’S BITCH.

Dammit.

Posted August 9, 2012 at 7:50 am | Permalink

B Cogman,

Looking forward to getting it!

38. Yellow Dog
    Posted August 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell,

Saddest and funniest thing I’ve read all week!

39. Kelly
    Posted August 17, 2012 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Have pre-ordered this, the map book (can’t remember wht its called) and The Winds of Winter!! Can’t wait to get my hands on all 3!!