August 2009 was the month of our most illustrious moment when it comes to casting puzzle solving. Refresh you memory in this edition of The North Remembers, where we relive what was going on in the world of GoT three years ago.
- Jennifer Ehle was cast as Catelyn for the pilot in the beginning of that month (once the series was picked up she decided against the long-term commitment, and was replaced by Michelle Fairley).
- We wondered whether there was space for three new dramas at HBO, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, as well as Game of Thrones. The ultimate answer was yes, with Treme not taking a lead drama position in the HBO schedule.
- Lots of rumours of roles being cast have started circulating, and we were eagerly awaiting some news. Then came the clues, a most complicated set of them, for several roles at once, in two parts. The posts attracted almost 1,000 comments each(!) while we were puzzling away at the challenge (with an extra role thrown into the mix). We did our best, have no doubt. In the end it turned out, as Winter put it, that WiC readers were geniuses. We got them all. Actors cast in the roles of Jaime, Theon, Arya, Sansa, Robb, Dany (Tamzin Merchant, to be replaced in the series proper by Emilia Clarke), and Jorah were annonuced, and GRRM enthusiastically weighed in on the choices.
- With producers commenting on the pilot development positively, our hopes were getting higher every day.
- A reader shared her impression after seeing Kit Harington (Jon Snow) in the stage production of War Horse and meeting with him, noting the actor’s excitement about the upcoming project.
- David and Dan teased the Hound being cast, and later clues from GRRM revealed he was going to be played by Rory McCann (while the official confirmation only came later).