Day 52: Filming continues at a blistering pace
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Speculation.

Filming rumors have been pretty sparse in recent days, which implies they may have been filming in the Paint Hall these past couple weeks. There have been a few tidbits of info though, which we will report on here.

First up, this mysterious set pic popped up on Reddit the other day. The white tarps indicate that this will be used for a snowy scene. Plus the Redditor who took the pic points out that the red tree in the background had fake red leaves applied, which would peg it as a weirwood, further evidence that this scene is one from Beyond the Wall.

Speaking of set pics, these recent photos from rev0lv0r show some old, currently unused sets at Magheramorne quarry. They are Castle Black and the gates of King’s Landing, used in Blackwater. It’s not surprising these sets would still be standing as they will almost certainly be used again, possibly even later this year.

Last bit of news is this tweet from Philip McGinley (Anguy), who indicates that his filming is done for the year. With nearly four months of filming time still remaining, this is a lot quicker than I expected. How to explain this super-fast filming? My guess is that this season they are filming stuff in storyline blocks, as opposed to episode blocks. In past years, they would film in rough chronological order, so later episodes were always filmed later in the year. Now it sounds like they may be filming entire story arcs at a time, so scenes from later episodes would already be in the can even now, at this early stage.

More evidence supporting this new approach, I have heard that they are running 3 filming units in Northern Ireland this year. In past years, they would generally run one unit in Northern Ireland and one in Croatia or Malta or Iceland. To have 3 units running in NI right now is pretty intense. My guess is, with filming set to occur in 4 countries, that they are pushing to film all, or nearly all, the NI stuff now. They will then move on to Croatia and Morocco, and then film in Iceland last. This would likely be the most efficient and cheap way to do it. The problem is the difficulty in handling the scheduling of directors, who would need to constantly be swapped out to handle their episodes’ scenes, but they may have decided juggling directors was easier than juggling actors and filming locations.

Winter Is Coming: What do you think of the mystery set photo? And what are your thoughts on the filming schedule?

1. Andrew
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

The new approach to filming schedules seems interesting, but I imagine it must be hell for the episode directors, having to stretch the job out for months.

2. Michel
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

3. john
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Makes sense to film in this order when it comes to the weather also. Last year they had a lot of problems with the weather in NI iirc. It’ll still be good weather in Croatia and esp Morocco a few months from now. And for Iceland they actually want snow.

4. Chelsea Hawk
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

It makes sense to do it that way, especially for the Iceland stuff, because it gives Kit’s injury time to completely heal, and he probably has a lot of actiony stuff to do this year.

5. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

If the snow set is the only book appropriate thing, then yes, it’s Sam & Gilly are saved from wights by Coldhands.

In my Season 3 breakdown, I’d guess that’s in Episode 10

6. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

As you mentioned, I’m wondering how the directing will be handled.

Also, according to Kristofer Hivju’s agent he’s filming within the next couple of months.

7. darquemode
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I would think the logistics of director scheduling would be a migraine enducing nightmare!

I guess if they use a director or two for each location instead of one director for each episode it would streamline things. It could in theory tighten up each character arc seeing as it would be one director responisble for a full arc as compared to 6 or 7 directors over 10 episodes. Each arc would have that director’s feel instead of each episode feeling slightly different. It will be quite interesting to see if and how the new filming format affects the quality or feel of the series if they have mixed it up like that.

8. Silverjaime
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Makes sense of course. It also explains why Aidan Gillen is free to do an Irish film starting Sep 24th for 6 weeks. His stuff will be finished by then even though he’s in the later episodes more I presume.

9. spacechampion
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Doing Iceland last will reduce the amount of daylight hours they have available to film, and it’ll be colder for the cast, crew and equipment. All that could be a problem. Hopefully they manage it without too much trouble or unexpected budgeting problems.

10. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

Didn’t they do Iceland in November last year as well? They’re waiting for the snow I believe.

11. Zack
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Very interesting view, I like this notion quite a bit, although Game of Thrones is not one of the shows where I’ve been able to tell one director’s episodes from another director’s. Some probably can. A lot of shows have a very blatant tonal shift between episodes and directors that detracts somewhat, and the consistency of a director exerting his/her influence on a single storyline for a season is a very smart way to minimize that while still allowing each director relative freedom.

12. Macha
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Michel: For me the mistery photo is next to the place when Sam and Gilly found Coldhands, it has snow, a camp and a godswood

Good call! Curious as hell as to how Coldhands will look on-screen.

Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

spacechampion, that’s how they did it last year. They had about 4 hours of daylight to film in. I’m sure it was challenging, but they managed. Plus the perpetual twilight produced some stunning shots.

14. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

WOndered why they didn’t do it this way before.

15. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

To add some bit of news from my part of the world – or better say the lack of it.

It is interestingly quite over here on a contrary of the same period last year.
    Only bit of info I had a months or so ago was a rumour about the reducing the filming in Croatia to 2 weeks approximately.
    It is not big surprise because whole Dany s storyline would probably be filmed in Morocco. And KL does not need a lots of exteriors shoots – if they stay strictly to the first half of Storms.

Last couple of days I sent some mails – and still waiting for some concrete answer.

16. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

They were in Iceland so late in the schedule last year because of the lack of snow in automn. (I red it somwhere – but could not recall exactly where now)

17. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Wow castle black looks so green!

18. Jill
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Interesting. while this method of filming might be inconvenient for the directors, think of how more convenient it will be for all the actors and crew! Plus, it might aid in some bigger name casting in the future if there shooting time were to be cut down to a few weeks vs. a few months. Another thoguht would be that each episode would focus on one storyline vs. the 5-10 minutes of each character we’ve had thus far. Not sure if that theory holds water, but just a passing idea.

19. Tenesmus
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I think they shifted to this format due to the expansion of the cast this season. In future seasons I wonder if they would consider hiring directors for ‘arcs” vice episodes?

20. spacechampion
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Only four hours a day? Wow. I’m all in favor of beautiful twilight shots. The Fist of the First Men should be at night anyway. The retreat from the Fist could be dark and atmospheric. Mance’s camp probably the only major location that they would use daylight; the rest can be night or day. Craster’s Keep probably in NI again so that’s not a factor.

21. spacechampion
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus:
    I think they shifted to this format due to the expansion of the cast this season.In future seasons I wonder if they would consider hiring directors for ‘arcs” vice episodes?

22. serum
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

My thoughts: 1) Love the updates. 2) Still 214 days until season 3. 3) Thankfully football will occupy most of that time. 4) Cant wait for season 3 posters and trailers! 5) Keep it coming!

23. Cary Storm
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Directors are cheaper than (big name) actors I would think. Easier to make them do all the traveling.

24. Watson
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus,

This would probably lead to tonally incoherent and poorly paced episodes, which has already been something of a problem. I think a better solution would be to cut down on the number of storylines being handled in any given episode.

25. RichMan
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I still wonder why they don’t have a directory per story arch rather than a directory per episode.

It would be up to the writers to put the pacing for episodes so they came out coherent.

26. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink
  27. Jill
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: I don’t think the Director’s Guild of America would allow such a thing. Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller had to quit the DGA to get co-credit on directing Sin City; Quentin Tarantino directed a segment of that movie but didn’t take an official director’s credit at all.

Are they using DGA directors? I honestly don’t know much about it, so that could be a really silly question, but aren’t most of the directors, as well as actors, British and would those same rules apply?

28. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Watson:
    Tenesmus,

I think the people making the show know better than you, no offense .

29. Cary Storm
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    This guy:http://www.universalartists.co.uk/Producer/Artist.aspx?ID=e1f03628-8120-4b64-986c-e4dfe4d05f85is about to work on Game Of Thrones according to his profile at Castingcall pro: http://www.castingcallpro.com/uk/view.php?uid=478727

Probably one of innumerable minor parts or extras.

30. Cary Storm
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Actually, probably not an extra, he seems to have quite accomplished voice career. Probably a minor speaking role.

31. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Yeah, I do not think he is an extra. Probably one of the minor parts.

32. darquemode
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

I noticed this guy weeks ago on a multiple Twitter lists following GOT actors a and yesterday he mentioned he is an extra in the Brotherhood Without Banners in Season 3.

Maybe old news….

33. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

They always use local NI actors for tiny roles with maybe one or two lines, so essentially a featured extra.

34. Watson
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

I have never claimed to know better than the people making the show.

35. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Carne,

For a fan like me I am always interested in those small roles as long as they present a character from the books (which is not always the case).

36. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it :)

37. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Now we’ll just have to find out who he’s playing :P

38. darquemode
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Greenbeard? Kyle?
    I don’t think he will be one of the other big players in the BWB like Harwin or Lem. He has two eyes so he can’t be Jack be Lucky! XD

39. The Rabbit
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Carne,

And that would be a bit harder to achieve. I ll keep an eye at Universal Arstists site (that s Ian Beattie and Richard Dormer s agency as well).

40. The mighty hodor
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

I agree, its annoying when people think they know better then the professionals..in directors and writers we trust!

41. Arkash
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

darquemode:

Oh how I’d love each arc to be handled by one director only !

42. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I’m talking to a guy who’s set to film something in October/November. His friend also filmed scenes in Littlefinger’s brothel. I’ll see if I can find out some more.

43. Arkash
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Peter Cosgrove about GoT :

After enjoying 17 days in Game Of Thrones season 2 appearing in episodes 1,2,3,4,6 & 8, I have now acted in 10 different roles, in 3 different countries, including 2 for the BBC and 2 for HBO, and have played 3 lead roles.

Wow ! That much episodes for the BwB !
    5 / 7 / 9 / 10 are the only episodes, then where the Brotherhood wont appear !

Meaning Arya with the Hound for episodes 9 and 10 ?

Which would mean RW around episode 9 ?

I’m sad, I wanted it to be in episode 8…

44. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

Those episodes are for season 2, not 3.

45. Arkash
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Ooops, my bad… read to fast !

So the guy played two different extra characters, ok… a NW recruit in S2, and a BwB in S3…

I should learn to read more carefuly ! ^^

46. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

He probably will be in all the BwB scenes though, and that could be several episodes.

47. Virtus
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink
  48. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Watson,

It makes no difference what you say friend, he is not interested in making friends here, he merely posts angry comments and attacks people for having different opinions than him. I even apologized for suggesting that he mentioned earlier that he had problems with season 2 after he lambasted me for saying they could have done some things a different way. It did not end well for me. And I am one of the nicest guys on this site!

49. Skipjack
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

It’s an interesting suggestion to have certain arcs be directed by separate people, given the incredibly complicated production demands, but I think it would fail against the need for each episode to be carefully paced in total. That decision has to fall to the director on set; there’s only so much an editor can do after the fact.

I hope we get a lot of the BWOB. I just read in one of the Joe Dempsie links recently posted here that he’s from Nottingham, and I thought that’s amusing considering that BWOB is a lot like Robin Hood’s Merry Men and Gendry becomes their smith.

50. Watson
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Yeah, I noticed his posting pattern on a previous thread.

Anyway, all I’m saying is that films which heavily intercut between material filmed by different directors are usually a mess. (But maybe Cloud Atlas will prove me wrong!) That said, it might work here, since the material will feature different sets and actors meanwhile television directors don’t usually get license to add a lot of flourish anyway, unless they’re directing Breaking Bad.

51. Michael Harper
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Michel,

Oh fuck yes! The scene I am looking forward to more than anything in Season 3 is this. I hope you’re right!

If it is shot right…this could be one of the creepiest scenes EVER!

52. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I love how you say you’re the “innocent” and making me look like some bad guy when i just claimed that some of you comments were idiotic . I guess you can’t take criticism, but you sure like to criticise evrything that doesn’t suit your preferance, kinda hypocritical if you ask me .

53. Carne
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

Claudiu, you have been rude to several members before as well. Why not try to write more polite replies?

54. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

Yeah I’m with Joshua on this one, he is one of the nicest people on this site.
    You know what they say if a person calls you a dog, ignore him, if a second person calls you a dog think about it. If a third does it…bite him.
    We can’t all be wrong.

55. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Everyone should just lighten up and enjoy this one-man Blackwater spoof.

56. dee
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

wow, Maisie is not so little any more. Arya and Brandon (Issac) are growing at a rapid pace, don’t know how much longer the story can continue on the same trajectory with the same child actors. Anywho, love them all!

57. Jordan Healey
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I was surprised they didn’t move to this filming management style last season, glad to see they’ve adopted it this season. Seemed the more logical choice for a production this size.

58. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu,

If you call someone idiotic than you insult them simple as that. It’s unwarranted. Just tell disagree with my opinion in a civil fashion. That’s all I am asking.

59. tysnow
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

dee,

You don’t have to follow the book verbatum, we just watch them grow into adulthood. It won’t affect the story at all. In fact GRRM originally wanted Arya, Bran and Co. to be 16-18 by the end. He just got rid of the 5 year gap is all, because of the Meerenesese knot..

Posted August 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Claudiu Gherganu, you can disagree with people without being disrespectful and hostile towards them. You are very aggressive and need to tone it down.

Also, your response that the writers and directors know best, as a retort to Watson, makes no sense since we don’t know for sure what the writers and directors are doing in this case. It is all speculation. So Watson and the directors/writers may be in total agreement!

61. Caro H
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

great photos and the anticipation for S3 keeps getting better and better- only 214 days to go! my favorite pic was the one of philip with maise, and i was really intrigued about the BwoB’s scenes being done for a time, cause that could mean the Hound has been around set as well! soooo excited about him! :D

62. dee
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I would just hate to have such wonderful actors replaced. In my mind maisie and Issac are Arya and Bran Stark.

63. dee
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Caro H,

I concur. I predict S3 to be the better than the first two. So much anticipation, the bar has been set.

64. WildSeed
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Zack:
    darquemode,

Agreed. You summed it up nicely ( both of you ).

65. WildSeed
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Oddly ” Neilgate”‘s pictures resemble the blurry ones I took in my backyard . Notice
    the startled doe trying to get away ? Yep, that’s my fancy handiwork :D

It’s great to get images of works in progress, as experts layer on the special effects
    and actors speak their lines, it come s together like magic ( says the viewer ).

66. David
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Shagwell still not cast? I want to see that murderous jester damnit. Doesn’t he sit on Jaime? Come on now. Get it done.

67. Drfunk
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Arrrghh 213 days to go… i can’t help refreshing this site 982938492 everyday and yet I feel these little tidbits just aggravates my thirst for the 3rd season at times =(

I do hope they do streamline these episodes by shooting arcs out of sequence, it would only be logical they learn from their mistakes each season and improve on lowering production cost each seasons. Btw, is casting officially done now? Or are there still roles they haven’t cast/announced yet?

PS: Darquemode damn you! I’ve been marathoning Brotherhood… I can’t stop arrrgh.. XD

68. dizzy_34
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

This makes sense as to why David and Dan are stepping in the director’s chair for a couple of episodes.

69. spacechampion
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Jill: Are they using DGA directors?I honestly don’t know much about it, so that could be a really silly question, but aren’t most of the directors, as well as actors, British and would those same rules apply?

I don’t think it matter where the set is located, the show is HBO, so American. All the directors from previous seasons are DGA members: Alan Taylor, Daniel Minhan, David Nutter, Brian Kirk, Timothy Van Patten, David Petrarca, and for season 3 Michelle MacLaren — all are DGA members, so I assume are bound by DGA rules. It would be not practical if DGA members shooting in Toronto for instance could get away with violating DGA rules.

70. Winturd
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

A mysterious photo with fake snow? YESSSS! THANK GOD THEY ARE NOT FILMING IN ICELAND AGAIN! I mean most of Jon snow’s scenes beyond the wall were just horrible in season 2. It was too windy, cold and barren. The landscape wasn’t even nice.. it was nasty with all those dark black rocks jutting out everywhere from under the snow, and no trees! The scenes all felt rushed [possibly because of the little day time they have], and Jon’s story line was definitely the worst adapted from the book of all the other character arcs. I mean almost no one who had not read the books understood that Qhorin basically asked Jon to kill him…

71. ANiceChianti
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Winturd,

*sigh*

72. Watson
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Winturd,

They are shooting in Iceland again. Only the sections far beyond the wall are shot there.

73. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Drfunk,

Have you seen Brotherhood before? So underrated! Jason Isaacs and Jason Clarke are dynamo. Speaking of Clarke, he will appear in Lawless coming out this Friday. Good reviews coming out for that movie. Also…Oldman with a Thompson? Yes.

74. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

I think they bit off more than they could chew in season 2. They kept pushing it small even though it was getting bigger. The complexity of the production must be tandem with the conplexity of the narrative. They realize that now probably.

75. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Drfunk,

I haven’t watched it since it aired… Maybe I need a marathon re-watch too! XD

Both Jason’s absolutely killed their performances I recall, especially Isaacs in Season 3 (?) with his injury.

76. mags giantsbabe
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:46 am | Permalink

The black rocks, cold and barrenness were actually the most hauntingly beautiful scenes shot in Iceland. I couldn’t keep my eyes of them as Ygritte and Jon were walking past them. It just heightened the sense of Jon’s isolation. Anyway, the rugged landscape makes the idea of hidden caves more realistic, if you know what I’m referring to, lol. And at one point Ygritte mentions to Jon that there is shelter, if one knows where to look.

Btw, Winter is Coming forum is awesome, just need to get my avatar.

77. mags giantsbabe
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:50 am | Permalink

But I get that some parts beyond the Wall should be more forested, and should be considering that the HF scenes are filmed in Ireland and only 20% of production will apparently be taking place in other countries this year.

78. Drfunk
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I just started, watched first two seasons … it’s a very good narrative. Pleasantly surprised would be an understatement and glad for the distraction till GoT comes back~

79. Drfunk
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

darquemode,

Know any role in GoT that’s still up for grab for either of those actors? Only one i could think of is Connington for Isaac maybe.. Idk.

80. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:15 am | Permalink

Drfunk,

I’ve heard others mention they see him as Euron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy or Randyll Tarly, but I think I see him more as Jon Connington too. Isaacs is strong enough to play any of the roles for sure… Although honestly no role jumps out at me and screams Jason Isaacs…

81. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Dont think Shagwell will be cast at this point. Same with Belwas

82. Hi-Fi
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Not looking good for Val, either.

83. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 3:34 am | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens,

Yeah, I think you may be right sadly. Shagwell may just be an extra if even mentioned at all.. I do have some slim hopes for Belwas to be cast yet since Dany’s arc has not started filming yet…But those hopes are fading.

Hi-Fi,

Maybe Val and Dalla could be featured extras this season and then next season Val will be cast officially?

84. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 6:34 am | Permalink

Val might have been cast. Maybe HBO is going to do another batch of announcements.

85. Arkash
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 7:36 am | Permalink

I guess we will have one last cast annoucments in the upcoming days.

86. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 7:58 am | Permalink

darq, was told neither Lem or Tom will be in the show :/

87. queenofthorns
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Maybe if they’ve streamlined filming that’ll mean more time to concentrate on getting the scripts for later filming polished/revised instead of spending all the time running all over the place.

88. Phil Norris
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I agree that the mystery shot looks to be where Coldhands rescues Sam & Gilly, which will be interesting to see how they handle that character, without giving away who he is?

And if he is one of the characters who people think he is Benjen Stark has there been any news if Joseph Mawle is in NI?

89. Grijnwaald
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Carne,

Im sorry, but who is Val?

90. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

She’s the sister of Dalla who’s the wife of Mance Rayder.

91. Mormegil
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Seems GoT will be on Sky One in the Uk from Sept 10th.

Unlike Sky Atlantic where the show has been shown up till now Sky One is available to Virgin Media viewers as well as Sky Viewers.

92. Michel
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Our is the Fury posted this on twitter..

Val or Dalla ?

93. Arkash
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Or maybe just an extra, but I agree she can be a good Dalla.

Too old for Val, imo.

94. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Val is my guess, based the actress being pretty young and they’ll probably want someone close to the age of Kit.

95. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Sad.
    Not unexpected though I guess. When they cast Anguy and all the rest and there was no announcement for Tom and Lem I supected one or both would not appear in the series.

I didn’t think they would cast every member, but in my mind Lem and Tom O’Sevens are the two most fun BWB members behind Thoros and Beric of course. They will be missed.

96. Michel
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Carne, is your info true that Lem and Tom are not in the show ?

After this photos, I’m thinking that only Anguy/Thoros/Beric are really actors in the BwB, and the rest will be locas extras..sad, I was thinking that we would see to Harwin, Lem and Tom (the rest I wasn’t expecting though)

97. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

My source is pretty legit, yes.

98. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

You don’t really hire an award winning actress for a role as an extra. She might be a bit old for Val, as described in the books, but I’d imagine that the age of the actor or actress is way down on the list of priorities, unless it’s integral to their character. I’m gonna’ assume she’ll be playing Val.

99. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

The way they age everyone up a bit I think she would make a good Val. Her CV says that Stephanie’s playing age is 16-25 so that fits Val comfortably… or Dalla. She has the look of Val to me and quite haunting eyes!

Dalla really has only what… 2 scenes basically? She can be played by an extra easily enough.

100. Michel
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

How old are Val and Dalla ? I only remember that both are blonde LOL

101. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Michel,

I don’t think it is ever mentioned directly, but I always took them as being slightly older than Ygritte in their 20′s. Val closer to 20 and Dalla in her mid to late 20′s.

102. Hi-Fi
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Could that be Val? Ha, we were just talking about her.

Carne,

That’s a shame re: Lem and Tom. Not even an extra dessed with a yellow-ish cloak? : (

So that probably means no Harwin as well.

darquemode,

I’m beginning to think that the Red Viper might be cast for this season. I was sure he wasn’t going to be (just as I was sure about Val) but Carne may be right about a new batch of announcements.

103. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I don’t think the show would be overly picky about the ages of Val and Dalla. As long as Val isn’t too old to feasibly be a potential fiancee for Jon later, they don’t have to be very particular about the age.

I agree they wouldn’t cast this actress to be an extra but there’s no guarantee she has a substantial role, either. There are lots of roles on GoT that are just one or two lines. It would be nice if she turned out to be one of the notable wildling women though.

104. Tenesmus
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

I thought that the lead singer of the band Snow Patrol was cast as Tom o’Sevenstreams

105. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

It certainly is possible, but I think HBO made its one big casting announcement.

I mean we have seen every major role cast that was expected in Season 3 (outside of the possible Dornish roles which may or may not appear in Season 3). With only background roles and supporting players to be cast I’m not sure another announcement would have the impact of the first announcement.

106. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus,

I think he was just a walk on for the day extra.
    I could be wrong though……

107. YvyB
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Do we know if the hound is confirmed as returning? i.e. Rory? I’ve herd his IMDB say’s nothing

108. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

YvyB,

His agency website says in its news section that Rory will be filming season three soon. http://www.emptagehallett.co.uk/

109. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Most of the characters with one or two lines are played by local Belfast actors though.

110. YvyB
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    YvyB,

111. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus,

Lightbody is not part of any BwB scenes.

112. Ours is the Fury
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Not necessarily. Many were, but lots of roles were not local N. Irish. For instance, the actress who played baby Barra’s mother was played by an English actress.

This woman could be Val or Dalla, but we really can’t assume she’s a recurring role or anything until we hear from HBO.

113. Michel
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Lightbody costume for me was indicating that he was in the BwB, but if he is not in the BwB, where is he ? He can’t be someone at the RW since his costumes were too dirty and “ugly” for these wedding.

114. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

I think they will hold off on the Red Viper until season 4.

115. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

YvyB,

Just as an added confirmation, while I was vacationing in Scotland three weeks ago I saw Rory in a coffee shop talking to the owner about getting ready for season 3 and more sword training.

116. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Still no confirmation on Vargo though…

117. Rhaegar's Ghost
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

On a side note.

I live in N. Ireland and a work colleague mentioned today that he going to be an extra on the show. He is going to be a guard at Riverrun not sure of the dates yet as he has to be informed of them.

118. [email protected]
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Michel,

For everybody interested, that’s Stephanie Blacker’s showreel. – “Did you like it?” ^^

119. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

You’re right there has been no official confirmation. Although Tom Brooke has the right vibe and the perfect look to fit the Goat’s role so I guess I would be very surprised if Brooke was not Vargo Hoat….

120. AlmostPolite
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Wow, Claudiu- that was almost polite!
    Claudiu Gherganu,

121. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

<a href="mailto:dfdee@wewe.wewe">dfdee@wewe.wewe</a>,

Ha!
    The reel doesn’t show much range, but at least she has her own shield! XD

122. Tenesmus
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

What would be the reasons for not naming the characters that have been cast? Besides a possible slight spoiler in Theon’s arc, I can’t see where witholding the information makes any sense. Can anyone elaborate?

123. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I never thought Val was really young, beautiful yes, but in her 20′s? Not really. I think it would be better to have her be in her 30′s, especially next to the actor who will be playing Mance.

124. Abyss
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

I agree about the range, but it’s a very old one ([email protected] was me, apparently I am to dumb, to write in the right field…).
    Would be nice to see a more up to date showreel, to hopefully see more of the actresses different sides.

125. darquemode
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

To be fair she is a young actress just out of school and does not have that many roles to take scenes from for her show reel so it is what it is…. Cute girl though.

126. YvyB
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Hey Josh was that you! Ha ha ! I’ve told other Rory fans on other sites about that :D

127. Joshua Taylor
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

YvyB,

’twas me. :-)

128. Carne
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Apparently they had 3 different director during the first 3 days, so it does indeed sound like they’re going all the NI based scene in one go.

129. Alan
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Handmaiden of Dany:

Well, I mean, ok, but you’d be wrong. She’s Dalla’s younger sister, and with Jarl, who was young as well.

130. Caro H
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

wow that’s so cool! did you talk to him or heard more? :)

131. tysnow
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

I was just thinking about how long the series will run, and my thought is 10 seasons, broken down thus….
    1 – Prologue
    2 thru 4 – First Act (CoK/SoS)
    5 thru 7 – Second Act (FfC/DwD) Usually the most boring part of the story.
    8 thru 10 – Final Act (WoW/DoS)

This follows your typical story telling structure, thereby a logical summation.

132. Grijnwaald
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 3:15 am | Permalink

tysnow,

10 seasons?! But the kids will have grown up by then! :( how long is that in the book?

133. Jaison Biagini
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

in all honesty i never understood the 1 director for one episode on shows this vast. why not have the 3 or 4 director be on a story arc? it makes more sense for continuity and filming schedule!! (and $$$) if lines cross, co-direct. they would save enough money to film 12 episodes cheaper than 10!!

134. Winterfell91
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Andrew,

Looks like where Sam becomes a slayer!