Quick Hits: Lena interviewed and nominated, Valyrian confirmed, and more
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Merchandise, Press.
  • Lena Headey has been making the interview rounds, due to her upcoming appearance in Dredd 3D. Of course, she talks Game of Thrones in these interviews as well. Here is one with the Irish Times and another with The Telegraph.
  • On a related note, Lena Headey has been nominated for an EWwy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. The EWwys are given out by Entertainment Weekly to actors they felt were snubbed in the Emmys. You can vote for Lena here.
  • Thrones cast member Kristian Nairn and actor/sometime-WiCnet-commenter Jake Stormoen have started a podcast entitled Showbiz & Welfare. Check it out. Hodor!
  • Things have been slow around here of late but this weekend should be a change in that department. First up, on Saturday the Emmy awards for Creative Arts are handed out. I suspect Thrones should garner a few wins here. Then, on Sunday, Boardwalk Empire airs its season premiere. Last year, HBO used this opportunity to air the first teaser for season two of Thrones, might we see our first season three teaser on Sunday?

1. MedievalFantasy
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

That’d be amazing if we got a teaser on Sunday. If we do, it’ll be nothing big, most likely along the lines of the “Cold Winds Are Rising” Stannis trailer we got last year. But anything will be welcomed!

2. serum
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink

I can only hope and pray for a season three teaser trailer!!!! Can’t wait to hear the Valyrian language!!!!

3. dizzy_34
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

MedievalFantasy,

Last year’s pre BE teaser was the night is dark and full of terrors BAWHOOOSH one. I hope we at least get some 15 sec clip for us to nerd out about.

4. Carne
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

It seems like Josef Altin (Pyp) is done shooting his scene(s):

September 10th: In Belfast – friggin freezing!!! Brrr!!! O_o

September 11th: Off to the bar :) …well deserved after todays filming. Boyyy have I missed this place. #Belfast

September 12th: Back to london – to finish off ‘A Long way down’ :)

Based on this it seems like he’ll have more of a cameo. Doubt he’ll be back for more filming this season. Why would they ask him back for one day only to have him fly back to London they day after and then back to Belfast again?

5. Duff Man
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Teaser tagline I would like to see them use. “Weddings are coming”

6. Cary Storm
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Duff Man:
    Teaser tagline I would like to see them use.“Weddings are coming”

Spoiler! Spoiler! :-D

7. dizzy_34
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I think the three leeches would be an effective teaser.

8. darquemode
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Carne,

I just saw Josef Altin in the 2-parter ‘A Mother’s Son’ on ITV last week.
    I literally shouted to no one inparticular, “Pyp!”
    Quite a small role, but a good series nonetheless….

9. darquemode
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I forget did HBO announce the first Season 2 promo?

I checked the onDemand and HBO GO schedules and there are no new Game of Thrones vids in the next few weeks. Of course that could change any time… maybe…. I hope! XD

10. Al Swearengen
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

If there is going to be a teaser on Sunday I hope they use the voice of Mance.

11. Al Swearengen
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Duff Man,

Hahah nice.

12. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

For the teaser I just want to hear these verses:

Fools blood! King’s Blood!
    Blood on the Maiden’s thigh!
    But chains for the guest and chains
    For the bridegroom…
    Aye aye aye!

13. Jaime hates archers
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Valyrian!!! Sweet! I thought they would have Missandei speak Dothraki instead. What a pleasant surprise :)

14. Sandsnake
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Is anyone on here planning on going to Wales Comic Con next Sunday (23rd)? They have a Game Of Thrones q&a with Bronn, Yara, Loras, Renly, Pycelle and The Old Bear as the main event of the day. Going to try and ask a couple of questions regarding who is coming back for season 3 so il report back on here if anything interesting gets mentioned.

15. The Greatsteve
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Yes, yes, YES!

16. sjwenings
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

darquemode: I forget did HBO announce the first Season 2 promo?

No. We got a really short promo with no actual footage around this time last year, though. So we might get something similar soon. Just speculation, ofcourse.

17. Macha
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen: If there is going to be a teaser on Sunday I hope they use the voice of Mance.

I’m on board!

18. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Carne,

I think he’s only in the last episode where Jon comes back to the wall. I don’t think they gonna take the Battle Beneath the Wall in third season. Already happens much on the third season. They should save the battle beneath the wall, the purple wedding, Arya’s voyage with the hound. And there happens alot on Jaime and Brienne storyline..

19. serskwisgard
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Couldn’t it just be Walder Frey’s “heh…heh…”

20. Tír Airgid
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    If there is going to be a teaser on Sunday I hope they use the voice of Mance.

Amen to that

23. WildSeed
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Macha: I’m on board!

But can he sing ?

24. Ygritte
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Lions do not sleep. You know nothing, Jon.

25. Cary Storm
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Well, stupid icon follows me everywhere. How am I supposed to be silly and hide behind an anonymous name?

26. Cary Storm
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: But can he sing ?

He can in Phantom

27. Michael Harper
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure each and everything single one of us would shit our pants and panties if there was a teaser trailer, and instead of fire like last season, they used blood spray as the animation for the teaser, and the dialogue is spoken by a voice we have never heard saying: “Jaime Lannister sends his regards”. I know that I at least will get a total buzz from that!

I mean, imagine: “Jaime Lannister sends his regards!”, then a suddenly a sound of a sword swinging, and blood immediately splashes on screen…and as it runs down we see the title: GAME OF THRONES: SEASON THREE! :D :D :D :D

28. Cary Storm
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Michael Harper:

I’m skeptical that they’d tease us with something that doesn’t happen until episode 8 or 9…

29. Michael Harper
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

I’m not saying they’d ever do it – in fact, I totally doubt they’d ever do that – but c’mon, it would be one hell of a tease!

Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm:

Just use a different email address when commenting. :)

31. Aemon
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

“Last year’s pre BE teaser was the night is dark and full of terrors BAWHOOOSH one. ”

That one did not air before the BE premiere. If anything it was the finale in December.

32. Cary Storm
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Just use a different email address when commenting. :)

Oddly enough I tried that. Didn’t work.

33. Aemon
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Michael Harper:

A voice we’ve never heard? Who do you imagine would be saying this line?

34. Nezzer
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Michael Harper:

I don’t know, better to have something more subtle. I think they should have the Boltons in the teaser. Something like “Our blades are sharp” or “A naked man holds few secrets, a flayed one, none” (or “A flayed man holds no secrets” just make it shorter), but voiced by Ramsay. Or maybe Theon saying his Reek rhymes.

35. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Tease please! I’m freaking starving!

36. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I think this is the teaser that aired when Boardwalk Empire premiered last year- this was uploaded to youtube a week or two after BE second season premiere. So it definitely wasn’t with BE’s finale.

37. The Rabbit
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

As I sneak regulary on youtube – I can confirm that the teaser you ve linked above was the teaser of BE premiere night.
    Next official video we got last year was: The season 2 in production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE12H1HorUU posted on Youtube on November 19 – so, I thinks it was even before BE finale.

38. Young Wolf
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Lena said she’s doing 14 days’ work for Thrones this year. Is that normal? Cause it seems to me, like they’re rushing with the filming.

39. Maegor The Cruel
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I love Lena Heady and I think she deserves every award that she get’s for her portrayal of Cersei.

On another note:

What concerns me the most about season 3 is that even though GOT has a very huge budget for the series, they still have had to compromise certain things to fit into the budget. We had better see some giants, dammit! I love me some Wun Wun lol. And what about Varamyr Sixskins? I know that Orell will be in season 3 but Varamyr is more of an important character IMO. And it would be so fucking cool to see that scraggly little wildling riding around on the back of a huge polar bear with 3 wolves and a shadowcat following behind him lol.

40. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Excited to hear some Valyrian!!!

41. Maegor The Cruel
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Also, I feel that the show really needs to do a better job of referencing the events of Robert’s Rebellion. They don’t talk much of Rhaegar or the the battle of the trident. Apparently there was supposed to be a flash back scene in season 1 of the Mad King but it had to be cut out due to time constraints. The reason that these things start to become an issue, is because a tv show and a book are obviously 2 different mediums. When we read all the books so far, there was always some character mentioning Rhaegar or the battle and all these events that took place before AGOT. So even by book five, these events remain fresh in our minds. The show on the other hand, has not been doing that so well. I still love the show a lot but I’m just sayin’…

42. dizzy_34
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Aemon,

What Sue-Fury said…

43. Isam
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

serskwisgard,

“…heh, heh….the red will flow, yes….”

44. Isam
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Isam,

FYI – if you can’t wait til season 3 – check out this one-man spoof of the epic “Blackwater” battle episode. Word on the street is it’s hilarious:

45. Montresor
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I’d love a teaser, but I’m praying like hell that they leave out the leeches scene in the show. I didn’t even like it in the book.

46. Maegor The Cruel
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

I honestly don’t think that we should see Theon again or Ramsey until at least season four, maybe even season five. We don’t see them again in the books until ADWD and the show should do the same. Let the people who watch the show almost forget about Theon until we see what Ramsey has turned him into. Though next season, they should at least do what they did in the the books and mention what’s being done to him by presenting a piece of his flayed flesh to Lady Catelyn. That alone would make people wonder about his fate.

47. Maegor The Cruel
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror,

I agree, “father” lol.

48. jkb
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Isam,

FYI – if you can’t wait til season 3 – check out this one-man spoof of the epic “Blackwater” battle episode.Word on the street is it’s hilarious:

ahahahah, that’s pretty good actually ;p

49. Arqueid
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I think they should show a quick clip of Joffrey, Rob, Stannis & Balon followed by the words “There is power in King’s Blood” and then Mel and her fire.

50. Matt Chung
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry, but as a violinist, I have to say this: I really, really do not like Lindsey Stirling.

51. The Young Wolf
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Montresor:
    I’d love a teaser, but I’m praying like hell that they leave out the leeches scene in the show.I didn’t even like it in the book.

I think the leeches scene is important in showing the power of Mel and her prophecies.

52. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

This is what I want to hear in my teaser trailer: “Here boy! Melt it down and throw it to the others!”

53. Miyay
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

This is a bit old but you might still be interested in this – Write Like the Wind, George RR Martin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

54. Alan
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Maegor The Cruel:

Where did you see it was due to time constraints? My understanding is that they have made a concerted choice to avoid flashbacks completely (and have done so to date), because they were afraid that once they went down that road, they’d have to keep going down it.

Flashbacks can be great, but they can also be lazy storytelling, and can be fundamentally very expensive, as they can require separate casting and set work.

The show has discussed Robert’s rebellion and Robert’s love for Lyanna and her death. They’ve talked about the Mad King and how he killed Brandon and Rickard and the start of the Rebellion. At some point, they will have to discuss the different perception of Rhaegar, the Tower of Joy and the very real chance that Lyanna was not actually abducted (though Ned’s reticence has hinted at that).

However, aside from the Tower of Joy, there’s no major hints in the book as to that difference until Barristan reveals himself to Dany, IIRC. There is the prophecy Rhaegar quotes in the House of the Undying, of course, but that’s not really Robert’s Rebellion (though I suppose it could be more centrally linked).

Martin also gave a comment on why prophecy is harder in the TV, and I do wonder if those prophecies will disappear completely. Then again, I doubt it — it’s tied to Jon and his parentage and why else would Quaithe be around?

55. Alan
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Young Wolf:

Seems low. On a Hollywood set, a scene can take a day, although there’s huge variance between action sequences (a scene could take many days) and dialogue scenes, where you might get in multiple scenes if the setting, lighting, actors are the same.

She may not have a lot of scenes this year. I know a lot of folks think we’ll get past 2/3 of the way through Storm based on their scene setups, but I doubt it. I think it will go slower. Given that, Cersei isn’t really a big character this season, IIRC, so perhaps they are pumping out a couple scenes a day, and Cersei really only is around 1-2 scenes an episode. I could see that. I could honestly see less, especially if there’s a few episodes where we don’t hit KL or Cersei at all.

(For example, I could Martin’s episode barely touching KL, if at all).

56. Alan
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I would hope the teaser shies away from anything remotely spoilery.

57. Cary Storm
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Arqueid:
    Ithink they should show a quick clip of Joffrey, Rob, Stannis & Balon followed by the words “There is power in King’s Blood” and then Mel and her fire.

That’s actually pretty good. You’re hired.

58. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

The first teaser usually has almost nothing, no actors in it and nothing concrete. Last year it was “The dark is night and full of terrors,” just Stannis’s voice and the shattered logo with fire.
    This year it would be cool to see something like that playing on the words ‘storm of swords’ somehow.

59. Canary
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

You’re right. I think, if anything, we’ll see something like a voice overed, “A storm is coming…” and maybe the clashing of swords. Vague, but on theme.

60. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

They should use the tag name Valar Morghulis in the ads. It will intrigue others who recall the season 2 finale and Jaquen’s words. The mystery of the season will be the meaning of the words. It would be neat to have Missandei say it in the Valyrian tongue and have it translated so that by the end of the season the Unsullied learn that “all men must die”.

61. Nezzer
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Maegor The Cruel,

Well, but Theon and Ramsay are already confirmed to be in season 3. Who knows what they’ll do…

62. Maegor The Cruel
    Posted September 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry but I have to bring up one more thing about my crazy Jaqen theory, for those of you that I’ve been discussing it with.

Jaqen (whom I believe is actually Rhaegar Targaryen) is a faceless man, and the guild of the faceless men originates from the mines of Valyria. The very words valar morghulis are the language of high Valyrian. This is yet another huge connection of the Targaryens (Rhaegar) and the faceles men (Jaqen)

Just saying…

63. Sinslash
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 12:54 am | Permalink

Holy shhh! That Game of Thrones cover was awesome, totally blew me away! And they did Skyrim too! I L.O.V.E. the theme of Skyrim!

64. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

i believe you meant to say “the night is dark and full of terrors” LOL

65. Stannis for King
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Does anyone know if David Bradley is returning as Walder Frey, I really hope so!

66. Currer Bell
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 4:07 am | Permalink

One is sorry but “the night is full of terrors” has been ruined by the picture of the dog with the caption “the night is full of terriers.” That phrase is the inescapably lodged on a repeating loop in one’s memory and one has been unable to take Melisandre seriously since.

67. ieiazel
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

That is the most perfect thing I’ve heard.

68. ieiazel
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Matt Chung,

Weird, I thought exactly the same thing last night as I listened to her rendition of River flows in you, and I’m not even a musician!

69. Macha
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Maegor The Cruel,

Yes, and notice how Jaqen and Rhaegar are never present in the same room?

70. Watson
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Maegor The Cruel,

How odd that a Faceless Man of Braavos would use a phrase which appears to be the motto of the Faceless Men and which is well known to all people of Braavos. Clearly the only explanation is that he is a fallen Targaryen Prince.

71. Alan
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Watson:
    Maegor The Cruel,

Even moreso, all of Bravos are refugees from the Valyrian empire, so it’s like hearing me say “Caveat Emptor” and assuming I’m Julius Caesar.

Valyria was like Rome and Valyrian like Latin. All of the Free Cities speak some dialect derived from Valyrian.

72. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

One thing occured to me vis a vis Dornish casting:

Are they going to cast Spanish/North African? I mean, Elia Martell gave Rhaegar two Targaryen children. Does anyone remember from the books if Aegon and Rhaenys were refferred to as being of a fair complexion? Or were they darker?

Keep in my mind that my knowledge of geneaology is deplorable. I may need that big book Ned was lugging around.

73. darquemode
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

ETA:
    I looked it up…. according to semi-canon sources, Rhaenys took after her mother and had brown hair and looked like a Martell. Aegon was fair, with fair hair.

What are you thinking? :)

74. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

According to George, “Rhaenys looked more like a Martell, Aegon more a Targaryen.” (x)

75. darquemode
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Yep… I corrected myself, but you beat me to it…
    I just looked it up because I had a suspician my initial thought was wrong! XD

76. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

I just wanted to ascertain the complexion of the Targ children. It makes me wonder how they will cast the Dornish in the series.

77. queenofthorns
    Posted September 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Eeee Missandei and Valyrian! One of my favorite scenes is sure to happen… :)

78. Valyrian
    Posted September 16, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I’m really excited about Missandei saying “Valar Morghulis” and then Dany replying “All men must die”