Day 79: Season three filming in Croatia begins
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming, Production.

Photo credit: Nikša Duper/Dubrovnik Times

According to the Dubrovnik Times, filming for season three of Game of Thrones began today in Mlini, a village close to Dubrovnik. Special effects are being filmed in the waters around the city, and cameras were observed being attached to boats.

The set today was the island of Mrkan just off the coast of Cavtat. It is believed that rough sea shots were filmed as well as using a replica of a historic Dubrovnik ship in some scenes, however no actors were spotted on location today.

As previously reported, filming is expected to occur from September 27th through October 7th, with locations in the Old City of Dubrovnik and in the Trsteno Arboretum.

Ours is the Fury: After GoT failed to pick up Best Drama at the Emmys Sunday night, I’m glad to have some happier news! I’m hoping we’ll hear more in the next couple weeks about what these locations are being used for, especially the Arboretum.

UPDATE: Here is a video report of the filming beginning. It is in Croatian, but includes some footage of Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey arriving in Dubrovnik.

UPDATE 2: Here is a report from the first day of shooting with actors, with a photo gallery of them arriving on the set in costumes. They are shooting at the fort of St. Lawrence first, then moving on to the Pile gates. Even more photos here!

1. Juan
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Might it be the rock where Davos is found? I can’t think of any other scenes where special effects at sea would be needed.

2. Cary Storm
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Juan:

Good thought, I’m sure that given the location of the rock on which Davos is perched, absent from any sight of land special effects would seem to be needed there.

3. Cary Storm
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Also, “no actors were spotted” might mean that nobody of any note were spotted, and I’m sure that Liam Cunningham, being the only major actor in that particular scene, might easily be missed.

4. Sandsnake
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I remember reading that the actor playing Davos has finished shooting his scenes so Im guessing that they will film the external shots of the island Salador finds him on near KL in Croatia and the rest will have been filmed in studio in Ireland.

5. Tír Airgid
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Juan:

Good call! It would explain the need of a ship as well. And it ties in with this:

Sandsnake:
    I remember reading that the actor playing Davos has finished shooting his scenes so Im guessing that they will film the external shotsof the island Salador finds him on near KLin Croatia and the rest will have been filmed in studio in Ireland.

6. Ours is the Fury
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Liam Cunningham is already done shooting so if they are Davos-rescue-related, it would probably just be backdrop water shots.

7. Cary Storm
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Sandsnake,

Ah, yes, now I do remember hearing he’d done shooting. So backdrop. Totally.

8. YvyB
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Question : What ship picked him up again?

9. darquemode
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

YvyB,

I had to look it up since all I recalled was that it had the striped hull of a Lysene ship….
    Davos II reads:
    “Melisandre had been much in his thoughts as Shayala’s Dance made her way across Blackwater Bay and through the Gullet, tacking against perverse contrary winds.”

10. darquemode
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Good news!

Filming seems to be flying by this year doesn’t it?
    Maybe it’s just me……

11. The Rabbit
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I ll bet it would be Salla s ship in the series.

12. YvyB
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

darquemode,
    I thank you my good man ! :)

13. Valyrian
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t Briene travel with Jaime by boat? Theres a funny scene that involves a boat. Brienne trades her boat to the innkeepers for 2 horses. Moments later Arya tries to make the trade in reverse, offering horses for the boat.

14. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

A woman thinks these water scenes could be any of those mentioned above, as we don’t really know which plot lines will be featured in S3 except for the main characters. But since certain actors have been filmed already, it’s probably for Davos, his rescue, his return to Stannis. That makes sense. So good to read the little news we get, keeps interest in the series alive IMO.

15. Tenesmus
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Me thinks the opening scene this season will be Davos

16. Tír Airgid
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Valyrian:

I think they’ll probably film Brienne and Arya’s scenes in Ireland.

17. Nick Larter
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I suppose they might need some sea footage for Dany’s trip from Qarth to Slaver’s Bay as well.

18. Two Feathers
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Sorry I missed you in Belfast Rabbit. I was needed elsewhere and didn`t make it up.
    I hope you had a good time. Are you compiling a report for us?

19. The mighty hodor
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

What drama did win at the Emmys? Mad men again…game of thrones always gets screwed! If lord of the rings can win a ton of oscars surely thrones can win best drama!

Another thing, the dude from breaking bad winning best supporting actor? For real? His only lines are “bitch”…dink got screwed!

20. Loco73
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

21. Ryan E
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Loco73: Honestly pardon my French, but fuck the Emmys! Useless award which usually rewards the safest, most formulaic shows!

Not really. Breaking Bad, Homeland, GOT, Boarwalk Empire, Mad Men – none of these nominated dramas are safe or formulaic. Far from it. All quality shows that are very bold.

22. Erik
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Water ?! Please Riverrun Battle !

23. Mormegil
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Valyrian: Doesn’t Briene travel with Jaime by boat?

Pretty sure we have already seen the TV version of that Boat Trip in Season 2. I doubt they will be getting back into a boat after leaving one behind.

24. Watson
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

They wouldn’t film anything on the open ocean unless it were a scene that takes place on the open ocean. Putting the whole crew on boats is neither cheap nor convenient.

25. zerowolf
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Juan,

It won’t be Davos – Liam Cunningham has already tweeted that he has finished filming his parts this year.

26. Cary Storm
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 12:37 am | Permalink

zerowolf:
    Juan,

I think we’ve established that the filming is not actually involving any actors but is probably just special effects, so it may still very well be Davos

27. Lost Northern
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Does this mean Emilia Clarke is already done…or is did she started filming I mean you guys never talk about her or even Michelle Fairley.

28. Ryan Genualdi
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

On the plus side with the Emmy’s, Homeland doesn’t strike me as a show that will win consecutively. I think Mad Men has run it’s course, especially for this generation, and gives Thrones a chance of making history. Only four shows have ever one four times consecutively. I don’t know why the Emmy’s like doing this, but whatever. Season 2 was far better than Homeland’s Season 1, so if the Emmy’s can get off of their asses, I don’t think Thrones will go without an Emmy in the future.

Thrones is breaking down barriers. this is to be expected for the first few seasons. But if RW makes an appearance this season, I expect no less from the Emmy’s. If handled properly, it may be one of the best seasons of television ever.

29. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Hey peeps, just got back from Dredd. Do yourself a favour go see this film, it is surprisingly good. Karl Urban is a modern day Eastwood and Lena Headey is a vicious villain. This movie deserves more attention than it is currently getting!

And glad to see the return of MGOT! The buildup for season 3 has begun!

30. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Loco73,

I agree with you sir on the comedy front. It still amazes me that they gave one to Arrested Development. As for the drama front, the Emmys are good when it comes to drama. Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Homeland are quality shows.

It mystifies me that the Wire never won a single Emmy.

31. The_Rabbit01
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Two Feathers,

I was looking for you all around :)
    Hmmm do not think so I gonna make a report – because quite simply I am not Fabio -and I think my report would simply be dull and uninteresting.
    We had a great week-end though.

A piece of info I thought it was interesting I DM-ed to Winter ;)

btw, have you got your wedding invitation already?

32. loco73
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Ryan E,

“Boardwalk Empire” and GOT yes, the rest…please don’t get me started…

33. loco73
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 5:29 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

“OZ”, “Brotherhood” didn’t win either and these are just a few of the shows that the Emmys ignored. As for “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad” I say “Rubicon” and “The Walking Dead”, for “Homeland”, I say look what happened to “24″….

I’m going to see “Dredd” today, I can’t wait to see Lena as Ma Ma…she looks fierce! I also want to see “End Of Shift” of which I hear good things about, and if its anyhere near “The Shield” or “Training Day”, then is should make for some good viewing!

34. Breaking Bill
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Wait? Is this news about GOT or where people go to cry because the show didn’t win any major Emmy awards this year?

loco73:

“Boardwalk Empire” and GOT yes, the rest…please don’t get me started…

Please… Breaking Bad is better than both those shows. Maybe if BE stop boring its audience and GOT focus more on story and character development than constant sex, violence & nudity maybe those shows can be better than BB. By comparing BB to Walking Dead, shows that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

OZ? People who thinks that shows should win an Emmy, are people who enjoys the frequent violence and rape the show has. While, Brotherhood is a poor man’s Sopranos.

35. Game Of Thongs
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 6:44 am | Permalink

The mighty hodor,

Have you even watched Breaking Bad? The only person who was more deserving than Aaron Paul was Giancarlo Esposito who is also from Breaking Bad.
    But Homeland winning best drama is bullshit in my opinion.

36. jim
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

loco73,

As much as I love Game of Thrones…

Breaking Bad is one of the best dramas ever. Much better than Boardwalk Empire…

37. Rygar
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Please oh please tell me that Emilia can persuade D&D to hire Seth McFarlane as Jinglebells now that they are dating!

38. loco73
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Breaking Bill,

So I must like “Breaking Bad” because you and other people here do? You like it, good for you, but just because you or somene else likes it that does not make it a good show for me. The same goes for “Game Of Thrones”, I might think that it is by far and away the best thing on TV, but for some others it isn’t…and that is fine, to each his own I say…

39. loco73
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Breaking Bill,

jim,

Lets just leave it at “opinions are like assholes and we’ve all got one” . You guys like the shows you do and I have the ones I enjoy. All the best to you!

40. Rygar
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I have about had it with all the Emmy talk. I think WiC did not post any topics on it to avoid having to listen to all this bickering banter back and forth.

Let’s move along folks. GoT is awesome and that’s why we are all fans.

41. Cary Storm
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Rygar:

Does Jinglebell actually have any lines? Come now, I think Seth McFarlane will make a better Voice of Strong Belwas (I imagine they’re going to digitally create him since they haven’t announced the casting of this very important character)!

42. Tír Airgid
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Rygar:

Oh, I’d actually love McFarlane as Patchface! I know oh oh

43. Rygar
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Cary Storm,

But just think of all the endless possiblilites of musical dance numbers they could do at the wedding with Seth on board?

44. Cary Storm
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Tír Airgid: Oh, I’d actually love McFarlane as Patchface! I know oh oh

I was actually thinking Patchface would be much better than Jinglebell, but I wanted to put him with Daenarys. :)

45. Abyss
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

OT:
    Reference to Game of Thrones on 2 Broke Girls.

46. loco73
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

This goes to Seth McFarlane…listen here Stewie-Peter-Bryan…I do love “Family Guy”, and it does make my day everytime I glimpse one of the characters on TV, the net or whatever, Stewie alone should win an Oscar, and I did like “Ted” (one of the better movies of the summer)…but if you hurt our Khaleesi, what Drogo would have done to you won’t even come close to what all the mad-GOT-ASOIF-fans will do to you! So be forewarned… You hurt Emilia and even Joe Swanson won’t be able to help you ! :-P

Now in the immortal words of one Stewie Griffin…its time for a sexy party…and please can you kill-off Herbert The Pervert…or give him Chris Griffin…just to make that old perv happy for once? Everytime I see that guy I feel self-conscious about taking my shirt off…

47. Tinuviel
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I am looking forward to the depiction of the fighting pits of Meereen. Has anyone considered that the concept would make a great video game or perhaps a spin off web series?

48. The Rabbit
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

To add a bit of info on Dubrovnik filming:
    According to this article: http://dubrovniknet.hr/novost.php?id=20412

- filming starts tomrrow on the St. Lawrence fortress.
    (that location was allready used in S2 for Joff s birthday party (top of it), and some scenes at the courtyard: Cersei and LF “power is power” dialogue.
    - confirmation of yesterday s filming on the island Mrkan using this Karaka boat: http://www.karaka.info/
    - filming would take place at Trsteno Arboretum (we allready know) and at the “Pilas” – probably gates I would say.
    (Pila gate was used as place for KG riot last season)
    - rumours of 2 months long filming in Dubrovnik next year if green-lited !
    (YAY! Bring me Oberyn vs. Gregor and I ll be happy!)

49. Alan
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Abyss:
    OT:
    Reference to Game of Thrones on 2 Broke Girls.

Ugh. Crappy, not funny, racist show can stay away from Game of Thrones, thank you very much.

50. Abyss
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I have no feelings for 2 Broke Girls whatsoever. In fact, I have never seen it. Just posted a pop culture reference to Game of Thrones. ;-)

51. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Rygar we have a right to feel robbed! Homeland my ass!

52. Nick Larter
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

That’s one beautiful carrack!

53. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Quick article at E! on-line where Richard Madden says of season three that ‘every episode is like a finale’. Sounds awesome!

54. Alan
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Abyss:
    Alan,

No need to see it, unless you like 2 and 1/2 Men type of stuff. Generic comedy considered edgy because they will do racial stereotypes — but they are okay b/c we make bad, stereotypical humor about everyone! But mostly people who won’t complain much!

I wasn’t criticizing your post, just a little bummed that Game of Thrones references have gone from cool (Parks and Rec) to mainstream (2 Broke Girls) so very quickly.

And I’d rather not have my favorite show associated with that steaming pile of crap.

55. Alan
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Rygar,

Rygar we have a right to feel robbed! Homeland my ass!

Honestly, everyone up for either Best Drama or Best Supporting Actor was pretty fantastic. Or at least the competitors. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Homeland (from all accounts).

It’s not like Grey’s Anatomy or that dude from the Mentalist won.

I enjoyed Thrones a lot more than Breaking Bad this season, and I think Dinklage showed a lot more range than Paul — but it is in the space of reasonable minds differing.

56. Ed
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Well said. I’m not sure why some people get offended. There’s allowed to be other good shows on TV.

Ryan E: Not really.Breaking Bad, Homeland, GOT, Boarwalk Empire, Mad Men – none of these nominated dramas are safe or formulaic.Far from it.All quality shows that are very bold.

57. tweedie
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

A nice little teaser there from richard madden. From all accounts they’re really stepping it up for season 3. Can’t wait.

58. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Some one really needs to set up a blog dedicated to GOT reference clips only. If I had the skills I would, sadly I can barely use tags correctly. The show might have a record for the most nods in a it so far short run. Doubt there will be anymore on the Simpsons now however!

59. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Alan,

Breaking Bad season 4 is what was nominated this year at the Emmy’s. Not the 8 episode half-season from this summer. Aaron Paul was deserving of his Emmy. So was Peter and so was Giancarlo. There were no travesties in the drama category. Every category had multiple nominees that were worthy of winning. It is the comedy category that they simply have no clue about.

60. Abyss
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

For our Croatian speakers: Here is a little report about the start of filming in Dubrovnik. – Or at least the arrival of Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage. I don’t speak Croatian, so I am basically clueless.^^

61. Kate
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Add New Girl and Glee with references quotes about Game of Thrones. And that just on the first episode of their new seasons.
    Alan,

62. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

I posted this is earlier, but I figured more people should see it since that thread was a little dead. Florida State marching band playing the GoT theme:

63. StarkyZG
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

A friend of mine is filming on set today in Dubrovnik with Lena Headey and Aidan Gillen. He promised me an updated tonight. I’ll post here if you’re interested.

64. The_Rabbit01
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Cersei & LF this morning.

@StarkyZG
    If you please ask your friend who else came to Dubrovnik except Lena, Dinklage and Gillen.

65. Tír Airgid
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am | Permalink

The_Rabbit01:

Cersei & LF this morning.

There’s a Highgarden touch to that dress… :) Loving it!

Posted September 27, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Updated the post with the link!

Thanks, Rabbit :) Dig dig dig! So glad I know Croatian there days ;)

67. Caro H
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 8:37 am | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

Besides those actors I think Sophie turner might also be in Croatia cause there were pics of her at some airport on Tuesday on tumblr, so she may have arrived at Dubrovnik alongside Lena & Peter

68. Macha
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 8:50 am | Permalink

The_Rabbit01:

Cersei & LF this morning.

Awesome find! Lena looks stunning as ever. But Pod forgot to lace his breeches. ;-)

69. Joan
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

First look at Tyrion’s scar. Looks not quite as bad as it looked in the last episode of S2. Perhaps with further make up before shooting they make it look more hideous.

70. The_Rabbit01
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

lol
    Jerome Flynn looks like local fisherman!

71. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Nice pictures! Well done Rabbit (again!).

Really liking Cersei’s dress. Influenced by Margery?

Great to see Daniel around too :)

Posted September 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome to join the discussion in the dedicated post above :)

73. StarkyZG
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

He said they were filming scenes with Cersei and Littlefinger, and one with Tyrion, Bronn and Podrick. They’re filming at Trsteno tomorrow so I guess we’ll know more then about what it will be used for.

74. The Rabbit
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

StarkyZG,

Thank you!
    It is nice to have first hand source :)
    I wonder if the filming in Trsteno would be a bit more “closed” to public. Never been there so do not know is it approachable area for turists, media etc..

75. Katja
    Posted September 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Noooo!!! I’m going to Dubrovnik on October 27! :(

76. Frank
    Posted September 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

That Blonde guy in the Kingshguard armour is probably Arys Oakheart

1. [...] TV station, of Peter and others arriving to Dubrovnik for filming of Game of Thrones. According to Winter Is Coming.net, filming in Dubrovnik is going to take place from today, September 27th, until October [...]