Guest editorial: Art inspires art
By Fire And Blood on in Editorial, General, Merchandise.

Photo by Keri Kilgo

FaBio here, back from an extended hiatus that saw me slaving away in a darkened room, tied to the whims of shadowy creatures, each lacking in morality in some distinct way.

(No, I wasn’t locked in HmR’s basement again. Come on. This is just the teaser for a more self-serving plug I may deign to give you all some day soon.)

Today I come to introduce you all to that all-too rare occurrence here at Winter Is Coming: the guest writer! Meet Daesirae the Dagger!

I met D for the first time in San Diego over a year ago, at a mini-moot following Game of Thrones‘ first Comic Con appearance. And no, “Dagger” is not her actual surname; she writes under a pseudonym to protect her identity against the vengeful, rage-filled families of those deserving souls she has been forced to slay over the years. (She may / may not also be a TV insider, having worked for various production companies over the years. Which of them I cannot say!)

Daesirae approached me with an idea for an article, and frankly—I love it! So much on this site is given to the day-to-day details of production, rumor, and adaptation minutiae, we sometimes forget the effects and influences Game of Thrones has on the outside world. I could go on about it… but why do that myself? Ladies and germs… Daesirae:

Art Inspires Art
Like everyone on this site, I am a Game of Thrones fanatic. I read the latest book, A Dance With Dragons, in two days. A few years ago, when HBO announced the Game of Thrones series, I nearly peed myself with excitement. I’ve met/stalked George R.R. Martin on numerous occasions and each time I’m always awestruck. The most recent time at the Hard Rock Cafe lobby during Comic Con, when all I could do was point at George and hit my friend, my speaking ability monetarily forgotten. Luckily, she maintained her senses and asked for a photo.

Every person in my office is assigned a Game of Thrones character, which we proudly display over our desks (and yes, my coworkers are the coolest people in Los Angeles). I was delegated Arya, though I’d prefer Dany.

Basically, I consume Game of Thrones like Santa consumes cookies. So, the other day, when my boyfriend showed me an article about Game of Thrones sigils converted to corporate logos, I immediately stopped all action to look. We were at Disneyland, and usually nothing distracts me from Disneyland. But even my affair with the Mouse comes second to all things Game of Thrones. As far as GOT fan art goes, this was not the most impressive. You can decide for yourself.

But it did get me thinking. Ever since the premiere of HBO’s Game of Thrones, the internet has been flooded with GOT-inspired fan art. It ranges from drawings, to tee shirts, jewelry, rap songs, and parodies. To put it in perspective: Martin created a popular book series, which inspired Benioff and Weiss to create a television series, which, in turn, provoked viewers to create their own adaptations of Game of Thrones. It’s an indestructible spider wed of creativity, with new threads stretching out from the center every day.

On the website Etsy, a retailer of handmade and vintage items, 79 pages pop up under the search “Game of Thrones.” Fans are so inspired by the series they created 79 pages of art. Now I know what you’re thinking, A ‘Moon of My Life’ bracelet isn’t art?! I beg to differ. Art’s the application of creative skill and imagination. And what’s more imaginative than a button that reads ‘Adopt a Direwolf?’ Plus, it’s really cute.

Of course, the first place one goes for his or her GOT fix is the HBO store. As FaB said, just because it’s got the “official” stamp on it doesn’t make it any less art; someone had to think it up, design it, and create it. I proudly wear my Targaryen tee, which I purchased from the site. And everyone deserves a life-size replica Iron Throne. Who doesn’t have $30K just lying around?

Art by Marc Simonetti

Maybe the most renowned GOT artwork comes from the “A Song of Fire and Ice” calendars. Each year, a different artist re-imagines 12 scenes from the book series. The demand for the artwork has increased since the premiere of television show. If you attended Comic Con the past two years, you remember the long line to purchase autographed copies of these calendars.

But if you’re anything like me (and I bet you are) you prefer to wear your GOT pride on your T-shirt. There’s some awesome original artwork online that you can’t find in stores, like this Calvin & Hobbes/Game of Thrones mash up.

Of course, there is art purely for entertainment, not merchandise. You Tube is saturated with short videos and parodies. My top choice right now is a (SPOILERY!) rap song by Dominik Omega and The Arcitype. It remixes the Game of Thrones theme song and uses images from the show.

Another favorite of mine is One and a Half Man, a parody of Bronn and Tyrion’s relationship as if they starred in a sitcom.

Just for fun, and because I love Daenerys Targaryen and Disney, here is a mash up that features Pete’s Dragon, Maleficent dragon, and Figment dragon as Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion:

I don’t need to look far to discover artists inspired by the show. For the season two premiere, my friends decorated their apartment in a Game of Thrones theme complete with wildfire, hanging wall sigils, dragon’s egg, and Visery’s skull melted in gold. FaB covered the party in this article.

My point is, when I stop to think how one show influenced so many individuals to add so much beautiful art in our world, My. Mind. Is. Blown. This is just a small sample of all the wonderful Game of Thrones stuff out there. Hopefully, the series will continue for several years and spark more fan art. If you have any fan art faves, I’d love to see them!

In the meantime, I will continue to scour the realm for more great GOT fan art, even if my boyfriend and I are at Disney World. Oh, and can someone convince my boss that I am more Daenerys Targaryen and less Arya Stark? I want to be Mother of Dragons in our office. Thank you!

Fire And Blood: Thank you, Daesirae! Dominik Omega + The Arcitype is freaking brilliant.

(Secret identities aside, y’all can follow Daesirae the Dagger at @desire_yay on Twitter!)

My own offering takes the form of this video of artist (and GoT fanatic) Grant Gould showing us his step-by-step process in the creation of a Khal Drogo picture! (The music is “Gerontion [Orpheus Remix]” by Luc Poublon.)

So! Let’s see more examples from you people!

1. Andrew
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Really cool stuff included here. Thanks FaBio and Dagger for putting this together. Time to browse all 79 pages of Etsy!

2. Tír Airgid
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

That One and a Half man video is hilarious! :D I may need surgery to remove the smile on my face… :D

3. Conor
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Off Topic but:

I Don’t know if you’ve seen these over the past few months or not but the GAA (Irish Football and Hurling Association) are using Game of Thrones styled Promo’s for the All Ireland Finals. Check them out, they’re pretty cool.

Posted September 30, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

He speaketh the truth, not this time, really. I swear.

5. Rygar
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Great to have you back FaBio. You have been missed. Lots of fun stuff to peruse. Thank you for posting it all.

6. Patchy Face
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Great to see you back FaB & hello to the Dagger – thanks for posting another female fan’s perspective on our world of SoIaF. More of that please!

7. Joh
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

a pink, House Bolton-themed cupcake

I have now seen it all…

That is the end of cupcakes right there.

8. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Wonderful post, full of wonderful links that a woman now has to follow for the rest of the afternoon while Jaqen watches golf. Dagger, how did you crawl into a woman’s head and express her thoughts so precisely? I am also blown away by the artistry inspired by GoT, and it is so cool to have a community to share the awesomeness with. Only a few years ago all of this art would be tacked up on somebody’s bedroom bulletin board, only to be seen by a few friends. Now, the universe has come to you and somebody out there shares your interests…LOVE.

9. Bloody_Mummer
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

My personal favorite song based on GoT. Its by electro/hiphop group Timeflies. Perfectl samples the theme song and other sound bites from the show.

10. Grijnwaald
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

The sigils were fantastic!

11. Rory
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I’m one of those people who have channel my GoT fanaticism into fan art, here is my Brienne of Tarth, one of my favorite characters.

12. Rhaegal's Tattoo
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Just putting it out there, but stick with Arya – she is so much more badass!

13. Grijnwaald
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink
  14. Grijnwaald
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Rory,

Thats very good, well done.

15. Carrie Best
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I really dig Grant’s ASOIAF fanart. I’m watching him on DeviantArt. He has a bunch more here:

:D And I’ve also done some of my own interpretations of some of the female characters and direwolves here:

16. Jonathan
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

How about a time-lapse video of a drawing of Daenerys? I think it’s a really great video, and a fantastic drawing.

17. Abyss
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

As a gamer I am especially pleased with this. (possible spoilers if you are really into location details)

And this was the first thing that just blew my mind.

There is so much more…

18. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Rory:

LOVE!

19. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Even manatees hate Joffrey…http://calmingmanatee.com

you have to click a few to you see it, but it’s a fun one!

20. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Unbelievably, the Star Trek nerds have beaten the GoT nerds to a fantasy language version of Gangnam Style. We NEED this in Dothraki video peeps….get on it!

<a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/28/star-trek-gangnam-style-klingon-video_n_1922781.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news&quot;

21. Restore The Day
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Good news, everyone!

We’re just past the half-year mark until next season :)

22. Tír Airgid
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Rory and Carrie, hats off to you both *claps*

23. Tír Airgid
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 7:47 am | Permalink

This crowd who does wonderful Asoiaf inspired coins. They even have a Valar Morghulis one!

24. Desiree Proctor
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink

I love all the links! So much new, great stuff, especially the TimeFlies video (who doesn’t like Medieval Times?) and Carrrie Best’s artwork.

And thanks for the support, Patchy Face!

25. Kyri “The Eye”
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Joh,

Thanks! If you like Bolton Cupcakes…. I have more pictures posted on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerikilgophotos/6900351968/in/photostream

and thanks Daesirae the Dagger for posting my pic!

26. loco73
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

I love all the art, all the examples of the imagination and inspiration fans have found in both the show and the novels. Great pleasure to see all these developments.

27. Hilda
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

FaB, great article! Love the artwork.

more importantly,I miss you like I am missing Benjamin Burnley….ok I miss him a little more,but he sings and you make me laugh. Can’t wait for the awesome twitter laughs come april!

28. Clean Keyboard
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:02 am | Permalink

I feel your annoyance. I never had any luck with this kind of thing, either.
    So relieved to find out I am not all by my lonesome!