Doreah kills Irri: New S2 production stills
By Ours is the Fury on in Media, Production.

A host of new production stills from season 2 turned up yesterday, thanks to Kissed-by-Fire.com. Photographer Paul Schiraldi visited the set in Dubrovnik, Croatia during filming last year and took pictures of Dany’s storyline, the riot and Joffrey’s birthday celebration, and other outdoor scenes set in King’s Landing.
The most notable photograph is the one above, confirming what many suspected: Daenerys’s beloved handmaiden Irri was murdered by Doreah, in cooperation with Xaro Xhoan Daxos’ plot.

Over 160 photos are posted in Schiraldi’s gallery. Here are a select few.

Ours is the Fury: Well, the first photo clears up that mystery! We can only speculate as to why the show chose not to use the footage of Irri’s death. It’s possible they may have thought that showing who killed Irri would make it too obvious Xaro was behind the whole plot. Personally, though I don’t like Doreah becoming a murderer, I would rather they’d shown what happened so that it was somewhat more understandable why Daenerys would execute her.

1. MedievalFantasy
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Wow…. I hope we can see that scene on the DVD. Great photos.

2. Coltaine777
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

ya it’s too bad that scene wasn’t shown..some nice pics here…

3. Jambo
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Crazy! I’m glad they kept it a mystery who killed her.

4. Carne
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I hate how we most likely won’t see this among the bonus material on the DVD/Blu-ray >:(

What do they have against deleted scenes? There’s obviously a lot filmed that ends up being cut.

5. Omar Brown
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Why the hell was this scene deleted!? They better have a deleted scenes/ gag reel on the next set. Making us wait a year is torture enough.

6. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Had to delete the scene for the “who took my dragons?” Stuff to work… If it did.

But they had NO REASON to kill Irri!!!

Oh how I will miss Irri’s scene from book 3! :(

7. Tír Airgid
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I would have loved to see that scene onscreen. I understand they might have chosen to keep undisclosed who was behind the dragon’s theft, but imho as long as Dany didn’t know, we would still be looking forward to see when she’d find out, it’d still have remained a mystery for her… And we would have been routing for Doreah to get her comeuppance, instead of feeling sorry for her when Dany locks her up in such a seemingly cold hearted way.

In any case, please HBO, we beg you… put the deleted scenes on the DVDs! We’ll flock to buy them!

BTW, Kudos to kissed by fire for finding this gems!

8. Mean25
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

D&D will probably lie to us again, and say that they used all the footage, just like they did with season one extras.

9. Pt
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

My heart can’t deal with it

Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

WHOA!

Well, I don’t feel sorry for Doreah in the vault anymore.

11. Karl Richards
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Edit: maybe spoilers if people don’t want to know the changes for if they read the books?

I know she was ultimately a small character, but I feel a bit peeved at how they changed Doreah from the sweet ex-prostitute who died with Daenerys nursing her to a psychotic murdering bitch.

12. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

To me, it actually looks like Doreth is giving a really sensual massage and Irri is gasping out in pleasure.

Wow. That stand alone shot of Doreth is stunning. Put a white wig on her and THATS Dany!

13. Ed
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Awesome! I admit I wanted to see those two go at it, but not in that fashion.

Color me disappointed. :(

LOL

14. Duff Man
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Great looking photos, but I can’t look at them without thinking about how bad of job they did with Dany’s storyline in season 2.

15. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Ha Conleth looks like he just saw the paparazzi and is ready to tear their balls off!

16. paylor
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Karl Richards,

I feel the same way. Particularly when they killed the one handmaiden that went through Dany’s journey with her! It’s such bullshit they killed Irri.

17. Alice
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Finally I understand Dany’s storyline!!!!

Hope they include deleted scenes in the dvd

Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

By putting that scene back in one could make more sense of why things in Qarth were that way. On the other hand, Doreah’s motivations would be hard to establish. Problems cutting either way … just saying. Wish I knew what the decision process was ;)

19. Caro H
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Wonderful photos!! Oh what a treat it would be if they put the deleted scenes in the DVD, along with the one with sansa and the hound at the serpentine steps

20. KG
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Oh Doreah, you bitch.

21. Thesandsnake
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I just don’t understand where they’re going w this made up plot. Doreah was supposed to die in the Red Waste and The whole plot w Xaro killing the 13 and proclaiming himself king just seems like a lot of trouble for a made up storyline. The 6th book is not written true but I don’t think Dany will remain in Slavers Bay long enough for Xaro to be a huge factor in her plot line. Unless he becomes her ally again at some point before she goes West and maybe goes West w her w and helps strengthen her Army in so doing. I don’t see why all these plot changes are necessary. If its not broken don’t fix it

22. Andrew
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I agree, Irri was just a little stressed out and Doreah was helping her out like a good person. She didn’t murder her.

She didn’t murder her dammit! :(

23. ACVG
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Thesandsnake:
    I just don’t understand where they’re going w this made up plot. Doreah was supposed to die in the Red Waste and The whole plot w Xaro killing the 13 and proclaiming himself king just seems like a lot of trouble for a made up storyline.The 6th book is not written true but I don’t think Dany will remain in Slavers Bay long enough for Xaro to be a huge factor in her plot line.Unless he becomes her ally again at some point before she goes West and maybe goes West w her w and helps strengthen her Army in so doing.I don’t see why all these plot changes are necessary. If its not broken don’t fix it

it was broken, it was too sparse
    it was just her in the garden of bones and being given gifts in qarth, and H of Undying
    speaking of that i really want to see her with her three dragons crown i wonder if she will get one by the time she sits on her ebony throne

24. Turncloak
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

The reason why they changed Danys plot so much I that she didn’t have much to do in book 2. All I remember from her story is red waste, getting offerings from the people of qarth, stupidly giving away all of those offerings to the 13, the house of the undying scene, and the Ser Baristan rescue

25. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Wow. A woman is thrilled to see these beautiful behind-the-scenes photos. Thanks for posting! Doreah…who knew she would turn out to be such a biatch!

26. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I don’t mind the idea of Doreah becoming a murderer. If she came from a pleasure house in Lys, she was probably well-acquianted with the seedier side of humanity. Which is not to equate prostitution to murder, but it can be a rather dangerous line of work, even for the most choicest of prostitutes (see Ros).

27. The Young Wolf
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Once I read ASOS, and found out Irri’s role, I was so pissed they killed her off in the show.

28. Ser Duncan The Tall
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I think it is pretty clear that Missendei will be taking over the minor roles of the hand maidens along with her parts from the book. They are obviously setting her part up to be a fairly major character with the early announcement of her casting.

Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Andrew,

It’s okay. She didn’t, according to the official cut. That’s probably also why they edited it that way in the end, they agreed with you.

30. The Rabbit
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I know that GRRM has not got a complete control over decisions made by D &D, but I still do believe that the producers have in mind the big picture of the events in ASOIAF.

So, I do not think that any of the characters mentioned above would pop-up somewhere in future books and play a big and important role.
    Their idea was probably to introduce some of dinamics into Dany storyline in Quarth and make it watchable on TV screen.

31. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

D & D completely messed up Doreah and Irri in s2, I hope they don’t screw up Missandei.

32. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

A bit off-topic, but HBO has just renewed Boardwalk Empire for a fourth season. Not only that, but they approved Treme for a shortened fourth and final season, as well. This bodes well for GoT going forward, considering it’s their second highest-rated show currently airing.

33. Cary Storm
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Rygar:

Wow.That stand alone shot of Doreth is stunning.Put a white wig on her and THATS Dany!

It looks more like Irri is choking and Doreah is attempting to give her a Heimlich maneuver. Unsuccessfully, since Heimlich never existed in this world. I imagine Doreah ran because she couldn’t revive her beloved “sister” and sought Xaro for help.

That only makes sense.

34. Ser Pounce
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Carne,

I’m pretty sure it said in the extra material from season 1 there was barely anything that was cut so maybe they will have extra scenes from season 2

35. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

We know that they did have scenes filmed that never made their way into the first season, like the flashback to Brandon Stark strangling (which could be used in the future) and the scene with Tommen and Bran sparring in the Winterfell courtyard from the pilot. That scene probably could have been on a DVD, it’s not very reusable, so I don’t know why they didn’t use it. There’s likely other brief things that were cut. It happens on every show.

36. bon
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Missandei is much older and they changed that thing and now she is more attractive than a child in books could be to us…

37. aaron
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

i’m still confused why they made daeny look like an idiot by saying Qarth as ‘Qwarth’ and then getting corrected, when she had never seen it written, only heard it said correctly. i mean i get that she turns out to be pretty dumb and annoying, but why ruin it for the people who haven’t read the books and still like her?

38. Conor
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

This is instantly makes Dany’s season 2 storyline better. They should have kept it in.

Hopefully they’ll be added to the actual episodes on the Blu Ray.

39. Ross
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Admittedly hard to tell from one still, but I wonder if the reason it wasn’t included is it looks a bit hammy…

40. Kosis
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

aaron,

EXACTLY.

That scene killed me last season.

41. Jill
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Am I alone in finding Dany locking Doreah up in the vault in keeping with her character, even without the information that she killed Irri? Obviously Doreah’s, um, alliance(?) with Xaro led, in some fashion, to the slaughter of her already dwindling Dothraki horde, as well as the dragon-napping, her only assets at this point. From a more sentimental standpoint, Dany loved the Dothraki that stood by her after Drogo’s death and views the dragons as her children. In either case, we saw Dany watch her husband murder her brother, so I don’t think passively killing Doreah to stay on her path to the throne is that far fetched. It is quite different than the books, and while I don’t know/understand the reason for the change, it’s there and I don’t find it to be too out of place.

42. KG
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Yeah, the Dany that nails 150+ living humans to posts just to prove a point would never lock someone in a vault, huh?

Did you people even read these books?

43. Blood
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I really liked Roxanne McKee and Amrita Acharia in their roles and am sad their characters were seemingly needlessly killed off.

44. WompWomp
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Wow, now THAT is a good twist for the show, considering one of them had to go for real-world reasons anyway. Hopefully they don’t pull a Nolan and keep this out of the Blu-ray collection. Supposedly the only reason GoT S1 didn’t include any is because they never shot any leftovers. (Ugh, can’t get over the deleted Bane origin we’ll never see in TDKR.)

45. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

KG,

Those 150 people were strangers to her and they were murdered in retaliation for widespread evil deeds though, so it’s not quite the same as her friend and handmaiden betraying her simply in order to survive (as Doreah claimed on the show when caught). With Doreah moving from passive conspirator to active killer, it makes Dany’s actions seem less cruel and unforgiving and much more understandable. We do have different expectations about people’s behavior based on relationship, even though that isn’t always fair.

46. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

KG,

I know. The nerve of some people who would rather watch TV than read a book.

47. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Dude like KG says, have you read these books??? In Qarth, the Heimlich IS practiced, as GRRM clearly states, and it is performed at the neck, instead of below the sternum and above the belly button. It’s obvious that since Doreth and Irri go out to eat together that they saw the signs posted at each restaurant and learned the manuver.

48. darquemode
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Nice to see the Doreah and Irri still.
    I was not a fan of basically the entire Essos side fo things last year, but I think they made the right choice to not include that scene in the series. What little intrigue and drama there was was in large part thanks to not knowing who stole the dragons and murdered Dany’s people. Had the scene been included in Episode 2×05 as it is labeled or 2×06 when we saw the mess after the dragon theft it would have spoiled much of the drama the second half of the season.

Brilliant stills!
    I always love to look at the stills since they focus on one person or area and you can really see the detail in the set production or in the wardrobe etc…. Amazing work by the Thrones team that is all too easy to overlook in the episodes themselves.

49. Jill
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

KG,

While I didn’t quite phrase it the same, I agree that it is within show and book Dnay’s character to have killed Doreah.

50. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

If killing off pointless handmaidens meant that they could afford to cast other more important characters then I am all for it. Irri or the Blackfish? I’ll gladly take Ser Brynden.

51. FilliamHMuffman
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Perhaps the deleted scene required some dragon FX shots that were not completed?

52. lavenderlullabies
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

That had already been confirmed by Amrita Acharia (actress who plays Irri) herself in an interview.

We didn’t get to see Irri’s death scene, even though you filmed one. Can you walk us through it?
    Amrita Acharia: I’m waiting for Daenerys to come back so I’m running up the stairs. “Khaleesi, are you back yet?” And the dragons are gone. Out of nowhere, there’s a noose around my neck. I think it’s hard to be strangled onscreen because obviously to an extent to make it look real, you really have to be a bit strangled. So I had massive bruises on my neck the next day. I was proud. Battle scars. Death scenes are fun.”

Here is the link http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Amrita-Acharia-1047022.aspx

Still great to see a picture to it though!

53. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

lavenderlullabies,

Nowhere in that interview does it identify Doreah as the murderer, which is the point. Obviously we knew Irri was strangled/killed- we saw the body.

54. tysnow
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I loved Roxanne as Doreah too, and wanted her to stay around, but……. if there was going to be a traitor it would be her.
    1) She is from Lys pleasure house, so she is trained to survive.
    2) With Dany’s small horde, only XXD support stood between life and death.
    3) Once XXD told Doreah they were going to kill them for Dany’s children, Doreah’s survival instinct activated.

Also concerning Amrita, I believe her work visa was being cancelled, so HBO decided to off Irri rather than recast the character.

The thing that bothers me is that Irri was so popular among fans, HBO could have easily used their clout to renew Amrita’s visa.

55. tysnow
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I am hoping Amrita comes back as Arianne.

Let’s start a fan drive to have her cast as the Princess of Dorne.

56. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

Her work visa was fine, she’s denied that tale a couple times. It was a story decision made by the show to kill her off.

57. Cary Storm
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I’ve now decided that this was an auto-erotic asphyxiation scene gone bad. We already know about Irri’s little kink side from what takes place in ASoS between her and Dany but won’t since Irri is dead in GoT so why am I using spoiler tags. Doreah just got a bit too exuberant.

However,

tysnow:

So the Dothraki are all dead because someone forgot to reapply for their work visas?

58. Rygar
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

POINT! Winner!

Cary Storm:
    Rygar,

However,

59. tysnow
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

That pisses me off to no end now, Irri was such a fan favorite, why would D&D kill her off, it makes no sense.

D&D better make up for it, by casting Amrita as Arianne.

BTW, that rumor concerning her visa was posted on this site or Westeros, forgot which one.

60. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Maybe it is because I never liked any of the Dothraki characters that Irri’s death in the show had no impact on me. All of Dany’s handmaidens and bloodriders seemed interchangeable when I was reading. Armrita is lovely, though.

61. axia777
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Yeah well, Doreah got locked up in that vault with Xaro Xhoan Daxos. So at that point there are only a couple scenarios that can happen. Starvation and dehydration. Starvation and dehydration and then cannibalism. Even if cannibalism happens they will still eventually starve anyways. I would rather burn like the witch on the funeral pyre.

62. Lin Beifunk
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Interesting off-topic sidenote: Vanessa Taylor was one of the forerunners to write the last two Hunger Games movies, but she got beat out.

63. Eos
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Well, Doreah has always seemed like a scheming, oportunistic little bitch to me (in the show), so no real surprises there. She does have the motivation, as several posters pointed out before me; as far as she’s concerned, the only way to stay alive is to team up with Xaro. As to why perform the murder herself … That seems a little out of character indeed. And added just for the dramatic value. In which case I’m glad it didn’t make the final cut.

But as much as I have disliked Doreah ever since the bathtub scene, I’d prefer to keep her in the series if I could only have Irri back. It’s SUCH a shame to have lost her so pointlessly … She wasn’t much fun this season, but I do regret the writers didn’t make her stand as an interesting character without constant bickering with Rahkaro. I’m sure the grown up Missandei will be fun to watch as well, but I’d much prefer her precocious kid version teamed up with Irri.

A woman can dream.

64. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Regardless of the reasons for killing them off, the loss of both handmaidens makes Dany’s storyline less ‘human’ and less entertaining to watch in my opinion. Since Emilia Clarke already was NOT my favourite actress to begin with, this doesn’t at all make me look forward to the Essos story arc in S03. Luckily there’s still the dragons…

65. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Eos: But as much as I have disliked Doreah ever since the bathtub scene

Haha, that was one of the best acted scenes in the entire series in my opinion, opinions obviously differ…

66. loco73
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Damn it…shit…are you ALL telling me that this chick fight was eliminated from the season! Imagine what would have happened if South Park didn’t show the “cripple fight” (Cartman’s words not mine) between Jimmy Valmer and Timmy!

67. Klavonivs
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

The reason why that scene was taken out of the episode was the fact that at one point they had to use a stunt double during the choking scene and in order to have the double look like her they had to use a George Bush mask and then paint it all up in accordance to her skin tones and facial expressions……….LOL

68. varysthespider
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

I think that keeping the scene would have made Dany’s locking-away of Doreah seem as a righteous thing to many viewers. I’m sure Dany felt it was, as she generally feels about her actions at least in the first three books (as in the referenced 167 nailed people), due to Doreah’s betrayal of her, her khalasar and the dragons (how else would she have survived). But Dany can also be really cruel and as the season stands the scene at the end is emotionally ambiguous and far more engaging. Especially with the music and Dany’s lines “Thank you, XXD” I can’t help but love the scene despite its departure rom the novels.

69. Kyle
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

If they had to take the scene out to improve the story, whatever that’s fine. But at least they should include it as a deleted scene. It doesn’t have to be literally in the episode if they don’t want, but at least have it in the special features.

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Lin Beifunk,

By Jonathan!

71. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

The most frustrating thing about this series is that we are never attuned to the differences in the story like the writers and producers. I am sure if D & D could defend each change the majority of them would make sense. But they don’t. Of course they don’t they have a show to run. That is the rub of it really. What makes perfect sense to the insiders is an enigma to us. Will we ever learn the true Irri story? Was it because with Rakkaro’s actor bowing out they saw nowhere to go with the character? Did they want to decongest the later years of Dany’s journey and simply do fan service by having the characters appear for a season or two?

We may never know. To put a fine point on it I don’t envy anyone working on this show at all. Your damned if you do and your damned if you don’t.

72. KG
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I’m not sure how you managed to dredge this into some sort of insult, but I didn’t intend any offense to TV fans.

But since you have revealed yourself to be an over-sensitive weenie … turn off the idiot box and go read a book.

73. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho:

I sort of get what you’re saying, if only because I moderately liked the characters as they were in the books, but let’s think of this from the perspective of D&D having to make a television show that works for a non-reading audience…

First, you’ve got the issue of the actors. The longer an actor sticks around, the more money they’re warranted contractually. Now I’m not saying I disliked either actress, or consider them greedy, or anything like that – I’m just saying that that’s how it goes. D&D obviously have a budget to work within.

So let’s look at the amount of named characters that would be traveling with Dany if a good portion of her supporting cast hadn’t been killed or written out of the show prior to (and including) season three (as per the books): Jorah, Doreah, Jhiqui, Rakharo/Kovarro, that one older Dothraki whose name I can’t recall (from the show), Missandei, Daario, and Selmy (seems Strong Belwas won’t be appearing in season three). That’s eight characters traveling with Dany, and that doesn’t include the characters specific to the location she’s in or the extras who make up the rest of her group.

And ultimately, D&D have to work within a budget, which casting is a significant part of. So the choice their faced with is to keep certain characters around, past the point of their relevance (Doreah, for example), or write them out after a period of time in order to introduce new characters more relevant to Dany’s immediate story line. This does more than save D&D a few bucks, though. What it really saves them is time. Scheduling for a small group of actors can be difficult enough to work out, and the more people you add into the mix, the more difficult it becomes.

The real time issue, though, is screen time. Each episode can only be so long, and that only gives them so much time to develop the plot and the characters. So do they keep some characters around who don’t particularly add anything to the two aforementioned elements, or do they make room for characters who can do both of those things and keep a television audience interested in the show? For example, Missandei will be an obvious replacement for Irri & Doreah, but she’ll also be used to develop whatever Free City they decide to introduce her in. Not only that, but she’ll also be able to help Dany develop as a character in ways that Irri & Doreah were never established to do.

And all that’s considering the actor you decide to keep around is able or wants to do so (Clive Mantle had scheduling issues and couldn’t appear in season two and now three, as a result; the actor who plays Rakharo decided to take a part in World War Z, and had to be written out).

So yeah, it sucks that the characters won’t be around, but I understand why the decision was made and agree with. Obviously television and novels are two different mediums, but what doesn’t seem so obvious to some (not saying it’s you, just speaking generally) is that they’re consumed in a much different way, with incredibly different sets of rules. Personally, I’d rather lose some minor characters than have them transposed into the place of a character introduced later down the line.

And I guess all of this is to say that D&D’s job is an aw(some)ful pain in the ass, and also that I’m just glad to be getting such a fantastic adaptation of one of my favorite book series, which may be why I tend to not be so much on the nit-picky side.

74. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

bon,

I don’t mind her being older cause she’s about 12 in the books.

75. The Red Viper
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Wait, so betraying Dany by running off with Xaro wasn’t reason enough to have her locked in the vault?! Doreah deserved it regardless if she killed Irri or not. Glad this scene was removed to save the suspense.

76. The Red viper
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:27 am | Permalink

aaron,

Important for two reasons,
    1) to show that is no great being well educated and will make mistakes.
    2) to show that the thirteen are pompous.

77. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:10 am | Permalink

The Red Viper,

Dany told her to bed people in Qarth to gain knowledge, it’s no wonder Doreah was lured by Xaro.

78. Restore The Day
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Kill Irri, fine. Kill Doreah, fine, for whatever reason. But Doreah killing Irri doesn’t make much sense, character-wise. Of course pleasure girls from Lys may also have a violent side. But they were guests of Ducksauce, and very few, at his mercy; surely he didn’t need an amateurish mole to do the actual killing of a mere handmaiden?

So I for one am glad they removed the scene, even though it caused her sendoff to feel quite abrupt. It also makes Dany more brutal in her punishment.

79. WildSeed
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:21 am | Permalink

Brilliant Stills.
    Love the shots of Khaleesi holding the imaginary dragons.

I’m grateful for GoT not revealing Irri’s killer as Doreah. She got her reward in the end
    with she and Xaro being locked away, we know she was his accomplice. But to
    murder Irri was better left to the Qarth goons.

Kissed By Fire has some great stuff, her site is interesting too.

80. Maunette
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets,

Thank you for posting this explanation! I was initially upset that Irri would no longer be part of the cast (especially after finding out there wasn’t an issue with her work visa after all), but your post makes a lot of sense. Of course they are going to focus the screen time on new characters, leaving very little screen time if any for characters like Irri and Doreah.

81. Tom
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Too many characters, mate

82. Tom
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink

The Young Wolf,

Irri = Missandei

83. Tom
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:07 am | Permalink

The Young Wolf: Treme

You mean the lesbo scene?

84. rear me roar
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink

sometimes i think i am reading the wrong book when i think about the show… or maybe i am too demanding for being angry when they change so much…
    KG,

85. lavenderlullabies
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

OK, true enough. I just knew it was Doreah who killed her, it was so obvious to me, that the official revelation didn’t come as surprise at all.

86. The Red Avenger
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 4:49 am | Permalink

Maybe the reason it was cut was to show Dany’s cold side when she locked Doreah in the Vault with Xaro. Think about it. Dany becomes a bit of a weak character throughout series 2. She is mocked by the Councellor – all her threats are empty. It’s not until the last few scenes that we see Dany can be cold and it won’t be as much as a complete turnaround when she does what she does in series 3 to the slavers. It’s called character development – first we have a frightened young girl sold to a great warlord. She begins to love him and adopt their ways, then she has to stand on her own two feet but is not taken seriously. She then asserts herself and realises she has to be unmerciful to be a true queen. It works. We are supposed to feel a tinge of sympathy for Doreah, but for Dany to grow as a character – she has to be cold at this point – no mercy. So probably best they cut out Doreah’s treacherous killing of Irri in that respect.

87. Eric the Lying F
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Do I really need to be reminded that Dany’s storyline is desperately trying to be fixed and in the process is even worse? RIP Doreah… you were cool enough in the book and in the show you are a dumb caricature of fiction cliche. POS stills.

88. Owen Parker
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Did you guys notice that the photo has now been taken down from Paul Schiraldi’s website? That is really weird. Have HBO contacted you about you posting it? Are they trying to retract it?

89. Phil
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Still upset over Irri’s death. Amrita was fantastic.

90. Chris
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I loved doreah, she was beautiful and an amazing friend and caregiver to danny, doreah did what she did to protect danny, Danny should have only locked up xaro, and possibly banished doreah. Very sad.

91. pnguyen826
    Posted April 10, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I found out why it was deleted because the producers ,or writers it does not say who decides where the story goes, but I found out they decided to keep the doreah betrayal, or non-betrayal storyline open so doreah “could” come back, if they were to kill off doreah, would they not behead here like everybody else? and not “kill” in a way that people like me say she could come back. you know what I mean? and the deleted scene was deleted because of that decision, so it is not canon. is they people who agree with me on this?
    Lastly
    Dany/doreah

92. rezzy
    Posted May 16, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

i still think there a small chance she and xaro is alive……..lol i just have a feeling!.and they didn’t show what happened after they was lock in i know they might have die of thirst or starvation or xaro maybe ate poor doreah :’( i dont really think she meant to betray dany i think she had to or be killed……..i think anyone would of done the same if they was going to be kill or thinking they was after seeing all their friends dead(well not really their friends but u know what i meaning) and probably being told that your leader/khaleesi is dead.or maybe he told her if she sleep with him they would spare her and dany or something.just dont make sense to me she seem to of cared for the dragons and dany.i think it was cruel what dany did to her cause if they are dead xaro may have ate her to try to stay alive before dying also(i would even prefer dany beheading her something less cruel n quicker cause i know if shes dead she died a painful death.i think doreah had a hard life she was trying to survive and maybe even trying to save kaleesi.

93. rezzy
    Posted May 16, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

i still think there a small chance she and xaro is alive……..lol i just have a feeling!.and they didn’t show what happened after they was lock in i know they might have die of thirst or starvation or xaro maybe ate poor doreah :’( i dont really think she meant to betray dany i think she had to or be killed……..i think anyone would of done the same if they was going to be kill or thinking they was after seeing all their friends dead(well not really their friends but u know what i meaning) and probably being told that your leader/khaleesi is dead.or maybe he told her if she sleep with him they would spare her and dany or something.just dont make sense to me she seem to of cared for the dragons and dany.i think it was cruel what dany did to her cause if they are dead xaro may have ate her to try to stay alive before dying also(i would even prefer dany beheading her something less cruel n quicker cause i know if shes dead she died a painful death.i think doreah had a hard life she was trying to survive and maybe even trying to save khaleesi.

1. [...] (Paul Schiraldi, via Kissed-by-Fire, via Winteriscoming.net) [...]