Filming rumors and reports: Taylor is in
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting, Filming, Rumors.

Season three production is rolling along this month, with filming in Croatia and Northern Ireland happening simultaneously for the last week. The schedule should get even more hectic when Game of Thrones arrives in Morocco to begin shooting on October 13th. With all this activity, some interesting sightings and rumors have surfaced. There are spoilers in some of these rumors, but those will all be placed beneath the cut.

• The most interesting report comes from two WiC sources, who confirm that Noah Taylor has been cast as Locke. The character Locke is described as filling a similar function to the mercenary leader Vargo Hoat in the A Song of Ice and Fire books, but does not have Vargo’s memorable lisp. Locke will play a key role in Jaime and Brienne’s story next season.
  • We’ve heard that we will see the character of Steelshanks, albeit in a small role. Steelshanks also plays a part in Jaime Lannister’s journey.
  • At least one scene with Aidan Gillen has been filmed in Littlefinger’s brothel.
  • Dame Diana Rigg has been in Dubrovnik, according to the tweet of actor Will Rastall. Rastall is playing a Server. It sounds like the Queen of Thorns was filmed in the gardens of the Trsteno Arboretum, based on the timing.
  • Two photos, from different angles, were snapped of the same set in Northern Ireland, near the biking trail referred to as the Lead Mines, in County Down. Some have speculated that the broken windmill may be part of the set used for the ruined town of Maidenpool.

*There will be detailed spoilers for season three/A Storm of Swords beneath the Read More cut, so proceed with caution!*

• The bear pit scene from the third book has been filmed. Noah Taylor was present for this, as was Nikolaj Coster-Waldau wearing a bandage-style sleeve over his lower arm to convey that Jaime’s lost his hand. It appears that the removal of the sword hand occurred before the bear pit, as in the book.
  • One source reports that a scene has been filmed where Edmure reveals Robb’s battle plans to some northern lords in order to impress them. This makes Robb and the Blackfish very angry, and they confront Edmure about it at Riverrun.

Ours is the Fury: I’m not quite sure what to make of the last item. It’s possible that the scene is new, or was a misunderstanding of the incident from A Clash of Kings where Edmure accidentally wrecks Robb’s plan to trap the Lannister forces after they crossed the river. As for Noah Taylor’s character, I wonder if they decided to rename Vargo Hoat after his lisp was lost and if back story details were eliminated or changed. The family name Locke is used by two minor characters in A Storm of Swords but neither has anything to do with Jaime and Brienne’s storyline, and so I think the show simply borrowed the last name.

1. Rukie44
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

All good news. Can’t wait for Spring.

I wouldn’t mind if they changed some things with Vargo Hoat. I always thought his lisp trait wouldn’t translate well to screen.

2. Morgan King
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Aw, I was hoping for Vargo Hoat – he’s such a great minor character! – but I can see trimming down the Brave Companions and simpifying Edmure’s incompetence. I’m mostly just excited the bear pit scene is in – I thought they’d rework that for sure, just for logistical reasons. It’s probably my favorite scene in the whole series.

3. The Dragon Demands
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Why not just still call him Vargo Hoat?

If its just a name-change because they didn’t want to go through all the trouble of establishing that the Brave Companions are from all sorts of new cultures like Qohor they haven’t worked out yet, not really that big of a problem that they wanted a more “Westerosi” sounding name; but I hope they aren’t cutting out the Brave Companions entirely as a unit….instead reducing it to just one sadistic mercenary. That would be bad.

I understand that given that the Tullys haven’t appeared before, they need to convey that Edmure made a fundamental screwup by (heroically) fighting off Tywin at the fords instead of luring him west, as was the plan. If you think about it, this is NOT yet another case of “Robb is Amazing and Its Everyone Else’s Fault Syndrome”. Edmure *did* make a tactical mistake in the books, explaining why he’d marry Roslin Frey to try to make amends. So yeah its kind of an invention, if this is indeed the case, but at least *thematically* it is standing in for “Edmure made a mistake”.

4. TheAmir
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Why the name change? Heck, why ALL the name changes? The more they continue on with the series, the more stuff they change and skew. What a bummer, Vargo Hoat is sort of a great minor villain, both comedic and scary. Like Skeletor with a lisp. Well, at least the guy LOOKS like Vargo.

5. BooBoo
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I will miss “thapphireth!” then. Why no mention of Gwendoline at the bear pit? I can’t wait to see her in that pink dress! I think I am more excited for Jaime and Brienne stuff than anything else.

6. Ryan
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

So, will Locke be riding on a zorse, or is that cut out too?

7. Reluctantbob
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Omitting / trimming the Brave Companions is a huge disappointment. I don’t get it, they are doing ASOS in two seasons – take advantage of it. I’ve been anticipating the casting of Hoat all Summer. Bummer! Happy about the bear pit scene though.

8. axia777
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

The Brave Companions have lost their comedic awesomeness. How very sad. And very lame. Vargo Hoat is on my list if favorite villains in these books. >:( The show still rules but this is just stupid. What are they afraid of offending people with a lisp? That has to be it. This politically correct movement sucks.

Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I love this one of Taylor:
    He can definitely pull Vargo’s goat face …

10. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

oh boy I can’t wait to read Linda’s tumblr!

11. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

I think it would’ve been relatively easy to establish the idea of mercenaries in Westeros, had they already done it. The key to Vargo Hoat is his connection to Tywin. And since we did not see him with Tywin last season, it would take an awful lot of backtracking to show that a foreign mercenary, who was sworn to Tywin, has betrayed him and captured his son. Granted, they could skip that little detail, and make him a mercenary sworn to Robb, but if that’s all he is, you lose a lot in regards to tension (i.e. the bear pit scene wouldn’t be nearly so satisfying if betrayal wasn’t involved in the equation).

12. Mean25
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: oh boy I can’t wait to read Linda’s tumblr!

me too, since i tend to agree with most of what she says about the show.
    i guess they are on a good way to mess up season 3 also. good luck with emmys.

13. Ross
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

It sounds as though he will be Hoat in everything but name and I can live without the lisp – it’s fine in the books but would probably sound ridiculous on screen. Anyway, Taylor is for sure another great character actor and I’m sure he will make Locke the memorable minor villain everyone wants.

And GREAT that the bear pit is in.

14. KatieJo
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Aw man, no “Tttthaphireths?” I was really looking forward to that,lol. Ah well. I still think the season is going to be amazing, I don’t care.

Joshua Taylor:
    oh boy I can’t wait to read Linda’s tumblr!

HA!

15. Cajunman
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

I always thought the lisp would be a bit too “Monty Python-ish” – Biggus Dickus, welease Bwian !!!

16. MedievalFantasy
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Didn’t D&D say Vargo was in, though? On that list from EW where they listed some characters, Hoat was one of them. I don’t think they’d change his name. There’s a chance he can still be in the show.

17. David
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I don’t understand. They don’t use the term “Others” because of confusion with Lost but they change Vargo Hoat’s name to Locke? Really? Tough to understand. Tough to hold judgement before being able to view it.

18. Set Dingleberry
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I always thought Taylor might be cast as Vargo and not a minor member of the nights watch as was originally speculated. I don’t mind the lack of lisp which would probably appear silly on screen, don’t understand the point of changing his name though, but it’s not any thing that hasn’t been done before with the series, if Taylor is as good as I think he’ll be in the role I doubt the name change will matter much to me in the end. Linda hates the show already anyway, I hope this gives her one less reason to watch, her overblown and oftentimes misguided criticism and that of her acolytes has ruined westeros for me.

19. Pepi
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:37 am | Permalink

David,

My thoughts exactly. :D
    Perhaps they’ll keep the lisp and just want to avoid him being a foreigner … And the whole black goat of Qohor deity explanation. Vargo Hoat sounds (and is) much more foreign than Locke.

20. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

I don’t think Vargo Hoat was on that list of characters for season three, but I don’t have that original list handy and I can’t google it up from where I am, with my annoying phone. We found out they were casting someone like Vargo when the audition tape for Ned Dennehy turned up online with a reading of a scene between what seemed like Vargo and Jaime Lannister.
    I actually think getting rid of the lisp is a good idea. Treating someone’s speech impediment as a joke might cause some problems. Vargo is interesting enough that he’ll be a good character without it. And Noah Taylor is awesome, so whatever he’s playing, the character will be great.

BooBoo,

Because when you get information, they don’t describe the entire scene being shot. Them’s the breaks. The sources didn’t mention Gwendoline Christie, but she was presumably there since this was definitely Jaime returning to help her.

21. me
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

what is her tumblr called? i love fan rantings.
    Joshua Taylor,

22. Rygar
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

That’s it! I am going to stick with PJ’s adaptations, He is true to the books and never changes anything.

Oh wait! That’s not true either. Guess we should just smile and make the world a better place instead of bitching and moaning all the time because it offends you.

Hell it offends me too, but I am excited that this is being adapted and it gives me an excuse to get loaded every Sunday night for ten weeks and play “come into the castle” with the boys across the street.

23. Holbac
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

There is a ser Donnel Locke under the orders of Roose Bolton. I think that the Bloody Mummers are cut, and Bolton’s army will fill their part.

Bolton will apologize for the behaviour of Locke in that scene with Jaime and Brienne !

24. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

To me this is a confirmation that Roose Bolton will wind up holding Harrenhall and Locke, while taking on the duties of Vargo Hoat, is some member from House Locke in Oldcastle, maybe Ser Donnel.

Or… what Holbac said, only with spoiler tags.

25. Tetsuo
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Rygar,

D&D make some questionable (some more than others) changes but at least, unlike Peter Jackson, they don’t mess too much with the spirit of the books. I still loathe PJ for transforming The Lord of the Ring into a bad recap of a good parody of some dungeons and dragons campaign with some nice landscapes and Orlando Bloom.

26. Set Dingleberry
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Definitely possible, Locke may also be under the command of Ser Gregor, assuming Jaimie and Brienne end up at Harrenhal they have to explain why this Locke character is in charge, could be The Mountain went raiding and left command to this character. Guess we’ll find out, if they cut out the mummers though, that will be disappointing
    Holbac,

27. Rygar
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Tetsuo,

My point being is a point that has been beat up to death and pissed on time and time and time and time and time and time again.

An adaptation is never exact. Changes must be made in order for the writer’s vision of the source material to be conveyed cohesively in a different medium.

Fuck balls.

28. M
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Rygar,

Yeah, and if people think those are bad changes, then they will say so. Just because an adaptation may require some changes doesn’t mean the people doing the adaptation are necessarily always making the right ones.

29. Tetsuo
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Rygar,

true, but the inherent inexactitude of an adaptation must not be used to dismiss all criticism regarding the deterioration of a known good story, and where D&D walk a thin line but mostly succeed, some other blatantly disrespect the original work, and we as fans have the right to criticise when we feel they are going to far.

30. Macha
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Cary Storm:

Or… what Holbac said, only with spoiler tags.

This is interesting, I was also wondering if his character has any ties with House Locke.
    I was never particularly attached to Vargo’s character so this doesn’t bother me one bit. On the contrary, the fact that we know Noah Taylor will play a similar character is awesome news. The confirmation of the bear scene having been filmed made me jump up and down with excitement. Oh goodie goodie.!

31. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Cary Storm:

Or… what Holbac said, only with spoiler tags.

I want to reply that it was in a conversation elsewhere that it was Macha who reminded me that there was a House Locke, and I should not take all the credit for myself.

32. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Mean25,

Oh this is embarrassing because what I meant to say is that her purist tears fill me with joy.

33. Macha
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Cary Storm,
    May you ever walk in the light of R’hllor, good sir.

34. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Mean25,

Oh this isembarrassing because what I meant to say is that her purist tears fill me with joy.

The White Walkers are fueled by the tears of purists. It’s what gives their eyes that blue.

35. Tír Airgid
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Noah Taylor is playing Vargo! Thish ish thplendid newth. A no, wait, scratch the lisp. And the name! It’s Locke now. :P

Seriously now… delighted with the news Taylor is in, intrigued about the Asoiaf Locke connection others have mentioned… but more importantly THE BEAR PIT scene!!! Can’t wait to see that.

36. Rygar
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

You have every right to cricitize! But what good does it do? How do you feel right now when you think about Locke? Happy? Loving? Caringly embracing this wonderful thing we are all sharing together?

37. Rygar
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

House Locke = Rhaegar. It is known.

38. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Cary Storm,

I thought it was the orange spice melange? ;-)

Geek joke.

39. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

The idea of Boltons instead of Bloody Mummers is very, very probable, IMO.
    Interesting and very practical (budget wise) decision.
    And I like it,

Because, I would rather hear the infamous “Jaime Lannister sends his regards”, than seeing Vargo Hoat on the screen, if I have to choose between the two.

40. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Holbac,

I agree 100% it’s paring down the complexities. Noah Taylor will do justice to the essence of Vargo.

41. Conor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

- Cool! Looks like Hoat, acts like Hoat but will not sound like Hoat. Therefore, Name Change :)
    – Steelshanks? Taking the place of a certain curved blade warrior?
    – Great! More play with her ass lines.
    – Nice.
    – Nice.
    – Awesome, I thought for sure that scene would be cut. You sure it’s still a bear? Assuming it’s CGI.
    – Cool. The only memorable thing about Edmure to me is that he’s a screw up, changing how he screws up doesn’t matter to me.

So excited now! More of these type of posts!

42. Nick Larter
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Yeah Bolton forces in the Mummers role makes a certain amount of sense, though I will miss Shagwell in his motley – would also explain Walton’s inclusion. As I recall, he also provides a small amount of balance to all things Bolton in ADWD.

As for the ruined mill at the lead mine, I was wondering if they could use it for Queenscrown exteriors, with a bit of CGI.I was hoping they might use Narrow Water Castle for Queenscrown.

43. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

A woman is delighted there is to be a bear pit, but thorry thereth to be no thappireth. Ah well, one less foreign country to deal with at that time when it could just confuse the viewers more. Ballth.

44. M
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I wish they would have kept Talisa from Volantis Jeyne from Westeros and kept Locke from Westeros Vargo from Qohor. Sometimes the things they do seem so random and unnecessary. They start things off on a sour note, even when the actors involved are people I have really liked in the past. However, I am very happy that there will be a bear pit and optimistic that there will also be a bear.

45. thisone
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

As long as Edmure reveals Robb’s plans to northern lords, the change shouldn’t be too problematic (it might not even be a change).

46. Michel
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

This will sound pourist, but WTF!? Why do change all the nomes ? Altough it would change nothing for the non readers or for the producores, for us (readers), it’s much more confortable listen to names like Jeyne and Vargo and no Talisa and Locke

47. Omar Brown
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Gah!!! You’d think the news would help make time go faster….NNNNOOPE!

48. Michel
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

And BTW, why do you thank that there will be no Brave Companions ? Vargo change of name doesn’t mean nothing

49. Rick Bingham
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

thanks for posting my pics from the Lead Mines :) photos probably don’t do it justice but the wooden buildings are well crafted with nicely treated wood.

Anyone interested in the location of these images here’s a google map ref http://goo.gl/maps/cFPIo

Rick

50. FlayedManofBK
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Noah Taylor as Vargo? Great news!

So if the Brave Companions are cut how does Qyburn fit in/get introduced? This is my only concern as I can’t even name another member of the Brave Companions.

51. Jim Cross
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Boy that guy looks sooo much like the hoat from my mind its crazy

52. Michael Johnson
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I actually think it is pretty easy to understand why they might change the name. Since they clearly felt that the lisp as translated to the screen runs the risk of being either ridiculous or offensive (or both), which would the audience prefer: a lisp-less Vargo Hoat, or a character who serves the same function but does not bear the name of the book’s character while lacking the most identifiable aspect of that character? Or, to put it more simply, what kind of complaints do they want to deal with from Book Purists: “Vargo Hoat doesn’t have a lisp! You suck!”…or…”That’s not Vargo Hoat! You suck!” At least with the second they can say, “You’re right. This is a new character named Locke who doesn’t have a lisp,” instead of “You’re right. That’s Vargo Hoat and we fundamentally altered his most recognizable character trait.” I, for one, would rather forget about Vargo Hoat entirely than spend all my time thinking about the fact that his lisp is gone. Let’s face it: Vargo Hoat is a book fan favorite, but he is a character whose main narrative function can easily be served by someone else.

53. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Michel,

In my opinion this is logic move: there is no time and space (and money)for both groups (Mummers and Boltons) in the TV show. So, they probably juste merged them.
    Bloody Mummers are much less important than Boltons for the future storylines.
    Though, everything is pure speculation by my part.

54. M
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Michael Johnson,

I think dropping the lisp is the kind of change most people can understand. I would much rather have a slightly different Vargo with his important character traits preserved than some new guy named Locke. It was the same with Jeyne. I think they have taken entirely the wrong message from some of the early criticism. The new names are really disruptive and in this case, seemingly really unnecessary.

55. Omar Brown
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Mean25,

Book purists really are the worst, calm down before you get a nosebleed.
    Who cares if they change the name? Vargo Hoat was always a terrible one…

56. Villane
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

If Taylor is playing Locke as a stand in for Hoat, the name change could have come at GRRM’s behest. In a recent interview, Martin said that he was the one that suggested changing Oona Chaplin’s character from Jeyne Westerling to Talisa from Volantis because the character was different, despite serving the same role in the plot. Maybe the same thing happened here. Locke will serve Hoat’s purpose, but since he’s loyal to Roose Bolton from the start or his backstory has been changed, they decided to change the character’s name as well to appease the big man. Making him Bolton’s bannerman makes an awful lot of sense since they are going to be getting in to House Bolton in a big way this season. The cruelty of the Boltons is something they may want to echo across the Theon/Ramsay and Jaime/Brienne storylines, in the same way it appears they’ll be echoing the warg part of the story across the Bran and Jon storylines (as it seems with the inclusion of Orell). Another reason for changing Hoat’s storyline may just be simplicity. In the book, he’s a foreigner in the service of the Lannisters, who then switches sides to save his skin, then cuts off Jaime’s hand. Roose later explains to Jaime the motives behind the de-handing. That’s a lot of screen time to dwell on Hoat’s motives and betrayals. We also wouldn’t have a reason for Hoat to leave the Lannister service, since he’s not established in Season II and Harrenhall will be changing hands in a different way. Either way, I hope the spirit of Hoat will remain. Taylor certainly looks the part and is a great actor as well. I wasn’t that fond of the changes made to Jeyne/Talisa. I totally agree with showing it. But having her from Volantis really stripped a lot of the drama out of the story of a young daughter from a Lannister friendly house banging the handsome young King in the North, then he feels honor bound to marry her. I really liked the idea of Robb losing all because of honor (the same as Ned) rather than love. Oh well. Super stoked for Taylor next season. They continue to nail the cast every year.

57. Omar Brown
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Villane,

Thank you Ser, well said…tho they will fall on deaf ears here I am afraid.

58. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

The only way this name change makes any sense is if they are in fact giving all of Vargo’s role to Ser Donnell Locke, under Roose Bolton’s command. Outside of that I really can’t see any reason for why they would change Vargo Hoat’s name.

59. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown,

Kind of like Omar Brown?

60. Omar Brown
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

dubq,

Of course *you* can’t think of “any” reason. Most of us know that adaptation is a very difficult and tricky thing, especially since this not a 100 page novella.
    Watch the finished season, and then complain till you are blue in the face.

61. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

dubq:

62. Kosis
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

The Brave Companians are not necessarily out though. Remember that Rorge and Biter have already appeared. They might have served their purpose already in the show… but maybe not.

63. Valyrian
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

They changed Vargo’s name so book purists cant say “HE has no lisp u ruined his character!”. I hate bitching book purists sometimes.

64. serum
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

dune is one of the best stories of all time!

65. Zack
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

The amount of good news in this post makes me very joyous. Primarily I’m just happy they filmed the bear pit scene, it’s going to be so good!

66. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown,

Where was I complaining? I’m talking about it making “sense” in terms of who is aligned with who and the events that happen due to those alliances. Read the comments fully and then you can reply til you’re blue in the face, “Omar Brown.”

67. Bad Dog
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Pleased to get Taylor in that role, sceptical about the name change. The lisp may be a memorable character trait, but in NÖ way an essential and defining one. But I’ll wait and find out how I feel about it in the completed series (for example, I don’t mind Kovarro, and giving the roles of Alayaya and Jacelyn Bywater to others, but I hate how they treated Qarth and the character of Sandor Clegane).

I suggest you guys do the same, wait and see before you panic and rant. All you’re accomplishing this way is feed the trolls who bitch at everyone they consider a “book purist”. You don’t want to prove them right, do you?

68. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm: Whether he’s Donnell Locke; or some heretofore undiscovered Locke, I’m fairly confident they picked someone associated with house Locke simply because of the Bolton connection; rather than just randomly throwing in the “Locke” name which doesn’t make any sense otherwise.

This is what I’m saying. It makes sense if they’re “giving” the stuff that Vargo does to this Locke character IF he’s Donnell. If he’s not Donnell and is just some random new non-book character – then why even change his name in the first place? This isn’t like an Ohsa/Asha/Yara situation where they feel that there is a group of idiot viewers who’d be confused at similar sounding names. ;)

…and I’m not complaining, FYI. In this particular case, I just want understand why it would be adapted that way. I actually prefer the adaptation of Jeyne Westerling into Talisa for the show as it obviously works and saves a lot of time in developing Robb’s character and explaining why he does the things he does.

69. Flouride
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

As it was with Season 2 news, these rumours about changes aren’t making me really excited. Especially not after I’ve witnessed the butchery to some of the storylines that season 2 offered us.
    Oh well, at least I will still have the books…

70. Coltaine777
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Ya I agree with many who are wondering about the name change from Vargo Hoat to Locke ? Why ? And sorry to see lisp removed , it’s what made Vargo unique and memorable

71. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Flouride:
    Oh well, at least I will still have the books…

72. Flouride
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

dubq: Careful. We’re not allowed to mention books here lest we be deemed “bitching book purists.”

73. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Flouride: Oh yeah, I forgot. We are supposed to act completely happy when they change things “for the better”.

Or even if you’re fine with the change, you still get reamed out for asking “why?” Gotta love the trolls.

74. LordStarkington
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

The removal of the lisp makes me a little sad but I can easily see that coming off poorly on TV where it works in a book. Vargo Hoat is meant to be funny, but also be taken seriously – on screen that might be difficult if his lisp was as strong as it is in the series. I don’t think this part of the change is detrimental at all, beyond losing an amusing part of a minor character.

As for the name change, I’ll wait and see. The Brave Companions continue to play a role in AFFC in Brienne’s story. ..that I have reservations about. Too early to tell, though.

Lastly, I wish we could stop pointing fingers one way or another at other fans w/regards to accusations about purism vs. “undermining the spirit of the novels”, etc. If I wanted to see people over-anxious to win internet arguments while fighting over details in this show, I’d post about it on Westeros.org.

75. The Young Wolf
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I REALLY hope this isn’t true. Tired of these unnecessary changes.

76. Josla
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Oh poor purists. How much they suffer!
    They want everything in the show the way they dreamed it in their air filled heads. I’m very happy with the changes, from the introduction of Ros (my only complaint is that she hasn’t become more important yet, I love her and you don’t know what to expect from her or her story), Talisa (phukyou Jeyne W) and all the other changes that keep things fresh and intriguing, I love them all. Why is a name change such a big deal? The books are the books and the show is the show. I love them both, and I like the fact that they’re not an exact reflection of each other. If they keep the essence of the story intact like they’ve been doing so far, why have we to be so nitpicking? It is unnecessary and utterly ridiculous in my opinion.

Very excited about the bear pit here. Hope they do something really cool with that

77. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Bloody Mummers are much less important than Boltons for the future storylines.
    Though, everything is pure speculation by my part.

Another point regarding this:

They appear to have invested a lot in populating the Brotherhood without Banners. They’ve cast not just Beric Dondarrian, but also Anguy, Thoros of Myr, probably Tom of Sevenstrings, and a few others. I would worry that the Brotherhood and the Bloody Mummers would be confusing – “Wait, which of the rag-tag bunch of weirdos is this? The ones with that freaky guy leading them, or the ones with that other freaky guy leading them?” Having Locke/Vargo – and Noah Taylor is seriously odd-looking so he’s good casting no matter what the name – serve this purpose, more than likely with a bunch of extras who are scary and freakish that serve as the “Bloody Mummers.”

This year people will have to start to learn who the crazy bunch that surrounds Mance Rayder are (more easy as Torvald Giantsbane, et al, are very distinct in their appearance), along with the Brotherhood, to say nothing of *possibly* more of Robb’s lords, and the Tully family. That’s a lot. So the Mummers can mostly go, with a couple of ugly stand-ins, methinks.

78. Matthew
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Vargo Hoat wouldn’t have translated well at all onto the screen. Glad they’re changing him somewhat for the show.

79. Flouride
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Is it nitpicking when they change certain storylines/characters quite dramatically? I’m not complaining because they change the books, I complain because they either change it for worse or totally for unnecessary reasons.
    I personally understand some of the changes, they make sense to me, but some of them are just so utterly stupid that I can’t wrap my head aroud them which makes me more worried everytime we hear new rumours about changes to the original storyline.

Most of all, it’s disappointment, because the show could be so much more and better.

80. axia777
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Ross:
    It sounds as though he will be Hoat in everything but name and I can live without the lisp – it’s fine in the books but would probably sound ridiculous on screen.Anyway, Taylor is for sure another great character actor and I’m sure he will make Locke the memorable minor villain everyone wants.

And GREAT that the bear pit is in.

It was supposed to be ridiculous even in the books. Jaime ripping Hoat for his lisp was hilarious. Why should it not be ridiculous on screen as well?

81. Josla
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Flouride,

I understand what you say but… wouldn’t be better to wait and see if the changes are for good or worst. You might be pleasantly surprised with these “changes”. Just saying.

82. Morrigan
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

dubq,

Don’t forget, any change is automatically good, because you see, “it’s an adaptation” and “the TV show is not the book!”, therefore, all decisions are automatically valid and correct and good writing, and if you say remotely otherwise, you are a whiny nerdy book purist (who probably lives in his momma’s basement) who doesn’t understand how adapting stuff works.

83. The Greatsteve
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Great tidbits. I dream of spring. Seems most of the casting is done now though I still do wonder about Edric Storm. He’s a key part of the ASOS Dragonstone storyline so I can’t imagine how they’ll make that storyline work without him.

84. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

The Greatsteve:

They will probably skip that storyline. Storm has not been cast.

85. Josla
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

My only fear is that they include the giants and the mammoths in the show. I totally loved Wun Wun in the books, but I feel that for the show it would be too much to bear. I’m ok with a little bit of fantasy, but too much will be too much. I’d rather have a very big person instead.

86. Nick Manfredi
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Josla,

Exactly.

How do some of you know the changes will be “worse” or” totally unnecessary” without even viewing the material in it’s context? Wait and see…than complain if you like. I’m certain D&D aren’t sitting there thinking, “Gee, how can we piss of this dedicated fan base?”

And then you know, there’s also that oh so minor little fact that this story is being told in an entirely different medium. I guess some fans just can’t accept that yet.

87. axia777
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I think I am going to ignore the fact that the show came from the books. In my mind they are two separate entities from here on out. It will be better than way. So much less disappointment that way.

88. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I think it is a bit early to complain about necessary and unecessary changes. Untill we see it on screen.
    I can completely understand the so called purist way of understanding things – those people just want to see the story they love faithfully transleted on screen

I can not say I liked every change producers did so far in S1 and S2, but I allways try to understand why they did it.
    And most of the changes were made due to the limited time and budget.
    So for the bits of info we got in this thread: I still think they are going to merge Mummers and Boltons men. And if true: it would be definitely due to the limited time and budget (Jaime and Brienne have to meet Mummers, then somehow they have to meet Boltons).

We know they already cast Qyburn, but Vargo was never mentionned as new character. We only saw a leaked audition that pointed to Vargo s role. On the other hand- I found few CV s for the minor roles – listed as Bolton s officers. And now Taylor is Locke – Bolton s man.
    So, instead of casting and paying another bunch of actors for Mummers they probably decided to merge them.

Something similar happened in S2 with Theon s storyarc – lots of stuff and characters merged and this part of the story worked just fine on screen, at least for me.

89. Flouride
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Nick, I was talking about the Season 2 changes. And the changes in Season 2 are what are making me worried that the changes on Season 3 will be for “worse” or “totally unnecessary” as well as you put it.

90. Bad Dog
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Westeros.org may be overly critical at times, but sadly, this site here is swarming with people who yell “book purist” if you voice the slightest doubt about something…
    Yes, I haven’t seen this Locke character yet. Therefore I said before, I reserve full judgement until I see him. Still, I can voice scepticism (not at the casting, mind you!).

91. Mean25
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I already know I’m not buying season 2 bluray set, and if season 3 is on the level of season 2 or worse, I’m dropping the show. We know that D&D don’t read fandom feedback or care for about our opinions, but I hope HBO will feel fan disappointment with season 2 dvd/bluray sales.

92. Nick Manfredi
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Flouride,

I can definitely understand that.

Right off the top of my head there were a few changes I disliked in Season 2:

– The merging of Jacelyn Bywater into Bronn’s role. While I felt it worked for the show and provided for some great on screen moments with Bronn and Tyrion, I still missed the character. To me, he was another asset in Tyrion’s war cabinet but also reveled that there were some semi-decent people in Kings Landing that were willing to work with him.
    – Brienne’s killing of the Stark men, more specifically the last one. I still hate watching that scene on subsequent repeat viewings. It just makes her come off as a sadist.
    – Dagmer betraying Theon.
    – Not enough emphasis being put on ‘Renly’s Ghost’ (which I’m sure will be mentioned in S3) and how quickly they ended the fight on the Blackwater. I still wish they used the big antlered helm, regardless of how impractical it would have been :(

I mean, and those are just a few mainly minor gripes. Leaving the Jeyne/Talisa issue alone.

I guess my point is, when I hear of a change I’m willing to say…”Ok, let’s see how the panes out” instead of instantly disavowing the show. Some I accept, some are a little harder to swallow.

Unless the Direwolfs were changed to chickens, and Tyrion instead used B52 bombers to save the Blackwater, I’m usually impartial towards changes until the season’s complete. It’s still the series I love and can’t wait for more.

93. Flouride
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Nick, I usually start my bitching about the changes few episodes in when I can actually form an opinion what seems to work and what doesn’t. That said, I usually do post on these topics how I’m not thrilled to hear about yet an another change to the original story. Maybe more now than pre-Season 2, back then it was only about the stupid name changes.

94. dubq
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Mean25:

Okay this is a bit much, IMO.

95. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I can take the name change (though I’ll think of Locke Lamora every time I see it) but I must admit the lost of the lisp will greatly sadden me. Probably a good idea in hindsight because it’ll be harder to understand him with it. All I ask for is one teeny “thapphireth”.

I don’t know why both sides are getting up in arms, we haven’t seen it play out on screen yet. Until then I must reserve judgement, and as always remain hopeful.

96. sunspear
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Speaking personally, I’ve liked all of the changes to the story so far, except for what they did to Jon in Season 2. This change with Hoat isn’t going to bother me much.

Tom O’ Sevens: They will probably skip that storyline. Storm has not been cast.

Cutting it entirely would give Stannis nothin to do all season. A lot of us think that they are going to merge Storm with Shireen.

97. NewJeffCT
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

My concern about Vargo Hoat becoming Donnel Locke, bannerman to Roose Bolton is when Locke (in place of Hoat) has Jamie’s hand chopped off, it really cut to the heart of Jamie’s manhood. However, having that done by a Bolton bannerman would mean to me – why would Tywin want to align with the folks who chopped his favorite son’s hand off? Hoat & the Mummers could be written off by Tywin as mercenaries who betrayed both him & Roose Bolton – but a house bannerman is different, IMHO.

98. Villane
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Mean25:

I’d say you represent a very, very small minority of fans. Look at the poll just below this comments section. 87% of people rated season 2 at 4 or 5 stars. Only 3% gave it a 1 or 2. I’d say that’s an overwhelming majority who think the show is great. We all have our quibbles (see my Jeyne/Talisa comments above), but many have been great changes. Arya/Tywin anyone?

And with the show’s overall viewership up, I’ll bet you anything that the Season 2 Blu-Ray is going to sell even better than season 1.

99. sunspear
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT:
    My concern about Vargo Hoat becoming Donnel Locke, bannerman to Roose Bolton is when Locke (in place of Hoat) has Jamie’s hand chopped off, it really cut to the heart of Jamie’s manhood.However, having that done by a Bolton bannerman would mean to me – why would Tywin want to align with the folks who chopped his favorite son’s hand off?Hoat & the Mummers could be written off by Tywin as mercenaries who betrayed both him & Roose Bolton – but a house bannerman is different, IMHO.

Bolton could spin it as his bannerman not knowing the plan and acting without his orders. And then they could tie it in with the way Clegane killed Hoat/Locke.

100. Lin Beifunk
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

ONE Locke Lamora reference in here?

Y’all are lame. :P

101. Carne
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Kristofer Hivju has also started shooting.

Nothing really interesting. He just says filming is going well.

102. Conor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Changes from the books to TV are inevitable and so far I’ve either liked or only mildly disliked them, except one. There is one that should never ever be in a scene of GOT again.

That ridiculous teenage comedy movie fart with generic fart sound.

God awful. I can live with no weasel soup etc…

I HATE childish jokes in a serious program. Not humor, I love that. Stupid jokes have no place in this show. Hope it never happens again.

103. Tom
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

You nerds can’t take any news as good news can you?

104. Ren Snow
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Having mixed feelings about this…

105. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

My feelings are simple. Noah Taylor is a truly great actor and he’s going to be fantastic. Losing the lisp of a minor character means little compared to the win of snagging someone of Taylor’s caliber.

106. Nezzer
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

sunspear:

I really hope they don’t do that. They would destroy Stannis’s character if he accepts the idea of burning his own daughter alive. People that don’t read the books would start to see him as a monster.

107. Atreyu
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

But Vargo has to have a lisp. HAS TO. Otherwise the prophesy in the House of the Undying makes no sense.

108. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

When we find out that Melisandre derives her powers from Fairies — then worry.

(I think ASOIAF fans have a lot to be grateful for over Sookie Stackhouse fans)

109. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

But if the Boltons don’t get ice blue eyes for me soon, the series is ruined for me… RUINED.

110. Macha
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Atreyu:

It makes sense, even without the lisp. Euron is warging the dusky woman. Duuh.

111. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Macha: It makes sense, even without the lisp. Euron is warging the dusky woman. Duuh.

Ugh, that’s just creepy.

Or hot. I’m not sure which.

112. MATTHEW
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Conor:

That ridiculous teenage comedy movie fart with generic fart sound.

God awful. I can live with no weasel soup etc…

Chaucer and Shakepseare and Dante all used fart jokes and they wrote some pretty “serious” stories. Fart jokes are part of what makes us human.

113. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Mean25,

If this was true we would never have gotten Sean Bean as Ned, Gwendoline as Brienne, and on and on. Many and more actors were cast because of fan suggestions.
    Just saying.

114. The mighty hodor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Why can’t they just call him vargo? Dude the comment section here would light up like new years eve if he didn’t have a lisp! Because you know the little details are the most important!

115. YvyB
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I LOVE fart jokes !

116. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Speaking as a book reader here…
    Find it very unnecessary to start complaining about something that hasn’t happened yet. It it happens and it stinks (like Robb’s reasoning for marrying Talisa) then go ahead and complain. But until then, just watch and wait, give them the benefit of the doubt.
    I LOVE this series!
    Also side note, I liked the two farting jokes, specially Dolorous Edd’s serious one.

117. Maester Victor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Goat or no goat… I’m just happy to have S3 coming!!!!

Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Gotta say, D&D really suck at renaming characters.

Yara… Talisa Maegyr (LOL brutal)… Locke (is this LOST?)… all terrible names, way worse than the original version.

119. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Lex,

But Locke is a name, in the series, of one of the characters. Donnell Locke is a bannerman of Robb Stark who by the end of ACoK is imprisoned by Clegane’s men in Harrenhall. So this complaint about the name is entirely invalid.

Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

The post implies that he’s Vargo Hoat with a name change. That’s what I’m basing my complaint on.

121. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Lex,

And if I’m not mistaken, I believe I heard a rumor that said that GRRM came up with Talisa’s name.

122. tysnow
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Carne,

That’s cool news, means they are in studio filming interior of Mance’s abode.

Seems that they are going the route of Locke being bannerman to Roose, like Fury says. Which means in the future, Jaimeboy will have vengeance in hand for Roose and Locke.

123. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

He’s filling the function of Vargo Hoat, anyway. The character’s personality may be entirely different. Who knows. I just know there’s no lisp and he’s doing Vargo’s part in terms of plot developments.

124. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Cary Storm,

The post implies that someone is fulfilling Hoat’s duties with the name of Locke. Since there is very little about the character of Donnell Locke in the novels, other than where he is, the writers are rather free to take him and put him in the Hoat role, which I’m sure occurs with GRRM’s blessing.

125. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Hivju was spotted in Belfast a month ago as well, as was Rose Leslie so they’ve been shooting wildling studio stuff all along.
    I imagine we’ll get fresh leaks when filming goes to Morocco and Iceland.

Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Hoat or not, the name Locke is bland and unmemorable compared to the original. Not that I care much either way. I’m just pointing out the fact that all the name changes so far have been for the worse.

127. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Lex,

One more thing, and then I’m done my flood of posts.

Yes, the name “Yara” sucks ballocks. And I hate it. Something needs to be done about that.

128. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Cary Storm,

Hoat or not, the name Locke is bland and unmemorable compared to the original.And once again, there’s the mistaken idea that GRRM has to give his blessing on any changes (he does not).

The fact that “Locke” is bland and unmemorable is further indication, at least to me, that the character already exists and is being appropriated rather than created new.

Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

I hope so. And it’s not even a bad name, it’s only bland in comparison to Vargo Hoat, which is an awesome name.

130. WildSeed
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Cary Storm,

I thought it was the orange spice melange? ;-)

Geek joke.

</blockquote

Nice recall, Joshua, I was thinking of Frank Herbert just yesterday. l’ll
    try not to move too far away from the dated post, but there is this :

” Once men turned their thinking over to machines , in the hope that this would set
    them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them “

131. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Fantastic confirmation. I love Noah Taylor (fond memories of the first time I watched Almost Famous).

Ours is the Fury,

What about Stephanie Blacker? Any leaks regarding her filming schedule? I’m not sold yet that she’s playing Val.

132. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

neither am I, that was just a possibility, along with Dalla, Kyra, a Craster daughter-wife, and lots of other minor female roles. She tweeted that she hung out with Iwan Rheon and Alfie Allen about a week ago, but then deleted it. So she’s been filming, but they’re filming every storyline lately so it doesn’t tell us much. This is her twitter.

133. Carne
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Cool! Haven’t heard anything about Hivju sightings! Was this via Twitter?

134. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Oh, can the Iwan/Alfie connection be a clue? Thanks for the info!

135. TheNed
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Can some one refresh me on what Hoat’s motive was forcutting off Jaime’s hand?

I seem to remember it tied into his previous Lannister allegiance somehow.

136. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

So says the OC bible anyway. The ambiguities of the Butlerian Jihad I tells ya!

137. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Sample dialogue from season 3 ;-)

Jaime: Don’t cut off my hand/rape Brienne!
    Locke: Don’t tell me what I can’t do!

138. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Carne,

No. It was someone staying at the hotel who spotted several cast members, and tipped us off. There weren’t any specifics though, so nothing worth reporting at the time.

EDIT: I went back and checked-it was actually about two weeks ago. They saw Ciarán Hinds, Rose Leslie, Mackenzie Crook, Kristofer Hivju, Tobias Menzies, Oona Chaplin, Clive Russell and Rory McCann in the hotel and around Belfast.

139. WildSeed
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Really nice Stills from yesterday plus more production news are tasty morsels to
    both ASOIAF readers and Viewers alike.

I’m indifferent to Vargo Hoat being cast , as I barely tolerated him or his band of
    misfits in the books. It will prove interesting on film, to see and hear his lisp tho.

As the GoT series nears, and readers allay their appetite by reading these posts, we
    decide one way or another that our passion for the story drives our desire.

Having read the series, I have reasonable expectations, not because I insist
    on 100% adaptation, but for the scope taken to create a great program. Unlike
    other worthy Hugo and Nebula award stories that were badly put to film, we have
    a industry insider ( GRRM ) at the helm ( or hailing distance ). There have been
    a several missteps with season 2 as there will be with upcoming seasons. Perfection
    is often an afterthought, when budgets and schedules impact the project. So far
    the project remains firmly rooted to the spirit of the books, I ‘m happy with that.

I do hope that labels like ” Book Purist ” and other diatribe gets scaled back as we
    move forward. It’s really distracting as to why we’re all here. It comes down to
    ” expectations ” since all have them, the labels just detract.

There are many knowledgeable folk here, some in the industry or closely related.
    It’s always a pleasure reading the differing perspectives.

140. WildSeed
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    WildSeed,

So says the OC bible anyway. The ambiguities of the Butlerian Jihad I tells ya!

Thanks Joshua, I see the Bene Gesserit Litanies are not wasted on you.
    Another quote that reminds me of today’s sentiment ( re: a few posters here ):

” Hope clouds observation ” ( Rev Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam / Dune ). To this
    I add, lets sit back and enjoy the show :D

141. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Lin Beifunk,

Haha, I know, what a fantastic series! I was shocked to see no one had mentioned it before me.

142. WildSeed
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror:
    Mean25,

Just saying.

I was quite surprised as well, to hear George RR Martin confirm Jason Momoas’s
    profile obtained from fan sites ( Comic Con 2012 Panel ).

143. Arturo
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Let’s see how these changes work out. Changes in S1 worked fine, I love this season. It is the best one and introduced me to this amazing world of Westeros.

In the other hand some changes in S2 definitely didn’t work. In my opinion, the worse ones being Arya not suffering in Harrenhall, Jon Snow/Ygritte/Qhorin interactions that lose the main spirit of this plot , and all Daenerys plot which I don’t want to remember.

In the good side, the season 2 finale set the pieces for season three and most characters status are the same as at the beginning of ASoS. Hopefully changes work this time, for good.

144. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Don’t have an issue with the Edmure scene because they need to start right away with building the tensions between him, Robb and Cat.

I can’t wait to watch the bear scene as that was one of my favorite moments from Jamie’s arc.

I was curious does anyone know if the actor who plays Walder Frey will be appearing next season ?

145. MoonCoffee
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

A lithpleth Vargo? Blathphemy!

146. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Dune is awesome. I have no doubt on Dune fansites people had exactly the same discussions over the years about changes in the mini-series/movie. How did people feel about David Lynch’s adaptstion? Generally I liked it. But the story was better told with the available time-length of the mini-series. And also they had reasonably better effects. Who was the Twin Peaks guy who played Paul Atreides? I loved him.

I’m really excited to hear about the bear pit.

Kristofer Hivyu’s post may sound boring because he probably cannot give away much detail on shooting. I wonder how things are being handled shooting with Kit on crutches. I’m hoping the broken leg will have motivated the writers (and Kit) to give Jon more emotional character building scenes and a little less action.

147. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

Kyle MacLachlan

148. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to post his name :)

149. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: I was quite surprised as well, to hear George RR Martin confirm Jason Momoas’s
    profile obtained from fan sites ( Comic Con 2012 Panel ).

They *do* listen to fan casting suggestions?

Let’s get the campaign started!!! Cast JAMES PUREFOY AS EURON GREYJOY

150. Cary Storm
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

The Lynch adaptation of Dune was memorable. I also liked the Sci-Fi Channel’s miniseries of Dune and Children of Dune, although it had its deficiencies as well.

151. Ser Lemoncakes
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

I had a lurid dream that sounded like this once! I kid! But I agree, I don’t care if Noah Taylor is playing Jeyne Westerling if he is on board. He’s the king of great, almost cameo roles these days-Lawless and Hatfield’s and McCoy’s to name just two. Also, as a bad lisper as a kid, I won’t miss this. Works on the page but not sure it’s so hilarious on screen.

152. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

I support this campaign !!!

Could we please also start a Oded Fehr for The Red Viper ?

153. Dan
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Ah, finally getting back to the debate over changes. It’s always a little more lively here when people are butting heads.

I don’t have much to say about the change because other people already voiced my opinion. If I had to guess why they are changing his name, I would say the people saying he’s going to be a Bolton man, and they are changing it because he is going to be from the north now, are right.

I always found the lisp annoying to read, and think it would be worse to listen to, so I’m glad they are taking it out.

I also think they should start the third season this Sunday because I’m already tired of waiting.

154. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

I am surprised nobody is talking about how Emilia Clarke is in the running for a role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

155. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Because it’s not really GoT news. The actors are always up for roles.

156. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Even so it’s still pretty cool to see her being talked about for a summer blockbuster.

157. WildSeed
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Cary Storm: They *do* listen to fan casting suggestions?

Let’s get the campaign started!!!Cast JAMES PUREFOY AS EURON GREYJOY

My name is WildSeed, and I approve this message.

the committee to elect James Purefoy . org

158. beewulf
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:11 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

WildSeed: My name is WildSeed, and I approve this message.

thecommittee to elect James Purefoy . org

Suddenly, I’m not interested in campaign finance reform…

Yes, Purefoy as Euron Greyjoy!

159. darquemode
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:31 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

The Greyjoy ticket of Purefoy and Stevenson would get my vote too.
    Long time advocate of their casting in those roles…..

I have imagined others in the roles (Mads and Lars Mikkelsen for example), and imagined Purefoy and Stevenson in other roles (Mance and Randyll Tarly for example), but I always come back to Purefoy and Stevenson as the Greyjoys.

160. Mean25
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 3:36 am | Permalink

Villane: I’d say you represent a very, very small minority of fans. Look at the poll just below this comments section. 87% of peoplerated season 2 at 4 or 5 stars. Only 3% gave it a 1 or 2.

161. hashblower420
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 3:45 am | Permalink

meh, a silly change really. I’ll be the first to shit all over a book purist but this is definitely an unnecessary change. Offending people with lisps? Really? Who the hell cares… This is HBO, not TV for the faint-hearted and easily offended. Hoat’s lisping is referenced several times throughout the story for comedic value.

Anyway, I don’t like this change. Come at be bro’s.

162. Blackfish Blues
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Is there anyone in Belfast who knows whether Clive Russell sports a beard or not? THESE are the important questions, dammit! Until I know how he looks, my fantasy is seriously limited. ^______^

163. WildSeed
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 5:01 am | Permalink

darquemode:
    WildSeed,

The Greyjoy ticket of Purefoy and Stevenson would get my vote too.
    Long time advocate of their casting in those roles…..

I agree with you. Purefoy had been my choice for other roles, but those have already
    been chosen. He may not be the best choice as Euron either. He’s a good pick for the
    series, especially to include in a significant role. I have high expectations for the
    portrayal of Randall Tarly ( Samwell’s dad ), for the moment I have issues
    visualising Purefoy as older Tarly. Perhaps, as you say, he’s best utilised as a Greyjoy.
    I still remember those Photo Stills that you forwarded, several months ago. That
    wig of raven curls nearly convinced me. He would have aced the portrayal of Mance
    Rayder.

Now ,Lars Mikkelson levels the playing field a bit more, he’s definitely a contender
    in GoT. I’d love to see him included in the cast.

The season 3 production is pacing along well, I’m happy to review the already chosen
    or future contenders. Today’s news of Hoat /Locke , and Steelshanks are just
    tidbits. I doubt their roles will be any more essential than (Captain America )
    Dontos. They’ll perform their tasks, then allow for larger stories to evolve.
    In the books, as you know, those g*dam Brave Companions were ever popping up.
    I won’t miss them much if the storyline is condensed. Just show me the bear :D

Do you think the QoT will have her motley fool ?

164. Carne
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 6:08 am | Permalink

The best way to get an actor on the show is to contact their agent about it. Write a bit about why you want this certain person in GoT, write down the characters he/she would fit for and descriptions of them all.

Here’s the easy way to do it.

1. If the agent/actor is UK based, go to Spotlight.

2. Type in the name of the actor and you’ll be given their agency as well as a contact email (for the agency). I suggest entering the agency site as there you can often find a direct email to the agent instead of the agency.

3. Write a good and informative email to the agent.

Not all agents have read the books or watched the show, so this is helpful for them as well. I suggest everyone to do this, because it can help a lot. I’ve contacted several agents myself and a lot of them have responded with “Thank you for the email, we’ll be sure have X in mind when the auditions start!”.

165. Macha
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Mean25: I would say that people on this site represent a small minority, so the poll isn’t really representative, it’s silly actually, almost 50% of fans say season 2 is 5/5, that’s just crazy, they live in a bubble.

I know, right? How silly of them to watch a show, like it for some reason (?!), then go to a fan site – of all places! – and vote on polls or defend it if they feel like it. Effin crazy, man. Could be contagious as well. You’d better make a run for it.

166. Tom
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: : Don’t cut off my hand/rape Brienne!

lol

167. Bad Dog
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Well, the people who really don’t like the show probably don’t visit this site. I doubt one can get a truly representative poll from the entire fandom. I voted 3/5, and I stand by that.

Man, I’m tired of overly zealous book readers bitching about any little detail beforehand (and I mean LITTLE detail, mind you! personally, I truly hated some of the changes in Season 2, while I was OK with some others), and more than tired of (mostly) non-readers bitching at anyone who has read the books and voices a doubt or criticism…

168. Chuck
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Mean25,

It’s silly? Why? Because the opinion differs from yours? It’s bizarre to say that the people on this site are in the minority in this instance – look at the ratings, look at other fan sites, look at TV message boards; Game of Thrones is popular whichever you look at it, and it’s critically acclaimed, and people like it. So I don’t really understand in what sense the opinion that the show is high quality is the “minority”.

169. tysnow
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Mean25,

Mean25, you live in a bubble of apathy, GoT has an IMDB rating of 9.4, it actually rose during season two and the metacritic score for season two is higher than season one.
    This means two things, the masses and the critics love season two more than the first, while I believe the hard core book fans opinion is lower for the second than the first.
    So in essence your silly opinion is fact a minor burp to the juggernaut that is the mass appeal pop culture show called Game of Thrones.

170. tysnow
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I forgot to mention that Nina grabbing Noah Taylor shows the attention GoT is getting from the actors point of view. When talent such as Taylor sign on for small roles, you know GoT is a must addition for their resume. Obviously the character name change is because Vargo (Locke) role is expanded and no longer resembles the original. This of course will happen when talent such as Noah is cast for such a minor, albeit fan favorite role.

Also hearing about Mance’s cadre already filming is awesome news, cannot wait to see Rose and Jon getting down and dirty.

171. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

On this topic I am surprised Westeros has not created a post on this matter. Maybe they don’t want the site to crash?

172. darquemode
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

I’m not sure she will…. sadly.
    I hope so though.

173. Jordan Healey
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

They love their retarded names don’t they. Another character concept probably ruined.

174. WildSeed
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Well struck, Ours is the Fury.

The cast and production news is great, hungry GoT fans agree. I believe we were
    responding positive for a while, even the complaints were minor. In fact, I’ll go on
    to say that the ” complaints ” were just people expressing their disappointment
    or questioning the move. It would appear that someone levied the dirty term
    ” Book Purist “, which later echoed by a few who took up the banner. The row
    smelled of Insult, which led to disparaging ( and outraged )posts. The
    escalation was inflamed further, by those few who picked up the torches.

I’m sure you discerned this already, it’s become a pattern, an unnecessary one.
    We’re all passionate about the ASOIAF books and GoT series, many with
    good intent and healthy expectation. The Report however is about the TV
    series. As my grandma would occasionally say, ” one monkey always try
    to ruin the show “.

175. WildSeed
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

darquemode:
    WildSeed,

I’m not sure she will…. sadly.
    I hope so though.

I discerned that the streamlining process would eliminate him. Too bad, there
    were captivating scenes with him included . It will definitely disappoint
    not seeing the QoT in action, using him as a screen. There were other
    comic effects too. The fools, Patchface and this one , know of many secrets and
    may not be as stupid as they seem.
    I think I’m reminded of ” King Lear”
    all of a sudden.

176. darquemode
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Indeed.
    The various fools are more than comic relief… they add intrigue and prophecy as well as comedy. Of course there is the creepy factor too since a couple of them are just disturbing XD

I’m not sure we need to see any of them, they certainly are not necessary to the plots, but so much of what makes GRRM’s work great to me are the details that are not necessarily required for the plot to advance…. They just add so much texture and nuance.

177. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

GRRM was the one who chose the name Talisa. Locke is an actual minor house from the books who are in service to house Bolton.

178. Cary Storm
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Jordan Healey,

179. World Dancer
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Alright, that guy looks just like Vargo Holt in my mind. I don’t mind about the character name change/downgrade because he’s not personally important to the story, but I”m glad they still aimed for someone who looked just right.

180. WildSeed
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm: People don’t seem to be getting that. Never mind it gets brought up again and again. I suppose that what other people have to say doesn’t matter.

I hear you Cary, you and Tyrion Pimpslap are absolutely correct on both points of
    Talisa’s and Locke names.

I think , on both sides of the coin, we fail to ascertain what the disappointment
    ( or bitchen’ ) is all about. Whatever the expectation was for fans, the executive
    decision for name or scene change had already been made.The fact that GRRM
    came up with Talisa’s naming was a nice touch, albeit a small contribution.
    The deviance may be insignificant, but the question arises of ” what difference
    of name substitution serve ” ? Was it really a necessity to change Osha’s name
    to “Asha” ? Do I perceive her any different because of that ? Did the change
    enrich the story at all ? It barely registered to me while watching, I just thought
    I heard wrong when it came up, as I am already familiar with her character from
    the books. To new viewers or fans, this was just another great introduction. In
    the end, it accomplished the goal of introducing her to the series. Yet still, was it
    necessary to do, the jury is still out on that. There’s been no shattering of the
    story plot with Yarra’s name, and possibly Locke’s, it’s just an interesting choice
    of name ( debatable to some , indifference for some ). I ‘m rather indifferent , as
    long as the story remains cohesive. The character Talisa remains an enigma, and
    I look forward to her story evolving over time. I’m also indifferent to that stupid
    lisp of Vargot Hoat’s. Can’t wait to sit back and enjoy another season of GoT :D

Don’t forget to lobby for Purefoy during the election season :D

181. Cary Storm
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen:
    Cary Storm,

I support this campaign !!!

Could we please also start a Oded Fehr for The Red Viper ?

If enough people go to Google and type in “James Purefoy as Euron Greyjoy”; then Google will begin to Autofill when people type his name. We can, of course, do the same for “Oded Fehr as The Red Viper”. Don’t forget “James Purefoy as Crow’s Eye”

182. WildSeed
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 1:59 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

I meant ( from above post ), substituting Asha’s name to Yarra. The Wildling,
    Osha, suffered no change of name.

183. loco73
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 3:38 am | Permalink

What I want to know…are we going to see the Queen Of Thorns with her Left and Right? Even though they are not needed it would be pretty funny…I mean Nina Gold could find some extras to fit the physical requirements…LOL

184. loco73
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Will Conan Stevens return as the Mountain That Rides for this season? Any more news? Ian Whyte was allright but Stevens trully is a mountain of a man, and I don’t know, he was filling that role better in my opinion…

PS Noah Taylor is a good actor, I especially think he did quite the job in the movie “Max”, not an easy role to tackle and not an easy character to inhabit.

185. Jordan Healey
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Fair enough.

I haven’t posted here in months or kept up with the news, my mouth remains quite bitter after Season 2.

I’m disappointed they aren’t attempting to bring Vargo to the screen, they always choose the safe option, and it’s annoying.

186. The Red Avenger
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 5:02 am | Permalink

187. Jordan Healey
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Your comment annoys me as much as mine annoys you

188. Mormegil
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Pretty sure going by what I recall of the audition script Vargo/Locke is remaining a Mercenary even if his new name suggests otherwise (that he’s an actual bannerman to Bolton).

189. Bad Dog
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 8:50 am | Permalink

The Red Avenger: Dear Book Purists – don’t watch the show if all you are going to do is bitch about it – that goes for any book to screen. You are never going to be happy so why bother telling us (had enough with book purists over Tolkien) – They are two completely different mediums – what works in a book does not always necessarily work on screen and vice versa. When you eventually realise that, you will be happier – until then let the rest of us enjoy he show as a show – there will always be the books.

Dear New Viewer [yep, I’m throwing the stereotype back because I’m tired of hearing of “book purists” whenever anyone voices the slightest criticism],

How about learning to differentiate? Most people have merely expressed scepticism over a change. That doesn’t mean they’re not enjoying the series. Does everybody have to yell “awesome” every time we get news of Season 3 just to prove they are fans? People here are passionate about the material, that’s why they’re here. I very much doubt anyone posting here hates the show, else they would be on westeros.org discussing the books and ignoring the show. Just look at the poll. A huge majority of those who come here very much enjoys the show.

And while in theory book and TV show are completely different media, in this case one is an adaption of the other, so it will always be compared. And people will always discuss if they like the way it was adapted or not. That you can’t get everything to work on screen is obvious, but that’s not an instant justification for every change. Take the Qarth storyline, for example. Yes, what happens in the book (that is, not very much) won’t serve well for adaption to screen. Therefore I think the introduction of the Spice King was a great idea. The changed House of the Undying visions was, for TV reasons, acceptable to me, though it was a pity. However, the whole conspiracy and coup d’etat thing was, in my (and many others’) humble opinion, very wooden and poorly executed, and also quite unnecessary. Get my point?
    (Same goes for the LOTR movies btw, since you brought them up: I love them, especially the extended version. I understand that they decided to cut the Scouring of the Shire part in the end, and that therefore Saruman and Gríma had to die in a different way. I would have cut the Tom Bombadil sequence myself, though it’s a shame about the barrow-wights. Still, there’s a few points I don’t like so much.)

So, a rather prominent and memorable villain from the books seems to have been changed. Of course people aren’t jubilant about it. What else do you expect? I’m sceptic myself, though I intend to wait and see how it plays out before I decide whether or not I like what they did with his character. I’m fairly sure the same holds true for pretty much everybody here who voiced criticism.

190. Nezzer
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Mormegil:

Well, the script could have been changed. On older interviews, Oona Chaplin said she was going to play Jeyne Westerling and not Talisa. If he’s going to be called Locke, I’d rather have him as a Bolton bannerman, and I think that’s more likely. Why Locke of all names when it’s the name of a Northern family?

191. Strong Belwas
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I hope I show up in season 3 BWA HA HA

192. bon
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

Oona in few interviews said that she is playing Jeyne, not Jeyne Westering. Everyone thought that would be Westerling girl, but it was not.

193. hashblower420
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Bad Dog,

you basically covered all my points in a better way. I wouldn’t bother though, if you’re not waving the D&D flag around here you’re just a book purist/hater with no valid opinions. I’ll reserve judgement until I actually see all the changes they’ve made to Hoat, but I see no reason dissenting opinions need to be met with such vitriol.

Westeros.org is way, way too negative about every change and this site is way, way too supportive of every little change. Too bad there’s nowhere for people with less extreme opinions to post without being met with rampant criticism.

194. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

hashblower420,

Are you thinking of the correct blog? Because there’s loads of criticism about the show from the commenters on this blog. And I haven’t seen any fighting about this book purist stuff in months, despite people having varying degrees of satisfaction with the show’s faithfulness to the source.

195. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted October 6, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Why do I get the feeling that Arya will be sent to assassinate Lady Stoneheart in the upcoming books?

196. Baramos
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

While I had already accepted that Hoat would probably lose his lisp, based on the leaked auditions we’ve seen, I have no idea why they feel his name had to be changed to Locke. Oh, well, maybe he can declaim on some philosophy, or solve the mystery of the mysterious hatch in the Kingswood.

1. […] Noah Taylor wurde als Locke gecastet und ersetzt die Rolle von Vargo Hoat. D.h. "Thapphireth!" wird […]

2. […] fascinating information comes from Winteriscoming.net who confirms that filming for the third season from Game of Thrones is rolling along full speed […]

3. […] 4, 2012 | By Mary SueWinter Is Comingby Rebecca Pahle | 2:10 pm, October 4th, 2012 A report at WinterIsComing.net has yielded some interesting rumors about season three of Game of Thrones, now filming in Croatia […]

4. […] Winteriscoming.net has recently reported some rumors about what we might see in Game Of Thrones’ highly anticipated third season.  Please be warned there are spoilers ahead! […]

5. […] repert at WinterIsComyun'.net has yieldd sum innerestN'rumers about seesen three o'Game o'Thrones, noe filmyun' n' Croatia and […]

6. […] scoprire uno dei nuovi personaggi e alcune anticipazioni in questo nostro approfondimento.Fonti WIC, Dubrovacki Vjesnik, Portal Oko, Blastr, WISTweetPin ItShare on TumblrAggiungi un commento Fare […]

7. […] WIC, Dubrovacki Vjesnik, Portal Oko, Blastr, WIS VN:F [1.9.7_1111]Grazie per il tuo voto!Rating: 0.0/10 […]

8. […] Taylor – Locke We have revealed, based on reports from various sources, that Noah Taylor will be playing the Vargo Hoat character. […]

9. […] think they would want to confirm. They also finally confirmed Noah Taylor as Locke, something we first reported a few months back. And yet, Burn Gorman’s involvement in the show and the character he plays is still shrouded […]