Day 92: Filming in Morocco begins, Iceland filming dates, and the filming of [spoiler]
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Rumors, Speculation.

Today’s filming update will conclude with some huge spoilers, so if you haven’t yet read A Storm of Swords, don’t click through!

We’ll start with some non-spoilery updates though. First, Emilia Clarke has stated through her Facebook page, that she is heading to Morocco today. We have heard that Iain Glen is heading to Morocco as well. This, combined with the fact that today is the last day of filming in Croatia, makes it sound like the crew will be packing up and heading straight to Morocco next.

Photo by Páll Stefánsson

Secondly, we have received some details on the filming in Iceland, courtesy of Iceland Review Online.

The crew of the popular U.S. television series Game of Thrones is expected to come to Iceland for filming in November, as they did last year. This time the scenes for the series will mostly be shot around Lake Mývatn in Northeast Iceland.

In November 2011, shooting mostly took place by Svínafellsjökull glacier in Southeast Iceland. However, as snowfall is more likely in the north, the crew decided on a different location this year, ruv.is reports.

Filming is scheduled between November 12 or 13 and November 27 or 28 and up to 70 Icelanders will be cast as extras. More than 200 people will work on the project.

SPOILERS below… Seriously, it is really spoilery. You have been warned!

Now on to the good stuff, we have heard through several reliable sources that they are filming the Red Wedding this week and next. They are starting with exterior scenes. A report from this morning has them filming at Saintfield Estate, so it is possible this location is being used to shoot the exteriors. Next week, they will move into the Paint Hall to film the wedding proper. This fits with Extras NI’s recent call for a medieval-looking male cellist, that must be available to film next week. If you are a cellist in Northern Ireland that fits this description, it might be time to learn the Rains of Castamere.

Lastly, we leave you with this spoilerific photo of Jaime and Brienne, confirming what we already had heard reports of… Jaime will be short a hand by the end of this season.

Winter Is Coming: The fact that they are taking almost two weeks to film the RW gives me hope that they will do it justice. It should be epic. And I can’t believe how fast they are filming. Croatia is done, the Northern Ireland stuff is drawing to a close (I’m guessing the RW will be the last major scene shot there). Just short stints in Morocco and Iceland left to shoot. Exciting!

1. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Oh boy just reading those two letters sends shivers down my spine.

2. Grace
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I cant believe their doing RW this season. They could have held it off for another season… :(
    Im seriously gonna lose my eye candy.

3. FicusFan
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Here’s the thing: They made such a Disney-fied abomination of season 2, I don’t really care about the RW. The only good thing is since she isn’t Jeyne, Talisa can go too.

4. pntrlqst
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Why can’t the scoop find out who is directing it?

5. Send my Regards
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

YES! the RW should be epic! I new it would be in this season !!!!. I bet my house we will see it in episode 9

6. Petra Foršek
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Epicness!!!

Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

pntrlqst:
    Why can’t the scoop find out who is directing it?

We should get that info soon. Stay tuned.

8. Anon
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Isn’t the director either David Nutter or Michelle Maclaren depending on which episode they put it in?

Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Efficient!

10. Conor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I got Chills. CAN NOT WAIT.

11. Caro H
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I felt shivers as well regarding the RW :( i think it will be in either episode 9 or 10. But which one would be better? To end the season with it or to have the last episode showing the reaction of everyone to it

Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

FicusFan:
    Here’s the thing:They made such a Disney-fied abomination of season 2, I don’t really care about the RW.The only good thing is since she isn’t Jeyne, Talisa can go too.

13. Pepi
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Any reports of David Bradley being present on set? So far we (or I, at least) still haven’t heard any confirmations. :/

14. Hollyoak
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

15. JamesL
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Honestly, I hate the arctic landscape they choose for the beyond the Wall stuff last year, it is just too plain looking. It doesn’t have a mysterious or creepy atmosphere because you can see for miles all around you. I was hoping they would film in some forests for Jons stuff with the Wildlings but it looks like from that picture it is going to be the same type of landscape as last year.

16. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

One thing I like about GOT/ASOIAF is at least it follows through unlike a certain emmy winning series. Homeland could have been really spectacular if they actually had Damien Lewis set off that bomb in the bunker

17. Jeff
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

FicusFan:

I agree Talisa should attend the RW… Jeyne/Talisa doesn’t really play a huge roll later at Riverrun so why not add one more to the RW?? I hope they do this

18. Sarah
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Those two letters make me want to really weep, as I was hoping for the other two letters plus two good characters…..I mean ………NO. Yes I have read the books but still I did want them to really put it off until the next series as an opener or just something else. My guess is that it will be ep 9 reaction ep 10.
    Since TWO weeks are being spent on this crucial scene I hope and feel it will do it justice.
    Its just so sad and I will end up in tears and a state of shock when I see it in all its “glory”

19. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Time to stock up on Tissues seeing as there will soon be a worldwide shortage.

20. axia777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

People are going to lose their shit. I mean really really lose it. They need to kill off Talisa as well at the RW as she is a made up character anyways. That will dig the dagger of sorrow even deeper to those not in the know.

I actually cried when I read the RW part in the book. I will sob most likely even though I know what is going down. This season is going to be heavy. But awesome.

Hollyoak: I really wonder how non-book-reading fans will react to the Red Wedding. First Ned then Rob? They might flip out and say they’re done with the show. I would never do that, of course, whether I had read the books or ot. If anything, it’s brave for a show to do such a thing. But you know a lot of viewers have grown up with books and movies where their heroes never die. And we know GRRM isn’t about that at all.

I have actually contemplated this same idea. Some people may stop watching because frankly the story is just to hard core for them to handle. Hell, my sister who is a huge fantasy book geek like me stopped reading the books because Ned lost his head.

Damn good thing she never go to the RW!!! HAR!!! She would have lost her shit right there. These are the reasons I love these books so much

21. Carne
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Pepi,

Most (if not all) of his scenes will be probably be interior, so no location shoots.

22. axia777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Why are you all even bothering to use spoiler blocks? If anyone is reading the comments then they made it past the SPOILERS part in the actual article.

Same thing is going to happen on Walking Dead this season as well. If they even go close the comics then some people with weaker stomachs may stop watching for good.

23. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

The RW didn’t crush as much as Ygritte’s death when I read that scene I had to put the book down for at least fifteen minutes to recover.

24. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Any confirmation on David Bradley?

Oh and even money says Burn Gorman is Wyman Or Black Walder Frey.

25. Amanda
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Not going to lie, I literally squealed with joy and got a stupid grin on my face when I read about RW *and* saw that super duper exciting picture on top of it! I love Book 3 more than words can say, and I am really confident that the show is going to do a fantastic job with it. :)

26. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Here’s a new article about Croatia filming, with two pics of Charles and Julian Glover. They’ve mislabeled Glover as James Cosmo. Interesting pics though. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2214647/On-set-Game-Thrones-HBO-series-underway-Croatia.html

27. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

FicusFan:

“Disney-fied”? Do tell… Seriously interested here.

28. axia777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets: “Disney-fied”? Do tell… Seriously interested here.

I know huh? What with all sex, murder, torture, robbing, killing, whoring, drunkenness, et all. If Disney movies were more like that I would watch a shit ton more Disney movies! HAR!!!

29. Conor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

“…but their was no mistaking James Cosmo and Charles Dance….”

lol lol lol

30. Bryan O'Grady
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets,

I think being “disney-fied” refers to the totally cliched story of Talisa and Rob…(GRRM probably rolled his eyes at the show’s handling of that one).

31. FicusFan
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Not in S2 they didn’t. The ‘death of the boys’, was done practically for a joke. You knew it wasn’t them, it was Disney-fied so as not to upset anyone. It should have been as harsh and shocking as Ned. But it was wasted.

They wanted an edgy property, and now they are afraid to let it be what it is. They have taken Arya and made her a waitress. Who knows what they will do with the RW and Madden’s 6 year contract extension.

Winter Is Coming: No matter what you may feel about last season, the show has managed to handle the major events really well (Ned’s beheading, Blackwater, etc.). I have faith they will nail the Red Wedding.

32. pntrlqst
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Anon,

Yep. And I’m hoping it is Michelle (ep.8).

33. Lin Beifunk
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

FicusFan,

Wait, what? They extended his contract that long? Did I miss something?

34. axia777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

FicusFan,

If they don’t kill off Rob at the RW I am going to be soooo pissed. That would freaking wreck the story. How would Lady Stoneheart happen? That would be travesty to say the least.

35. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Every actor has contracts with standard amounts of time, it doesn’t mean a thing. Seeing as they’re filming the RW for the next couple weeks, I don’t see what there is to be bothered by. Robb will be dead very soon.
    And if Game of Thrones is Disney-fied, I’d like someone to show me the deleted scene from Snow White where she fingerbangs the Evil Witch while Grumpy tells her to play with her arse. Really though.

36. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

BTW, Michelle MacLaren is directing the episode with the bear pit, which means that scene will fall within episode 7 or 8.

37. Quowala
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

FicusFan,

What disney films have you been watching? I have never seen a Disney film with x-rated sex scenes, incest and brutal murders…

From what I remember of Clash of Kings, they handled the seemingly dead Bran and Rickon pretty much the same in the series. And I much prefer the series telling of Robb falling in love. What struck you as ‘Disney’ struck me as Romeo & Juliet. Its got the whole forbidden love thing going on now which will make the RW that bit more tragic. In the book it just seemed like Robb had had sex with this girl on a whim then married her so as not to upset her.

Although series 2 did deviate from the book more than season 1 it was a far superior season.

And the Richard Madden 6 – year contract thing. That in no way means he is on for 6 years. They over-extend those things to ensure that he is definitely trapped in for the necessary time. In theory you could be released from a 20-year contract at any time.

38. Lin Beifunk
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Quowala,

Thank you for setting my mind at ease. I must be she of little faith — I was going through a scenario in my mind where Robb doesn’t bite the bullet just because the fans like him too much, the whole story is changed, purist backlash…I did not, however, know people could be released from contracts.

39. excalibur
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: We should get that info soon. Stay tuned.

I suspect D&D will direct it. It’s their favorite scene after all. They probably wrote the episode, too.

40. Nancy
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Grace, I feel the same way as you do. I would not have had a problem with it happening next season. I’ve been dreading seeing this on screen since the show was announced. And yes, I am shallow enough to admit that I will miss the eye candy. Sigh…a long depressed Eeyore sigh here.

I saw someone post on tumblr, by the way, that they are an extra for an important scene and that they got to talk to both Madden and David Bradley. Not sure how much stock you can put in a tumblr comment, but I am sure Bradley is on set or that part has been recast. If Madden did sign a 6 year contract, it probably was to make sure he would be around for the time that they would need him.

41. Jen@House Stark
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Jeff,

Hear, hear! Pretty please with sugar on top, have her there!

42. King Tommen
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

FicusFan,

I guess I missed out on the “joke” when they had Theon with crazed eyes stating that this would be the consequences of not obeying him as they unveiled the charred bodies of two little children with the Winterfell crowd gasping in horror and Luwin howling in despair while Theon got the “What have I done?” look in his eyes as the episode faded to black.

My sense of humour might not be as refined as yours though.

If you are referring to the fact that it was hard to convince the audience that those murders really happened, you’re probably right because unlike in books, tv and movie audiences have been conditioned to understand that if you don’t see major characters die on screen, then chances are pretty good that they aren’t really dead. That was always going to be an issue in dramatizing that particular aspect of the story because of the way it was written.

43. Jillybean
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

You really crack me up. Great observation – I don’t think Disney would allow someone to do that movie….. copyright infringement, and all of that. Naughty Snow White.

Really, really looking forward to my hubby seeing RW. He is going to flip. I have to sit there and try not give anything away. (wine could help – or hinder)

44. TC
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

FicusFan,

A “Disney-fied abomination”… really dude? really? not sure anyone, anywhere, on the planet you and i live on could have done better – but you are entitled to your opinion. I’d hate to cook for you too…”your souffle reminds me of rat vomit”….

45. TC
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

axia777,

ha ha ha! classic

46. The Black Crow
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

As much as I hope RW turns out amazing, they really did mess up the house of the undying, and I was really looking forward to that, so I’m tempering my expectations.

47. The Young Wolf
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Me after I read the report about the RW being filmed: “No, no no no no, no no no.” *runs away from computer*

48. HouseLark
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak:

I share your concern a little, and part of the problem is the producers failure to really understand Jon an Dany’s role in the story. The RW should be gut wrenching but ultimately the real protagonists of the story are all still in play. However, Jon and Dany are sideshows in the TV series which leaves Tyrion carrying the larger part or viewer’s emotional investment in the story, which is the thing that keeps people watching. In short, Jon and Dany’s storylines need to be promoted for the show to get past the RW and still retain viewed interest.

49. sjwenings
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I predicted long ago, that the mere mention of the RW actually being filmed would send chills down my spine, and though totally expected, it did exactly that. Seems a bit otherworldly we’ll actually get to behold that horror and wonder on the smallscreen. I’m almost as exited to see the reactions to it, as I am the scene(s) itself.

50. Premislaus
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Why are you people feeding the obvious trolls?

51. Pepi
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I’m a bit sceptical about D&D directiong RW, tho … If I’m not mistaken, it will be their directing debut and while I don’t necessary think, they’re not up to the task, I’d feel much safer, if they recruited a more seasoned director for it. Because it’s absolutely crucial to get it right (at least as far as I’m concerned).

Carne,

I think you’re right, ye. Did you ask his agents about it, btw? :D

52. Beane
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Considering the magnitude of the spoiler discussed here, it might be a good idea to edit the post to warn people about reading the comments.

53. Watson
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

D&D are definitely not directing it. We know it happens after episode 7 as GRRM has said this explicitly in interviews. And we also know who is directing each of the three episodes after that and D&D aren’t doing any of them.

54. Carne
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Pepi,

I’ve e-mailed his agent(s) 3-4 times over the last couple of months. No response. Not even a “I’m sorry, we’re not allowed to say anything” :(

Feel free to give it a try yourself. Contact info here: http://unitedagents.co.uk/david-bradley

55. pntrlqst
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

How many days are they expected to be shooting? More specifically, how long is everything expected to be filming that isn’t North of the Wall and Essos ?

56. Blood
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

HouseLark,

How would they make Jon or Dany more “the real protagonists” in S2 without making up a bunch new scenes, which they did already btw, or messing with the timeline? We don’t know how big their role will be in S3, but it seems pretty obvious they will have more to do.

57. The Rabbit
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Could someone please remind me of directors line-up for S3..
    I am totally out of it.

58. pntrlqst
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

D&D, Dan Minahan (1-2), Alex Graves, Michelle Maclaren (7-8), David Nutter (9-10), Alik Sakharov

59. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Blood,

Agreed you can tell that Jon and Dany’s stories are glacially paced for a reason. The writers true challenge will be to make the less interested viewers actually care for them.

60. The Rabbit
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

pntrlqst,

Thanks :)

61. King DBC
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I’m worried that they might replace David Bradley… I hope not!

62. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

King DBC,

I have given D & D a lot of slack on this show thus far, I have defended them wholeheartedly but if they unable to nab David Bradley it will be in my opinion their first epic fail.

63. Rk76
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

The only way heroes stay heroes is if they die as such. I’m ready for the RW al long as karma catches up with joffery I’m fine with it. I can do without the desacration of the northern kings body.

64. Morrigan
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

RW was heartbreaking in the books, but here I will be happy to see Rob go (but I’ll still be kinda sad at Catelyn’s death, even if they watered her down). I just hope against hope that Talissa will be part of the body count, though it will be odd to actually cheer at RW. Well, that’s D&D’s writing for you.

65. tweedie
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Yeah I too can confirm the reports about the filming in saintfield and that they will be shooting THAT scene (a friend is going to be involved as an extra). They are also going to be filming it in Toome, a location used in several scenes last season

66. Matt
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Oh. My. God.

67. Carne
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

tweedie,

Sweet! Let us know if you find out anything more :)

68. Dave Brownell
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Grace,

The RW is EXACTLY how i thought they would end the season. its how i split the book in half haha i threw the book and didnt touch it for a few weeks, so it makes sense to end it on that

69. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

A woman is happy to see that filming is progressing apace, and has mixed feelings that it appears that the RW will happen this season in one of the final episodes. It will be sad when it happens, and the filming/editing/staging will be crucial, so in that respect I am looking forward to seeing how D&D and co. handle the scenes of that event. However, it will be a sad day indeed for Team Stark. How they handle Talisa will also be pivotal, since if she is gone after the RW then we know she (Jeyne/Talisa) has no future role in the realm, and that would preclude her from returning in the unwritten books (perhaps). This would leave Winterfell in the hands of one of the other Stark children, and the big question for Team Stark would be…which one returns with an army to retrieve their birthright?In addition to the fascinating ramifications to the realm as a whole after this event, and the questions that remain regarding Dany, dragons, Stannis, Lannisters, and Jon Snow and how their moves effect the realms of Westeros and Essos – this story is far from over. This woman does not think that tv viewers will abandon the series due to the loss of any one character…the audience has continued to grow after S1 and through the end of S2, and the ASOIAF is rich with characters and plots for people to latch onto as favorites. The rich tapestry is what makes it so special IMO, not just the luster of one thread.

70. Dave Brownell
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

axia777,

LOL Your ‘HAR!!’s make me think of the beloved pirate character from Dodgeball XD

71. tweedie
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Loads of extras, many of them participating in stunt work. Rigorous rehearsals. They’re really pulling out all the stops

72. Carne
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

tweedie,

Do you know circa how many extras there will be?

73. Isabelle
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I am both anticipating and dreading RW–the very idea of seeing it play out on screen sends a chill down my spine, and I’ve gotten so attached to the actors, but at the same time, I really, really look forward to watching how they translate paper to screen. More than any specific image of what it’s “supposed” to look like, I have so many damned emotions attached to this part of the story, so it will certainly be an eventful tv night (lots of chocolate and cocktails will probably be involved). When watching these sorts of iconic scenes, I wonder if it’s better (and that’s the wrong word for it) to be completely in the dark about the whole thing, or to come in having read the source material, with a backpack full of emotions (and expectations).

On a different note, could you imagine what it must be like of be one of the writers/producers/directors right now? I’d imagine that they must be waking up this week thinking “holy sh*t, here we go. It’s finally time to shoot RW.” I hope we’ll be treated to some serious behind-the scenes footage/interviews about the lead-up and filming!!!

74. Nerd
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I sense a teaser trailer in the very near future. At the latest we will get one for the season finale of Boardwalk Empire. Fingers crossed.

75. Brian
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I’m going to be so incredibly disappointed if they can’t get David Bradley back. I mean, why cast him at all if he can’t show up for a scene or two in the third season? RW is possibly the most memorable moment in the series, and it would be an enormous disappointment to have one of its architects written out/recast/ignored.

76. The mighty hodor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I think the wedding is going to piss alot of people off..

77. axia777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Nerd:

Man o man do I hope so! That would be the blood pumping for sure.

Dave Brownell,

Loved that movie! HAR!!!

78. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I’ll be devastated when Cat dies. I love Michelle’s portrayal of her so much. I’ll feel for Talisa as well if she’s indeed present at the event. I didn’t love how they dealt with her subplot, but having her die at the RW will still be sad.

79. Conor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I know people are only “what if” -ing that Talisa might be killed off at the RW, and where originally I was against it because of the whole (Maybe) Jeyne baby after story in the books, if they ask George if that story is going anywhere and he says no then they should do it!

I just imagined Robb being hit with the arrows, Catelyn screaming, the drums pounding, Talisa running to Robb and holding him. Talisa crying and grabbing his face, “stay with me”, “Please Robb!” and then a soft voice from behind says very clearly…”Jaime lannister sends his regards” as the sword pierces through Robb’s back, into his heart and through into Talisa’s body too.OMG

80. Jacarb
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

So, do they include Clegane coming down with his axe as a cliff-hanger? I’m thinking that would be massive overkill…

Also, there’s no way Talisa is there. Robb’s entire reason for going is to mollify the Freys, and her presence would be one million percent antithetical to that.

81. Conor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Jacarb:

Also, there’s no way Talisa is there. Robb’s entire reason for goingis to mollify the Freys, and her presence would be one million percent antithetical to that.

I hope they do, would really mess non readers up.
    You’re probably right but it would be cool.

82. HouseLark
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Blood:
    HouseLark,

I agree about Dany, but They could have just told Jon’s story as it was in the book. Instead all we got was “Jon the dimwit” who does nothing but run a bit.

83. axia777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Conor:

That right there would SO EPIC it hurts my brains.

84. WildSeed
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I’m just excited for the tidbits, I could nibble all day.
    I hope the last scene with Robb and Cate is a profound acting moment.I want to
    be able to scream at my television ):

85. Elle
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I was really hoping they would leave the Red Wedding to season four. :(

86. Morgan King
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

I would’ve preferred it in Season 4, but it’s going to be one hell of an episode. I cannot wait for the non-reader responses to the unpredictable epic moments of this season!

87. mummer
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Jacarb,
    Totally agree on your second point. Unless they’ve entirely changed what that whole scene is about, it would be ridiculous for Robb and Cat to bring Talisa there. Give them credit for not being total idiots.

88. Conor
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

I wonder who they have playing Coldhands?

89. The Onion Knight
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

I am shocked that nobody on this website has brought up the fact that Patchface has been forgotten completely on the show. I remember last season being upset that he was left out more so than Ramsay or The Reeds. Having Shireen & Selyse yet no Patchface is very, very unsettling to me. I only hope they introduce Patchface when Davos is rotting in the Dragonstone cells and we introduce Shireen to the audience as a cloaked figure, visiting her favorite person among her father’s circle with a hunchback man giggling to himself, holding a lantern for her. I bring this up only because having known now that The Red Wedding is going to be Episode 9 this season. A let down they have completely neglected Jinglebells it would appear at this point as well. Hopefully when The Queen of Thorns is introduced she will have her Butter Bumps singing.

90. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Patchface has come up many many times. Just not in this post and comment thread.

91. FlayedManofBK
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

The Onion Knight,

Yeah, I wouldn’t hold my breath on any of those three characters being a part of the show.

92. Send my Regards
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Jacarb: do they include Clegane coming down with his axe as a cliff-hanger? I’m thinking that would be massive overkill…

Was anyone really fooled by that cliffhanger in the book? It was obvious to me that Clegane didn’t kill Arya after bringing her that far.. I was fooled by the fake Bran and Rickon deaths though :p

93. Brian
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

The Onion Knight,

I don’t know if Patchface would really be a worthwhile inclusion. The size of the cast is already overwhelming and he could be so easily cut, it seems like a no-brainer to remove him. Additionally, the writers would need to take the time to introduce him and explain his backstory. And even then, he doesn’t do much besides rattle off a few prophecies which the casual viewer probably wouldn’t even recognize the significance of.

On the other hand, it’s not like Stannis and Mel will have much to do on Dragonstone anyway…

94. Tereeza777
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Al Swearengen:

Really? But no more Brody means no more “Homeland” – right? Love Brody and love “Homeland”. Did you see last night’s episode – “Beirut Is Back” ? Awesome !!!

One thing though – Peter Dinklage and Mandy Patinkin (“Homeland’s” Saul Berenson) should have shared the Best Supporting Actor Emmy – maybe next year.

May I ask – why are you “spoilering” your “Homeland” comments?

95. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

All I can say is they better have Arya banging on the walls/doors outside struggling to get in. That would just milk the sadness. Instead of the axe they should just have Sandor dragging her off all slow-mo, no sound but the cellist playing. So many possibilities…

96. Carne
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink
  97. NicNic
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I’m already anticipating the Twitterverse explosion…

98. tysnow
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I believe they should have Arya running down the causeway, shouting as she approaches the twins, and Cat being backed out onto a balcony. Cat looks down and see’s her just as she is falling over the balustrade after being slashed. Arya glimpses a woman falling into the river (Arya has subconscious dreams in 4th season, because her brain notices the auburn hair of her mother).
    I like Instrumentalists’s idea of Hound dragging away a screaming Arya., as montage of RW is intercut with her.

99. tysnow
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

BTW, Patchface is not necessary to the plot of the show, Onion, especially a drama series.
    Most casual viewers would role their eyes and snicker.

100. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

tysnow:

A woman likes your cinematic sense. The only problem with that scenario is that there were also soldiers trying to kill them both at that time, so the Hound knocked Arya out so he could whisk her away without a struggle and escape the Freys too. Might be interesting if Arya sees somebody falling from the balcony with auburn hair, but if they play it like the book she’d then get struck from behind and KO’d to carry away. So many possibilities. Fun to speculate, I suspect the set available will determine which way they play it logistically and sequentially.

Has somebody heard that David Bradley will NOT be in S3 or is that speculation?

101. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

He’ll be there. At least one supposed extra has mentioned him. I wouldn’t worry about David Bradley.

102. Razza
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I’m wondering when is/ if Jaime going to shave his head?

103. Tír Airgid
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

tysnow:

Wow. I’m sold. I’m seeing it in my mind’s eye and an ominous sadness is creeping over me. I think it would work beautifully.

104. Greg Lane
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

Hey, I of argee with you there, from reading all the books beyond the wall for me it should be a cold creepy snow filled forest, like episdoe 1 of the show,
    Im suprised they didnt film it in Belgium snow filled forest.

105. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

The Red Wedding, I think, is going to be intense. If they are filming for two weeks, the scene will possibly be taking up three quarters of or an entire episode. Which I like. The idea of a montage could be great.

And please, pleeeaaaase people, for the love of God, stop complaining about Jon’s story line. It’s over and done with, nothing anyone can do about it. I don’t know where they would have found the screentime to film everything that happened in aCoK and who knows, maybe we’ll still be seeing some of that stuff go over into S3. They could possibly emphasize the ‘undercover brother’ motive with a dream or whatever. Just chill, ok? The arctic landscape works beautifully and the lake is appropriate since it’s also mentioned in the books that the wildlings take a swim in it to prove their bravery. It could also make for some beautiful “romantic” scenery.

106. armsbendback
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 12:55 am | Permalink

The House of Undying was a filming nightmare on many levels because of the amount of CGI that would be required to do a faithful and linear interpretation to the chapter in ACOK. In order to also include all the scenes necessary to make everyone happy AND find a way to include all the prophecy stuff, it would have required taking up close to 2/3 to 3/4 of a full episode. With Blackwater already getting a full episode(and massive chunk of the budget) there was just no way it was going to happen.

RW will be done incredibly. It will be season 3′s Blackwater in that it will blow people away and it will most likely take up an entire episode with all the stuff happening inside the castle, in the tents outside, and then the Arya/Clegane journey towards Riverrun. Its a literal and linear chapter, grounded in reality, boundaries, character interaction, mood, and music. It will be so much easier to pull off than the HOTU and so much more deserving of the full screen time of an episode.

107. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

JamesL,

YES I AGREE STRAID HILL PLANTATION

108. Arrrr
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 4:40 am | Permalink

As long as they don’t make Robb fight or something and they stay faithful to the book, I will enjoy it. Hell, I wouldn’t even care about that anachronic abomination called Talisa of Volantis.

109. Andrej
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 5:01 am | Permalink

Filming is scheduled between November 12 or 13 and November 27 or 28

I’ll be in Iceland around Myvatn area on from November 22 to 24 – should be interesting…

110. Michael Harper
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 5:35 am | Permalink

Razza,

Oh yeah, totally forgot all about that. Hope they keep that in.

I can’t remember, when does it occur in the book?

111. sjwenings
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 7:23 am | Permalink

As for Aryas role in the RW, I think they might make the non-readers think she’ll die too. I remember I did. Right after Robb and Cat were done for, I read about Arya, and skipping ahead to the end of the chapter to see if she died too and the “the axe took her in the back of the head”, made me think thats exactly what happened. Though, should they do something like that, I hope they just make viewers think she WILL die, rather than she actually does die, like they tried with Bran/Rickon and Tyrion. It’s a little bit overdone already.

112. Phil Norris
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Saw a tweet from Maisie Williams this morning saying she has a week of night shoots and then she’s done for S3. This kinda ties in that external filming is this week and internals (where Arya does not feature) are next.

113. valonqar
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 8:51 am | Permalink

114. Horry
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I could picture Talisa acting as an angel of revenge in stead of UndeadCat…..

115. Tom
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

FicusFan:

Are they going to kill off Talisa whatshername? I hope so

116. Tír Airgid
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Phil Norris:

Here’s the tweet. Carne also posted it above.

Maybe there’s some Autumn Winds ablowing?

117. tysnow
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Tom,

Are they going to kill off Talisa whatshername? I hope so.

Talisa is from Volantis, which is a featured city in season 5-6 and sending troops to fight Dany, could D&D be sending her home after this season to appear again when Tyrion arrives at Volantis?

118. Duff Man
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

We better get “Jamie Lannister sends his regards”

119. Quowala
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

What do you guys think the Red Wedding episode should be called?
    I guess just being called “The Red Wedding” would be a bit obvious and a bit spoilery for non-book fans.

120. Zack
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

When I read this part in the book it caught me completely off guard.

Fucking Freys.

I’m glad they’re being thorough with filming it, as the most memorable bit of the series deserves to have as great an episode as Blackwater at least.

121. Conor
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Michael Harper:
    Razza,

Oh yeah, totally forgot all about that. Hope they keep that in.

I can’t remember, when does it occur in the book?

It happens at pretty much the beginning of the book (Before the chop) so judging by the recent set pics that show him without the hand, it’s not happening, Unless they change the timeline.

122. Wastrel
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Disappointing. Yeah, yeah, I know they have to put it as the finale of the penultimate episode, because that’s just what TV shows always do. Every 10-15 episode drama series has to have its pelicanos episode, because that’s what everyone’s expecting, and you mustn’t dare do anything unexpected on TV.

Unfortunately, I’m now thinking about things through the lens of Homeland. And boy do I wish they had kept the RW for the second episode of season four. Preferably halfway through the episode. You know, where it might actually have an impact.

I guess the best I can hope for is for it to be the final scene of the season instead.

123. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

While the conventional wisdom would seem to be that RW is Episode 9, I do wonder if they make it the shock of all shocks that it comes in the last episode.

Think of it this way. Both Season 1-2 ended with serious “OMG” moments.

Season 1 was a rousing, “Shit’s gettin’ real now, yo” moment with the dragons.

Season 2 was a nightmare “OMG OMG WTF!!?!!!????!!?” with Three Blasts.

This would be another version of that. It’s the biggest surprise there is, a horror-fest tragedy, bringing the family together but not entirely. The things that happen that people don’t expect – even if we were conditioned to expect the unexpected with the death of Ned Stark.

It’s the ultimate end in despair. Boy king gone. His mother, gone. The war lost. The knowledge in the viewer’s mind that Joffrey ($#^%$!# Joffrey!!!!) is still alive, that Tywin is still alive, that Bran & Co are hopelessly searching for something way up north, that Danys is no closer to home.

124. KG
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Anon:

(Thinks vaguely) Didn’t Michelle McLaren have something to do with the X-Files?

125. Hodor2
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Can we please make sure the worst casting pick in history, Asha, is at the RW as well!

126. Quowala
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

KG,

Yeah she’s worked on the X Files and Breaking Bad. She’s done some amazing episodes of Breaking Bad (Massively recommended if you haven’t seen it)

127. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Conor,

It’s not going to happen, nor should it. It is not necessary to the story and I doubt NCW would want to shave his head.

128. Jaison Biagini
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

is that patchface or moon boy? with J & B? only a jester would wear a sweater like that!!

129. Jaison Biagini
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

JamesL,

have they really needed creepy yet? crastors keep was creepy and shrouded in fog. i willing to bet fog and night will roll in when anything is needed to be “creepy”

130. Shady_Grady
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I literally threw the book across the room when I read about The Red Wedding. I was also pretty upset about Grey Wind. I think that non-book readers will have equivalent reactions.

131. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I really hope they keep Catelyn as the last death in the RW like it was in the books. It was awful and sad. I don’t want to see Rob as the last man standing. It needs to be Cat.

132. Hmm
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I’ve got over the RW like 6 years ago, but I’ll never get over of being short of eye candy that Richard Madden is. :( Kit and his wooden acting just don’t suffice for me.

133. axia777
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Horry: could picture Talisa acting as an angel of revenge in stead of UndeadCat…..

That is the worst idea ever on this site. EVAR.

134. Game Of Thongs
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

135. Miss
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

Catelyn (aka the POV character, the character that GRRM included specifically because she is always ignored for the plentiful-to-the-point-of-redundant Robbs of the fictional world) definitely better be the star of the Red Wedding episode, not Robb. I’ve had to put up with too much sidelining and warping of Catelyn Stark in the name of precious hawttttie boy hero Robb Stark, I’m done with it.

136. axia777
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Game Of Thongs: I don’t know if killing Talisa at the RW is a wise thing to do since we have no idea what Jeyne Westerling is gonna do in book 6 and 7. Her actions might become significant to the story?

If she is really that important then they won’t kill her off. But I really can’t see Jeyne Westerling/Talisa being that pivotal to the on going story line.

137. Man from the North
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

@ Game of Thongs

I dont think GRRM have something in mind for Jayne Westerling.
    If he has something for her she be included in filming. My opinion.

Sorry for spelling.

138. Send my Regards
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

valonqar: I hope the last words of season 3 will be “No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair” (and then black screen). I don’t know how well this would work being said out loud, but I hope they don’t cut it because it’s such a wonderful quote imo. And then season 4 could start almost like Fire and Blood, having a parallel between Arya post-Ned’s death and Arya post-Catelyn’s death

Awful ending. Black screens are so stupid, this isn’t the Sopranos. D&D have the dignity of showing the viewers what actually happens

139. Quowala
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Send my Regards,

Black screens can be very effective if done properly (such as the Sopranos). I think series 3 should end with Lady Stoneheart lowering her hood then fade to black.

140. starksraven
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I think that they might shoot the third and fourth season all in one and then publish the two seasons with one year in between them? (at least they did that with the last two Harry Potter movies) does anyone have any information on that? because the RW is something that happens rather late in the book, doesn’t it?

141. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

KG,

Both Nutter and McClaren worked on the X Files. Nutter especially. McClaren came late into the series run and really didn’t contribute much to the show’s legacy. Her contribution to Breaking Bad’s legacy is a whole different kettle of fish.

142. Tenesmus
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I have thought all along that the season will begin with a “prologue”-ish scene of Sam walking through the remains of the NW camp and he runs into Cold Hands, then cut to Davos washing up on the rocks… Season will end with Zombie Cat CGI shot. EP 9 is RW, EP 10 is PW. sprinkle in T/S Wedding, Jaime’s hand getting lopped off, Davos and Theon in dungeons, Arya road trip and Hound action, Bran and the Reeds, and lots of Dorne forshadowing Will be an awesome year, can’t wait!

143. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Quowala:
    Send my Regards,

Lady Stoneheart probably won’t be seen until Season 4, since a woman recalls that Arya has a dream from her bed in the temple where Nymeria pulls a woman from the river, and that’s Stoneheart. So Arya has to be away before that happens if chronology is even vaguely to be observed. Though, let’s face it, that timing in the book is a little vague (how could Arya get across the waters and be in the temple in only 3 – 4 days?).

144. Tom Savage
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Is anyone else who’s like working out what events will go where in the seasons, slowly starting to realise how absolutely mental season 4 is going to be?

The first episode is likely to be the purple wedding and joffrey’s assassination, ending on the assassination. In Dany’s story theres all the siege and battle of meereen Jon’s story theres the seige of castle black, his arrest, the battle beyond the wall with stannis and his election to lord commander and then theres like Tyrion’s trial, mountain vs the viper, and then his release and murder of his father And Sansa, and Arya…

It’s going to blow peoples minds!!!

145. Delta1212
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Tom Savage,

I’m actually hoping that first one happens this season for various reasons.

146. Rk76
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

The season 4 speculation has completely overtaken my life….I think I need to find a support group..and the comedy here is there probably is one someplace.

147. Conor
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Tom Savage:

It’s going to blow peoples minds!!!

Just reading that and remembering what happens in the second half of book 3 has me excited and sad at the same time. Excited to see it all on screen and see the reactions of people I know who’ve never read the books.

Sad to know that some storyline’s this year (season 3) won’t get the progress the books make for a whole year after season 3 is finished :(
    Poor TV viewers are going to be dying to know what happens after season 3 ends.

148. Kosis
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Conor,

My guess is that you will see LOTS of casual viewers diving into the books after season 3. Spoiler alerts might not even be necessary next year.

149. Hmm
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

axia777,

Have you read the (mightily plausible) theory that she might be/might have been pregnant?

150. Tom Savage
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

I also hope they will end this season on on the purple wedding – Joffrey’s assassination and Tyrion’s arrest but I don’t think it will from what I’ve seen of news so far, unfortunately.

151. NewJeffCT
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

when I first read the Red Wedding in the book way back in 2000 or so, I was stunned. I’m an avid reader, but that was the first time I literally had my jaw drop while reading. And, I had expected something bad to happen – just not nearly anything that bad.

My biggest problem with Season 2 is that they made Jon look like an incompetent boob. In the books, he was already showing the makings of a strong leader by the end of book 2.

152. Morgan King
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

This is completely unrelated to the discussion, but I was checking out the bands opening for GoT-loving band The Sword on their winter tour and stumbled onto this gloriously cheesy 70s-style metal song on YouTube that is almost surely about Robert Baratheon by the band Gypsyhawk (though I could buy an argument that it’s about Aegon V, too). I just thought you guys might dig it:

I haven’t heard the album, but they’ve got a track on it called ‘The Red Wedding’ too – oddly right before what appears to be a cover of the painfully stupid Rock & Roll Hootchie Coo, but still… I love that GoT is having the musical reaction that LotR did in the late 60s/early 70s.

153. Send my Regards
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

I don’t think Sam has seen Benjen Stark yet. Maybe D&D will let Coldhands reveal himself to Sam but poor Sam wont realize its Benjen! lol. Assuming Cold Hands is Benjen Stark

154. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

The only thing is that that dream isn’t a subconscious dream, that’s her warging. It’s Nymeria (or Arya) who finds and drags her out of the water. I have to be honest, I want Cat’s death to be the same in the books, what with the “But Ned loves my hair!” All I need to hear is that line and the slit of a throat, and I’m done. It’s funny how much it could mirror Ned’s death, considering how they do it.

155. Jacarb
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Arya has the warg dream where she finds Cat’s body while she is traveling with el Hound (I had to check: ASoS 65). It’s also the first confirmation that her wolf dreams are real, not to mention finally convinces her that Cat is dead, so I’m not a fan of her seeing Cat fall out the window, subconsciously or not (props, though, it’s a great idea on a cinematic level). I’d be down with the last shot of the season being Beric giving his magic-life-fire-or-whatever to Lady Stoneheart. It would make sense timing-wise, since the show doesn’t do flashbacks, and it would be practical to get the Brotherhood wrapped up this season.

Edit: great minds, The Instrumentalist!

156. Jacarb
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Crap, I meant to say it would wrap up scenes for Beric, not the Brotherhood.

157. Rk76
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Who is gonna play Ramsay snow/Bolton ??

158. Morgan King
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Rk76,

All signs point to fan-favorite actor Iwan Rheon

159. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

FicusFan,

You have clearly never seen a Disney movie in your life. Perhaps that’s why you’re so bitter?

160. dmf
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

My thoughts on this have been that non-book readers reactions to it will be the same as mine when I read the book: I was upset but I wanted to keep reading to see who would revenge the events of the RW. GRRM does such a good job at creating multiple relatable characters. I think as long as there is still at least one viewers relate to, the RW will be shocking but the show will sustain viewership.

161. Marilyn Bones
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

I just hope the CGI for the RW is perfect …. that scene left me with nightmares

162. WildSeed
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

All this talk of filming in Iceland has me considering this upcoming PBS / NOVA
    special on swords ” Secrets of the Viking Sword “, airing 10 October ( wednes )
    ~ 9pm EST ( Atlantic ) on behalf of NOVA Science. I realize this is not about
    Iceland directly, but the ” Ulfberht” sword was really cutting edge and influenced
    many. I’m always thinking of the Thenns and Frostfangs as it may relate to
    the Vikings.

163. Sareeta
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe we’re already at the point of the RW, but in a way, I’m hoping to get it over with sooner rather than later. I think it would be interesting to first kill Joffrey, then Balon, and then have Robb and Cat killed towards the end of the season. I think the non-readers will be on such an emotional roller coaster that way (thrilled about Joff, happy about Balon…devastated about Robb and Cat Just like with Ned, I think I will be dreading watching that scene.

164. sbab20
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

See, this is why I prefer the PW as the ending cliffhanger. You have the big downer of the RW and a scene of Tywin gloating over his victory. You have Joffrey at his most ‘triumphant,’ thinking he’s invincible and mocking fan favorite Tyrion and throwing her family’s death in Sansa’s face, hitting a new low even for him. Then, you tease the viewer with justice as Joffrey dies. Just as the satisfied fist pumps start, you yank the rug out from under the reader and end on Cersei’s “Take them! Take them both!” as the viewers’ satisfaction turns to concern for Tyrion and Sansa. Then you make them wait a year for the answer.

It’s a perfect chaotic emotional roller coaster of a cliffhanger. Not an entirely downer ending like the RW would be. It would help a ton with the concerns that viewers might find the RW ‘too much’ if they get some measure of revenge on Joffrey.

As for all the people saying you can’t do the PW without Oberyn Martell, I think they could easily have him show up after the PW and be a judge at Tyrion’s trial without screwing up the overall plot too much. I don’t think his function in the plot necessarily requires that he be present at the wedding itself.

I do agree, though, that it looks at this point like it’s not happening that way.

165. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Jacarb:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

Edit: great minds, The Instrumentalist!

A woman thanks you for your clarification, the dreams all mash together sometimes and the chronology can be scrambled easily. Makes sense now!

166. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Am I the only one that would like this season to begin showing us what the hell happened after the ironborn treasoned Theon?

On a sidenote… I think I found the perfect Lord Manderly…
    You may remember him as the “news guy” at the Forum in Rome, Baron Harkonen in Dune (tv) and… Illyrio Mopatis (in the pilot episode).
    I would really like to see this guy back!

167. Cary Storm
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,

I know exactly who you’re talking about. Don’t forget he also played Winston Churchill in Doctor Who. I would certainly like to see him in the series, although I’m trying to decide whether I think he’s Manderly or not. Luckily I’m right at that chapter in ADWD again…I’ll let you know.

168. Chickenduck
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Cary Storm,
    Bannerless Bro,

Great one! I hadn’t thought of him.

In my head when reading Manderly, my brain initially imagined him as being variously Richard Griffiths or a fatter version of Jim Broadbent. I think Griffiths is the obvious fan choice.

But McNeice would rock. Vogons and whatnot.

169. Currer Bell
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 3:23 am | Permalink

To include the BW, RW, and PW at the end of S3 would make a perfect series finale. S4 could then face beginning as a sequel, and we all know what disappointments sequels can be. Carry the PW over to S4 to hook the viewers back into the story.

170. Colty
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Currer Bell,

What is the PW and BW?

171. Chickenduck
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Colty:
    Currer Bell,

What is the PW and BW?

The PW aka Purple Wedding is the marriage of Joffrey to Margaery, where Joff turns purple and dies, whereas the BW aka Blue Wedding is the much earlier wedding of Sansa and Tyrion.

172. Matt Chung
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Of course, I’m being silly (not really). The alternative is for Season 3 to end just as chaos begins to set in as Joffrey dies. That way we can have S4 open up amidst the chaos of the PW?

173. Lexyvil
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Great to know more about the production. But I’m still eager to know if David Bradley will come back to fulfill what is to come. (It’s a must!)

174. Duff Man
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Matt Chung: Given that it looks like RW will be in episode 9, I think it’d be far too soon to have PW straight afterwards. What would be a cool ending, IMO, is a bunch of aftermath-y stuff happening in the episode after RW. The 2nd last scene is of Arya having the dream about finding Cat’s body. Scene transitions out of the dream and into what’s actually happening–Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr (assuming they’re still in) finding Cat’s body, and making some cryptic, vague dialogue about resurrecting her. Beric gets down and revives Cat, then, IDK, collapses with nothing happening? Thoros goes over to check and then BANG CAT’S ALIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!1111

If episode 9 includes the RW then bringing Cat back in episode 10 would be a huge cop out and would completely take away from the impact of the RW. You don’t learn about Catelyn’s fate until the end of ASOS so why would you want to bring her back after immediately killing her off.

175. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink

sbab20,

I like those thoughts as well. I don’t know that it’ll happen that way. I like the idea of surprises, though, and I wonder if you end with RW — and you get a full year of despair, and you wait for something good. And then Season 4 opens – bang – with PW, and Tyrion’s arrest, and it sets a lot of that season in motion, which encompass the death of Lysa Arryn, Tyrion’s time in jail and escape, the introduction of the Martells, the beginning of Cersei’s downfall and Jaime’s redemption. And like a long, slow, cold revenge dish, you end Season 4 – not 3 – with the appearance of Lady Stoneheart, in what becomes (again) the ultimate OMG WTF!#^!$#$!#!!! moment.

176. Abyss
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

OT:

Found video interviews with Laura Pradelska (Quaithe) and Ian Hanmore (Pyat Pree).
    No spoilers as far as I can see. Laura Pradelska says that Quaithe and Melisandre are from the same family, but I guess that’s just a slip on her part and she meant, that they are from the same area.

177. Game Of Thongs
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I agree that Lady Stoneheart should make her appearance in Season 4 and not a few episodes after the RW episode, thus lessening the impact of Cat’s death

I also feel that having Joffrey’s wedding in Season 3 would be overkill. Having it in early season 4 would be ideal imo

But thats just me

178. sunspear
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Jacarb,

I definitely don’t think they should bring Cat back that earlier. My idea was to have Arya and the Hound find Cat’s body themselves, then have to run off when they hear people coming. Then sometime in late season 4, UnCat reveals herself.

On a side note, I still think that the Red Viper is going to be in this season. Leaving him to show up just before PW is going to mess with the timeline, and deprive us of his awesomeness.

179. sunspear
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Game Of Thongs,

I personnally would have like to have PW in this season, but I suppose that delaying it will make season 4 a lot better. Plus it was going to be hard to fit that much content into one season.

180. Conor
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Personally I would like the PW to be ep 10 this season to make this season the greatest season of TV ever, but I would also like it in season 4 so that the Red Viper can be introduced etc… It’s a difficult one. If it was to be in Season 3 they could advertise it as the year of the wedding, then non readers would get to ep8 and be like “What’s so good about this wedding?”, then ep9 “Oh my god, my heart! I hate weddings!” or ep10 “Fuck yeah! Weddings!”

I also think Lady Stoneheart should be saved for Season 4, having her appear one episode after her death would be bleh…and even though it will show her dying it would be just like Bran and Rickon last season, too short a time to have an effect.

181. Jeremy
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Send my Regards:

I like the theory that Coldhands is the Night’s King from Old Nan’s stories.

182. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

sunspear:
    Jacarb,

Maybe Burn Gorman is playing the Red Viper?

183. axia777
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Hmm:
    axia777,

Yeah, I know. I guess we shall see what happens when the next book comes out. :D Personally I think Jeyne is pregnant but she is going to die in child birth or get killed before the baby is born. There is just not enough time in the next two books for Robb’s kid to make a difference for Clan Stark.

184. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I still think Talisa may be Jeyne Westerling in disguise. Do you remember that episode where Cat arrives to Robb’s camp? Talisa is writing something. She teases Robb telling him that she may be writing a letter to Lord Tywin… then next episode Tywin gets a letter with info about Robb’s movements. Correct me if I’m wrong… but what if Talisa is indeed an informant of Tywin?

185. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,

Not to mention the glances Bolton and her share.

186. R
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

The landscape around Mývatn is quite different from where they shot last year. And close to it are forests, geothermal springs, canyons, gigantic waterfalls and so on. They could do a variety of things up there.

187. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink
  188. Chickenduck
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Bannerless Bro:

I thought this also when I first saw it. Maybe the idea is that she was genuinely Jayne Westerling, sent originally to be a mole, but then legitimately fell in love with him. Plus there are lines to the effect of you aren’t who you say you are. Either way, it wouldn’t surprise me if she turned out to play a much more significant role than the book-reading purists currently assume.

189. Chickenduck
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Regards which weddings will be in the season, am I correct in interpreting the leaked set reports, tweets etc. that there has only been one filmed (blue) and one to come (red)?

So the evidence would suggest that the purple one won’t take place until S4. Or have I missed some major information?

P.S. Burn Gorman = RV

190. Watson
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Well before the specific reports of the two recent weddings was this report of a scene being filmed involving 300 extras and women in updo hairstyles. Someone later tweeted that there had been cake as well.

191. sjwenings
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

Blue has been filmed. Red is filmed this and next week, and we assume Purple is s4.

192. sbab20
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,
    Given the Maggy the Frog/Westerling family connection, there’s also precedent for her to look foreign and still be part of a Westerosi noble family. Good call.

193. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

So if Talisa is Jeyne Westerling as a spy (we first meet her in Bolton’s company, the letter she was writing, the mention of the Crag, her furtive glances to Bolton) then it safe to assume that this is D and D’s solution to the Jeyne Poole problem. If she is preggers with Robb’s baby then Roose can have her marry Ramsay so he will be ward to the heir of Winterfell instead of a fake Arya and Talisa will escape with Theon come ADWD.

Crazy? Yes? No?

194. WildSeed
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Vous estes fous, ser Joshua . You guys are crazy, but I admit the idea is plausible.

195. sbab20
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Less crazy than unnecessary. They just need to have the Lannisters send men to find a girl who looks like Arya. It doesn’t necessarily have to be Jeyne Poole or anyone with a preexisting connection to the Starks.

In fact, the more obvious it is that the girl isn’t Arya the better the storyline plays as long as the basic resemblance is there. The actual plan hinges less on people actually being fooled by fake Arya and more on no one being willing to step up and challenge her legitimacy. A random girl being used plays that angle up even more so long as she has the basic characteristics and is/passes for Northern.

196. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

sbab20:
    Joshua Taylor,

Less crazy than unnecessary.They just need to have the Lannisters send men to find a girl who looks like Arya.It doesn’t necessarily have to be Jeyne Poole or anyone with a preexisting connection to the Starks.

In fact, the more obvious it is that the girl isn’t Arya the better the storyline plays as long as the basic resemblance is there.The actual plan hinges less on people actually being fooled by fake Arya and more on no one being willing to step up and challenge her legitimacy.A random girl being used plays that angle up even more so long as she has the basic characteristics and is/passes for Northern.

Or it could be the mother of the heir of Winterfell. Pretty obvious if you think about it. Your trying to hard to insert another storyline from the books into the series. Why go with the Arya angle when they have a simple solution?

197. sbab20
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,
    The big problem is that if the pregnant-Jeyne theory is true, that would certainly mean Martin has a specific plan for that later. By using her instead of fake Arya, you would unnecessarily screw up whatever those plans are. If she’s not pregnant, then marrying her would do nothing for Ramsay. It’s not a bad idea, I just think it would mess up other stuff down the line.

198. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

sbab20,

True. We will have to see.

199. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

It would work, but sadly Tal is not pale-skinned, nor has northern accent, so it wouldn’t fool anyone to fake her as Arya. On the other hand, they could still marry Ramsay to her, while being the mother of the Heir of Winterfell, but tht screws up all the northern lords conspiracy of the later books. Too much divergence, I think it is safe to assume that Tal will be kept as a spy till the last minute, and after the RW she will be Jeyne again.

200. Benoit Massart
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

So boys and girls, I was reading this interview GRRM recently and that’s what he said about the episode he wrote for season 3:

“Yes, I wrote the 7th episode (3×07), called ‘Autumn Storms’. I know the title is not as brilliant as ‘Blackwater’ (2×09), which was certainly good, but it was the best name I could come up with. At least, there are a number of autumn storms and it’s raining a lot in that chapter… [Laughs].”

For me, it clearly means that it will be the RW, what else??? When I read he would write the episode 7, I was disappointed at firest, as I was hoping he would write one of the last episode, suppositely the RW episode… But now, with him stating THAT, what else can it be? Maybe we will have some dragon action at the end of season 2 as well, like in episode 9, or 10 (as they like to put dragon actions in episodes 10 it seems).

What do you think GRRM understated with that sentence? Which Reynes is he talking about?

201. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Benoit Massart:

GRRM has stated various times that he didn’t write the episode for the RW as it was too painful for him

202. sbab20
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Benoit Massart,

It’s generally believed that the big action of his episode will be Queenscrown, I believe. The Autumn Rains referring to the ominous rain that begins before the RW. The RW itself is probably episode 8.

203. Obosi
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Tarrantino should direct the episode with the RW!

204. axia777
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Obosi:
    Tarrantino should direct the episode with the RW!

That would be just crazy. But in a sick way it just might work.

205. dubq
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

FicusFan:

What a crybaby. I’m a supposed “bitching book purist” and even I didn’t have that much of a problem with any of the changes in season 2. To call it Disney-fied is just a ridiculous amount of “internet hyperbole” that it makes you look/sound comical.

206. dubq
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Quowala:
    FicusFan,

Not only that but the extension is with HBO. That means they probably realize what a huge fan base this actor has and are tapping him for other shows on the network, which is a smart move, IMO.

207. David
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Matt Chung,

That is exactly how I picture it too.

208. hashblower420
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 9:43 am | Permalink

They better make it as brutal as humanly possible. I really don’t care if some people quit watching, this is one of the most pivotal moments in the entire series.

And I’m gonna revel in every second of Cat’s death. Kinda hope they don’t include Jinglebells though or at least make it so the bitch dies before she can slit the poor guy’s throat.

209. Britni
    Posted October 31, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Forget about when Robb or Engrit or even Jeoffry die. I almost lost it when Jon was betrayed. Hell I almost threw the book out my balcony I was so shocked. Not to mention the Booltons. I’m almost nervous about how much of “Arya’s Wedding” and “Reeks” new life HBO will get away with.

210. Winturd
    Posted October 31, 2012 at 5:00 am | Permalink

Britni,

same here.. but who said he’s dead? he could’ve been hit with the “blunt end” of the dagger.. the daggers could have missed any major organs [hard to say for the one between the shoulder blades.. although Jon cannot see his back so he may have just been punched there :)].. plus melissandre’s vision [in her POV chapter] saw “Snow” become a wolf and then turn back into “Snow” so maybe he never gets a mortal wound.. he wargs into Ghost.. his body goes limp.. people think he’s dead so they leave him be.. then he returns into his body later.. also.. theres a chance that Melissandre can breathe fire into him [like Beric] so that he can be “reborn as Azor Azhai”.. the possibilities are endless..

211. Bonnie
    Posted November 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,

That’s totally what I was thinking. I hate to think it, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they had Talisa turn out to be a back-stabber. I don’t necessarily think that Talisa’s real name is “Jeyne Westerling”, because all they really need is someone to step in and be that traitor to Robb. Plus, since this Talisa character is a healer/medical person, she can concoct and feed herself contraceptives. She doesn’t need a conniving mother to secretly do it for her, making it one less person the show has to hire and introduce.

On the other hand, the story between them is so romantic and so untraitor-like that (if Talisa does turn out to be a traitor) I think she really does fall in love with Robb.

212. Andrew Robinson
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Jeff, the only problem with Talisa attending the Red Wedding would be that the whole story of the Lannisters/Freys holding her captive incase she has “A wolf in her tummy” as they all put it.

1. [...] sitio winteriscoming.net informa que el rodaje de la Boda Roja se llevaría a cabo durante esta y la próxima semana. [...]

2. [...] Winteriscoming‘s reliable sources report that the very important Red Wedding scene from the third book, A [...]

3. [...] questions of Season 3, will we or won’t we see The Red Wedding? Sounds like we will as WinterIsComing.net reports,Now on to the good stuff, we have heard through several reliable sources that they are [...]

4. [...] speaking of spoilers: …we have heard through several reliable sources that they are filming the Red Wedding this [...]

5. [...] WIC, Dubrovacki Vjesnik, Portal Oko, Blastr, WIS VN:F [1.9.7_1111]Grazie per il tuo voto!Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast) Tags: Gallery Articoli [...]

6. [...] Contrary to what was originally reported, Cat has tweeted that they will be heading to Iceland in only 4 days. Either they moved up the [...]