MGoT: Somebody Call Stannis a Tow-Truck
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming.

Photo credit: Helen Sloan

A new blog post from Cat Taylor shares with us the difficulties of filming a beach scene with Stannis and Melisandre.

It’s Friday morning and we are on the beach below Ballintoy Harbour. In the time that has passed since we filmed here last year, several meters of sand have been washed away from the tideline and the cove seems more intimate, perhaps fittingly for the scene about to take place between Stannis and Melisandre.

It’s a crazy day, with two directors filming scenes for three separate episodes, with three different combinations of actors. In an attempt to make a turn, a huge tractor hauling a trailer full of gear has become stuck in the sand. Wheels spinning, it goes nowhere but further down. After a few attempts to maneuver, it becomes obvious that we have two choices. 1) Have VFX paint out the giant blue tractor from every frame or 2) Start carrying gear.

A convoy of crew begins humping the kit from the trailer to the far side of the beach, and just about every department is in on it: hair and make-up joins burly locations men as they lift, haul and drag weights, lights, ropes and sandbags (!) across the beach and out of shot.

Above us, the B camera unit is setting up the first shot, a wide high pan over the beach and out to the wind churned sea from someone’s garden patio, as one of the houses overlooking the bay hosts the perfect spot. Below, the extras are in place for rehearsal – already resigned to being battered by the waves all day, they stand in the water to the knee as they hold a boat in place. You can see the water seep up their dark uniforms as they wait patiently. Out of shot the water safety team waits, in full wetsuits, in case they are needed. Finally the tractor is free, and the greens team takes over, raking the tracks in the sand and clearing trailers full of seaweed. We are ready to begin.

Ours is the Fury: Always nice to have a fresh report from Cat Taylor. Hopefully, with Morocco filming beginning tomorrow, we’ll have even more new information and sightings to enjoy and dissect.

1. Jon Connington
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

2. David
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Are they filming Stannis’ retreat?

3. Atreyu
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

You’re a tow-truck, Stannis!

4. NewJeffCT
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I’m just finishing up my re-read of ACOK now – it left me wondering what would have happened if Mel had been there with Stannis…

5. Dolph Lundgren
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT:

He’d have stopped listening to her after his fleet burned anyway.

6. Jaqe
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

What is dead may never die.

7. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted October 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I thought Stannis was the tow truck? (him pulling his wife behind him after the burning of the seven haha.)

8. WildSeed
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink

epic the wonderful:
    I’m pondering if this is worth an ounce of thought.

On the other hand… Life Is Beautiful!

LOL, I was considering the same. On the other hand, this tidbit offers us fans
    a glimpse ( a day in the the life of….) of what occurs behind the scene. The seaweed
    part really had me chuckling.

9. tclark26
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 3:25 am | Permalink

Totally off topic, but does anyone know the time season 3′s trailer will come out? About what time was the new trailer released last year

10. the goat
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 4:30 am | Permalink

“It’s a crazy day, with two directors filming scenes for three separate episodes, with three different combinations of actors.”

Choke on that, causality!

Oh yeah, and tuck fexas!

11. Ross
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 4:38 am | Permalink

It does answer a question I’ve always had about tv series with multiple directors – I’ve always wondered how that works when you have the same characters in the same place across episodes. Makes total sense to film all st once but what about the different directors? I guess they just bring them all along!

12. Max
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Dolph Lundgren: He’d have stopped listening to her after his fleet burned anyway.

But any doubt about the power of the Lord of Light’s mighty flames was clearly extinguished – incidentally, that’s something it did not have in common with Stannis’ fleet.

13. Arthur
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

When ever I hear about house Baratheon on this site I still hear that fan made black and yellow song playing in my head…

14. Sareeta
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Why do they think we care about these types of updates?? I get that they can’t give out spoilers, but funny moments with specific actors mentioned would be better than this.

15. alex
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 8:57 am | Permalink

tclark26,

we should get some teasers by mid-december – ish

16. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Re: MGOT….

As Lewis Black said: ” why don’t you just &@# in my mouth?”

Vulgar? Yes but true nonetheless.

17. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Given that the majority of TV shows wouldn’t even bother with a blog that gives us regular peeks into production 5-6 months in advance, along with other behind-the-scenes material, I think that I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
    And it’s good to see it confirmed that they have had three units running at once like we’d heard.

18. Arthur
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I think we will see a tiny teaser at the end of Boardwalk Empire. Like we did for season 2 when we all heard Stannis’s voice saying “The night is dark and full of terrors”.

We wont get any good cinematography, because none will be completed at that point with the FX built in.

HBO will start its advertisement campaign by the finale of Boardwalk Empire and we will see something, we will then know what the season 3 market strategy is…

I am pretty sure thats how it went down last year. Then a month after that we started seeing still frames and so on…

19. Alan
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I thought this was interesting.

20. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Alan:
    I thought this was interesting.

A woman also appreciated this tidbit. Some people are never satisfied, and they usually deserve what they get. Thanks OiTF!

21. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Alright maybe I was a little bit harsh but compared to last year HBO has been very tight in revealing production information this season. Most likely this is to prevent spoilers but its still frustrating especially since there is no confirmation if David Bradley is returning, who Gary Lightbody will be and who Burn Gorman will be portraying.

I think the Bush brouhaha forced HBO to rein in the leaks as much as possible. I just think Cat Taylor’s blogs are very pedestrian. I suppose she is writing for Book fans and the Unsullied as well.

Also did anyone notice that Westeros.org had zero posts on the Vargo Hoat changes? I was expecting a rant of some kind. Maybe they are indifferent now.