New images from Astapor filming in Morocco
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming, Production.

A fresh round of images from the filming in Essaouira, Morocco, has surfaced today courtesy of a local. The photos provide a thorough look at the costuming for Astapor, a city in Essos where Daenerys Targaryen travels, and give us a peek at possible scenes. Emilia Clarke, Iain Glen, Nathalie Emmanuel, Dan Hildebrand, and other unidentified actors appear in the photos.

We have Jorah Mormont, in new armor with the sigil House Mormont, a bear:

Our first sighting of Dan Hildebrand as Kraznys, which confirms that these scenes are indeed set in Astapor:

Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei) between scenes.

Guards with a more colorful costume design than the black-clad men we saw yesterday:

A nice view of the black costumes up close, from behind:

Several more photos can be found in the photographer’s Flickr account photoset and on our tumblr.

Ours is the Fury: Once again, I’m blown away by Michele Clapton’s costume design. The full photo set displays a range of colors on the people of Astapor, but in a more muted way than we saw in Qarth. The natural progression of Daenerys and Jorah’s costumes is also very suitable.

1. brightroar
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

finally mormont’s sigil is on his armor

2. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

oh, and here’s a shot of the flag flying over the castle:

3. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

brightroar:
    finally mormont’s sigil is on his armor

And doesn’t it look great?!

4. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Beautiful photos! Thanks for posting!

5. Davidbc
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Still no Alister Whitebeard?

6. Macha
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Those costumes are splendid and the scenery is stunning! And they kept Nathalie Emmanuel’s wonderful hair, yay.
    Oh but Jorah, my darling, at first I though you had a sheep on your armor. :-)

7. Chump Force 1
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I’m guessing the lack of anyone resembling Strong Belwas pretty much confirms he’s been cut. That really sucks.

8. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Davidbc,

Arstan is definitely on this season. The actor confirmed it. And there was a sighting of a white haired man behind Jorah in a picture from the other day that looks like him.

9. Caro H
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

great photos and beautiful costumes!!!!

10. A_S00
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Emilia looks so cold!

11. Robbet
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I simply love Kraznys outfit! It is so suitable. And Daenerys and Jorah’s costume changes are also pretty awesome!

12. The Young Wolf
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Really cool to see the harpy flags.

13. Coltaine777
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Chump Force 1:

ya I agree..I would’ve liked to have seen him …

14. Nerd
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

The mother of dragons has an iPhone!?!

15. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I demand an image of Whitebeard !

16. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

17. bon
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Ser Jorah can’t say that he had become poorer in Dany’s servis…

Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Is that a dragon claw/tooth necklace Dany is wearing? Awesome.

19. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Nerd, so does Jon Snow. They all look great. The show is really blessed with a hugely talented crew.

Iain, you sexy theeeaaang.

20. Renee
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Love the pictures! Thank you for posting them. Just makes me want to see the show more now. Wish we had a new book to read.

21. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I loved the design. It is reminiscent of the late Bizantine Empire with a little of Sassanid Persia on it. The designers did well in avoiding the obvious Babylonian look.

22. Conor
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Awesome pics! Jorah’s new digs are SICK!!!!
    Love the Dragontooth necklace Dany has, are they teething haha?

The new guards look cool too, they’re helmets are more like the book Unsullied (Minus the spike) so I wonder if all the soldiers we’ve seen are in fact Unsullied, just different ranks. These new ones could be the basic infantry and the black armored ones could be the Elite group.

Everyone looks amazing, including the extras and the set is phenomenal. I Love GOT <3

23. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

You can all quit your bitching. The guy with the hat in the Dany pic has been confirmed as Belwas.

Edit: Oh wait. No. Sorry, keep bitching. Just received a raven that it’s just a fat white guy.

24. Dave Brownell
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

You have to seriously check out what i found!! it was in the first episode of the return of The Walking Dead, and on the hood of the truck Lori is sitting in, the rust looks like the map of Westeros almost to the T!

25. Maester Victor
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

HOUSE MORMONT!!!!

26. tysnow
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Lovin these onset pics, keep-um coming shutter bugs.

Digg’in Ian’s armor, looks like Ser Jorah sold some of that XXD gold to pay for new fashionable duds.

Dany is just as stylish and chic as ever, keep it coming costume department.

Where’s Arstan? I want a pic of Ser Whitebeard.

27. tysnow
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Dave Brownell,

Lol, even Walking Dead is paying homage to the King of shows.

Guess there goal is to get across the Reach into Dorne where they will be safe from all those Zombies scouring the countryside.

28. biliki
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Macha:

I thought the exact same thing, and still do!
    It looks like a sheep, indeed :/

(But the costume alltogether is beautiful)

29. Dave Brownell
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

Even the GoT zombies are more dominant, they wield f*ckin weapons!!!

30. Ceci
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Is it cold or hot there in this time of the year?

31. tysnow
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Dave Brownell,

Don’t forget, their generals are White (Others) Walkers, who bring a *%&#ing Ice Age with them.

32. Ceci
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink
  33. Ryan E
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen: If they cut Belwas I will not be happy at all, he’s one of my favorite characters in the series and honestly his comedic ways is much needed to lighten the tone every now and then.

Have a feeling that character might come off as ridiculous on screen.

34. Amsterpaul
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Great Pics!
    Strong Belwas is both clownish and deadly. I am not sure how they could portray this character correctly. I expected this sadly. And he is critically important in ASOIAF. Maybe there will be enough uproar for season four. a la Blackfish and the Reeds.

35. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Belwas is more of a personality than a plot necessity. He doesn’t actually do anything that can’t be done by another character. It’s more of a loss in that he’s a fun guy to have around.

36. WildSeed
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    oh, and here’s a shot of the flag flying over the castle:

These are great , Ours is the Fury ! These photos are coming in at alarming speed.

37. Tolgeros
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Strong Belwas is like the only comic relief in all of Essos. He will be missed.

38. Queenofthorns
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

OMG JORAH’S BEAR IS NOT STANDING I QUIT THE SERIES

39. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I have the hope that if this season ends with the surrender of Yunkai then we may still have Belwas for next season as one of the freed slaves, and thus having his duel in Meereen anyway.

40. BelwasBlues
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Chump Force 1:

NOOOOOO

41. BelwasBlues
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Tolgeros: Strong Belwas is like the only comic relief in all of Essos. He will be missed.

And this is why I’m so dedicated to him. Dany’s storyline NEEDS the comic relief, I think. I mean, I guess it can be provided through the occasional random backup guy, as we’ve seen in the past, but part of the charm and yes, I’ll say it — complexity- of Belwas’s character is that while he is an utterly un-self aware fool, he is actually quite capable, and his attitude is without equal. BELWAS FOREVER.

42. sunspear
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

It would appea that Dany and her Khalasar invested the money they stole from XXD in some style.

Money well spent.

43. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Ryan E,

I agree, the producers probably feared he come off as a POC Hodor…that or a He-Man sidekick. It’s probably like Vargo Hoat, it probably just doesn’t translate to screen. They may also fear that people might be offended by the possible stereotypes a misreading of the character will perptuate. It’s decisions like this that prevent the series from becoming an R Rated Legend of the Seeker.

44. tysnow
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Queenofthorns,

OMG JORAH’S BEAR IS NOT STANDING I QUIT THE SERIES

Taxidermist assigned to prep a stuff grizzly bear for the President, hands a sketch with the bear in a walking position.

Teddy Roosevelt:
    “No, no, this won’t do, you have made this majestic animal to appear as nothing more than a glorified cow….he must be shown in his menacing and courageous stance” (on hind legs), clawing and growling”. To paraphrase the President. Can’t remember the exact quote.

45. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

This made me recall a scene in Boardwalk Empire Season 2, regarding a Bear and Dabney Coleman’s Commodore. Come to think of it, the Commodore was really Teddy Roosevelt’s evil twin ain’t he?

46. Arthur
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Nerd,

She was texting me!

47. tysnow
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

That is the impression I got from watching his character.

BTW, I am still waiting on a Ser Arstan set pic, what is the daily, shutter bugs.

48. KG
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

Sure does!

49. Brightroar
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Yes I wish the bear was standing and yes I wish he had on a green surcoat but I mean at least the bear is there, now I want Gregor to have his 3 dogs and not just some shiny armor and of course Beric Dondarrion better have the purple forked lightning bolt. Also still hoping Lem lemoncloak will be in the show.

50. Steven Swanson
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Bannerless Bro:
    Ours is the Fury,

That’s a great theory, and I can only hope somebody from the show is lurking here to see it.

I too would miss Belwas (particularly his moment of glory), but agree that he isn’t really necessary for the storyline this season and could be added later.

51. Arthur
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Is it just me or does Emilia look like she lost some weight? I mean, she was never fat to begin with and always beautiful but from just viewing some of her recent twitter pics it appears, to me anyways, that she must be a good 10lbs thinner… Am I alone on this observation?

Possibly D&D warned her she will have several nude scenes with Daario this season so she been working out? I don’t mean to sound shallow but to me she does look thinner…

52. Turncloak
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Like most people I agree, Belwas is not essential to the story. It is a good thing that they cut him as it is hard for new viewers to keep track of so many characters. Belwas isn’t really needed until he gets poisoned in dance . Jorah or Arstan can handle his battles

53. Mjoed
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 2:38 am | Permalink

is emilia sick? :/ she seems to be freezing, while other persons stand there in t-shirts and short pants…

54. Adrian
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Very nice photos. I wish they filmed some 3 weeks ago, because i was in vacation in Moroco and i have visited Essaouira, and i whould have loved to see the team filming there.

55. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 6:34 am | Permalink

Mjoed,

Maybe there’s too much wind…

56. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Mjoed,

Nathalie Emmanuel is also bundled up in one or two shots. Some people have different reactions to climate.

57. PJK
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

When J.J. Abrams was filming the Star Trek motion picture, they made all the actors wear long overcoats to cover the costumes from prying eyes. Maybe that is what they are also trying to do here.

58. bon
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink

PJK,

PJK:
    Joshua Taylor,

I never thought about that. Maybe someone said to D&D: “Hey look what amount of pictures they have from our set here. We must do something with that…”

Edit: After closer look at the “Unsullied” I am convinced that it is part of their wardrobe, not to hide something… The are some decorational endings of those coats…

59. axia777
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Chump Force 1:

My guess is that Strong Belwas may come in at a later date. At least I hope so.

I figure that the producers of the show think that so many new characters will be too confusing for the average viewer of the show.

60. Mickey
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Does anyone else think the black costumes should look just a little less like Darth Vader than they do? Geeeezzzz…. LOL

61. Alan
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Mjoed:

It’s not overly uncommon. For one, many crewing positions require a decent amount of physical exertion. Add in that most sets are usually warm — though moreso indoors — because of the lighting and sheer number of people around and most crew members do not dress warmly.

On the other hand, the talent (actors) tend to have long periods right under the hot lights and then take a break away from everything for an hour while the next setup occurs. Whether or not the actor is concerned about it or not, most people running a set are both a) oversensitive to the comfort of the talent — you must keep them happy and b) worried about them getting sick.

The producer and AD are rarely as interested in the comfort of crew (or themselves).

And sometimes people just get colder than others. Crew tend to have a bit more fat on their bodies.

62. Arthur
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

axia777,

My guess is either Strong Belwas is cut or Daario will absorb some of his scenes…

63. axia777
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Have you read book 5? There is no way Daario can fill Strong Belwas’s scenes in that book and his being in book 5 is pretty important.

64. Sandsnake
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Meryn Trant spotted in Morocco. So this 100% confirms that more Kings Landing material is still to be filmed.

65. brightroar
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

i dont know what you people are talking about, emilia looks fine as ever. ugh lucky seth Mcfarlane, luckyyyy

66. tysnow
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Jorah or Arstan can handle his (Belwa’s) battles.

(Warning: fan fiction) Good point, you can even have a humorous tit-a-tat between Jorah and Arstan dueling the Titan. After the Titan does is boisterous challenge, Jorah could volunteer to take him out and calls for his horse. Arstan (rolling eyes) snickers, and questions why need a mount. Jorah could then challenge him and say well f you can duel him unmounted, be my guest. We know what the result will be. (Sry George)

67. axia777
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

Again, there are scenes in Book 5 that need Strong Belwas. At least in IMHO.

68. Arthur
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

axia777,

Yes of course I have read book 5 and I also really hope we get to see Strong Belwas have his duel and wipe his ass outside the city gates. I hope we see him pitfight and all that stuff. I’m just saying any chance D&D see fit to absorb character roles I am sure they will. This cast is already huge!

69. loco73
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Ha…I didn’t know that Daenerys is an Apple fan…wow the Mother Of Dragons sure got her hands on an IPhone 5 quite quickly…ahhh the advantage of having dragons…I WILL TAKE MY IPHONE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD!!!!

70. loco73
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Very hice pics by the way…Ian Glenn looking good…suddenluy exile seems to agree with Ser Jorah Moromont, or it might be his ardent passion for Danny!

71. Mjoed
    Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Alan,

Well, that seems…. logical. thank you for the explanation.

1. [...] Glenn (Jorah Mormont), Dan Hildebrand (Kraznys), and Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei).Thanks again to WinterIsComing.net for always providing the most up-to-date Game of Thrones news. Only 166 more days till Season [...]

2. [...] Winter is Coming divulgou várias imagens das gravações em Essaouira no Marrocos. Pelas imagens foi confirmado que [...]

3. [...] out the new images below, courtesy of a Moroccan local’s Flickr account (via Winter is Coming).  There are many more at the Flickr link: #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item [...]

4. [...] 2: Winter is coming Share this: This entry was posted in Season 3 and tagged Daenerys Targaryen, Emilia Clarke, Ian [...]

5. [...] nuevas imágenes a continuación, cortesía de un local marroquí cuenta de Flickr (a través de Winter is Coming ). Hay muchos más en el enlace de [...]

6. [...] Winter is Coming] └ Tags: Dan Hildebrand, Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones, Iain Glen, Nathalie [...]

7. [...] Świat jak z mitów i baśni. Miasto wybrał na plener do swojego filmu Orson Welles na kręcenie epickiego „Otella”, Ridley Scott sceny na murach współczesnej fortecy osadził wątek z Messyny oraz Jerozolimy w „Królestwie Niebieskim” (nawet udało nam się dopasować nasze zdjęcie do kadry z filmu – zobacz tutaj), powstał tu też „Aleksander”  natomiast obecnie wszyscy będą kojarzyć miasto z plenerem trzeciej serii kultowego serialu „Gra o Tron” od HBO. Zdjęcia z planu na murach Essaouiry możecie zobaczyć na tym fanowskim blogu o serialu [...]