Kit Harington hypes up season three, calls it an ‘iconic’ season
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

The interviews with Kit Harington from NYCC continue to trickle out. Here are two more where he really hypes up season three, revealing that they received a bigger budget this year and calling it an “iconic” season.

From an interview with Screencrush, Kit had this to say about season three:

Without giving anything away, it’s gonna be a high-impact season. They’ve [HBO] thrown more money at it than they’ve ever thrown. Everyone’s story lines seems to have something which is just… I don’t know, I feel about ‘Thrones’ that this season is gonna be kind of the iconic one. I don’t know if that’s going too far, but I don’t want to give anything away, but I’m genuinely very excited.

And then in an interview with Collider, he reiterates the budget increase and compares season three to season one in terms of it being an ‘impact’ season.

I’d definitely say our budget’s bigger for season three, you can feel it on set. I’ll put it this way: season one was a big impact season, season two was more story, season three is another impact season. There’s some wonderful stuff coming in this season which is gonna grab people, especially if they don’t know what’s coming… So I’d say enjoy it, because this season is my favorite season so far.

Be sure to hit up the links to read the full Screencrush interview (where Kit reveals how he broke his ankle) and watch the full Collider interview.

Winter Is Coming: So what do you think, WiCnet faithful? Will this be the iconic season for the show? Or is Kit just doing the typical actor thing of hyping an upcoming season?

1. Ahmed Hassan
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I already pointed this out .. And my question was why he said that season 4 is not confirmed yet ..
    Why can’t HBO confirm a season 4 yet ?

2. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

First! Haha!! Feast on my firstness!

3. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Damn it!

4. Craig Bowie
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I just hope that there isn’t a negative effect on ratings following the RW.

5. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I pretty much take it both ways. Kit is pretty good at saying things like that to hype what he’s in, but at the same time it will be a season where a lot of things happen and it holds some really iconic scenes from the books.

And why do people still try for this “first” thing? It just makes you look like a kid that’s new to the Internet.

6. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Craig Bowie:
    I just hope that there isn’t a negative effect on ratings following the RW.

I don’t think it will be. Given how people said they would stop watching after episode 9 of the first season it shows that emotion is always good because the series became more popular after that.

Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Ahmed Hassan:
    Why can’t HBO confirm a season 4 yet ?

Somebody already answered your question in the last thread, but basically that’s not how HBO operates. They wait until the season airs before making any final decisions. But rest assured, the way the show is trending and the way the rest of HBO’s shows are trending, there is a 0.000001% chance the show doesn’t get a fourth season. Or a fifth. Or a sixth…

8. Jeremy
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard:

I concur.

9. Catherine Henry-Greskovic
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I think those who have yet to catch the bug of GOTs (I actually know a few people who refuse to read the books OR watch the show) will most definitely be gobsmacked by season 3. Whether it be water-cooler talk, twitter, facebook, publicity, etc. I hope the show impacts the non-readers the way it did for us who read it. I’ve never been more emotionally affected by a fictional story-line in all my years, the way I was when I read the RW. I look forward to and dread the day when HBO presents it on screen. Mr. Martin, I hope you are ready!

10. you-know-nothing
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Craig Bowie,

Would you care to elaborate on that? What makes you think people would stop watching after such an iconic, albeit upsetting, scene?

11. Ross
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Jeremy: Tywin’s Bastard:
    I concur.

Me too, it drives me insane. Not to pick on the particular poster who has done it this time around, but rather the trend in general (not just on this forum). Appreciate I sound like a grumpy old man, but I just don’t get it and it really irritates me. So there. Bah humbug! :-)

As for the green light for season 4, doesn’t it always happen after the first episode airs? Or actually I believe it was after episode 1 in the first series and episode 2 in the second… so maybe after episode 3 this time around? Anyway whatever, it’s going to happen!

12. Liesie
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Haha I remember a time when I was excited just to see a comment, and look at us now: ‘fighting’ to be first. Oh how time flies, and how the fandom grows :)

13. King DBC
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

“They’ve [HBO] thrown more money at it
    than they’ve ever thrown.” Is he saying this in context of the show or the network? Because, that could mean as much or more money than Rome…

14. sunspear
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

If they got a budget increase over the last season, they are going to have a lot of extra money that isn’t going to be spent on battles. it sounds like we may be getting CGI dragons, others, and especially giants.

15. Nancy
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

you-know-nothing,

I know people who stopped watching after season 1 because they did not like what happened to Ned. However, I think those people are not so many that it is going to have a reverse effect on ratings. I am sure there will be some that might quit after this upcoming season..but again…not enough for the show to take a hit or HBO to reconsider their commitment to it.

16. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I got goosebumps when reading the Kit interview. I really hope they don’t screw this up like they did to Season 2 (imho).

Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Sounds about right, I believe Kit means it, and the way he puts it, the progression reflects what’s going on in the books as well, the tense-and-release structure of them.

18. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Good to hear Kit’s hyped up for it.

Season 3 and 4 should be pretty special because almost everyone agrees that ASOS is the best book in the series.

19. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

King DBC,

I would say Kit’s talking about the show because Rome was pretty expensive. Anyway wouldn’t The Pacific be HBO’s most expensive show to date ?

20. Joe
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Sweet! Can’t wait for this season. booyah!

21. Quowala
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Tyrion4Lyfe,

I don’t get this not-liking season 2 thing. It was overall a superior season to season 1. Yes it strayed from the books more but Clash of Kings is a bloated book.

Take Melisandre’s second shade for example. The one that kills the guy who’s holding storms end (I can’t recall the name.) It would have been completely pointless if that were in the series. Some man being killed who we’ve never heard of. We barely got to know Renly.

A book can have any story, details, characters, arcs, back-stories, prophecies etc that it wants. But a series can’t. It has to be streamlined. Meera and Jojen couldn’t have arrived in season 2 what with the addition of Stannis, Davos, Melisandre, Asha, Balon, Brienne etc.

However I have to admit that Dany’s story didn’t engage me in the series but then nor did it in the book. Qarth just seemed like a practice-run for things to come. In the series it seemed like an alien planet inhabited by wacky character actors.

22. Amanda
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:

Yes! ASOS is in my top 5 favorite books I’ve ever read, and I have yet to meet anyone (that I know personally) who’s read all 5 books and doesn’t say that ASOS is their favorite. I’m sure there are some out there who have a different favorite though, of course.

I don’t think there are words to express how excited I am for Season 3 (and 4! But mostly 3, because most of my favorite parts happen in the first half of the book). Reading these interviews and hearing little tidbits is driving me insane. How am I supposed to wait another 5 months??

23. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

There is only one way to make people keep watching the show after the RW:
    Kill Joffo in the last episode, after the RW, and end the season with the “Mother” scene at Yunkai. That one was one of the most beautiful parts of the book;
    it will really cheer up people after the horrible, horrible things in S3.

24. Zack
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I don’t expect there to be a hit to the ratings, especially not if Ned’s death didn’t do it, Sean Bean being a legitimate name and all.

I mean, who watches the show for Robb and Cat? They were minor-ish characters in the book and on TV this is only more pronounced.

No, people will just lose their shit at the whole thing and keep watching to see how the train can possibly stay on the tracks.

25. MedievalFantasy
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Why do some of you assume that once RW occurs, no one will watch? Won’t that only heighten the show’s popularity, how it takes risks and will always keep you on your feet? All the doomsayers that said when Ned died the show would lose viewers, and it only gained viewers, with the final episode of season 2 culminating in the series’ highest viewed episode. I think after RW we’ll see another big increase in numbers. The show will never lose viewers (well, it could, but not in the distant future, that’s for sure).

26. John W
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I think this next season is one people will be talking about for years like Lost Season 1 or Buffy Season 2. I’m excited. I can’t wait.

27. Lady of the Lake
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I think the RW might actually have the opposite effect on viewing. I mean once we lose another couple of Starks (and the less popular ones at that) won’t people cling all the harder to Jon and Arya (and maybe even Sansa will get some more love)? I know that I would definitely stick around just in hopes of seeing some revenge. And what a sweet, sweet, reward people will get when the lions get theirs with the PW!

28. KG
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

Small people, small lives.

29. Sandsnake
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Im really hoping that with the apparent increase in budget we get a decent battle at the fist to open the season rather than just showing Sam finding a bunch of Nights Watch guys dead then slaying one Other. After watching the last 2 episodes of The Walking Dead and the amount of action they featured theres no reason why GOT cant at least show some action with the budget they have.

30. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I bet you on the ‘Boardwalk Empire’ finale we get our first GoT teaser. It won’t have any finished scenes but we will see what HBO’s marketing strategy for season 3 will be. Will be very interesting and I can’t wait!

31. sean
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Tyrion4Lyfe:
    I got goosebumps when reading the Kit interview.I really hope they don’t screw this up like they did to Season 2 (imho).

Exactly my feelings as well. Cautious optimism. Glad to see others were disappointed with s2, it is easy to get shouted out of fansites when mentioning any negative opinions.

32. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Ahmed Hassan,

One of the top HBO executives already basically said something like, “Unless GoT falls off a cliff fans can exspect many future seasons”. This was said last season before season 3 was green lighted. HBO always does this, they wait for a season to end before they announce another season. They did green light ‘Real Time’ for two seasons but RT’s budget is probably less then 1/20th of GoTs.

I wouldn’t worry about future seasons at all.

Though maybe GoT isn’t HBOs highest rated series in the states, I guarantee you if you factor in around the world, DVD sales, and also HBO gift shop sales of all things GoTs, there is no doubt that GoT is HBOs flagship and cashcow series. It’s a money making machine and GoT is the only epic on TV of its kind. No other cable network can bring us this epic and I believe this is a way for HBO to flex its muscles while still making profits and winning awards and recognition.

HBO brings us this series with pride because it really holds true to their motto…

“This ain’t TV, it’s HBO”

33. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Here’s my idea for a teaser.
    Storm, funeral and wedding imagery interspersed with brief shots of the characters, old and new then after a cornucopia of images and voice overs by Mance Rayder or something of the like. Then as we hear a new rendition of the Rains of Castamere we enter a darkly lit hall and pan down to a feasting table to its very head, where sitting on a throne- the umm…gory details- concealed by shadows is a King with a wolf’s head. A ghostly voiceover from Arya says “Valar Morghulis” then the tagline for season 3 appears: “CHANGE IS COMING”
    The newbie viewers are instantly going to be like, “oh the Starks are going to kick ass this season! A wolf will sit the iron throne!”
    And we, the book readers and HBO are all like: mwahahahahahahahahahahahah!

34. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

That would be awesome! Like I said, I really can’t wait to see HBO’s marketing strategy for season 3. So many cool directions they can go!

Your vision would be a brutal, yet hidden meaning to those who don’t know about the RW. I’m just dieing to see how HBO promotes it… Will be very very interesting.

35. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I would honestly be surprised if they didn’t hunt at the RW in the promo.

36. NewJeffCT
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Season 3 should be bigger than Season 2 –

The battle at the Fist is 300 NW men vs thousands of wights and Others.
    The battle at the wall involves tens of thousands of people, though many of them are non-combatant types. The difference is that one side is a few hundred Night’s Watch men and Molestowners versus 30,000 or more wildings. Blackwater was a more balanced battle in terms of numbers, but the wildings had mammoths and giants on their side.
    Dany’s conquest of Astapor was also a big event, involving nearly 10,000 Unsullied.
    The Red Wedding involved thousands on both sides.
    Tarly and the Mountain at Duskendale vs Glover and Tallhart.
    Dany’s conquests of Yunkai and Meereen as well.
    Plus, the Tyrion-Sansa weddings was not a small event.

37. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

They aren’t bothering you, just leave em alone. To each his own mmmkay?

38. Hinka
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Don’t know If this video was in the news here… but i think it’s great review of the best/worst moments from season 2.

39. Ahmed Hassan
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I read someone saying it somewhere that
    ” Game of Thrones is as important to Tv as The Lord of The Rings Triology was to Cinema”
    And I completely agree , I’ve never seen more epic tv than this ..

40. John
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Zack

Well, they aren’t *that* minor. Catelyn was a POV character, and though Robb wasn’t, he has a more expanded role (e.g. a real love story, unlike his walking plot device of a wife in the books) on the show. More importantly, people love the Starks and are rooting for them against the Lannisters. The Red Wedding wasn’t just the execution of a couple of Starks. It was the execution of the leader of the Starks (Robb) and the destruction of his army. This is without question the low water mark for the Starks and the high water mark for the Lannisters. That’s why people took it harder than it might have seemed just by the characters involved. In the immediate aftermath of the Red Wedding (especially with every other Stark except Sansa missing and presumed dead), it just doesn’t look like there’s a way for the Starks to end up on top…and then the Purple Wedding happens, and everything starts moving in the other direction. We still don’t know how it’s going to turn out, but I would suspect that the North will eventually be part of the winning side, while the Lannisters (except for Tyrion) won’t.

41. Watson
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Off topic:

To anyone who has ever complained that GRRM licenses to many ASOIAF products: it could be worse.

42. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Aegon, I still want to do the first post thing, but then I want to say HAR!

I’m surprised anyone feels up to talking about S2′s pro’s and con’s six months after the fact, or am I being unreasonable? Can’t we just rather look forward to S3? All the pro/con stuff has simply become repetitive over the last six months. And I think Kit is really doing his best at promoting this show, he’s just a young actor who got his big break. If he showed lack of enthusiasm over S3, he would also probably be criticized. It’s kind of part of an actor’s job to give a positive taint to the projects they do, isn’t it?

43. Andrew
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Watson,

That looks delicious. I for one anxiously await the winter is coming waffles.

44. Alan
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t trust Kit’s estimation of budget. I mean, it may be true — they added a third crew, and have more dragony stuff this season. But there’s no Blackwater. And actors aren’t accountants.

But I hope they are leaning into the budget — that is, expecting higher ratings and continued growth to justify the budget. It means a better product.

45. Zack
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

John,

I am not sure I understand the intent of your post. Surely there’s more to it than just the obviousness of describing how the event isn’t advantageous for the Starks? Because that by itself isn’t enough to negatively impact viewership. As I said, most people aren’tattached to those characters the way they were to Ned, who was the face of the series to newcomers; the show has successfully built up a number of compelling characters such that the loss of some of the more minor roles isn’t going to cause revolts. I am fairly certain it will trigger vastly higher numbers of “Holy shit, what’s gonna happen?” reactions than it will incite pissy viewers into giving up.

Empire Strikes Back ended on a down note for the protagonists, and no one complains there. This kind of shit is critical to build anticipation, hunger for retaliation. If people don’t believe there are real stakes in a television series primarily about a wartime conflict, that is what could blunt interest IMO.

The viewing numbers for episode 30 are going to see the most significant episode-to-episode jump at any point in the series, mark my words :)

46. Jen@House Stark
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Hopefully Kit is excited for S3 because he’ll have a better script! Seven Hells he was unexpectedly blah in S2, through no fault of his own, I’m sure. For those who think RW will not be a “huge deal” or has “minor characters”, I beg to differ. The King in the North was always my hope for winning the war and simply being Warden of the North after. Of course, Martin feels differently. For those of us loyal to House Stark, there will not be enough kleenex in the whole seven kingdoms, to get through that part of S3. Does it mean we’ll quit watching? Of course not! However, doesn’t make it easy, even knowing what happens.

47. Addy Stark
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Watson,

OMG. At least GRRM is here to defend himself and his product. Poor JRR Tolkein is at the mercy of his heirs and strangers. :(

48. sunspear
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Watson,

To be fair, any sort of Game of Thrones inspired menu from the books would be delicious.

49. The B of B-town
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

**** FIRST!!!! OHMAWGURD AM AI TOO L8???? LOVE BEEING FIRST, hehe :P lol x

50. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    Ahmed Hassan,

I wouldn’t worry about future seasons at all.

Though maybe GoT isn’t HBOs highest rated series in the states, I guarantee you if you factor in around the world, DVD sales, and also HBO gift shop sales of all things GoTs, there is no doubt that GoT is HBOs flagship and cashcow series.It’s a money making machine and GoT is the only epic on TV of its kind. No other cable network can bring us this epic and I believe this is a way for HBO to flex its muscles while still making profits and winning awards and recognition.

“This ain’t TV, it’s HBO”

Well struck ser !

51. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:

True enough, although I would guess the need to underscore his character , and
    the need to remind us that Jon’s story is still evolving (onscreen). With the S2
    lesson learned of his storyline, S3 and future seasons will continue to improve.
    Perhaps this is only a reader’s perspective, yet Benioff and Weiss took note
    of a few shortcomings ( & desirable awards ). The production is heading in a
    direction beyond industry standards and will reap the benefits along the way.
    All that, and having a blast doing it. The fandom knows this much, and we’re
    enjoying it.

52. uno0
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I think it will be iconic – how can it not be, given the book(s)?

53. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    I bet you on the ‘Boardwalk Empire’ finale we get our first GoT teaser.It won’t have any finished scenes but we will see what HBO’s marketing strategy for season 3 will be. Will be very interesting and I can’t wait!

How many Gold Dragons are we talking about here ?

54. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Alan:
    I wouldn’t trust Kit’s estimation of budget.I mean, it may be true — they added a third crew, and have more dragony stuff this season.But there’s no Blackwater.And actors aren’t accountants.

But I hope they are leaning into the budget — that is, expecting higher ratings and continued growth to justify the budget.It means a better product.

I hear you. Yet S3 will prove to be an ambitious one, with so many factions
    coming to view ( war, weddings, new schemers, etc ). The ratings may
    improve, as you stated, justifying respect for the production and budget.
    GoT has a great shot at this, perhaps ( I dream ) an additional episode.

There were rumors of HBO execs rethinking it’s brash decisions to cut
    some projects short, GoT may benefit especially , for future seasons.

55. Alan
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:
    Aegon, I still want to do the first post thing, but then I want to say HAR!

Especially since her overarching complaint was that it needed more episodes and more money.

Well. More episodes does equal more money. Or a slower revenue stream. And this is one of the most expensive shows ever, apparently only Rome excluded. So, um, really?

I mean, at some point, you have to acknowledge that the company investing $70M/year has a right to try and make some profit on this.

56. Alan
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: I hear you. Yet S3 will prove to be an ambitious one, with so many factions
    coming to view ( war, weddings, new schemers, etc ). The ratings may
    improve, as you stated, justifying respect for the production and budget.
    GoT has a great shot at this, perhaps ( I dream ) an additional episode.

There were rumors of HBO execs rethinking it’s brash decisions to cut
    some projects short, GoT may benefit especially , for future seasons.

On the rumors, are you referring to the fact that they HBO executives have publicly stated that made a mistake in cancelling Rome? If so, it’s not a rumor. There’s a link out there somewhere. But basically they underestimated DVD sales on an ongoing basis. Hopefully, they will understand the rising potential of legal future digital streams (or at least the importance to HBO GO).

HBO isn’t cancelling GoT any time soon. The ratings are very good, if not TB/Sopranos good. The PR and hype are beyond good — they get far better press with Game of Thrones than anything else they are doing. With Showtime upping their game, they can’t afford to be seen to have an inferior products. Homeland’s success may actually mean a stronger foothold for Game of Thrones, for example, unless HBO is hemorraghing (sp?) subscriptions.

That said, HBO would need to approve a massive budget increase and delayed timing (and so delayed value to the subscribers) to go to a longer season. D&D say they can’t do more than 10 in a year. It’s not going to happen unless they feel comfortable splitting up the work and HBO pays OR HBO is willing to space out GoT 18 months apart.

The best thing is what we’re seeing with ASOS (10 and 10).

57. john
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

I really wonder how big an impact book readers have on the show’s ratings. I suspect book readers are a very small demographic for HBO as a whole and we overestimate their importance on fan sites like this. Especially the really hard core fans that would stop watching the show if the show runners change something that isn’t to their liking.

Something a book reader finds to be “bad” might be very different from what the average viewer finds to be bad. Someone who hasn’t read the books will (obviously) not care if HBO changes a few names and removes a few characters.

That said I think the show runners have paid an enormous amount of respect to the source material. Some changes have been a bit annoying but as a whole I think they’ve done a really good job. Certainly nothing has come close to turning me off the show.

58. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I read about the HBO executives response to prior projects, at this site. Unfortunately
    I never got the chance to watch the Rome series, although I heard it was worth the
    watch. Another show, ” In Treatment “, came to mind as I was writing earlier. To
    be true, I have no idea of the HBO exec point of reference. Until last year, I watched
    perhaps 2 hrs of TV per day that includes cable TV. To commit to any program, there
    had better be a good reason to put off reading a good book or journal. I’m a little
    out of touch with the industry, as a whole, but it’s been fun catching up. My
    lifestyle never included time for this before, and now I relish it the thought of
    becoming a burgeoning ASOIAF aficionada.

I do recall the interview with Benioff and Weiss here, about the 10 episode
    production. Taking note of the arguments here, I ( naively and stubbornly ) hope
    that the premise for B & W statement is not a final one. I feel the same about the
    short season of Doctor Who, by the way. Wish me luck in hoping on an expansion
    of that one.

We do have a good thing going, even at ten episodes, 10 and 10, as you say.

59. Quowala
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Cool idea! I want to hear the drum beat “Doom Boom Boom!” like in the RW chapter.

And the tagline should be “Doom is coming.”

With glimpses of bigger dragons, mammoths, giants and white walkers! For some reason I imagine it ending with Arya covered in blood.

60. sunspear
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

On a side note, I’ve been thinking that I know the perfect way to end episode 1. Nymeria and her wolf army kill the men chasing Arya.

61. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

sunspear:

That might not be episode #1, but a woman likes that idea wherever it might occur! We do have to see the continued connection Arya has with Nymeria at some point.

Posted October 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I’ll take Kit’s words as good news, because my BIGGEST concern and hope for Season 3 is that they do a better job with Jon Snow. He’s one of the fan favourites in the book, but in Season 2 of the show he came across as a pretty one-note character (mopey and kind of dumb). He hasn’t had much good dialogue so far, and they bungled his “big moment” (with Qhorin).

IMO, Season 1 was about Ned. Season 2 was about Tyrion (and Arya). Season 3 HAS to be about Jon (and Dany). This is their chance to either redeem TV Jon Snow, or bury him.

63. Selmy
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Quowala,

First comment: my exact thoughts

And sounds awesome.

64. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Couldn’t agree with you more! Season 2 really had all to do about Westeros and mainly kings landing. Dany and Jon were pushed to the side. Hopefully season 3 will have less to do with kings landing and give a chance for the other characters outside Westeros and beyond the wall to shine.

65. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

My tagline for Season 3 would be ‘Four Funerals and a Wedding’, just for the lols.
    The four ‘funerals’ refer to the deaths of Lord Rickard Karstark, Lord Hoster Tully, Lord Commander Jeor Mormont and King Balon Greyjoy (assuming we see his death this season), and the wedding, of course, refers to the Red Wedding

66. Selmy
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Zack:

I mean, who watches the show forRobb and Cat? They were minor-ish characters in the book and on TV this is only more pronounced.

I don’t agree. It’s the Red wedding. It’s a mother and a son viewers have grown to like which are getting brutally killed, them, and hundreds of Stark soldiers. And it seems like they are doing the Greywolf head on Robb’s body. It’s terrible and chilling.

67. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Zack,

They will build up the Robb and Talisa romance. By the time the RW happens the TV viewer will feel very attached to Robb and Greywind.

68. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

I really hope D&D show the TV viewers the mental bond that still exists between Arya and Nymeria. I have a feeling this bond will have a huge role in future books…

69. Alan
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

With more posts like these, it wont matter because everyone will be spoiled.

70. loco73
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

I have no issue with Season Two…I don’t understand what people bitch and moan about…but whatever, you can’t please everyone. After reading Kit’s interview I am definitely looking forward to Season Three, given all that happens in “A Storm Of Swords”.

Should we be worried about the budget increasing too much? After all a bloated budget has been the demise of many shows?

71. Arthur
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Alan,

Oh snap!

72. hashblower420
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

loco73,

I know right? How dare people have differing opinions. Damn them for not praising every little deviation as D&D’s genius fixing a horrifically boring and bloated story.

Anyway, here’s to hoping they redeem past failures with a true-to-the-book season 3.
    Also, here’s to hoping they kill off they idiotic Jeyne Westerling replacement in a particularly brutal way.

73. Zack
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Selmy,

Oh, for sure, but my point is to ask, who stopped at the corresponding point in the books (permanently, I mean, not just for a period of time, to process it)? I don’t know anyone who stopped. I’m not saying the event isn’t terrible and chilling. It absolutely is, and that’s the appeal!

I mean, I’ll remember that I said this, and will eat crow if episode 30′s numbers don’t see a huuuge bump, and then another jump for the next season. It’s going to be epic.

74. Mimsy
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Maybe the budget increase means more Ghost? He was exactly that last season. :( We need to see more direwolf action… even if they’re in the background.. just remind us that the Starks are more than just ordinary people. At least Dany gets to shout about her dragon babies in practically every scene.

Cannot wait for this season! D&D, please.. oh, please capture the awesomeness of Storm of Swords. This is by far my favorite book of the series.

75. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

john,

Correct, the production belongs to Benioff and Weiss, who happen to respect the source material, readers and viewers alike, will benefit from that. The author respects his fans,
    as does the production team, but at the end the day it has to add up. Although not
    infallible, these guys are pros and want to make an epic series, so they’ll find a
    way to find a reasonable balance ( of adaptation and cost effectiveness ).

I’ve read that Fan sites , such as these , do get acknowledged from time to time.
    The GoT staffers are actually interested in the pulse or tone of the viewers
    and readers. In that way I guess, we all play a role. I believe they want an honest
    impression ( ruling out the doom sayers and yes men ). Since we’re speculating
    often, it’s good exercise to be candid. I have to admit, I’m also learning different
    perspectives than my own ( and enjoying that ).

76. WildSeed
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

I’ve especially missed Ghost, in GoT, and Shaggy Dog, and Nymeria from the books.
    the Warg connections are significant ( including the dragons, etc ). We could just wait
    it out………..or send a raven :D

77. loco73
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 12:07 am | Permalink

hashblower420,

Oh no whatever am I going to do now that I insulted your sensibilities? ! Don’t worry, you don’t have to agree with me, just as I don’t agree with you! You can go on not liking whatever it is that you don’t like and I can still not give a rat’s ass!

78. Matt Chung
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 1:45 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

Bryan Cogman has been known to post here from time to time. If I recall correctly, the last time he posted here was to address some issues that people had with what Jaqen H’ghar was saying about R’hllor (which turned out to be unwarranted anyway).

79. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 1:49 am | Permalink

I just wish we could figure out how many scenes can be filmed on location during a two-week shoot, like in Morocco and Iceland. They mentioned it would be something like 20 percent of the entire season? Because it could possibly indicate the size of different character arcs.

80. Grrblt
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:03 am | Permalink

Does this mean the return of Dany’s boobs? One can hope.

81. Obsidian
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

hashblower420,

I wholeheartedly agree with your spoiler !

82. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:46 am | Permalink

Did Brown Ben Plumm ever get cast? I can’t remember whether he has been confirmed or not.

83. mashiara
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Craig Bowie: I just hope that there isn’t a negative effect on ratings following the RW.

I thought about that too…after I read the RW chapter I wiped away my tears and stopped reading the book. I really thought I wouldn’t even finish it, I was so pissed off! But after a few days, I thought about it and realized that this is Martin’s world, these are Martin’s characters, he created them and can do with them as he pleases. So I put on my big girl pants, hardened my heart, finished the book and went on to finish the series (thus far). I also realized, as many who have read the series may have also realized, and hopefully fans of the show who haven’t read the books will, is that there is a reason for everything that is happening…

I believe this is all fodder, that while Westeros is busy tearing itself apart, winter is coming and death comes riding with it. I think the real war will come when the Whitewalkers come south. With the fall of the Starks, the burning of Winterfell, the Wall weakened by civil unrest, and lack of fighting men, I believe the Whitewalkers will come south. And what can kill Whitewalkers?….dragon’s fire of course! (luv u Daenerys) Thus the Great War of ice and fire…2 great opposing forces battling for Middle Earth :) er…umm….well you know what I mean!

84. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:05 am | Permalink

mashiara,

85. HouseLark
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Lex:

I also think they need to get Jon and Dany on track so that the audience are properly invested in their storylines. Up to now, everything has really been about the North versus the Lannisters which is why people fear the ratings will drop after the RW when the characters that they have probably invested the most in are killed off. The RW hit me like a ton of bricks in the books but by that point I had already pinned my hopes on Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Arya to make it through so I was invested to keep reading. I wonder if that’s the same for people who are just show-watchers because after two series’, Jon and Dany are are involved in sub-plots and not much more.

Fingers crossed this is addressed in S3.

86. SnowyJoey
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:42 am | Permalink

I’ve been coming to this site for a couple of years to get my GoT info but rarely post…regardless I made this Night’s Watch costume for halloween and figured I’d show it here. Check me outttttttt.

87. Ash
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

It’s my life long dream to be first!

88. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Ash,

I thought I was first on this post, but it was cruely ripped away from me like when Janos Slynt took that poor baby from his/her mother’s arms :(

89. Steel_Wind
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

It’s a season based on A Storm of Swords. A Storm of Swords is easily the fan favorite of the five books released — and all for a good reason, too.

So … it should be the best season in the HBO series, too – with perhaps next season being the only one which will edge it out (if it does). We all know that Kit Harrington is also a big fan of the novels, so if he has this excitement concerning Season 3, I just hope he is right and not merely shilling.

90. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Quowala:
    Tyrion4Lyfe,

Opinions are opinions for a reason. I didn’t like season two as much as season one, with the exception of Blackwater. It is ok that you think season two is better; I am ok with that. I just thought some of the deviations from the main story and plot changes were unwarranted.

91. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Tyrion4Lyfe,

I think the key differences between those who like and dislike season 2 is that the “for” side understand why those changes had to be made. We didn’t like them ourselves but we see more good than bad in the adaptation and are willing to forgive the deviations on that basis. I also think that many book readers who support the show did not make the mistake of expecting a flawless adaptation. That said, in the beginning we were all in the same boat and now we clearly are not and when it comes down to it is a simply a matter of opinion. I gave up discussing the show here on an episode to episode basis because there was just too much extreme love or extreme hate and not enough middle ground.

I suppose everyone has their tolerance threshold with the series and you won’t know it until you hit it.

92. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Grijnwaald:
    Ash,

Awwww Grijnwaald not to worry! There will be other chances. A woman feels for you, for some of us smallfolk with small lives “firstees” is still a bright spot to the day. If it brings one a smile, why shouldn’t one enjoy it? Haters still gonna hate. Whatev.

93. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

WildSeed:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

it out………..or send a raven :D

Yes Wildseed, a woman agrees the warg connections are important and hopefully will increase this season. This way it makes more sense to have sympathy for the lost connections when they happen (such as Sansa losing Lady). Considering Sansa’s arc though, it was brilliant of GRRM to have her lose Lady early on, as how could she ever do some of her later moves with a huge direwolf in tow, even a well-trained one?

94. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

Well said! I too think that Jon will kill Dany

95. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

SnowyJoey, nice costume ;)

96. Quowala
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Tyrion4Lyfe,

Fair enough dude!

Season 1 was definitely ‘tidier’ and stays more closely to the book, however imagine if you hadn’t read the books… season 2 is just way cooler! haha!
    And Blackwater is definitely the best episode so far!

97. mashiara
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu: I agree with the spoilers completely, except for one detail, I believe that it will be Jon, not Daenerys, who ends up in control of the dragons and fighting the Others/Whitewalkers. I believe that R+L=J, and that Jon is Azor Ahai/The Prince That Was Promised. My theory is that Jon and Daenerys will fall in love. However, Jon will realise that in order to create lightbringer he will have to kill Daenerys (Azor Ahai killing Nissa Nissa). This also complete’s Daenerys’ prophecy of three (Jon is the mount ridden for love, Lightbringer is the fire lit for love, and Jon killing her is the treason for love).

I am sorry, I forget myself….this is book 3. Some may not have read the books or the entire series yet. I will just say this...Jon Stark’s story has set him on another path. His character’s story arc is steep. His rise to power swift and his fall….well that’s not the 3rd season/book….and I got ahead of myself…

98. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:
    SnowyJoey, nice costume ;)

Har ! It’s a bit amusing that his hair blends in with the animal hide he’s wearing :D
    But I guess he’s toasty warm and doesn’t give a rats arse about a mirror. If I were
    Jon Snow, I’d demand the gods to send some Polar Fleece and thermos of hot
    mulled wine :D

99. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Wildseed, I admit the pick I saw was very small, saw it on my phone. I recently took the black for a party in South-Africa and since it was about 28 degrees celsius in the evening, I didn’t bother with “real fur” either.

100. Arthur
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 1:07 am | Permalink

All the regulars here know that HBO’s ‘ROME’ is a classic with mobs of cult following. I was browsing youtube looking at scenes with Varenus and Pulo and found this scene and I instantly remembered the tears that welled up in my eyes with the impact of that scene. Even though I knew what would happen to Ceasar, the scene still hit me so hard.

I imagine the RW, if done right will still hit me hard. And I really feel sorry for the emotional impact non-book readers will have. Like us they will go through the many stages of grief, including denial and anger…

If D&D make the RW with Robb and Greywind’s death half as intense, I imagine lots and lots of tears welling up and letting loose.

Check out this video on YouTube:http://youtu.be/7FvgP5hO99o

101. Arthur
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Arthur,

It’s also pretty strange that the YouTube account that posted that scenes name is Wolfshead… Wow.

102. WildSeed
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Arthur,

We’ll all have need of the Kleenex ,Arthur. Try not to use them up in your household ):

103. Arthur
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:50 am | Permalink

If any one of these actors make it as a cast member of GoT, I think I’d shit myself.

Check out this video on YouTube:http://youtu.be/hWnVH8x9iAM

James Purefoy as the Red Viper
    Kevin McKidd as Euron Greyjoy
    Ray Stevenson as Victarion Greyjoy

That would be my dream casting…

104. GeekFurious
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t worry about RW driving viewers away. I just finished the books having mainlined them over a couple of weeks, and I was heartbroken… had to put the book down for a day, but then couldn’t wait to see what happened next.

105. Suzaku
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I’ll certainly agree with him that Season 3 will be iconic, given all the indications of the RW.

I’ll go a step further and say that Seasons 3 and 4 may well be the high points of the show, though I do so love ADwD.

One more step and I’ll say that Season 2 may well be the low point of the show, as that’s how I felt about Clash in general.

106. Mike
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Zack,

Just about every person I’ve talked to about the show, and hasn’t read the books, love Robb’s storyline. We didn’t get the witness much of it in the books since he wasn’t a POV, but the show has people very invested in Robb and, to a likely lesser extent, his love interest. Smart move by the show-writers and HBO.

107. Arthur
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 3:58 am | Permalink

Sandsnake,

I agree, besides my prejudices against Ros and the new skinny weak looking Mountain in season 2, my only complaint was the lack of action. I really was upset they didn’t use Jaime’s prison escape attempt to showcase why he is a legendary swordsman. Yes, he did duel Ned and was amused and laughing at Ned the whole time with a little surprise respect for Ned’s skill and strength but not everyone noticed that.

Anyway, season 2 needed more action. Yes, Blackwater was action packed but I hope D&D spread the action out a little more in season 3. Yes, I know this is an epic fantasy drama but still action here and there is always a good thing.

108. Quowala
    Posted October 28, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Arthur,

They’re all amazing actors but I think James Purefoy would be better suited to play Euron.
    As for the red viper, I think a Hispanic/ Latino or middle eastern actor would be better suited. I would rather he be played by someone we’ve never heard of than it be some ‘name’ that wouldn’t do as good a job.

109. Gez
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Love the Rome Casting of RV, Euron and Vicatrion!! :)

I have no doubt that this will be a great season. Though dont forget Storm of Swords will be spread over 2 seasons. And its the latter half of the book that features one awesome scene/shocker after another. So perhaps they will try to even things out, but to me Season 4 will be just as good as 3.

I’d say have RW in Ep 8 and then end the season on a high with Dany at Astopor and Dragons! Leave the Viper vs Mountain, Joffrey/Tyrion pay off until season 4.

110. jose f
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard, ugh.. not looking forward to that.. and it would seem neds death may not be avenged as wouldve hoped.. but we’ll see ..

111. Queen of the North
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

For my sake, I just hope Ghost & Jon Snow are reunited in time to face off against the white walkers.

1. [...] You called it an iconic season in another interview. What way do you think it’s going to be [...]