Unconfirmed season three actors: Who are they playing?
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.

This season there are quite a few actors where we have received word of their casting, either via updates to their CV or through various sources of our own, but never got an official confirmation. As a result, their roles were never revealed nor explained. We are pretty sure all these folks will be in Game of Thrones this season, we just don’t know exactly where they fit in. So let’s take a look at the list of unconfirmed actors and try to figure out who they might be playing. We’ll give you the actor, and then our provide our best guess at their role.

Noah TaylorLocke
We have revealed, based on reports from various sources, that Noah Taylor will be playing the Vargo Hoat character. Only the writers have reportedly decided to rename the character to ‘Locke’. Presumably, this means that this is an entirely new character with a different background (not from Qohor, no lisp, etc.), although he will apparently fulfill the same function within the story.

Burn GormanColdhands
Burn Gorman was spotted in Belfast at the same time other Night’s Watch actors were there, such as John Bradley and Mark Stanley. This led to the speculation that Gorman would be a Black Brother. With his penchant for playing villains, there was talk he may be cast as Dirk or Karl. But why the reluctance to confirm a NW character? Something else is afoot. Or should I say, at hand. My new pet theory is he is playing the enigmatic Coldhands. This type of role would certainly be shrouded in secrecy.

Tom BrookeAegon Frey aka “Jinglebell”
Ageon Frey, called Jinglebell, is the half-wit son of Walder Frey. Perhaps a bit of type-casting from me here, as Brooke played a dimwitted disc jockey in Pirate Radio, but I can definitely see him as Jinglebell. It wouldn’t be a major role, but a pretty important one, if certain things go down as they did in the book.

Stephanie BlackerVal
This blonde-haired and blue-eyed actress fits perfectly with the description of Val, the sister-in-law to Mance Rayder. She plays a small part in A Storm of Swords, but one that appears to be increasingly important in later books. Blacker is a little-known actress, but one that appears to have burgeoning talent, so getting her now and letting her grow into the role makes sense.

Elisa LasowskiMirelle
We know the name of this British actress’s role, thanks to her updated agency profile, but not her part in the story. There is no Mirelle in the books, so the options here are nearly endless. The name sounds somewhat Tyrell-ish to me, so she could be one of Margaery’s cousins. This model-turned-actress also does not seem shy in front of the camera, so she may play yet another prostitute.

Charlotte HopeMyranda
Another instance of having a name, but not an actual role. Myranda is a name that crops up in the books, but Myranda Royce is much older than Hope. I suppose it is possible she is playing an aged-down Myranda Royce; we know they shot some Eyrie scenes. Some have speculated she is playing a renamed Roslin Frey, and that they changed the name to avoid confusion with Ros. The other option is she is playing another one of Margaery’s cousins.

Rhys HowellUnsullied
A recent addition to the “unconfirmed” list, this actor added “Unsullied” to his online CV and then was spotted on set in Morocco playing one of those black armored guards. (This confirms that those costumes are for the Unsullied.) The makeup on his nipple seems to imply we will be getting the scene in the book where the slave master cuts off an Unsullied’s nipple to show their tolerance for pain. It makes sense then that they would cast a trained actor for that part, and not rely on an extra.

Aisling Jarrett-GavinHandmaiden or Noble Woman
Another recent addition, this actress tweeted that she was traveling to Morocco for a small part in Thrones and that she would have a couple scenes with “the Queen”. At the time, it was believed that Morocco was only going to be used for Essos scenes, but now we know they are filming King’s Landing stuff there too. So Jarrett-Gavin was likely in a scene with Cersei, probably as a handmaiden or noble woman with a line or two (a pic of her in costume seems to back the “scene with Cersei” theory).

Winter Is Coming: So there you go. All the various unconfirmed actors we have heard about. Do you agree with my speculation? Or are there other roles you think these folks might be filling?

1. Lexyvil
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Vargo’s name change and origin deviations… :’(

Guess it’s for the best. Locke seems too casual for a name (It’ll remind me of Lost…). I don’t see why the change was necessary, I would prefer they’d kept the original name so he’d have a reason to keep the facial hair.

As for the rest of the characters, I’m fine with.

2. Andrew
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

It’s going to be interesting to find out who Myranda and Mirelle actually are. I vote for Myranda being a renamed Roslin, personally.

3. hinka
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Aisling Jarrett-Gavin – Handmaiden or Noble Woman…. when I looked at the picture I almost thought… Cersei… she looks in my opinion really closed to Lena… maybe she is a nude-double?

4. M
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Myranda Royce is much older? Isn’t she 18 or so in the books?

5. Freyan
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

The actress cast as Miranda looks quite like what I pictured Taena Merryweather to be. No?

6. Jenny
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Freyan,

You don’t mean Mirelle? I think you do because that’s what I thought… Dark uninhibited Ex-Model

7. Wun-Wun
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Mirelle as a replacement for Taena of Myr? She’s certainly got the look I imagined…

8. GrimTuesday
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I don’t like the name change from Vargo to Locke, as there is a already a House Locke of Oldcastle. It bothers me because House Locke is a Northern house, and while Locke may just be his first name, they could have him being part of Robb’s army right away which is just a stupid change.

Granted, House Locke isn’t important enough to appear in the show, thus no worries about confusing people, but it still bothers me.

9. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I think the idea of Myranda being a renamed Roslin Frey makes sense based on the name changes to avoid other character confusion in the past. The character is necessary this season so she has to be played by somebody.

As for Locke, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that in the books, Locke is a minor Bolton man. The reason he’ll be replacing Hoat is that they are excising the Bloody Mummers and their switching loyalties along with the changing hands of Harrenhall plot. Good decision IMO since all of that is just needlessly confusing and adds nothing to the larger story. No Weasel Soup and no Arya at Harrenhall anymore means that you don’t need to depict how Hoat fits into the ownership change there. In fact, there’s little reason to have Harrenhall appear at all this season as all of Jaime, Brienne, Locke and Roose’s interactions can take place in another undisclosed location with the same result.

I like the change of having Locke and his crew be Bolton men who capture Jaime to show just how off the Dreadfort is and it will allow a reason for Roose to interact with Jaime because he probably won’t be running things at Harrenhall.

10. Currer Bell
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Isn’t Coldhands Benjin Stark? Would this be something that GRRM told D&D the outcome so they feel free to make the change?

11. testure
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I always assumed Cold Hands was Benjen Stark

12. The Rabbit
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

My guesses:
    Noah Taylor – He is one of Bolton men. He is not Vargo Hoat at all – he is only going to have some lines from the book: Vargo s lines. It fits with my speculation that Bloody Mummers are out and their role in the plot would be transfered to some of Bolton s men, with the only goal to do some nasty things to Jaime & Brienne.

Burn Gorman - I am still thinking he would be one of the NW – starting a “rebellion” against Mormont and killing him at the end. Though Coldhands theory is interesting.

Elisa Lasowski – a co-worker of Ros?

Charlotte Hope – a Tyrell cousin by a look, or really much younger Miranda Royce.

Aisling Jarrett-Gavin – Could be just a handmaind, but given to older Margery Tyrell – she could be a cousin as well.

Tom Brooke – that s the most interesting one. Jingelbell is a good guess, I say. But he could be any of other Freys (Pimple..one of many Walders etc..)

btw, I still can not login with my Twitter account!

13. Ena Kobentar
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Sigh … mourning the loss of the lisp.
    What if Aislinn Jarrett-Gavin meant Dany when she mentioned “the Queen”?

14. Nezzer
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell:
    Isn’t Coldhands Benjin Stark?Would this be something that GRRM told D&D the outcome so they feel free to make the change?

Spoiler ADwD: the child of the forest Leaf says that he died very long ago, so I don’t think he’s Benjen.

15. Nezzer
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

hinka:

Yeah, she must be a nude-double, but her dress looks more like Dany’s than Cersei’s. Maybe she’s a nude-double for Emilia instead of for Lena (or maybe for both)?

16. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell,

A popular fan theory that became far less popular after ADwD for a variety of reasons.

17. Mark
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I could see Elisa playing Taena Merryweather, so maybe Mirelle is an altered Taena? She fits the look, and the look of the show’s versions of Shae and Talisa, the two young Free Cities women we’ve come across thus far, with the dark hair and dark eyes. Also a character who may have to not be shy in front of the character.

18. Good ol' Dead Ned
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I’m thinking Aisling Jarret-Gavin is Lady Merryweather. Also, maybe they are naming Noah Taylor “Locke” to screw with Lost since they took “The Others” from George RR Martin

19. Currer Bell
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

If not Benjen, do we ever get to know who he was? Is it significant? His past idenity I mean.

20. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Someone mentioned Burn Gorman as a potential Greyjoy family member as well.
    I’d hate to see the character Coldhands introduced, too soon. Yet I’m certain
    Gorman will make a good portrayal.

There was another male actor, Rheon something, to be cast as ” boy”. That seemed
    undetermined to me too, as his character was not confirmed by name.

If , indeed lady Merriwether were to be cast, Ms Jared-Gavin looks the part (?)

lady Margaery’s cousins will likely go unnoticed with all the commotion going
    about, but Tom Brooke will receive an extra 15 sec as Aegon Frey ( if he’s cast).

I’m clueless as to why Noah Taylor’s portrayal hasn’t been locked in, his
    character is likely first up, either as villain Locke or Bolton’s bannerman.

21. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell,

That info remains a tightly held secret by GRRM, I doubt we’ll learn this by
    means of GoT. Too thoughtful.

22. Nezzer
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

WildSeed:
    Someone mentioned Burn Gorman as a potential Greyjoy family member as well.
    I’d hate to see the character Coldhands introduced, too soon. Yet I’m certain
    Gorman will make a good portrayal.

undetermined to me too, as his character was not confirmed by name.

If , indeed lady Merriwether were to be cast, Ms Jared-Gavin looks the part (?)

lady Margaery’s cousins will likely go unnoticed with all the commotion going

I’m clueless as to why Noah Taylor’s portrayal hasn’t been locked in, his
    character is likely first up, either as villain Locke or Bolton’s bannerman.

Iwan Rheon is almost confirmed to be Ramsay. For some reasons they are hiding his role; in a recent interview he said he wasn’t allowed to reveal who he’ll be playing.

And Burn Gorman as a Greyjoy? I don’t think Euron, Aeron and Victarion will show up this soon. Maybe he is Tristifer Botley or Qarl the Maid, as it seems that Yara/Asha will be in season 3.

23. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Good ol’ Dead Ned:

Far more likely they were devastated by the 2001 movie “The Others” who clearly ripped off Martin first and to get back at the producers, they created the character “Locke In” which is obviously an anagram for Nicole K (the film’s star Nicole Kidman).

24. Watson
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell,

There is a theory that he was the Night’s King.

25. Cary Storm
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Twenty-fifth!

26. Cary Storm
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

GrimTuesday,

Previous speculation is that Locke is not a random choice of a name but intentionally some individual named Locke from House Locke, as that would be a Stark bannerman loyal to Bolton; and so, someone to easily replace Vargo Hoat in a simplified storyline where there is only one changeover of Harrenhall rather than several.

27. Amsterpaul
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Good God. Staphanie Blacker is sooooo amazing looking

28. Norman
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

What about David Bradley as Lord Frey?

29. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Every time I see that image of Burn Gorman, I think he is an android. He just doesn’t look “real” in that image.

30. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Norman:
    What about David Bradley as Lord Frey?

He’s not a new character, he’s a recurring one and based on previous stories on this site, he’ll be back.

31. Ash
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

All the women are sisters of ros, we are gonna get an extensive back story to everyone’s favourite prostitute!

32. Man from the North
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Off topic.
    I just want to say that it GoT mentioned in yesterday’s episode of NCIS LA.

33. Cary Storm
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Tom Brooke might be more likely Patchface…

34. Mormegil
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

There was a guy called Joe Purcell who made the news the other week who will supposedly be in 2 episodes of Season 3.

A NW member or one of the Brotherhood I would guess.

35. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Why get Burn Gorman as Coldhands? Gorman has a distinct type that he plays I find it hard to believe they would keep in a hood all the time.

He would be a perfect Frey.

36. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Could Aisling be Margaery’s mother?

37. sunspear
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Oy, I was hoping they would get rid of Taena entirely. She just seems unimportant.

Judging by D&D’s efforts to add as few extra characters as possible, I like the idea of Hope playing Roslyn.

38. bon
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Here is another article about Joe Purcell that he is playing in two episodes, but who he plays? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220822/Joe-Purcell-Game-Of-Thrones-actor-shoplifted-food-feed-children.html?ITO=1490

39. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the updates WiC, a woman agrees with some here and elsewhere that a simplification of the Harrenhall/Hoat story line is warranted with only 10 episodes per season. He has a few important things to do, and can do them anywhere with any name as long as we find out where his allegiance lies so we “get” the motivation. It is this woman’s suspicion that, as we have seen already, many minor characters will be cut or combined into new ones in future season so that crucial plot elements are kept but with fewer actors/names to keep track of for the viewers of GoT. Already, my “viewer only” friends have to ask me questions after almost every episode so they’re sure who’s who and what certain things mean. Imagine adding several major characters per season and 20 or so minor ones, not to mention extras…chaos would be the result if all book characters were kept.

40. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

M,

You’re thinking of Mya Stone, Robert’s bastard daughter in the Vale who helps people climb and descend the Giant’s Lance. Myranda Royce is a different, older character.

41. Amsterpaul
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

sometimes I wonder why I get the feeling that Charolette Hope is going be be just breath taking

42. OverloadedS3Cast
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

This!

43. Rygar
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Finally some hot women again. We lost our eye candy with Doreah and Irri and Sansas still too young. :)

44. sunspear
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Wait! I’ve got it! Burn Gorman will play….the Red Viper of Dorne!

45. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Wow, a slice of reality and hot off the press. I hope all is well for Purcell and his
    family. No clue to role on GoT, but he’s confirmed as an actor. For his sake, I
    hope the portrayal is more than an extra.

46. mariamb18
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

If I had to describe Taena, it would be Elisa Lasowski. Sultry is the probably the best word. I think that Taena’s name was changed to Mirelle, for some reason.

We need Roslin Frey and Charlotte Hope looks the part (sweet, pretty). I can understand the name change in this instance and I suppose that Myranda is as good a choice as any. Since the character of Myranda Royce is not crucial, there may not be an issue.

I love the idea of Burn Gorman as Coldhands.

Could Aisling Jarrett-Gavin be Margaery’s mother, Alerie Hightower? Has Mace Tyrell been cast?

47. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

When introduced as a possible GoT entry, I ‘d hoped Burn Gorman would be cast
    as a Wildling ( Varamyr or another skin -changer ), but that role went to Crooke.

I agree with Joshua Taylor about not hiding his facial features, and he’s credential
    -ed enough as an actor to be given a prominent role. There’s not much left for S3,
    other than a Frey or future season Greyjoy. Perhaps he’ll get a brief glimpse in
    during the wedding. Anyway, there must be some strategy being reckoned here,
    with the unconfirmed or held secret actor portrayals.

48. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Charlotte Hope’s CV actually states the director for her was Michelle McLaren. With the way CVs are updated, I would take this to mean either McLaren directed the only episode Hope was in, or she directed the first episode she was in. So we’ll see Hope starting in episode #7 or 8.

49. Darquemode
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

I had never considered Burn Gorman for Coldhands, but I quite like the idea now that I read it!

I was hoping Tom Brooke would have s lightly meatier role than Jinglebell honestly. I would enjoy him as a more psychotic jester though if they cast him as Shagwell!

Of the three young actresses cast months ago the only one that I had any real strong feelings about was Blacker as Val. The other two with new names leave me wondering…. I can see Mirelle being a royal born ro prostitute… Myranda I think is a noblewoman but I cannot discern if she’s a Tyrell cousin in King’s Landing, Myranda of the Vale or a Frey. Ours is the Fury’s logic above makes me think the timing would fit her being Myranda Royce if only in 1 episode or Roslin Frey if in a number starting at Ep 7.

Like some others have mentioned I like the idea of Aisling Jarrett-Gavin as Lady Laerie Hightower… They could easily introduce her as the Tyrell’s all arrive in King’s Landing and wait to show Mace Tyrell until next season a bit before Tyrion’s Trial.

50. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Ours is the Fury:

Being introduced in episode 7 or 8 would bode well for her being the Roslin Frey role as that would be around the time we would see her in preparation for the RW in episode 9.

51. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Aisling Jarret-Gavin is quite young, far too young to be Margaery’s mother. I’m not clear on her age precisely, but she was playing teenagers just a few years ago. She might even be younger than Natalie Dormer.
    This is her playing “Kelly” in “Freak,” around the 1 and a half minute mark.

52. nightwolf
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I think Burn is a bloody mummer.

53. Caro H
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

- If Noah Taylor lets that beard grow a bit longer he would resemble Vargo more, i think. and i guess the change of having him be roose’s man since the start rather than tywin is all right.
    - Burn Gorman ought to be a Frey or a NW man, not Coldhands. i want to keep on believing Coldhands is Benjen.
    - Tom Brooke: ahhh, they are showing that scene with him and Cat!!
    - Stephanie Blacker looks right for Val, but i wonder if they’ll indeed mix her character with Dalla’s.
    - Elisa Lasowski is pretty close to what i pictured taena to look like, and if she has scenes with Lena and Aisling Garret, they will be great. sort of like the little tete-a-tete sansa had with the tyrell cousins but in a grown-ups version.
    - Charlotte Hope is the tricky one cause she could easily be either Roslin or Myranda Royce (mixed up a little with Mya Stone in personality) or a Tyrell cousin…

54. John
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Nezzer: Currer Bell:

55. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

So I take it Benji Stark isn’t Coldhands then ?

56. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Not digging the decision to alter Hoat’s name and background as he’s one of the memorable characters from the books.

57. Bannerless Bro
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

King Tommen,

You forgot the Bear Pit fight.

58. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

John: I think that’s not particularly persuasive. I suppose it depends on what you definition of “long ago” is (note that the word “very” is not in the text). To me, if Benjen died all the way back in the first book (only two years in book time, but it must feel like several lifetimes to the protagonists, given everything that happened), that seems to be long ago to me. Not saying you’re wrong, necessarily, but I think we need some more evidence than that to conclude that Benjen *isn’t* Coldhands.

It’ll be pretty damn clear on the show as soon as Coldhands appears. If it’s Joseph Mawle, then you’ve got your answer. Otherwise, it’s not since this is almost assuredly something D&D would have asked Martin about.

IMO, it was pretty clear in ADWD that Coldhands wasn’t Benjen based on what Bran was saying about him and the fact that there was no recognition of his uncle (who he would know) at all. So unless it’s Benjen’s soul in some other person’s body (which is silly) then I think we can strike that theory away.

I think Martin wanted the readers to probably initially think that this was the case but the fact that it would be an obvious reveal and he never pulled the trigger on him showing himself to Bran probably means that it was a fake out on Martin’s part. I think Benjen (whether he’s dead or alive) will still have a role to play but I don’t see the point of dragging out his identity as Coldhands this long if that’s what Martin was going for.

59. King Tommen
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Bannerless Bro:
    King Tommen,

You forgot the Bear Pit fight.

The Bear Pit fight was filmed and can definitely take place just as in the books, it just doesn’t have to be at Harrenhall because nowhere has it been established on the show just where this pit might be.

60. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

I agree that Bran would’ve recognized his uncle, even as a corpse. I think the identity of Coldhands’s body doesn’t matter. He’s just a dead guy body that Bloodraven appropriated to communicate through.

61. Gared Hall
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

hmmmm, i don’t think so. i seem to remember that coldhands kept his face shrowded with a scarf or something like that. i don’t have the text in front of me, but if his face is covered except for the eyes and he’s wearing a hooded cloak, all bran would have to go off of is the eyes… which might be blue like a wight, and decayed since he’d be dead. easy to throw off a 10 year old i’d imagine.

62. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Gared Hall,

I don’t know, I think it’s weird he wouldn’t notice anything around the eyes and the body and all. It’s possible, I guess. The main strike against him is the Child of the Forest saying he died long ago. Benjen would’ve only been dead a couple years. The Child is hundreds of years old, I don’t think she’d call a couple years back “long ago.” Just my gut.

63. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Darquemode,

Don’t you think casting a known, distinctive face like Gorman’s as Coldhands is strange. Why not have some tall extra or stunt actor play him? A David Prowse type y’know? I’ve generally supported all the work Nina Gold has done for this show, but I can’t see her casting a distinct personality like Gorman as a silent, hooded undead creature. It makes more sense he is a Frey or one of Locke’s men or even Reek. Or a mutinous night’s watch man.

Personally it’s a waste of his talent.

64. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

I am also really curious about the lack of casting confirmations…avoiding spoilers maybe?

65. Quowala
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Any news on there being a casting for Mace Tyrell?

66. idkk
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

What about the guy who was identified as “Lord Torturer”? Any speculation on the role other than possibly being one of Ramsay’s boys?

67. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

Possible maybe. Oh…. and …this, I misquoted you above (about Gorman’s facial
    features ), I have no idea where that came from. Freudian Slip, maybe.
    Nonetheless, he’d be wasted under a hood . Gorman is quite animated and spirited
    in most roles I’d seen him in, GoT is a nice departure from that stereotype.

68. WildSeed
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Noah Taylor , with the beard, reminds me of Christopher Guest in the role of
    Count Rugen, from the movie ” The Princess Pride “. If he is some consolidation
    of Hoat + Brave Companion + Bolton Bannerman= Locke, the role is still similar.

69. Alan
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

The person saying “long ago” is not Bran, it’s someone who has lived a very long time themselves.

The only “evidence” that Coldhands is Benjen is the same evidence that Syrio is Jaqen — we never saw a body. It’s technically possible, but a character disappearing in a vague geographic area and a new character being introduced is somewhat tenuous.

70. novichao
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

testure,

we wont probably see benjen stark again as we saw him in real life… (hes defenetly coldhands though) i dont think it matters if they change the actor

71. novichao
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

exactly!

72. Canary
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

I would be deeply disappointed if Burn Gorman is Coldhands, unless the character of Coldhands is much changed.

Burn is a fairly recognizable actor these days – not the least because he has a pretty memorable face, but also due to the high profiles of Torchwood and The Dark Knight Rises. I expect that to be used, not hidden under a scarf or wasted on am only-glimpsed undead character.

73. dizzy
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I like all the speculation, I only wonder if they would change Patchface’s name to Jinglebell for some reason. Losing Vargo doesn’t really bother me that much. He’s a good character but hardly one that couldn’t undergo some changing. Altough “Locke” is a pretty generic name.

74. MRR
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

King Tommen,

There are these magical things called spoiler tags that people like to use around here. You should check them out!

75. nezzer
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink

I think either Burn Gorman or Tom Brooke is going to play a fake Ramsay (the first and real Reek, called Heke). Iwan Rheon said he can’t talk about his role in a recent interview, so I think he’ll be the real Ramsay, while pretending to be a prisoner to Theon. On his place, we’ll have another actor pretending to be the real Ramsay.

76. KG
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Caro H,

I think she’ll be ALL the Tyrell cousins. Much simpler that way.

77. Jacarb
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:12 am | Permalink

GRRM loves leaving things open to speculation, and who Coldhands was is exactly the kind of question no one should expect answered. It’s an effect of playing out the POV style. No one in Westeros, for example, could ever definitively tell you if Rhaenys’s black kitten grew up to be the old mean black cat that Arya chased, and so GRRM never will. Also, he’s a history nerd. History is full of holes and actors whose stories we’ll never directly know, and historians figure things out by reading and rereading and piecing together disparate details. Can’t you picture two historians arguing over the exact year a king died with the exact same logic that comes into play when we debate what season Joffrey will die?

Anyways…I think all the speculation is pretty spot-on. Charlotte Hope and Stephanie Blacker both look strikingly like the descriptions of two characters whose appearances factor heavily in the story (Roslin’s not-ugliness being a hint and Val’s hotness causing Jon headaches), so that just kinda fits. I’m great with “Locke” and a lack of Bloody Mummers; I picture my dad calling me after the episode to ask who they were and then being irritated that the explanation was so unrelated to anything.

nezzer, whoa, yeah! I can totally dig Burn Gorman being a fake Ramsay. Hell, there’s a shot of him on IMDB that would completely sell me on him playing Michael McElhatton’s son if I didn’t so like Rheon for the role.

“Mirelle Tyrell.”
    1. Wonder what Robert would have to say about that name.
    2. The Tyrells would do this, wouldn’t they?

78. Currer Bell
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:14 am | Permalink

One really likes the option to opt out of the spoiler tags This makes reading so much easier.

79. WildSeed
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Currer Bell,

Probably makes it easy for folk with mobile devices as well, very thoughtful.

Winter must be tweaking the site already. Winter is Coming , y’all.

80. Macha
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Alan: The person saying “long ago” is not Bran, it’s someone who has lived a very long time themselves

True. And there’s no need to even argue over that quote since there are more obvious things to take into consideration like….oh I don’t know, the fact that Bran would recognize his uncle. The uncle that has blue/grey eyes and not black, like Coldhands. And no, I wouldn’t put that down to decay. The color of a character’s eyes seems to be too important in Martin’s writing for him to just give Benjen a whole new appearance.

PS: I really like the idea of Tom Brooke as Jinglebell. I’d like him even more as Patchface. He’s got that Azor Ahai look about him.

81. Hertolo
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 6:09 am | Permalink

I would also prefer Patchface over Jinglebell. But it’s ok ;) Speaking of fools, I wonder also if we’ll get the scene where the Tyrell fool sings/screams over Sansa and the Queen of Thorns debating. It’s a really cool scene in the books, but I’m not sure it translates well over to television.

What are the chances Rhys Howell is playing Grey Worm?

82. Chickenduck
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 6:34 am | Permalink

dizzy:

?

They’re two completely separate characters, hanging out with different groups of characters. Where has there been suggestion that one will be merged with the other, or one renamed as the other?

83. freoduwebbe
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

Winter has already done some tweaking – I found that if I tap the spoiler on my Droid, I CAN SEE IT…. still doesnt work on my kindle fire… but hey… at least i can read the site at work..

Thanks Winter and Co for all you do.

84. sayslah
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 8:45 am | Permalink

GrimTuesday,

Wahh?

85. Jill
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink

WildSeed: i seem to remember that coldhands kept his face shrowded with a scarf or something like that. i don’t have the text in front of me, but if his face is covered except for the eyes and he’s wearing a hooded cloak, all bran would have to go off of is the eyes… which might be blue like a wight, and decayed since he’d be dead. easy to throw off a 10 year old i’d imagine.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, Bear Pit=Pit of despair?

86. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Hertolo,
    Zero. Jacob Anderson is already confirmed as Grey Worm.

Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Al Swearengen,

Darquemode,

Personally it’s a waste of his talent.

Well, I think if Gorman is Coldhands then they would probably do away with the whole shrouded face and silent thing. Just give him some makeup to make him look a little more undead. The other part of the theory that I didn’t mention in the post (and I have to thank Fury for this aspect), is that I think they might do away with Bloodraven and make Coldhands the Three-Eyed Crow. There is no way the show will get around to establishing who Bloodraven is, so the “reveal” will have no impact. It might make more sense then to have Coldhands lead Bran to the cave, and then begin teaching him to be a super-warg.

88. Alayne
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Freyan,

Taena is dark skinned.

89. Pacman
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Outstanding. It’s great to see Noah Taylor in another high profile show. Going by previous history (despite my misgivings r.e. the suspected deletion of my much loved Bloody Mummers) he will shine as he did in Shine and so many other films unknown to no Australian audiences. A first class actor easily of Ciaran Hinds, Sean Bean level.

I just hope they haven’t cut the Vargo/Locke role screen time too short. I’d hope that he’s a cross of the Vargo and Steelshanks roles, but then I can’t see how that would work. Who knows, Benioff and Weiss are equally as good as GRRM at keeping us guessing, and regardless of the plot and character changes are serving us a story just as good, and equally as unexpected. A page for letter reproduction would be utterly boring. And for the record, Ros is a great addition.

As for the young lady playing Mirelle – I agree, she seems like Taena to me. She certainly has the sultry vixen sex appeal look in her promo pic that suits that character to me. Having said that, the way Lena Headey has played Cersei so far, I’ not sure will gel with the Cersei/Taena relationship as written by the great bearded one.

90. ygritte_knew_a _lot
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I think Aisling Jarrett-Gavin is either Lolys or Falyse Stokeworth…

Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

The Rabbit: btw, I still can not login with my Twitter account!

I looked into this issue and it is apparently due to something that Twitter changed recently on their end. I’ve notified the plugin creator and he has told me he is looking into it and will hopefully fix the issue in the next update to his plugin. I will let you know once it is working again. :)

Currer Bell:
    One really likes the option to opt out of the spoiler tagsThis makes reading so much easier.

Great! Glad you like it! Just a reminder to you and others though, please keep marking your spoilers for those who still want to avoid spoilers. Thanks!

WildSeed:
    Currer Bell,

Probably makes it easy for folk with mobile devices as well, very thoughtful.

Winter must be tweaking the site already. Winter is Coming , y’all.

Actually, I haven’t yet added this option on the mobile side. Although that is next on my to-do list.

freoduwebbe:
    WildSeed,

Winter has already done some tweaking – I found that if I tap the spoiler on my Droid, I CAN SEE IT….still doesnt work on my kindle fire… but hey… at least i can read the site at work..

Thanks Winter and Co for all you do.

Question: Does the Kindle Fire load the full site or the mobile site? If it loads the full site, you should be able to use the “reveal all spoilers” link above, which would alleviate the issue of the individual spoilers not revealing on a tap. Let me know, thanks!

92. Josh Parker
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

If Sam Callis taught me anything, it’s that most of these will be one-shot, possibly one-scene, characters.

93. Josh Parker
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

‘Cept for Taylor and Gorman, obviously. You don’t hire actors that well-known for walk-on roles.

And I think Blacker is Val.

94. Carne
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

idkk,

It looks like he’s only set to appear in one episode.

And I also think Blacker is Val. I recall her tweeting about hanging out with Alfie Allen and Iwan Rheon at different pubs, but then later deleted them. Sounds like she’s gotten to know them quite well.

Edit: How do I turn off the spoiler tags?

95. M
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    M,

Um, no – I am thinking of Myranda Royce, who is described in A Feast for Crows as following: “Lord Nestor’s daughter proved to be a short, fleshy woman, OF AN AGE WITH MYA STONE.” So she’s around 18 or 19 (don’t remember Mya’s exact age off-hand). If anything, Charlotte Hope is probably older than she is, not younger.

96. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I was hoping they’d get Tom Hanks to play Jinglebell, but I suppose Tom Brooke will do.

97. mariamb18
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I think that Tom Brooke is playing a different Frey…Merrett perhaps since he plays a different role in the RW and the “aftermath.”

98. Tenesmus
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I believe that Elisa will be playing Margery’s lover. I think the show will continue with an active LGB character. Her, Joff’s, and Cersei’s interactions will be all the more compelling and intersting to watch.

99. Niamh Lily Wimperis
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Currer Bell,

no, that theory doesn’t make sense, because think how old coldhands is said to be, and benjen didn’t disappear that long ago

100. Alan
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus:
    I believe that Elisa will be playing Margery’s lover.I think the show will continue with an active LGB character.Her, Joff’s, and Cersei’s interactions will be all the more compelling and intersting to watch.

I have to ask, because I see this all the time, so it’s befuddling to me. I’m not criticizing the word choice, just trying to figure out why. (And someone will take my question wrong — but I am not trying to correct the poster, just understand).

You said, “I believe that…” Do you really have that strong of an opinion on that? Or is this a situation of “translation” — that is, you aren’t a native English speaker and believe/think are very similar in your language.

Generally, when someone wants to convey some level of doubt or even just float an interesting idea — the phrase “I think” would be more appropriate. Belief implies a level of certainty.

Given that there’s really no evidence for your theory — though it is entirely possibly and could see them doing it — do you really believe it (you are all but certain this will happen) or is this a translation thing?

Just curious.

101. Holbac
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Alan,

In latin languages, believe and think are usually translated in a same word like croire in french. It’s a common mistake for native speaker of these.

Or maybe Tenesmus isn’t latin and there is a different explanation ^^

102. Hi-Fi
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Considering her company in the down time, I’d say Stephanie Blacker is playing a version of Kyra. If it’s indeed true that we’re getting 6 episodes with Theon/Ramsay, they will need more elements to fill their storyline. The escape/hunt scene sounds possible.

103. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

M,

Actually, you’re right :) She’s about the same age Mya, which makes both about 20 by the end of ADWD. What I was thinking of was that she’s older than the actress playing ‘Myranda’.

104. dizzy
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,
    There hasn’t been, just thinking “out loud” because Patchface wears the belled antlers.

105. Malcatraz
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Anyone know if the giants are going to make an appearance?

106. Norman
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

King Tommen,

But has he been announced as coming back? Last I heard it was an open question.

107. WildSeed
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Holbac:
    Alan,

Or maybe Tenesmus isn’t latin and there is a different explanation ^^

To be accurate, in francais, there exists 2 distinct words ( and meaning ), but IS
    often ( loosely ) translated as similar in English usage. I had to get used to this,
    while learning English as a second language , and translating stuff for my
    family. Formal word usage , is sadly disrespected everywhere. Creire or Croire,
    for “Believe” , and Penser for ” Think “, is still used by my family.

I’m still struggling with Spainglish, if you will, as spoken in some parts of Calif.

108. King Tommen
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Norman,

Recurring characters who appeared in previous seasons typically don’t get official announcements about their returns so you won’t see one. However, in the case of Bradley, it’s been stated on this site and others that spy reports have him on set and I believe there’s a report of an extra saying they got a chance to talk with him there.

Why wouldn’t he be there? He’s kind of an important part of Episode 9, right?

109. Alan
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Holbac:
    Alan,

Or maybe Tenesmus isn’t latin and there is a different explanation ^^

Yeah — that’s why I asked. I’m curious if this is just a linguistic thing or whether the person is very certain that this is the path the show would take.

I read quite a few theories online about ASOIF, as a lot of us do. I’m generally surprised by the certainty many people have around their thoughts. It’s occurred to me that there really isn’t that certainty — it’s word choice that I infer as certainty in many cases.

It would explain a lot to me.

110. Nathanael
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

I doubt they would cast Cold Hands this season, isn’t he just introduced at the tail end of SOS?

111. WildSeed
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

ygritte_knew_a _lot:
    I think Aisling Jarrett-Gavin is either Lolys or Falyse Stokeworth…

Please….no….not that ….

112. Jeremy
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Regarding Coldhands, I like the theory that he is the Night’s King. Old Nan tells Bran that the NK’s name was possibly Brandon. Coldhands tells Bran that he is “Your monster, Brandon Stark”.

113. hashblower420
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Poor Jinglebells… at least Catelyn will get her just dues in the end.

114. Holbac
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Nathanael,

No he appears before the RW, when he saves Sam and Gilly from whights’ threat

115. Suzaku
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 6:16 am | Permalink

Lexyvil:
    Vargo’s name change and origin deviations… :’(

As for the rest of the characters, I’m fine with.

My guess is that, in general, people will better accept a deviation from the book if it’s a new or original character than if it’s an established character with a new personality or backstory.

116. Nathanael
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Holbac,

So one scene at most this season? Why would need a high profile actor for that? When they could easily keep him hooded?

117. Liz B.
    Posted October 31, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

I don’t think Leaf was referring to Benjen in that statement. She was referring to the Three-Eyed-Crow?

118. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Liz B.,

No she was referring to Coldhands/the dead body its inhabiting as having died long ago. Benjen didn’t die that long ago, if he’s dead- maybe two or three years. A short time by Leaf’s standards.

119. Sparty
    Posted November 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

it works

120. Cary Storm
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

I just thought, Tom Brooke = Tom Sevenstrings. He hasn’t been announced yet, and has that been speculated? After seeing Brooke in several videos online, it seems like this would be a great part for him.

121. Martin Walsh
    Posted November 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

The walkers are dead too. He has to be Benjin Stark, in my opinion. I think it might play out that if he is Coldhands then he will offer knowledge on how to defeat the walkers or something along those lines. That said, who am I to try and figure out the great George R. R. Martin’s plot twists :)

122. SedNonSatiata
    Posted May 17, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

It’s interesting to see that the two fair girls who we didn’t know what were going to do, actually turned out to be the girls who tricked Theon Greyjoy in Ramsay Bolton’s dungeons.