October three years ago was a big month for Game of Thrones. Cameras started rolling, and the first ever live action footage of GRRM’s epic series adaptation was recorded as the pilot shoot began. But before that …
- In the beginning of the month, the rest of the pilot was cast, starting with the prologue. Richard Ridings was cast as Gared (later recast for the series proper), and Bronson Webb was confirmed in the role of Will.
- Three more roles were filled, and George played his hand of clues with us again. We got them all, naturally! Thus, the crucial role of Bran was filled, and confirmed. More clues were given, pointing to Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin.
- In October, we also got Jason Momoa as Drogo. A most memorable role.
- We found out Aimee Richardson was cast as Myrcella in the pilot, and she went on to secure the role as a regular in the series proper.
- Finally, all the roles that still needed confirmation were confirmed. The cast of the pilot was officially assembled! David and Dan thanked the fans with a message. Such cool dudes.
- In other news, and among other things, we got hints from Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) that he was reading our site.
- Julia Frey, who worked on the pilot as a VFX producer and who we remember fondly, inadvertently provided some clues about potential shooting locations.
- The press noted the buzz early on, and created some themselves.
- Then, finally, the filming of the pilot started. First at Castle Doune in Scotland (Winterfell), and then at locations in Northern Ireland. WiC.net was on the ball, writing reports from the set. Here are the October reports: Beginning, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 8.
Hear Me Roar: I remember following the pilot shoot so vividly. The countless F5 presses :) Updates coming in by the hour, a GRRM sighting, thorough bottom-supporting by our site regulars. Really glad I was part of this.