The North Remembers: October 2009
By Hear Me Roar on in Editorial.

WiCnet Alternate LogoOctober three years ago was a big month for Game of Thrones. Cameras started rolling, and the first ever live action footage of GRRM’s epic series adaptation was recorded as the pilot shoot began. But before that …

Hear Me Roar: I remember following the pilot shoot so vividly. The countless F5 presses :) Updates coming in by the hour, a GRRM sighting, thorough bottom-supporting by our site regulars. Really glad I was part of this.

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I’ll let someone else go first this time

oops……………….

2. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

Feasting on your firstness again!

3. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I have a mancrush on Nikolaj.

4. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror,

Yeah eat it! These are rare moments that must be exploited at all costs! ;-)

5. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I still smile reading that report. If it weren’t for reading on WiC.net that they were filming in Doune I’d never had popped along and in turn never have plucked up the courage to head to Belfast the following week to celebrate my birthday in style ;)

Still my best GoT day EVER! :)

6. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Always support the bottom!

7. Mike
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Is the pilot ep 1 or is it something we have never seen?

8. mags giantsbabe
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I’m on my phone, so can’t post the link, but We Got This Covered interviewed Kit and he called season three a “season of betrayals”. I like.

Congrats again Grijnwaald, awesome feeling, isn’t it?

9. Mark Thompson
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Was the pilot for execs only or was it broadcast? We only have the series proper in the uk.

Posted October 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Mike:
    Is the pilot ep 1 or is it something we have never seen?

Parts of it were used in ep 1, but most of it was reshot due to the recasting of Catelyn and Dany.

Mark Thompson:

The original pilot, in its entirety, was shown only to HBO execs.

11. Johan Sporre
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

And it’ll most likely never be available to the public in any shape or form (except for those parts that are in the first episode).

12. Ross
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre:
    Winter Is Coming,

But why is that? Sensitivity over the cast members that were recast? Just an inferior product? I think every GoT fan would love to see that pilot.

13. Grijnwaald
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Ross,

I’d certainly love to see it!

14. Alan
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Ross: But why is that?Sensitivity over the cast members that were recast? Just an inferior product? I think every GoT fan would love to see that pilot.

I doubt it. Some hardcore fans on here, certainly. But its the same script, to my knowledge. A few different actors and lower production values. Probably roughly edited.

15. The Rabbit
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Yes these were F5 days.
    Remember the celebration of the first day of the filming on this site.

16. dizzy
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

We could use some more F5 days… :) alas those initial buzz days are behind us. Still love most everyone here though.

17. Rimshot
    Posted October 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see the pilot just to see the scene I’m in!

18. Liesie
    Posted October 31, 2012 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Wow it’s been three years already?! Feels like only yesterday :)