Day 122: Moroccan filming wraps
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Speculation.

According to a tweet from David & Dan’s assistant and Making Game of Thrones blogger, Cat Taylor, filming has wrapped in Morocco:

What next? Well, the production goes on a bit of a hiatus until filming resumes in Iceland at the end of this month in four days. I don’t think there will be a total stoppage of work though, as I suspect they will use this time to get some post-production work done.

UPDATE: Contrary to what was originally reported, Cat has tweeted that they will be heading to Iceland in only four days. Either they moved up the Iceland dates since they got everything else done early or the original report was erroneous. Nevermind, I’m an idiot. This time frame matches the original report exactly. Either way, sounds like Kit and Co. have some packing to do!

With so much filming already complete, the question on everyone’s mind is when will we get our first glimpse of some season three footage? Last year, our first look at season two came on Nov. 20, with a behind-the-scenes video. The first actual footage from the season came in the form of a short teaser, aired on Dec. 11, prior to the Boardwalk Empire season finale. So really, we should get something soon, either a behind-the-scenes video or trailer or maybe even both.

Winter Is Coming: Boardwalk Empire‘s finale airs on Dec. 2 this year and I would be shocked if we didn’t get something either on that date or before it.

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Now on to Iceland! Can’t wait to see a possible behind-the-scenes video or trailer soon.

edit: oh yeah, I almost forgot………………..FIRST!

2. Duff Man
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Curious as to what the tagline will be for season 3. Weddings are coming…

3. spacechampion
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I’m guessing we might get a tag line about Autumn Storms.

4. Darquemode
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Filming is just flying by this year!
    Maybe that allows for more extensive VFX post-production to happen. Last season was impressive as it was, but maybe with more time ts year we will have our minds blown even more! “Dracarys!”

Related to the first Season 3 promo,…
    Comcast OnDemand keeps tweaking me! If Igo to HBO Sereis>>Game of Thrones I see a video for “S3: On Set”, but it’s actually a Boardwalk Empire video. No matter how many times I check it each time I revisit OnDemand I get excited seeing “S3: On Set” listed just below S2: Retold and S3: New Faces…. and then I get annoyed when I see it’s BE. XD

5. Caro H
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Oh yes please give us something this month!! Wonder what they’ll do later to top the seven devils trailer..?

6. sjwenings
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Darquemode: maybe with more time ts year we will have our minds blown even more! “Dracarys!”

I don’t think time has anything whatsoever to do with how much/how good VFX we’ll get. Money is probably all it’s about.

7. sunspear
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Duff Man,

dracarys

8. thora
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

It will be interesting with them filming in the north of Iceland this time around, the weather is quite a bit harsher than in the south. Everything’s covered in snow there right now for example (you can see it on live camera here), while in Reykjavík it’s just raining..

9. Scudder
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

Without enough time, you need enough money to get a lot divisions working on the project at the same time. So if you have money AND time, the result can only be better.

10. Quowala
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Duff Man,

Nah bro.

Doom is coming.

11. Winturd
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

Who is Autumn Storms? sounds bastard-born

12. axia777
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Damn they are filming FAST. With 144 days left I figure that they have a massive amount of post production work to do. CGI and special effects. Stuff like that. man, 144 days is too long to wait. :(

13. hertolo
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Duff Man,

Three Weddings and a Funeral?

Or more seriously, why not go for “Storm of Swords” or even “Kings are Clashing”?

14. Amsterpaul
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I would really like to see a teaser trailer. Last year was “War is Coming” This year should be
    “Here comes the Bride”

15. Lord of Fangs
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I doubt they’ll mention anything about weddings at all. If anything, they’ll downplay it. They aren’t going to want to create any “well SOMETHING must happen at whatever weddings happen this season” buzz…they need it to take people by surprise.

16. King DBC
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

17. Cary Storm
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Amsterpaul,

Only as long as “The Rains of Castemere” are playing along with the tagline.

18. Johan Sporre
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Cat has now tweeted that there will only be a short break before going to Iceland.

19. Sword of the Morning
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

what about the tagline: “Rivers Run Red” ?

20. David
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I just watched John Carter. I don’t know if I like Cirian Hinds as Mance Rayder anymore. But damn Dominic West would’ve been perfect.

21. Stannisdoes not bend
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Tagline: Send my regards

22. Stannisdoes not bend
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

The first teaser for season 2 was posted on September 25, 2011. if u recall that was “the night is dark and full of terrors” teaser. That being said, I’m shocked we have yet to get any teaser trailers for season 3

23. NewJeffCT
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

well, December 2 is my birthday, so it would be a nice birthday present to have a trailer premiere that day…

24. Josh
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Can someone remind me what the teams are again? Wolf, Dragon and ???…and what is each unit filming??? Wolf is obviously Dany, which I originally thought was Dragon, so I’m confused!

25. babar
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Josh,

Raven.

26. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

You crack me up man!

I need to see a trailer soon, can’t go on much longer without one.

27. sjwenings
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Still almost 5 months to go… Man! To think it’s only about 4.5 months since season 2 ended. We’re hardly halfway there.

A trailer and/or behind the scenes-thingy, should sustain me for a while, though… As long as we get one before christmas, I’ll probably live.

28. Maester Victor
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT,

Haha, I was just thinking the same about my birthday at the end of November! I’m getting antsyyyyy….

29. RichMan
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

“blood on the water”

Plenty of deceptive scenes with the W-word

Trailer ->

– Jamie +Brienne in a boat
    – Arya + company in a boat
    – riders crossing a bridge
    – “Welcome to RiverRun”
    – Tully Banners with fish
    – unidentifiable fight on a bridge
    – snow, blackwatch fight by a stream
    – court scene with comment about “find them in the swamp”
    – more fighting on/in a river
    – dead body(s) floating/submerged

30. Grijnwaald
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror,

Yeah I feel the same dude, getting serious GoT withdrawal symptoms now!!

31. Christopher Broadbent
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

The Storm is coming?

32. Ryan E
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

King DBC: I can’t wait for a trailer, but it should definitely not be “Weddings are coming!” I know something should be coming, but not weddings! I mean: Winter, War, Weddings… Odd one out. Though I’m confident they’ll find something good. Someone else a while ago posted a comment saying the trailer should feature a man with a wolf’s head sitting on a throne. That is absolutely genius!!! And the Seven Devils trailer from last year made some big shoes to fill…

I agree, “weddings are coming” is the worst possible tagline.

33. House Snow
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

How about a tagline of Till death do us part

34. House Snow
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Or they can use the line from Robs wedding “on this day until my last day” or just “until my last day”

35. Ser Tahu
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Christopher Broadbent:
    The Storm is coming?

36. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

I’m gonna’ assume that they won’t pull a bone head move by mentioning any weddings in their trailers, since they’re not making these promotional materials to cater to those of us who have read the books. That said, I’m not quite sure what they’ll use for a tag line, but hopefully “storm” and “swords” will be in there.

…We really need a trailer/teaser/behind-the-scenes video…

37. bon
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu: I second this. I am predicting the tagline to either be something along the lines of ‘A Storm is coming’ or something along the lines of ‘The Rains are coming’/’The Rains are Falling’. I would prefer something to do with the word ‘rain’ because of a certain song…

I think that the best can be: “Everyone can be killed” or “there is no safe place to hide”…

38. Tom Storvik
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

I dunno if these are good in the general opinion as you’d probably have to know what will happen for them to have an effect, but I quite like “It will Rain”,”Rain will Fall” or just “Rain Falls”.

Sure they’ll come up with something that’s just as enticing for non-readers as well as book people. Would be much easier to come up with taglines if one knew how they intended to advertise the upcoming season.

39. Nerd
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

I hope more time for VFX + more $ = more direwolves and dragons

40. Lina2
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else see the Game of Thrones facebook page post on Nov 2, “season 3: by the numbers”? It said “Bring on Winter” and I just assumed it was this seasons tagline, but I might be wrong…

41. Lin Beifunk
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 12:15 am | Permalink

The first promo last season said ‘the cold winds are rising’ or whatever, and that didn’t end up being the tagline, did it? It ended up being ‘war is coming’ on all the posters.

Anyway, I’d take the first promo (unless it’s more substantial than a grim Stannis voiceover) with a grain of salt.

42. Ren Snow
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Weeping is coming?

43. Viva
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 2:13 am | Permalink

At the end of S2 in Sean Collins All Leather Must be Boiled blog, he came up with the best one I’ve seen, something along the lines of:

You think you know what is coming. You know nothing.

I love it!

44. babar
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Serious shit is coming.

45. mags giantsbabe
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 5:32 am | Permalink

David,

Well, that’s a shame. You should see him as a grieving father in The Woman in Black. And I could hardly recognize him in Harry Potter when he played Aberforth.

46. Bannerless Bro
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Anything on the “X is coming” formula sounds horribly cheesy when out of context. The book is full of kick-ass one liners, they should exploit that more…
    Like, “This season is dark and full of weddings“… ok no, but you get the idea…

47. Lexyvil
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Holy hell, my patience is running out. These types of news is what keeps me sane from all this waiting. Only a few months to go…

48. joaquin
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

I dont remember now how to write it but how about valar morgulis for a tag line. Viewers already know this and it goes with what will happen. All men must die.

49. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

joaquin,

I agree. Valar Morghulis should be the tag line. Newbies will be remember it and be intrigued by it. Book Walkers will lap it up.

Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Speaking of taglines, I don’t see why the “X is coming” formula should be used. “You win or you die” was the tagline of S1, “War is coming” the tagline of S2. The second season one worked okay, with a reference to the “winter is coming” phrase often used in S1 (it was never the tagline as such). S2 used “five kings, one throne” here and there on some posters, and I would actually prefer that one as the official tagline, “cold winds are rising” was likewise an associated line. S3 could go anywhere, “X is coming” would be cheesy and too much, I don’t want them to go that way and I’m sure they won’t.

51. joaquin
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Another one i think could work is house tullys words: family duty honor. This themes will be touched by the show.
    Joshua Taylor,

52. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

joaquin,

For sure!

53. Rk76
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

How about “Heads Will Roll”

54. Brian
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

“Moroccan Wrap” sounds like something my sister would eat for lunch.

55. Joaquin
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

Its the name of Episode 7 of the coming season written by George RR Martin.

56. Selmy
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Why is the wolf unit in Morroco? I thought they were filming the Starks and Riverland scenes in Belfast, as the dragon unit was filming King’s Landing and Dany.

**Is the Raven unit for Jon Snow scenes?

57. mags giantsbabe
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Yeah, I’m also wondering about the unit names. I think it’s because they don’t want to make obvious what they are filming where or when, except if they go overseas, then it’s very obvious :)

58. hinka
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:32 am | Permalink

Fire is coming
    Storms are coming
    Sorrow is coming

59. loco73
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:26 am | Permalink

Good tiddings! Can’t wait for some Season Three footage!

60. thora
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:04 am | Permalink

The National Icelandic Broadcasting company states that the Game of Thrones crew will start filming on the 16th of November in Kálfaströnd, by a lake called Mývatn in the north of Iceland. They’ll be filming for eight days, there will be 270 people working, of those about 70 will be Icelanders. Most of the extras will come from a viking fencing club called Rimmugýgur.

The newsstory quotes Snorri Þórisson with Pegasus, the production company in Iceland, who says that the crew wanted some snow for the shoot so they chose the north of Iceland (rather than the south where they were shooting last year), but that when they saw pictures of the situation there now (it’s been snowing a lot), they were shocked.

61. GeekFurious
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 7:53 am | Permalink

My home country is the coolest place on Earth to film… no pun intended. :)