MGoT: In the Trenches with the Special Effects Team
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming, Production.

This week, Making Game of Thrones brings us an interview with Jonathon ‘Jona’ Barrass, the SFX floor supervisor working with the Wolf and Dragon filming units out of the UK and Iceland.

Cat Taylor talked with Barrass in Northern Ireland during the filming of episode 9, and discussed his film and television background in special effects. Here are a few of the highlights, regarding the filming of Game of Thrones.

His “favorite element to play with?

I do like fire. I’ve been asked to do 20-foot rings of fire, with flames that reach 20 feet in the air. The firemen and I are great friends now, because first and foremost it’s got to be safe. I don’t think many people realize that every fire you see, campfire, the columns in the throne room, it’s all SFX. It has to burn the same way all day. It’s really tiny things you’d never notice if it’s right – something as simple as ripples in the water, that has to be the same every take, because otherwise people do notice when it’s wrong.

When asked about the biggest challenge so far, a certain duel comes up. (Answer contains spoilers)

Technically speaking, the flaming sword was definitely a process, in terms of getting it to work. We have these amazing stunt guys and CC Smiff who is a Sword Master, swings the swords so fast it takes a lot not to get the flame to go out. Laurence Harvey in the workshop turned this bit of aluminium into this flaming sword that ignites from nothing. It’s amazing. I think more than anything, I’m looking forward to seeing that fight scene play out.

Then next week, we have this huge challenge coming up with a massive amount of gas. There may be some burning; there may be a lot of burning, in fact. We have these giant gas tankers you see on the roads, and we can empty that in 20 minutes – gone, so we’ve got to set that up, make it safe and make it work.

As for his favorite character? Barrass says, “Tyrion, definitely – everything he does is just brilliant!”

Ours is the Fury:  The interview is very enjoyable; I recommend visiting the blog to read the entire post. And I can’t wait to see that duel!

1. GrzebykK
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

2. Harimad-sol
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Wildlings jumping 4 foot walls in episode 9? I guess more than the RW happens in episode 9. Very excited.

3. Joaquin
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Does this mean we are going to see wildlings over the wall?. I think i know where jons story line ends.

4. Nezzer
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Joaquin,

I hope so, that is a very important scene. And is that hill on the pic High Heart? I wonder if we will see the Ghost of High Heart.

5. snipz
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

So the Wildling’s attack on Castle Black AND the Red Wedding all in episode 9? That means the deaths of Robb, Caitlin and Ygritte in one episode, it’s gonna leave people pretty heavy hearted.

6. sunspear
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

This doesn’t sound like he was talking purely about episode 9. That’s pretty late in the season for the duel.

Nezzer,

I doubt it, what with the writers general avoidance of prophecies.

7. Rk76
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

6th….feast on my 6thness

8. Ours is the Fury
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

He’s definitely not just talking about episode 9. He’s discussing the entire season, especially when it comes to the duel, which will happen more toward the middle of the season.

9. sunspear
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I’m not going over to the blog, but are they confirming the battle for castle Black and death of Ygritte are in this season?

Rk76,

No, feast on MY 6thness.

10. Harimad-sol
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,
    I agree he was talking about the whole season, but didn’t the article say that they had to pause their conversation for David Nutter to shoot a scene with wildlings for episode 9? Still fun to speculate.

11. Ours is the Fury
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Harimad-sol,

Yeah that part, although Nutter is directing both 9 and 10, but if we take the blog at its word, that scene is in ep 9. But not the duel.

12. Darquemode
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I’m trying to recall the details of the village outside Queenscrown where Jon escapes the WIldlings… It had some ruins, but did it have 4-foot high walls?

That is one of the natural break points for the story so it could be in episode 9 or 10 and not steal any of the thunder from the RW like the first assault on the Wall and Ygritte’s death would.

I trust the writers to handle the RW well and give it the screen time it deserves. I worry if other powerfuly emotional deaths in the same episode could detract from it somewhat…. Likely not I guess.

ETA:
    Could the rings of fire and massive fire he refers to be Astapor and “Dracarys”? Of course it could be Mole’s Town burning too….. Hard to know exactly when this interview took place….

13. bon
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

If I recall it right there was a house with a tree inside it and probably another house. They could have 4 foot high wall if it was a halfdugout like this: http://www.muzeumnadwislanskie.pl/pic/b398_2292pl1.jpg or this http://bogactwogarbowa.dzs.pl/img/pa300335.jpg.

But I don’t think that they will kill Ygritte this season. Think next season Jon’s arc will start with the first attack on the Wall and final episode will end with Stannis relief or they will choose a new Lord Commander if they want it quick, but I don’t think that will happen in season 4, rather early in season 5…

That big fires. Rings of fire – Dracarys, but those cisterns it has to be outside of Twins.

14. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

bon,

If Stannis doesn’t arrive at the Wall until season 5 then he would pretty much be non-existent for 2 seasons. He’ll be at the Wall by the middle of season 4, surely.

15. Watson
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

When he talks about the rings of fire it’s not really clear that he’s even talking about something on Game of Thrones, let alone this season.

Posted November 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Cool interview! Filled with lots of fun details for us fans to speculate on. My thoughts:

-The flaming sword is obviously from Beric and the Hound’s duel. I can’t wait to see that on screen. I hope Alik Sakharov shot that episode, he seems to have a very cinematic eye, especially when it comes to using fire (he came up with the shot of Theon burning the letter, which is one of my favorite shots in the series).
    -My initial thought for the gas tankers was “Dracarys” but we know that scene was shot in Morocco. They are probably being used in the Red Wedding or possibly the wilding raid on Castle Black.
    -I’m guessing the wildlings jumping the wall is from Jon’s escape at Queenscrown. If I remember the town is in ruins, so a 4-foot wall makes sense. That would mean that Jon escapes from the wildlings in episode 9 and puts the attack on Castle Black from the south and Ygritte’s death in the season finale, as I speculated.

17. Arkash
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

It would be logical for Jon to escape Queenscrown in episode 9 since we all can guess there is only one scene back at the Wall (according to what the actor who plays Pyp said), and this scene would be ep 10…

Means GRRM didnt write the Queenscrown scene like many here wished.

18. sunspear
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: doesn’t arrive at the Wall until season 5 then he would pretty much be non-existent for 2 seasons. He’ll be at the Wall by the middle of season 4, surely

Yeah, I figure they’ll have pretty much all of ASOS done by episode 6. They will probably save Uncat and Littlefinger killing Lysa for episode cliffhangers though.

19. Carne
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

I honestly doubt they’ll kill of Ygritte this season. My money on the Castle Black attack being in season 4.

Posted November 12, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

I was surprised by the mention of that much fire used … I agree it’s most likely the raid, though I didn’t imagine it that fiery.

21. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

they want it to be impressive I gather after all the bulk of the Stark contingent is massacred and burned alive. All this going on as Robb and his retinue are massacred inside. This gives me goosebumps. This is going to be truly awful. Epic but awful.
    Michael McElhatton will be quote popular/infamous after this.

22. brightroar
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

fire is definitely for when Jon and Co. burn the stairs to the wall killing most of the thenns including styr.

23. Darquemode
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Tryng to think of firey scenes that could be in Season 3…
    - stapor ablze from “Dracarys!”….
    – The Night’s Watch burning the dead brothers….
    – Melisandre/ Stannis’s vison of the battle vs the Great Other….
    – Riverlands villages being pillaged and burned by Gregor etc..
    – Thoros’s vision of the Riverun in flames
    – Tents outside the Twins ablaze…

- Mole’s Town burning.

I may have missed some, but of those I think the tents outside The Twins could be 20-foot diameter set ablaze burning 20 feet high sounds most likely to me. I can see that going through a cistern in 20 minutes like he mentions.

Still not sure about the 4-foot walls. I did a quick skim and saw that Castle Black’s walls are 10-feet high. Of course they could tweak the size of the defenses easily…. I still think it could be outside the Queenscrown though. Ruins could be about 4-feet tall and they could be either running after Jon or trying to evade Summer.

I’m not sold that we will see the first assult on The wall in Season 3. It makes sense to me to have this season be about Jon’s time away from the Wall and then next season be about Jon’s time back at the Wall including the assaults. Plus if only one scene with Pyp was filmed it seems unlikely to me that a battle will occur at the wall next Season too.

I like the information coming out now that filming is winding down!
    We can glean where the various story arcs will end, or at least make educated guesses based on news and rumors and not just personal feelings.

Bring on the promotional season!

24. Bannerless Bro
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

THIS, SO MUCH THIS.
    I really doubt they are going to end Jon’s story this season with the wildlings crossing the Wall. It must be Queenscrown. That also tells us something: ep.9 won’t be the RW. The whole episode at Queenscrown happened after the RW in the books. But, well, they can change that too, so it’s not a very precise guess.

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,

Ep 9 is the RW. David Nutter is directing.

26. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

A woman is so pleased to find out that there will indeed be a special sword, which will be extra-terrifying to fight against for any who would encounter it. That is going to look so cool! Bravo SFX!

27. Nezzer
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Carne,

I’m a bit unsure, but I think that if they save it for season 4, Ygritte’s death won’t have much impact, as people wouldn’t be as attached to her for having spent a year without seeing her. And we all know D&D want to shock the viewers as best as they can. Moreover, it wouldn’t be very convenient for them to call Rose Leslie again for a single episode on S4. That’s why I believe we’ll see her death on episode 10 of S3

28. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Nezzer,

I doubt Rose would mind getting called back, what with young love and that.

29. Alan
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:30 am | Permalink

I’m sure the 4-foot walls could be Queenscrown, and yes, it seems almost likely, but I really enjoy how everyone thinks that the level of adaptive fidelity here actually extends to exact heights of walls. As if someone is measuring each wall in comparison to the books.

30. tysnow
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:43 am | Permalink

brightroar,

There are no stairs in HBO’s version of Castle Black, look at the first season shots.

31. Nezzer
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

But mayhaps HBO would mind calling her back for a single scene. Well, actually they did it with Jason Momoa, though, so it’s not that unlikely =D
    I’d still prefer to see Ygritte die on S3, though.

32. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Nezzer,

Meh I like Rose Leslie and I like Ygritte, if they kill her in the main attack on Castle Black it gives Jon’s season 4 arc more oomph. Her death wouldn’t mean anything to most audiences immediately after the Red Wedding. They will still be numbed by that atrocity. Leslie’s Ygritte is way more likeable than the text Ygritte so better to give the battle on the wall that extra drama in season 4, especially when Stannis shows up.

33. WildSeed
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Sounds like ser Beric with his flaming sword goes up against a man
    proving his honour ( maybe Sandor ? ) , and Thoros of Myr staring into the
    flames.
    More creative but elemental puzzle pieces moving into place
    for season three, this team will add continuity where needed.

If we’re speculating here that the Wildlings are jumping the Wall, or
    possibly Jon’s escape from the camp ruins with Summer’s help, I guess
    my hopes of a mention of Donal Noye being cast is out.

The smaller height does likely mean the camp within the house ruins,
    I believe it was Queens Crown.

34. Andy
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 4:51 am | Permalink

I had to read Barrass’s first quote a few times because I kept reading ripples as nipples. Then again, with this show, nipples are always a possibility.

35. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,

Queenscrown happened long before the Red Wedding in the books. Jon was back at the wall before that took place.

36. Caro H
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 7:04 am | Permalink

The duel!!! <3

37. The_Rabbit01
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Wildlings and the wall:

Could be two things:
    Queenscrown
    Or wildings climbing the WALL – (with CGI added later on).

Having in mind it is Ep. 9: the latter could suggest the end of the season with Jon returning ti Castle Black.

38. Eleanor
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Call me a softie, but I’m not excited about the RW at all, the way most commenters seem to be. It makes me so sad and I always skip that bit in the book when rereading. Watching it in GoT will be far worse than a reread because of

-visuals
    -Robb being far more of a person in the show

and frankly I’m dreading it.

Posted November 13, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

As to the rings of fire: when I read that I though he meant the pyre in the S1 finale. And I still do :)

40. bon
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Melisandre spoke about three deaths. In 3rd season there will be not more than 2, perhaps. Stannis will have his third in 4th season, but in the finale (or ep. 9) of it he will arrive at Castle Black, but I’m not sure that NW will choose their new LC in season 4. About that I was my thinking. If Joffrey will die in episode 2 or 3 of 4th season. Stannis can set sails in episode 4 of that season.

41. Lisa
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Imo it wouldn’t make any sense to kill Ygritte during the big battle at the Wall.
    a) The wildling army in that battle attacked from the North of the Wall whereas Ygritte and the group she’s with is already south of the Wall.
    b) The viewers wouldn’t have seen Ygritte for quite a few episodes because she’s not with Jon anymore, so her death wouldn’t affect them more imo.

I really like the idea to end Jon’s storyline this season with the first attack on Castle Black and Ygritte’s death. It would also be nice to have their romance thingy built up and then ended in the same season and not dragged on into the next season.

42. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Lisa,

Your assuming of course they are going to follow the book exactly.

43. Bannerless Bro
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Well, they mention fire a lot, so let me remind you: during the time between Blackwater and the return of Davos, Mel built up kind of a Burning Man festival at Dragonstone, and there are some hint’s that Shireen will take Edric’s place as sacrifice… the rings of fire may be part of these scenes.

I will use this opportunity as an excuse to tell you my guess on Davos story this season: instead of building up a conspiracy to smuggle Edric out of Dragonstone, Davos will find the NW letter at the last moment before the sacrifice, and interrupt the ceremony just before the fire is lit. It will surely be a storm of feelings when the barely literate Davos reads the letter in front of the court to save the boy/girl ;_;

44. Lisa
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Well, even if they change stuff, I fail to see how they’re going to have Ygritte and her group first south of the Wall and then suddenly north of the Wall to attack Castle Black during the big battle. There would have been no point in crossing the Wall in the first place if they did it like that. There is the possibility that the wildlings attack from the North and the South at the same time but I don’t really see how that’s feasible to be honest.

45. Abyss
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Bannerless Bro: and there are some hint’s that Shireen will take Edric’s place as sacrifice

For real? What kind of hints? Haven’t heard anything.

46. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:27 am | Permalink

bon:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

Take a look at your example. If Stannis doesn’t reach the wall until episode 9, then he isn’t going to do anything for 8 episodes, and that’s not getting into the fact that he’s already barely doing anything in Season 3. Not to mention they would need to stretch out the fighting on the wall for most of the season, which would be way to expensive.

There is going to be a decent amount of AFFC and ADWD material in Season 4. We need to accept that.

47. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Abyss,

It’s mainly just assumed because Shireen has been cast and Edric Storm hasn’t. Shireen is the best fit to replace Edric, and without the leeches plotline, Stannis has no purpose at all season 3.

48. Bannerless Bro
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Abyss,

Well, not hints… more like my wild mind guessing… There are no news of Edric being casted, only Shireen; and important character like Edric would have been casted along Shireen, so I think she will take his place in the show.

49. Darquemode
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I just saw an ad for this on Amazon…..
    ***Today Only***
    (At least according to the ad I saw)

60% Off Inside HBO’s Game of Thrones: The Collector’s Edition
    $59.99 with the deal!!

50. bon
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

sunspear,

Fighting at Wall don’t need to have many battle scenes. Remember that Jon is in cell for some time and in this time wildlings stoped their advance. About Stannis: He will do nothing? I’m sure that D&D have added few scenes for Stannis. We just don’t know what exactly Stannis is doing, because Davos is not there. Somewhere I read that there was a scene shot in which he walks with Melisandre at Dragonstone beach. Remember he dissapears from SoS just after Purple Wedding and pumps again at Castle Black battle. Ok. He may arrive in s4 episode 7, but I think it can be rush, but it is only a specualtion. Stannis can be again in one of the episodes before his nother big battle like in S2 and we will se him sending Davos to White Harbor.

51. joaquin
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Remember that the freyes burned the tents of the certain men during the RW
    Hear Me Roar,

52. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

bon,

I just find it much more likely that they will start in on the plotlines from episodes 4 and 5 than add 3-4 episodes worth of filler.

53. Alan
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

sunspear: I don’t know where people are getting this idea that Season 4 is going to consist entirely of the last third of ASOS. There really isn’t enough content to stretch out beyond probably episode 6.

That’s not really true. The last 2/3 of Swords has an amazing amount of plot. There are some shorter storylines, yes, but there is plenty to show. There will be some Feast and Dance — I think they may introduce one of the three major new sets of characters in Season 4 to keep from overloading Season 5 (Dorne, Iron Islands, Mereen), but you could easily stretch out the last 2/3rds of Storm to cover ten episodes without it ever feeling slow, depending on where you end Season 3.

That said, I expect Stannis to re-appear earlier in Season 4 than Episode 9; Jon still has the whole Lord Commander plotline to play out.

54. Abyss
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Bannerless Bro,

As more as I think about it, I like your idea. Edric is even more a side character than Shireen is. Combining the two in her saves an actor, gives Shireen a stronger plot line and will make Stannis sacrifice for the Red God more personal.

55. Alan
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

People always seem to forget how much plot Jon has in Storm:

Meet with Mance/Tormund –> Travel to the Wall/Sexy time with Ygritte –> Climbing the Wall –> Queenscrown –> Assault on the Wall from the South/Ygritte’s Death –> Assault of the Wall from the North/Donal Noye/Multi-Day battle –> Incarceration –> Sent to assassinate Mance/Arrival of Stannis –> Offer of Winterfell/rigging the LC election.

Most of these can be multiple scenes — really should be. If they only get to the fifth one in season 3, that still leaves 5 or so major elements for Season 4.

56. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Lisa,

I agree with you on that, but there’s no reason why Ygritte can’t double back and join the vanguard after the operation is a bust.

Keep in mind I would not be upset if what you suggest occurs i am merely arguing from a showrunner’s perspective.

57. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Alan,

The last 1/3 is all that’s going to be left by the end of season 3. That’s only about 376 paperback pages. To put that in perspective, AGOT is 808 paperback pages, and that was a whole season.

The fact that most of the stuff from that section of the book is unlikely to be streamlined and edited will help, but it’s not going to come close to the full season.

58. Joaquin
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

bon,
    I hope they show Stannis throwing the leeches to the fire filled with kings blood and him saying then names of the usurpers

59. Joaquin
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

Disagree, theres plenty of material. Dorne, the Eyrie, The Wall, Bran, etc

60. Rk76
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

That’s what I get .trying to count without using my fingers…

61. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Joaquin,

Dorne isn’t in ASOS, and Bran has maybe one chapter from ASOS that would be included in season 4.
    I do think Dorne, the Kingsmoot, and some of Bran’s scenes will be included in Season 4, but again, that’s getting into the AFFC and ADWD plot.

62. bon
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

sunspear:
    Joaquin,

One season in which Iron Islands are not shown is enough. Balon will probably die in season 3, which we probably won’t see and it’s just logical that in season 4 there must be Kingsmoot and introduction of new characters and it probably end with Victarion setting sails to find Dany. Simple.
    Bran: Really you think that D&D will show only one chapter of Bran from SoS in season 4? I think that they will give him all chapters from DwD, because he has his plotline completely out off the conection with other plotlines. Rickon and Osha will probably be shown in S4. We will probably see where they will be heading. It’s my little theory.

63. sunspear
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

bon,

You don’t seem to understand what we were arguing about. We were debating how much of AFFC/ADWD would be included in season 4. I DO think the Kingsmoot and Dorne will be included that season, though I doubt they’ll send Victarion to Dany that soon. And yes, they will include Bran scenes from ADWD. I was only saying that Bran only has one chapter from ASOS that would be included as well.

64. tysnow
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

If I remember correctly, some of the material in AFfC and DwD occurs concurrently with the end of SoS and some material happens prior to the end of SoS. Therefore the Battle on the Wall will more than likely be in Ep. 9 of season 4.

65. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

That would mean Stannis wouldn’t arrive at the Wall until the season 4 finale, at the earliest. There is no way they delay his arrival that long. Remember, the battle at the Wall takes place over several days. Once it is over, Janos Slynt arrives and has Jon arrested. He spends some time in an ice cell and is eventually sent to treat with Mance and ordered to kill him to prove his loyalty to the NW. This is where Stannis arrives. From there Stannis offers to legitimize Jon and name him Lord of Winterfell. But before he makes his decision, he is elected LC. That is all from ‘A Storm of Swords’. All of that will be in season 4. I expect the battle at the Wall to be around episode 4 or 5. There is no way I see it being delayed until episode 9 of S4.

66. Maggie Giantsbabe
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Lisa,

I wonder if there isn’t a possibility that, for the sake of streamlining, Ygritte’s death might be changed. Say, she gets caught by Janos and company in season four and they know she is the woman Jon broke his vows with, so they torture and kill her and dangle this fact in front of Jon, which makes Janos’s beheadment by Jon later so much sweeter. Just a suggestion.

67. Maggie Giantsbabe
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Yay, my spoiler tagging worked :)

68. Pau Soriano
    Posted November 20, 2012 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Maggie Giantsbabe:
    Joshua Taylor,

Lisa,

That’s a horrible, horrible suggestion ;) They won’t change how Ygritte died, ’cause that’s one of the strong points of the book…she WILL die in Jon’s arms, no doubt about it. And I think that will happen on season’s 3 finale. Season 4 will start with The Siege of Castle Black (my favourite bit from SoS) , slowly building up the tension till Stannis arrives towards the middle of the season, and Jon’s story arc will end with him being elected commander, toward the end of the season, pretty much like in the book Those are my predictions for Jon’s story arc in season 3 and 4. All in all, I don’t think D&D will depart much from the book ’cause is pretty close to perfection

1. […] is the Fury: After reading the interview with the show’s SFX floor supervisor about creating the flaming sword effects for Beric and […]