Podcastin’
By Winter Is Coming on in General.

There are scores of podcasts out there for Game of Thrones and Song of Ice and Fire fans. We’ve highlighted some in the past, but it has been a while and even more have popped up, so it is high time we do so again.

First off, is a brand-spankin’ new podcast called The Sorrowful Men. From those who brought you A Flight of Sorrows, The Sorrowful Men seek to go in-depth with the book series, as well as engage in some TV show discussion from time to time. Their first episode can be found on YouTube in four parts, although I suspect some RSS or iTunes options may come along eventually.

If you are looking for a podcast that is more focused on the TV series, Game of Owns might be for you. This podcasting team is made up of newer fans of the series, who were lured into the fandom via the TV series first, so their fresh takes on the story are interesting to hear. They are currently working their way through the first book, while also discussing the latest TV show news. In addition, they recently had “Hodor Week” where they celebrated all things Hodor! As a capper, they had Kristian Nairn on their podcast and chatted Thrones and more with him.

Speaking of Kristian Nairn, he has his own podcast, called Showbiz & Welfare, which he co-hosts alongside fellow actor and friend Jake Stormoen. They talk way more than just Game of Thrones, of course, touching on everything from movies to World of Warcraft. They recently had on Isaac Hempstead Wright, which is definitely worth a listen, as hearing Hodor and Bran converse on a podcast is awesome.

Winter Is Coming: So there you go, WiCnet faithful. Some podcasts to hopefully help pass the time during these long days of waiting for the next season. Are there any others that you listen to and would recommend? Let us know in the comments!

1. Ash
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:21 am | Permalink

First!!!

2. Duff Man
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Not a podcast, but Jon Stewart worked a George Martin joke/reference into a bit last night on the Daily Show. Good stuff!

3. Ismael Isak
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

San Fransisco comedians Ivan Hernandez and Red Scott have a hilarious podcast called Boars Gore and Swords. They currently are wrapping up Clash of Kings

4. Mirri Maz
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

The Boiled Leather Podcast is mostly discussions about the books and they come up with a different subject to analyse every podcast.

Cast Of Thrones do the show when it’s on and then book club in the off season.

5. Noga
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Boars, Gore and Swords!!! You need to listen to that one.

6. Tolgeros
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

How is it you guys have failed to mention Cast of Thrones twice now?

7. Lord AJ
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

There’s a spanish Game of Thrones and a Song of ice and fire podcast at: http://www.juegodetronos.com.ar/

8. Julia Mathias
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Boars, Gore and Swords is really funny, it is hosted by two comedians, Red Scott and Ivan Hernandes, they cover both the tv show and the books, and are currently finishing the Clash Of Kings read through.

I’m also really enjoying History Of Westeros. They are not so tv focused, but most of their episodes are spoiler free, and they let you know if there are spoilers ahead. They go in pretty deep in the history of the world, and for those that only watch the tv show, it can be pretty useful to know more about all the studd they don’t have time to mention in the tv show.

Some of my other favorite GOT podcast are (all available on iTunes):

In season (means they only do episodes when GoT is airing):
    A Cast Of Kings
    A Pod Of Casts
    Game Of Thrones Afterbuzz
    The Game Of thrones podcast with Jay and Jack
    The Night’s Watch

Off-season:
    Cast Of Thrones
    A Podcast of Ice and Fire (for book readers only)
    Podcast Winterfell
    The Boiler Leather Hour
    Tyrion’s Landing

9. Julia Mathias
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

I’m also really enjoying History Of Westeros. They are not so tv focused, but most of their episodes are spoiler free, and they let you know if there are spoilers ahead. They go in pretty deep in the history of the world, and for those that only watch the tv show, it can be pretty useful to know more about al the stuff they don’t have time to cover in the tv show.

Some of my other favorite GOT podcast are:

In season (means they only do episodes when GoT is airing):
    A Cast Of Kings
    A Pod Of Casts
    Game Of Thrones Afterbuzz
    The Game Of thrones podcast with Jay and Jack
    The Night’s Watch

Off-season:
    Cast Of Thrones
    A Podcast of Ice and Fire (for book readers only)
    Podcast Winterfell
    The Boiler Leather Hour
    Tyrion’s Landing

10. Winturd
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I found GRRM having some fun on MTV!! A song of ice and fire vs lord of the rings: http://www.themarysue.com/game-of-thrones-lord-of-the-rings-battles/
    ..funny though he only picked the lannisters [tyrion, jaimie] winning over their LoTR counterparts.. I always find the greatest videos..

11. Rootboy
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Thirded for Boars, Gore, and Swords.

12. Crozyr
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Every Monday when I take the train to the university I listen to Boars Gore and Swords. It makes it even funnier when all the other people with their grim faces look at me in disbelief when I burst out lauhging all of a sudden 6.30 in the morning :P

13. Queensmoot
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Crozyr,

My first loyalty is always to apoiaf, but I love Boars Gore and Swords. Two people just left the study table I’m at my university over me giggling about Red’s love of Newsroom.

14. Grijnwaald
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I really enjoy these podcasts! The Showbiz & Welfare podcast with Kristian, Isaac and Jake was especialy cool, I recomend you lot listen to that, they’ve got some cool stuff coming soon including an app and the Yogscast as guests!

15. babar
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

From comicbookmovie.com, what seems to be the first official teaser poster for S3:

16. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I’m going with PODCAST WINTERFELL for the Season One re-watch after having seen Season Two podcasts!

17. WildSeed
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Ismael Isak:

Hey, thanks for that !

18. WildSeed
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks Winter is Coming, for helping the blind find their way.

Other than here, it’s a bit like having maester Aemon read to you, or recollect
    from his days at the Citadel.

19. TheNed
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Pain spiders all the way.

20. Sapphireth
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I can’t listen to any other GOT podcasts except Boars, Gore and Swords, nothing else compares…

21. PW
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Any action is good, but the background seems to be a floor grade porcelain tile

22. Teproc
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I want to reiterate the love for Boars, Gore and Swords, but with a disclaimer. Don’t listen to the first few episodes. They were pretty clueless back then, and while their cluelesness is fun, it was a bit too much at first.

I’d probably start with their book club for Game of Thrones basically (i.e skipping the episodes about the first season of the show).

Also, they do awesome predictions. Sometimes funny and completely off-base, sometimes scarily accurate.

23. areacode212
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Hmm, History of Westeros sounds really interesting. I just downloaded a few episodes so I’ll give it a shot.

I only listen to 2 ASOIAF podcasts right now:
    A Cast of Kings and Boars, Gore and Swords

A Cast of Kings (hosted by Dave Chen & Joanna Robinson) only reviews the TV episodes (they only started with Season 2), and while I enjoy their discussions in general, Game of Thrones tends to set off a few of Dave and Joanna’s pet issues, which drags down the podcast a little bit, because it leads to a lot of ranting. Dave is great on The /Filmcast (one of his other podcasts), but it can be really tedious to listen to him going on and on with the same complaints that he has with GoT every week. Then it gets worse when he addresses e-mailers and commenters who disagree with him, and it just spirals into a morass of bitching. Other than that, they do have decent discussions about the show, but it’s still best when there’s a third chair such as Myles McNutt. Dave and Joanna do a Breaking Bad podcast that’s a little more enjoyable.

Boars, Gore and Swords (hosted by Red Scott and Ivan Hernandez) is highly entertaining normally, but it shoots up in quality by a factor of ten when Kelly Anneken appears on the show, because she brings a lot of fun energy to the show and she and Ivan have great banter together. My nitpicks: Red has some annoying verbal tics when he feels the need to say something without really saying anything (“it’s the best”), and there are times when he just needs to step back and let Ivan go off on his crazy digressions without trying to pull him back in. Despite this, the podcast is great, and it’s usually one of the first ones I listen to.

24. Teproc
    Posted November 15, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

areacode212,

Although the Breaking Bad podcast (The Ones Who Knock) has the same issue with the whole Skyler issue. The thing is, I’m kind of on their side (although I think there are grounds to hate Skyler from s1, namely the intervention scene), but hearing them scolding people and reading the most ridiculously misogynistic listener mails to prove their point makes me want to be on the other side of the argument.

I actually think the Cast of Kings podcast has a bit less ranting, or at least less repetitive ranting.

25. unrobb
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I was going to comment on the disappointing lack of BGS, but I see you guys have beat me to it. My third-favorite ASOIAF podcast.