The North Remembers: November 2009
By Hear Me Roar on in Editorial.

WiCnet Alternate LogoIn November 2009, WiC.net celebrated its first year of existence. You want to know what else was going on three years ago? Read on.

•  Filming of the pilot continued and cocluded that month. We got our glimpses of fake snow and a dead direwolf from Tollymore Forest, got some reports from the set, the King’s arrival was filmed, and heard they were using Castle Ward for the first time. Then the production moved to Morocco, and they filmed the wedding scenes there. With the end of the Moroccan shoot, the pilot was done as well. George R.R. Martin was there for the most part and witnessed a lot of the process, reporting from Morocco, and writing more about his trip, including the wrap party.
  • While GRRM was in Belfast, there was a signing organised, as well as the first Belfast moot. It was a momentous occasion with a large number of cast attending, proving how awesome they all are. For the first time, the fans and the actors bonded in an atmosphere of mutual respect (and good fun). I encourage you to go back and read the reports from both events. Good days!
  • We also learned for the first time that a linguist was hired to develop the Dothraki language – that turned out to be David Peterson.
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau talked about the pilot shoot, and mentioned some fan controversies concerning his nose (and thus proving he read our site).

Hear Me Roar: So, what do you remember best from these good old days when the first big stage of getting the show to our screens was completed?

1. Arkash
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

What the heck about the nose ? oO

2. Watson
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

I think you mean 2009.

3. Amsterpaul
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I was sleeping

4. Lula
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Was Lena pregnant?

5. WildSeed
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Nicolaj Coster-Waldau is often amusing. I wasn’t around in 2009 or ’10, for this
    interview, but his interviews reveal a man who doesn’t mind laughing at himself.
    Last year, he made a discussion light about having having screen sex with his
    costar, Lena Headley ( S1 ). He said it was embarrassingly awkward, and the
    moans made him really want to laugh out loud ( or something of that nature ).
    It doesn’t matter whom actress is, it’s just goofy. He also remarked, at another time,
    about his resemblance to the prince in that Shrek movie.

6. WildSeed
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Lula:
    Was Lena pregnant?

Yes, she was and hid it well. Very different from Shadow Baby Mama :D

7. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 3:28 am | Permalink

I think the news about the Dothraki language was one of the reasons I started visiting this site, urged on by GRRM’s Not A Blog. Still not posting though, I am ashamed to say…

8. Johan Sporre
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:03 am | Permalink

As I wasn’t visiting WiCnet yet, nor Westeros, I remember reading George’s blog about there being a meet-up with him and cast in Belfast after the fact, and being sad that I had missed it.

9. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Arkash,

When he was first cast people complained bout his broken nose and that it didn’t fit with Jaime Lannister.

10. Ljerka Jemric
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Yes this was the first moot – the seed for TitanCon – I am proud of being part of it – despite the fact I attended the first two moots through the screen.

11. Arkash
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Aegon theConqueror,

Wow, you really got die hard fanatics fans everywhere then ! ^^

12. Tom
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 7:48 am | Permalink

So thats what wrong with his nose

13. Ashaïese
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Awesome article of the Economist drawing a parallel between game of thrones’ fights for the throne and the battles between internet giants in the real world. Shows that Martin’s masterpiece has really become a “classic” cultural reference.

14. WildSeed
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Ashaïese,

This article is brilliant, I read it earlier, but thanks for posting the link.
    The analogies between the Iron Phone , Seige Engines and Maesters, to
    name a few, are very interesting.

Posted December 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Oh, the memories! This was when I really started following WiC regularly. I remember the dead direwolf and fake snow thing so clearly!

16. dizzy
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Yeah the nose thing was pretty silly.

17. Porcupine Tree
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

I think this was about the time that I started lurking too; just before Season 1 got the green light. A huge amount of water has gone under the bridge since then. So many ‘Gates’