Marketing Season 3
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Speculation.

We’ve already seen the first round of marketing for season three. The release of the teaser poster online was only the begging. Already that teaser is showing up on buses and billboards across the country. The first trailer incorporated a similar design with the premiere date being very prominent. HBO clearly wants people to know when season three premieres.

Eventually, HBO will move on to a more revealing marketing campaign. An official trailer should hit early next year, possibly with the tagline for this season. Shortly thereafter we should see the reveal of the official poster. It will be interesting to see how HBO markets this season. What will they pick as the official tagline? The official tagline for season one was “You Win Or You Die” (the phrase “Winter Is Coming” was used in some promos, but was not the official tagline), while season two’s was “War Is Coming”. Will they go with another variation of the “is coming” theme? Or come up with something new?

And what about the official poster? Season one’s poster was the, now iconic, Ned sitting on the Iron Throne. Season two was the slightly-less-iconic hand holding the crown. What will they come up with for season three? Will they go back to featuring one character? Or maybe multiple characters? Or will they go with another generic image like the crown?

Discuss your ideas for how HBO might approach the marketing this season in the comments.

Winter Is Coming: I know some folks have proposed something like “Weddings are Coming” but I would rather HBO go in an entirely different direction this year. As to the poster, I feel like the Iron Throne is so striking and memorable, it is perfect for the official posters. If they don’t want to feature a character, they should at least find a way to get the throne in there.

1. King DBC
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

A man with a wolf’s head, wearing a crown and sitting on a throne (The Iron Throne?)

2. Johnny Mac
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Something along the lines of…”You know nothing, audience”

3. Richasaurus
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

In my opinion. Weddings are coming is a terrible idea. The red wedding is one of the most important scenes in the series and to spoil in any way would be a pointless risk. “Vengeance is coming” would be decent. It goes into a few storylines, doesn’t spoil anything, and is catchy. It gives people who haven’t read the book a bit of excitement on who is going to exact revenge. :D

4. Direhound
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I wish they could tie in with the books more with “A Storm is coming.” but it wouldn’t give much context to the overall arch of the season in a descriptive way. What was the spanish tagline?

5. King DBC
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Direhound,

‘There will be no shelter from the storm’ or something… It’s a really good one though. Pity they can’t use tormenta, such a cool word!

6. jeremy
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

“Blood Runs Thicker Than Oaths”

7. Steelyuhas
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I like ‘A storm is coming’

8. Watson
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Direhound,

“There will be no shelter from the storm.” I like this a lot better than “A storm is coming,” which, apart from being pretty clichéd, also appeared prominently in the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises.

9. tek
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I like “Revenge is Coming”. Sounds like they would mean the Stark’s will get revenge, when its really alluding to the Freys!

Similar to “Vengeance is Coming” posted above. Great minds!!

10. Richasaurus
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

^^

11. AdrianAegon
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Weddings are Red,
    Betrayals are Blue,
    The world is taking sides,
    In which one are you?

12. Quowala
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

A storm is coming is too generic every other action movie seems to have a tagline about a storm coming. “There’s a storm coming Mr Wanye…”

Season 3 is definitely gonna be harder to market I think. In season 1 Sean Bean was the star and having him sit of the iron throne was obvious. Season 2 went with the whole WAR IS COMING! Thing because it was no secret that war was on the way and that was what it was building to.

Whereas ASOS is where the series takes some realllllllly unexpected terms. Weddings are coming would lay too much significance upon the weddings too soon so non book readers will be tipped off that something will happen at the weddings.

Also I personally really like the season 2 poster (and proudly display it upon my wall)
    I wouldn’t mind another artist rendition like that. And I like the theme of swords that the season 3 trailer and poster has shown so far. Perhaps the poster could be Robb’s sword, Joffrey’s sword and Stannis’s sword resting against the iron throne? Or just hands gripping the hilt of a sword?

13. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

A woman is sure they will come up with a suitably mystifying tagline. Whatever they do, does everyone here remember there are spoilers in some of your comments? Aren’t we trying to keep the site safe for non-readers? Some of those above need spoiler tags WiC!

14. sunspear
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

‘Valar Morghulis’ and ‘Dracarys’ might make for good taglines. But if they want a line in english instead of High Valyrian, I’d go with ‘There will be no shelter from the storm’.

15. Watson
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

“And who are you that I must bow so low?”

16. Rygar
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

“Jaime Lannister sends his regards”

Then a picture of NWC naked in a tub.

17. Lula
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I think it would be something with storm too. I dont know what. The poster we’ve seen has some snow or something, so i think is going to be cool.

18. Spliced
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

“Now The Rains Weep”

19. AdrianAegon
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Where is Betrayal… There is Revenge.

20. TheLightningLord
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve always thought that ‘The Red Will Run’ would be a good one.

21. Duff Man
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

“Shit hits the fan”

22. Slothrop
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

“Chaos is coming.”

23. AdrianAegon
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

or something else that is linked to Betrayal!
    as was “War is coming!” which alluded directly to Blackwater, and “You Win or You Die” to Ned’s faith, so probably, they will link the tagline to the climatic RW.

24. Perkins
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Give it to Dany

25. theImp
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

“pick your side ” ???
    “the north remembers” probably be better for season 4
    “you know nothing” i like

26. AdrianAegon
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

fate*

27. Dave
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Not to be a debbie downer, but it would really shock me if there is anything related to betrayal/oaths/revenge. I doubt HBO wants people sitting there the week before episode 9 thinking to themselves “well there hasn’t been any betrayals yet, so there will probably be one this week, at the upcoming wedding.”

28. Shady_Grady
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Whatever they decide I hope there is absolutely nothing hinting at weddings. The RW has to come as a literal punch in the gut. The RW will be a Rubicon for unspoiled viewers. Either they will stop watching or accept that bad things and worse go on in GRRM’s world.

I would like something like “The Land Bleeds” or “Your father was no friend of mine” or ” A dragon is no slave”.

29. glenn
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I feel the poster should be of the iron throne with the main “players” surrounding it. joffrey sat on it with hands blood red. cersei behind with a “watching over him” feel. then tyrion, stannis, robb and dany stalking towards it.

30. PhilV
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Somethin simple like

Pic: White Walker
    Tag : Fear

31. Richasaurus
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Dave:

There will be betrayals before that i am sure. To the non reader it can also mean revenge from season 1 is finally coming around the corner. I doubt they will pick the wedding as the big spoiler with that title preview

32. caroh
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Like “There will be no shelter from the storm” very much, but idk, maybe something with the word retribution in it?
    i know they’ll do well in the end with whatever they go with

33. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

King DBC,

Way way way too spoilerish!

34. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

“Death and Life. Ice and Fire”

35. NewJeffCT
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

A Lion Still Has Claws? Over a picture of the Lannister banner.

Or, another line from The Rains of Castamere?

36. Hertolo
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I like the idea of an empty Iron throne with swords besides it.

But why not chose a dragon? Dany with Drogon behind her? You can’t go further away from weddings than this ;)

As for the tag lines, I really would have liked a clash of kings for season 2, but they didn’t. So I don’t think they will go with any variation of the storm theme. Though the “No Shelter from this Storm” does sound really good.

I agree they will not chose anything linking to weddings (too spoilerish), betrayal (again) or even revenge which just seems too dark to me…

37. Nick_Scryer
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

The Sword in the Storm.
    The Eye of the Storm approaches.
    Prepare to weather the Storm.
    Everything you’ve known, has been the calm before the storm.
    When the Storm has passed, so too will many a man.
    Face the storm that most of us have long feared.

38. Durendaele
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Enter the frey

39. Josh Parker
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Whether we like it or not, the tagline will likely be “_______ is Coming”.

I like “Vengeance is Coming”, while “Betrayal is Coming” sounds cool but could be too spoilerish. Not to mention there’s betrayal of some sort in almost every episode.

There doesn’t necessarily need to be any reference to storms or swords.

Sorry I’ve been absent a while. Busy getting married.

40. Isabelle
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Johnny Mac,

Or just keep it as “You Know Nothing.”

41. Alan
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Do people really think there’s going to be strong spoiler elements or have the tagline be very much an inside joke nod to bookreaders?

I think the focus on the tagline versus the visual is overstated (I mean, really, an official tagline? As opposed to the other things they say?).

But that said, they’ve gone incredibly simple, no spoilers or inside comments to date. And frankly, both have been pretty mediocre. Which makes sense, given that they are simple, non-spoilery, and can be understood in a general way by everyone.

These are taglines meant to generate excitement amongst people with HBO who might forget to watch/are on the fence or have never watched.

None of us on here are the target market for these. We’re nice to haves, but we’ll certainly be had even if the tagline is “hodor.”

42. Isabelle
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker:

Sorry I’ve been absent a while. Busy getting married.

Congrats!!!

Hopefully your wedding was full of joy and completely absent of Stark blood! XD

43. Pointy End
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

jeremy,

I actually like this one. It basically just hints at death and betrayal, which play important roles in SOS but its not like there hasn’t been any of that in previous seasons.

44. Alan
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Isabelle:
    Johnny Mac,

Or just keep it as “You Know Nothing.”

This is actually the only “inside” comment I can see them using. Mostly because if you position it to the audience as “this show is unexpected and therefore interesting to watch” it works.

45. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

As long as it doesn’t include ‘____ is Coming’, I’m fine.

46. Amsterpaul
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I think that they will go with a marriage theme for the poster this year. Weddings are Coming!

47. GregoftheNorth
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

First time poster, long time lurker,

I was thinking any part of the Nights Watch Oath would be good for a tagline, some examples…
    I am the sword in the darkness.
    I am the watcher on the wall.
    I am the fire that burns against the cold.
    I shall wear no crowns and win no glory.
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.

or perhaps…
    Fear is Coming
    The long night is coming

I also like the idea of a line from rains of castamere.

48. Quowala
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Durendaele,

That. Is Genius. Hahaha.

Betrayal breeds betrayal…

49. Brightstar
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

“All men must die…”

50. blatz
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

“the real enemy is the cold….It burns, it does. Nothing burns like the cold”

51. blatz
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

“All men must die, Jon Snow. But first, we’ll live.”

Edit: HAH Brightstar beat me to it.

52. Selmy
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I thought about them maybe using Arya’s ”Anyone can die”, but too spoilerish. Could be:

”The Rains will Fall”
    ”There’s no place to hide” – Meera
    ”One king means peace” – Davos

But it’ll surely be something completely different.

53. Joaquin
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I really like for a tagline House Tullys words: Family, Duty, Honor. This three things can be applied to all the storylines. I like also All men must die.
    I would like to see in the poster Berics sword on fire.

54. SJGIM
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I don’t think they will do anything alluding to the wedding personally. As both the previous taglines have focused on events in the Seven Kingdoms, I would love to see one alluding to Dany’s storyline. I think most show fans at this point already know something is going to happen at a wedding. A friend that reads the series I have been very careful not to spoil by not even mentioning anything in passing texted me two days ago saying “I now know the significance of the red wedding…”

55. Horatio
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

So here’s a question. Since the season’s posters have so far been used as covers for the TV-tie-in versions of the novels, what do they do now that book 3 will be getting split in half, and books 4 and 5 will obviously be merged into some number of seasons? You wouldn’t want someone who reads each book after its corresponding season to read the entirety of book 3 if they thought, based on the new cover, it was the same as season 3. Do they release a Storm of Swords part 1 and 2 as has been done in some other countries? Release a chronologically blended version of books 4 and 5 (this would actually be interesting).

56. sbj2k1
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

In the poster area, season 1 was the iron throne, season 2 was the crown. My guess is season three will feature a sword. This goes with the original US book covers, book 1 had the throne embossed, book 2 a crown, book 3 sword, book 4 crows, etc…

57. mariamb18
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

I also think that the line “Anyone can be killed” could be used but it is a bit too ominous.

Another possibility is some sort of re-phrasing of the lines from the graphic tease such as “The War is between Death & Life…Ice & Fire.” I think can work better as a graphic on a poster rather than as the spoken word. Its time to introduce/remind viewers of the opposing themes of ice and fire.

Posted December 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Sorry I’ve been absent a while. Busy getting married.

Congrats and welcome back! Your return reminds me that it is getting close to that time where we start speculating on next season’s casting…

59. Phil
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

“Weddings are coming”??? Who on earth would think that’s a good tagline. That would be like making season 2′s tagline “Get ready for some SanSan!”

60. Pointy End
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Phil,

HAAHHAHAHAHA

61. Durendaele
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

The cold bite of steel

62. Anonymous Ed
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

A bit off topic…but what are the odds that this cool cover art for The Winds of Winter is legit?

63. Palpie
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

“Half me member is twice as long as any other man’s. HAR!”

The season’s tagline should goto the true start of the series.

64. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

The best I’ve seen mentioned:

‘All Men Must Die’
    ‘Family. Duty. Honor.’
    ‘No Shelter from the Storm’

I nominate just the name of the third book: ‘A Storm of Swords’.

65. Chalky White Walker
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

How about “All Men Must Die”?

66. NewJeffCT
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Palpie: “Half me member is twice as long as any other man’s. HAR!”The season’s tagline should goto the true start of the series.

That’s only after a she-bear’s chewed off half of it. HAR!

67. Chalky White Walker
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Yep, totally already suggested. That’s what I get for not reading all the posts. Haha.

68. HMZ
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

“Now My Watch Begins.”

With the image of a frozen Iron Throne.

69. mh
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Something incorporating a flaming sword could be a nice image. People will think it relates to Stannis, but it will actually be Beric’s, which I assume will be much more impressive. At first I was thinking it could be like last season’s image, with just the hand and the sword isntead of the crown, but maybe showing an ominously hidden figure holding a sword, then maybe with Robb holding a sword on one side or Jon holding longclaw and Jaime or Joffrey holding Oathkeeper or Widow’s Wail on the other (if it’s Jaime, maybe he could be holding the sword in his left hand and his right hand could be hidden) to incorporate three swords.

My first thought for a tagline might be something like “Dark Wings, dark words,” but on further thought I don’t think that really captures the feeling of season 3 (It might work better for season 4 actually). How about “Fool’s blood, king’s blood,” paying homage to the absent Patchface? Kind of like how that works. Or maybe something incorporating one of the “three” prophecies omitted from the HotU?

70. feyrband
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

dragons

71. ametalfellow
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Hands of gold are always cold

(Maybe better for season 4?)

72. Alan
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Anonymous Ed:

that’s been around for the while. not real.

Like Family, Duty, Honor and All Men Must Die / Anyone Can Be Killed.

73. ametalfellow
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Hands of gold are always cold…

(This may be better for season 4)

74. Beyond the Wall
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Fifty Shades of Frey

75. Winter's heart
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

The storm arrives 03.31.13

76. Orlando
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Swords cut deep, especially from behind.

Reference to RW, cersei paranoia, jon’s situation, davos’ plan, daenarys’ betrayal

77. Staeven
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

It’s obvious!

“FIRE AND BLOOD”

I can’t believe it hasn’t been mentioned earlier.

78. tweedie
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

A storm is coming seems the logical tagline for me

79. Solar
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

why not call it “a storm of swords”? it seems like the obvious tagline to me.

80. Tom
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

GregoftheNorth,

‘Night Gathers’

81. Walder Wight
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Fade in to a forest road on a cold, windy night. Rain is pouring down and soldiers are slowly marching forward, heads bowed. Stirring music begins to play, and Robb Stark enters on horseback. He looks at his men and nods. The music builds. The soldiers’ faith is restored, for they know their king is with them. Heads held high, they march forward with renewed determination and Robb gallops ahead to lead them. The music reaches a crescendo and a voice is heard, barely a whisper:

“The King in the North arises”

Smash cut to a black screen. The music stops except for a single pounding drum. Words flash on the screen:”GOT” “03.31.13″ “ONLY ON HBO.”

82. Staeven
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Solar,

“Storm of Swords” works for me.

83. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

1)Have Barristan quoting Rhaegar say in a VoiceOver say “he has a song. He is the Prince that was Promised. His is the Song of Ice and Fire”

2) Patchface’s Fools Blood etc aye aye

3) Valar Morghulis

4) All Men must Die

5) “in a coat of gold or a coat of red a lion still has claws….”

6) “something red”

84. Zack
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Whether we like it or not, the tagline will likely be “_______ is Coming”.

I hope they don’t take the trite route. I don’t want to have to roll my eyes at every poster for the remainder of the show.

Plenty of other good suggestions in the thread, I don’t think the marketing team will have any problems being suitably cryptic and clever.

When the show first started, I’d been hoping they’d go with the title of each of the books as that season’s tagline, as you’re not going to improve upon those titles. It gets trickier with books split into multiple seasons, but I’d just take one of the better lines of dialogue from the season and use it as the tagline for those ‘part 2′ seasons.

85. Quowala
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

“Hodor is coming.”

86. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I think too many people believe that ‘Winter is Coming’ was the season one tagline, but as WIC pointed out, ‘You Win or You Die’ was the official tagline.

87. Grijnwaald
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Quowala,

Or just simply, “HODOR”………………whatcha think? Good eh? ;)

88. Drfunk
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Season 3 tagline : Valar Morghulis : All men must die.

Season 4 tagline: The North Remembers

89. Bgap
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

“No Shelter from the Storm” is my favorite so far. Also, the image will have to be a sword (or swords) to be consistent with the first two seasons. (GOT – throne, COK – crown) Maybe a flaming sword striking another sword.

An earlier poster asked a good question about the SOS book re-release with the tie in cover. My guess is they’ll wait until next year with season 4, rather than only release the first half of the book.

90. gecc1
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Staeven,

I was thinking exactly this.
    The most fitting tagline for this season would be:
    FIRE AND BLOOD!

91. Ser Tahu
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

season 3: The Rains Are Falling (or any reference to The Rains of Castamere)
    season 4: Anyone Can Be Killed

I think that ‘Valar Morghulis’ or ‘Dracarys’, although good at hyping people who already watch Game of Thrones, wouldn’t be very good at getting the interest of people who do not watch it. As for ‘The North Remembers’, I think that would suite later seasons better.

92. NoxAeturnus
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

These were already said by sbj2k1 and Solar respectively, but I wanted to put them together since they were my initial thought:

Poster is a sword, possibly just a hand holding a sword. This corresponds to the original covers, which match the titles of the books (Game of THRONES, Clash of KINGS, Storm of SWORDS). A throne for thrones, the best symbol of multiple kings is a crown, and a sword for SOS. On a personal note I think it would be a cool shout out if it was a sword in a severed hand (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Best Tagline: A Storm of Swords. It spoils nothing, nods to the readers, implies there will be violence, and all while connecting this season firmly to the third book. Not saying they’ll use it, just saying I agree with Solar that it is the most logical choice.

Or a funny alternative: Prepare to Cry (you know, tears of joy at all those weddings!). I couldn’t resist playing on Dark Souls tagline.

93. rorschach-
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Put some female bears in to background and Tormund wrestling naked in the snow. Then just one big “HAR”. I’d buy it.

Also “Enter the Frey” would be god damn awesome.

Seriously though, I could bet my kidney that there is no mention of wedding or any inside joke for readers. I go for one big word like “death” or “war” or “vengeance”. Then couple of filler words that connect the meaning into something describing the season like “murdering babies” or “stabbing royalty”.

So the whole tagline would be something like : Vengeance is like murdering sleepin’ babies.

I kinda like it.

94. He Who Slithers
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Yes, perfect–was my first and second reaction. But, since they are splitting aSoS into 2 seasons that might be confusing, and not altogether accurate.

95. Richasaurus
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Tom: The storm arrives 03.31.13

i like ” the storm arrives” or “night gathers”

96. House Snow
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

If they go wedding theme I like:

“Until death do us part ”

or use the WEsteros version from Robb’s wedding

“On this day until my last day”

97. House Snow
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Or if they want’ to us house themes I think

“A Lannister always pays his debt”

works better. Its sort of ambiguous.

98. Mescalinic
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

i still believe that “Anyone can be killed” would be a pretty badass tagline. plus, it can be used with any possible image, even just Arya’s eyes in a dark and blood field.

for season 4, something related to Tyrion’s thoughts about how ” We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us”.

99. Adam
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

“Weddings are coming?” Jeez, that would be awful. The only reason the weddings are exciting is because of what happens at them, not the fact that they’re weddings. Which means the only people who’d get excited by that line – people who’ve read the books – have basically zero overlap with the target audience of these ads. Unless you really expect casual viewers to see that and go “wow, weddings, cool!!”.

Not to mention that the events at those weddings are so powerful because they’re so unexpected. Trumpeting their significance months before the season starts would do a lot to deaden that.

Fortunately there is zero chance HBO is going to do that :)

100. MyBFFTheHound
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Yep, “No shelter from the storm” is the one for me.

101. Maester Tcost
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

For Season 4, they could have a clip of Joffrey saying “After me, the Deluge,” but that’s a bit too much of misdirection. :)

102. Dan M
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I like “Death and Life. Ice and Fire,” though I doubt it will actually be what they use. Neither the season 1 nor the season 2 teaser lines ended up being the official tagline of the season.

“Now the Rains Weep” is good, as is “A Lion Still Has Claws.”

My own idea would be “You Know Nothing of Fear,” over a close up of a White Walker.

103. Aryannets
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Death is coming!

I hope that they dont change the Red Wedding. That Robb and Catelyn dies and all the others that were there.

104. Zack
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

MyBFFTheHound:
    Yep, “No shelter from the storm” is the one for me.

Think that’s one of my favorites as well actually.

105. Monica
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

My favorites:
    A Storm of Swords – GRRM wrote it!
    All Men Must Die
    Fire and Blood
    Night Gathers

106. Josh Parker
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

As for my wedding being full of Stark blood, my wife has auburn hair and we often joke about her being Lady Catelyn…bad omen?

Actually, when we use our Game of Thrones glasses at dinner, mine is always the Baratheon glass and hers is always the Stark one. I also look kinda like Robert (that’s us in the photo up there). So we joke that I’m Robert and she’s Lyanna, my one true love. My son is impish, so he gets the Lannister glass, while my daughter loves dragons and has a firey personality, so she gets the Targaryen glass.

Yes, my wife is a fellow GoT fan!

107. House Snow
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Maybe they should just go with a picture of GRRM’s face and go with the line from last season:

Why are all the Gods such cunts?

108. Mormegil
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Tagline : No Shelter from the Storm

Poster : Sword* stuck in the ground being hit with a bolt of lightning with it possibly being set on fire.

*Maybe use Ice (to give us the image of Ice on Fire) but probably just a simple sword, no ornate handle.

109. bon
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

My proposal is:

Taglines: “No shelter from storm” or “Night Gathers ”
    Poster: A sword and spear clash. A flaming sword and an icy spear, which the Other/White Walker had in the last episode of 2nd season.

110. Joaquin
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Hey did someone actually got it right for last seasons poster with the hand holding the crown? What where the main guesses?

111. Shane f
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Darkness is coming

112. SillyMammo
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

What about a tagline from the meme…

“George R.R. Martin will kill everyone you love!”

113. Ben Watson
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Permalink
  114. Isabelle
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

A couple that shares a mutual love of Thrones is bound for marital bliss. It is known. I think your wife will be all right provided she steers clear of particularly murderous people with an excess of twenty siblings.

Dinner at your house sounds positively delightful. My best friend has the GoT coasters, and if we’re dining together, we alternate between Stark and Targaryen. Baratheon and Lannister are left for any SOs and/or other dining companions.

115. Dennis Plane
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

“No one is safe, not even the children”

“Move over Bilbo, The One Show is coming”

“Unlike Twilight, in our battles people you like actually DO die”

“If Bobby Flay would be on our show, he’d have his kitchen at the Dreadfort”

“John Snow knows nothing.. Ygritte will show him”

“Ross is coming back…whether you like it or not”

116. brightroar
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:20 am | Permalink

i like a lot of these one i thought would be cool is “some wars are won with swords others with quills and ravens” its long but definitely is a good example of whats to come this season. also that quotes from Twin lannister of course.

117. SoupOrMan
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:31 am | Permalink

“The weddings are coming” does sound pretty terrible, lol. I like Jeremy’s, “Blood is thicker than Oaths.” Or maybe “The night is dark… and full of terrors.” I just finished watching the second season and there are really a million lines that would work beautifully. Since I didn’t have time to watch it at home I checked it out at DISH Online while riding the bus to work and I am all set for season three. I just wish they were, lol. Either way as soon as they decided what they poster will say I am buying it and throwing it up in my office at DISH. Cheers to the Storm of Swords!

118. Ella
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

“The Rains of Winter Fall”… or a variant thereof. It has the benefit of being a reference to the Rains of Castamere, as well as sounding like “Winterfell”, the Stark stronghold, without being too obvious in writing.

119. wargsareawesome
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 1:46 am | Permalink

probably too spoilery, but ‘Twin Killings’?
    non-readers will get all worried about Jaime & Cersei, while book readers will know it refers to the Freys, who have their seat at the Twins. It also ties in nicely with all the angst about Jaime and Cersei…

120. loco73
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 3:07 am | Permalink

“A Time Of Slayers and Cravens”…hmmm I wonder if Sam would aprove of that one? Anyways I really can’t wait for a more substantial trailer to premiere soon! Until then I’ll fight my “Game Of Thrones” blues with repeated helpings of “The Hobbit” and more specifically Thorin Oakenshield! Ah, just imagine Tyrion having a gang of dwarves with him…especially an ally like Oakenshiel, poor Cersei would consume some Tears of Lys voluntarily!

121. AdrianAegon
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Dennis Plane: “No one is safe, not even the children” “Move over Bilbo, The One Show is coming”“Unlike Twilight, in our battles people you like actually DO die”“If Bobby Flay would be on our show, he’d have his kitchen at the Dreadfort”“John Snow knows nothing.. Ygritte will show him”“Ross is coming back…whether you like it or not”

=))))) the last 2 are killing me :)))))) I vote for them!

122. Greg
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 5:02 am | Permalink

TAGLINE: “Swords cut deep…especially from behind”

123. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 5:16 am | Permalink

I can’t imagine they would use a tagline that refers to one family (e.g. Fire and Blood), one area (e.g. The North Remembers), or one event (e.g. the wedding that everybody should stop spoil!). Along the same lines, I don’t think they will repeat a poster with one character as the main advertisement. They did with Ned for the first season to draw attention to the show via Sean Bean, but that need is far gone by now.

Looking at the image they used as a first teaser, I’d say they are gonna go along the lines of “Swords are coming” (actually “A Storm of Swords” is much better but they won’t want to mix the books and the show like that) with swords featuring as the main part of the poster. Maybe one sword that is alight with fire, one normal one, and one encrusted with frost?

edit: they changed “A Game of Thrones” from the books to “Game of Thrones” for the show, so here’s hoping that they might take “Storms of Swords” as the tag-line for season 3…

124. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 5:20 am | Permalink

By the way: anything longer than 6-ish words or comes in more than one part is NOT a tag-line!

125. Orlando
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Maybe “Swords cut deep, especially from behind” could replace a phrase like “the night is dark and full of terrors” which was used last season.

I don’t think “Storms of swords” sends a message but instead a random statement.

maybe “Fear the Storm of Swords”

126. Valyrian
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 7:22 am | Permalink

“Shit just got real.” No seriously, I vote for “All Men Must Die.”

127. Duff Man
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

“Ice and Fire”

“You think you know, but you have no idea”

128. AdrianAegon
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 8:12 am | Permalink

I still think that “Where is Betrayal, there is Revenge” is a very good tagline, it’s not to spoilerish, betrayal exists in every thread of the story, from KL to Essos, from Night’s Watch to the Twins; and also is very esthetic, not to short, not to long, and proportional, so sticks into the head!

129. Crozyr
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

I think if done right, a wolf headed man with a crown would be pretty good. Some viewers might think it is to foreshadow Robbs vicotry, while book readers understand the true, pretty literal meaning of that picture.

130. dizzy
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

“Even soft, fat boys, who’d make good soup start kicking ass.

131. Mike Chair
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Various characters speaking to an empty Iron Throne ala Clint Eastwood at the RNC. Just kidding. But only a little.

Seriously:

“Fear cuts deeper than swords”

132. Josh Parker
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Isabelle,

Lol, at first I thought you said “any SOB’s” and that sounded about right for Lannisters.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words about my family. I’m pretty well blessed. Now the wife and I are waiting on pins and needles for 03/31!

Oh, and I’m reading the books aloud to her.

133. Dolorous Ned
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

“It’s party time”

134. Josh Parker
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

To keep with the established meme, and considering what happens this season, why not “Jon is Coming”?

135. Josh Parker
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Or more ambiguous; Snow is Coming

136. Josh Parker
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

You know, it just hit me; the first season may have used “Winter is Coming” as A tag line, but not the ONLY tag line. On the poster they used “You Win or You Die”.

So maybe the third season will use something different.

137. Deme
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I think a tagline along the lines of “Where power lies” would work nicely. The season is all about people asserting their power (Dany, Lannisters, the Night’s Watch…sorta). This also *sort* of reflects the past two seasons. War is coming plays off the oft used ‘winter is coming’ from season 1…a tagline talking about power would reflect nicely all the Varys/Littlefinger etc talk about power.

For the poster…it might be too spoilerish, but I’d just love to see Drogon breathing fire.

138. Al Swearengen
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Just put the name on the poster with the date.

139. feyrband
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

while i agree that Dracarys will offer more hype for people already familiar with the series, i feel like it would prompt more questions and curiosity from those who aren’t. something which could also lead to bringing more people into the show.

140. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Crozyr,

That’s what I suggested on other posts many times. Just throw in some shadows to conceal the “reality” of the situation. Voila deliberately misleading yet awesome poster.

But no one seems to agree :-(

141. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

How about a poster split down the middle with representations of ice on one side and representations of fire on the other. I do like using the teaser’s death and life, ice and fire imagery. It also could be that HBO is finally giving D and D the go ahead to push the more fantastical elements of the series now that its found its audience.

142. Abendstern
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Here a few from me:
    -Blood will flow
    -The snow is red
    -All hope shattered
    -Time of lions
    -Rain is coming (I like the rain picture)
    -and then silence
    -time for graves
    -Tears will flow (Of the viewers of course ; ) )
    -the undead rise (Maybe better for next season)

From the above mentioned I like Valar Morgulis / All men must die. But I guess it will have something to do with swords like the teasers.

143. sunspear
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Ok, how about this:

Tagline: Ygritte’s famous “All men must die, but first we live”

Picture: A burning sword on snowstorm background.

144. sunspear
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Crozyr,

No they won’t. Viewers are not going to understand symbolism that deep. If anything, they’ll think some magic made Robb’s head turn into a wolf.

Images need to be kept simple.

145. Arkash
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

sunspear:
    Ok, how about this:

Tagline: Ygritte’s famous “All men must die, but first we live”

Picture: A burning sword on snowstorm background.

That would rock !

146. Sinslash
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I agree that “A Storm of Swords” would make a good tagline. I would also like to hear these words uttered in some trailer, maybe, somewhere in the background? “Fool’s blood, king’s blood, blood on the maiden’s thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.” And in Bolton’s low whispery voice at the end, as everything starts to fade to black… “Jaime Lannister sends his regards.”

147. Sinslash
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Hmm, this would make a good tagline, too, but doesn’t seem fit for the coming season.

148. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

sunspear,

Perfect!

149. Mark Wilson
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Monica:
    My favorites:
    AStorm of Swords –GRRM wrote it!
    All Men Must Die
    Fire and Blood
    Night Gathers

I’d been writing down my favourite taglines as I went through the post, and ended up with almost exactly the same list. I had the last three, and instead of “A storm of swords” (which I don’t think has quite enough direction), was toying with something like “There are swords in the dark”. But I think my favourite is “All men must die”.

150. Mark Wilson
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

As for an image, something that would fit with the season (and also with a tagline like “There are swords in the dark”, would be a screenshot of blackness (or blackness with rain, or with snow) from which a sword gradually emerges and then bursts into flames.

151. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Sinslash,

TV Roose does not have a whispery voice. At all. Most likely because to do so would make him further creepy. Interesting to note how Martin wrote Bolton as a not very subtle character at all (in terms of his nature not his machination) and he wrote Littlefinger as the exact opposite: quiet and in the background. The series seems to flip this. Is TV Littlefinger’s lack of subtlety indicative of keeping Gillen on as regular since the more the character is featured one has to wonder if they had to create scenes in season 2 for this purpose.
    Personally the excess of LF that we see in the show is indicative that D an D fanboy the character hard. We see the character relish in his malevolent subterfuge and it makes his schemes painfully obvious.
    I would like to hear more from the writers in terms of adapting Lord Baelish.

152. Quowala
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

…. “In Ygritte’s face…”

153. Lin Beifunk
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Sort-of unrelated, but I find it a little funny HBO is really pumping up Dany’s acquisition of the Unsullied this season. Yes, that’s her most recent ‘defining’ moment — but it may also suggest to a non-reader that she’s actually going to get the hell to Westeros, or at least get on a boat heading for the Seven Kingdoms, before the end of 3×10.

Then she doesn’t. Hilarity ensues. I’ve often thought that Dany’s plot is the one major tipping point that might eventually turn off viewers — if D&D don’t make a major edit and have her head over early, skipping all this Meereen junk. But that’s so storyline-shattering that, unless she landed on the beach completely broken, unknown, and stripped of her khalasar and dragons, the show would become, mostly, its own entity.

154. shaggydog
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

“all men must die” is perfect imo. if not now, then eventually.

i also like the idea of “three heads has the dragon” because it optimizes the use of three and reinforces the prophecy angle (that the house of the undying skipped over much of)

155. Mike Chair
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Sinslash,

Arya repeatedly whispers this (or thinks this) to herself throughout A Storm of Swords. See ASOS Arya I, VIII, X, XI, and XIII. “Fear cuts deeper than swords” at least should be the title of an episode.

156. Isabelle
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

You make a frighteningly valid point–if our beaus do indeed emulate the Baratheons and Lannisters, we may have a problem! Men from those Houses make good reading material, not good dating material. :-)

That you read Thrones to your lady is absolutely adorable. (Gentlemen reading these posts, do take note!)

And you may have already done this, but if your family is a fan of Thrones, you must do a GoT-themed meal, perhaps with one of the recipes from the A Feast of Ice and Fire cookbook. That plus the glasses will make the evening really festive–the children should especially love it.

157. Josh Parker
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

Yeah, I’m gonna call that one the winner.

Quowala,

Subtlety, my friend. Subtlety.

Isabelle,

That sounds like a fun evening we’d all enjoy. Of course my son is young enough that he only knows certain scenes/stills from the show and hears me talk about it. He knows who Ghost is upon seeing him (his favorite “character”) and who Tyrion Lannister is, but not much else. He’s 11.

158. TheWoodOfTheMorning
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Anything with “is coming” would be just awful & unimaginative.

What about: BOOM DOOM BOOM DOOM

159. Isabelle
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Yeah, that’s a little young for the murkier stuff, but perhaps not too young to enjoy a themed dinner? From my experience with young relatives (they were six, eight and nine years old at the time), little ones will pick up on the excitement of the event itself, not the darker undertones of the inspiration if the references remain PG. So perhaps make lots of lemon cakes, but no Ned Stark head cake pops. http://notyourmommascookie.com/2012/04/game-of-thrones-cake-pops/

And get him a giant albino puppy for the holidays!

160. Jentario
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

A man with a wolf’s head sitting on the Iron throne looking depressed with the tag line “All men must die.” or “You win or you die.” or whatever.

161. Arthur
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I think every major POV character should have their own marketing campaign, tag line and poster. GoT is many small stories that all tie together, so many marketing strategies can and should be used. A Buckshot of commercials, posters and quotes that will scatter and hit many different targeted markets.

They already got the perfect photo of Dany, its so beautiful.

Throw in some kind of Targaryen tagline, or Dany quote and its all set…

Something like, “I will take what is mine”, or “I am not a normal woman, my dreams come true”, you know, some bratty Dany quote.

162. MyBFFTheHound
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Okay, “Fear cuts deeper than swords” is good too, not sure if I prefer it to “No shelter from the storm”. I think I do actually.

163. Ser Tahu
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I still wish that they went with ‘Stannis is Coming’ for season 2, but oh well…

anyway, my favourites so far:
    ‘The Rains are Falling’
    ‘Night Gathers’ or any variant on the Night’s Watch pledge
    and ‘Anyone can be Killed’

how about this tagline; ‘The Walking Dead’, oh, wait… :P

164. Tereeza777
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

“The Beauties, The Beasts, The Betrayals, The Gore …………
    Season Three – Game of Thrones – There Will Soon Be Much More !
    March 31, 2013″
    Or –
    “HBO Requests the Pleasure of Your Company
    At the Season III Premiere of Game of Thrones
    On Saturday, the Thirty-First of March, Two Thousand and Thirteen
    At Nine O’Clock in the Evening”

(they could used Edwardian Script font – then show two hands crossed with gold wedding bands)

165. Tereeza777
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Tereeza777:
    “The Beauties, The Beasts, The Betrayals, The Gore …………
    Season Three–Game of Thrones–There Will Soon Be Much More !March 31, 2013″
    Or –
    “HBO Requests the Pleasure of Your Company
    At the Season III Premiere of Game of Thrones
    On Saturday, the Thirty-First of March, Two Thousand and Thirteen
    At Nine O’Clock in the Evening”

(they could used Edwardian Script font – then showtwo hands crossed with gold wedding bands)

And have Ramin Djawadi’s song “I Am Hers – She Is Mine” playing in the background.

166. Flyers
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

‘Weddings Are Coming’? Really people?! ASOIF fans can really be borderline retarded when it comes to marketing, book theories, and ruining the show for people by constantly feeling the need to allude to events.

If you though ‘Wedding Are Coming’ (or a tag line involving weddings period) was clever or even good, then you should seriously reevaluate sharing your opinion ever again.

(sorry for the mean spirited nature but that line is really that bad. And I’m sick of people who’ve read the books constantly trying to drop hints, whether they’re subtle or not).

167. Nezzer
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Flyers:

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. I think they should drop this “X is coming” tagline. “No shelter from the storm” is by far the best one I’ve seen so far.

168. Tereeza777
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Flyers:

If you thought ‘Wedding Are Coming’ (or a tag line involving weddings period) was clever or even good, then you should seriously reevaluate sharing your opinion ever again.

I was thinking of something subtle having to do with weddings – mainly because weddings sell. Wedding movies, wedding episodes in TV series and sitcoms – even though a lot of them are kind of cheesy, they bring the viewers. There’s just something about weddings – at least for the girls, maybe not so much for the guys.

In the final episode of season 2, Joffrey proprosed to Margaery Tyrell – so, let’s say I’m a fan of the TV series, but have not read the books, I’m thinking a “Royal Wedding” is coming and I would definitely tune in for that. If it turns out to be something different, that’s ok – I would for sure keep watching just to see how things turned out

As for the rest of your comments – why don’t you suggest something, instead of just complaining about the suggestions of others? (Sorry for the mean-spirited nature of my question, but your post is really that bad ! ) And, BTW, there are some Weddings coming, and they are going to be spectacular!

169. Quowala
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Tereeza777,

We know weddings are coming. We know they’re going to be spectacular but mentioning that in a tagline or poster would be silly. Non book readers don’t need to know.

Just another idea to put out there – probably not as a tagline but maybe a line in a trailer

‘In the aftermath of War… True terrors will arise’

Que White Walkers.

170. jkb
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Flyers:

ahahah, no shit. ‘weddings are coming’? how can anyone actually think it would make a good tagline? anything ‘is coming’ is a bad idea as far as i’m concerned. formulaic = boring

171. Tereeza777
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Quowala:
    Tereeza777,

‘In the aftermath of War… True terrors will arise’
    Que White Walkers.

I can see that I’m not going to get my Wedding announcement! lol! I wasn’t thinking of a poster or a tagline either – that would be silly. I was thinking more like a promo for season 3 – but do it like a wedding invitation with that sad music in the background.

Anyway, I love your idea – and I do think it could be a tagline – maybe preceding TWOW. My b/f is a HUGE fan of The Walking Dead, so he loved your idea too! (He started yawning when I told him about my wedding invitation promo.)

172. Patchy Face
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Hey People of Fandom – Off subject but y’all really need to go over to tv.com and vote for best drama and best dramatic actor (GOT and PD of course)… Very close race and your vote(s) can make the difference! GO

173. Eos
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Beyond the Wall: Fifty Shades of Frey

You bleeping killed me xD Haven’t heard that one before.

174. Saark
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Hear me roar. That should be the tag line for the season

175. novichaso
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Anonymous Ed,

it would be the perfect cover! I hope its legit!!

176. Quowala
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Tereeza777,

Actually a wedding invitation-style promo could work if it was in reference to Joffrey’s wedding because everyone knows that is coming. However I don’t think anything like that should be said about the Red Wedding . I think the less said about that before people see it the better.

I also like the walking dead very much! Season 3 has been excellent! (But obviously not nearly as good as season 3 of Game of Thrones is going to be!)

177. Adrià Seguer Vicente
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

jeremy:
    “Blood Runs Thicker Than Oaths”

Amazingly amazing tag, i will pray for it.

178. Quowala
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Adrià Seguer Vicente,

“Blood runs truer than oaths” is the tagline from the blurb of ASOS…

179. PanchoFrancisco
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

I think they are going to really pump up the Starks some how with poster. The reason the, now iconic, photo of Ned was used was because…not only was it badazz looking, but to draw the audiences attention to Ned and set him up as THE main character, to help set up his ..uh…. final episode of season 1. Making it that more impact-full, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same with this season with the weddings looming….just an idea…

180. blood raven
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

As the official tagline of the first season wasn’t “Winter is Coming.”
    And safely assuming season 3 will not show the next Summer..
    I kinda like “Winter Begins” or “A Bitter Winter.”

181. Protector oftheRealm
    Posted December 25, 2012 at 8:04 am | Permalink

For the poster i would love to see the Iron Throne with the dragons perched on it

182. BloodRav3n
    Posted January 8, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Are there any guesses about the Title of the first episode of the Third Season??