2012: The year in Thrones news
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Casting, Filming, Marketing, News.

2012 was quite an eventful year for Game of Thrones and its fans. We’ve rounded up some of the highlights from this past year in Thrones news to celebrate the new year. I bet you forgot about at least a few of these stories.

January
This is no April Fools joke: Season two to debut on April 1 – Jan 13
Dinklage adds to his earlier Emmy win, wins a Golden Globe – Jan 15
Game of Thrones passes Boardwalk Empire to become 2nd-most watched show on HBO, 3rd-most watched in HBO history – Jan 30

February

HBO renews Thrones for a third season! – Apr 10

May
The casting search for season three begins – May 2
Bryan Cogman leaves Twitter – May 22
A partial list of the new characters appearing in S3 is revealed – May 29

June
Neil Marshall reveals nudity is encouraged by one of the exec. producers – Jun 1
Season two finale tops 4 million viewers, sets series high – Jun 4
HBO pulls S1 finale from On Demand and HBO Go after media goes bonkers over prop Bush head – Jun 15

July

November
Coldplay drummer to cameo in season three – Nov 5
Season three teaser poster revealed – Nov 14
First season three promo airs on HBO – Nov 18
Filming wraps on season three – Nov 24

December
First look at characters like Mance and the Reeds in S3: In Production video – Dec 2
Game of Thrones gets a beer – Dec 17
Thrones most pirated TV show of 2012 – Dec 26

Winter Is Coming: What was your favorite Thrones-related moment this year? What are you hoping for or looking forward to in 2013?

1. anicechianti
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I think the Iwan Rheon news was the one that I probably got the most excited over. Still so curious to see what they’ll do with that character this season.

Um… first?

2. Iron Born
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Blackwater ….2nd

Posted December 31, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

2012 was a great year for GOT! Blackwater and Valar Morghulis were my two favourite episodes, but the whole season was fantastic. In many ways, I still think it’s better than Season 1.

My other favourite ‘moment’ was when Ciaran Hinds was cast as Mance Rayder.

Happy New Year everyone!

4. Iron Born
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

True blood?????? I must be the only person to think that show is unwatchable..now boardwalk empire makes sense but true blood?? I am baffled

5. dizzy
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Without a doubt … B. Cog leaves twitter.

6. Nerd
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

90 days. 3 months. The countdown is finally seeming more bearable. I can handle 3 months.

7. T-Good
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

When do we get our next sneak peak into season 3? It would be a good New Years present from HBo

8. Mike Chair
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Happy New Year! **Waiting for my guests to arrive** So sorry about GRRM’s American Football teams — Jets and Giants both gone the way of Ned — heads, spikes etc. I hope he doesn’t take it out on Arya or Daenerys. Hey Mr. Martin, take it out on Cersei. If Cersei Lannister was an American Football fan, she’d be a Pat’s fan. Why? Where would you place Cersei anywhere in the United States (if not the world)? There is little question that her temperament bears the closest resemblance to us here in New England. We’ve had three consecutive Speakers of the House convicted (present Speaker excluded). Anyway, my New Year’s resolution is to read as much non-GRRM (albiet inferior) fantasy as possible until my Kindle possesses The Winds of Winter, all the while praying for its release.

9. Super Danny
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Happy new year all! Just think, three more months til we’re back on air! Wedding time :D

10. WildSeed
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair:
    Happy New Year!**Waiting for my guests to arrive** So sorry about GRRM’s American Football teams — Jets and Giants both gone the way of Ned — heads, spikes etc.I hope he doesn’t take it out on Arya or Daenerys.Hey Mr. Martin, take it out on Cersei.If Cersei Lannister was an American Football fan, she’d be a Pat’s fan.Why? Where would you place Cersei anywhere in the United States (if not the world)?There is little question that her temperament bears the closest resemblance to us here in New England.We’ve had three consecutive Speakers of the House convicted (present Speaker excluded).Anyway, my New Year’s resolution is to read as much non-GRRM (albiet inferior) fantasy as possible until my Kindle possesses The Winds of Winter, all the while praying for its release.

Ha…I was just reading GRRM’s live journal about his disappointments ( football).
    I hope he gets in a few moments of clarity with the TWOW writing project,
    especially in the coming year. Who knows, the Bantam Spectra publishers
    may have a manuscript before the 2015 estimated date :D

In the meantime, I’ve just ordered Terry Goodkind’s Wizard series.

A great new year for all ASOIAF/GoT fans, to each and all, a fantastic beginning !

11. sunspear
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Iron Born,

Boardwalk Empire will never get high ratings as long as it airs in the same time slot as The Walking Dead and Homeland.

12. Adam Whitehead
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

You’re planning to read Terry Goodkind?

Only possible reaction under these circumstances.

13. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Ah memorieeeeeeees…lovely evening to reminisce! Happy New Year fellow Thronies, we shall be viewing Season 3 in no time at all now. Party on!

14. Old_Gran
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Funny reaction to Terry Goodkind, but the books are not as awful as the TV show was. But Goodkind is no GRRM. Just saying. Almost anything by Neal Stephenson would be a better choice IMHO. He has an online reading experience with Mongoliad. I think they may have had it printed out as an actual book by now.

15. WildSeed
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    WildSeed,

You’re planning to read Terry Goodkind?

Only possible reaction under these circumstances.

Love the YouTube response, that’s a win :D

Why the reaction to Terry Goodkind ? I finally resigned myself to reading
    the remaining novellas located within ” Legends “, and after reading
    earlier ” The Hedge Knight “. The short story was pretty good…….so
    I thought I’d invest in the remaining series. Wish me luck, I’m not
    familiar with Goodkind’s other works.

BTW, I was only responding to Mike Chair’s post about reading , whether
    inferior to GRRM or not……..just sayin :D

Posted December 31, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Terry Goodkind is infamous. I enjoyed his first couple books, like 15 years ago, but they go rapidly downhill. They’re also a total rip-off of other fantasy series (e.g. Robert Jordan). And finally, his arrogant and condescending attitude towards the fantasy genre in general haven’t done him any favours.

Also, that youtube link is priceless. One of my favourite moments from the Office. :)

17. Patchy Face
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

2012 favorite moments – watching episodes 1 thru 10 of GoT and rereading Feast for Crows/
    Dance with Dragons chronologically per boiled leather. Looking to 2013 to introduce more folks at work to S2 DVDs and major GoT addiction.

18. Arkash
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I’m drunk and just came back home but still wanted to say : been a hell of a year !
    Thank you everybody and 31th of March cant come soon enough !

19. WildSeed
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Lex,

LOL, thanks for the info. I felt similarly ripped off when invested in the Christopher
    Paolini books, which many say a rip off of other similar works . Will be time well
    spent though, just quick reads and purchased as a set for only $ 15 .

20. John
    Posted December 31, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Old_Gran:
    Funny reaction to Terry Goodkind, but the books are not as awful as the TV show was.But Goodkind is no GRRM. Just saying. Almost anything by Neal Stephenson would be a better choice IMHO. He has an online reading experience with Mongoliad. I think they may have had it printed out as an actual book by now.

Yes,they are awful,in every possible way,i wanted to bleach my brain after reading the 1st book which i managed to complete,this was years ago.

Why anyone would want to waste time reading these when there are a bunch of much better written SFF series/books out there is beyond me.

21. Lord Penrose
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Ah dang, Dominic West involved in thrones.. Definite loss there..

22. Watson
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Well I guess the Neil Marshall interview was the sauciest, but the most exciting really just has to be that season 3 will exist and will contain the things we’ve heard it will contain.

23. Adam Whitehead
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 7:36 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

The books are infamously awful, but on the plus side they do often fall into the ‘so bad they are hilarious’ category. The scenes where the heroine is attacked by an ‘evil chicken’ and the hero is saved by a ‘noble goat’ are particularly impressive.

Their biggest problem is that Goodkind is an Objectivist, and rather than make his arguments through the texts he will instead (frequently) bring the narrative to a screeching halt whilst his main character makes a speech about the evils of socialism, usually lasting for several dozen pages (I believe the record was 70 pages in hardcover), followed by an insane outbreak of ultraviolence. At one point the hero rips out someone’s spine and they are still capable of combat for several seconds afterwards.

In short, they are very bad, but not without entertainment value. There are literally hundreds of fantasy and SF authors whom I’d recommend over Goodkind, though.

24. The Greatjon
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Sorry if this is off topic, but I remember reading somewhere on this site that we should be expecting a season 3 trailer around new years. Has anyone else heard anything about that? kind of expected to see it today.

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 10:34 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

Dude seriously cancel your Order. get Malazan instead.

Seriously do what thou willst but know that you have been warned.

26. The_Rabbit
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Happy New Year everyone!

Favorite moment of GOT 2012: Due to the controversy of canon vs. non-canon debate on s2 all over the internet (yes, I admit I was reading it – my fault to the bone) – my favorite moment was the announcement of the Tullys and Reeds being introduced in S3 in the aftermath of the Blackwater episode (A great episode I should say).

My N-Y resolution to myself : RABBIT: DO NOT REED THE BITCHING, INTERNET FANDOM DRAMA (AND TRAGEDY)- YOU DO NOT NEED IT!!!!!!

27. Iron Born
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

Definitely …my kids watch walking dead we watch homeland but we DVR it to watch boardwalk …. Just tons of dribble between GOT seasons I finished the books so I gotta watch something ….

28. the goat
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

New Years Resolutions:

- To not sow.

- Don’t insult people that are bigger than me.
    (tho I wouldn’t get to insult anyone.)

- Pay the Iron Price.
    (tired of getting slapped by Balon.)

- Figure out how to rule over millions when I’ m dead.

- Hire a new cupbearer.

- Look to my sins.

- Keep a closer eye on my dragons.

- Be the tenth.
    (winning at battle with fewer than my enemy.)

- Avoid battlefield surgeons.
    (even if they are gorgeous Volantene ex-noblewomen.)

- No more smoking.
    - No more babies.
    - And absolutely no more smoke-babies.

- Bet on the Beauty next melee.

- Ser Gregor, Dunsen, Polliver, Chiswyck, Raff the Sweetling. The Tickler & the Hound. Ser Amory, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei.
    (Oh, wait…guess we can cut a couple off that list already. Keep charging, Horseface.)

- Learn the difference between “less” and “fewer.”

- Seduce Dornish support.

- See some pretty things, too.

More after the Cowboys annihilate the (& I drink some) Boilermakers

29. Zack
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    WildSeed,

Dude seriously cancel your Order. get Malazan instead.

Seriously do what thou willst but know that you have been warned.

30. Ser Pounce
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I think the Television Critics Association awarding Game of Thrones ‘Program of the Year’ was a much bigger deal than any of the emmy nominations or wins

31. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Zack,

Rothfuss is next on my list. So your good either way I think.

32. the goat
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce:

and about a billion times more significant than the GG.

Not that any of them really matter, the tap is flowing.

As the dearly departed Phil Hartman, as Troy McClure, once said, “Who knows what adventures they’ll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable.” I think that was around ’96 or so.

33. After The Feast
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

The Greatjon,

I think we can expect a trailer similar to “The Cold Winds are Rising” one on January thirteenth. It’s the premiere of Girls and premieres are also prime for new trailers. This is just a guess because nothing has been confirmed. But we should definitely see one by the end of the month.

34. the goat
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

After The Feast: This is just a guess because nothing has been confirmed. But we should definitely see one by the end of the month.

Just so I get this, you know nothing?

I keed, I keed, this rings true. 13th at the latest, but I wouldn’t put it past HBO to do a “trailer for the trailer” on ET or Youtube, as has occurred lately.

Days from footage.
    “No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.”

35. Bro without Banner
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

What a great year its been, thank you to everyone at WIC for all the work you’ve done this year to keep us ahead of the curve & happy new year to all the readers of the site

36. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Look to ur sins Kord Renly! My favourite line of season 2

37. WildSeed
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    WildSeed,

Thank you for the link, I read it in earnest :D
    I’m enlightened about the author now, and wish I had these insights earlier.
    The bookset should arrive tomorrow ( it’s the Wizard series, so no talk of
    Socialism, I guess……although I find political philosophies quite interesting
    from credible resources ). I’ll give these a perusal, and decide from there.
    Wish me luck, I’d sure hope to avoid ” bleaching my brain ” . I’m just looking
    for something lightweight to read. I’m a Nerdist, with a penchant towards
    Science Fiction, but I spend more time reading Med Journals. Still, I’m a bit
    nascent in the fiction arena, so any insights mentioned are appreciated.
    Before now, and includes Tolkien and GRRM, I’ve enjoyed mostly Octavia Butler
    and Star Trek.

I’ve also ordered a Fae series set, which includes ” Darkfever “. I’ve just
    concluded reading Hermann Hesse’s ” Glass Bead Game “, and a bit drained from
    watching both a GoT AND Doctor Who marathon(s).

Joshua Taylor , who or what is ” Malazan ” ?

38. WildSeed
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

the goat,

All the best, mate :D.

39. WildSeed
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Bro without Banner:

And to you and yours, kind ser :D

40. After The Feast
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

the goat,

I never claimed that I “knew” when it was going to be. I merely stated my opinion and I believe that the only people that do know are those who either work for HBO or have direct relations with HBO. And the reason I think it will be by the end of the month is because why would they wait until February to air an official trailer for a show that airs on March 31st? And especially a show as successful as GoT.

41. Abyss
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

This is totally off-topic, but I just have to share this link.
    If you are a fan of the classic God games Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 you will be happy to hear that there will be an re-make called war for the overworld which aims to capture the essence of those two classics.
    The project is already founded on kickstarter (PayPal is available as well), but there are very interesting stretch goals including hiring the original voice actor of Dungeon Keeper 2.
    Only 43 hours left on Kickstarter!

42. WildSeed
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    WildSeed,

Dude seriously cancel your Order. get Malazan instead.

Seriously do what thou willst but know that you have been warned.

Okay, researched the title and series containing ” Malazan ” . Sounds interesting.
    Are these in succession ? Any Timeline issues ? Links of interest ?

43. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Timeline stays same but it focuses on multiple continents sometimes a whole book devoted to one locus. I would describe it as Band of Brothers meets fantasy with a touch of Homer’s Iliad with influences from Tolkien, Jordan, Brooks and Herbert.

44. Rygar
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

You just need to be fair, since those of you bashing his writing are the same people that tend to get on the case of the fans who say negative things about GoT.

I am just making an observation and I too dislike Goodkind.

45. Zack
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Rygar: I think that there are many people that enjoy Terry Goodkind. It would be nice to keep the negativity to a minimum or keep your opinions about his style to yourself if you have nothing nice to say.

Eh, I don’t really agree. There are many people who enjoy the Twilight books and the Da Vinci Code too. I, for one, appreciate being warned away from bad writers :) and from the info provided I know Goodkind is not for me where before I had been considering his work.

46. Rygar
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Zack,
    That really wasn’t the point of my post but I appreciate your polite response. :)

47. Marty Spinner
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Checkout Adam Whitehead’s blog http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/ he has a very good post on the Malazan reading order.

48. the goat
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:40 am | Permalink

After The Feast,

I was agreeing with you.

Figured using both “Just so” & “you know nothing,” would convey the sentiment.

Well, that, and all those other words after that, which. were. agreeing. with. you.
    Eh, could be worse, you could truly believe we live in the eye of a blue giant named Macumba.

“Maybe we do.”

49. mags giantsbabe
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:42 am | Permalink

So I’m probably just before halfway mark of the first volume of aDwD. My question is, what good / bearable fantasy can I read when I’m done with George Martin? How is Robert Jordan’s “The Wheel of Time”?

50. hinka
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Zack,

I read both in english… even if my skills are limited as a non-nativ speaker. I loved both… but you can’t compare them. Erikson is difficult to read – because he has too many races, people and locations… and with his new karakas-trilogy it’s even getting more confusion.
    I would say: start with rothfuss (even if it isn’t finished yet)… it’s only 2 books. And then go to Eriskon – but don’t put the books to fast away… it can be that you need 2-3 books to love everything.

@ mags giantsbabe
    Loved Wheel of Time… but it’s alot to read… and I need to say: Because of the lenght it can get boring in the middle… but the end is excellent – can’t wait for a memory of light. Besides that I can only say: Read Sanderson – great author.

hinka

51. tweedie
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 5:26 am | Permalink

For anyone who likes space opera I recommend Peter Hamilton. Pandora’s Star is as good as science fiction gets

52. NewJeffCT
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

In also looking for recommendations – I have a pretty long drive to work each day and have been listening to audiobooks on my drive. I’ve listened to A Song of Ice & Fire twice, as well as the Harry Potter books, and just am finishing up Stieg Larson’s trilogy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and its sequels. (All the narrators are British, and all excellent.) I’ve also listened to World War Z, A Farewell to Arms and Brave New World in recent months.

Any other suggestions for audiobooks? Preferably fantasy, sci-fi, or mystery/thriller. I’ll probably save my Song of Ice & Fire series until closer to when we get a firm release date for Book 6.

53. Zack
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

hinka,

I will read them in this manner then, and thank you for the advice :)

54. Zack
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I’ve also heard a lot of good things about Jim Butcher and I received some of his novels from The Dresden Files as a gift. So I’ll be reading those at the same time and if there is a place for it I’ll post thoughts when appropriate.

55. WildSeed
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Marty Spinner:

thanks :D

56. WildSeed
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    WildSeed,

Timeline stays same but it focuses on multiple continents sometimes a whole book devoted to one locus. I would describe it as Bandof Brothers meets fantasy with a touch of Homer’s Iliad with influences from Tolkien, Jordan, Brooks and Herbert.

Thanks Joshua, I like what I’m reading in a synopsis so far, Mazalan series is now
    on my list.

57. WildSeed
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Lex:

My other favourite ‘moment’ was when Ciaran Hinds was cast as Mance Rayder.

Happy New Year everyone!

Indeed ! Game of Thrones has had a great year , the subject post really outlined
    it well and put this in perspective. While the per episode ratings may have varied
    for S2, the hard work and production values have been acknowledged by peers
    and accolades continue to come from those in primary positions. GoT has
    excellent potential to grow and evolve. It was great to have WiC and others, to
    record the news and production.

While some may only narrowly focus on the slip ups and flaws, the balance of
    respect for the project has succeeded in reaching global popularity. Although
    satisfying critics may prove to be an uphill battle, complaints could still come
    from unlikely sources even if fans are completely satisfied ( i.e. the San Francisco
    Chronicle rated ” the Hobbit ” as questionably bad in a list of worst films made
    in 2012, even though readers and attendees gave the film a big thumbs up ).
    There will always be measured success when so many factors, including cost,
    and adaptations to screen is concerned. GoT continues to move forward, and
    maintains to potential to be great with pushing the quality of production bar , a
    little higher. Onward to 2013 and Season three !

58. Manny
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

So a teaser trailer by Jan 13th?
    A proper trailer in early Feb?
    Episode names revealed through out Feb?
    Hype and more trailers and behind the scenes clips through out March.
    Then BAM! March 31st and we get our debut.

59. After The Feast
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Sorry about that, maybe I misinterpreted. Let’s just hope a trailer comes out sooner than later.

60. Lin Beifunk
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Zack: I”m gonna steer clear of Goodkind, but I’ve been undecided as to whether I should read Erikson or Rothfuss next. The reviews for In the Name of the Wind on Amazon are pretty damn enthusiastic, for Malazan a bit less so, but I trust this community more I think. Tips?

Erikson. Malazan, despite its complexity, is, IMO, fun. As the fandom says: start with book 2 and then go back to 1. It’s the kind of series that allows for that. It’s pretty insane.

I personally don’t like Rothfuss, but because I’m one of six people in the world for whom the Kingskiller Chronicles did not change my entire life, you might want to take my words with a pinch of salt. To me, it was standard by-the-numbers fantasy — barring the magic system — with a somewhat irritating protagonist and a lack of memorable secondary characters. Also, the demons are called ‘skraelings.’ Erp!

But, again, I’m probably wrong, since it’s one of the highest-rated fantasy books of all time across the board — Goodreads, Amazon, etc. Dude’s been called better than Tolkien, even. And I’ve yet to find an actually ‘bad’ review of the books.

61. Lin Beifunk
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Lin Beifunk:

Apologies — this sounded kinda douchey. I just mean that as someone who straight-up didn’t like the books, the gushy reviews on my favorite site, Goodreads — some of which do indeed mention ‘this book changed my life’ — weird me out a little. But to each his own, I always say. There is no arguing a matter of taste etc.

62. Sky Aero
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 6:56 am | Permalink

In production video did it for me! And off course the show itself!

And I am really really really looking forward to a new trailer! Secretly hoping to see some RW hints!

63. Zack
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Lin Beifunk,

Interesting counter-point, I’ll keep it in mind. I don’t think you sounded douchey. Just a strong reaction to a book that didn’t work for you.

You said it felt like ‘by-the-numbers fantasy.’ I’m someone who, to this point, has only read Tolkien and GRRM from the genre. So what stands out to a more well-read fantasy fan as generic might not to many others, like me. Before ASoIaF I didn’t consider myself a ‘fantasy person.’ I like knowing people who feel strongly against popular opinion (for valid reasons) just because I know going in that I don’t have to be crazy if I don’t respond well to it. For the longest time I didn’t see what was so great about Tolkien, you see. :)

64. gisizzlah
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Happy new year to all the realm!!! I don’t comment much but i read all your comments every time and im very entertained and informed in some cases…. My fav moment in 2012 was casting news for S3 which is my favorite book from the series so far… im sooo excited for the new season… can we get a ‘bleeping’ trailer now?!?!?

65. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

Call me Josh, only my mother calls me Joshua. :-)

66. John
    Posted January 6, 2013 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Zack:
    Lin Beifunk,

I wish i was in your position with regard to being a newcomer to fantasy fiction,i would have so many great books to read LOL…

Alas,i have been reading SFF fiction for nearly 20 years now and have read plenty in the genre,both the good & and the bad ,since you are new to the genre,i would recommend the following –

GRRM specifically named Tolkien and Tad Williams as very influential for the writing of the ASoIaF series.

Jack Vance – The Lyonesse Trilogy/ (GRRM’s favorite contemporary author )

The Warlord Chronicles (a mixture of historical fiction + Arthurian mythology,GRRM is a big fan of his & highly recommends him)

Tad Williams – Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series (another author/series who inspired GRRM)

Daniel Abraham – The Long Price Quartet (he wrote Hunter’s Run in collaboration with GRRM,also writes in GRRM’s Wild Cards series)

China Mieville – New Crobuzon/Bas Lag series-

1.City of Saints and Madmen: The Book of Ambergris
    2.Shriek
    3.Finch
    Anthony Ryan – Raven’s Shadow series
    Miles Cameron – The Red Knight
    R. Scott Bakker – The Prince of Nothing trilogy & The Aspect-Emperor trilogy
    Robin Hobb – Assassin’s Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy #1)
    Robin Hobb – Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
    Robin Hobb – Assassin’s Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
    J. V. Jones – Sword of Shadows series
    K.J. Bishop – The Etched City

I won’t promise that you will like every book in this list,but this is a good start for people new to fantasy fiction. Enjoy!

67. Patchy Face
    Posted January 6, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Lin Beifunk,

Agree with you on the whole. I really enjoyed the Rothfuss first book but couldn’t finish the second – just went on much too long. Like Rowling, think these writers need a better editor. Only Martin’s plot lines and writing style manage to hold my attention for over 1000 pages.

68. Zack
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

John,

Wow, thanks! I’d already added Tad Williams to my list, now I’ll be sure to bump them up a bit. Most of your list is new to me, and much appreciated

69. John
    Posted January 8, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Zack:
    John,

You are welcome. In future if you want to look for any specific book recommendations,check out the ssfworld forums.