More Iron Throne Blonde Ale details
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

OmmegangFor all you beer snobs out there (and I consider myself one), Fast Co. Create has a short article with some details on Brewery Ommegang’s process in creating Iron Throne Blonde Ale, the official Game of Thrones beer.

For its inaugural beer, Ommegang decided to go with a beer that was flavorful but not too complex. “We wanted to make something that was fairly easy to drink while you watch the show,” explains Ommegang brewer and Innovation Manager Mike McManus. So in lieu of a dark, heavy beer, they chose a blond ale and zeroed in on the evil Lannister family for inspiration. “We wanted something fair-colored that related to the fair-haired Lannister household. There’s also a certain amount of conniving and back-door dealing that they do. To relate to that, we used a traditional spice in Belgian beer called grains of paradise. We also used lemon peel to make the beer a bit tart.”

Also revealed in the article is that the beer will be available in draft form.

UPDATE: Thanks to Mosh for pointing out this interview with Ommegang’s head of PR, where he gives some history on how the partnership with HBO came about and offers some hints as to what other GoT tie-in drinks they may have coming in the future.

Winter Is Coming: I will drive many miles to patronize an establishment that has this stuff on tap.

1. iRaven
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I imagine an iron throne tap handle looking pretty badass.

Sent from my iRaven.

2. Draig
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

FIRST!

LOOKS EPIC

Damn…

3. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Draig,

Better luck next time Draig me ol’ China!

4. Inn atthe Crossroads
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I know that I’m more demanding than most, but I’m disappointed that they don’t seem to be taking into account climate, regional ingredients, etc. when planning these brews. To me, it looks like they just slapped an HBO label on a generic beer, and I was hoping for more from such a good brewery…

5. Amarylle
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I feel kinda proud to be Belgian ;)

6. Gary
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

…. Still no ABV? Looking forward to this still

Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Hope i can taste this one day. Maybe they can start exporting their beer thanks to the popularity of GoT :)

Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Gary,

ABV based on the label: 6.5%.

9. Quorin Halfhand
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Goddamn it!! i want some real news like when that first trailer is coming out or some goddamn new characters bios!!! ughhhhhh

10. KG
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I am reminded of the Lowenbrau logo …

Link

11. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Quorin Halfhand,

Patience is a virtue my friend, pour yourself a beer a watch Season 1 again. That’s what I’m doing!

12. danNYtrack
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I live two hours from the brewery. Looks like I may need to drive out there and pick up a keg! That’d make a hell of a screening party refreshment.

13. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

will it be available before the season 3 premiere?

14. WildSeed
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Grijnwaald:
    Quorin Halfhand,

Agreed AND I’ll raise my mug of hot Pear Cider to yours :D !

Those Lannisters ( venture capitalist ) always seem to find a way to market the
    family crest / seal . If Robert were alive, Baratheon Stout and other alcoholic spirits
    would be flooding the market………literary.

Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Quorin Halfhand:

MetalgoddessAMB:
    will it be available before the season 3 premiere?

It is releasing the day of the season 3 premiere, Mar 31. Hopefully they send out a large enough supply for that release, as I suspect many people will want to have it for their premiere party.

16. Kevin
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

WIC, it might be hard to find on tap. I very rarely see any Ommegang beers on tap anywhere. But just a few days ago, I saw a good selection of Ommegang bottles for sale in a store near me (I live in Brooklyn).

17. Hoff Wholehands
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Ommegang is my favorite brewery… this is the greatest news ever. Ommegang Witte, BPA and Art of Darkness are my three favorite beers… and I expect Iron Throne Blonde Ale to be up there with the rest. Smart move by Ommegang. I know fans of the show/books who would casually fawn over Ommegang when my roommate and I would have some but wouldn’t seek it out… and are now buying up every variety they can try.

Also… if you have a Yard House chain restaurant near you… they tend to have the Witte and another variety on tap. Some specialty places with a large variety of quality craft beers will usually have one of them… but who knows if they’ll carry ITBA.

18. A_S00
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Annoyed by “pale ale” goof in article (twice).

Still excited about GoT beer.

19. John W
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Off topic here but does anyone have any specific details for the Season 2 blu ray?

Amazon has it listed as blu-ray/dvd combo which I assume means you’re getting the entire season on both blu ray and dvd format, but the number of discs is 7.

Now season 1 on blu ray consisted of 5 blu ray discs and season two dvd consists of 7 discs so how are they fitting both dvd and blu ray on 7 discs total?

Anyone have any info?

20. SourBillyTipton
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: HBO has always unveiled a new Thrones trailer in the month of January and this year should be no different. Circle Jan 13 on your calendar, that is the premiere date of Girls, their most-watched and buzzed about show outside of the Big 3 dramas.

I thought the same thing since the first trailer came out Jan 29 for season 2, and this season wrapped a few weeks earlier than the last.

But since you sound so confident can we assume you know something?

21. saark
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

i…. need… more…. legit GOT News…..

*itch* *itch**scratch* *scratch

this article is methadone. not the real deal.

its not your fault WIC, thanks for trying to help…

Posted January 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

John W, good question. I’ve sent your query on to HBO, I will let you know what they say. Keep an eye on the comments here.

SourBillyTipton, no, but I wish I did. This is just an educated guess based on HBO’s past history.

23. John W
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink
  24. Mosh
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

This interview has a little more information. I don’t think it was linked here yet.

25. Kevin
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Any word on the availability of this beer? I hope I can just go to one of the many liquor stores by me to get this.

26. SourBillyTipton
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thanks, Love your sight and the quick replies.

27. iRaven
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I’m actually a salesman for a beer distributor out of Chicago, unfortunately we don’t carry this brand :( I’d definitely get that shit on tap somewhere near myself if that were the case!

I wonder when they say that it is to be released on premiere day (Sunday 3/31/13), if that’s when the brewery will ship it to distributors, or if that’s just a rough estimate of when it will hit the shelves from the distributors. I know there aren’t any liquor store in our entire market that receive deliveries on Sundays, and that probably goes for just about everywhere.

Sent from my iRaven.

28. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

saark,

Not long now untill your true thirst will be….quenched!

Hang in there man! There will be trailers out in no time :)

29. Duff Man
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 8:37 am | Permalink

I prefer the term “beer geek” to “beer snob” sounds better and less of a put off.
    Ommegang makes some great beers so I’ll probably pick up a bottle of this at some point even though the label is awful. Not big on the name either . Put me in the group as well that is ready for more news/pics about season 3 to start coming in.

30. dizzy
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Was wondering why they choose a blonde beer. I guess that makes sense. Not a big fan of blondes (beer not women) but I’ll try this if I can find it in my neck of the woods.

31. Ser Rib
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Hello…….. my family owns a tavern here in the Philly area and we have put in a inquiry about getting this beer on Tap from our supplier. The rep for Ommegang ensured us he will supply us within plenty of time before the premiere. I would suggest that if you have a favorite tavern or bar put a request into them so they can place an order. Or come visit us in Philly!

(shameless plug… I’m sorry haah)

32. ACVG
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Kevin,

anywhere near greenpoint????

33. Kevin
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

ACVG,

Bay Ridge

34. Rygar
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I consider myself a total beer snob. I am of the “Tastes Great” sort as opposed to the “Less Filling” crowd for all you Miller fans.

I actually tried Ommegang for the first time this past week. I had a Chocolate Stout, a Dubbel, and a Pale Ale. All three were amazing. I am very excited over this new line and will certainly pick up a few pints.

35. Rygar
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Hi Wildseed! Miss you!

Ha Baratheon Stout indeed! Love it. Now if they could only include a breastplate stretcher with every pint….

WildSeed: Agreed AND I’ll raise my mug of hot Pear Cider to yours :D !

Those Lannisters ( venture capitalist ) always seem to find a way to market the
    would be flooding the market………literary.

36. Gilles Biaumet
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I can’t believe the brewery producing this ale has the name of an old belgian tradition, plus my office is like 15 meters away from a street named “Ommegang Street”… the shame is there’s like zero chance for us to find it in Europe, still proud to be belgian though…

37. Kevin
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Rygar,

I went to college 20 minutes from Ommegang, so I’ve had my fair share of their beers. I’m partial to Hennepin.

38. Rygar
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Kevin,

Will have to give it a taste. Thanks!

Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

John W, HBO says that the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack actually includes only 5 discs. They are double-sided, so they have the Blu-ray format on one side and DVD on the other.

Mosh, I hadn’t seen that interview yet, but it is a good one. I added it to the post. Thanks!

Ser Rib, if only I still lived in the Philly area, I would have definitely stopped in for a pint! Somewhat on topic, do you have any opinion on who the next coach of the Eagles should be?

40. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

MEAD?!! <3

41. Al Swearengen
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

When is this site going to get a forum ?

42. axia777
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I would have made the Iron Islander beer a stout and had the Lannister beer the ale. The beer from the Stormlands could be a bitter or a barely wine. Then have then famously strong cider from Old Town to top it all off. ;-)

Grijnwaald:
    MEAD?!! <3

Mead for the Starks! :-D

Al Swearengen:
    When is this site going to get a forum ?

THIS. We need a general forums. This is site would rule even more with one for more in depth discussion.

43. Team Selmy
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

The liquor store down the street from me already sells other ommegang brews, hope they sell this one too!!!!

44. Donnana Walker Squirrely
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I, for one, hope that a large venue in every city will host a premier party, introducing the new brew a couple hours prior to start time. If you are a promoter and/or distributor in Omaha, this means you :)

45. sunspear
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

OT, but I saw this in the news: HBO and the AHA are being sued over alleged horse abuse on the set of Luck.

She should have filed the lawsuit 8 months ago if she wanted people to take it seriously.

46. Jen@House Stark
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: Agreed AND I’ll raise my mug of hot Pear Cider to yours :D !

Those Lannisters ( venture capitalist ) always seem to find a way to market the
    would be flooding the market………literary.

Right you are Wildwoman! Oh to have King Robert back and his wit.

47. WildSeed
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark,

Yes, king Robert’s presence would have given the Brewmaesters or monks
    inspiration for a nice concoction of mead or vino :D Here’s to old friends
    ( and kings ) not forgotten as that old song went , Auld Lang Syne :D!

48. RogueEntity
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Paste: Well, you have another beer that will be debuting in the fall, and then two more with subsequent seasons of the show.

Did I miss S4 being greenlit already? Or did someone just spoil it?

49. sjwenings
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:30 am | Permalink

RogueEntity,

Neither.

50. SourBillyTipton
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Where at in the Philly area? I’m in Marlton.

Not an Eagles fan, but it seems like Chip Kelly is the hot name. No matter what they’re better off without Reid.

51. Ser Rib
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I am an Eagles fan and glad to be liberated from Andy Reid. I would like Mike McCoy Offensive Coordinator from Denver to be the next coach. He has shown himself to be very adptable, something Andy Reid defintely wasn’t! He re-designed an entire offence just so Tebow could have a chance in this league. Than followed that up by bringing in Peyton Manning and running an entirely different offence! Frankly, any coach that will accidently run the ball would help! haha

By the way, I’m trying to convince the Ommengang rep to get me a taste of this beer ahead of time. My fingers are crossed! The brewery by the way is very familiar with this site!

Posted January 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

SourBillyTipton, that’s where I lived! Was born and raised there even.

Ser Rib, I’m not sure who I want yet. I don’t think I want Kelly. Gimmicky college coaches almost never work at the pro level. McCoy seems like a solid candidate though.

If you get a sample of the beer, let us know how it tastes!

53. SourBillyTipton
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Haha go Chiefs!

It really is a small world. It’s cool to know someone from where I live made one of my favorite websites.

54. John W
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink
  55. michael
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 6:49 am | Permalink

nice, i live about an hour from the brewery and i’ve been there several times. will have to make another trip i guess.

56. Bryon Blofstein
    Posted January 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

If I will go at length to get Yuengling I will certainly do what I must to find where I can get this.