GRRM’s episode gets a title change, now called ‘Chains’
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

George R. R. Martin has posted on his Not A Blog that the episode he wrote for Game of Thrones this season, episode seven, has had its title changed. Originally called ‘Autumn Storms’, it will now be titled ‘Chains’.

The episode I scripted for the third season of HBO’s GAME OF THRONES has been retitled.

It was formerly “Autumn Storms,” which I never much liked… but the episode did have a lot of rain in it.

The rain went away. So did the title.

The episode is now “Chains.” I like that better. And it works on both a literal and metaphorical level.

It will still be the seventh show of the season, episode 307.

This, as well as everything else we know about the season three episodes so far, can be found on our just-launched Episode Guide. It is a little sparse now, but we will keep it updated as new info drops, so be sure to bookmark it.

Winter Is Coming: It sounds like difficulty in creating rain may have been the impetus behind the title change. What do you think this new title refers to?

1. Matt S
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Sounds like the person who writes the episode doesn’t get to choose the title, or at least in this case. Strange.

2. Boštjan Gorenc
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

“What do you think this new title refers to?”
    Well, obviously the Reed twins weren’t the only ones who got moved up one season. We’ll finally see the chain and the winch towers on the Blackwater Rush.

3. Ser Tahu
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Boštjan Gorenc,

And what purpose could those towers possibly serve?

My guess is that it is a reference to Jojen’s and Bran’s dreams of Bran being a chained winged wolf(?). Or it could also be a reference to Jaime and Brienne’s capture. Given the events that will be happening in the last few episodes, I am more inclined to think that it is the latter.

4. Mish
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:07 am | Permalink

I’m guessing the slaves of Astapor, and a certain breaker of chains.

5. Ser Tahu
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Mish,

Good point. That is definitely a possibility, although I thought that happened earlier?

6. Mish
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:11 am | Permalink

What transpires there would likely happen near the end of the season. So an arrival there at least sounds right.

I also apologize for not knowing how to do spoilers on my mobile.

7. T.C.
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

I think we’re being too literal about this. The very word ‘chains’ sounds a lot like ‘change,’ which the episode is really all about.

I’m actually worried about George saying “the rain went away.” Is that literally saying “it wasn’t raining when we shot the scenes,” or did the editors have to cut out the Rains of Castamere song. I really hope it’s the former.

8. AA
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

I’ve heard a number of people mention that it might be the Dracarys scene, but I find it difficult to imagine the title changing from a Westeros centered name (Autumn Storms) to a reference to events in Essos. I’m guessing whichever episode has the Dracarys scene already has a title that somehow references that event.

I think Chains may refer to every single character being stuck, captured, or not in their own control. At that point in the season, I can see that applying to Sansa in Kings Landing, Arya, and Jamie and Brienne. Even Tyrion and Cersei under Tywin.

9. Nick Larter
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Qyburn tells Jaime the story about how he lost his?

10. Matt Davies
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

It could be to do with the metaphorical ‘chain’ that duty and captivity brings.

Jon’ll probably escape from Queenscrown in this episode because of the ‘chains’ that the Night’s Watch have on him and Edmure will be forced to marry Roslin in this episode, showing the ‘chains’ that arranged marriage brings, Tyrion will probably talk to Shae in this episode about Sansa, this being another thing to add to the forced marriage theme. Arya is also with the brotherhood without banners here, as a captive, and Jaime and Brienne are captives of the Brave Companions. There are metaphorical chains here.

11. João Capitão-Mor
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Daenarys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of CHAINS. Maybe?

12. sunspear
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Mish,

Seems a little late in the season for that. My guess is that it has something to do with Theon’s escape attempt.

13. Arkash
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Oh… It rhymes with Reek.

Btw, quite sad the rain is gone… maybe I’m mistaken but some of the events I imagined being featured in this episode had to be under a heavy rain (not to spoil anything, I’ll just say I was thinking of Queescrown and the march of some army…).

Those events wouldnt be the same without the rain, so I hope that if there is no rain in the episode, those events wont be featured in it too…

Then, I know how difficult it is to shoot under heavy rain (natural or artificial), so I’ll forgive the show if those events are under the sun.

14. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Should rename the Blackwater episode ‘Lack of Chains’

15. Duff Man
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Does this name change mean we can expect a cameo from Fleetwood Mac??

16. Rygar
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Chains. My baby’s got me locked up in chains. And they aint the kind that you can see. Whoa the chains of love got a hold of me, yeah.

17. Dave
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I’m not quite sure how the Queenscrown scene could be done without rain. Seems a solid chance that that’s not this episode.

18. Dave
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Maybe Sandor puts Arya in chains when he captures her (to end the episode?) or maybe Brienne being put in chains after dinner with Roose.

19. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Tyrion and Sansa find out they are in a “chained” situation? Jon at Queenscrown, Bran’s “chain” on Hodor, Robb’s heavy Frey burdens, Jaime & Brienne feat. bear, Arya in the “chains” of BwB… all are in “chained” situations! Some of this might get in Martin’s episode!

Oh, and Dracarys also, if they pushed the story very much forward.

20. Dave
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I don’t see how they could stretch Dany’s story so that Astapor happens as late as episode seven. There’s a scene where she meets Barristan at the docks, a scene on a boat, and then she is in Astapor, where there would be a scene meeting the slave masters. They’d have to leave her completely out of a couple of episodes.

21. Mescalinic
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

i was skeptical from the beginning about the rain. not because of technical problem, but simply because they used that kind of atmosphere in the seconds season during ser Rodrik’s execution. of course, the ‘kinslaying’ scene under the rain would have been great, but it also would have been kind of repetitive :)

22. fdgytyrt
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

“Fool’s blood, king’s blood, blood on the maiden’s thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.”???”

someone in another site made a comment like this. does this mean RW?

23. WompWomp
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

fdgytyrt,

I’m shocked more people haven’t read it that way. It’s like people are shotgunning every guess but this. When I heard the title, my first thought was the restraining of Grey Wind.

24. Hi-Fi
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Reek.

25. AA
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

fdgytyrt,

WompWomp,

We’re talking about episode 7. RW is confirmed to be episode 9.

26. SourBillyTipton
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

When was it confirmed that episode 9 is the RW?

All or some of these moments in the book could be featured in the episode, they all deal more or less with the idea of imprisonment or freedom.

SPOILERS BELOW!
    </b
    The episode might have the slave revolt in Astapor
    Arya as a prisoner to the Hound
    Jon not wanting to kill the old man who was a captive of the Wildlings and then escaping for himself.
    Gilly and her new freedom from Craster

27. Arkash
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Nay, the RW is episode 9.

Some of the events I’d see in this episode 7:

- Queenscrown.
    - Theon’s escape attempt.
    - Dracarys.
    - Mutinery at Craster’s.
    - Arya and the Hound travelling.
    - Sansa learning she is to marry Tyrion.
    - Davos reading to read.
    - Robb’s march across the Riverlands.

28. the goat
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Dave:
    They’d have to leave her completely out of a couple of episodes.

They’ve done this several times in the past, with Dany & other characters. And they can certainly expand on her time in Astapor, especially since they’ll be introducing (& re-introducing) a bunch of new characters to her arc (Arstan, Missandei, Kraznys & possibly Daario, Pendahl & Grey Worm prior to “Dracarys”.)

29. TheAnchoress
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Much better title. GoT is at its best when all its multiple storylines can play off each other thematically, even much more so then when there are uniting visual elements (think the comet in the s02 premiere). Given the, er, constraining relationships at play by this point, “Chains” suits. I’m thinking escape attempt, Edmure’s betrothal to Roslin, Queenstown, Sansa and Tyrion, end with Arya’s capture or the revolt at Astapoor.

Also, RW is definitely 9. Dave and Dan have stated that sequence is the reason they wanted to do the show – as much as we all love George, they’ll be the ones writing it.

30. jared
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Arkash:
    Nay, the RW is episode 9.

Some of the events I’d see in this episode 7:

- Queenscrown.
    - Theon’s escape attempt.
    - Dracarys.
    - Mutinery at Craster’s.
    - Arya and the Hound travelling.
    - Sansa learning she is to marry Tyrion.
    - Davos reading to read.
    - Robb’s march across the Riverlands.

Doesnt Robb find out about the imp and sansas marriage before he makes his march across the riverlands. Learning of that news is what make him make Jon his heir which also happens before that march. Its been awhile so i could be wrong

31. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

HBO posted a new teaser on their youtube:

32. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Nick_Scryer:
    HBO posted a new teaser on their youtube:

It was pretty lame if you ask me.

33. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm:
    Nick_Scryer,

It was pretty lame if you ask me.

Indeed but it did have The Rains of Castamere with a little bit of drums. That whet my appetite a little. :)

34. Watson
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Not that exciting, I agree.

35. Tom
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

T.C.,

Yes, it didn’t rain when they were shooting

36. Myles
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

The literal chains can only be either Jaime’s or Daenerys Stormborn, breaker of chains…

37. WildSeed
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I saw this in GRRM’s Blog, gotta love the guy, his pragmatic process to storytelling.
    He cracks me up with his anecdotes .

38. Ioco73
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

It’s just a title change of an episode, things like these do happen…it’s not the end of the world!

39. AJC
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

I don’t think it has anything to do with lack of rain when shooting, 2012 was wet – even by British standards.

40. Meaghan
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

My first thought was that it could be a Theon-centric storyline. There’s a lot of good guesses though, it could be anything!

41. Aly
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Dave,

I’d even go as far as to guess that the “breaker of chains” scene will be Dany’s season-ender, in Episode 10. I think they can and will have to stretch her storyline out a lot over seasons 3 and 4, and I’d expect that a lot of not-in-the-book scenes were written for her.

42. Kaeth
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

My guess is that, His episode will be joffreys wedding and not the red, because he always said it was tough writing about the red wedding and the chains will probably be tyrion getting arrested for it.

43. Szymon
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Dave,

reek it rhymes with weak.

44. Baramos
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

I figured Autumn Storms had something to do with RW…Chains fits, too, the Greatjon is put in chains, so is Grey Wind before everything goes down…

45. GeekFurious
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Matt S:

The showrunners usually make decisions on episode titles; are the final say on content in episodes; choose the director for an episode; have the final cut in an episode; have final say on music in an episode… pretty much do what the name suggests: run the show.

46. paul
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Maybe the episode is the Arya/Hound and the trial by combat with beric? iirc rain was prominent in most of that arc plus its a suitably big event to give to GRRM. Cant help but think Queenscrown will be later based on casting for some of the watch(getting one episode suggests ep10)

47. Kasrith
    Posted January 15, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Dave,

I think you’re taking that all too literally. The ‘rains’ may have left after they were done filming, and they finally gave in and changed the name. Doesn’t mean that the scenes captured don’t have rain in them… They can’t change the episodes around on account of the weather, Queenscrown is still this episode