More nominations for Thrones
By Hear Me Roar on in Awards.

Visual Effects Society announced the nominations for their awards (11th this year), and Game of Thrones is up for four, one more than last year:

• Visual effects: Valar Morghulis
  • Character: training the dragons
  • Created environment: Pyke
  • Compositing: White Walker army

The awards will be presented on 5th February.

Cinema Audio Society nominated Thrones for best sound mixing in a one-hour TV series, based on Blackwater. The awards will be announced on 16th February.

Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association (GALECA) nominated Game of Thrones for TV Drama of the Year in the annual Dorian Awards. Announced on 16th January, this will be the first of the awards in this post to be decided on.

Irish Film and Television Academy likewise announced their nominations, and Game of Thrones is competing for best TV drama, director of photography (PJ Dillon), and sound. (In addition, for their other work, the actors Michael McElhatton (playing Roose Bolton on Thrones), Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion in S3), and Ciarán Hinds (Mance) were nominated as well.) The ceremony will take place on 9th February.

UPDATE: The American Film Institute Awards reception took place last weekend (Thrones made the list of 10 best TV programs of the year in December). You can find some nice photos of those in attendance after the jump (John Bradley, Emilia Clarke, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau). Likewise, HBO threw a party after the Golden Globes last night, and posted photos of Gwendoline Christie, Emilia ClarkeKit Harington, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as well.

1. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:29 am | Permalink

Valar Morghulis gets visual effects nomination? But the wildfire explosion was the greatest special effects moment of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

2. Reverse Nielsen
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:44 am | Permalink

Pyke looked wonderful, but I have to second SHB in that the wildfire explosion was just phenomenal

3. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:47 am | Permalink

micheal mcelhatton plays roose bolton, ian mcelhinney plays ser Barristan so not quite sure which one your referring to

4. Nezzer
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:15 am | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf:

Yeah, that last bit was pretty confusing.

5. Tar Kidho
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:32 am | Permalink

I personally found the White Walker army scene the least real-looking visual effect last season, but if that’s still good enough to warrent a nomination it shows how happy we can be as GoT fans.

6. tweedie
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:33 am | Permalink

For created environment Pyke was amazing, but I loved the work they did on Harrenhal as well. There was one sweeping shot of Charles Dance with all the scale and majesty of Harrenhal in the bakground that was particularly impressive

7. Arkash
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:42 am | Permalink

The dragons were mind-blowing…

I am really seldom impressed by VFX… most of those I see are lame and ridiculous, but the dragons were just… perfect, there is no other way to put it ! Among the best VFX I have ever seen (just alongside the Fish People and Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Carribbean).

So kuddos to that !

8. Watson
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:44 am | Permalink

tweedie,

I love that shot. I hope we can get a similar one of the Red Keep.

9. Anonymous
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Ciaran Hind was also nominated to an IFTA. :)

Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Anonymous,

Thanks, oversight :)

11. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I just wonder why we can’t get more battles or shots of the dragons and direwolves.
    I mean…direwolves are very important and they rarely appear, the fact that Ghost abandoned Jon during the second season was hilarious, he just vanished.
    I know they always say it’s because of the budget, but then again…there are movies and other series with lots of VFX that costed less than Game of Thrones.

12. Arkash
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Not on the long term… GoT is like a 10 hours movie in a way… so CGI becomes really damn expensive.

But since this season there is no big event like Blackwater requiring half the budget, I guess we will see more of the dragons and direwolves.

13. Tar Kidho
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Arkash: since this season there is no big event like Blackwater requiring half the budget, I guess we will see more of the dragons and direwolves.

I definitely hope so, though some of that budget might go to the slightly longer episodes I guess…

14. Udi
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

15. babar
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

You must have missed the dragons, then.

16. Pepi
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

For those, who usually don’t monitor westeros.org (where I got the link) … Here’s an awesome interview with our maester Pycelle. It’s a pretty long interview and it’s almost all bout Game of Thrones. But be warned! Mr Glover doesn’t give a rat’s arse about spoiling stuff. :D

17. Mormegil
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Udi: Tar Kidho, I agree. The White walker or wight “army” was a big letdown, as it was the last scene in S2. The mounted one was amazing (I could have done without the screeching noise he made) but the rest was really bad IMO. What happened to the blue eyed ones from S1? It really felt as if all the CGI went to Blackwater and episode 10 was the leftovers.

The White Walker was a guy in costume not CGI.

18. Iron Born
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I have only 3 things to say …Backwater. Backwater. Backwater!!

19. The Anchoress
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Udi,

Definitely a balancing act worthy of a grand maester. I think they bank on the blue eyes from the pilot being arresting enough visuals the viewer can bring those feelings onto the WW army at the end. What matters, it’s an XLS, is the scale of the army – details are always more expensive to render, hence the absence of the dragons for most of S2. If you’re trying to establish a hook to carry viewers through the hiatus, the dragons and Blackwater really do that work. The WW ending is tonally correct, but in the game of show budgets, you find places to skimp or you die – a lesson ROME failed to learn, alas.

20. sunspear
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Arkash:

Yeah, but there are a lot of smaller scenes this season that will chew up a lot of the budget.
    There’s the Battle at the fist, the later Wight attacks, the freeing of the unsullied, the fighting at the RW, and probably the fighting at Yunkai.

I don’t know what people are talking about being disappointed by the WW army at the end. That was amazing.

21. Arkash
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Leftovers ? The dragons ?

They are, by far, a much more difficult thing to do than the explosion !

22. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Sweet. A woman is always pleased when the talented cast and crew are nominated as the best of their peers. Huzzah!

23. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm:

There are 10-hour movies with lots of VFX that cost less than GOT? Name 5 movies or series that this is true for.

24. Andrew
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm,

There really aren’t many movies that have VFX shots of this quality and abundance, with a budget lower than Game of Thrones. At least none that I can think of. Besides, the VFX budget has to encompass every matte painting, set extension, digital wire removal/cable cleanup/random things that got overlooked when shooting, and then the big shots you recognize as VFX. It starts to add up quite quickly. It might also have to share it’s budget with the editors and other post-production assets like colourists.

On topic, I really hope the dragons win the character category. Absolutely loved the work they did with them!

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Anyone boycotting the Globes tonight?

Poehler and Fey are hosting, and that alone makes me want to watch but it’s plain the Globes snubbed GoT because it aired earlier in the year. If you look at all the premium Cable dramas nominated they all aired in the last three months.

26. Jambo
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I’ll probably still watch, but a lot of their selections for categories are really annoying.

The two hosts are on two of the best comedies out there, and neither of their shows were nominated….and the awards are airing on the same network as their shows are on. I’ve never even heard of the show Smash before reading the list of nominations.

27. john
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

The hardest CGI they do is the Dragons and the Wolves. Any fictional and living “animal” that is supposed to look “real” is hard to get right. Static objects and CGI explosions isn’t nearly as hard.

This show has phenomenal CGI. Probably the best I’ve ever seen from a TV-show.

28. Zack
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Created environment: Pyke? I totally agree with that one, it was a fantastically realized location. I can’t wait for Balon’s death on the swaying rope bridge this season, that should make for kickass television. I hope they show it :)

As always, congrats to the crew and actors for the well-deserved recognition. And thanks, for getting most things so completely right.

29. Patchy Face
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Jambo,

Watched and the Globes really are funny but so annoyed when they read some of the crappy nominees and NO ONE from GoT is there. Simply ridiculous!

30. Hunter
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Why do gays and lesbians need their own tv/film award venue? Does sexual orientation factor into GoT enjoyment more than I knew? Would I enjoy the show more if I started blowing dudes? Cuz I’ll do it.

31. Tar Kidho
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:30 am | Permalink

GoT got snubbed at the Golden Globes!!! Oh wait…that’s old news isn’t it?

32. Udi
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Mormegil, I know, but there was CGI used ofc and I was not impressed to say the least. Still, I realize I am spoiled with regards to GoT and as a whole the series just rocks.

33. Udi
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 5:34 am | Permalink

The Anchoress,

Never saw Rome but I’ll take your word for it. I didn’t like the ending with the WW army but as I already mentioned, the (real costumed) WW made up for it and the series as a whole is so good I can afford to be dissapointed here and there.

34. Tim
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Anyone boycotting the Globes tonight?

There are other good reasons to not watch the Golden Globes (it’s long, boring most of the time, etc.). Honestly, for those who boycotted the show because their favorites shows weren’t nominated are petty and childish. So GoT wasn’t nominated for anything on two-bit award show, big deal. I thought GoT fans were better than this. Better shows were snubbed by the Golden Globes i.e. The Wire and I believe Bryan Cranston never won once for Breaking Bad. At least, Peter Dinklage took home one. Anyway, I mainly watched it because Tina Fey and Amy Poehler who were funny without being overly mean like Ricky Gervais did.

35. Ed Pickness
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Tim,

Good point, but I’m not surprise at the actions of some of the fans. There are some GoT fans whether here or other sites that displays some bully mentality, where you criticize the show, they will go after you and chastise your every opinion.

36. Tereeza777
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Anyone boycotting the Globes tonight?

Joshua Taylor,

Watched the GG and thought Amy and Tina did GREAT – so funny and fresh without being too mean. Love “Homeland”, so really happy about all the wins. Still think Mandy Patinkin, the “Ned Stark” of “Homeland”, deserves a prize for his great work – so maybe an Emmy will come his way. Not totally sure about your “timing” theory because that’s what they were saying about “Argo” – that it was released too early in the year – and got overshadowed by “Lincoln”, “Zero Dark Thirty”, etc. But “Argo” won the big prizes anyway – Best Movie (Drama) and Best Director. GoT deserved to be nominated this year and it will no doubt be nominated next year – and maybe even win!

37. jkb
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

nice shoes on sam ;p

38. Alan
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm:

Are there? Game of Thrones costs somewhere around $7M/hour of screen time. How many films with lots fo VFX cost somewhere in the $10-20M range overall?

Even District 9 — which wowed everyone by not being expensive — cost $30M in production costs. At just under two hours, it came in at about $15M per hour or Double what Game of Thrones’ budget is. And that’s before you factor in that they really had one location, etc.

Lord of the Rings is actually pretty comparable to a season of Game of Thrones — nine plus hours, fantasy, shot all at once. It cost $281M. That’s 4x the budget of a season of Game of Thrones. And that was years ago and pretty efficient. Now a big action movie will cost $50M/hour of screentime without anyone blinking. John Carter supposedly cost $250M for two hours.

39. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Tim,

Then of course the globes chose Kevin Costner over Benedict Cumberbatch. The guy is nominated every time and never wins. Costner won because he was Costner.

40. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Does anyone see the supposed video on this site?

It’s supposed to be a clip of the “Roundtable” extra from the season 2 DVD but I don’t see it :(

41. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Tereeza777,

Argo was released early in the fall, right during Awards season just after TIFF. GoT was released last spring. My theory still applies.

42. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

“Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association (GALECA)”

What’s the point in that?

oh well, it’s always nice to see the cast again.

43. babar
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Here you go, I put it on Youtube: http://youtu.be/30m22K6lOqI

44. the goat
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Gwen’s dress last night at the GG after-party: Dead. Buried. Resurrected by R’hllor.
    She is so awesome it hurts.

Khaleesi was likewise stunning.

45. WildSeed
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

WOW, Brienne and Khaleesi exuding fabulosity and girl power :D at the
    Golden Globes ceremony. Samwell looks adorable, all cleaned up :D!

46. Tereeza777
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Started reading about “Argo” in late August right after Telluride. Think it was actually released in early October, but several weeks before some of the other ones. Not sure why GoT didn’t get nominated this year. Hopefully next year.

47. mags giantsbabe
    Posted January 15, 2013 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Nikolaj and Kit also looked great ;D

48. El Beto
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

She is so fucking cute…

49. Tim
    Posted January 18, 2013 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

So, what’s your point? Just because the Globes awarded Costner doesn’t mean there’s absolute proof he’s better than Cumberbatch and if he is, so what? Costner may have done some stinkers like The Postman and Waterworld, but he’s also done some great work. Like it or not, there will be people who will like other shows ahead of GoT and some of those people will be fortunate enough to be in a group that will give out awards, no matter what conspiracy theories you make up. Deal with it.

50. Liz B.
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Like, they didn’t resemble real zombies?

51. Liz B.