Aidan Gillen talks season 4: “I have a ship”
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

I'm on a boatAidan Gillen talks season four of Game of Thrones in a short interview with the Herald. Here is the relevant quote:

The Dublin native is enjoying a relaxing six- month break before filming starts on the fourth series of Game Of Thrones.

“I’m chilling out till June,” he said. “And then I’m going back to do Game Of Thrones.”

Aidan plays the part of Lord Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish in the hit HBO series and Gillen says he’s looking forward to filming. “It should be a good one — I have a ship in this series which is cool.”

Winter Is Coming: A ship is all well good, but what I really want to see is Littlefinger’s jetpack! All kidding aside, fans of the books should know where Petyr’s ship comes into play. Also interesting to note, this is the second actor in recent days to mention season four as a certainty (Julian Glover was the first). We all expect a season four greenlight will be coming, but it’s nice to know the cast are as confident as we are.

1. Matt S
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Littlefinger on the Iron Throne at the end. That’s how I want Game Of Thrones to end goddamnit!

2. Independent George
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:23 am | Permalink

I have a mental image of Littlefinger standing on the prow of a ship, proclaiming in the Old Spice Man voice, “I’m on a boat!”. Then giving us a monacle smile.

3. Omar Brown
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:26 am | Permalink

He’s on a boat!! ;-)

4. Duff Man
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Did they ask him if he will be poaching more lines from The Hound this year?

5. Arkash
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Crossbows… crossbows everywhere !

6. azad injejikian
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Does this mean they’ll merge Tyrion and Sansa’s wedding with the Purple Wedding’s outcome?

Why else would he need the ship? Unless it’s setup for Sansa’s escape next year.

7. Mitchjava
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:47 am | Permalink

azad injejikian,

He’s talking about season 4 when he says next season !

Sansa and Tyrion wedding is in season 3 and the PW in season 4, So it’s will be the ship to rescue Sansa and head to the eerie after the PW

8. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I can’t wait for Sansa’s story line next year, Sansa/LF in the Vale from aSoS is one of my favourite parts of this entire series.

I wonder how they’ll do the snow Winterfell scene next year, will they have him kiss Sophie Turner for the part where Lysa sees it and then jumps to conclusion’s about them, leading to ‘Only Cat’. Is that even allowed with her being under 18?

How else could do they do the scene?

9. Sean T. Collins
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

10. Kevin
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

somewhat unrelated, but I wonder if the Kettleblacks will be included in the show? their father is supposed to be on that ship

11. Manny
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Kevin,

I can imagine their role being combined into just one character. Probably just Osmund Kettleblack who joins the Kingsguard. Its like how I imagine they will having Loras fulfil the role of his brother Garlan.

12. Caro H
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Sorry, Idk how to put spoilers in my phone’s keyboard…. I thought he meant his wooing of Lysa. And the sad thing is that when sophie turner is filming the scenes in the vale she will be 18 and could shoot Petyr’s kiss. It’s sad that they didn’t even have her cup the hound’s cheek or something due to the age difference when aiden is older than rory. I think aiden meant Lysa, their interactions are gonna be weird but cool!

13. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Edit: Just read that LF is talking about season 4 so this makes sense. It may very well be the ship he uses to get Sansa out of KL

14. blatz
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I just love how all the actors refer to season 4 like it’s already greenlit. Gives me high hopes for the future seasons.

15. Justin
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Its already been confirmed that RW will happen this season

16. patty
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

First you are going to have to live through season three being broken up into two pieces. They have already said it is too big for one season. So, I am thinking it will be awhile for season 4. Will they end the first half of season three with the Red Wedding?

17. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

This pretty much guarantees that the PW will be on season 4 =]

18. novichaso
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

she turns 18 next year I think…

19. Kevin
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

patty,

i’m not sure if it has been 100% confirmed, but everyone expects RW in episode 9

20. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

*PW seems pretty much in S4
    *Sophie Turner will be 18 next year, so the kiss scene is more than possible.
    *I think it will only be 1 kettleback, or maybe they will find some twins. :D

*So happy that GoT 4 is a certainty.

21. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Kevin:
    patty,

Yes the RW has been 100% confirmed for episode 9 by this very site

22. Clabog
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Lena Headey also referred to shooting season 4 in June on twitter the other day. Guess a renewal is pretty much guaranteed.

23. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

novichaso:
    Nick_Scryer,

she turns 18 next year I think…

According to her wikipedia (which of course may not be correct) she will be 17 when filming season 4 .

Edit: which is basically what you said, sorry my bad. Still thinking it’s 2012 lol.

Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

patty:
    First you are going to have to live through season three being broken up into two pieces. They have already said it is too big for one season. So, I am thinking it will be awhile for season 4.Will they end the first half of season three with the Red Wedding?

I think you are confused. Season 3 is not being broken in two, the third book is. Season 3 will cover the first half (roughly), and season 4 the second half.

And yes, the RW will be in this season and it will happen in ep. 9.

25. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

26. Tenesmus
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Not sure why all are so sure PW is S4. For instance LF could disappear after BW and emerge in S3 ep 10 to whisk Sansa away.

27. Mitchjava
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Tenesmus,

There to many missing elements to have the PW in S3, Penny not cast, Red Viper not cast, with the RW on episode 9 having the PW on episode 10 would leave no time for all other storyline and would diminish both events.

28. Arkash
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Well, watch “Interview with a Vampire”… there is a kiss between an underage girl and a grown man (Brad Pitt and Kirsten Dunst). I think it is legal… but to go beyond that is illegal.

29. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens,

Like that would be the ‘biggest’ of the casting problems :))

30. Duff Man
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

The only way anyone is getting the PW this year is if they plan on rereading A Storm of Swords!

31. Dana
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

In the books, didn’t Littlefinger wait until he smuggled Sansa out of KL to get to the Eyrie? Apparently in the show, he’ll actually be going there first without Sansa (since Kate Dickey and the kid who plays Robin have been confirmed for this season), and then I assume he’ll sail back to KL in S4 right as Joffrey’s death occurs. That would mean Joffrey’s death would have to be fairly early, because I can’t imagine him spending too much time in the Eyrie, or on the waters, by himself.

32. Sarah
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Would there really be an issue with Sansa kissing Baelish? Everyone is saying she will be 18, but the legal age for intercourse is 16. Is it different for tv? And it’s only a kiss. I have seen far worse in programmes with children under 16.

33. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Would have to think PW would come somewhere early-ish in the 4th season, and the spine of that season perhaps shifts back in the direction of Tyrion as he faces his trial (and maybe the Greyjoys, and of course Jon and Dany). That gives you the climax of Tywin’s death to work with along with the defeat of the Wildings by Stannis.

34. RichMan
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Littlefinger had no problem moving around before. From Kingslanding to the meeting with Cat, to Harrenhall and back to Kingslanding.

Even without a ship he seems to have no problem moving with the speed of plot.

35. Arkash
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

And this will continue I guess… Flashfinger will strike again next season !

36. Nick Larter
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Look, you’ve all misunderstood him – when LF says ‘he has a ship’, he doesn’t mean one with sails and a keel, he means he’s traded up the jetpack for something with phasers and a transporter, so he can zip around Westeros faster than ever :D

37. Arkash
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Nick Larter,

Next season : Commander Petyr Baelish of the USS Harrenstars will fly over the Sunset Sea to meet Daenerys Targaryen ! Watch out people !

38. Selmy
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Roll with me on this one. We haven’t had confirmation that Tywin knows Arya has escaped KL. So, on this season, maybe Tywin will learn it from Tyrion or Cersei and think about his ex cupbearer and realizing she was right under her nose.

Maybe even understand that Littlefinger knew who she was. Maybe. That could press Littlefinger to act fast and get out of KL with Sansa.

39. ACVG
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

since so many characters die isnt showing characters talking about S4 kind of spoiler i mean its not like Richard Madden is talking about how excited he is about filming S4

40. GeekFurious
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

HBO will most likely announce the 4th (and perhaps 5th) season after the first episode of season 3. It’s just how their marketing group likes to play it. And marketing controls such announcements.

41. ACVG
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

when do we think Stannis will reach the wall? at the end of S3 or mid S4? i cant wait to see Jon/Mel scenes … Speaking of Stannis, we really need to introduce the Manderly’s or their “equivilant” b/c we *need* to have that frey pie scene and all the awkard scenes in winterfell after ramsays wedding…. you know in like 2016 or 2017… just like to think ahead :)

42. GeekFurious
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Mitchjava:
    Tenesmus,

I’ve been saying since the summer that there is no way PW will be in the 3rd season. At best it will open up the 4th season, with Sansa walking out as the final shot.

43. Jonathan Loesche
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Not sure why everyone is convinced that the PW has to be in Season 4. Between the extra “episode” worth of footage we’ll be getting this year plus D&D confirming that the finale will be longer than usual points to me that Joffrey’s wedding will be the cliffhanger to end the season. I imagine the last shot of the season will be Cersei or Margery revealing Joffrey’s purple bloated face, screaming, with a smash cut to black.

Casual viewers will need some kind of blood spilled after the Red Wedding and Joffrey’s death is the only thing that could fill it.

44. KG
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I’m hoping for ep 2 or 3, right when no non-reader will expect it.

45. Jonathan Loesche
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

ACVG: when do we think Stannis will reach the wall? at the end of S3 or mid S4? i cant wait to see Jon/Mel scenes … :

The Battle of the Wall is confirmed for Season 4, so I expect at most Stannis will be sailing to the Wall at the end of S3

46. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens: I think the PW happening is season 3 was a pipe dream an a long shot to begin with. I mean are we really having a PW without Penny being cast? That would make no sense and severely diminish the PW

Penny won’t need to be cast, all you’ll need is a dwarf actor/stuntman in armor.

And I think PW happening around the 2nd episode of season 4 would be ideal, will totally catch people off guard to have something so momentous taking place so early in the season.

47. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

KG,

Great minds….

48. Ren Snow
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

azad injejikian:

No, that means PW and Sansa’s escape will, thank the Seven, happen in Season 4. I do hope we get Dontos back at least for that.

49. azad injejikian
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Jonathan Loesche,

I’m guessing, Davos will take a knee at the end of season 3, passing a particular note.

50. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

The PW should take place around episode 3-4 of S4. The introduction of the Martells in episode 1. Some buildup to the wedding in episode 2. And then most of episode 3 being set entirely in KL and concluding with Sansa escaping and Tyrion being arrested.

51. Jentario
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

blatz:
    I just love how all the actors refer to season 4 like it’s already greenlit.Gives me high hopes for the future seasons.

AdrianAegon,

No, PW can and still should be this year. There was a whole chapter on Littlefinger’s boat in ASoS, so I’m sure if the last thing that happens in S3 is the PW ending with Sansa’s escape than surely the ship will have to make an appearance in S4, even if just for 1 episode.

If anything, this info supports the PW being in season 3, since Aiden shouldn’t really know for sure whether he gets a boat or not this early, unless of course he had the boat in season 3.

1- In the book there were only 3 chapters between RW and PW.
    2- Casting you know who for such a short role in season 4 is a pointless waste of cash (actors cost lots of money).
    3- People will need vengeance after RW or they will stop watching. You can’t end on such a hopeless, depressing note. Even after killing you know who in season 1 they gave viewers some hope with Robb and Dany. This will be MUCH worse.
    4- The season has to end big. It has to. Every season did before it and this time shouldn’t be a difference. The book had Un-[you know who] but it would be far to early in the story to reveal THAT detail. PW would be a perfect season ender.
    5- Having the PW this season would give the season a shape and an arch and would make Stanis’s side of things more relevant because of the leach prophecy. It really ties all the major events of the season together but won’t be whole without PW.
    6-The last episode shouldn’t just be cutting to every character figuring out about RW because that would be pointless and boring. Something needs to happen.

The only negatives for PW in season 3 are:
    1- There won’t be enough content for a whole season. But if you ask me, only the KL plot lines take a hit from this and they could always take a chunk out of AFFC to fill the gaps.
    2- Oberyn was supposedly not cast. Well, first of all, they may be hiding it. I would if I were them. And secondly, so what? They could do that scene without him and write him in later. Look at the Reeds, that was a true catastrophe and they somehow made it work. Delaying Oberyn a bit wouldn’t hurt anyone or anything and they could always have Jaime replace Tyrion in the earlier scenes with him (I think that could be an awesome relationship). Plus, who said Tyrion has to be blamed right away, maybe they can delay that too. Maybe Cersei can decide Tyrion was responsible AFTER she goes through her mourning, and that way Oberyn can get there in time.

Basically, I think it’s foolish of them if they don’t write the PW into season 3.

52. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

The PW is not happening this year. That event would take up almost an entire self contained episode. With the RW in episode 9, the finale will not be able to fit in all that happens around the PW. Plus, every major scene that has ever been filmed has been leaked,

Jaime and the bear pit = leaked
    RW = leaked
    Tyrion and Sansa wedding = leaked
    PW = Zero info

A scene of that magnitude with as many extras as it will require would have leaked out.

53. Zack
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

I hope you remember that you posted this, lol. I don’t even see this as debatable, it makes so little sense.

54. Jentario
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Zack:
    Jentario,

I’m not saying it WILL happen, only that it SHOULD.

55. Zack
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

My point stands :)

I think putting that in S3 instead of 4 is a great way to overstuff this season at the expense of leaving much less to do in future seasons. Book 4 and 5 combined already are pretty light on KL scenes. They’ll keep the wedding until next season in order that seasons 5 and 6 can be Cersei attempting to rule in the aftermath, and her downfall. If you want them to force that into S4, what the hell else would they pad KL with in 5 and 6? That seems really ill-advised.

56. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

He doesn’t mean ship – he means ‘ship!

57. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

I disagree that it should happen. They made such a big deal about extending the 3rd book beyond just one season. If they are going to do that then why rush through such major events? The PW happening the very next episode after the RW completely lessens the emotional impact of the RW.

58. Qw3rtz
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Having the PW in S3 would be more suitable for many character arcs. But that would require a 12 episode season.

59. Zack
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

With the plot lines for the 4th and 5th books being converged for TV so that viewers don’t have to go without seeing their favorite characters for an entire year, it’s going to mean stretching one book’s worth of character arcs over multiple seasons as it is.

These guys are undoubtedly thinking long term, not immediate gratification.

60. Jentario
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Jentario,

SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS
    It happens 3 chapters later in the book and it didn’t diminish from the emotional impact. In fact, it was just right. Think about it like this, the last episode will be longer than the usual (this was confirmed). Now, roughly half the episode will be devoted to RW reactions and small updates with all the characters, but then, the last 10-15 minutes will be the PW and the season will end with Sansa escaping to the ship in the middle of the commotion.

As for having little content for season 4, I didn’t mean they should take ALL of KL’s arc, only the first few Tyrion chapters (I guess this is ADWD but – in Illirio’s house) and maybe Tywin’s funeral and of course ending with Un-Cat.

Plus, they could introduce all of Dorne along with Oberyn and perhaps have Arianne tag along with him to KL or something.Nothing major and nothing ACTUALLY from the book, just some intros.

Also, they’ll pretty much have to get into the Iron Islands for continuity. There can’t be no reaction to Balon’s death and delaying it by one season is enough. Also, the first scenes of the Iron Islands in AFFC are supposed to be set roughly at that time. They can end with the King’s moot (or whatever it’s called).

As for KL, they can easily make a bigger deal out of Tyrion’s trial, giving it a focus around the season.

Also, they could make stuff up. Look at Arya’s season 4 arc. It’s the definition of a fucked up situation. They will have NOTHING to do with her unless they want to early-up Braavos which wouldn’t work well IMO since its already very little content spread thin on two large books. They are going to have to either make stuff up or get into later stuff. It’s unavoidable.

61. Tenesmus
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

+1 Agree

62. Tenesmus
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

We don’t know how they may have structured the PW. It could be a small ceremony, rewritten as to needing to happen BEFORE the Dornish show up based on one of Tywin’s schemes. Only one thing has to happen at the PW, every other detail can be manipulated to fit the TV show. Penny, Red Viper, et al, are extraneous details that can be worked into the show later. Could even be as simple as Tyrion handing a particular person a cup of wine to toast thier good fortune at hearing the news of the RW; the PW may not even end up being a W after all is said and done.

63. Solar
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I feel like a total creeper looking this up but Sophie Turner is currently 16. Her birthday is February 21st. So if they start filming season 4 this summer she’ll only be 17. Assuming she has to be 18 to have a kiss scene with Aiden that means they won’t do that scene next season and will have to come up with something else to make Lysa jealous.

64. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

This is not the books. This is a TV show. They are stretching out the book over 2 seasons. Events will not take place exactly as they appear in the books. Tyrion and Sansa’s wedding happens fairly early in the book, yet it won’t be happening until episode 8 of s3. The finale of season 4 will most likely have Tyrion’s escape where he kills Tywin and Shae. Having his trial last an entire season is not going to happen.

65. Qw3rtz
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Zack,

66. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus,

67. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Jentario: I’m not saying it WILL happen, only that it SHOULD.

Those were your words Jetario. The PW will not be in season 3 as most people have obviously stated. That makes very little sense to begin with. Having the PW without key players like Penny and the Red Viper being cast? Having the PW when u need to spend a considerable amount of time closing character arcs(Arya and the Hound at the inn of the crossroads) , Jon warning the nights watch, Bran and the Reeds meeting Sam, RW aftermath, RW mourning, Wrapping up Danys story, etc.

Please stop. The PW in season 3 episode 10 makes zero sense

68. TheAnchoress
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens,

Oh lord, I’d forgotten all about Penny. Lots to keep Nina Gold busy this break…

This is excellent. I think the new short promo should just be Gillan in costume looking dead into the camera and saying, “I have a ship.” Smash cut to title card. Glad to hear everyone’s so confident for a fourth season.

After what’s set up to happen this series, we’d be worse than the Browncoats (which is to say better) hounding HBO for a renewal.

69. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Qw3rtz: Zack, AFFC/ADWD contains a lot of stuff that can (and should) be cut in a TV adaptation. I am sure you can adapt both books (up to the point where they converge) in a single season.

You can cut a ton and still have plenty left for two seasons worth, those are some hefty tomes (particularly Dance). I think you’re underestimating just how much meaty material there is. I say this having just finished a reread of Feast and about halfway through Dance.

But I do think some of the Iron Islands material will make it into season 4 (as the Kingsmoot actually occurs during events of Storm of Swords, so it makes sense). And depending on whether or not GRRM finishes Winds of Winter by then I think it likely some material from that book will make it into the Feast/Dance seasons, particularly since he said he didn’t want to end Dance where he did but they were trying to get the book out.

70. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: Tenesmus, D&D do not alter the major events from the books. They never have and they never will.The PW will happen exactly as it did in the book.

I think Talisa and Qarth disagree.

71. Al Swearengen
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I like Aiden Gillen alot but for some reason his performance dipped in season 2, he almost seemed to morph into panto mode. Hopefully he’ll be back to his best in season 3.

Oh and Bane has a question for Aiden ” Well perhaps he’s wondering why you would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane ? “

72. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

I must have missed where either of these were big events. By big events I mean the RW,PW,Ned’s beheading,Viserys’ golden crown,Tywin and Shae’s deaths,Dany freeing the slaves, and Dany walking into the pyre and emerging with three dragons. This show, no matter it’s faults, does the big events of ASOIAF correctly.

73. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

I thought he was solid in 1 and 2. Weak in 3 and 4. Good in 5 and 6 and great in 10. He must have been sick in 3 and 4 or something. His voice was off.

74. Jacarb
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

It’s just silly to think the show will lose viewers by not immediately responding to “good guy” deaths with “bad guy” deaths. They’re dealing with a viewership that would agree the best Star Wars is the one that ends most badly, is enthralled by Walter White, and stayed around after Baelor. Are Patriots and Falcons fans going to boycott watching the Superbowl?

My bet is still that this season will end with Cat coming back. It fits the chronology of the story (remember that it happens off-page in the book), would be in line the with the show’s habit of ending seasons on fantastical game changers, and would give hardcore Stark fans a modicum of an emotional refund. Plus, the episode can start with confirmation that Arya’s a warg, too, when she sees Cat’s body through Nymeria.

Joffrey’s death may only be three chapters after the Red Wedding, but a ton happens in there. The show is going to have to unpack it for TV viewers, not because they’re dumb, but because they can’t just go back and reread a crazy sequence or slow down during an exposition/info dump.

75. The Anchoress
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Jacarb,

Word. Agree with you on where they’ll end it. The balance of that episode will be, I imagine, taken up with the doings on the Wall and a bit of Lannister and Frey family dysfunction, but ends pulling a LOST, with Cat’s eyes’ opening. It’s too much a dangling fruit for their Cliffhanger killer visual to end the season, and a TV series being a visual medium, they do need to show her coming back.

76. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

The Anchoress,

I hope Lady Stoneheart isn’t revealed until the end of season 4. It would be so much better that way. Reviving her just 1 episode after her death is too soon. And I hope it is handled the same way as it was in the book. I don’t want to see Beric giving her the kiss of life. I want the reveal to happen right as the Brotherhood is about to hang one of the Freys.

77. Ser Pounce-a-Lot
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

As far as the issue of “giving the audience a win” goes, PW could be season 3, and would make a lot of sense story-wise, but I don’t expect it. the reveal of UC (or LS, if you prefer) would be terrible, completely undermining the emotional impact of what precedes it. IMHO.

78. Zack
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Agree. Loved that reveal in the book. Should be fantastic onscreen

79. Darquemode
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Jacarb,

That could bean interesting twst…
    I’m not sure that will be the end shot, but it would provide some small feelgoodery for Stark fans.

If the RW is in Episode 9 as expected I would think it will take much of the screen time in the episode especially if they also insert Arya and The Hound in the tent chaos to the episode. That leaves the climax at The Wall and the free people of Yunkai chanting “Mhysa” to Dany for Episode 10. In my mind that scene with Dany is the perfect final scene of the season. It’s such an uplifting moment even for people who are not Daenrys’ biggest fans like myself.

In regards to finding unCat….
    I personally liked it not happening so soon after the RW as I read the books. I liked the surprise of finding out she is “alive” at a later time. It had more impact since I did not see it coming because her death was not fresh in my mind. It wil lbe interesting to see how they play it out on screen…

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Agreed. My thoughts exactly.

80. Qw3rtz
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens,

On a little sidenote: I don’t think the scene at the inn will happen. I assume that Sandor will get injured during the turmoil at Riverrun and will spend episode 10 slowly dying.

81. Qw3rtz
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I would prefer if they moved Brienne’s story from AFFC forward to S4 and reveal UnCat that way.

82. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

If they decide to keep the burning of the leaches where Stannis names the three usurpers then I think a possible final scene could be one where Melisandre is bragging to Stannis about it working, but Davos interrupts and points out that only two kings have died, not the three she promised. The camera could zoom to Melisandre’s as she gives Davos a wry smile. The screen then cuts to black with some foreboding music playing.

83. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Qw3rtz,

I don’t see that happening. She will likely start off on her journey at some point in s4, but I see her final scene being with Jaime as he sends her off.

84. Kevin
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Remember that when you come to play the game.

85. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Jacarb,

This woman has proposed that ending on several threads regarding the ending of S3, so am glad that you agree! It would be a stunning visual, and show that the era of the Starks is not truly over. Here’s to UnCat!

86. sunspear
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Okay, where are people getting that the PW was only three chapters after the RW? I have my book with me, and it was at least 6, 9 if you count Arya’s chapter and the two from Tyrion and Sansa before the ceremony.

Also, the last shot of the season should be Dany riding on a horse, with a massive army at her back.

87. jkb
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Jacarb:

ye i don’t understand that either tbh.

there’ll be whines and threats and stuff but nobody’s gonna stop watching. once you’re hooked you’re hooked, there is no coming back and you know it ;p

88. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

My thoughts exactly. PW is a mistery setter (who killed Joff?); my guess it will happen in ep 2 or 3 in S4. RW is a an ending, in so many ways. and yes UnCat as season ending (S3).

Yes PW, is close to the RW, but is also close to ASoS ending… Plus many things happen between the two weddings, which can not be filled in one, even extended, episode..

UnCat as season ending – we had dragons, we had WW, now we have resurrections; I believe it follows the trend. Since PW is not happening, to please the Stark fans, they will show her. I find it a great finale, with Arya (Nymeria) finding her, and Beric ‘kissing her’. That moment alone would be extraordinary!

89. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

AdrianAegon,

It would be even more extraordinary if it didn’t happen the very episode after she was killed. And it would be a bigger ‘OMG!’ moment if it is the final scene of s4 and happens as it did in the book. The reveal of Stoneheart should come as a shock to the Frey that is about to be hanged, as well as the audience. Showing Beric giving her the kiss of life totally removes the shock value.

90. sunspear
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I envisioned them changing it so that instead of Nymeria finding Catelyn’s dead body in the river, Arya finds it herself in the season four premiere.

91. Jack
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

To everyone saying Sophie will be 18 when they film the kiss- no, she won’t be. She will be 18 when it airs, but 17 when they film it this summer.

92. Alan
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

1. Why do people think it would be illegal to have Sophie Turner kiss before she turns 18? It’s nudity that would be illegal, unless Ireland’s laws are wildly different than here in the States.

2. They absolutely do not need to follow the RW with the PW for some “hope” for the fanbase. People like unhappy endings, and they will get enough silver lining from Dany and Jon’s storylines (everyone not at the Twins, basically). Arya will get away as well and Bran won’t be unhappy. Brienne and Jaime will end positively, too.

3. I don’t think the PW is in this season. Not because it couldn’t be; it could. But because of pacing. They did two seasons to let it breathe, and I think they want the RW to be THE scene. Dany or Jon will be the end of season 10, I think, not the PW. But it’s not impossible, as some people say as well. The RV and Penny don’t need to be there.

4. Are there still people out there who think it’s not getting renewed? Who needs an announcement. It’s getting renewed.

93. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Ta hell with Penny, they didn’t cast Mace Tyrell. No Mace, no PW. Are people going to claim the Lord of High Garden and father of the bride isn’t necessary?

94. Clare
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Sean T. Collins: Lena Headey was pretty unequivocal about it as well, on Twitter: “Thrones 4 doesn’t begin till July”

Iwan Rheon also said he was back to filming in July in a recent interview.

I hope the PW happens in the beginning or middle of season four, it would pack more of a punch that way (then again, so would having the PW right after the RW).

95. Mormegil
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I don’t think Jons S3 storyline will end all that happily. He’ll get back to Castle Black but I have a feeling Ygritte will have already died during his escape from Queenscrown.

96. denizreyiz
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Probabaly,Jon’s finale in the season 3:Battle of Castle Black and Ygritte’s death

97. MaryS-NJ
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Tenesmus:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

We don’t know how they may have structured the PW.It could be a small ceremony, rewritten as to needing to happen BEFORE the Dornish show up based on one of Tywin’s schemes.Only one thing has to happen at the PW, every other detail can be manipulated to fit the TV show.Penny, Red Viper, et al, are extraneous details that can be worked into the show later.Could even be as simple as Tyrion handing a particular person a cup of wine to toast thier good fortune at hearing the news of the RW; the PW may not even end up being a W after all is said and done.

You know, I wondered about that; Maybe the PW won’t be a W… Maybe Joff will be poisoned over a random dinner while he’s bragging about destroying the King in the North and the only wedding in season 4 will be the one between Maergery and Tommen. Sansa could be fleeing while chaos reins in Kings Landing and Tyrion is arrested. That would be cliffy and give a nice feeling of comeuppance. I doubt it, but I’d love to see the season end with the Lannisters having a taste of tragedy for all of what they’ve done.

98. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

MaryS-NJ,

Never. Going. To. Happen.

How can people believe that they would alter such an event? It’s not a budget concern. It’s not confusing to the audience. It’s perfect the way it was written.

99. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

last seasons first game of thrones trailer had Varys recite the riddle. I hope this years trailer has these lines: Jorah: “Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely… and Rhaegar died.” Would fit with the theme that honor does not guarantee safety. When u play the game if thrones u win or u die :).

100. MaryS-NJ
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    MaryS-NJ,

Never. Going. To. Happen.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I just want someone to off Joff like yesterday. I’m gonna keep hoping. Sue me.

101. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

MaryS-NJ,

Joffrey is a great villain. I for one will miss Jack Gleeson’s portrayal when he is gone. Ramsay is a sick and twisted dude, but he doesn’t have style like Joffrey.

Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Season 4 should be great, but I’m worried about what comes after that. That’s when we head into AFFC/ADWD territory, which is already problematic in terms of the story and the timeline. And then we’re into No-Man’s-Land… er, No-Books-Land.

103. GibsonExplorer
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Jentario,

Exactly. Reading over Aidan’s comment, he says for a certainty that he has a ship. How can he be referring to season 4 when it hasn’t even been confirmed yet? Meaning, he would have no reason to think that he would get a ship next year, unless D&D already wrote the script and have begun production on this very ship. He’s most certainly talking about a ship THIS season

104. mags giantsbabe
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

I don’t get the fuss over aFfC and aDwD as problematic. Dance is probably my second favourite book after aSoS. And like many people say, there’s a lot that can be streamlined and shortened.

105. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

I tend to agree. I just re-read AFFC/ADWD combined chronologically and found it much more enjoyable. I expect TWOW to be out by the time they are ready to film season 6, so they should be able to add stuff like the battles of Winterfell and Meereen, the Jaime/Brienne/Lady Stoneheart resolution, and perhaps the aftermath of the assassination/attempt at the Wall. There will be plenty of material available.

106. Darquemode
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

I liked ADwD a lot too, although I did find AFfC less enjoyable. Combining the two will take care of any pacing issues I have though so I am not worried in the least about a lack of enjoyable material.

The only concern I have is the amount of locations and various POVs going on at once. I think Season 2 suffered compared to Season 1 because of D&D not handling the expanding landscape as well as they handled the more streamlined and traditional A to B arcs of AGOT. The series did improve in a number of other aspects though, and I think having two more seasons under their belts before the even more expansive Seasons 5 and 6 should hopefully take care of those learning curve issues for D&D.

107. Dave
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Dana,

Petyr was sent by the council/Tywin to woo Lysa at the Eyrie. Ultimately he doesn’t go, he waits near the city and sneaks back in a boat to pick up Sansa, but he’s also not at Joffrey’s wedding so the show could easily send him to the Eyrie, woo Lysa in S3 and tell her he’s going to get his daughter (or something) and come pick up Sansa in S4. I don’t see Kate Dickey as a guaranteed huge deviation from the plot, her role could be minor.

108. Jentario
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens: “Seriously people, get your shit together, of course the PW is going to be this season:”

Please stop. The PW in season 3 episode 10 makes zero sense

Sorry about that, avoid that line. But again, I’m saying that it should, not that it will.

109. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

I don’t know why but this whole potential WicNet civil war of Pro PW in season 3 and Anti-PW in season 3 is quite exciting. It’ll be fun in the episode posts to pick up the clues in support of both theories and for the massive gloating and crow eating that is to follow.
    Bring on the Civil War!

110. Eos
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    MaryS-NJ,

Joffrey is a great villain. I for one will miss Jack Gleeson’s portrayal when he is gone. Ramsay is a sick and twisted dude, buthe doesn’t have style like Joffrey.

Agreed. I’m perfectly happy for keeping him around for a while. Same goes for Tywin (tho not in the villain category).

111. Alan
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 1:50 am | Permalink

Mormegil:
    Alan,

Fair enough. Though I still think there’s more than enough.

112. Matthew Jam
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 2:26 am | Permalink

I love the idea of the Lady Stoneheart awakening as an end of season reveal. And I do think we might have a bit of a rush at the end of the season. One thing though–Joffrey’s marriage to Margaery is mentioned at the end of season two, which is a strange thing for them to have done if the actual marriage doesn’t happen in season three. I guess they could just show a lot of roadblocks to the marriage, though.

Also–the three leeches. It would be poetic to have three king’s deaths (and three marriages) in the third season.

113. The White Raven
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Hello! Long time lurker and first time poster here!
    I hope the PW’s not in Season 3. I feel it would be a little anti-climatic after the RW. But who knows, D&D might make it work.
    One of the things that hit me the most when I was reading ASoS was the leech-burning. Honestly, it was quite creepy and it made me believe Melisandre after doubting her for quite a while. That scene definitely deserves a place in the show.

On a side note, maybe Davos was too angry with Mel for that and went off for a break. ;)

114. Jentario
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:40 am | Permalink

AdrianAegon:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

Having UnCat as the season ender would be dumb. Before her death even sinks in, she’s revealed to be alive? No. I understand the need to have UnCat and RW in the same season but tough luck, RW is in episode 9.

Now, to answer others:

As for viewers leaving, as I’ve said before- RW is different. You aren’t just killing one man here (like Ned or your Star Wars example), you are killing off A WHOLE FACTION. This will crush the hopes of so many viewers to dust and then throw it in the toilet. If the season ends with RW, some people might not feel the need to come back. The good guys lost and majorly so, they’re not coming back. No “Mysha” will make up for it and no UnCat will make up for it (again, it would be a horrible choice to bring her back in the same chapter she was mourned- it defeats the purpose of the scene). The viewers will want blood. Joffrey will make up for that.

As for it not being 3 chapters later: my bad, it’s 5 chapters later and my point still stands about half the episode being devoted to post-RW scenes and another half to PW.

Now, the whole Penny thing: she doesn’t need to be there. They can easily use ahelmet wielding stunt dwarf and say its her later (look at Berric which is also an example) or they could just NOT HAVE HER. They can easily say she did her shows in Essos when her brother was taken. She doesn’t really need to be there.

Also, this is just my opinion though, PW would be a perfect season ender. Season 4 would start fresh and new, with new characters and new sets and a clean slate in terms of the War of Five Kings. This is by far the best place to stop season 3 without having season 4 in mind and doesn’t take much away from season 4 (if you ask me). If I was tasked with writing the season, I’d put S&T’s wedding at episode 6, the RW at episode 8 and PW at episode 10 but I guess it’s too late for that.

115. Ser Pounce-a-Lot
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

We already know the big event is in e9, the fact of which makes it inherently less surprising. but everyone assumes it will END the episode, and if it got thrown into the beginning it could still truly shock the uninitiated. Non-readers would see them making battle plans and expect something big and then BAM all hell breaks loose. and of course I’m also suggesting this because they could still have more than a full episode’s time before the NEXT big event. just sayin.

116. jkb
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Jentario:
    As for viewers leaving, as I’ve said before RW is different. You aren’t just killing one man here (like Ned or your Star Wars example), you are killing off A WHOLE FACTION. This will crush the hopes of so many viewers to dust and then throw it in the toilet. If the season ends with RW, some people might not feel the need to come back. The good guys lost and majorly so, they’re not coming back. No “Mysha” will make up for it and no UnCat will make up for it (again, it would be a horrible choice to bring her back in the same chapter she was mourned- it defeats the purpose of the scene). The viewers will want blood. Joffrey will make up for that.

I totally disagree. This ain’t Jersey Shore. I like to believe people who like GoT are a bit above this instant gratification nonsense. PW at the beginning of S4 would be much better ‘WTF?!?!?!?’ moment imo. I guess we’ll see ;p

117. Darquemode
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

jkb,

I guess count me as one of those.

Honestly I was not in any way negatively affected by the RW when I read the books the first time. I found it incredible that GRRM had the nerve to write the RW massacre and it made me want to read more. I may be in a small minority that feels that way….

Personally I think the RW provides closure to the King’s Landing arc since I look at the first part of the book as not being about Joffrey so much as the Tyrells trying to outmanuever Tywin in a power-grab and Sansa’s impending escape via marriage (or Ser Dontos). Once the RW occurs (combined with Tyrion marrying Sansa) Tywin seemingly has outplayed the Tyrells and the next part of the story begins. I think that view is reinforced by the casting of Diana Rigg in what I assume will be a larger Queen of Thorns role.

I can see why some think the PW is a perfect conclusion to the Season 3 KL arc, but I find it a more perfect incendiary event to set off Season 4. It sets the table for the season and the rest of the season is all about the fall out.

118. Hunter
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Manny:
    Kevin,

They’re polar opposites, personality wise. Actually martial wise Loras claims they’re opposites as well. I dont see how/why they would do this. Also I elaborated on why Garlan is super important but I don’t know how to do spoilers from my phone. What’s the actual tag?

Posted January 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Hunter,

Wrap your spoilery text in b tags, like so:

<b>Spoilers go here!</b>

120. Hunter
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks.

121. WildSeed
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Hunter:
    Thanks.

I don’t remember him much, other than him being the middle son of Mace
    Tyrell, thus Loras’s brother. However it was my opinion that Olenna Tyrell
    poisoned Joffrey, with some devious arrangement and/or knowledge via
    Littlefinger. If Garlan was at the wedding, and he may have been, his
    presence was overshadowed by the fancy food menu, and the drama taking
    place.

122. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Garlan was seated right next to Tyrion at the wedding. He is one of the few to give Tyrion credit for the victory in the Battle of the Blackwater. He is also the guy who wore Renly’s armor in the books.

123. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Hunter: Thanks.If you read the PW a few times it’s pretty clear Jeoffrey was poisoned by Garlan. I don’t see how they that revelation could be attributed to Loras given the predicament he finds himself in (though admittedly that is debatable).

I don’t think it’s that clear, as the QoT was right there as well, and she’s the one who “fixed” Sansa’s hairnet, so adding the extra step of her passing the poison off to Garlan seems unnecessary.

124. WildSeed
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

ah, yes, I vaguely recall, and you are indeed correct of his physical placement.
    I’m still unsure if he had a hand in the poisoning. However it would
    not be unlikely for lady Olenna to have shared her intentions with a select
    few. Even readers , at this point with GRRM’s writings, are learning details
    with each new volume or through Littlefinger’s machinations.

125. Hunter
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Read the PW again. Then read it again. Then a third time. For real yo, Garlan poisoned the shit out if Jeoffrey. Olenna and LF hatched the plan, yes, but Garlan was the button man. Whether or not they can fold his role into Loras’ depends on three things: 1) if Loras is indeed burned and dying or if that is just misdirection and; 2) if Garlan still has a greater role to play in re-taking the Shields (all signs point to yes; there’s some very specific exposition on what a badass he is) and 3) if who poisoned Jeoffrey is moot and never meant to be revealed; we know that Olenna and LF were the architects and that’s enough so far as GRRM is concerned.

The more I think about it the more I agree that they could combine he two roles though. Just depends on a few factors.

126. WildSeed
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Hunter,

I’ve only read the books once :D , but to your credit I’m considering the scenario
    and future events that may evolve from his participation . Nice !

127. Hunter
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

WildSeed:
    Hunter,

Right on dude. Expand yo mind.

Also, in completely unrelated but awesome news: JJ Abrams is directing SW 7. Fuck yeah.

and future events that may evolve from his participation . Nice !

128. WildSeed
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Mind is blown, love the implications of further developments. JJ Abrams
    is good news :D

129. Genevosey
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Duff Man,

I see you made the nobody cares statement of the year here.

130. Arya Dunyett
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Having the RW, the PW, and Sansa’s and Tyrion’s wedding in the same season is nuptial overload. They are all momentous occasions and deserve to be shown with standard Westeros mayhem separating them, to give them their due.

The audience needs time to catch its collective breath.

And how boring would this be for the extras? “What scene is this we’re shooting today?” “Oh, you know. Another wedding. Remember to look happy. It’s a joyous occasion and the large flask I’ve hidden in my smallclothes is sure to bring me joy.”

131. Paul
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Jentario: Seriously people, get your shit together, of course the PW is going to be this season:

‘I’m not saying it WILL happen, only that it SHOULD.’

You need to make your mind up about which completely wrong and daft statement you mean then……..

132. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Paul,

Yeah I’m looking forward to seeing this great, omniscient prognosticator eat crow.

133. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

What if Joffrey was never poisoned and was just choked to death by the magnificent hand of karma?