Froggy returns with a new casting clue… SOLVED! It’s a bear!
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting.

7059164George R.R. Martin has surprised us today by dropping what appears to be a new casting clue on his Not A Blog. The message is brief but tagged with “Game of Thrones” and “HBO.” Late-breaking casting news for season 3, perhaps?

The very brief clue from Froggy in a post titled “It’s the Pits” reads:

Son of Homer.

Bart the Bear Jr. on the set of Thrones. Photo by @storkisthename

Bart the Bear Jr. on the set of Thrones. Photo by @storkisthename

Update: We’re waiting on word from GRRM, but it’s likely that this clue points toward the ‘casting’ of the bear used in a notable scene from A Storm of Swords. It’s good to confirm we’ll get that scene in season 3.

Update by HmR: GRRM has confirmed it in a comment to his post:

You guys are smarter than the average bear, plainly.

Yes, it’s BART THE BEAR.

Or rather, Bart the Second. The original Bart, that nine foot tall star of stage and screen, has departed for the great forest in the sky. So Jaime and Brienne get to play with his heir and namesake.

Here is a great video from a couple of years ago with Little Bart, or Bart The Second, with his trainer Doug Seus.

1. paylor
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I came up with Alan Stenson who played Telemachus, son of Oddesseus in the 1997 TV movie “The Oddessey.” I don’t know who he”d play though. I hope it’s not the Red Viper.
    Here is his bio: http://www.castingcallpro.com/uk/view.php?uid=276593

2. Aleksa
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

There’s a famous bear named Bart.

3. Villane
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

It’s Bart the acting bear. Or, more accurately Little Bart. Confirms Nicolai’s interview comment about filming a scene where he mentions an actor who can’t leave the US. Booya! Bear Pit Scene

4. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

It would make sense with the “pits” mention. Though this wouldn’t be the actual Bart the Bear, since that bear is dead. But maybe he is indeed talking about a bear.

5. paylor
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Funny. Good, I’m glad it wasn’t the Red Viper.

6. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

It’s definitely Bart the Bear.

Bart = son of homer

It’s the pits = Bear pit

Plus, it’s the character mentioned by Nikolaj in his interview that couldn’t leave LA.

Edit: Ninja’d

7. Viola
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I considered someone from Troy. Brenden Gleeson isn’t doing anything at the moment. Perhaps him? Not sure what role he’d play, but he’d certainly be a great addition to the cast.

8. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I posted over at GRRM’s blog to ask if it’s the bear. I think it’s very likely.

9. Lavignac
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Does posting the first warning of this news in the last thread qualify me for a FIRST FIRST FIRST comment? ;-)

I’m sure we’ll get lots of people wishing the “Pits” is about a miniature vest-sporting fat man…

And since the appearance of Arstan has been kept under wraps until now… well, this might just be a late season-3 casting! However, there have been pictures from others surrounding Daenerys (as opposed to Theon’s storyline), and one would have expected SB and AW to appear there…

10. David
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Hopefully the Cub of Bart is pretty intimidating. Any links of this bear’s pic?

Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

2 comments. Quickest clue solving ever?

12. Charles
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

They cast Nancy Cartwright?

13. Patchy Face
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Orlando Bloom? (big name). Actually think it’s the bear.

14. Aziraphale
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

I’m with this, but I did a little digging and there is a “Little Bart” out there that was named after the original Bart the Bear. Here’s his IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1212069/

Oops, sorry, props should go to Villane.

15. Elena
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Aleksa:
    There’s a famous bear named Bart.

Totally. I was going to say something deep and inspiring and spend lots of time researching serious actors who’d done made-for-tv rapresentation of Homeric Epics, but then I thought, it’s Bart.
    Go, laziness. Go, ignorance.

(Also: that’s me! Anyone remembers me? Sometimes I’m not dead!)

16. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

David:
    Hopefully the Cub of Bart is pretty intimidating.Any links of this bear’s pic?

No pics but the stats are intimidating!

8 foot 6! Holy shit that scene is going to be amazing!

17. Patchy Face
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Aziraphale,

Love his work!

18. M
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

THANK GOD.

19. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Here’s a picture of “Little Bart” aka Bart 2:

20. Abyss
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Wow, that was a quick one! Brings back the memory of the old days. :-)

21. Fire And Blood
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I remember you, Elena.

And yes, I think Bart is “Little Bart,” who has a very active career in Hollywood. And animal laws are just about the only thing that force productions like these to shoot in specific cities, so I think those of us who guessed “bear pit scene” when Nikolaj gave us that little tidbit were spot-on.

22. Coltaine777
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Here’s a picture of “Little Bart” aka Bart 2:

Nice !!!

23. GrzebykK
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Although Bart the Bear died in 2000, there’s a bear called Little Bart or Bart II raised by the same trainers: IMDb

24. Fire And Blood
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

P.S. I wasn’t aware of how much I missed Froggy until I saw him and did the happy-fists thing. Froggy!

25. un0
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

A bear!! A bear!!

26. Lavignac
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

33 different trained commands listed on the website… Must be impressive on-set.

27. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Looking around that website I posted above, I noticed they do wolves too. I wonder if that’s the current Stark pack? There are definitely some look alikes there haha

28. sherry
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Armand Arsanti who played in the Odyssey TV Movie about 15 years ago? He would be a great Doran Martell being of Greek heritage.

I’m just guessing. :D

29. Kate
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Bear pit scene, real bear! Can’t wait to see Gwen in that bit!

30. Sky Aero
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Little Bart! Just saw a vid of him with Brad Pitt! So great and impressive! Really looking forward to that scène!!!

31. Richard
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

They signed Nancy Cartwright?

32. Zack
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

God the bear pit scene is going to be one of my highlights from the season. Seeing this just makes me so happy. Can. Not. Wait!

Also I kind of geeked out a bit just seeing Froggy again. Even if this was one of the easier riddles, it’s still such fun.

33. Arkash
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Oh ! So glad it wont be an ugly CGIed bear !

34. Ninepenny
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I agree with everyone else. However, if that is the case then perhaps GRRM should have made the clue a little harder.

P.S. Froggy, how I have missed thee…

35. bon
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Wolf Shadow looks like Shaggydog is the series!!!

36. Remin
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink
  37. Gatorfisch
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

So excited about the Bear Pit!
    On a related note, my daughter and I were watching tv and the trailer for “Mama” came on. My daughter said, “The guy who plays Jaime on GOT is in this movie”. And I said, “yeah, he plays the dad and uncle”…when she heard that, she had this look of complete horror on her face. I quickly realized why, and said, “but not like he does in Game of Thrones!” She was like, “I was gonna say…” What has GRRM done to us?

38. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Funny how people think, GRRM says Homer, I thought ancient Greek Poet, didn’t even think of Homer Simpson till I read the comments, lol!

39. Luana
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Nice to have confirmation from GRRM that NCW was talking about filming the bear pit scene in LA!

40. David
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Aziraphale,

Yup. That is big enough.

41. Arkash
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Remin,

I thought there was the title of episode 3 in this picture Carice tweeted… but all I can make out is something like PicVers E. ^^

42. Watson
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Remin,

Nice grab. Doesn’t seem to tell us much other than that Ep. 3 has been edited, Melisandre is in it, and, if I’m reading the timestamp correctly, in the opening scene.

43. WildSeed
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Here’s a picture of “Little Bart” aka Bart 2:

Looks like ” Gentle Ben ” ( also a bear , but long dead, may he RIP ) :D

44. Heather
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Aegon the Conqueror,

me too, with circe and all…i really thought it was edric dane or bbplumm

45. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink
  46. PeterD
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens:
    A BEAR THERE WAS!

“I called for a knight!”
    “But you’re a bear!”
    This so reminds me of a certain scene in the Kings Landing godswood, and later at the entrance to Maegor’s. Perhaps in a future version it could be re-written as The Dog and his Little Bird.

47. Darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:26 am | Permalink

If it turns out that NCW really was filming with a bear recently I’m going to crack! XD

I was so kididng when I tossed that out there…. and then it seemed almost possible, but now this! It certainly fits the clue. Cool! XD

So nice toe Froggy back!
    I wish I would have been home when the clue released so I could ve played along.

48. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:38 am | Permalink

Oh dear! Please don’t hurt me, but…….who’s Froggy? 0.O

49. WildSeed
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

You’re not alone , but I was playing along……real quiet like….until more clues were
    dropped :D I didn’t pick up the cue about ” son of Homer ” either ):

50. Darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

Froggy is George RR Martin himself… or his mischievous alter ego mayhap.

On his website when he decides to give inside info and casting clues he always uses an icon that is a little frog in a bow tie seen at the top of the page.

51. WildSeed
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Darquemode,

Oh! thanks for that :D

52. Grijnwaald
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Darquemode,

Oh I see, thank you! :)

53. Mance Pants Rayder
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Oh great, we get a flashback to see how Tormund lost half his member!

Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:35 am | Permalink

I concur, it’s very likely that the bear scene is what needed to be shot in LA according to Nikolaj.

55. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:48 am | Permalink

A Conleth Hill interview people!! apparently the sun can rise from the west and set in the east!

“Yet for all his stage acclaim, TV work has been harder to come by… until HBO drama Game Of Thrones, which Hill describes as “a life-changing job”. But the drama of swords, snow and sauciness too almost slipped through Hill’s fingers like a greasy dagger. He was not originally seen for the part of the bald informer Lord Varys, known as the King’s Spider, but for another role entirely. Exactly which role, I don’t know, as Hill, like all good spymasters, keeps this information close to his chest.”

56. Alan Stenson
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:55 am | Permalink

How kind x
    paylor,

57. Darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 5:29 am | Permalink

AdrianAegon,

I read that. What other role do you htink?
    Littlefinger?

Honestly I’m just not familiar enough with his work that I can see him in too many roles outside of Varys and Littlefinger. He’s obviously perfectly cast as Varys….

58. Martin
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 5:36 am | Permalink

You guys are smarter than the average bear, plainly.

Yes, it’s BART THE BEAR.

Excellent! Nice to know one of my favourite scenes is included.

59. loco73
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Goddamit why has Bart Simpson been cast on GoT! Cartoon characters never translate well to live-action settings!

PS It appears as JJ Abrams will direct “Star Wars: Episode VII” (are they still gonna call them episodes) due in 2015…another candidate in the running was suppossedly Ben Afleck…

60. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Darquemode,

He’s a little to.. plump for LF. King Bob maybe? :))

Yeah I agree. He’s perfect for Varys. My fav from the show! Every time he comes into a scene, I get a smile on my face. He’s even better than book-Varys! I know, blasphemy right? :)) GoT friends ask me who is my fav character, Tyrion, Jon, Dany? When I say Varys, they stare at me. :)) I should be AdrianVarys, not AdrianAegon! :))

61. Arkash
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 8:01 am | Permalink

I’d guess the other role he read might have been Robert or Illyrio.

62. Rygar
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 8:18 am | Permalink

There is a company called Bart’s Whirlpool Tubs in PITTSburgh PA. Could this mean that they provided a basin for Jaime’s naked kraken?

63. TC
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 8:19 am | Permalink

So this is why Nikolas was in LA with “actor” that couldn’t travel…too funny. http://winteriscoming.net/2013/01/nikolaj-coster-waldau-on-jaime-lannisters-love-life-and-season-3/

64. Lord of Castamere
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I think that if any of you understands Italian and Politics of Italy he / she will find this Site hilarious !

Personally , I am Italian , so for me it is very funny !

65. Lord of Castamere
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 9:11 am | Permalink

BY THE WAY , GREAT NEWS !

I KNEW THAT WHAT NKW MEANT WAS CONNECTED TO THE PITS SCENE !

66. Arnel
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

A bear there was, a bear, A BEAR!!!!

67. the waif
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

i wonder wht if gwen stands tall than jr. bart…ha ha just saying

68. KG
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Arnel:
    A bear there was, a bear, A BEAR!!!!

And it’s certainly covered with hair!

69. Lundy
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

What’s there to make of? We’re going to have the bear scene, woot! Will Brienne be wearing a pink, frilly, undersized smock?

70. Jaison Biagini
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

glad it’s not gonna be a cgi bear!!

71. The Dragon Demands
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

He’s all black and brown, and covered in hair!

72. Ash
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

A bear a bear all black and brown and covered in hair!!!!

73. SourBillyTipton
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

Darquemode,

Froggy the Gremlin was a children’s tv show in the 40′s and 50′s. It featured a mischievous rubber frog. You can find youtube videos of the show.

The only reason I have heard of him is because he’s mentioned a lot in The Armageddon Rag(a novel by GRRM written in the 80′s).

74. Darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

SourBillyTipton,

HA!
    Good to know, thank you!!

I always wondered what the connection was.

75. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Lundy,

That question was from yesterday before the clue had been worked out.

76. Solar
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

great news! anyone else think it will be awesome if they are singing “the bear and the maiden fair” when brienne is fighting in the bear pit?

77. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Well a woman thinks that GRRM must not read this site very often, as many of us had worked this out about Bart2 in the NCW interview thread days ago! Still fun to see Froggy, it won’t be long now…

Ps…that looks like the back of Bart2′s trainer, forget his name but saw the documentary about their home and business of training Bart and when they brought Bart2 and his sister there as tiny abandoned/orphaned cubs from Alaska ( I think) and began to train them right away to work with them and bond with them. Very humane practices used FYI…

78. The Anchoress
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

THIS. So which band’s going to cover The Bear and the Maiden Fair? Flight of the Conchords would be fantastic if they weren’t so busy these days.

79. Tereeza777
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

We did mention Little Bart a couple of weeks ago and here’s a vid of the “little guy” in training –
    And because it’s OK to “fangirl” on a Friday night (and because I miss him) here’s another cool video –

80. Tereeza777
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Sorry – sorry – I posted the same video that HmR posted above. Anyway, Little Bart will be great! How much fun for NCW to get the chance to work with him!

81. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Tereeza777,

A woman believes that it must have been a unique experience for all working on the set for those scenes, and hope that we will get some behind the scenes info…Little Bart will certainly be huuuuuuuuuge!

82. Lazlo Woodbine
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

So many unforgettable moments coming up in this series! I was sure they’d cut the bear scene for logistical reasons. Glad it’s in!