So where’s the season three trailer?
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Speculation.

Game of Thrones S3 Teaser PosterWith nearly two months to go until season three of Game of Thrones debuts, the number one question that seems to be on fans’ minds these days is where is the trailer? We’ve had multiple behind-the-scenes videos and a boatload of photos, but all we’ve received in the trailer department are two short teasers devoid of any footage. So when can we expect a full trailer?

In past seasons, we had already received multiple trailers with footage from the show at this point in the year. In season one, there had been four(!) trailers released by the end of January 2011. Obviously, at that time, they were working to build hype going into the debut of the show. But even last year, we had two trailers that contained footage from the upcoming season two at this point in the game. So it’s fair to wonder why we haven’t seen a full trailer yet and when we can expect one.

As to the why, it seems that HBO is coordinating a slower build-up of promotional material than they have in the past. This is probably for a number of reasons, one being that the show is already quite popular and doesn’t need as many new promos to build buzz. Also, HBO has other shows that they would probably wish to spend marketing dollars on that actually could use some marketing. The other potential reason is that many fans have felt that past seasons had too many trailers released ahead of airing and HBO may have taken that criticism to heart and scaled back on the promos for this season. Lastly, this is a season that holds many surprises so it’s possible that HBO and producers David Benioff & D.B. Weiss want to preserve as many of those surprise as they can, so they feel putting out a bunch of trailers may give too much away.

So when can we expect to see the first real trailer for season three? The first full trailer for season two (the one that broke records) was actually released one year ago today. So if we look at it that way, HBO isn’t too far behind in the season three promos, assuming they release a full trailer in the next couple weeks. And I think that they will. It likely will not be this Sunday, as all of their new shows have been moved to Saturday this week, so they don’t have to compete with the Super Bowl.

(Some have speculated that they may run the trailer during the Super Bowl itself, to really maximize exposure. That seems highly unlikely for a couple reasons: 1) HBO has never aired an ad during the Super Bowl before, and 2) the cost required for even a 30 second ad is astronomical and the trailer would definitely be longer than 30 seconds.)

Could a new trailer air on Saturday then, ahead of new episodes of Girls and Enlightened? That is possible, although HBO generally likes to air these things in front of as many eyeballs as possible and I’m guessing that the move plus the fact that these episodes are already available on HBO Go and On Demand means that the ratings for Saturday’s airing will be pretty low.

I feel pretty certain that the trailer will air on a Sunday. And given that next Sunday will be Feb. 10 and we’ll only be seven weeks away from the premiere, I think there is a good chance it could be next week. If not next week, than almost certainly the week after. I don’t think there is any way HBO would want to be less than six weeks away from a new season of a show without having some sort of trailer. So the good news in all of this is that we likely only have to wait another couple weeks before we see the first full trailer for Game of Thrones season three!

1. Leer
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I like the way you’re first, boy.

2. The_Rabbit
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

My money is on this Sunday!

edit: sorry did not know about the football thing (silly european speaking).
    Doubt it would be on Saturday, though. Maybe best guess is next Sunday.

Though; I ve been looking for release dates of TB & BE last seasons trailers – they were both released much later than previous years.

3. zob
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Damn you, Brotherhood Without Preview! ;-)

4. MockingTheFlayedLion
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

A trailer would only get me even more excited (which is probably the point), but I don’t think I can handle any more hype.

5. Lexyvil
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Now that’s good news! A trailer will indeed keep me sane from all this wait,

6. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

A woman is in agreement with you WiC, it will be next Sunday, and/or the Sunday after AND probably every day or so thereafter to build up for the new season. AFTER the Superbowl. The Superbowl gets all Americans’ attention this Sunday, so it would be surprising to see it this Sunday. But then, if it would be surprising, maybe there COULD BE a spot DURING the Superbowl, but doubt it. Oh the waiting is the hardest part…

7. Ceci
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

(The next Sunday is the 3rd) I just hope they air a trailer soon!

8. WriteFasterGeorge
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Theyre probably just trying to build the hype for this season by forcing everyone to wait longer

9. king of the North
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Like winter….the trailer is coming.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Ceci, this Sunday is the 3rd, next Sunday is the 10th. At least, that’s the way I like to refer to days of the week.

11. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

king of the North,

Ah, but winter is HERE in the North!

12. Matt
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Shit is the Superbowl this Sunday? (I’m currently out the country…)

13. Joan Català
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Maybe they could air a small preview of the trailer at the Superbowl, ahead of the full trailer the following sunday.

14. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

15. ibgraham
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Perhaps there is a lot more CGI work this season which is slowing production down. Could be a reason they haven’t done a trailer yet because I would have expected to see one by now. This is the big season. Just a thought.

16. Mirri Maz
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I think late February, for their regular shows they ramp up the promo around a month before and Game of Thrones doesn’t require the same amount of promo it needed before . Probably before Parade’s End which premiers on the 26th of February.

17. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

So, this Superbowl thing is for you americans, what is the UEFA Champions League final for us europeans?

I will need to see a shrink or something, if a trailer is not shown this week… honestly, something! even 1 minute will keep me sane…. please HBO, please.

18. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

ibgraham,

A very good thought, since the Others/White Walkers are very important in the plot henceforth. Wouldn’t they have some extra footage of the attacking White Walkers from last episode that could be used as trailer fodder? A woman is also just thinking out loud, but they must be pushing that angle of danger from the extreme north this season, it would make sense in view of the last thing we saw last season, no? And, as you said, this would be more CGI intensive than previous seasons IF that is so.

19. dizzy
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

AdrianAegon,

The Super Bowl is about as close to a national holiday without actually being a holiday as you can get.

20. Ioco73
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I for one don’t mind that much not having a trailer just yet. I liked the teaser that they released a few weeks ago. My feeling is that we’ll see one soon enough. The Season Two DVD/Blue-ray set is coming out on February 19th, a few weeks later the HBO-tie in edition of “A Storm Of Swords” will be released in trade and mass paperback, as well as the mass paperback edition of “A Dance With Dragons”. So I think that the show will have a lot of publicity that way also. The show is established and by now I guess (hopefully ) HBO already know they’ve got a winner on their hands, so maybe that explains them not rushing as before with trailers galore.

Having said that, I do believe that trailers can still prove useful at this time, not only for those of us who are already fans of the show, but to attract new viewers as well. It can’t ever hurt to increase your audience!

PS I would like to know what the budget for Season Two and Season Three was. Remember a ballooning budget is always a concern. Besides, now that “True Blood” is probably entering either its last season or seasons and “Boardwalk Empire” its fourth, I am sure HBO is already looking to develop its next crop of shows and miniseries. Last I heard Tom Hanks’s company Playtone was developing a miniseries based on Neil Gayman’s fantabulous novel “American God’s and there was talk of even trying to make a series based on Stephen King’s seminal saga “The Dark Tower”, now that the movie or movies have been in development hell for so long without any concrete results!

21. Darquemode
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I may be in the minority, but the Season 3 trailer is not as interesting to me as the various supplemental videos like character featurettes, notes from the set etc…. The trailers are usually awesome and get me pumped of course, but I get just as much from the other supplemental videos if not more.

They often have as much footage and I love the insight into the process. One will usually see any footage in a trailer as the season progresses. The supplemental video footage can be outtakes or unedited footage, or material that will not be seen anywhere else with the possible exception of BD/ DVD sets released a year later.

That said, I’m excited for ANY new promotional videos for Game of Thrones!

22. Shawn Cantu
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I’m glad WiC finally brought this up. For those of us not in the BwoP, it’s been driving me crazy.

23. Taylor
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

No offense but this is a pretty speculative article with very little in the way of info.

You could have ended your piece with…”If they don’t release it the week of Feb.10 it’ll be the week after that or the week after that or the week after that.”

Give us one good trailer. That’s all we need and all they need to access the audience they want at this time of year. Expect a bigger marketing push during the run of the show.

24. Darquemode
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Ioco73,

There will be a new Hanks/Spielberg mini-series set in WWII like Band of Brothers and The Pacific, but this time about the battle of the skies based on the book ‘Masters of the Air’ by Donald Miller.

Not a true series, but I’m sure it will be brilliant!

Oddly, one of the shows I have seen heavily advertised on HBO is the Cinemax drama Banshee. Maybe since it’s Alan Ball’s production company and they want to stay in good with him? Of course Cinemax is operated by HBO, but I rearely see cross-advertisement like this and especially not on this level!

25. Omar Brown
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Well, since there is still filming going on in Iceland and the additional scene shot in the US with the bear, maybe they waited for these to be done to add them in the preview?

26. Joan Català
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

While I’m already way too excited for the return of Hanks/Spielberg, I hope it doesn’t cause a conflict budget-wise with Game of Thrones. Band of Brothers and The Pacific were both over $150m, and Game of Thrones has a limited budget as it is. I believe it was around $60m for season 1?

Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer, that would be pretty cool, but a 30-second spot during the Super Bowl is going for $4 million, a 60-90 second spot is probably double that. I’d much rather them spend $8 million on the show itself and not a commercial.

ibgraham, that is also a possibility. Although they’ve generally avoided showing any scenes with CGI in their trailers.

Taylor, that’s why I put in the ‘Speculation’ category!

Omar Brown, they aren’t filming in Iceland currently. They wrapped that up back in early December. The bear scene was shot a couple weeks ago but probably needs a good bit of CGI, so likely won’t be in any trailers.

28. DavidBc
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I think the staggered film schedule that they adopted this year really had an impact on this trailer…

They probably haven’t finished POST on a lot of certain characters footage— and therefore it is delaying a trailer.

29. Omar Brown
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

@WIC: I stand corrected, well I am out of excuses!

30. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I wonder what the promotional image is going to be:

Season 1: Solemn Ned on the Iron Throne (awesome)
    Season 2: A dirty hand holds the crown up in flames (Me not likey)

Season 3: ?????

I could see the 3-eyed crow being the main image.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? Without being spoilery

31. Bannerless Bro
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I just want to see Riverrun <:3

32. Nezzer
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak:
    Iwonder what the promotional image is going to be:

Season 1: Solemn Ned on the Iron Throne (awesome)
    Season 2:A dirty hand holds the crown up in flames (Me not likey)

Season 3: ?????

I could see the 3-eyed crow being the main image.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?Without being spoilery

I don’t know, but I’d love if it was an ice sword and a flaming sword clashing.

33. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

SerCountryFriedSteak,

Rain, lots of rain and a hand holding a flaming sword that keeps on burning despite the weather.

The Great War will fought between life and death, light and darkness…ice and fire.

But first the rain must fall.

34. Kevin
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

So within the next 2-3 weeks? ok, I can handle that

35. Meghan
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer: It would be amazing if HBO decided to spend their whole marketing campaign this year on a single bad-ass trailer that airs during the Super-Bowl.Imagine the amazement of the GoT virgin crowd, dragons, bears, murder and other epic-ness in a trailer that makes people be like “wow!, what movie is this?”, then BAM! HBO bitches.The trailer is inevitably going to be a bigger hit online no matter what day they release it anyway, so I say, relase it now! :)

36. The mighty hodor
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Lol, it would be funny if hbo listened to fans about there being too many trailers.

We only have ourselves to blame!

37. Nezzer
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Meghan: I agree with this wholeheartedly! It’s all about recruiting new fans. People don’t know what they’re missing! An exciting spot during the Super Bowl would definitely do the trick.

I disagree. It’s not worth it. They’d have to spend millions of dollars on a single ad. If they had a LOTR-like budget I’d agree with a million-dollar ad, but with this limited budget, they should use every penny they’ve got on production.

Joshua Taylor:
    Nezzer,

SerCountryFriedSteak,

But first the rain must fall.

Oh yeah, that would be awesome =D

38. Renee
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Most will be watching the half time and the commercials between the game (Super Bowl Sunday) which are known for the humor and outrageousness. Not many people will be watching HBO that Sunday night. Unless GoT spends the huge advertising dollars for a spot during the game, I think it will be the following Sunday when regular viewing will be on..networks in the USA usually show movies on other channels during the Super Bowl. I for one would love a really cool GoT trailer during the game.

39. Perkins
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I think HBO could cough up some cash for a superbowl ad and it would give the show the maximum amount of exopsure possible for one single airing. I will take anything though, friday, saturday, sunday… any airing. por favor.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Taylor:

None taken. It is indeed speculative.
    You must be a relatively new reader, welcome :) In the early days, such posts based on hunches and very little info were all that sustained our little fan community. This is a very old-school post ;)

41. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

“We’re starving, precioussssssss!
    Starving! Cruel HBO! It does not care if we be hungry! It does not care if we should die! Not like Master. Master cares. Master knows.”

42. Lazlo Woodbine
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

I would like to see one of them trailer thingies.

Trailer trailer trailer!

43. Isabelle
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: None taken. It is indeed speculative….In the early days, such posts based on hunches and very little info were all that sustained our little fan community. This is a very old-school post ;)

I’ve quite missed these sorts of posts–they reinforce that this is a site for fans BY fans. You’re just putting into writing what we’re all thinking so speculate away. :-)

44. Jutah the Juggler
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Presumably they’re still trying to figure out a way to keep people’s minds from literally blowing.

45. sam
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

With the fact in 3 hours time… it will be 60 days until the Premiere… It makes perfect sense for the trailer to appear!

46. Roopert
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

This is just a random thought but do you think it could premier Feb 10th and maybe show up a few places like the premiere of part 2 of this season of the Walking Dead? Similar fan base ….

47. JP Dayne
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

I call BS on almost every argument used by the blogger.
    As someone who worked on a local MTV, I can say that the cost to make a trailer is next to none.
    IMO, D&D and HBO are late and have other things to worry about ATM than a trailer.

48. Manny
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

I want a god-damned trailer damn you! Seven Hells!!!!!!!!! BASTARD!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

JP Dayne, ok, but I offered more reasons than just money… so why were the other reasons BS?

Also my point about allocating marketing dollars elsewhere wasn’t predicated on the assumption that a trailer is very expensive to make, just that HBO’s marketing department only has a finite amount of resources so they may have made a decision to devote more time and energy on promoting other shows, that could actually use the promotion.

50. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Hey, why don’t we all speculate on what’s going to be IN the next trailer, BUT NO SPOILERS? In other words, using only what we’ve seen in the last 2 seasons but giving NOTHING away if you’re read the book, who would YOU want to see? This woman would like to see:

-White Walkers chomping on some Night’s Watchmen’s arm or leg
    -NW fighting the White Walkers/Others
    -Jon Snow and Mance
    -More Brienne swordplay please!
    -Cersei bitch-slapping SOMEBODY, ANYBODY
    -Tyrion with Shay
    -Tywin schooling Joffrey (somebody has to right?)
    -Robb Stark and his queen

So, a woman would like to see some love, some war, and some conniving activity!

51. Arthur
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

When they do drop the 1st season 3 trailer.

If it is half as good as that ‘Seven Devils’ trailer last season, it will be well worth the wait. That season 2 trailer gave me goosebumps! I just watched it over and over again, the photography, the music… Everything was just magical.

52. Manny
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,

I really liked the hand holding the crown.
    I think the three-eyed crow would make a cool poster but more suited for like season 5/6 (or whenever Bran will meet the three-eyed crow)

I think the season 3 poster should be all steel and blood. Hands gripping a sword with red blood running down the handle, over the knuckles, dripping down onto the wrists.

There will be No Shelter from the Storm.

53. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Manny,

Ooooo, a woman LIKES your poster idea. How about since it’s Season 3, THREE arms (wearing house colors), THREE hands holding THREE BLOODY SWORDS???? Oooo, that would be so cool, and unarguably represent Season 3.

54. Nick_Scryer
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    When they do drop the 1st season 3 trailer.

If it is half as good as that ‘Seven Devils’ trailer last season, it will be well worth the wait.That season 2 trailer gave me goosebumps!I just watched it over and over again, the photography, the music… Everything was just magical.

I agree, that was fantastic. I must have watched that 50 times! Hope season 3′s is half as good.

55. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Manny,

Glad you liked it, IMO the hand holding up the crown was just lame. Ned on the Iron Throne was a great image which worked for the whole season. Understand that season 2 and on will be more diffuse, but Tyrion could have been been a good focal point for season 2. Or even the 5 Kings (though the audience wouldn’t have known 2 of them Stannis/Balon)

For Season 3, I think the 3-eyed crow by the Wall is a good image for season 3, but not great. Another inanimate object (swords) wouldn’t work. People respond to people. Ned on that throne was great.

Depending how the season plays out, you could have Joffrey with several “heroes” behind him with swords: Tyrion, Robb, Dany, Stannis, Jon, etc.

56. Zack
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I agree with their decision to not go overboard with footage from the season.I think the marketing for this year has been pretty solid for the most part, except for that strange teaser from a few weeks back.

But they’ll put out one or two short trailers for the season, surely, because they do have to build expectations. I agree with you that next Sunday seems most likely.

57. Scott Glennon
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

A man is enchanted by your Bravosi dialect. As for what I would like to see in a trailer…DRAGONS!

58. Omar Brown
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Agreed, as far and trailers go that one knocked it out of the park.

As someone else stated, making a trailer does not cost much financially, but posting it during the superbowl does.

Don’t they normally release the advertisers days before the game? No need to speculate if we know wheter HBO did or did not purchase any airtime.

59. Bgap
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

A high bar was set with the Seven Devil’s trailer from last year. They have to match or surpass that, without images or dialogue that reveals too much, and have some exceptional music that is appropriate to the world of GOT. Not an easy task!

A Superbowl ad would be phenomenal, but I can’t imagine anything more than a 30 second tease because of the price tag.

60. Arkash
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Rationally, I can understand why we still do not have a trailer : marketting-money spend on smaller shows, CGI, colorisation and editing still ago, timing not correct, too much spoilers in pictures… the guy in me working in the production understands… but the fan in me screams for one ! ^^

61. Burg0s
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

GOT is HBO’s new flagship. PREVIEW: SUPERBOWL SUNDAY – 1/2 Half or Halftime! why not get the most bang for your buck on your insane season 3? So much of a possible market in that audience and really worth the exposure.

62. Tereeza777
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Kevin:
    So within the next 2-3 weeks?ok, I can handle that

btw, my wife and I just planned a vacation for late March to Peru!we fly back in to Newark Airport (we live in Brooklyn) the morning of March 31, the day of the premiere.although, for some reason I can’t understand, she cares more about being back for Easter.pffff, women

Kevin,
    My boyfriend thinks that GoT should piggyback on the new Super Bowl 2013 commercial featuring Sports Illustrated Swim Suit model Kate Upton. He thinks the Announcer could say at 0.28: “New – Game of Thrones Season 3 – with ……. Icy Zombies, Fire-breathing Dragons, and some very Spicy Weddings!” At 0.41: “The Classic Game of Thrones just got a whole lot Hotter! GOT – Season 3 – NEW – at HBO!”
    As if that weren’t enough, he thinks that Kate Upton and fellow SSI model Brooklyn Decker should be cast as Jeyne and Jennelyn Fowler, aka “The Dazzling Daughters of Dorne”! Give me a break ……. pfffff, Men!! :)))))

63. GeekFurious
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

GoT generated the most revenue in home video sales for a television show in 2012. They don’t need to advertise during the Super Bowl. People will FIND the trailer whenever and wherever it is because there is great demand for it.

64. Ren Snow
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:

-White Walkers chomping on some Night’s Watchmen’s arm or leg
    -NW fighting the White Walkers/Others
    -Jon Snow and Mance
    -More Brienne swordplay please!
    -Cersei bitch-slapping SOMEBODY, ANYBODY
    -Tyrion with Shay
    -Tywin schooling Joffrey (somebody has to right?)
    -Robb Stark and his queen

So, a woman would like to see some love, some war, and some conniving activity!

White Walkers are not the same as Wights (Wights are the zombies) and Wights do not – so far – eat the flesh of the living.

65. Friend Of fire
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

I positively agree, but still look forward to the trailer whenever it comes

66. Lisa
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

You know how few shows have a trailer 60 days before a premier? Most shows wait until 2 weeks before to start showing anything. We’ve already had some behind the scences videos and we should be thankfully for them, because you’re not getting that with most other shows on television.

67. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Ren Snow,

A woman takes your point, but “chomping” is not the same as “eating” either. Chomping is more akin to “biting” as a method of attack. But whatevs.

68. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Scott Glennon,

This woman is pleased that you appreciate the style of her homeland. How could I have forgotten, DRAGONS are of course ESSENTIAL to satisfy our desires in the next trailer. YES! DRAGONS indeed! We must have DRAGONS!!!!!!! Some fire breathing would be cool too.

69. sam
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Could we possibly see a trailer in the next few hours?! just saying…. 60 days seems the perfect sum of days to post a trailer! as usually 60 days marks the official count down!

70. Patchy Face
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Sixty days out, people! Sixty. Days. Out.

71. GeekFurious
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Lisa:
    You know how few shows have a trailer 60 days before a premier? Most shows wait until 2 weeks before to start showing anything.We’ve already had some behind the scences videos and we should be thankfully for them, because you’re not getting that with most other shows on television.

Most shows start advertising at least 2 months in advance. But HBO has been advertising. They just haven’t put out a full-trailer. They could do that at any point. Their marketing department likely has some grand ideas what with this being their biggest money-maker right now.

72. argilac's antler
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:
    Ioco73,

Not a true series, but I’m sure it will be brilliant!

I remember seeing a lot of Strike Back ads on HBO at the time the show was new. I think they promoted it just as much as Banshee is being promoted now. Although Hunted got zip but a pilot upload to HBOGO. I guess they only do it for shows they’re really excited about.

73. ACVG
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

the behind the scenes videos have been great, but the value of the trailer is the ability to show us the “mood” of the season and show us characters in they’re element and scene.
    i cant wait, i was at the movies and i saw a trailer for a movie (forgot the movie) which used the seven devils song, i got gosebumps…

74. Al Swearengen
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I understand that GOT now has a loyal built-in fanbase but it still doesn’t excuse the fact that HBO and the people in charge of GOT have done an extremely poor job of promoting the third season. We’re what a couple months away from the premiere and we’ve still yet to see a legitimate trailer, it’s sheer laziness. Considering how popular The Walking Dead is and how AMC are breathing down their neck HBO can’t afford to stay silent.

But it’s ok HBO would rather waste money on promoting Girls because it’s hip and Lena Dunham is being showered with undeserved awards and hype.

75. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face:
    Sixty days out, people! Sixty. Days. Out.

It’s almost here.
    I can hardly wait!

76. Isabelle
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar: This woman would like to see:

-White Walkers chomping on some Night’s Watchmen’s arm or leg
    -NW fighting the White Walkers/Others
    -Jon Snow and Mance
    -More Brienne swordplay please!
    -Cersei bitch-slapping SOMEBODY, ANYBODY
    -Tyrion with Shay
    -Tywin schooling Joffrey (somebody has to right?)
    -Robb Stark and his queen

So, a woman would like to see some love, some war, and some conniving activity!

Love and war, eh? They must show us some Ygritte and Jon, then!

77. Darquemode
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler,

Ah, ok.
    I guess I did not notice the Strike Back roll out as much as Banshee since back then I was not comparing movie times to schedule slot times to see when there would be extra long periods of filler or promos. XD

I really do not expect to see any until the second week of Feburary (just a gut feeling), but the eager fan in me keeps checking the guide and peeking in anyway….

Last year most of the Thrones BTS videos played when there around 10 minutes between movies, some when there was about 6 to 8 minutes… and rarely with under 5 minutes if I recall. When there is under 5 minutes it was usually a trailer….Likewise now when there is a short intermission I’ve seen the date tease or the raven tease….

78. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

Wo ho Lady Isabelle, a woman is thinking that you are correct! Seeing some Jon and Ygritte would be awesome…just a couple of seconds, that’s all we need.

79. Arthur
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Off topic:

Anyone catch the season 4 premier of Spartacus last Friday? It was really good. Seems they uped their FX budget and the battles are on a much more massive scale and their action sequences were very good.

Although I dearly miss the original actor that played as Spartacus and am not a fan on the new one, I still watch the show and it will hold me off until GoT airs.

80. Jaratheon
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:

-White Walkers chomping on some Night’s Watchmen’s arm or leg
    -NW fighting the White Walkers/Others
    -Jon Snow and Mance
    -More Brienne swordplay please!
    -Cersei bitch-slapping SOMEBODY, ANYBODY
    -Tyrion with Shay
    -Tywin schooling Joffrey (somebody has to right?)
    -Robb Stark and his queen

So, a woman would like to see some love, some war, and some conniving activity!

No Stannis, no party!

81. Isabelle
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:
    Isabelle,

I’ll take a split second if it means a shot of those two! Cue a thousand sighs and one.

Lady Isabelle indeed…a girl could get used to that. A woman is too kind :-)

82. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Jaratheon,

Well of course this woman is more of a Stark loyalist, but a glimpse of Stannis, Davos, and/or Mel would be lovely too naturally! It’s so good to see some other “trailer wishes” today, a woman is not the only one daydreaming of what our Season 3 trailer will look like when it finally airs!

83. mags giantsbabe
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

I think it’s a smart move to make fans wait for the trailer. I get the feeling they are waiting to see how eager fans are for any footage and there was criticism last year for too many trailers (though I liked the themes). And yes, lots of spoilers and juicy scenes that need to be well-guarded.

And there is also the other logical reasons as well (CGI-work, editing, etc).

And I third Mrs H’ghar and Isabelle. Can’t wait to see Jon with Ygritte this season, though I doubt we’ll see much of that in the trailer. Maybe something speculative..?

Keep calm and wait for Game of Thrones season 3 trailer.

84. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen,

Al Swearengen:

I. F*CKING. LOVE. THIS.

85. Dave
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:41 am | Permalink

I bet we get a Kings Landing/Riverrun heavy trailer. Most of the stuff elsewhere either ended on big cliffhangers/possible deaths (Theon, Nights Watch/wights, Sandor, Davos) or have big surprises/decisions (Dany, Brienne/Jaime, Arya, Jon) early in the season. The second group will be shown obviously but I’d say pretty quick or ambiguously.

86. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:50 am | Permalink

I’d prefer that we get just one 2.5 – 3 minute ‘Seven Devils’ quality trailer, rather than a slew of shorter ones.

87. Ned
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 2:23 am | Permalink

HBO can have their cake and eat it too. Why doesn’t HBO air the first official Season 3 Trailer on Super Bowl Sunday, during halftime of the game? Think about it. Half of America is in front of their television sets during this game anyways. Why not send out a press release tomorrow telling everyone the trailer will debut at half time, on HBO. Any crazed GoT fan at a Super Bowl Party will demand the station be changed to HBO for 3-4 minutes, generating buzz and discussion across millions of homes in America, and it wouldn’t cost HBO a dime (aside from the basic costs of creating the trailer, something they half to do regardless). How are they NOT doing this?

88. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 2:53 am | Permalink

Ned,

A woman likes the way YOU think! Brilliant!

89. Lin Beifunk
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Count me in as one of those people who thinks we haven’t seen the first trailer because:

a) Here in the US, it’ll debut during the Super Bowl — many other fantasy/sci-fi franchises have their first promos on this date — or;
    b) The sheer amount of post-production required means that we won’t see a damn thing until early February.

I don’t think it’s anything too complicated, and I definitely don’t think HBO is running purely on word-of-mouth this time around — wouldn’t that be a first for HBO, considering all the hype they throw into the next blah season of True Blood or such? The very worst case scenario I can see about the promo is that Pixo’s running into some kind of CGI/lighting/whatever issue (such-and-such not coming out the intended way under the incoming deadline, etc) and that’s what’s holding the promo back. Wouldn’t explain why we can’t have some regular scenes with little-to-no effects, however.

Another possibility is that HBO has something huge intended — some kind of extended 5-minute Cloud Atlas-type trailer. But I don’t think that’s like them, either.

HBO: filled with hiiistory. And myyystery.

90. Alexandra
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I am dying to see a new ‘Seven Devils’ quality trailer but I would rather wait and have them put their absolute best into whatever they’re planning to release. I’d rather have one f*cking amazing trailer that leaves me breathless and chilled to the bone than 2-3 average trailers. It’s all about the impression. If the Super Bowl rumor IS true, that means I’ll have to sit through that damned game to watch the trailer. Blehhh. Oh well, Game of Thrones is worth it.

91. towerofjoy
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Jaratheon,

Haha Stannis is the life and soul of every party!

92. GeekFurious
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 4:34 am | Permalink

Al Swearengen:

You don’t understand how TV vs cable vs pay-cable marketing works… at all. Yet you seem very confident in your “analysis” about it.

93. Eleanor
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Kevin: So within the next 2-3 weeks? ok, I can handle thatbtw, my wife and I just planned a vacation for late March to Peru! we fly back in to Newark Airport (we live in Brooklyn) the morning of March 31, the day of the premiere. although, for some reason I can’t understand, she cares more about being back for Easter. pffff, women

My husband and I are taking a similar but worse-timed holiday! I will miss at least the first 2 eps.

94. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Arthur,

I’m more excited by the prospect that this may lead to a Caesar spin off series, historical in accuracy not withstanding.

95. Omar Brown
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Hmmm, don’t companies that buy Super Bowl airtime also tend to hype that fact?

“Be sure to catch our exclusive trailer for season 3 of Game Of Thrones during the super Bowl!!!”

The fact we have not heard this “pre-hype” does not bode well for its chances.

96. Drfunk
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Count me in on those who want a single movie quality trailer than several small ones (of which most using the same clips). I’m positive the marketing department of HBO had slotted the appropriate resources to pump out the hype. This show despite all of its accolades is “still growing” and I hardly doubt they’d sit back and hope more people sub based on word of mouth. So my guess is that it isn’t an issue of them wanting to promote other shows, I really do think they don’t have enough post production shots to give them a trailer. Think about it, we’ve already been told each episode will be longer by another 10min and we’re still constrained by 10 episodes. It’s not an issue of money but rather of time and my guess is that “awesome trailer” falls pretty low on their priority list.

On an entirely separate note, I’ve recently got friends who’ve never read ASOIAF to watch GOT. They enjoyed GOT immensely and yet one of the gripes I’ve heard from them is the fight scenes being a bit amateurish. There’s various ways to “jazz up” a fight scene, the bullet time slow motion fights of Spartacus would be a great example. This isn’t a disservice to Buster who prob works his butt off and is a legitimate medieval weapon master. I would like to see HBO go outside the box however when we go to the more exotic locales further east or even in Dorne and employ different fight choreographers. There’s a slew of great proven choreographers who can make some wicked sword fights. Unless you guys feel the choreography is fine?

97. zob
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Drfunk: the bullet time slow motion fights of Spartacus would be a great example.

Really?…

GOT goes for realism when it comes to the sword fights. I’m perfectly fine with that, personally.

Bullet time slow motion fights would really look out of place in GOT, IMO.

98. Hunter
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Using “bullet time slow mo” in GOT, or for that matter any kind of influence from ‘Spartacus,’ is too ridiculous to be a real suggestion. Have to be trolling.

99. ph2586
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

HBO if you are thinking of giving us only one trailer, please let the person who did ’7 devils’ last year do it….

100. spacechampion
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Off topic, but I found Craster’s Keep.

101. Alan
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

*Count me as someone who would find highly-stylized Zack Snyder-esque fight scenes out of place in Game of Thrones.

Luckily for me, it seems like it’s neither HBO nor D&D nor the directors’ style, so we won’t be getting it.

*As awesome as a Super Bowl trailer would be, I’d be slightly angry, in that I guarantee there will be places that money could have been better spent, like more dragons and direwolves.

*HBO is not in danger from the Walking Dead or AMC — in fact, I’d argue that TWD almost certainly helps GoT viewership, not hurts it. HBO is probably worried about Showtime and Homeland in particular, but more importantly…

*…the timing of a trailer will have absolutely no significant effect on HBO’s bottom line.

*Later timing makes sense. It’s Season 3. It’s established in pop culture. They aren’t building a buzz anymore; the trailer now is to remind people to watch.

102. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

So we need to understand every single detail about marketing between premium cable and regular cable to be able to pull together a thought about how HBO is actually slacking with putting out a trailer? No.

He’s making a good point. Last year we had a few real trailers by now, and when comparing the two seasons, this one should be hyped up way more than last year. When I say hyped up I mean a little something other than the actors and producers saying “this is the season we’ve been waiting for” on behind the scenes videos that, let’s face it, pretty much only us hardcore fans follow. We’re already going to park our asses on our living room couches once march 31st comes, it’s not us they need to convince to watch the show. It’s the people out there that still haven’t even seen GoT that need to see what they’re missing.

AMC is doing a great job pushing the promos for The Walking Dead, and they’ve been doing it since part 1 of season 3 ended. What was it, something like 3 trailers within two weeks of eachother this month? Thats how you hype a show. Almost everyone I know is talking about TWD returning, GoT not so much.

103. Krh240
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I think Superbowl Sunday is a real possibility. I could see why they wouldn’t, since ad time is so expensive, but I could definitely also see them doing it. And if they were going to do it, for maximum effect, I think they would not release any footage beforehand and have it be a surprise…

104. garyd
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Off topic but just watching a tv quiz in the UK called ‘the Chase’ and there was a question about Game of Thrones. The contestant answered correctly as well.

105. Drfunk
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

zob: Really?…

Bullet time slow motion fights would really look out of place in GOT, IMO.

I didn’t suggest “bullet time”, I said there’s got to be a way to jazz it up the way Spartacus did with its bullet time. You’re correct in that it would look odd in GOT. That said the fighting speed is rather slow and contrived, this has less to do with the choreography and more to do with the cast not having the experience. There’s many tricks to get out of this, first is the use of stunt doubles and smart camera angles to avoid their actual features. Or even speed up the fight to give it a realism.

Take away the “wires” to get rid of those gravity defying leaps, but just look at the speed of the attacks and you can really tell the difference. Of course, the main difference here is the actresses are very proficient in these weapons/choreography and I’m not saying it’ll translate perfectly here. That said even without “bullet time” you CAN choreograph beautiful realistic fight scenes that are at least on par with real life fighting speed. Just look at her mastery of the spear at the 1min mark and tell me that wouldn’t look at awesome with a certain spear master due for a big fight. Once again I’m not advocating “wire fu” for GOT, but rather sped up choreography and a different way to shoot the action scenes which would allow more experienced stunt doubles to perform more complicated maneuvers.

106. ACVG
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

the fighting did look a little slow, but i assumed that was because of the heavy armour they had on, which would also limit their range of attacks.
    the khal drogo fight scene where he rips (vocal chords?) out was pretty cool and it made sense that we wasnt as fast because he “wasnt even trying”

107. zob
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Drfunk,

OK, I think I understand your point. But your video isn’t really a great example, IMO.

Something like this, maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNYkCa1f24 (realistic feel + speed)

108. James Williams
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

they could always air the trailer just before or immediately after the super bowl…it would be a fraction of the cost…maybe strike a deal with the pregame show to announce once or twice that “stay tuned immediately after the game for the world premiere of the trailer for season 3 of Game of Thrones” then you’d get the exposure and you certainly wouldn’t be spending 4 mill per 30 seconds

109. Tom
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

ZERO footage of the Night’s Watch

110. Darquemode
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

zob,

I know some people love those cut-filled speed fighting scenes, but I prefer how GOT shoots their scenes honestly.

I quit watching Spartacus because of its silly fight scenes honestly…. I loathe scenes with extra cuts added to make it feel more manic than it is. It’s one thing to cut to show reactions, but to cut 2 or more times on any given stroke is just overkill IMO. It makes the fights seem unrealistic to me.

111. zob
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

Yup, I agree with you.

As I said:

112. Drfunk
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

Lol for some reason your comment reminded me of watching those silly Van Damne movies where they’d use the same split kick and show it in 4 different cuts with a different angles. I don’t like the style Spartacus uses as well, it’s just a way to cheat for the actors by slowing down their already slowed moves. That said there are plenty of great fight scenes that uses real time speed without any gimmicks. These however come with very experienced actors or very clever camera tricks to use great stunt doubles. This is also why I suggested we see these “other fighting styles” with the introduction of new areas.

As far as GoT being “realistic”, as much as I am a big fan of the series, it’s anything but realistic. You can clearly see the markers for each cut moves. Fight choreography is another form of dancing really, when you can see each “move count” and in some cases actors missing their mark by a full second it’s not even remotely “realistic”.

Considering the high production values on sets and costumes, this is one aspect of the show that really could use some improving. It’s one thing for a peasant to flail around like a nub, but characters “trained as a weapon master” such as a knight etc.. should be held to a higher standard. Even Syrio’s scene looked contrived and slow.

113. Darquemode
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

zob,

Meant to say I agree with you, but forgot. XD
    Ended up coming off as a criticism… ooops.

Drfunk,

OH I hate those movies too! XD

I can agree at times the GOT fights felt sluggish (Gregor v Sandor in particular)….

Luckily I have always looked at the fights as secondary to the storytelling and there are very few fights I actually look forward to for the fight itself. I like how they progress the story and affect characters more so I guess….

In a perfect world I would like the fights more fluid so you cannot see the marks like you mentioned, but I guess I would prefer them as is to being over-edited.

ETA:
    I could be wrong, but I think the main issue with the fight scenes is the lack of time they spend coordinating the scenes and the speed they film at overall. I think sometimes the pace is just too fast so the fight scenes suffer a bit….

114. AdrianAegon
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I am really sad that HBO aren’t doing the same aggresive promotion of GoT as last year. They GoT me last year in february!… Last year, almost, I left my TV on HBO, and it was airing this cool show, with a girl that had silver hair, and fierce warrior, and such a family the Stark were… and when Vyserys’s crowning came, I was hooked forever! These were reruns you see, and at the same time, I remember, there was this awesome trailer, with a bald, plump man telling a riddle… “three great man sit in a room: a king, a priest and a richman..”… even now, Varys’s voice I heard in that trailer, is what I associate best with the beggining of my GoT obsession… because 1 year later, here I stand, on wic, writing, and eagerly waiting for more bits of the seasons to come!

So bring it on HBO! Bring the trailer for more people to get irremediably GoT-ified!

115. Omar Brown
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I thought Ned Vs Jaime swordfight was shot and cut wonderfully, and while I like Kingdom Of Heaven the fast cuts made it seem exciting but also confusing. I prefer to have sword fights play in mostly master shots so you can see the strokes.

300 was cool too, but I don’t want that bullet time stuff ANYWHERE near my GOT.

116. Hunter
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

If they actually wore helmets, A) skilled stunt doubles could easily be used and B) people like me would stop constantly bitching about how they never use helmets.

117. TheAnchoress
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown,

Darquemode

Drfunk

I love thinking about this kind of thing, so I’m really glad to find y’all having this debate! I think a lot of it has to do with how GoT and Spartacus choose different paths of emotional emphasis. If you watch more than a couple episodes of Spartacus, eventually you get over the fact that everything looks like 300 and the bullet-time fight style and exaggerated gore end up being more propulsive of character desires and emotions. The fight style’s so exaggerated because it’s expressive. The melodrama bleeds into the show’s visuals. That’s just the way that universe works.

What I love about GoT, though, is that even in this vast, sprawling story, the characters’ emotionality comes through not so much in physical action or in the visual style, but through performance and dialog. The fight scenes are cut well, although not quickly, which is what we’re used to these days, and there’s almost no subjectivity in the way that Gladiator and other recent epics have made popular. There’s not enough to them to transcend the cold, hard reality of the world – unless, you know, there’s dragons or wildfire or something magical going on – in the way that movies are used to doing. But this means that what we take away from “Blackwater” is Tyrion’s speech, which is as it should be.

118. towerofjoy
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown,

119. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

HBO’s Beyonce special is on Feb 16th, so I’ll guess they’ll release it around then.

120. Steven Swanson
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

towerofjoy: Omar Brown, I think the action has really grown as GOT has. Gregor vs sandor wasnt that impressive but then by blackwater the action was insane!

I don’t know if you were around at the time, but Conan Stevens (who played Gregor 1st season) claimed here that the original fight they staged was actually much more impressive than the heavily edited version that made it into the show. I agree that their fight as shown wasn’t much to write home about.

121. PhoenixDark
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Given the utter silence thus far I must say a Super Bowl ad could be a possibility. It’s quite expensive as the WiC pointed out, but it’s also the perfect way to reach a large audience, much of which isn’t familiar with the show; most film trailers shown during this year’s game will be fantasy, sci fi, comic/novel adaptions, etc so it would fit right in. And conveniently, the second season DVD/blu ray set comes out a week after the Super Bowl.

And while I’d certainly rather see $4-8 mil go towards the show’s non-advertising budget, a Seven Devils or Shadow-esque trailer would certainly tread in very positive territory on a cost v benefit analysis.

122. Zack
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

I quite enjoyed it nonetheless, if only for that fantastic moment of Sandor kneeling to the king just in time to miss Gregor’s blade. Thrilling bit of choreography, that.

123. Arthur
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

I really think D&D are evolving and getting better and better at this every season.

GoT is an epic that involves a lot of CGI backgrounds and many other little things that add up besides just the dragons and direwolves. This is even more so with the key scenes of the series, the CGI on the big scenes in the series probably take a lot of time.

D&D probably are waiting to release a good trailer that includes some 1 second glimpses of some of these key scenes, which would take a lot of time for the CGI to be completed. So rather then rushing out unfinished footage of Greywind or something like that, that would cause another gate issue, D&D are most likely dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s this time around.

Just my thought on the trailer taking more time then normal issue on this thread.

124. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

zob,

zob, you and DrFunk are continuing something this woman has been discussing on this site for many months. There are trememdously talented fight choreographers who would bring some real dazzle to those fight scenes, many of the martial art style fight choreographers could easily adapt their moves to accomodate the heavy armor and huge, heavy swords that were the medieval arsenal. They would bring some “zip” to the audience that has become accustomed to faster and more stylistically interesting fight scenes for the last 20 years. Fight choreography is a real art form in itself, like in this sword versus staff scene (remove the wirework and there’s some realistic ass-whooping going on here). A woman would LOVE to see Donnie Yen as the Red Viper or Areo Hota.

We must keep in mind, however, that medieval fighting was slower due to the weight of the armor and the weapons themselves. Medieval broadswords are huge and weigh double or triple or more what a Chinese broadsword or Japanese katana weighs. So there are actual physical reasons for the fighting to be slower than what we see in many martial arts or action movies. Speeding up the action could be done in post-processing, no doubt about that.

125. Iron Born
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Two months to go .. The worst of the waiting is over……. What is dead may never die…

126. TheNightFort
    Posted January 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

garyd,

Really?! I love the chase but missed it tonight. What was the question??

127. Prom000
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 1:21 am | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,

You may be on to something.

@Walking Dead
    Around my circles of Friends that show is watch more often and more talked about,
    BUT
    it doesnt harm GoT in any way. If anything it helps by showing too that you can have both sci-fi/horror/fantasy AND heavy Drama.

128. Phil Norris
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 5:38 am | Permalink

AdrianAegon,

Comparing the Superbowl with the Champions League final is like comparing a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost with a go-kart.

129. garyd
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 7:53 am | Permalink

TheNightFort,
    Hi mate, The question was ‘ what tv series is based on George R R Martins best selling novel series’

130. TheNightFort
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

garyd,

Haha oh okay. Not too difficult for us Thrones fans then!

131. Duff Man
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Here’s all you need for the trailer to make it awesome. A quick shot of Jaime saying “Give my regards to Robb Stark” and scene.

132. zob
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Arthur: I remember season 2, there was a trailer that came out pretty early that caused “Growlgate” because the CGI wasn’t completed and they rushed out the footage of Greywind to be in the trailer.

LOL. Of course you remember, you were the one complaining about that… :D

133. juego de tronos
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I hope that the official trailer will be out soon.