Dean-Charles Chapman joins the cast
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting.

chapmanAccording to the CV of Dean-Charles Chapman, the 15-year-old actor has joined the cast for Game of Thrones‘ third season in an unspecified role.

Chapman was an original member of the London cast of Billy Elliott, and took over the title role in 2009. He spent two years starring in the production before exiting in 2011. Chapman also played the title role in the CBBC series The Revolting World of Stanley Brown and will be playing a son of Elizabeth Woodville in the upcoming adaptation of The White Queen.

Based on his CV, he’ll be appearing in the episode directed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. HBO previously confirmed that Benioff and Weiss are directing episode 3.

He is represented by Kat Gosling of Troika Talent, the same agency that represents Lena Headey, Richard Madden, Oona Chaplin, Carice van Houten, Joe Dempsie, and Hannah Murray.

Given Chapman’s experience and representation, he likely has a speaking role in season 3. There are several possibilities. He could be one of the younger men who turn up in Night’s Watch scenes. There are also two notable roles in A Storm of Swords that we have yet to see cast that Chapman would be age-appropriate for- Edric Storm and Edric  Dayne. To date, we’ve had no confirmation that either character will be in season 3. If Edric Dayne is appearing, it seems likely he would show up before episode 3, based on the first episode synopsis. There is no mention of the Dragonstone characters in the synopsis, which could fit with Chapman not appearing until episode 3.

Ours is the Fury: What do you think? I’m hoping for an Edric, especially Edric Storm, because the Dragonstone story would be much stronger with Edric’s presence.

UPDATE 2/8: We have heard from a reliable source that Chapman will NOT be playing Edric Dayne or Edric Storm. So that blows a hole in most of our theories.

UPDATE: Westeros.org is reporting that their sources have indicated that Chapman will be playing a Lannister prisoner.

1. Headless Ned
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Has to be Edric. Look at those Florent ears.

2. Sayslah
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Cool

3. Sky Aero
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Well, i hope Edric is in!

But i did thought he would be more Gendry-like…

4. Javi Marcos
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Arya could be caputured by the BWB the first episode but meet Dayne in the third episode. She wouldn’t have too much screentime in episode 2.

I think that Arya will stay with the BWB until episode 6 or 7, so they can place her adventures as they want. They can postergate the appearance of Dayne.

I’d love to see Edric Stone this season but in that case he should appear in more than one episodes. So I wouldn’t bet that Chapman is Robert’s bastard,

5. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Cool! Hope he’s Edric Storm, it would really help the Dragonstone storyline. I dont like the idea of Shireen replacing his part in the show.

Someone should email his agent for confirmation :)

6. J
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I really, really hope he’s Edric Storm!!

7. Matt
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Could be one of the frey kids imprisoned with theon?

8. Nezzer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Please please please please please please please be EDRIC STORM! I am very, very afraid of the consequences of him being replaced by Shireen.

9. Rhotten
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Edric Storm… Or Edric Dayne?

10. OhDanyBoy
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Are we sure it would only be for one episode? Perhaps if he’s in multiple episodes, they just list the showrunners as directors? Or maybe they just list the directors for the first ep he is in.

11. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

They are definitely labeled as the directors for that episode on the CV, and I don’t think it’s a mistake. But no, we’re not sure he’s only in one episode. Sometimes only the first episode will be listed. But more commonly, CVs will list the episode director as “Various” when the actor is in many episodes.

12. Richard
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand how there are casting announcements month(s) before the season starts? Isn’t it 90% finished already? Or are these more like casting reveals?

13. Anonymous
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Maybe Devan Seaworth?

14. Julie
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

or Edric Dayne?

15. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

He’s not really needed for more than one episode though is he?

Show him in Episode 3 playing with Shireen as Mel urges Stannis to sacrifice him. Close up of Stannis torn on what to do.

Show Stannis approaching Davos in a later episode who is talking to random non speaking extras about something and stops talking as Stannis arrives.

Ep 10, have Stannis confront Davos as to Edric’s whereabouts. And the reveal

16. Arkash
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Richard,

The shooting is over. It’s just that we found out some of the smaller roles just now.

17. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Edric Storm would be great but he’s not naturally black of hair (Florent ears notwithstanding); why cast that relatively small part only to require a wig? I’m guessing a wildling child or possibly another prisoner at the Dreadfort.

18. Darquemode
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I would see him in either role…..!

I assumed (or at least wondered if) they would cut Edric Storm after casting such a high profile Shireen earlier. Combining their two minor roles is not that bg of a stretch, but on the other hand keeping both minor roles would not add much confusion…

I can see them keep Storm to add a scene or two to the Stannis arc this season as his arc is relativley small… Also it would certainly show a side of Davos that we have not seen neary as much of without the internal dialogs of the book.

I really hope he will play Edric Dayne though honestly.
    I enjoyed the short scenes with Danye in the book and it would be nice to see Maisie/ Arya bring one o those scenes to life…

Could he be playing “Boy” at the Inn of the Kneeling Man?

19. M
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty sure they cast for the Lannister twin/Frey cousin imprisoned at Riverrun. This might be one of them.

20. Villane
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I’ve got a theory that Edric’s roll will be transferred to Shireen to up the stakes a bit in the Dragonstone storyline. Mel tries to convince Stannis to sacrifice his own daughter for her king’s blood.

21. ebevan91
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Hopefully Edric Storm

22. Villane
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Now that I think about, my guess is he would be playing a Lannister squire being held at Riverrun that gets butchered by Lord Karstark causing Robb to do some head lopping. Having someone so young for the roll would make Rickard’s betrayal even more painful for The King in the North

23. Coltaine777
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

He has gotta be Edric Storm…Adds a lot of potential drama to Stannis’ and Davos’ storyline in season 3..

24. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

A Lannister squire/prisoner is a good guess too. Certainly the right age range.

25. David R Witanowski
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I’m thinking that he’s going to be one of the Lannister hostages at Riverrun.

26. MaryS-NJ
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver:

Joe Dempsie is not naturally black of hair either, but they colored it for his role as Robert’s bastard son. Sophie Turner is not a natural redhead, but her hair was colored auburn to match the Tully characteristics. It’s really not that big a deal to use some temporary hair color. I expect they’ll end up doing the same for the actress who plays Shireen as well.

That being said, I like the speculation that Chapman is being cast as a Lannister cousin who is murdered by Rickard Karstark. There needs to be some event to cause Robb to execute Karstark, and I think that was an important scene in Robb’s storyline in the book.

27. Yago
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I hope he’s Edric Dayne. Liked him in the book, and with only Thoros, Beric and Anguy (?) the BwB can use another person.

28. Toast
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

At first glance of the picture I thought Satin, but ep 3 is to early for that character to show up. I do hope that Edric Dayne is cast and the conversation between him and Arya about Jon’s mother can show up.

29. Nezzer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

MaryS-NJ,

But the Lannister Lord Karstark kills could be just an extra or featured extra. Why cast an experienced actor for such a tiny role?

30. Grijnwaald
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Cool…………………*sniff*…………….

31. Carne
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

Would give it a more powerful effect if he has a couple of lines.

32. Arkash
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

Maybe they will devellop the role of the Lannister hostage : having him talk to Robb. Maybe a scene where Robb will assure him he’ll be well treated.

From what we can guess from the pictures, Riverrun will appear in episode 3. The same indicated for this young actor.

My guess is that after Hoster’s funeral, Robb will want to talk to the Lannister hostage, and we will have a scene with him there.

I guess he would appear also later on in the series (episode 4/5 ?) when Lord Karstark will muder him for vengeance.

33. Cary Storm
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Here’s another vote for Edric Storm. To the nay-sayers based on his hair color: Hair can be died, wigs can be worn, and fairly frequently in this series it’s one or the other.

34. DavidBC
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Could he be a replacement for Tommen? I was thinking of how problematic it is that Tommen is so young … compared to the actress that plays Margery(sp?).

35. zambi76
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

DavidBC: Could he be a replacement for Tommen?

Was my very first thought too.

36. MaryS-NJ
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Nezzer:
    MaryS-NJ,

Good question. I suppose for the same reason that they’ve cast other experienced actors is smallish parts. Maybe Robb will question him and make him a promise that he will exchange him for other VIP POWs, or even for his sisters – only to have Karstark ruin the deal by killing the boy. I think the victim needs to be as close in relation to Jaime as possible, like a first cousin, maybe Kevan’s son instead of some off-screen Frey/Lannister cousin.

In any case, Edric Dayne and Edric Storm are small parts too, although important in certain scenes. If he plays any of those three characters, I’d be pleased.

37. Headless Ned
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Rhotten,

Storm. The larger ears may be a give away. Since it’s said that Edric Storm looked like a Baratheon, but had the large ears common in house Florent. Since they upped the time after the death of the Mad King, Edric Dayne would probably be played by an older actor. That’s if they have Edric Dayne in the show at all.

38. Juego de tronos
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I hope thar he will be Edric Storm!!

39. Duff Man
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Strong Belwas perhaps???

40. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Edric Storm!

41. spacechampion
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It’s possible it would be Edric Dayne in episode 3. He’s Beric’s squire, so should be sticking close to him, and taking until episode 3 to meet Beric makes sense. It would be others like Lem and Anguy who meet up with Arya in the first episode. Beric is far away at that point.

42. Kingslayer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Just so everyone knows, blu-ray.com has just posted a fantastic S2 Blu Ray breakdown review, naming it one of the best blurays ever!!

43. jkb
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Duff Man:
    Strong Belwas perhaps???

you might be onto something here

44. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

He’s a Lannister squire/hostage. Edric Dayne is a meaningless role that does not need to be cast. I would like for him to be Edric Storm, but it is much more likely that he is one of the Lannister POW that Karstark kills.

45. Dave
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Maybe he’s a boy in Astapor who talks to Daenerys about how he was captured from his homeland and now being trained to be Unsullied, describing the process to her?

46. feyrband
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Duff Man,

i would be completely fine with this. some kid acting out belwas’ scenes might be just as great as someone that looks more like belwas.

47. The Anchoress
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That’s a solid guess, I think. The premiere of season two seems to have put paid to Robert’s bastards within the series. And the introduction of Shireen fills, I think, the quota for new young characters on Dragonstone, especially when we’ve got The Reeds to keep track of in the North, where you have a similar “climate” in terms of color and costume.

The timing of the episodes seems to suggest that as well.

48. Joey
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Edric Dayne so they can Talk about Jons parentage. I wonder if they will ever talk about R+L=J

49. Joey
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I doubt they will show the squires who are killed in the show. That will all be done off camera. Dayne has an imortant conversation with Arya.

50. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Joey,

What is so important about it? He says he was milk brothers with him and that Jon’s mom is Wylla. Does anyone actually believe that? Besides, we already get the Wylla red herring from Ned in season 1.

51. The_Rabbit
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Great find!
    My thoughts: Agreed on the speaking role – according to his credits.
    But who? And only in one episode?
    I think the both Edrics if cast would appear in more than one episode.
    Do not think so it is replacement for Tommen, little Callum would be two years older in time for the wedding.
    How old is Olyvar Frey in the books?

52. Joey
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Because if the watchers believe it then they think the only two people that know are dead. This way the watchers think Arya would be able to tell Jon. But no, no book reader should believe that. But if they wanna use him fore the Karstark i’d be fine with that to. I just hope it doesnt Take Rob as many strikes as it took Theon.

53. cabbo
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I think Dayne and Storm are both fairly important in their own way – Storm to set up the king’s blood phenomenon and Dayne for the juicy backstory… which I guess… isn’t important. But admitting that makes me sad.

54. Valyrian
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I think I prefer Edric Dayne, this show need more Daynes!!!!! But Storm is important too, so I’d be happy with either :D

55. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Edric Dayne definitely isn’t meaningless but I think a couple other potential boy roles are more valuable for plot purposes, Storm and the squire hostages among them.

56. A-Gone
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Sunday is coming !

57. argilac's antler
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I was thinking a Frey, perhaps consolidating Little and Big Walder into one character? or as someone suggested Olyvar Frey, or perhaps a consolidation of all three characters rolled into one. ie, Robb’s squire is sent north with the Boltons and joins up with the Bastard after Robb’s death. Or perhaps the Frey boy who was betrothed to Arya. It isn’t an important scene but I’d love to see when Arya unknowingly calls herself a stupid princess. =D

Reaching for sure, but a possibility I haven’t seen mentioned so far. Seems like everyone’s got a hard-on for Edric Storm.

58. FilliamHMuffman
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I really hope he’s our Edric Storm. I’ve never liked the idea of cutting the character and replacing him with Shireen. It makes Stannis come off too evil that Stannis.

59. A-Gone
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Seems like everyone’s got a hard-on for Edric Storm.

This is not the site for that kind o’ people !

60. Ren Snow
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

argilac’s antler:

Olyvar Frey was actually older than Robb.

BTW, the Lannister squire was Willem Lannister, son of Kevan and brother of Lancel

61. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

While he could be Edric Dayne or a Frey, I’m really hoping for Edric Storm.

Think about it: they’re cutting “A Storm of Swords” in half, and season 3 almost assuredly focuses on Robb Stark’s storyline, shoving other storylines into season 4; given vague comments about a huge battle scene at the end of Season 4, I think that they’re pushing the Battle of Castle Black until the Season 4 finale….which means they have to pad out the Stannis storyline.

The problem is that Stannis doesn’t have that much to do in A Storm of Swords in the first place, at least, not until the very end. Before that he’s mostly just moping on Dragonstone, then attempting to use magic on Dragonstone. Not that this is a problem, I mean his forces are exhausted what else is he going to do, but he’s kind of a spent force after Blackwater until deciding to rally the North for new allies.

So fundamentally, even if this kid isn’t Edric Storm….how could they CUT OUT Edric Storm, given that Stannis simply doesn’t have much to do until LATE SEASON FOUR.

62. Lin Beifunk
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I dunno. I think — considering his resumé — he’s a fairly substantial child character (and also appears in more than one episode for sure).

63. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Stannis will probably only be in 4 or 5 episodes this season. The Edric Storm subplot would be a good one to bridge the gap until he sails North. I think the ‘king’s blood’ plotline will be in, but I’m not sure if it will be Shireen taking Edric’s place or not.

64. Erik
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Or could he be the little brother of Talisa ?
    I think she talked about him during the second season.

65. Patrick Carlisle
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Edric Dayne is important because he is Beric squire and has been with him for all six of his deaths. As well as shining light to Arya about how her father was honorable but everyone has flaws because none of the Stark kids know anything about the tourney at Harrenhal during the false spring and what happened there.—-Rhaegar, Lyanna, Brandon Stark, Ashara & Ned, the Knight of the Laughing Tree, Jamie being introduced into the kingsguard. The tourney @ Harrenhal is known to everybody in the realm but the Stark children. Its seems that Ned Stark kept this from his family to conceal them on what really happen later in the Tower of Joy.

66. Joey
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Speaking of plotline what are they gonna do with Theon this season? Will his plotline be completely make up. A lot of torture!!!!!!!!!

67. Patrick Carlisle
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

and you dont meet Edric Dayne until you meet Dondarrion in the book about 400 pages in. Arya runs into Harron, Anguy and Lem in the second chapter of the book so Episode 3 for Edric Dayne, Thoros and Dondarrrion makes sense

68. DavidBC
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I really think he may be Tommen Baratheon… he looks like a good match for Jack Gleason’s brother.

69. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Patrick Carlisle,

Arya meets the Brotherhood in the first episode of this season. It’s in the first episode synopsis I linked in the original post.

70. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Just thinking, I don’t think he can be Edric Dayne.

Surely any Edric Dayne cast would have to be believably of age with Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) right?

71. Nezzer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

DavidBC:

I think they exposed Tommen way too much to change him now. I don’t think they will change the actor, not this soon, anyway, and DC Chapman is too old for the part.

72. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

DavidBC,

Why would they change the actor for Tommen? The one they have is fine. Plus, this kid is several years older than the actor playing Tommen. If anything they would look to keep Tommen younger, not make him older.

73. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Patrick Carlisle,

That is all fine, but he is not necessary. We can get the same sense that Eddard isolated his children from the story of the tournament at Harrenhal from the Reeds, who tell Bran the story and act surprised when they learn that his father never told him about it.

74. Jacarb
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

My money says Storm. The only new information that Arya’s conversation with Dayne gives us is that Wylla was a Dayne servant. We don’t remotely need it. And we won’t see Karstark killing prisoners. Expect another guards-ride-up-to-Rob-with-bad-news scene to explain what happened.

75. JamesL
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

This is not Edric. Edric would not be in just 1 episode. Stannis daughter is probally taking the role of Edric.

76. mariamb18
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Casting Edric Storm makes sense because it adds weight to Stannis’ storyline which – as everyone else points out – is rather limited in the first half of ASOS.

However, if House Dayne plays any role in this story going forward, then Edric Dayne may need to be introduced.

Other than the photos of Stannis and Melisandre, we’ve seen nothing of the crowd at Dragonstone. Maybe when the trailer finally arrives…

77. Joey
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Jacarb,

I cant remember but wasnt Edric Storm big for his age, like gendry. I guess that really doesnt matter but cuz the rest of the baratheons werent real big like in the book.

78. M
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

If they were going to include Edric Dayne, he would probably be more of an ongoing character, announced at the same time as Thoros/Beric/Anguy. Why hold that back? The fact that this is coming out only now indicates that it’s a smaller role. Incidentally, I adore Edric Dayne & wish they would include him, but I don’t see it.

79. Bannerless Bro
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I still hold my position: Edric storm storyline will be mixed with Shireen. There are huge biblical undertones in the idea of sacrificing your own child, and the fact that in the end is a mock sacrifice will make it even more biblical.
    My opinion is that he will play Edric Dayne.

Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Edric Storm seems important to the story, because he adds so much tension to the Stannis/Davos/Melisandre triangle. And after all, Stannis doesn’t have much to do right now. It’s also a good continuation of the Robert’s-bastards story thread started with Gendry. I hope he’s Edric Storm!

81. Meg
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

The whole kingsblood/Edric Storm/Davos plot was painful. I never understood why Stannis would listen to Mel again after losing the battle. Even more, Edric’s plot was not a good choice for developing Stannis’ character, because we already knew Stannis was an inflexible bastard. And I love Stannis. I hope D&D re-write the hell out of it. To me, the only thing that matters in Stannis’ arc at this point is the epiphany he has. That that he must work on winning the loyalty of his subjects, rather than just winning the throne by appealing to his “rights.” What does Edric Storm have to do with that?

82. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Meg,

Because in that plot, he’s only looking at the endgame- Melisandre says sacrificing Edric will help him win the throne. But he has to learn that the life of someone under his protection is more important than wearing the crown. He can’t win people’s loyalty if he is willing to torch his innocent young blood relative.

83. David R Witanowski
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I’m certain this has been asked before, but is there some specific reason that the cast list is kept partially secret from the fans of the show? I mean, if you haven’t read the books it’s not like you’re going to know who (for instance) Thoros of Myr is, exactly, or what his role is going to be . . . And if you have read the books, then you’re already incredibly familiar with the big twists of the series, so what harm is there in letting us know who everyone is going to play / who is appearing in the season? Or is the mystery merely intended to keep us fans abuzz with speculation so that stories and updates about Game of Thrones keep popping up on the internet? Hmmm. I may have just answered my own question.

84. Darquemode
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Ha!
    I saw this and thought they were rather fun…. Baratheon Chuck Taylors.

85. Meg
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Fury – I think the “lesson” seems redundant. He already learned, through Blackwater, that the life of his subjects who died there were more important than winning the crown first. He can’t gain people’s loyalty just by winning the throne either – he recognizes the bigger picture. Simply his arc, please!!

86. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Meg,

He doesn’t have much of an arc in ASoS, is the problem. He’s in a holding pattern until he heads for the Wall. And I don’t know how much he learned from Blackwater. Soldiers’ lives are lost in wars, and it’s expected. Throwing a child’s life away into the fire brings into focus the idea of an innocent’s life being the cost.

87. Selmy
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Coulf be a Lannister boy with the whole Robb thing. Readers will understand.

88. Watson
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Just in case anybody cares, we actually know that Dragonstone will feature in eps 2 and 3. The photos of Mel and Stannis were listed as ep 2 and Carice tweeted a photo of herself doing ADR for ep 3.

89. Rygar
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

I really hope they combine a tub, hot water, and a naked Jaime. Word to your mother.

90. Cary Storm
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Stannis can’t sacrifice Shireen because they need her to take up north and impersonate Arya to marry Ramsay Snow. It is known.

91. Rygar
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

What an outlandish prospect!

92. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    I really hope they combine a tub, hot water, and a naked Jaime.Word to your mother.

From your lips to R’hllor’s ears!

93. Rygar
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

From R’hllor’s ears to my hand on my penis.

Mrs. H’ghar: From your lips to R’hllor’s ears!

94. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    From R’hllor’s ears to my hand on my penis.

Naughty Rygar! You need some soap on those fingers!

95. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Patchface! (sorry someone had to say it). Edric Storm seems the best bet, the could have him interact with Shireen, create context for Davos wanting to murder Meli etc…

96. Cary Storm
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Ser Lemon Cakes:

I’m fully confident Patchface will turn up too. Probably a featured extra or a surprise cast. And probably also just one or two episodes.

97. Drunken Fool
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:51 am | Permalink

After looking at the CV it seems to me that when they mention D&D as Directors they just picked the biggest name attached to the show. It also says GOT III which could reference a specific episode, but I doubt that as well. GOT has a huge budget but I doubt they will cast a specific person (this costs money) to show up for one episode for 5 minutes. At this point there is no way of knowing who he is or how large a roll he will play, but my guess will be an addition to the Stannis story arc due to the small number of characters in it already. We have plenty of people around Robb already, and they are introducing 3 or 4 new characters with Arya. So if it is a Stannis character, I would guess Edric Storm.

98. Tom
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Edric Storm or Edric Dayne….

99. andrael
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Meg,

He didn’t lose Blackwater because of Mel. He sent her away before the battle precisely so that his victory would not be attributed to her. By that logic, his defeat could not be attributed to her either. Mel did not advise him on battle tactics, etc.; that was all Stannis. And it was Mel’s magic that won him the Stormlords and the Florents, without whose armies he would not have stood the remotest chance of winning in the first place.

I don’t think that the key question of Stannis’s arc is about “winning loyalty” so much as it is about “protecting the realm”. Melisandre tries to convince Stannis that by sacrificing *one* life — Edric Storm– they can end the war quickly and be in a better position to defend the realm against the Others, thus saving countless lives in the long run. Davos tries to convince him that protecting the realm includes protecting the individual people, including Edric Storm. It’s the old question of whether the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, etc. etc.

100. Jentario
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:18 am | Permalink

I hope it’s Edric Dayne. Trailer.

101. Patrick Carlisle
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Jenye Poole is the girl who impersonates Arya not Shireen. One of Sansa best friend from winterfell. No one will marry Shireen because of the greyscale she has. Now this is known

102. The Onion Knight
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:47 am | Permalink

I find it to be not only a travesty but a slight against the fans that Patchface has not yet been announced with a solid actor for the show and may never.

103. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:17 am | Permalink

I believe he is Edric Storm, because they must put a plot link to the Dragonstone thread. This season, Selyse appears, and she needs development also. They might show her bitterness for the boy, and why she wants him also sacificed, since I guess Selyse will reamain in the tv show, the same ardent follower of Mel and her god. Shireen taking Edric’s place… I don’t know how can they pull that with Selyse reamaining the same. Plus, she is portraied by Tara Fitzgerald! She can’t just say a couple of lines…
    Plus, combining Edric’s purpose into Shiree, will just make Stannis something that he is not. And we already have such a precedent with Robb Stark in S2,(the reason why he married Talisa..) and that didn’t work at all…

104. Mormegil
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Drunken Fool: GOT has a huge budget but I doubt they will cast a specific person (this costs money) to show up for one episode for 5 minutes.

This is the show that hired an actor with over 50 years experience to play a dead body for less than a minute.

105. Kyrenna
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

AdrianAegon,

You just convinced me, I’d forgotten about Selyse altogether.

Didn’t think he’d be one of the Frey POWs because Rickard Karstark simply isn’t big enough a role for him to be doing childrens’ butchering on screen. That will be, as someone above said, a messenger report.

Makes me a happy girl as well, never cared much for Edric Dayne.

106. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

They originally were going to film Jon Arryn’s actual death, maybe that’s why they brought him in. And I always wondered if they chose a good actor ahead of time in case they decided to do flashbacks in the future. Seems unlikely now.

107. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Oh NO! then who?? didn’t the source give a hint? Oh and I was so convinced it was Edric Storm… bummer.

108. Turri
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Well, who can say? I’ll throw in “one of Varys’ boys” for good measure

Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Just updated the post, we have heard from a reliable source that Dean-Charles Chapman is NOT playing Edric Dayne or Edric Storm. Back to the speculative drawing board.

110. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I’m sponging my brains out! He appears in one episode, nr. 3, he has a speaking part, he may be a Lannister, or a Frey boy, he may be a recast, or a son of someone… oh I give up!

111. D'Arcy
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Could the reliable source be hinting that they changed the name of Edric Dayne or Edric Storm? It’s possible he could still be playing either character, but they changed the name because they’re including both characters?

Otherwise… Isn’t there a character named “Boy” at some inn that Arya runs into? Maybe I’m not remembering correctly.

112. Ioco73
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I hope that it is Edric Storm that this youngn’ will play! Other than that a hearthy welcome to the cast of GoT!

This is off topic, now I find myself in need of an intervention…LOL! I just finished reading ” A Dance With Dragons”….and feel like a junkie forced to quit the drugs he loves cold turkey!
    I really don’t know what to follow ASOIF with! I was thinking to go with Patrick Rotfuss’s “The Wise Man’s Fear” or Neil Gaiman’s “Anansi Boys”…or Max Brooks’s ” World War Z “. Any other suggestions? I got a few more books to read in the “Wheel of Time” series as well as William Gibson’s latest novel “Zero History”. Now after having tasted the gourmet delight that were the ASOIF novels, other books feel just plain and mediocre at best and at worst…well I don’t want to dwell on those…

SO PLEASE HELP ME!

PS Holly crap!!! Jon Snow!!!!!!!! Please tell me he is not dead!!!! And one more question, was Ashara Dayne his mother?

I found this passage in Neil Gaiman’s “Anansi Boys” which I think adequately expresses what ASOIF is: “Songs remain. They last. The right song can turn an emperor into a laughingstock, can bring down dynasties. A song can last long after the events and people in it, are dust and dreams and gone. That’s the power of songs.”

113. feyrband
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

D’Arcy,

That does ring a bell, however I am in agreement with the Lannister theory atm. It could be a Tommen recast, but I’m thinking more along the lines of Karstark.

114. spacechampion
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Ioco73:

Well, Cat was dead too, and now she’s not-dead, so take a reasonable guess. Now if only there was a red priestess around who would give Jon the kiss of life… or an animal into which a dead Jon could warg… then maybe Jon could become not-dead too, if he is dead now.

Regarding Ashara, I’m not sure how many fan theories you are familiar with, but I don’t think it likely she is Jon’s mother. It was Ned’s brother Brandon, apparently, that Ser Barristan was referring to when he was thinking about what the Stark did to her (ie. slept with her, maybe got her pregnant, but I think there is a timeline problem with that theory. After she slept with Brandon, I think Ned buried any feelings he might have had for her. But regardless, Jon’s mother is someone else, and most fans think Lyanna.

115. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Ioco73,

1)The Frank Herbert Dune series man, the first trilogy in particular.

2) Masters of Rome by Colleen McCullough, epic depiction of the Fall of the Roman Republic, as detailed and epic as ASOIAF. The politics are intense. The first three books chronicling the rise and fall of Marius and then Sulla are must reads.

3. Malazan.

116. Duff Man
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

My Strong Belwas theory just gained more traction!

117. Carne
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

My money on a Lannister prisoner.

118. Anon
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Matt,

Bran had sent them to the farm across the way, early in the season and they were who Theon killed I’m quite sure. It’s been a while since watching it though.. someone correct me if I’m wrong.

119. Kaeth
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I wonder if he’s playing the frey that squires for robb maybe? I know he gets a little bit of play in the books but they could go with him being in it more before the rw?

120. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

There’s the hostage squires, the boy at the Inn of the Kneeling Man, various Frey children, assorted Night’s Watch characters (incl. Satin)…anyone else he could be?

121. azad_injejikian
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Olyvar Frey?

122. Gecc1
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

123. Matt
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

My money’s on either big walder or little walder

124. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Gecc1: There is a boy with purple eyes traveling with a knight named Jon Connington at the other side of the narrow sea. Maybe they want to introduce him early?

That boy, technically is older than Jon Snow, and should look at least 18. And that early? it’s silly. He is a supporting character to Tyrion, and Tyrion doesn’t arrive in Essos until the end of S4, when he kills certain someones…

125. Tom
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Then he’s one of the Lannister squires who were captives of the Northerners.

126. D'Arcy
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

My prediction is the boy at the Inn of the Kneeling Man. He’ll be in episode 3, right? So Brienne and Jaime run into him, and at the end of the episode, Arya Stark arrives at the Inn, and her identity is revealed. One episode, in and out. He has lines so that the audience remembers him across both storylines and think: “Whoa, Brienne is kind of on the lookout for Stark daughters and she was SO close.” Well, I hope this happens regardless of who Dean Charles Chapman is playing, but my money is still on that boy at the Inn.

127. Kyrenna
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Well, sh*t. I do suppose Karstark gets to kill his Lannister on screen, then. Or eh, for another (far out) option…Bran and the Reeds run into a hillman, yes? Muddle, Liddle, whatwashisname. In my memory that guy is pretty nondescript n all…easy to fill in with whoever. Can’t remember if that’s before or after Queenscrown, though. Meh!

Ioco73,

Patrick Rothfuss’s books are very good. I’d also throw in Roger Zelazny’s Amber series, and the names Michael Moorcock and Tad Williams. They should last you a while :)

128. Anonymous
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

“About Game of Thrones” video to be released next week.

129. Remin
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
  130. A-Gone
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

If your source told you who he-s not playing, I’m guessing you know who he IS playing. Why the mystery and the lies?

Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

A-Gone:

I wasn’t able to find out who he was playing. If I knew, I would tell you.

132. MyBFFTheHound
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

25th of February? Seriously?

133. Darquemode
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it is a new character or one of the book roles has been renamed?

134. Duff Man
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

MyBFFTheHound,

That’s when it comes to OnDemand which means it will probably show up on HBO on the 24th which is a Sunday. Stinks to wait two weeks for it, but on the flip side once the trailer gets here that will only be 5 weeks until an actual episode, I’ll take that!!

135. Darquemode
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Anonymous,

Remin,

Good finds, thanks!

Nice to see them finally hit high rotation with new promo material….
    I’m still hoping for more character, house and region promo vids, but this is a nice start!

136. mariamb18
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:
    Perhaps it is a new character or one of the book roles has been renamed?

That would be my guess, at this point.

137. choukai
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

loco73

If you want to read a bunch of novels based in a fantasy world complete with very grey characters then I would have to recommend the Thomas Covenant series. I’m still only halfway through and they’re a very good (and at times very depressing) read.

138. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

the son of Davos who goes to be a squire for Stannis? An aged down Garlan Tyrell? (To explain his absence till now). We know Petyr goes to the Vale, so perhaps we get a glimpse of Harry the Heir-also aged down to give us hope for Sansa when he leads her to the Eyie? New character: Ross, brother of Ros?

139. Mormegil
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Ser Lemon Cakes,

See the update to the Post.

Westeros reports that he’s one of the Lannister Squires.

140. Villane
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Lannister squire suckas! I called it!

141. Ioco73
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

choukai,

Joshua Taylor,

Kyrenna,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer and make suggestions…funny enough I’m jonesing for “The Winds Of Winter”, and all I got to do is look outside my window and realize that the Starks were right of course and winter has come…now I got to worry about White Walkers on my way to work tonight :-)…

142. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Ioco73,

I called in sick today. Ottawa’s Bus Service is garbage, especially on Snow Days.

143. M
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Villane,

I think I called it first!

144. Villane
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

M,

Fair enough. Didn’t see your comment. Don’t want to piss off Bond’s boss

145. M
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

As it is a first, and probably a last… I want to take my fleeting glory where I can find it.

146. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

He definitely looks like a cousin to Tommen, so the news update is not surprising. He will be a heartbreaker in a few years that one!

147. loco73
    Posted February 9, 2013 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

At least you got to stay home, I was at work all night last night, and I get to do it all over again the next few days…so I got to see the storm’s full force on display!

148. Kyrenna
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Reading the raven reports about that over-the-big-salt-water region called northeast USA/Canada, I’m kinda happy winter only brought about 4 inches/10 cm of snow today. Snow is rare here, and 4 inches of it even rarer, so I had lots of fun with it before half of it melted to slush already. Then I tried imagining what a full meter (3 something feet?) of it must be like. Blazing down n all.

Good luck, ye true Northerners…hope that storm will break soon.

149. bufkus
    Posted April 14, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

welp looks like he was probably Martin Lannister

150. Heather
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

UPDATE: It’s Martyn Lannister in 3.03