New animated history plus the full list of histories on the S2 Blu-ray
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

HBO has released a new animated history from the Game of Thrones season two Blu-ray set. This one was actually first posted on the My Watch Begins site, but now HBO has uploaded it to Youtube and we’re embedding it here for any who may have missed it.

After the break, we have the full rundown of the animated histories found on the S2 set along with who narrates them.

Greyjoy Rebellion - three separate tellings by Robb Stark (Richard Madden), Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen) and Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane)
Robert’s Rebellion - four separate tellings by Stannis Baratheon, Davos Seaworth (Liam Cunningham), Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer), and Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley)
House Tyrell - narrated by Margaery Tyrell
House Greyjoy - narrated by Theon and Yara Greyjoy (Gemma Whelan)
House Clegane - narrted by Sandor Clegane (Rory McCann)
The Free Folk - narrated by Ygritte (Rose Leslie)
The Night’s Watch - narrated by Ygritte
Dragonstone - narrated by Stannis Baratheon
Harrenhal - narrated by Catelyn Stark
The Free Cities - narrated by Jorah Mormont (Iain Glen)
Qarth - narrated by Xaro Xhoan Daxos (Nonso Anozie)
The Drowned God - narrated by Yara Greyjoy
The Alchemist Guild - narrated by Wisdom Hallyne (Roy Dotrice)
The Warlocks - narrated by Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Winter Is Coming: As most of you know, I received my copy of the S2 Blu-rays. I haven’t had a chance to watch all of the histories yet, but the ones I have seen are very good. A lot of great info there, very helpful for fans of the TV series to understand more of the background and nice for fans of the books to have a refresher.

1. Erik
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

2. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I want her to tell me a bedtime story every night.

3. LordNoga1981
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Warlocks should be narrated by Pyat Pree. Id rather have his perspective.

OMG third! Im so goddamn special.(see how dumb that is)

4. Watson
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Things I didn’t know I wanted: listening to Stannis tell me how he feels about the Greyjoy Rebellion.

Catelyn is an odd choice for Harrenhal, but I guess there isn’t a natural narrator.

Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Watson:

Well it’s a part of the Riverlands, so presumably her family would know a good bit about its history. I would have preferred Tywin but I guess they couldn’t get Charles Dance this year.

6. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Nonso Anozie has a beautiful voice, I’m glad he’ll be narrating two videos.

7. Arkash
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

In other news : just read a quick interview of Kristofer Hivju where he talks briefly of GoT : http://twitchfilm.com/2013/02/talking-exodus-and-game-of-thrones-with-kristofer-hivju.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

8. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

The Hound reading House Clegane is going to be EPIC.

I wonder if they’ll mention anything about the possible sister and how their Father died. ie will they say Gregor killed him :)

9. Duval
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Awesome! Especially seeing that some are narrated by Stephen Dillane. I do hope they make one of Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers and Boots narrated by Dillane to.

Great choice of subjects, although I think it would have made more sense to see the queen of thorns narrate Roberts rebellion, in stead of Margaery.

10. Watson
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Yeah, Tywin got us started in the series proper, so it would be nice to hear the rest from him. Catelyn isn’t one to go on about castles. Do we even know if she’s been there?

If you’ve listened to them, does it talk about the tourney at Harrenhal? The show’s depiction of the place is so gloomy it’s hard to imagine such a thing.

11. LordNoga1981
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Duval,

How bout that mean black cat that is probably still harboring the soul of the targaryan princess Rhaella who was killed by the Mountain. That could be interesting cause there is always a connection there. That cat has seen some shit in 17plus yrs.

12. Tom
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Are the histories only on blue ray?

13. LordNoga1981
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

That was badass. Ygritte’s voice is so sultry and arousing. What a great perspective. And to hear bout the night’s king. These stories are great for non book readers to catch on some of the untold histort. Cant wait to watch all these on youtube.

14. bon
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Also her mother is from House Whent.

15. Erinyes
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

I preordered the Blurays and I can’t wait to tuck into the histories and lore vids!

Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Watson:
    Winter Is Coming,

I haven’t watched the Harrenhal one yet. I will watch it tonight and let you know.

Tom:
    Are the histories only on blue ray?

Yes, the histories are Blu-ray only.

17. Erinyes
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

18. Deme
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

So awesome. Can’t wait to see the rest of them!

19. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Cool! Cool! Cool!
    And the House Cleagane one, is rather surprising!

20. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,
    Catelyn is a Tully, the Tullys rule over the Riverlands. Makes sense.

I strongly suspect that Catelyn will explain the fully history of Harrenhal, of which the biggest event is how it got half-ruined during the War of Conquest by Aegon Targaryen: by the time Aegon besieged Harrenhal, many of the Riverlords had joined him in revolt against Harren Hoare, among them Catelyn’s ancestor Edmyn Tully.

Thus, a history of Harrenhal involves the Riverlands in general, and in particular, explains how the Tullys became Lords Paramount of the Riverlands.

21. Matt
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Just imagine what will be on the Season 3 Blu-Ray…

House Frey (Narrated by Lord Walder)
    The Brotherhood without Banners (Beric Dondarion)
    Beyond the Wall/White Walker history etc (Mance Rayder)
    House Tully (Catelyn Stark, Edmure Tully and Blackfish)
    The lands of the far east like Asshai (Thoros of Myr and Melisandre)

I;m sure there will be a hell of a lot more!

22. Hounded
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Sounds awesome! Especially Harrenhal and House Clegane!
    There’s great potential for the season 3 ones.
    House Tully narrated by Clive Russel (Blackfish)
    Brotherhood without banners by Richard Dormer (Beric)
    Night’s Watch by Ciarin Hinds (Mance)

23. Nezzer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Three videos narrated by Stephen Dillane?! This is going to be epic! He has the most awesome voice in the show, followed by Roose Bolton and Davos.

24. KG
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

The Nightfort had a definite Icecrown Citadel feel to it. Not that I’m complaining, but it was amusing to see.

25. Nights King
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Late to the party I know, but a Nights King shoutout? YES!

26. Al
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I cant believe the trailer is still not here!!! 52 days and no trailer!

27. Nezzer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Matt:
    Just imagine what will be on the Season 3 Blu-Ray…

House Frey (Narrated by Lord Walder)
    The Brotherhood without Banners (Beric Dondarion)
    Beyond the Wall/White Walker history etc (Mance Rayder)
    House Tully (Catelyn Stark, Edmure Tully and Blackfish)
    The lands of the far east like Asshai (Thoros of Myr and Melisandre)

I;m sure there will be a hell of a lot more!

Don’t forget about House Bolton.

28. Juego de tronos
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I love these animated stories!

29. Perkins
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

these are awesome!

30. Kingslayer
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Just so everyone knows, blu-ray.com has just posted a fantastic S2 Blu Ray breakdown review, naming it one of the best blurays ever!!

31. chris
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Matt,

I’d be interested in learning more about Asshai, but since through book 5 we know almost nothing about it–it’s remained intentionally mysterious–save for some tiny snippets from a couple of characters, I don’t think it’ll show up as a Blu-Ray extra for the next few seasons. Certainly there’ll be one on Slavers Bay, I’d also expect an extra feature on wargs on the season 3 blu-ray. Given certain events, a feature on House Lannister would be expected too.

32. Independent George
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

My guesses on S3 Histories & Lore:

The Ghiscari Empire and Old Valyria (Missandei, Kranznys, Aemon Targaryen)
    The Guest Right and The Rat Cook (Bran Stark)
    The Kingswood Outlaws (Barristan Selmy)
    Robert’s Rebellion (Barristan Selmy, Jaime Lannister, Blackfish Tully)
    The Lord of Light (Thoros of Myr)
    The Isle of Faces (Meera Reed)
    Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa (Melisandre)
    History of the Kingsguard (Barristan Selmy)
    The Night’s Watch and the Kings Beyond the Wall (Mance Rayder, Bran Stark)
    Greywater Watch and the Neck (Meera Reed)
    House Bolton (Roose Bolton)
    House Frey (Walder Frey)
    House Reed (Meera Reed)
    House Tully (Blackfish Tully)

33. Macha
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

“Dragonstone – narrated by Stannis Baratheon”

Well this should be funny.

34. Isabelle
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

“With the cold, you won’t even feel the blade slip into your back.”

TOO SOON. :-(

35. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Kingslayer,

It’s funny how everyone has a different notion what the worst episode of the season is. Didn’t expect for him to choose The Ghost of Harrenhal.

36. James
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

How would one, without a blu ray player, be able to get to watch all these awesome animated histories?

Does HBO ever post them online?

37. Synnerman
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

A heads-up for everyone who might not have a Blu-ray player but plans to eventually buy one, the second season’s BD set includes the DVDs, so there is no reason to avoid picking it up (especially since it will likely street only $5 more than the standalone DVDs).

38. J
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

So excited for Stannis narration!!!

39. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

James,

I believe all of the season 1 animated histories are on youtube.

40. Isabelle
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Synnerman:

41. Cónal
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

Haha, well spotted, I lol’d!

42. B-Greyjoy
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

A bit disappointed they couldn’t get Patrick Malahide (Balon Greyjoy) to narrate for House Greyjoy, the Greyjoy Rebellion or the Drowned God bits. But hey, at least Stannis gets to talk about his victory over the Iron Fleet and what would possibly be the first TV series mentioning of Victarion.

43. Booboomagic
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Woohoo! Finally we get a contribution from Rory McCann! Love the Sandor Clegane character….

44. Jimbo
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I dont want to watch these, cause I want to wait until I have the blu ray box set! …It’s hard to resist though!

45. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Stannis’s account of the Greyjoy Rebellion should be interesting, as he won the greatest naval battle of the war near Fair Isle.

Isabelle: This may have already been answered, but are the histories and other special features accessible if I don’t have a Blu-ray player? I’m thinking of getting the Blu-ray-DVD-digital copy combo pack, but will ALL of the content be available through each of the three mediums, or just the episodes themselves?

No, the Blu-Ray special features will be on the Blu-Ray alone. It’s an incentive to upgrade to Blu-Ray.

I don’t know what the situation is in the USA, but here in the UK there’s been a massive price drop in Blu-Ray player costs these last few months. You can now get reputable branded ones for under £50, not particularly more expensive than DVD players. I wouldn’t be surprised if we started seeing DVD players phased out in a year or two’s time if the price difference between them becomes negligible.

46. Isabelle
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:

Thanks for the info. I watch most of my DVDs on my laptop, so it’s not really worth getting a Blu-ray player. If there aren’t any special features I can access with the combo pack, I think I’ll stick with the normal DVDs.

47. The last dragon
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Are the histories of there houses going to be on all the different versions of the blu-ray( lannister or greyjoy bestbuy versions, our walmart version out target ect.) I would like to know so I can make sure I’m buying one that has all of them. I’m considering buying mine thru bestbuy to get the greyjou cover sleeve. So I guess what I’m ready asking is if that one will contain them. And if not can someone let me know which ones do have them. And thanks for all the great topics on this website. Gear job wic!!

48. The last dragon
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Are the histories of there houses going to be on all the different versions of the blu-ray( lannister or greyjoy bestbuy versions, our walmart version out target ect.) I would like to know so I can make sure I’m buying one that has all of them. I’m considering buying mine thru bestbuy to get the greyjoy cover sleeve. So I guess what I’m ready asking is if that one will contain them. And if not can someone let me know which ones do have them. And thanks for all the great topics on this website. Great job wic!!

49. Card of Doom
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Does anyone have a link where I can watch all of the histories from the season 1 blu ray set? Is there a link with a full list of the histories from season 1? I am sure it was posted on here about this time last year…

50. Carp
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Booboomagic,

And he has a voice like butter. Can’t wait to hear them all but really looking forward to House Clegane.
    Wish all the bonus features where on the DVD’s though. Blu-Ray…meh.

51. dr michael obeng
    Posted April 21, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to send you an e-mail.
    I’ve got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

1. [...] histories of the various factions, houses and events narrated by the characters themselves (see here for the list of histories and who narrates them). This was one of the best features on last year’s set and remains just as good this year. [...]