GRRM comments on his TV deal with HBO, says Dunk & Egg “being discussed”
By Winter Is Coming on in News, Speculation.

The Hedge Knight graphic novelGeorge R. R. Martin has so far remained mum about his new deal with HBO, but today he responded to a comment on a post at his Not A Blog which sheds just the tiniest bit of light on the deal. And for fans of the Dunk & Egg series, it is potentially very good news.

Tuf [Voyaging] would be fun. Dunk and Egg are being discussed. Robert’s Rebellion is part of Ice & Fire, won’t be a separate series. Sandkings was done by the OUTER LIMITS; I retain feature film rights, but television rights are gone.

According to theMountainGoat, HBO does not have the rights to the Tales of Dunk & Egg, so this discussion is likely over purchasing the adaptation rights. In other words, these discussions are very preliminary. Don’t expect to see Ser Duncan and Aegon rampaging about Westeros on your TV screens next year. Still, this is a very important first step!

Winter Is Coming: Dunk & Egg!! Yesssss! Each of these stories would make such awesome movies. And if they were actually adapted by Martin, that would be a dream come true. Make it happen, HBO!

1. Andrew
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink

If I get to see Bloodraven on my TV Screen someday, I’ll be reduced to a quivering mass of fanboyism. This is awesome.

2. juego de tronos
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Super! I like so much Dunk & Egg stories

3. Obosi
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

The more the better I say!

Now release the trailer you heartless fuckers!!!

4. Aziraphale
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Tuf Voyaging? Oooo. Just been re-released too. It’s one of the next few books I plan to read. I’m a sucker for space opera! :D

5. Adam
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Am I the only one a little worried that GRRM, a professional author, write “equivilent” in the comment WiC linked to? :D

6. Adam
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Also it’s interesting that he notes Robert’s Rebellion “is part of Ice & Fire, won’t be a separate series.” That’s phrasing which could mean it’s been discussed and is considered a real possibility.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the idea of doing a season or two of that came up during discussions about what to do if/when the series catches up to George’s writing.

7. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

“Conleth Hill for Haviland Tuf” can now join “Ron Donachie for Abner Marsh” in the GRRM non-ASoIaF casting polls as the best idea ever :)

8. Patchy Face
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Can’t believe this will ever happen…WAAAAAY too good to be true!

9. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Hmmm…
    How is that Sandkings’ rights are “gone”? Isn’t it his short story? It’s been decades since “The Outer Limits” kind of adapted it, so…can’t he make it happen again with HBO?
    Also, as much as I’d like to see “Dunk & Egg”, I’d much rather see an adaptation of “Fevre Dream”, I wonder if its being discussed. Or perhaps “Armageddon Rag”, even though I doubt it could reach the same success of “Ice & Fire”.

I wonder if Robert Rebellion will be eventually filmed.

10. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

This is not going to happen. If it did, it would kill the GAME OF THRONES series stone dead.

When HBO catch up to GRRM, they will overtake him and use his notes and outlines to plot out the end of the series. GRRM will still be writing an episode per season, and may expand his involvement to bring the story to a conclusion (and I hope D&D would let him write the last episode of the series in that case).

But the series isn’t going on hold for two years or whatever. The cast would split to the winds to pursue other projects and HBO would never be able to get them all back together again (this is why the proposed DEADWOOD TV movies to wrap up the series never materialised). Not to mention the issues with the kids’ aging as well. If there is a DUNK AND EGG series, it will either run alongside GAME OF THRONES as a separate series, or after it as its replacement. It will not be used as a stopgap. Neither will a ‘Robert’s Rebellion’ flashback season (a flashback episode, sure, but not a whole season).

11. kanjisheik
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:

Frak yeah!

12. Adam
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Yeah, all good points and all totally possible, but I don’t see GRRM finishing the book series he’s worked on since the mid-90s in the form of TV episodes (even if a book does come out later). But that’s probably as much me being hopeful as anything else.

13. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Certainly this is not GRRM’s preference. He’s always said – over-optimistically I think – that he will finish the books ahead of the TV show. I think we’re reaching the point where it’s very clear that this is now all but impossible, and GRRM and HBO will have to adjust to that. Fortunately, we’ve known about D&D having the notes and possible rough outlines for a while now, so at least it’s a possibility that they’ve accounted for.

14. MedievalFantasy
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Have not read Dunk and Egg yet. I’m waiting for the collection of them in one book that GRRM said would be released some time. Don’t really care for the other stories by the other authors in those anthology books. They look really good, and if they get adapted, that would be superb.

15. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

So Dunk&Egg could be to Game of Thrones, what The Hobbit is to Lord of the Rings. or maybe Robert’s Rebellion should take that place..

16. Kyrenna
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Keeping fingers crossed that a Dunk and Egg series will actually happen. Loved the chemistry between those two, and the handful of stories there are now could be easily expanded upon within the framework of ‘young prince learns ways of the world from commoner ish good guy’ (and vice versa) they all tie into anyways.

Oh wait. Opening post says film. Blah. Film will be good, too :)

Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Kyrenna:

Oh wait. Opening post says film. Blah. Film will be good, too :)

Well that is just my opinion on how best to adapt them, simply because each tale is its own self-contained story and they are short enough to work as a 2-hour movie. But I will take a series too!

18. The Bear
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I’m relatively new to GRRM. Just read the entire series last year.

How does a man get a hold of the Dunk & Egg stories? I’m anxious to read them.

19. Villane
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

They are going to film Robert’s Rebellion and it’s going to be in Season 4. Mark my words! #greenseer

20. SourBillyTipton
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Have to admit it’s pretty cool to see a story on here created from a question I asked. When he said D&E was being discussed I knew I got some big news out of him.

21. Hounded
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I’ve never read Dunk & Egg. Are they any good? Sounds like a lazy spin-off of ASOIAF to me…

22. Me Loves Jaime
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

The Bear:
    I’m relatively new to GRRM. Just read the entire series last year.

How does a man get a hold of the Dunk & Egg stories? I’m anxious to read them.

If you have an e-reader you can find them on any of the main torrent sites and download for free.

Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

The Bear:
    I’m relatively new to GRRM. Just read the entire series last year.

How does a man get a hold of the Dunk & Egg stories? I’m anxious to read them.

You need to get a hold of these three books Legends, Legends II and Warriors. Each of those anthologies has a Dunk & Egg story. Read them in that order.

Hounded:

Yes, very good. Definitely not a lazy spin-off. Some of the events talked about and characters we meet in the D&E stories are becoming increasingly important in the latter ASOIAF books.

24. Hounded
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Okay I will give them read once I’m done re-reading Dance with Dragons. Might make the wait till Winds of Winter that bit shorter…

25. Jentario
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm,

The Bear:
    I’m relatively new to GRRM. Just read the entire series last year.

How does a man get a hold of the Dunk & Egg stories? I’m anxious to read them.

They’re sold as one part of a massive anthology written by a variety of authors (the anthologies- Legends, Legends II and Warriors) but I am personally waiting for an edition that has all the existing Dunk & Egg stories in one book (not an anthology) which is set to come out this year.

Like you, I’ve read the whole ASoIaF series across this summer and I thought that if I’m going to wait another 3 years for The Winds of Winter, I might as well take my time with Dunk & Egg to make the time pass.

26. spacechampion
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

In the stories, GRRM has skipped over D&E’s trip to Dorne. Perhaps in a TV series we could get it?

27. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Frankly, I consider THE HEDGE KNIGHT (the first of the D&E stories) to be the best bit of ASoIaF published so far. It got a lot of people hooked into the series when it was first published in the LEGENDS anthology way back in 1998.

That book is now not due until late 2014. It’s also still up in the air if the fourth DUNK AND EGG story (which is already partially written) will be part of it or not.

28. spacechampion
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Hounded:
    Winter Is Coming,

Is this the UK equivalent?

That appears to be it, though just 5 out of the few dozen stories in the original hardcover anthology. The salient point though, is that it has the first Dunk & Egg story, “The Hedge Knight”.

In paperback it is usually published in two volumes Legends vol 1 and vol 2. “The Hedge Knight” was in volume 2.

Do not confuse Legends volume 2 with Legends II (I think also published in a volume 1 and 2). Those are entirely different sets of stories. Legends II has the 2nd Dunk & Egg story, “The Sworn Sword”.

29. MedievalFantasy
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I think while GoT is absent from June to April, they could air Dunk and Egg to fill the void. Maybe start it in September, have it run to December.

30. azad injejikian
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Robert’s Rebellion was an interesting inclusion in this list…

Spartacus had a mini prequel season called “Gods of the Arena” . Why not GoT?

If GRRM is delayed in delivering book 7, it would make a good “buffer season” where a lot of the history, the rebellion,and “Tower of Joy” could play out rather than flashbacks or sexpostion. And it would buy George some time :)

Just an idea.

31. mags giantsbabe
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Robert’s rebellion as part of the series of aGoT could and would also work not only as well-placed and carefully thought-out flashbacks (starting soon I hope), but also as references and stories told of the past by characters like in the books, like ser Barristan Selmy in aDwD. Didn’t George also say last year at a Con that David and Dan will need to start showing/ refering to Raegar, Lyanna and Robert some time or later?

32. Tom
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

How bout Aegon’s Conquest

33. Faver
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

The Wire had long breaks for its last two seasons (2002-2004, 2006, 2008) so maybe when the time comes they will slow down production. Or go with a prequel, though I doubt it would be of Robert’s Rebellion, it might reveal way too much.
    Any of those options would kill the show’s momentum though, and I don’t think it would recover the audience. And given its budget, I doubt HBO would tolerate ratings as low as The Wire’s.

34. stevelabny
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Dunk and Egg stuff is fine. But I’d really really really really really really really prefer to see Tuf Voyaging on screen.

Tuf is awesome.

And if you haven’t read it, you should.

35. Meg
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

HBO needs an awesome scifi series. I vote for Tuf.
    ((But I’d really rather see Red Mars or Hyperion as a series!))

36. SourBillyTipton
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

More news from GRRM from his NotaBlog. When asked about Wildcards and Fevre Dream he commented.

“Ron Donachie would make a great Abner Marsh… but we’re still trying to sell FEVRE DREAM as a feature film, not as a tv movie or miniseries. And there is a certain Big Name Director who has expressed interest… if he commits…

But I have said too much. One should never talk about these things until contracts are signed. Preferably in blood.

The WILD CARDS contracts have been signed, however. That one predates my HBO deal. Melinda Snodgrass has just delivered the first draft of her screenplay to SyFy Films, which is a partnership between Universal Pictures and the SyFy Channel. It is a feature film script, not a television pilot. So cross your fingers, kiddies.”

37. JackSparrow
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: You need to get a hold of these three books Legends, Legends II and Warriors.Each of those anthologies has a Dunk & Egg story. Read them in that order.

A lot of people point toward ‘Legends’ as the place to get the first ‘Dunk & Egg’ story, but I’d just like to add that it has also been published in Martin’s anthology ‘Dreamsongs’, which is an excellent collection of his short stories and novellas. IMO, some of those stories, like ‘Sandings’ and ‘The Ice Dragon’ are up there with the best stuff he’s written (‘The Way of Cross & Dragon’, ‘Bitterblooms’, ‘The Monkey Treatment’, ‘Unsound Variations’, ‘In the Lost Lands’, ‘The Glass Flower’ and others are pretty cool too; probably my favorite GRRM short story is ‘In the House of the Worm’, but that didn’t make it into the anthology for some reason, but it is available for purchase on kindle). If you look to buy ‘Dreamsongs’ or find it at a library, keep in mind that is has been published as one volume but also split into two.

38. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

THE WIRE was able to do this because the majority of its actors were local Baltimore theatre players, if not amateurs altogether. It was relatively straightforward to get them back together for the latter two seasons. They really only needed to put half a dozen actors or so on a retainer to do the job. DEADWOOD – and GoT for that matter – could not because its entire cast is made up of professional actors who would get other work in the meantime, reducing or eliminating their availability for the show.

Any long delay in production, certainly giving the cast a season or two off, will result in GAME OF THRONES being cancelled because it becomes unfeasible to remount it.

39. Steven Swanson
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Adam:

That’s why professional authors hire professional proofreaders.

40. Steven Swanson
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

MedievalFantasy:

You can generally get them at the public library if you don’t want to buy them. And I own the Warriors anthology, and can tell you that most of the stories are good, some excellent. The Dunk and Egg story was probably not even my favorite.

41. Ash
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Don’t care
    Finish winds of winter & dream of spring any minutes even discussing anything else is time wasted

42. braster
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Pretty sure HBO wants to keep the show going for at least a few more seasons, but well aware that if Winds of Winter isn’t finished by the time HBO airs season 5 (assuming 6 would then be in development) keeping the show running would be nigh impossible. Since such outcome is probable, they’re probably looking to do a deal with Martin where they’d release each Dunk&Egg as miniseries or even films for 3 years, so as to give Martin time to finish up writing and then restart the series. My take is that they are likely gonna finish up Game of Thrones with season 4 (End of ASOS) and then do that D&E break. Would make sense – almost the “generation gap” Martin planned to do initially with the books. Maybe it will see a realisation on the TV.

43. Faver
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

I agree, that’s why I don’t think they could go that route without killing the show.

44. Robbb
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Tom,

Would love to see Aegons conquest…great idea

45. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

The Sopranos had an 18 month hiatus between seasons 3 & 4 and a nearly 2 year hiatus between seasons 5 & 6. If GOT knew when the actors would be needed for filming, then I’m sure the actors could clear their schedules a year in advance. It’s not like any of them have anything bigger on their plates.

46. Dave
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m optimistic, but it’s still possible all the books are done by 2017. Once he finishes Winds of Winter, a Dream of Spring should (theoretically) be less time to write as he likely has the ending(s) already in mind. Whether or not it happens, who knows, but I don’t think he’s trying to amp people up by releasing chapters if he’s given up on the books.

47. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

But if they do Dunk and Egg, then Egg whould become Aerys “the Mad king” Targaryen’s father… because the tv show made it so. that whould be awesome, for people to realise that Egg is Daenerys’s gradfather.

Plus, we can see a young Aemon, and Bloodreaven, for continuity… and future continuity.. I can only Imagine the shock when people see that the three eyed crow is ..him.

48. Brian
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

I don’t believe there’s any indication they have had “notes and outlines” at all. All he has told them is the very end of the story in very broad strokes, nothing else exists in note form – he’s very open that it’s all only in his head.

49. Zack
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I haven’t read them, so keep that in mind when reading this, but wouldn’t the Dunk & Egg books be best suited to something like a miniseries?

It’s 4 (?) mini-stories, each could probably be told in 2 hours or so, that are closely related, if not directly sequential in nature, right?

I’d do a single 8-10 hour miniseries. It doesn’t need to be a full television season for each of the tales, does it?

50. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Zack,

well, GoT itself has 10 h per season almost. I think a 90 min per story would be sufficient. A three parts mini series, 4 and a half hours? good enough.

51. Nezzer
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Zack,

I don’t know if a 2 hour film would be enough. I think each story should be a miniseason of 3-5 episodes each.

52. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Only if they adapt the extant stories.

The Dunk and Egg stories, though nominally self-contained, do have an over-arcing storyline. GRRM has said he plans to write between 9 and 12 of the stories, and fans have guessed that the last one will be called SUMMERHALL, as Dunk and Egg’s story concludes on the night of the great fire there (at the same time that Rhaegar Targaryen is born).

On that basis, I can see HBO adapating D&E as a fully-fledged GoT spin-off show, spanning several seasons with a story arc that begins with THE HEDGE KNIGHT and ends 50 years later at Summerhall, with years or even decades elapsing between seasons. I can see GRRM writing one episode per season again, but it mostly being the work of a new writing team.

53. Lexyvil
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I never read D&E, though I think it would serve as a great television series while we wait for the Winds of Winter to be published and hopefully adapted… Even if the chances are low.

54. Darquemode
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

I’m glad GRRM put an end to Robert’s Rebellion rumors honestly. The conclusion of that would likely include the mysterious and vital Tower of Joy scene that would spoil any official reveal of Jon Snow’s parentage in future ASOIAF books. Although it would be some great TV I’m sure!

Dunk & Egg would be fab!
    I think the material is definitely suited towards a movie or maybe a 2-part mini-series that is like 180 0r 240 minutes total run time.

My two cents on HBO catching up or passing GRRM’s books….
    I do not doubt for a minute that in a few seasons (some time after Season 6) Game of Thrones could move from a Spring premiere to a Summer or even a Fall premiere to allow another 3 or 6 months to pass before the next season. Some of the final books could have some epic battles requiring more lag time to deal with pre-production and post-production and that shift from a Spring premiere to Fall or Winter premiere would allow for that as well as more time for GRRM to complete the needed future installment.

Showtime just did something similar with Dexter moving from the traditional Fall premiere to a Summer premiere for Season 8….

If HBO is aware ahead of time that the hiatus between seasons will be a bit longer I think they would be able to get the required actors under contract or at least to clear the needed time on their schedules. I see that as a one-time worst case scenario event though.

55. sunspear
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

They’d never do a Robert’s Rebellion prequel. Too many spoilers for the main story.

56. Zack
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Wow, that sounds really interesting!

57. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I read the first Dunk & Egg story years ago and thought it was rather boring. Maybe I should try again?

58. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

What if the mystery surrounding Rhaegar and Lyanna is dealt with in ‘TWOW’? Lets say we learn of it through Bran’s tree vision. Then, and only then, would a Robert’s Rebellion prequel work, if it was filmed to give GRRM more time to finish ‘ADOS’.

59. Fred Mertz
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Adam,

I just finished Feast For Crows, I can would guess there is no way to make a watchable season of television from it. Not that it’s bad — just not necessarily filmable as compelling television. So maybe we get a season 5 that includes Robert’s Rebellion in flashback….

60. AdrianAegon
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

My belief is that R+L=J will be revealed in TWOW (Howland Reed may finally enter on stage), and ADOS will deal with that revelation and the fight, I mean, the song of ice and fire.

61. Kai Alexis Price
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I would much rather see HBO add something like Tuf Voyaging rather than Dunk & Egg while they are still doing Game Of Thrones. Too much risk of jumping the shark and never finishing GOT if they do D&E now.

62. Me Loves Jaime
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead: Only if they adapt the extant stories.

Are you for real?

There is 0% chance of HBO doing a Dunk and Egg spin off series. Because unless you’re a deeply interested mega fan like us it is boring and will appear so to whoever at that channel commissions shows… I doubt GRRM even wants to do such a series.

63. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Fred Mertz,

‘A Feast for Crows’ and ‘A Dance With Dragons’ will be combined, as the events of both books take place concurrently.

64. Patchy Face
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Fred Mertz,

I would reserve that judgement until after reading ADWD. Runs concurrently with AFFC and there is plenty of story there to film with both.

65. The_Rabbit
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

All of it I find very interesting. I would glad to see The Dunk and Egg stories on the screen (big or small whatever).
    Though I must be honest I am bit worried about the GOT after S4 – it would be great shame not to see the end of the series on TV (with “end” I mean the real ASOIAF end still in GRRMs head for now).
    S5 is still looking probable and I think it would not be so bad at the end with mixture of the Feast and ADWD. But definitely it would be tough job to write it down as show for the producers.

66. a dude
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Fred Mertz,

They are going to combine Feast For Crows with Dance With Dragons, making what I believe will be two of the darkest, most complex seasons a TV has ever seen. The depths of character development and worldbuilding in these two books is nothing less than stounding. If the people behind the show are smart enough to embrace that instead of continuing their current theme of violance + sex everywhere (even when it’s not apropriate and just gets in the way of the plot), they have some very special source metirial to work with.

Although, seeing how they spoofed Dany’s story in “Clash of Kings” and replaced it with a stuipd story about how Quarth was overturned by that random black guy and the council of sorcerers, that might not happen.

67. The mighty hodor
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The Bear,

I know some guy told you to just download them, but do your self a favor and buy them, support the author rather then being a wanker and downloading them off torrent sites!

68. Leuf
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Dunk and Egg could follow GoT, if GoT goes out strong and the public is left wanting for more. Trying to use the material to stall for GoT would just be a disaster for everyone involved.

69. Me Loves Jaime
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

To be fair to the cry baby a post or two above me, the other authors who have novellas in the anthologies could well be more deserving and requiring of your money than George RR Martin is.

Indeed I’ve read elsewhere they’ve been messed about by him and his slowness just like we have.

Still, ASOIAF fans shouldn’t have to buy a big and expensive anthology they don’t want to be able to read Dunk and Egg, so yeah, download.

70. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Me Loves Jaime,

“There is 0% chance of HBO doing a Dunk and Egg spin off series. Because unless you’re a deeply interested mega fan like us it is boring and will appear so to whoever at that channel commissions shows”

There is clearly some chance of HBO doing Dunk and Egg in some format, be that series or TV movie or whatever. If there was not, HBO would not be talking to GRRM about it in the first place and Vince Gerardis would not have brought the subject up last year.

“I doubt GRRM even wants to do such a series.”

On his blog, GRRM just said that he wants to do such a series.

“I’d also put the chances of getting another 6-9 D+E at 0%. He recently said he’s given up on book 4 indefinitely so we’ll be lucky to get even that.”

Given it’s taken us 15 years for us to get just the three short stories that exist now, I also put the chances of us getting the others in any kind of rapid timescale at 0%. However, the benefit of the TV series approach is that it removes the need from GRRM to write them. He can write an episode a year instead (maybe adapting them once ASoIaF is done) and let others get on with it. The D&E stories, whilst fun, are optional extras at best when compared to the novels.

71. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

The Dunk & Egg stories are much more traditional and easy to follow compared to ASOIAF novels. They could easily be a few mini-series and find an audience.

72. Lazlo Woodbine
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Maybe HBO will give George his own Twilight Zone/Outer Limits style series. With his imagination, and all the short stories he’s already written they could produce no end of classic one off programmes.

I know quite a few of his stories have already been used in these shows, but it’d be good to see new ones done with HBOs high production values.

73. kevin
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Dave,

That’s what I also think. GRRM always waits till he finished about a part of the next book, so he can be sure that everything that needs to be in a certain book, is in that book. (He finished about 200 pages from WoW before DwD was released). So that means that if he published WoW that he already has finished a part of DoS).
    He also mentioned that he thinks that WoW will be published in 2014. That means 3 years between DwD and WoW. That means that probably will finish the last book in 2017. That means around the time of season 7.
    How I think what will happen in every season:
    season 3: 2/3 of SoS.
    Season 4: finishing SoS. around 1/6 of FfC and 1/6 of DwD: DaD (part 1)
    Season 5: Finishing FfC and DwD: DaD (part 1)
    Season 6: Finishing DaD: AtF (part 2) and a start with WoW. (two big Battles wil I think be shown)
    Season 7: Probably finishing 2/3 of WoW because GRRM has said that WoW and DoS will both have the amount of pages as SoS and DwD.
    Season 8: finishing WoW and 1/3 of DwS. (DwS is already be published)
    Season 9: Finishing the series.

A other way to look at how many season the show will have roughly is just look at the amount of pages they put to screen in 2 seasons. That’s roughly 700 pages for book 1 and 770 pages for book 2. 1470 pages for 2 season. So roughly 750 pages per season. (I look at the US version)
    If Wow and DoS will have the amount of DwD it will contain about
    The books together will have a page amount of 6500 pages. Is roughly 8 to 9 seasons.

I think that Roberts Rebellion will not be show before season 6, because this episode will reveal the truth about Little Griff, and it would be a shame if that will be revealed before it is necessary to be revealed.

So I think that GRRM will certainly finished the books before the last season airs.

And about DaE stories put to movies. This is amazing. I hope that they make the whole DaE stories in about 3 a 4 movies (I mean 1 book is roughly 1 hour tops on screen.

74. The DarkStar
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

A Tuf voyaging series would be the greatest thing TV has ever had.

75. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

“Robert’s Rebellion” as a prequel series always seemed like a pipe dream to me. They couldn’t show all those events without ruining the mystery that drives ASOIAF.

76. Eric
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Maybe HBO is interested in re-entering a Tales From the Crypt style of a show. I could see GRRM collaborating with other Horror/Science Fiction authors to put togother cool one hour stories like he has done before. His new deal with HBO could just mean he’s producing from a top-level standpoint and not adapting his own past and current work.

77. SourBillyTipton
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Eric,

I was just thinking about that. I’ve always wanted a new version if Tales from the Crypt. Was a great anthology series.

There was another anthology series on HBO called The Hitchhiker. It was before my time but HBO made an episode out if GRRM’s short story REMEMBERING MELODY.

78. WildSeed
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

stevelabny:
    Dunk and Egg stuff is fine. ButI’d really really really really really really really prefer to see Tuf Voyaging on screen.

Tuf is awesome.

And if you haven’t read it, you should.

Nigel Tuf-nel of Spinal Tap fame ? No. please.. no I haven’t read GRRM’s Tuf
    series or character as yet, although some here have recommended it as you have.
    I plan to read these a soon as my other projects are done :D

79. WildSeed
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

SourBillyTipton,

thanks for the updates, I haven’t visited the Blog recently. GRRM has been
    very busy negotiating as of late, all that football chatter was just to give
    him a break from the world of suits *>*

80. JamesL
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I would prefer a different type of genre TV show created by GRRM for HBO than another Westeros one.

81. SourBillyTipton
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

No problem. It’s always cool when George answers one of my questions but this nearly had me doing handstands since it was actually breaking news worthy.

82. Dave Brownell
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Im not even fucking kidding you guys!!! I posted to facebook on Friday stating that i just started reading the storie of Dunk and Egg, and said they would make excellent movies to be released in between the seasons! And now i see that its a possibility now!!!!!! So blood excited XDXDXD

83. dizzy
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Heck yes to Dunk and Egg!

84. rcazzy
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I would love this if they made the episodes akin to Sherlock’s hour and a half/two hours format.

Ian Whyte would fit Dunk’s description so that’s one actor easy to procure if anything!

85. DavosFTW!
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

The story of the Hedge Knight is a worry to make a movie of I think. It’s really really similar in storyline to A Knights Tale.

86. SourBillyTipton
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

DavosFTW!,

Dude you’re right except for the total fact that The Hedge Knight doesn’t suck.

87. D Richard
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I always imagined Robert’s Rebellion as an epic film in the Ridley Scott style. After GRRM finishes the novels, or at least reveals all the mysteries that a re-telling of the fall of Aerys would entail, a gritty medieval epic with a young cast that film execs could get behind, would be my preferred medium for that tale.

88. pntrlqst
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink
  89. Spryte
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Season 3 preview!! askdnhafdgag!
    edit: Oh fine, got beaten to it by like 10 seconds. Pretty awesome though, everyone looks so scarred and battle-worn

90. Raztt
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Permalink
  91. Crozyr
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Is this actualy a quote from the books? Regardless, color me hyped. Gleeson looks vicious :)

92. Darquemode
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

pntrlqst,

Love seeing Rory McCann’s Sandor as one of the featured actors in the tease, but I think the smirk from Dinklage is what killed me! XD

93. Syrio
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Who cares about Tuf Voyaging, it’s all about Dunk and Egg for me.

94. Baramos
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Dunk and Egg films or miniseries would be spectacular.

95. Darquemode
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

rcazzy,

He may be “only” 6-8, but I think Daniel Cudmore would make a brilliant Dunk! He’s still young enough to play the early Dunk and muscular enough to look the part too…
    Just look at this photo compared to some of the Dunk & Egg artwork.

96. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 11, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Ash:
    Don’t care

Yep, what he said. Get ‘er done, Martin!

97. Zachariah Wiedeman
    Posted February 12, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Didn’t they already do a “Dunk & Egg” movie…? I think it was called “A Knight’s Tale” ;)

98. Rhaegar
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Me Loves Jaime: I’d also put the chances of getting another 6-9 D+E at 0%. He recently said he’s given up on book 4 indefinitely so we’ll be lucky to get even that.

Do you have any source for “having given up indefinitely” on #4? I feel like you are making this up as I can locate NO evidence to support it.

99. wargsareawesome
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Alright, let’s start casting! I WANT TO SEE BLOODRAVEN!!!!!

100. LordNoga1981
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I see it like this. Since the show will eventually catch up to the books, they can and most likely will put out a season as Roberts Rebellion and maybe another as Dunk & Egg. Something to keep the show going while we wait for him to write. Could be a lot of seasons for this series.

101. Halfhand
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Me Loves Jaime,

No. Don’t download. Buy. Rationalise as much as you like. Theft is theft.

102. nathan
    Posted May 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Andrew,

Oh, you will see the three eyed raven

103. Chickenduck
    Posted May 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Adam:

Not worth worrying about. I’m a teacher – I can tell you from experience you get plenty of people who write brilliant stories and powerful essays despite having a few spelling mistakes!

And then on the flipside , you get people who spell everything correctly and get uptight about “perfect” grammar, but write incredibly boring stuff.

If you’re really lucky, you get a few people who can do both… but to be honest, if it’s one or the other, I’d prefer an interesting author who sometimes spells things wrong.