GRRM takes the Black
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing.

George R. R. Martin is now a member of the Night’s Watch. (Sort of.) Have you taken the Oath yet?

Martin wasn’t the only one to get in on the oath-taking action. Check out these folks as well:

Alone:
Jason Yang
John Bradley
Sophie Turner

With Full Chorus:
Jason Yang
John Bradley
Sophie Turner
George RR Martin

In related news, HBO has released a bit more info about the #TakeTheBlack event on Feb. 18 in New York City. It is a midnight release for Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season that will take place at the Best Buy Union Square. The event will include:

• Food of the Seven Kingdoms from the Inn at the Crossroads
  • Westerosi music performed live by Jason Yang
  • Live creation of a direwolf ice sculpture
  • Props and costumes from the show
  • Don a Night’s Watch cloak and #TakeTheBlack
  • Giveaways and prizes

Winter Is Coming: Sounds like a fun party! Wish I could go, but unfortunately, real life is getting in the way. Anyone here planning on attending?

1. kindly man
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

First!!

Sounds so fun. Foods of westeros… That would be really nice

A shame there are no european events. Or does someone know any events in europe

Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Nice details! The cookbook girls, and Jason Yang …
    Wish I was still in the States :)

3. Dave
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Is it free? Does one have to make a purchase? I’d go if the answer to both is no, as I don’t plan on buying the DVD until the end of the month.

4. Dark Star
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Oh, I wish I could go. Just a 10 hour drive up I-95. Maybe…………….

And, FYI, the Honeyed Chicken recipe from the Inn at the Crossroads cookbook is soooooooo good and super easy to make. The recipe is available online at their website.

5. Kevin
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

hmmm, Union Square is on my way home from work…

6. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I’m so jealous of Americans, everything cool happens over there :(

7. Bunny Way
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Sweet Jesus, I thought the headline meant he quit writing or something!

Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

kindly man:
    First!!

Sounds so fun. Foods of westeros… That would be really nice

A shame there are no european events. Or does someone know any events in europe

Nick_Scryer:
    I’m so jealous of Americans, everything cool happens over there :(

You Europeans have cons and other events with actual cast members in attendance. (SDCC doesn’t count since it is a madhouse, nearly impossible to get in and you can’t actually get any face time with the actors.) I’d take that over a midnight release any day.

9. Kevin
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

but I just realized Monday is a national holiday, so I won’t be going to work. and midnight is late, considering I wake up at 6am

10. Florencia
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I wish I could go!! I live so far away!
    Season 3 hurry up

11. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

For some reason, we’re not getting it until 4 March this year (whilst last year we actually got it a day before the US, IIRC). Haven’t seen any sign of a UK launch event yet.

12. ACVG
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

why is it sooooooooooooo late???? i live in nyc and it would be no problem to get there and i actually want to buy the dvd and eat food from the thrice damned crossroad inn, but its soooooooooooo late im tucked in bed by that time

13. mags giantsbabe
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Nice, wish I could be there. Hope everyone who goes enjoys it :D

14. Wolfheart
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

If any fans are at the event at the Best Buy Union Square; make sure you take some photos of the creation of the direwolf ice sculpture for the rest of us around the nation to see. And hastily post them!

15. Sky Aero
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Ugh, such events are always in the UK or Germany. Nothing in The Netherlands unfortunately :(

16. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

A real PITA being that late at night. I’m in NJ and the last bus back from Port Authority is 11:30, so it means a drive into the city and expensive parking, then home at an insane hour of the early morning. Great if you can get home on the subway; for the Bridge And Tunnel Crowd…not so much.

17. Steve Coulson
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

@SerOsis the event starts earlier in the evening, so you could come along and see the ice sculpture, do the videobooth hear Jason Yang perform etc and still catch that last bus back. You just wouldn’t be able to buy the DVD at midnight (which is when it goes on sale)

18. Jenn
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know what time exactly the event starts?

19. Grijnwaald
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

And luckily, I live really close to a few cast members too!

20. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

If there is a UK launch event as cool as this one, then I’m going to it, regardless of the fact I found season 2 a bit disappointing.

Needless to say, the launch of next book will be a launch party I hope to never forget.

21. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Sounds like fun, but as Ser Liver mentioned, an expensive proposition if one doesn’t live in “the City” and can’t get there on public transportation (subway or bus). Also cold and uncomfortable at this time of year to be possibly standing outside in a mob in the freezing cold. So this woman does not plan to attend. Hopefully we will get multiple reports and perhaps even some video and photos from some NYC fans? There will probably also be multiple professional photographers there, somebody will report on the event most likely.

22. Isabelle
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Arg! I’m on the west coast right now, but will be returning to the east the week after! Arg arg arg! This sounds like such a brilliant event!

23. Malcatraz
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

I’m totally going! I live around the corner. Not sure if I’ll be able to convince my friends, though :(

24. WildSeed
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

The Direwolf Ice Sculpture would be awesome to see, and a great contest for
    novice sculptors. Ahh, the food of the Seven Kingdoms…..nice , and Dornish
    ale and Arbor Gold to wash it down. Why was the Big Apple chosen over other
    New England cities ? Still, not a bad choice and venue *>*

25. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

WildSeed: Why was the Big Apple chosen over other New England cities ? *>*

Perhaps because HBO’s HQ is on 6th Ave. in NYC?

26. KG
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

I did my oath.

27. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Jenn:
    Does anyone know what time exactly the event starts?

I may also blow the horn four times just to confuse everyone.

28. TheNed
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

It hurts a little to hear GRRM read the abridged oath. You’d think they’d at least let him of all people use the book version.

29. cozmeesah
    Posted February 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I’ll be there. Will try and get some pix if I can.

30. PrinceTheon
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Anyone else think they’ll end up using this “chorus” in an upcoming trailer? Most likely not the first one, but I think they may.

31. AddyStark
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Sounds like fun, but a long drive from Montana! Besides, I have to be home Tuesday morning when my Season 2 DVD is delivered!

32. Skyofwelkup
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 2:30 am | Permalink

I’m confused. When we record are we meant to follow the indicators of the on-screen words, or are we supposed to sync with the background voice of Jon Snow? Does it even matter as long as the flow is right?
    Is the voice over and on-screen prompt supposed to be in sync? My computer is a pos and I’m wondering if there’s lag.

33. Adam
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 4:45 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

Why was the Big Apple chosen over other New England cities ? *>*

Which cities? Hartford? Manchester? Pittsfield? ;)

34. Roger König
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 7:33 am | Permalink

John Bradley doesnt sound anything like Sam.. Well done :)

35. KG
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer:
    I’m so jealous of Americans, everything cool happens over there :(

Not really. We get no conventions with the stars, and if you don’t live in New York or L. A., y ou don’t even get the promo crap like this.

36. David
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if this has been stated but I just saw the first commercial for Season 2 Blu Ray during the Americans on FX. Also Best Buy is now selling Season 2 for $35 again like last year. Just purchased the Lannister cover.

37. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

David,

Yeah, the commercial is airing on ESPN too. BTW, I am really enjoying ‘The Americans’. Great new show.

38. Justin Tran
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Whenever the chorus pronounces an “S” sound, I wince.

39. Udi
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Thought about taking the Oath…
    Then remembered… no women
    &*&#%^#$%& that!

40. WildSeed
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver: If it’s truly an evening event and not late-night I intend to be there, first supping upon a fine plate of slow cooked brisket of aurochs (cooked in the fashion of Oldtown and other southern lands) and many and more frosted ales at a pot shop called Hill Country, on West. 26th St. And whilst digging for buried treasure nearby might also be fun, I hear the transit authority is somewhat unfriendly to such behaviour and the gold cloaks may take objection as well :) I would welcome the company of other sworn brothers (and sisters) of the watch, of course!

I may also blow the horn four times just to confuse everyone.

You must record the event ,mate ! Have a swell time *>*

At least California gets the Comic Con events…….if one is lucky enough to score
    a ticket pass .

41. Tommy O
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

IM GOING!

42. WildSeed
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Udi:
    Thought about taking the Oath…
    Then remembered… no women
    &*&#%^#$%& that!

Too bad, I’d fight Wights any day ! Yet I’d skip the US military, sorry.

In California, we have actor Steven Seagal to train us females, if there is
    a Zombie Apolcalyse. We’re covered *>*

43. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Udi:
    Thought about taking the Oath…
    Then remembered… no women

Not necessarily. It says “take no wife” not “be celibate,” as many a working girl in Mole’s Town would likely attest to when the lads come digging for buried treasure. Even Lord Commander Mormont indicated that they’d not be nicking anybody’s head for a dalliance.

44. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

WildSeed: You must record the event ,mate ! Have a swell time*>*

I wish I could record it; sadly I don’t own a video camera but I will have my little shirt-pocket camera to grab some stills, when possible. You can’t miss me…I’ll be dressed all in black :)

45. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

Out of interest, who?

46. cabbo
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I AM THE HORN THAT WAKES THE F***ING SLEEPERS!

47. Luana
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Hmm, chorus sounds like The Borg.