Details on Take the Black event in NYC
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing.

Take the BlackHBO has provided some more details on the Take the Black event in New York City. The event is going down at the Best Buy in Union Square and is set to start at 8:00 PM on February 18. As we mentioned earlier, there will be food and music and costumes and direwolf ice sculptures. The first 300 fans in line will get a Game of Thrones goodie bag. At midnight, the doors will open and the second season box set will be on sale. Check the press release after the break for all the full details.

HBO® Launches Game of Thrones®:The Complete Second Season with a Best Buy® Fan Event Featuring Food, Music, Giveaways & More

Monday, February 18, 2013
8:00 p.m. / Best Buy Union Square Store, New York

WHAT:

HBO is celebrating the release of Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season with a launch event fit for the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros!

Fans looking to be the first to own the set can take part in a unique launch event at the Best Buy Union Square store.

The fan line begins at 8:00pm and as consumers wait to enter the store, they will be serenaded by musician Jason Yang playing songs from the Game of Thrones soundtrack including the violin cover of the show’s theme song which catapulted him to Internet notoriety, and partake in delicious food, including mini-chicken pies, pease porridge and oatcakes with jam and cheese, inspired by the show and cooked by Inn at the Crossroads (the foremost blog and cookbook showcasing offerings of the book and series), while watching the creation of a life-sized Direwolf ice sculpture.

When consumers enter the store (at 12:00am), they will find it fully decorated with banners, sigils, props, costumes and set photographs from the show. They will then have a chance to don a replica Night Watchman’s coat and “Take the Black” by reciting the Night’s Watch oath, which they can share via Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

The first 300 attendees* will be given a gift bag with Game of Thrones cookies by Eleni’s and a sigil scarf. Attendees are highly encouraged to share their experience via social media.

*The first 300 persons at the Best Buy Union Square store on Monday, February 18, 2013 starting at 8pm EST receive one (1) wristband to receive a free gift bag. Wristbands are limited in quantity and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Limit one (1) wristband per person, while supplies last. Not responsible for lost, mutilated or stolen wristbands.

Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season launches February 19th on Blu-ray with HBO Select ($79.98), DVD ($59.99) and Digital Download.

WHEN:

Monday, February 18, 2013

7:30 p.m. Media check-in

8:00 p.m. Fan Line & Entertainment Begins

12:00 a.m. In-Store Event Begins

WHERE:

Best Buy Union Square
52 East 14th St., NYC

1. Cat of the Cabals
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Once upon a time, In a galaxy far far away:(

2. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Would love to go! Hope lots of people do!

3. Iron Born
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

There are no ties in westerose…..I’m goin to this NYC place to rape and reave !! What is dead may never die….

4. Bunny Way
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Have fun storming the castle!

Oh wait…

5. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I live in NYC, but I’m not going to this; waiting on line and a lot of hype but….to be blunt, it attracts the “I cosplay as a character from an HBO show I watch” crowd, and less of the “I know who Duncan the Tall is, and smile thinking of Lord Jordayne of the Tor” crowd.

6. WildSeed
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

You’re probably correct on that, but what about the food and ice sculptures (?).
    There may be a few bonafide Nerds zeroing in on the relevant stuff though :D
    I suppose one may actually get great footage on YouTube or somewhere online too.

7. Randy
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands:

Yeah that would totally be truly terrible to have to suffer through.

8. feyrband
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Best Buy pre-order for the blu-ray finally went on sale for $34.99. the 1 item i buy from them each year now it looks like.

9. The Anchoress
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

HBO is certainly very conscious of the show’s online presence, very impressed they nabbed Inn at the Crossroads to cater. I’ll probably stop by for a little to gauge the festivities, but certainly not right up to the launch. Pre-orders Are Coming

10. MrsWun
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a lot of fun,but there’s no way I’d try to get in. Sounds like a crowd to rival Black (no pun intended) Friday will show.

11. ChristineMarie
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Who knew taking the black could be so festive?

I’ll show up if Jon Snow does. ;)

12. zob
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

OT: Episodes 21 and 22 appeared on HBO schedule (on their website) and they’re both set to be 57 minutes long.

13. Patchy Face
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

zob,

Do you mean 31 and 32 in March/Apr?

14. zob
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Patchy Face,

Nope, I really mean 21 and 22. “Valar Morghulis” was episode 20. ;-)

But, yeah, I’m talking about the first and second episodes of season 3.

15. Patchy Face
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 10:34 am | Permalink

zob,

Exciting. Having a very hard time waiting bit hope the DVDs will tide me over!

16. Lexyvil
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

If only I wasn’t so far away…

17. A Mad King
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Randy,

Randy: Yeah that would totally be truly terrible to have to suffer through.

Truly terrible and suffer? That’s what you got from that? That’s a bit of an absurd stretch

18. The mighty hodor
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I saw a ned stark cosplayer once, he was sipping a coffee on playing on his iPhone, totally ruined the immersion!

19. Randy
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

A Mad King,

I was being facetious.

What I “got from” it was a silly elitist statement about how fans who simply enjoy the show are somehow less desirable to be around than the people who have read the books, like some haughty old money looking down their nose at the uncouth nouveau riche.

And before anyone even suggests it, yes I’ve read all the books, including up through AFfC before the show ever even aired, so I get to be snooty old money too.

20. Abyss
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Short announcement by Jason Yang about the event.

21. Monica
    Posted February 17, 2013 at 12:21 am | Permalink

I wish I could go. Why not an event in LA?

22. soaponapope
    Posted February 17, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

i used to sometimes buy my weed at the park right there

23. Cheyenne
    Posted February 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I lived in NYC last year around this time of the year.. This makes me even sadder I moved away!

1. [...] of Thrones’! Today at 8p.m., the first three hundred fans who line up outside of the Union Square Best Buy in Manhattan will receive wristbands that allow entry to the Season 2 midnight release [...]

2. [...] of Thrones’! Today at 8p.m., the first three hundred fans who line up outside of the Union Square Best Buy in Manhattan will receive wristbands that allow entry to the Season 2 midnight release [...]