MGoT: How Season Three wrapped
By Hear Me Roar on in Filming, Production.

Another post is up on the Maing Game of Thrones blog. Cat Taylor wrote a piece on the last day of shooting in Iceland at the end of last year. Below are two central paragraphs, make sure to read the rest.

Credit: Helen Sloan

We have lost 7 minutes of light per day since arriving in Iceland. Winter is coming – and seems to be on a tight schedule – so every moment counts. It’s always hard to keep to time when you are also shooting a big stunt, something that has to be done right the first time, as there is no time to reset the scene (or in this case, the stunt). When that stunt also involves VFX, it’s even more important to get it right. Added to that, on the other side of base camp a small splinter unit with a single camera is filming some insert shots, so cast members are running between the two areas to make the best use of the day.

Finally, it’s time to film the big scene. Anything involving fire is always going to be one of the most dangerous things to shoot, and when it’s fire and a person everyone is on high alert. The stunt and safety teams are close at hand, and all non-essential crew are moved back to base. When the flame drops, there is only a short window of maybe 20 seconds to get the shot, and once the stunt man is lit, that’s all the time you have, whether you get it or not. Let me just say this: We got it.

Hear Me Roar: So, an opening scene full of stunts, VFX, and persons on fire. I think I know what that is about. Not long to go until we all see it!

1. Jaime Saltcliffe
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

First. Thanks Cat

2. sadrobotsings
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Aw, really wanted the Fist of the First Comment…

3. Patchy Face
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

We are now UNDER 40 days! Sounds like S3 will open with a bang – CAN. NOT. WAIT.

4. Silverstormm
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Colour me exCITed!

5. Devastated
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

YAY Battle at the fist. Was sure that would be omitted.

However, im new to the books and read the red wedding this morning, i am so devastated, i literally sat in shock for about 20 minutes and just had to think about what i had just read, i threw my book across the table and havent looked at it since. I need to go watch something happy with ponies or something its just too emotional, please tell me it gets better!

6. Devastated
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Also, it feels like Martin just got sick of Robb & his campaign, i am so shocked that it all came tumbling down so quickly, and poor Cat.

7. Rodrigo Reyes
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Maybe the scene is the battle at castle black. The season is going to be up to the middle of SoS, right?

8. After The Feast
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Devastated,

Hey, I feel your pain. Robb was by far my favorite character so it hit me hard. Strange as it may sound, it was one of my favorite moments of the book now that I look back on it. Anyways, it gets better in some aspects (storyline is still freaking amazing) but it is all bitter-sweet to a certain extent. You’re too far into the series to turn back now.

9. MyNameIsJamie
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Devastated,

There might be some things coming that make you happy, but no, on the whole, it doesn’t really get better…

10. Kingslayer
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Rodrigo Reyes,

Highly unlikely as if you click the above link it says the last scene they are filming is the first scene of the season

11. Rodrigo Reyes
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Devastated,

Hahaha. That part is one of my favourites of the books, but you will get a few surprises in the next pages. What they did tohis body is just genius. THE KING IN THE NORTH.

12. Rodrigo Reyes
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

After The Feast,

Also he deserved everything that happened to him, think what you want, but he brought everything down singlehandedly (with his cock).

13. Omar Brown
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

@Hear me Roar where in that text did it say it was an “opening” scene? If we are talking about The Battle At The Fist, I am certain this would be filmed in the studio just like the final scene of season 2 was. Too many make-up and VFX to be filmed on location IMO.

14. Devastated
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Oh there is no turning back, im too addicted to give it up, i just may need a few days to take it all in, not easy watching (or reading) the purest and most honorable family in the series be butchered like animals, or exiled. Arya needs to bring the starks vengeance, that is if she isnt dead too!

I almost wanna call Robb stupid for trusting those bastards, and not being able to keep his D*ck in his pants, why couldnt he just marry the girl as promised and have the other as a mistress which was very common back then, UGH so many emotions

15. After The Feast
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Rodrigo Reyes,

Yeah I know. I was hoping it wouldn’t happen but hoping didn’t do it. Ah well, masterfully written by GRRM. For me, there are more than enough characters to fill the void. But it still shocks me what happened. God GRRM is so bold!! Ned? Robb? All the good guys and then supposedly Jon at the end of the fifth book? Wow, such a great series.

16. After The Feast
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Devastated,

Haha we all felt that way dude.

17. Watson
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown,

Well, if they’re setting people on fire, obviously they can do some effects work on location. It will probably be a mix of location and studio shots, just like the last scene in season 2 was.

18. Drogo
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Devastated: tough times will come for the north but there is a glimmer of hope! Keep on reading!!

19. Scott Glennon
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Me thinks the battle at the fist. Sounds like a good one too. As for Cat Taylor..she knows how I feel….♥♥ Thanks for the info Cat!

For Winterfell!

20. Hexonx
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown:

here we are, on the very last day of shooting, and the scene we are filming is from the very beginning of the first episode

21. John W
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I got my discs today! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

22. Ceri
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Ah, the Battle of the Fist, one of my favourite parts, and then puddle Other, ravens in the trees, more wights and Coldhands!

Yeah, Robb blundered his way from that moment. God, thinking back those Cat chapters were boring as Brienne’s travels later on. I think my favourite part then was when the Hound told Arya where he was taking her.

23. Alan
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Devastated, I think everyone was effected by that scene.

That said, if Martin got sick of Robb and his campaign and decided to off him, he did way in the writing of A Clash of Kings, since the RW is foreshadowed many times in the book, first, I think, in the House of The Undying. It’s pretty amazing given all the traditional ominous tones of Robb’s visit to the Twins combined with at least three different instances of foreshadowing, that most of us were so surprised by it.

24. Selmy
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Sophie Turner interview about season 3 and with who she’ll act.

25. Malcatraz
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Yo Devastated, don’t read the spoiler tags in the other comments, there are some spoilers for book 4 and 5 in there

26. Malcatraz
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

After The Feast,

classy. kid says he’s on book 3! don’t reply with a book 5 spoiler

27. the waif
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

why dvds and blue rays of second season r super cheap than first? how will they make money? i m worried.

28. the goat
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Alan,

Pretty sure the first RW foreshadowing was from Patchface. “Fool’s blood, king’s blood, blood on the maiden’s thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.”

29. Kingslayer
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Just got threw all of the dragon eggs, so proud of myself!

For those who want to know, the deleted scenes are:

1. Sansa & The hound just after sansas dinner with the queen in episode 3, cute scene but doesnt make up for the serious lack of sansa/hound scenes.

2. Irris death scene

3. Margaery comforting Loras

4. Littlefinger & Varys have another conversation about power, eunuchs, hands of the king etc

trying my best to add all the spoiler tags, but for some reason its not letting me

30. anonymous
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

the waif,

I’m not an insider or anything, but I think the wholesale price that HBO charges is relatively fixed (and probably less than $29.99) and the “discount” is coming out of the pockets of retailers like Amazon and Best Buy. Even if they are selling it at no profit, they are getting the traffic and likely other purchases by customers who come into the store (or website).

31. Kingslayer
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

the waif,

Wouldnt worry about that the slightest, seems they always tend to do that, at least with Boardwalk Empire & True Blood

32. After The Feast
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Ceri,

I’m worried about coldhands being left out this season and pushed back.

33. After The Feast
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Malcatraz,

Haha hence the spoiler tags. And if you didn’t notice, that was in reply to someone else, not the dude on book three. Stop starting shit.

34. Devastated
    Posted February 19, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Dont worry i havent been spoiled at all, i normally only read spoiler tags if they are short and addressed to me.

I have started reading again, still devastated but anxious to see what will happen next, and see what will happen to the north in the very fragile condition its in now, as well as everyones reaction to what just happened! So excited

35. Ioco73
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Devastated,

I feel your pain man! I’ve only recently finished reading the books and that particular RW scene hit me hard also, but no matter how awful it was, it remains one brilliant piece of writing. Also, you know what? Having finished the novels, especially “A Dance With Dragons”, everything that has transpired, including that whole unfortunate RW episode, it makes sense in a logical but sick and twisted way!

36. Omar Brown
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:08 am | Permalink

I misread, my apologies.

37. Ioco73
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

I take it that the scene they are referring to here is the battle at the Fist…the follow-up to the march of the wights and the White Walkers?!

38. oprahnoodlematra
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Am I only the one that can’t think of what scene from ASOS this is?

39. After The Feast
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Devastated,

Yeah it was not my intent to spoil anything, I normally don’t talk about things from later books for that reason. Im glad you didn’t read some of my spoilers because that would have been really messed up to you. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series like I did.

40. feyrband
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Devastated,

I feel ya. I usually read right before bed, as I’m winding down for the evening and ugh, that was a mistake. I was up tossing and turning all night, didn’t sleep a wink. I’d equate the feeling to that of drinking while watching Requiem for a Dream.

41. feyrband
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:35 am | Permalink
  42. Matt
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:50 am | Permalink

This is the kind of stuff that gets me excited!!!!!!

43. Lord Greenseer
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Devastated,

Welcome to a SONG OF ICE AND FIRE……Just think if you read it in 2000 when it first came out..The devastation never subsides, but the STARKS shall have their day. Thousand eyes and one………..

44. Steven Swanson
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Rodrigo Reyes:
    After The Feast,

Nah, if he’d just used his cock and let it go that would’ve been no big deal, it’s his “honor” that got him into trouble.

In the book at least, in the show maybe it was ultimately his cock….

45. Damn_Ley
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 1:39 am | Permalink
  46. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 5:17 am | Permalink

I’m super excited for the Battle at the Fist and I’m keeping my expectations low enough because I know it won’t be a huge affair, but I’m so interested in how there going to have Sam escape the mess he’s in as that will be new for even book readers. Hopefully it’s not Sam the Slayer scene straight away because that IMO would diminish the danger of the Walkers.

47. Arkash
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Damn, this is turning as a RW thread…

Whereas the scene we could be discussing here is so much more visceral : the Battle of the Fist !

One of the greatest scenes of the saga !

I’m so happy we’ll get it, or at least, have glimpses of it ! And also so happy it to be the very beginning of the season !

Cant wait to see the snowstorms, men on fire, blue eyes in the cold, flaming arrows, men in black running in despair and the final desperate charge !

48. Blaat
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink

After The Feast,

Don’t think you have to be worried about him, they can put anyone under a cloak, without showing him off, and still cast an actor for next season. He will be in this season, though I’m wondering how they wil expand on Brann’s stories (in my recollection there aren’t many chapter about him.

49. Kroket
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 8:06 am | Permalink

For us Europeans who have to wait two full weeks for the bluray…
    The ‘dragon eggs’ deleted scenes can be found here:

Book Doreah would so not do that in a million years…. :0

50. Blaat
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Kroket,
    Well, it is hard to kill someone when you are not alife yourself

51. tysnow
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

OMG! Can’t wait for the season to begin, unfortunately for me its June, since my flat doesn’t have HBO here in London.
    I think it’s a wight that is getting burnt at the Fist of First Men fight.

Also after watching those deleted scenes, I cannot for a reason think why the Loras/Marg and SanSan scenes were omitted, they are great and would have added to the series.

52. kevin
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Devastated,

Am I the only one that was relieved that they died? I’m a very emotional person, so it’s not that I don’t have any feelings. But as stated above. Robb was just thinking with his private parts. He should have think instead of putting all his people in danger, cat warned him about Walder Frey, and did he listen? No.

And for Cat, I was happy she died. Don’t get me wrong, I loved her, but almost nothing exiting happened in her chapters, her thoughts are sometimes very annoying. How she treated Jon for instance. And besides that, I pushed the story further. For instance, what will happen to Arya now.
    But didn’t you saw this coming after Stannis put those leaches in the fire?

I’m not saying that I loved to saw them die, I still miss Cat, but there are other characters that are amazing too. I think I can handle things like this because of the show lost. Of my favorite 5 characters only 1 survived the end, but they got a proper ending so I was happy for them. I hope I will cry at the RW in season 3.

Omar Brown,

How did you know that it was filmed in a studio, because as far as I know, it was on set.
    Ceri,

what’s wrong with the Brienne chapters? I just reread aFfC and I personally loved her story. It’s not amazing, but many new things happened there, personally I hated the cercei chapters, not much happened in those chapters.
    and About coldhands, I think he is in season 3. Because I think it’s necessary for Bran and Sam’s storyline. because else they have nothing to do this season. I think their story will end in season 3 when they enter the Black Gate. That would be a amazing season ending for them.

Hopefully the fist of the first men scene is going to be epic as in the books. I think that 3 min would be enough to accomplish that.

53. NewJeffCT
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

The first time I read the Red Wedding, I was so stunned that I kept reading, thinking that maybe it was a dream sequence and Cat or Arya or somebody would wake up and realize it was just a dream. And, while I had expected something bad to happen there, I was amazed at how big it was – all the men trapped inside the flaming pavilion tents, etc. I read ASOS when it came out in 2000, then re-read it again in early 2011 when I knew Dance with Dragons finally had a firm release date. Even though I knew the RW was coming, it was still gut wrenching on the second read.

54. April
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink
  55. Solar
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

and now this is a RW thread.

56. dizzy
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

To me the RW is the point where ASOS really starts to hit it’s stride. Everything after it is Gold.

57. Sandsnake
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

58. NewJeffCT
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Sandsnake: Really suprised that people seem more interested in talking about the RW in this thread than what is wrote in the MGOT post. I mean it looks like we are getting the frigging Battle Of The Fist! What a perfect way to kick the season off this will be. Also as a continuity nut I view the series as one big story rather than splitting it into seasons so I love the fact that it seems like the end of season 2 is going to flow perfectly into the start of season 3 when watching the story from start to end.

Is it the battle at the Fist, or the battle at the Wall?

59. Arkash
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Battle at the Fist : very first scene of the season, shot in Iceland.

60. TheWalkingDave
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Bring on the Red Viper and Areo Hotah!!! Badasses

61. Napoleonbuff
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Alan,

I recall reading that Martin said RW was originally intended to end the first book…when it was still planned as a trilogy.

62. Isabelle
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

It’s group therapy. We’ll be watching the Red Wedding play out in three months and four days and need as much support as possible to get through it! ; ) (Because if re-reading was bad, watching will be infinitely worse)

63. beewulf
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Lord Greenseer:
    Devastated,

Welcome to a SONG OFICE AND FIRE……Just think if you read it in 2000 when it first came out..The devastation never subsides, but the STARKS shall have their day. Thousand eyes and one………..

I’m just hoping some of them are still alive by the end of the book series. Having their day seems too much to hope for sometimes. Still love them though…

64. Perkins
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 2:15 am | Permalink

Just watched the histories of westeros free folk video.. It ends with what looks to be the wight bear that shows up at fist battle. hoping they have a third bear this season =)

65. JustMe
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Devastated,

I sympathize with what you are saying, but I must admit I find it very funny that you call the Starks the purest and most honorable family and then immediately after sayRob should have married the Frey woman and taken the girl he slept with as a mistress!!! Too funny!!!