Game of Thrones Ascent enters open beta
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise, News.

Game of Thrones Ascent open beta

Game of Thrones Ascent, the Facebook game being developed by Distruptor Beam, has now entered open beta. While it is not an official launch yet, anyone can play the game now. There may still be a few bugs to iron out, but usually at this stage, the game is nearly complete. For those unfamiliar with the game, here is a brief description:

In Game of Thrones Ascent players will lead the life of a noble during the time of upheaval as portrayed in the books and the series thus experiencing a new type of game that unites both story and strategy. Players will claim their birthright by choosing which of the great houses they’ll swear allegiance to, securing their holdings, developing their lands and personal reputation, and assigning sworn swords to quests–while forging alliances with new friends and much more!

Much more information about the game and its mechanics can be found at its official site. Or you can just jump in and start playing.

Winter Is Coming: I was a part of the closed beta, so I’ve been able to sample the game a little already. Some brief initial impressions are after the break…

I’m not really a big fan of Facebook games in general. But I found myself enjoying this game. The basic gist is that you are lord of a small holdfast and you have to grow in power and influence. At the early levels, there are a series of quests you have to complete. These quests start your story in Westeros and help you begin building your buildings and acquiring resources. Through these quests you also hire your first sellsword and send them out on adventures for you. This seems to be the main thrust of the game. Managing your resources and completing quests with your sellswords. There is a little more to it than that, but that is the backbone of the game. I haven’t advanced too far into the game, but it appears to be pretty deep. I could see people really getting into this game.

My main concern with a Facebook game is that it would require me to spam my friends with requests to advance in the game. I’m happy to report that that seems to not be the case with GoT Ascent. While having friends as allies certainly helps, especially when faced with group missions, it is not mandatory. You can do quite a bit in this game on your own, at least early on. It may change as you get up to higher levels, I’m not sure. As with most Facebook games, there are micro-transactions but these also are not mandatory to progress in the game.

If you are a fan of Facebook games in general, this one should be right up your alley. If you despise or are indifferent to Facebook games, but are a fan of Game of Thrones, I encourage you to check this out. You may find yourself getting addicted.

1. Nick_Scryer
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Never played a Facebook game before but started playing this when I seen your re-tweet 40 mins ago. Love it and have been playing it since! My night will be spent on facebook. Some amazing art and cool graphics to look at while you scheme or fight.

Posted February 21, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Cool, time to try it out after work today :)

3. Tar Kidho
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Time to create a second facebook account dedicated to playing games :-)

4. spacechampion
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

WiC — which character are you playing as? I’m Brynden Blackwood of the Golden Company alliance. Feel free to add me.

5. Nic
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I wish someone would make a proper, sprawling RPG-style GoT video game for consoles. I know there was a game that came out last year but it was very limited in scope and gameplay.

There’s enough material in the books to develop an open world exploration type game in the style of Skyrim/Elder Scrolls.

6. the goat
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Anybody know how to get rid of the ads and shit on the right. It cuts off part of the screen. Also, how do you save your character? Every time I reload it asks me to pic a new name and portrait.

Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

spacechampion, it looks like they wiped everything from the closed beta, so I will have to start a new character. I will add you once I can.

the goat, I think Facebook requires there to be ads there. I don’t know if there is a way to get rid of them. What is your screen resolution? You may need to up it if it is cutting off part of the game window. I don’t think you need to manually save, it does it automatically.

8. spacechampion
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

the goat,

I had it not save my character the first time I logged on, but the next time it saved it. Keep trying?

9. spacechampion
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I’ve gotten far enough in the game where there are “semi-live” battles going on where you aid other players in a small war (you start with 5 actions you can do, and every few minutes you gain another action, and apply them until the war is won), and compete against those players for the most contribution to the war. You can win a lot of silver this way, and see nice bonus items for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, so I always accept Assist requests when i can.

10. Imre Simon
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I registered to try it out, very disappointing that there arent Martells to swear fealty to… nor Tyrells

11. Patchy Face
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Why oh why do I have to work? Will have to check this out later – but definitely will!

12. zod
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

OT: I think there’s a new pic from S3 on the HBO website: http://www.hbo.com/#/index.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrLJJ4PU5ZXYGhpZGpkYmQMAhoYWcw==

It’s just a pic of Osha, though. Nothing really new.

13. ISOM3TRiC
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Not sure if this was mentioned (I’m too lazy to read), but there is a very good Game of Thrones mod for the PC game Crusader Kings II. It allows you to play as any of the great houses and just about every minor lord in the game. You can play in a variety of different time-frames as well. I’d suggest you check it out if you need a Game of Thrones fix. Its also only $9 on steam, but be advised, the game has a steep learning curve.

14. Superdeluxe
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I am going to second the Game of Thrones Conversion Mod for Crusader Kings II. It is a ton of fun, and hope that WIC gets a chance to play and review the game. Had a ton of fun with it (Played Eddard Stark, had 7 children with Cat, Killed all the heirs of the Riverlands, then killed my wife to marry Asha Greyjoy (great stats), popping out more kids).

Robb Stark united the North and Riverlands, Then married into the Daughter of Robert Baratheon, and heir to the Stormlands/Crownlands

15. TheWoodOfTheMorning
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Sophie Turner!

16. A-Gone
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

TheWoodOfTheMorning:
    Happy Birthday Sophie Turner!

Second this ! I love Sophie.

17. NewJeffCT
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

There are usually places on FB to go where you can “pimp” your character to gain more allies in the game. Basically, you go there and say, “Hey, i’m a level 75 lord seeking to add more friends…”

and, just sit back & watch the friend requests roll in… I would create a second account to do this so your ‘real’ friends on FB won’t be bothered with game requests.

18. Sir Gallahad
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Yay! :-D

19. Kevin A
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I hate Facebook games but I made an exception for this one. I actually think it’s pretty cool for what it is. It certainly feels more like Game of Thrones than that terrible PS3 game did.

20. TheAnchoress
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Well, there goes the last hope of my productivity.

21. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

A woman has tried the game, and it appears that the main goals are to get the player to purchase virtual coins with real money to make progress in the game. If one is going to write your own story, why not just participate in fan fiction for free? Or write your own fantasy and actually MAKE money? Clicking and watching the clock tick down is not that much fun, and a woman is certainly not going to pay to do that. But a woman has never been much of a gamer, so take this comment with a bucket of salt. If any man or woman would care to participate in the game with this woman, Lady Jaqi Hghar is the playing name, Jaqi Hghar the FB name. Perhaps with some FB friends assisting, a woman could learn to enjoy it?

22. Juego de tronos
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

The beta works very slowly! It’s only me?

23. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Juego de tronos,

No, it is slow, it is known.

24. Restore The Day
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Can’t even load the homepage since this morning….

25. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

The game reminds this woman of trying to play fetch with the shadow cats…throw a toy, and then maybe in a few minutes something will happen?

26. Darquemode
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Season 3 Trailer premiere on Jimmy Kimmel Live tomorrow night!

ON JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE!, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22

– Jimmy KimmelLive! airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m./ 10:35 p.m. CT on ABC –

New York, N.Y., February 21, 2013 – The Season 3 trailer of HBO’s Game of Thrones makes its exclusive world premiere on Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC) on Friday, February 22nd. A big fan of the series, Kimmel kicks off the countdown to the new season premiere on Sunday, March 31 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT, exclusively on HBO, with the all-new 60-second trailer that will offer a first look at the action and treachery that continues in the visually stunning series that has become a pop culture phenomenon.

Stated Kimmel, “I am so excited about this trailer, even I might watch my show.”
    The trailer will be posted to the Game of Thrones YouTube channel immediately following its east coast debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. http://www.youtube.com/gameofthrones.

27. Cary Storm
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Imre Simon:

Yeah, I had a bit of an issue with that. I’m sure I’ll be able to change allegiance when they get added on later, right? :)
    Since I picked a Dornish style name, My character swore to Targaryen. It’s somewhat interesting.

28. Cary Storm
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Where would I find said Fan Fiction? Oh, and Jaqi Hghar has a friend request.

29. Mormegil
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Darquemode,

At Last ;-)

30. Canary
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Server’s down.

This is why we can’t have nice things, people!

31. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

Where would I find said Fan Fiction?Oh, and Jaqi Hghar has a friend request.

A man doth jest…but in case any person is curious, here is some fun fanfic:

In any case, is “click and wait” the way of all FB games? It is less exciting than Scrabble!

32. Cary Storm
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Seems we’ve killed the server.

33. Cary Storm
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I suppose we could remember that it’s in Beta .

34. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm:
    Seems we’ve killed the server.

Indeed, we killed something, FINALLY!

35. realtienem
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Ha! I did the same thing.
    And I’m open to alliances ^_^
    Ascent name: Lady Aurelia Starfall
    FB name: Real Tienem

36. WildSeed
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:

*>* I’m not on facebook or much of a gamer, but this made me smile !

37. Maester Tcost
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’gar,

I always enjoy your posts, so please forgive this question: did you know that GRRM himself actively discourages fan fiction about his characters and settings? Of course, as with anything this popular, such fan fiction still exists. George’s objections stem in part from questions of copyright defense, but also from concerns about an author’s control of his creations.

Or maybe I misunderstood, and you meant the whole reference to fan fiction was a joke.

38. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Maester Tcost:
    Mrs.H’gar,

I always enjoy your posts, so please forgive this question:did you know that GRRM himself actively discourages fan fiction about his characters and settings?Of course, as with anything this popular, such fan fiction still exists.George’s objections stem in part from questions of copyright defense, but also from concerns about an author’s control of his creations.

FYI, the WicGeeks fanfic purposely stays away from GRRM canon characters and is just a way of passing time till the series returns while using imaginary characters. If GRRM were to be offended and contact our site leader, it would be discontinued, it is known. As Westeros is a similar setting to medieval England, it’s not such a stretch for anybody to imagine. It is rather a homage and expression of admiration for GRRM’s work. Not being a big gamer, it simply appears to me that this game is a sort of slow-motion fanfic, that’s where the comparison arose.

39. Canary
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

GRRM’s opinion on fanfiction is about as relevant to fanfiction writers as his opinion on the New England Patriots.

Which is to say, not at all.

40. Miguel Moreira
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

This game is addicting! xD

Add me. :)

41. arglebargle
    Posted February 21, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Hey, and this is totally a genuine friendly concern, as I’ve had a lifelong obsession with studying the mentally ill; are you by any chance helping to fill out the ranks of these fascinating individuals?

42. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 12:51 am | Permalink

arglebargle:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

Is a man insinuating that this woman is mentally ill?

43. Imre Simon
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Cary Storm,

Ye, tell me about it, I m Simon Santagar (cuz my name is Simon, and there is Symon Santagar in the actual story).

Feel free to add me too i guess, i usually dont play FB games, so not sure how important it is to have contacts, and i wont spam requests to my friend-list

44. St Jaime
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Maester Tcost:
    Mrs.H’gar,

GRRM can stick his fan fiction objection up that giant arse of his.

45. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Trying to get it to work, but the server is far too slow today. I can’t even start the first quest. I CANNOT EVEN FOLLOW KING ROBERT’S COMMAND! THE OTHERS TAKE YOU FACEBOOK! HIS GRACE SHALL HAVE ALL YOUR TRAITOR HEADS… once he returns from his hunt

46. arglebargle
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Well, we psychologists and amateur psychologists prefer not to have questions answered with questions in surveys. A lot of the loonies try it, though.

47. alaynes
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

am i the only one that gets 500 Internal Server Error while trying to play?

48. Cary Storm
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

alaynes,

Seems it got pretty popular pretty quickly. Much more quickly than the servers could handle.

49. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

arglebargle:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

FYI this is not a survey or study or whatever you want it to be. This is a fan site about a tv show where personal attacks are not appreciated.

50. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

alaynes,

No I am too. It’s annoying because I’m forced to refrain from what KING ROBERT OF THE HOUSE BARATHEON, FIRST OF HIS NAME AND LORD OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS has commanded me to do

51. Cary Storm
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Imre Simon,

I’ve yet to figure out how to add someone who’s not already on my FB friend’s list. Or do a search by character. There are evidently still some bugs to work out.

52. Cary Storm
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

And I’m Federyco Papae, (don’t ask, too complicated) and my power is somewhere around 539 at the moment, although that’s subject to change. I do think you can add someone from the leaderboard list.

53. Matthew Meunier
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Seven Hells Bells,

I cant start the quest either… anyone know whats going on with that?

54. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I have been able to claim my lands by rights of conquest, yet a lord wishes to retire to his chambers to… well, I do need heirs after all. How in the names of the Old gods do I save my progress?

55. Cary Storm
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Join my quest. I need someone to join my quest. You are my only active friend. Do it. Please.

56. Deme
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Not really loving the game so much so far. So I don’t know how long I’ll stick. But if someone’s looking for friends/alliance my character is Rhaella Storm.

57. Maester
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Canary,

Canary:

Which is to say, not at all.

Until they/you start thieving his copyright. Then his is the only opinion that counts.

58. The Laughing Storm
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 7:00 am | Permalink

For a first, this game is not so bad. Though the waiting times are ridiculous enough to turn people away who are not used to FB app games.

For those like me who are disappointed about Dorne not being included in the game, do join “The Dornish League”.

You will find me there.

59. Javi Marcos
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I like the game but it’s a Full Beta, what means it freezes and doesn’t work many times. I have had to refresh the page maybe 30 times in 3 days I’ve been playing.

60. spacechampion
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Disruptor said they’re upgrading the database. They weren’t expecting 100,000 people for open beta.

“Greetings Bannermen,
    We wanted to give you an update and tell you what’s happening. When we opened the doors on Thursday, we had no idea that about 100K people would want to be in the Open beta within the first days of launch! HBO hasn’t even announced the game’s opening yet. To deal with all the added demand–and what appears to be a very large continuing influx of players, we’ve been working through the weekend to install new equipment to support the load. Part of that is transferring our data to a new, higher-capacity database cluster. There are no problems, but the transfer is just taking a bit longer than we’d hoped. Here are a few fun stats: so far, players own over 2 million items — have done 2.5 million quests — and earned over 2.5 million achievements. That’s a lot of data! We’re optimistic that after this, we’ll be in good shape to deliver a great game experience to all of you and the many people who have yet to join the game.”

61. Alatariel
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

All I can say about this game is:

500 Internal Server Error

WTF xD

62. katana
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

“Hi Bannermen [sic]! It has been a very productive day, and we’re nearly where we’d like to be. We will be bringing the servers down for a rebuild shortly. Please remain patient while we make the performance of the game better for all players. Thank you so much for your continued support and understanding! We currently do not have an ETA but will keep you posted!”

–Official Facebook page of GoTA

Sidenote, anyone else find it extremely annoying they never add “and Bannerwomen”? There are a million statuses here directed only to the male players.

63. Atreyu
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Maester,

I’d rather rely on the court’s opinion on fanfiction than Mr. Martin’s. His opinion, ya know, is just an opinion, while the court’s opinion is law.

64. Starkgaryen
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

This game is taking up all of my time. I just can’t stop playing… and I love it!

65. Imre Simon
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 8:02 am | Permalink

katana,

probably due to the fact, that such a word doesnt even really exist. Well, maybe now it has been created, but small wonder it’s not used. Plus the active players are like 90+% male, just check the pages in the top 1000

66. Kyrenna
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Started playing it after reading this post. Looks nice, and good progress can be made without spending real life money or spamming friends, which is a big plus for FB games. Loved the tie-ins with the actual story (Jon Arryn dies, andsoforth), liked how things didn’t feel repetitive due to, among other things, the choices that can be made during the quests. Still figuring things out, but yeah, got kinda hooked.

Server’s down now, though. First time I’ve had any trouble like that happen since starting to play. I do hope it’s scheduled maintenance or something like that.

67. Kyrenna
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Sidenote, anyone else find it extremely annoying they never add “and Bannerwomen”?There are a million statuses here directed only to the male players.

Yes, but that’s an annoyance I’ve lived with for about a decade now. That is, gaming, especially fantasy/warlike gaming, is supposed to be a male thing, apparently.

And having lived with that annoyance so long…I’m just happy I can play as a not-so-sexy female, choose capable female sellswords, and, in general, be addressed as a lady in-game. If I’d be on said FB page, I’d also make comments about how bannerwomen apparently do not have to be patient.

Nah. Who am I kidding. I’d lazily tell myself ‘bannermen’ is unisex because introducing ‘bannerpeople’ would only get me into feminist ‘debates’ I’m so not looking for :)

68. katana
    Posted March 4, 2013 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Kyrenna,

Yeah, me? I’m wishing the tables were turned. How would the Bannermen respond if they were universally called Bannerwomen? Guessing not so well.

69. S.B.
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Wow, I have actually found a hack that works for this game! I’m so excited that I want to share it with all of you! http://g4mehacks.blogspot.com/2013/03/game-of-thrones-ascent-hack-hackzors.html

70. Tywin
    Posted March 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Is there a mobile/tablet version for this game? I want to play it on my mobile, but not sitting in front of the computer.

71. Adriana
    Posted April 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Join my alliance no fealty!

Join my alliance no fealty!

72. Blake
    Posted April 27, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know if you can start a fresh game from if you what to start over