Game of Thrones box set breaking records again
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise, News.

Game of Thrones S2 Blu-rayThe Game of Thrones season 2 DVD and Blu-ray is the fastest-selling home video release in HBO’s history, taking the title from… well, last year’s Thrones box set. James Hibberd from Entertainment Weekly has the scoop:

The heavily promoted DVD title was released earlier this week. The company reports that the first day moved 241,000 units, which is 44 percent higher than the first season’s initial sales and represent the biggest first-day numbers ever for an HBO home video release. HBO also sold 355,000 individual episodes via digital downloads, up 112 percent from season one. Given the more intense home video interest for season two, it wouldn’t be surprising if the show’s ratings surpass last season’s numbers when the show returns next month.

Winter Is Coming: In case there was any concern that interest in this show has waned, this should put that to rest. I’m excited to see the amount of Youtube views tonight’s trailer gets. And, of course, to see the ratings once the season starts airing.

1. Mike Brooks
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Nice!

2. Rukie44
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Was there every any doubt? This just goes to show how much of a powerhouse series GoT is.

3. babar
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

I remember last year, people were complaining about GoT being one of the most pirated show… and then, what happened with the bluray and dvd sales? They went through the roof.

GoT being that much pirated is just a sign that the TV show is more popular than ever. This is all good news for HBO, really.

Told you.

4. GeekFurious
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

At this rate, HBO might as well just renew the show for three more seasons instead of one or two.

5. Villane
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

And George spending 75% of his commentary bitching about the lack of helmets was pretty funny as well.

6. Jimbo
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Who wouldn’t buy this, it’s the greatest T.V. ever!

7. Carne
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Yeah, GoT is not going to be cancelled any time soon, that’s for sure!

If only Rome and Deadwood had continued like this :(

8. Bryan Cogman
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the support, everyone. Work has already begun on the Season 3 blu rays!

B

9. Lin Beifunk
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman,

Wow, already? I didn’t know it started so early!

10. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Villane,

I haven’t listened to the commentaries yet, but I plan to do so soon. I really enjoyed them in season 1.

11. Meraxes
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman,

Wow we don’t even have the season 3 trailer yet and you are already teasing us with the blu rays?! Lolz keep up the good work! And thanks for the awsome tv show!

12. mariamb18
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

The record-breaking sales are good news…especially after seeing that poor excuse for a poster.

13. Omar Brown
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Bought the Bluray set myself. Any way to show support to HBO to keep the series going!

14. ebevan91
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman:
    Thanks for the support, everyone.Work has already begun on the Season 3 blu rays!

B

Would be nice to get a release date that isn’t just 1 month before season 4 airs.

Think… the best Christmas present ever :D

15. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

News like this seriously brightens up my day. Love that the show just keeps getting more recognition for all the work they put in and the entertainment it brings us.

Time to start reading ASOS for the hundreth time. Winter is coming afterall.

16. Carne
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman,

Give Twitter another try, Cogman! Was so much fun to read your tweets while the episodes were airing!

17. Braincandy
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I bought season 2 but not season 1.

18. JamesL
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Still wish HBO would have pushed the S3 premiere back a week so it didn’t have to go up against the Walking Dead season finale. I’m not really a fan of the Walking Dead but the show gets monster ratings and I’m sure there is a significant crossover audience between the two and will most likely affect GOT premiere ratings. I know premiere airing ratings don’t mean much to HBO but it is always exciting to see how much the shows audience has grown since being off the air.

19. Mosh
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

It’s strange that I’m so not surprised, but that this news still makes me so happy. A little contradictory, but whatever.

20. pntrlqst
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

Yes, not to mention that the Red Wedding will be on Memorial Day weekend. We saw how big the ratings for Blackwater dipped during that weekend.

21. Zack
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I wonder if I’m alone with this site’s display issues. On the main page, this thread doesn’t list the number of comments, it says “Leave a comment.” as if mine would be first.

And then on the sidebar listing the most recent posts, it’s very out of date and only updates once actually in a thread. And then going back to the main page goes back to showing the outdated comments.

It’s been doing this for at least a couple weeks for me.

Aaaaanyway, this is great news. I hope for a season 4 confirmation within a few days of the S3 premiere, and with numbers like this it seems a sure thing.

22. Abyss
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Zack,

The sidebar seems to work for me most of the time, but other than that, no, you are not alone.

23. chrome
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

awesome news. i was googling yeasterday about dvd/blue ray sales figures of season 2 but didnt get any news. by the numbers doesnt give figures b4 2 wk
    Zack,

change ur browser man. download chrome.

24. Darquemode
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman,

Awesome to hear!

Think you can pass on to HBO that Dragon Eggs are frustrating and annoying even if the content is amazing! I use a universal remote and cannot access some of the eggs without hitting 3 or 4 buttons and jumping through hopes, and that is on top of the task of finding the eggs! XD

Thanks for the amazing work…
    Loved the Inside Game of Thrones book and the BD set of course!

25. Zack
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

chrome,

I am using Chrome, heh. Very weird.

Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Awesome! But not really a surprise. We always knew these DVDs would be a huge hit for fans, geeks, and collectors everywhere.

Loving the commentaries so far. Alfie & Gemma were very funny on Episode 2.

Also, totally forgot about the trailer tonight. Awesome!

Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Zack,

Are you going to winter-is-coming.net (or winteriscoming.com or winteriscoming.org)? Switch your bookmark to winteriscoming.net. That always has the freshest version of our cached pages. I will see if I can fix the issue with the other domains this weekend.

On a related note, did you see the change I made to the “Show all spoilers” setting? What do you think?

28. Abyss
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    The site was down for me for about 30 min (error 404). Anyone else?

Edit: I guess it had somtning to do with WiC change to the spoilerbars. – I like it very much, btw.

29. Chris
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

With this news hbo should look into making longer seasons. I’m already addicted to the Facebook game

30. Zack
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Oh! That would be it, then. I remember you switching over but my autocomplete bar and bookmark always had the old site, and re-directed here anyway so I never had to adjust. I’ll update my bookmarks. It’s weird that that would be the reason, considering it does redirect me to the new url, after all.

Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Abyss:
    Off-Topic:
    The site was down for me for about 30 min (error 404). Anyone else?

I don’t know what you are talking about.

I accidentally deleted my web files. Thank god for daily backups!

32. John W
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

This is great news. Is it too early to pre-order Season 3?

33. Isabelle
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Villane: Has anyone been listening to the commentaries? I’ve enjoyed the Season 2 ones even more than Season 1. The one with Liam Cunningham and Carice Van Houten was particularly hilarious. Liam is a really funny dude.

The commentaries are my absolute favourite part of the DVD!! (besides, you know, the whole having GoT to watch whenever I’d like ^__^) Have to say, the one with Michelle Fairley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau took the prize for hilarity for me–nothing could top those two rating Robb Stark’s first time and Michelle passionately defending her “son’s” rather, erm, brief performance ;-) I was in STITCHES.

34. Arthur
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Wow, and this weekend when many people go out and will swing by their local Best Buy store to pick up the box set, I’m sure the sales numbers will go up drastically after this weekend.

This is great news for us fans because as the seasons continue more and more supernatural events take place. This means many more big budget CGI scenes. As long as HBO is making profits I’m sure they will give D&D the money needed for these scenes.

Dany riding Drogon = Priceless

35. SergioCQH
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Another factor to consider is that the street price for the second season is lower than it was for the first season: $30 this year vs $35 last year. That certainly played a role in the number of sets sold.

36. Arthur
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Oh yeah!

You know last seasons promotion with the “Chose Your Banner” stuff. When they had the little 30 seconds teasers showing the different houses. That was genius and got me totally amped.

Where are they for this season? When can I mark my Facebook page as Stark territory again?

HBO where are these promotions? I want those house teaser “Chose Your Banner” videos again plllease!!!

37. Jamal GOT FAN
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

WHEN IS THE TRAILER Y’ALL

38. Hi-Fi
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Has the trailer aired already?

39. feyrband
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

This isn’t much of a factor nowadays. I personally will be DVRing both and watching Thrones first. If I were to watch The Walking Dead right when it started, I’d have to sit through commercials and that isn’t going to happen. That’s why I watch Shameless first at 9 as it is now, before moving back to TWD.

40. Shaya Collins
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

That’s fantastic. I was among the people who bought the Blu-ray set of season two on the day it was released. I waited a whole year to catch up on the continuation and it was so worth it!

I would like to watch season three as soon as it airs but I don’t have HBO. Is iTunes offering the episodes or is there any other legal way to watch the episodes as they air? I would appreciate any kind of info you got.

41. feyrband
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi:
    Has the trailer aired already?

Kimmel starts in about 45 min.

42. Hi-Fi
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

feyrband,

Oh, OK! Thanks.

So the trailer will air in an hour, is that right?

43. feyrband
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Shaya Collins,

You can get a friend’s HBOGO login. You could also just torrent them, your buying of the blu-ray sets should be proof enough to your conscience ;)

44. feyrband
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi:
    feyrband,

Oh, OK! Thanks.

So the trailer will air in an hour, is that right?

His show is like an hour long I think, so it could be at any point during that. I would not be surprised if they milk it and wait until closer to the end of his show to air it.

45. Shaya Collins
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

feyrband,

Thanks for the info regarding HBO GO. I wish there was another way though. Nowadays not everyone has cable TV anymore and I prefer to watch (legally) online.

Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Shaya Collins:
    feyrband,

47. Shaya Collins
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Just do what I do and get cable for the 10 weeks that GoT is on and then cancel it. It will likely run you about $100 all told, but it beats waiting 10 months to see it.

Yes, I agree. I don’t think I want to wait another year to catch up again. I will look into that option. Thanks for the recommendation, I have no doubt that it will be worth it.

48. Nicole
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

But….I thought that since HBO is doing such a terrible job at promoting the show (and not giving a a full preview 6 months before the the start of the show) that no one cares about the show anymore. At least that’s what the constant complaining by the comments here make me think.

49. Darquemode
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Shaya Collins,

Also,
    Call your cable company and tell them that you are going to switch to DISH or DirecTV since they are giving you a deal on premium channels. They usually will ask if they can make you a deal to keep you. If not ask if there is a deal they can give to you. The first time I did that I got all the premium channels free for the first year and then half-price the second year once, and last time i did it I got free HBO/ Cinemax and Showtime free for 6 months.

50. Arthur
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

WTF is this Jimmy Kimmble garbage.

It’s a repeat!

51. Shaya Collins
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:
    Shaya Collins,

Also,

Nice! Thanks for reaching out and sharing that info.

It’s definitely worth considering but I am not a big fan of subscriptions. It seems to give you more headache especially if you want to cancel it again. That’s why I am still hesitant and I wish HBO would cut a deal with Netflix or iTunes to allow other people like me another way of watching it the moment it airs.

52. Arthur
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Ok so I have to sit through this whole show to see the GoT trailer? Damn this sucks =[

53. Spryte
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I know, right? Seems like HBO is doing Jimmy Kimmel a favor instead of the other way around.

54. Hexonx
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    WTF is this Jimmy Kimmble garbage.

It’s a repeat!

I don’t usually watch him but his website says:

Friday: Jimmy Kimmel Live: This Week

The other days list that days guests so maybe this is a best of the week type thing?

55. A-Gone
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Has Jimmy Kimmel started ? If not, how much time until it does ??

56. Arthur
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Spryte,

I remember Dave or Dan doing an interview with Jimmy and it went really well and they really clicked.

Bet you they linked this idea at that point since Jimmy is a fan of the show.

57. Spryte
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

It’s started here already on the east coast. The previews of the trailer are epic already! Wildlings climbing the wall!

58. guvin
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:00 am | Permalink

They must be trying to save money by using a twelve year old to do this poster

59. Arthur
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

I saw a dragon flying!!!

60. Hexonx
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Wow. That was incredible.

I think I saw some warging!

61. Lexyvil
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

I can tell this will be the best Season yet. It was awesome!

62. Abyss
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Youtube-link to trailer!

63. Hexonx
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:23 am | Permalink

@ 0.41 as the voice over says “with a sword in his hand”

Right when it says hand looks like Jaime screaming as his hand is chopped off. :D

64. MyBFFTheHound
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

OMG BERICS SWORD.

65. RitariKnight
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 4:33 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a significant increase in initial airing ratings. The ratings system is antiquated, and the way it works, it relies entirely on the viewing habits of a very small group of pre-selected viewers. If none of them watches a show, but everybody else watches it, the rating for that show would be 0. Many people watch premium cable shows after the full season is out. These are never counted in Nielsen ratings but they are significant for the cable companies like HBO. Having said this, I do actually expect the initial ratings for season 3 to be somewhat higher than season 2.

HBO has its own “ratings” system in place which takes into account subscription numbers (both domestic and international), DVD/BR sales, digital downloads, HBOGO viewings, awards nominations and wins, general hype, full Nielsen viewing numbers over a longer period of time, and so on, so still clinging simply to an antiquated system of initial viewers is kind of foolish. The TV world has changed and will continue to change drastically over the coming years, and the networks are fighting windmills trying to keep the old system alive. Netflix and other such services are going to win eventually, and it’s a good thing HBO has already hopped aboard that wagon with its own digital viewing services (even though the HBO Nordic service was and still is an epic fail; HBO really dropped the ball with that one).

By the way, the season 3 episode 3 title is “Walk of Punishment”.

66. Sarah
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Abyss,

I had that last night as I was about to comment, but its all ok now.
    Just a small question is the dvd/br out in the uk as the stores just don’t seem to have it in or was it coming out later?

Other than that come on it was always going to happen with a show like this, people need not doubt it

67. Matt
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 8:01 am | Permalink

I hope there are still some limited editions left in Best Buy when I get back to the US :/

Bryan Cogman, any chance you will release another INSIDE GOT book? I know the first one covered most of Season 1 and 2, but a lot was missed. There was virtually nothing on The Hound, The Tyrells, The Tullys… etc. Even Selmy was left out. Upon completing Season 4, and having things like the Martells, Dorne, plus all the Houses left out in the book, is there any talk of putting another one out?

I found it to be an incredibly fascinating read, and would love to see a 2nd one come out talking about the things missed from S1 and S2 plus all the new stuff from S3 and S4…

68. Abyss
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Sarah,

It will be out on March 4. :-)

69. Sarah
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

That’s just too long, I must own it and relieve everything and see all the content. Just hearing about it is making me so envious

70. Sky Aero
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I saw, I like and my thanks.

71. Juego de tronos
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

awsome!!

72. Trilmabdas
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Bryan Cogman,

Assuming this is really you… Thank you for amazing writing, reference quality picture and sound on the Blu Rays, for being a fan, and taking the time to drop-in to say hi!

73. Andrew
    Posted March 5, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Is anyone else having trouble with the commentaries? I cannot get them to play on any of the discs…..

1. [...] was the most pirated show of 2012, with an average of 4 million downloads per episode. And it broke its own record for home video sales, becoming yet again the fastest-selling box set ever for HBO. It has aired in nearly every country [...]