February awards round-up
By Hear Me Roar on in Awards.
  • Game of Thrones (specifially The Ghost of Harrenhal) won the award for Best Production Design in a single-camera TV series at the 17th Art Directors Guild Awards. Congratulations to Gemma Jackson heading the team!
  • At the 11th Visual Effects Society Awards GoT swept the floor, winning every category they were nominated in: Best Visual Effects for TV, Best Animated Character (dragons), Best Created Environment (Pyke on the Iron Islands), and Best Compositing for TV (White Walker army). Well done indeed, the show is nothing if not visually stunning, and the seamless effects are a big part of that.
  • The 60th MPSE Golden Reel Awards for sound editing saw two laurels given to our favourite show: Best Long Form Television Dialogue Editing & Long Form Television Sound Effects Editing (both for Valar Morghulis). In addition, GoT was nominated in three Short Form TV categories as well: best music, dialogue, and sound effects editing (all for Blackwater).
  • There was less success at the Irish Film & Television Awards, the Cinema Audio Society Awards, the Writers Guild Awards, and the Costume Designers Guild Awards, where Thrones was also nominated, but not bestowed with any honours in the end.
  • The 39th Saturn Awards are coming sometime in June, and there Game of Thrones is nominated for Best Television Presentation this year. Fingers crossed!

1. Hodor
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Hodor

2. Bran
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Hodor,

Hodor.

3. Abyss
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

I add a MPSE Award to the list. GoT won Best Sound Editing: Long Form Sound Effects and Foley in Television for Valar Morghulis.

4. BlackTalon
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Great news! Those awards are well deserved, until a few years ago you could have seen effects like in the show only on the big movie theater screen.

On a side note: it’s “seamless” and “swept” the floor

Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Abyss,

Thanks, I missed that update! it shall be amended ;)

Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

BlackTalon,

Also, damn you autocorrect :P

7. Abyss
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Yes, noted and added, three more nominations besides that. Thanks, everyone, for your help!

9. D'Arcy
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

A bit off topic (well, still GoT), but is the HBO preview of GoT that was scheduled to air tonight different than the one that aired on JKL? I remember seeing that the HBO one was supposed to be 90 or 120 seconds, and the JKL was 60 seconds.

10. JordanJ
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Hey wic any word of the preview being different/ longer on hbo tonight? Love the site. Keep up the good work!

11. JordanJ
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Sorry didn’t see the comment above

12. Meraxes
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Off topic, but I really wanted to say that wouldn´t it be cool to make Arya kill Ser Ilyn at the inn in season 4?! Sadly the actor who plays him has cancer :( and I though it would be cool to make her kill the man who killed her father and make him go out with a bang instead of recasting him

13. Arkash
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Just read this today over at the Uncyclopedia ! Thought I might share ! ^^

14. m.f.
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Game of Thrones Season 3 Trailer ‘The Rains of Castamere’

15. flame
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Meraxes,

And how in the world would that happen?

16. Meraxes
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

flame,

The same way that Dany’s dragons got stolen :p well I guess they could like put that he has to go to do the “kings justice” somewhere and then he meets with Arya at the inn

17. John W
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Anyone know if the Saturn Awards are televised?

18. Steve R
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

It’s probably been commented on before, but Conleith Hill has turned up in Suits. A welcome addition. Mannered, snarky and manipulative :) Who’d take a run at Varys in court?

19. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Not bad, not bad! A woman hopes next year will be even better.

20. Joan Català
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Partial confirmation we’ll have the Battle at the Fist? http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2013/2/19/season-3-wraps-on-a-frozen-mountain.html?cmpid=ABC794

I mean, in what other context could they lit up a man beyond the Wall? Mance does say something about the largest fire the North has ever seen, but even so…

21. Hexonx
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

There was less success at the Irish Film & Television Awards

This kind of shocks me. What could possibly be on Irish television that is better than GoT?

22. john
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Hexonx: This kind of shocks me.What could possibly be on Irish television that is better than GoT?

It’s probably because GoT is seen as a foreign production.

23. Shock Me Sane
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 5:21 am | Permalink

So based on 10 million trailer views in 2 days, the s2 blu-ray sales: I think its safe to say HBO will be announcing season 4 on….. april 1st. lol. They may wait till the 2nd just to not freak people out.

Also, I have lurked here forever. I read Game of Thrones as a recommendation from my mother when I was 16! Kind of an odd mother… but yes, I love her dearly. Anyways. Just saying hi.

Posted February 25, 2013 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Shock Me Sane,

Welcome! Cool mother indeed :)

25. Stark
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Hi, I thought that that Hbo planned to release a two minute trailer today. Anyone has any idea about the full trailer?

26. czarnian
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:
    Not bad, not bad! A woman hopes next year will be even better.

It is my guess that Breaking Bad will subscribe on most awards next year since it is running its last episodes this fall. It is after all widely seen as the second best TV-show ever after The Wire.

27. Clambake
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

This is off topic. But I remember a scene in S2 between Jorah an Quaithe where Quaithe is giving a tattoo. I watched every episode on BluRay and I didn’t see this scene. Am I imagining this scene or does anyone remember this?

28. Lin Beifunk
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Stark:

Last night before Girls they played the “Chaos” trailer, so I don’t know if they’re planning on doing another.

29. Roopert
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Two fun GoT themes things this morning (and someone may have already posted this somewhere and I missed it in which case apologies on the duplication). I’ve been catching up on Ripper Street on the DVR and the first episode had Iain Glenn (in quite a few really nice scenes with Jerome Flynn) and the next had Michael McElhatton (who I hardly recognized). Fun to see them in other roles.

Also went over to IMDB (when at firs I couldnt recognize Michael McElhatton’s face but did his voice) and they have an add for GoT with the dragon shadow moving. Was fun for a Monday morning (although I have to say anything not involving work at the moment is quite fun, so maye my standard is a bit low :-) ).

30. Nick Larter
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

john: It’s probably because GoT is seen as a foreign production.

As was widely predicted, crime drama Love/Hate almost swept the board in the principal Irish TV awards. Andrew Scott stopped a clean sweep by winning supporting actor for his turn as Moriarty in the BBC’s Sherlock.

Whilst IFTA is an ‘all-Ireland’ organisation, it does often come across as being quite Dublin-centric, which probably works against productions based ‘up North’