Extended Game of Thrones season 3 trailer coming this weekend
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, News.

Daenerys in the S3 trailer

An extended trailer for season three of Game of Thrones is scheduled to be added to HBO On Demand on Monday, March 4. As we’ve mentioned before, this usually means it will air the Sunday night prior at around 9 PM ET. And it generally gets posted online shortly thereafter. The schedule has the trailer runtime listed as 2 minutes and the description it provides says “An extended peek at the drama, passion and action coming in Season 3 of ‘Game of Thrones.’”

Winter Is Coming: I wonder if this extended 2-minute version was the one that originally was going to air on HBO this past Sunday? But then they switched gears and debuted the trailer on Jimmy Kimmel Live instead and they had to edit it down to 60 seconds. If so, that might explain why some found the trailer less cohesive than previous ones. This longer trailer may rectify that issue. Looking forward to seeing what we get!

1. Yago
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

First! I really shouldn’t…

2. GeekFurious
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

And we will each watch it 2,000 times before a new pope is selected.

3. Hollyoak
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

It may be time to raise the Brotherhood without Previews banner.

Although I’m excited as hell.

4. Hannah
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

third! :D I can’t wait for season 3!

Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait for this full-blooded version :)

6. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Huzzah! Can’t wait to see this, it will bring our excitement for the new season to a boil!

7. Villane
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I wanna see some giants, mastadons, and some Direwolves please!!!!!

8. D'Arcy
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Exciting!

9. Currently watching the trailer
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Makes sense to have the same one in longer form, the trailer definitely feels short

With that said, it’s pretty epic and any more is even better!

10. Grijnwaald
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Whoop! Now I need to get my friend to give me a straight answer as to weather or not I can actually watch Season 3 at his place.

11. Cónal
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

excellent, i’ve watched the other trailer about 15 times so can’t wait to see more!

12. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

If I had to guess watch HBO Sat night before or after the prime time movie

13. zod
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

We’re all counting on you as usual, darquemode. :D

14. Cary Storm
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

This is very exciting.

15. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

The :60 one had an edit after the shot of the soldiers in the desert — you could tell another shot was suppose to come next, but they chopped it for Kimmel

16. Isabelle
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Great news–I am so thrilled to see it! Though it’s been rather torturous to wait the extra week, HBO’s delay in posting the new trailer makes sense. Look at the view count they’ve racked up for the short version!

Villane:
    I wanna see some giants, mastadons, and some Direwolves please!!!!!

You haven’t been watching the commentaries by any chance, have you? :-)

17. zod
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Isabelle: You haven’t been watching the commentaries by any chance, have you? :-)

Please explain? :O

18. the waif
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

be more specific plz. r thr no giants in upcoming season? man will get disappointed than.

19. Sky Aero
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Time in The Netherlands is 00.23!

That means it’s the 1st of March which means… PREMIERE MONTH!

20. Michael Draycott
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Villane:
    I wanna see some giants, mastadons, and some Direwolves please!!!!!

I haven’t expected the giants or mammoths to appear in the show at all. But, if we so get then, that would be a hell of a surprise :D

21. ebevan91
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Sky Aero:
    Time in The Netherlands is 00.23!

That means it’s the 1st of March which means… PREMIERE MONTH!

But for you it’ll actually be April 1st right?

22. The Dragon Demands
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

I’d be surprised if we saw those things north of the Wall, but I’m hoping to FINALLY get our first look at Shireen and Selyse.

23. Villane
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

I have, and assuming Alan Taylor is in the know, looks like we’ll be getting em. My favorite commentary so far has been Liam and Carice. Cunningham is so damn funny!

24. Villane
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Michael Draycott,

Alan Taylor says they’re coming in one of the Season 2 commentaries. Hopefully, he’s talking about the show and not just what he expects from the books.

25. Michael Harper
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Villane,

Awesome! :D That’s wonderful news!

26. Villane
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Michael Draycott,

There was also a recent post on Making Game of Thrones where Cat Taylor made a vague comment about having ‘some very big shoes to fill’ while filming in Iceland. Sounded like giants to me.

27. J
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

“Less Cohesive?” Is this finally an admission of sorts that HBO shat itself with the first trailer?

28. Turncloak
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

J:
    “Less Cohesive?”Is this finally an admission of sorts that HBO shat itself with the first trailer?

That comment was made by WiC and not HBO. Considering the insane view count I’m sure HBO loves their first trailer, as do I

29. WildSeed
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Two minutes is quite generous and really stirs up passion for the upcoming season.

Expectations are high, especially for such a bold and adventuresome S3.
    Bring it on !

30. Alan
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Re: Giants, there have been a couple of hints both from extras castings and discussions of effects that make it seem like they are definitely in.

Which is good, because

“I am the Last of the Giants”

part of Jon’s story is one of my favorite scenes in an entire book full of awesome scenes.

31. Alan
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

J:

Shat itself? 15M views?

People who know nothing about marketing need to stop talking like they know anything about marketing.

We’ll see if it helps to accomplish its goal when the ratings come out in early April and HBO will know pretty soon if subscriptions start going up, HBO GO views increase and Blu-Ray sales stay strong.

But whether or not a small segment of absurdly die hard fans found it cohesive or not has absolutely no bearing on whether HBO is happy with it.

32. argilac's antler
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Alan: Shat itself? 15M views?

/bows

33. zzz
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Hopefully at least one giant!

34. the other guy
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

60 more seconds of this awesome trailer ? Hell yeah !
    I hope we get to see all the characters who were missing in the 1 min version, and also, more quick 1 seconds glampses of spoilery scene for us book readers to get all excited about ! Speculating about this new season is actually a very good way to calm GoT addiction until the premiere. Still one month to go !

35. M
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Oh, whatever, the same people who found something to bitch about in the first preview will find something to bitch about in the second. Some people just like being unhappy.

Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

J:

37. Jambo
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Off-topic, but there was a GoT mention on Community tonight.

This season hasn’t been as good as the first 3, but I always hoped for some kind of homage from them – a full episode parody would just about be my favorite thing ever.

Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: It was a nod to the small contingent of fans who felt the trailer lacked a cohesive theme. Personally, I thought the trailer was fantastic. And I suspect HBO is quite happy with it as well.

I’m one of those who thought it was less cohesive, and I wasn’t crazy about the song, but the trailer grew on me after a few more viewings. All the clips from the various scenes look absolutely fantastic. Looking forward to this extended trailer.

39. Isabelle
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

zod,
    the waif,

As Villane clarified, either Alan Taylor or Rainer Gombos/Steve Kullback (gentlemen from the Visual Effects team) mentioned them being added in Season Three. It was in the commentary for episode ten. Sorry for the confusion!

40. Hi-Fi
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Here’s hoping for our first glimpse of Selyse and Shireen! <3

41. PhoenixDark
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I thought the first trailer was great, although admittedly the quick shots near the end did feel rushed. 16 million views though…I doubt one could call it a disaster.

Perhaps this one will feature more dialogue

42. Villane
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

You know, the more I think about it, I hope they hold off on the big fx heavy shots. How dissappointing would it have been if we got the wildfire explosion in one of the trailers? Save the big moments for the show so it’s more impactful

43. bgap
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

I love the Ms Mr Bones song and hope more lyrics are in the extended trailer. Fits perfectly, as if HBO commissioned it for the show.

Boy with a broken soul
    heart with a gaping hole
    Dark twisted fantasy turned to reality
    Kissing death and losing my breath

44. Mimsy
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:19 am | Permalink

*thud*

45. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 2:08 am | Permalink

*Whether

How awful of me

46. dragonreborn
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 4:21 am | Permalink

If WIC comment is right, the one we watched was the trailer of this trailer, and jimmy k. announcement was the trailer of a trailer of the trailer.

I’m done with trailers and posters. I want the episode 1 now!

47. aryastarks
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 4:36 am | Permalink

9 PM ET. What’s the time is it in Central Europe?

48. GotGotGot
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 4:46 am | Permalink

49. zod
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 4:52 am | Permalink

dragonreborn,

trailerception.

50. Turri
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 4:53 am | Permalink

aryastarks,
    3:00

51. Duff Man
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 8:50 am | Permalink

What will people complain about after we get this??

52. NorseWolf
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

So is Donal Noye going to appear at all? or am i going to lose my mind over how they decided to leave out one of the most badass and epic moments ever…

53. Shawn
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

I called this when the trailer came out and people were complaining about how it wasn’t cohesive and didn’t flow well.

Posted March 1, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Shawn,

Well called, then :)

55. sjwenings
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Duff Man: What will people complain about after we get this??

“Only half of it is new”, perhaps?

56. Matt
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

the 60 seconder did seem rather jumbled, instead of a cohesive narrative, it was more like “look at this coolness… and now THIS coolness! and now THIS coolness!”. glad to see the 2 min one is coming

57. Harry The Heir
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I wonder if they will give us a sneak peak of Jorah Mormont Killing Dany…… oh wait.

58. dizzy
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

They must need the ratings spike for Girls. Looking forward to it.

59. Michael Harper
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Anybody got any ideas on what the budget is this season? Season 1 had a budget of $60,000,000, and Season 2 had $69,000,000. I wonder if Season 3 has had a considerable RISE!

60. Mike Chair
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak: It may be time to raise the Brotherhood without Previews banner.

Although I’m excited as hell.

True, the BwP is not a BwB.

Banners unfurled!

61. ebevan91
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: “Only half of it is new”, perhaps?

“WE WANT NEW TRAILERS!”

*trailer airs*

“STOP GIVING SO MUCH AWAY DAMMIT!”

62. saark
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Im convinced some kind 0f evil genius runs HBO’s marketing division.

i’ve never seen such rabid frenzy among GoT fans for preview material. the slow trickle of info, the occasional splash of rumor and the rare trailer…. phew, i’ll freely admit this marketing strategy has TOTALLY worked on my feeble will. i am sold. but then again i always was.

63. Julio
    Posted March 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

The latest GOT trailer was amazing@ I watched it after leaving my office at DISH and enjoyed every second of the extended peek. I can’t wait to see more drama, passion, and action when the premiere airs at the end of the month. I know I’ll still be visiting family then, but I can still watch it since I have a DISH Hopper. It lets my IPad access all of my DVR recordings and even play live television, so no matter where I am I no never worry about missing my favorite shows.

64. click through the
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

After looking into a number of the blog articles on your site, I truly like your technique of blogging.
    I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the
    near future. Take a look at my website as well and let
    me know your opinion.

65. ebevan91
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Julio:

Not to mention DISH likes to harass you by calling your house every day asking for their services.

1. [...] extended trailer got here a day sooner than we expected! HBO has just released this longer version of the Game of [...]

2. [...] extended version of the Game of Thrones season 3 trailer has been released as previously announced. The trailer includes sightings of Stannis, Melisandre, Yara, Thoros of Myr, Brienne in peril, and [...]