Interviews with Tobias Menzies, Rose Leslie and more
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Credit: Helen Sloan/HBO

Credit: Helen Sloan/HBO

Access Hollywood has a new interview with Tobias Menzies, who will be playing Edmure Tully this season, where he talks about Game of Thrones for the first time. Here is a bit where he compares Rome to Game of Thrones:

Access: How did making ‘Game of Thrones’ compare to the scale of ‘Rome’? I think there are reports that they spent over a million on every episode of ‘Rome.’

Tobias: ‘Rome’ was just before the crash and [it] seems like a bit of a golden age now, in terms of budgets. I feel like ‘Game of Thrones’ is very similar in terms of the sheer size of the project. I think ‘Rome’ probably just outbid it a little. But, to no effect. I thought the sets and stuff — the look of ‘Game of Thrones’ — is second to none. It’s great.

Access Hollywood also had a chance to chat with Rose Leslie and she talked about one of the fun new things she got to do this season as Ygritte.

Access: You may not have seen the trailer, but in one of the flashes, you’ve got a bow and arrow.

Rose: I do. I was so happy to be holding a bow and arrow. I was so happy about it because I just thought it embodied Ygritte, as to who she is, being such a fiercely independent character. She’s powerful and strong and I felt that a bow and arrow fitted her beautifully… I was able to kind of do some archery lessons before just so I didn’t look like a right numpty [Editor’s note: British slang for fool] when I was drawing back the bow… just so that I looked a little bit authentic. But it is really cool. Oh, I loved it!

Rose Leslie in EW

She also spoke to Entertainment Weekly and talks about getting into character.

After getting cast, Leslie dove into the books (she’s currently on Book 4). “I wanted to throw myself into the world of Westeros,” she says. As a member of the Wildling tribe, the actress shoots the bulk of her outdoor scenes in Iceland. She says the toughest thing about the extreme environment isn’t the cold, but walking in thick snow while trying to stay in character on camera. “You become very aware that this is Ygritte’s home, she’s incredibly comfortable in this particular surrounding,” Leslie says. “You can’t look like you’re working so hard to trudge up a hill. I’m like panting inside.”

Lastly, here are a bunch of video interviews with Game of Thrones cast.

HBO Bulgaria has a whole host of interviews with the cast from the recent London press junket. You can watch them all here (videos 4-10).

MTV UK also has a bunch of video interviews, presumably from the same event. Start with Gwendoline Christie and the rest will autoplay.

1. D'Arcy
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

The HBO Bulgaria videos are a good watch, although the interviewer seems to not understand the difference between “What’s your character’s favourite feature?” and “What do you like most about your character?”

2. Ross
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Nice interview with Tobias Menzies, although I hope they don’t overplay Edmure as a ‘doofus’ (in their words). He came across as a flawed but sympathetic figure in the books and I hope they manage to reflect that.

3. MockingTheFlayedLion
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

4. Øyvind
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

That sure is shiny, flowing hair for someone living in the wilds.

5. Stark
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

What was the budget for Rome? Have they raised the budget for GoT season 3?

6. Ross
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

MockingTheFlayedLion: I had almost forgot that Tobias Menzies was in this. A great actor, I absolutely loved him in Rome.

Isn’t it incredible the number of well-known (or reasonably well-known) high-quality actors and actresses they have secured for even the ‘minor’ roles? The casting has been an unqualified success for this project.

Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Stark:
    What was the budget for Rome? Have they raised the budget for GoT season 3?

I believe it was in the neighborhood of $100 milllion for the first 12-episode season. Thrones did get another budget increase for season 3, I don’t think any hard numbers have come out yet but their budget is probably in the range of $65-75 million now.

8. Jason Nichols
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Øyvind,

I hope you’re being sarcastic.
    This was for a photo shoot for a magazine.

9. LanLanLurker
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I just hope they do a good job with Riverrun in the credit map intro.

10. ebevan91
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

LanLanLurker:
    I just hope they do a good job with Riverrun in the credit map intro.

I love watching the new places pop up on that map.

11. Arkash
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink
  12. Greg
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I just can’t with that HBO Bulgaria interviewer…

13. The Flayed Man
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Greg,

“Reeee-alm”

14. The Flayed Man
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

The way some of the questions are asked…”Do we lack magic in the real world?”
    Of course we do! What kind of a question is that? Thank the gods for such an interesting cast, if not for their amazing charisma, these interviews would be terrible.

15. Tom Hilton
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

That Tobias Menzies interview is the second time this morning I’ve seen a writer say “poured over” (as in liquid) when they meant “pored over” (as in reading). It’s an interesting interview, so it’s a shame to see it marred by sub-literate errors like that.

16. flame
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Et tu Edmure?

17. Tom O' Sevens
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Tom Hilton,

Grammar police! Is that u Stannis Baratheon?

18. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I’m excited to finally have an interview from Menzies, and a nice promo photo. He hasn’t been given a lot of attention in the preseason stuff, he wasn’t even in the New Characters video, which makes me worry that Edmure’s scenes will be minimal except for his botching up of Robb’s plan that a source mentioned, the Red Wedding, and Hoster’s funeral. Hopefully that doesn’t mean anything, and we’ll see plenty of him. I just love the character and he’s such an amazing actor.

The MTV interviews are great fun.

19. ebevan91
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Those video interviews were cringe-worthy. Not because of the actors, but because of the woman interviewing them. A couple of the questions were stupid and the actors had a hard time answering.

20. Nick_Scryer
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Some good interviews here. Nice to hear from lesser interviewed people like Tobias and I hope for a Tara Fitzgerald interview soon. Hilarious that Tobias doesn’t want to become too famous from the show.

The MTV interviews were probably best, I have such a man crush on Nikolaj.
    The HBO Bulgaria interviews were strange and awkward. But they did show something.

Sophie Turner is the English Jennifer Lawrence. Extremely talented actress, Funny, chilled, down to earth and absolutely gorgeous.

21. Jay Sutherland
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

If anyone remembers my audition video I’ve had some good news… my audition video featured in an article in The Huffington Post about “Five Entrepreneurial Film Professionals”. You can read the article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-hamdy/five-entrepreneurial-film_b_2759581.html

All very good, but I still need your help. It’s my belief that casting for season 4 will start within the next couple of months and I am going to try my hardest to get Nina Gold to view my video. To do that, I want to make the video unavoidable for her, and that means as many views, comments and likes as possible would be a great help. If you want to help, please share the video with as many people as you can; tweet it, share via facebook… anything. I wouldn’t usually ask for help in this way, but this is my dream production and all I want is an audition – the chance to convince them.

It’s not as if I’m some crazy fan who wants to be in the show – I’m a professional actor with a good deal of experience behind me, who just happens to be a huge fan of the books and the show.

Any help would be much appreciated.

22. Kosis
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I thought that pic of Ygritte was Robb for a second…

23. QueenofThorns
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

It’s too bad they seem to be “dorking up” Edmure, making him a 2D cardboard character for laughs isn’t my idea of good writing.

I hope they at least keep in the bit where he chooses to save his people from raiders at the expense of military strategy – I feel like that really made him a sympathetic, man of the people kind of leader, in stark contrast to anyone else, including even, well, the Starks.

I’m guessing though they’ll just make it seem like everything his fault. …Maybe even the RW, though I hope not. :/

24. the other guy
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I was curious after seeing a lot of people comment about the HBO bulgaria interviews, so I watched the NCW one. It was painful to watch… I’m sorry for this woman, but I feel like pretty much everyone who watched the show could have done a better job interviewing these wonderful actors.

25. ebevan91
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

the other guy:
    I was curious after seeing a lot of people comment about the HBO bulgaria interviews, so I watched the NCW one. It was painful to watch… I’m sorry for this woman, but I feel like pretty much everyone who has watched the show could have done a better job interviewing these wonderful actors.

NCW’s was by far the worst.

26. Carina
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Does anyone know is Rose Leslie is coming to NYC for the expo.
    Thanks

27. MockingTheFlayedLion
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Stark,

I’m not sure how correct this is, but it will at least give you an idea of the budget. And Rome had 12 episodes instead of 10.

28. Jacarb
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    I’m excited to finally have an interview from Menzies, and anice promo photo. He hasn’t been given a lot of attention in the preseason stuff, he wasn’t even in the New Characters video, which makes me worry that Edmure’s scenes will be minimal except for his botching up of Robb’s plan that a source mentioned, the Red Wedding, and Hoster’s funeral. Hopefully that doesn’t mean anything, and we’ll see plenty of him. I just love the character and he’s such an amazing actor.

The MTV interviews are great fun.

As far as promotion is concerned, the character is doomed to be somewhat low on the totem pole of importance because he’s always going to be sharing the scene with Robb and Cat. He’s not a new family with new traits, like the Reeds, and he’s not going to be stealing scenes like Olenna. I imagine he’ll still be very present (and in that, important), but on par with Missandei. Who is going to have tons of screen time as Dany’s interpreter and only living handmaiden (later on, this second part makes it crucial that they aged her up…), but still always secondary.

29. Ed
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Øyvind:
    That sure is shiny, flowing hair for someone living in the wilds.

almost looks ‘shopped to me. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was a fake mockup.

30. Josh
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

The MTV interviews are great fun.

Does he really do that much else in the book? He has a couple more moments but in terms of importance that’s all he does that I can remember.

31. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

While I enjoyed the HBO Bulgaria interviews, I couldn’t help but notice the interviewer was not well equipped with research beforehand, some questions were pointless (Like the one about magic and the one where she asks which “Reeeaaalm” they’s rather live in), difficult to interpret and not tailored to the individual characters/actors.

Sure, some of the cast made it easier for her like Maisie and Rose (the lovely people they are) but others caught on to the fact that she wasn’t very good! I have no idea why I wrote that much and I’m not sure anyone even cares but hey, come at me bro.

32. Nic
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Arkash:
    There is also that brand new GRRM interview… http://www.omnivoracious.com/2013/03/valar-dohaeris-an-interview-with-george-rr-martin.html

Interesting interview – Thanks for the link.

33. KG
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Tom Hilton,

That makes two of us; it’s such a basic error. They should be embarrassed.

34. KG
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Josh,

Shh you’ll get all the “Edmure is the best character EVARRRR” fans stirred up. Just nod and back away.

35. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

QueenofThorns,

Enh. I hate interviews like this because the actors try to define the character yet it’s the writing, editing and framing of the scenes that make the complete picture of the character. Now initial worries about making Edmure a clutz are justified (not every character in the books has been adapted properly) but we don’t want to make a knee jerk reaction to comments made and think “OMG I haven’t even seen it yet but they ruined it!”. Edmure is kind of dorky and a poor actor could exploit that the minute detail. But Tobias is a master thespian and knows that the secret to great comedy is pathos, so while we may see a punctuated incompetence to Edmure, I believe Menzies will be able to balance that with other qualities. His Brutus in the early episodes of Rome is a prime example of this.

And just to play devil’s advocate, the more doofus-esque qualities Edmure exhibits the less agitated some viewers will be about his coming nuptials. In fact in the events leading up to and during the Red Wedding (before the floor show) some humour will fake the audience out and leave them vulnerable to suprise at Martin’s imminent cruel twist of fate.

36. GerB40
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Ross,

I always thought of Edmure Tully as the loveable f*ck up we all know. He generally means well but things just never work out for him.

37. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

KG,

I don’t think the condescension is necessary, thanks.

38. Fran
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I never viewed Edmure as a complete screw-up. I always thought he was a bit unaware of how his actions affected others. Though when everything all got a bit tense at Riverrun and he was captive I really didn’t want him to die. After all he survived the whole Red Wedding fiasco and has got a wife and child. I’m more looking forward to Brynden ‘Blackfish’ Tully to be honest.

39. WheelofIceandFire
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Maisie Williams reminds me of Chloe Moretz in her interview (im a grown man and the two of them happen to be two of my favourite actresses)

40. Lux
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Jay Sutherland,

I myself would love to contact Nina, and am too an actress, maybe we could talk about some.. hmm.. strategies?

41. Hexonx
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

off topic,

I put together this video of Dany set to Skinny Puppy’s song “Cult”. The lyrics fit her storyline nicely:

42. queenofthorns
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I agree with you for the most part, and I have every confidence that Mr. Menzies is up to the task of giving a nuanced performance of whatever material he’s given. The casting and acting in this show has never been bad.

What I’m less certain about is the quality of that material. The showrunners sometimes lack complexity in their writing of certain characters – and not always minor ones – take Littlefinger, Dany, or Jon for example, all are more one-note than their book counterparts. Even Tyrion suffers from a bit too much shining up. Likewise Catelyn is less politically astute than in the books, and the list goes on.

Anyway, I’m not panicking or anything, I just think it would be a shame if he was just made out to be a total scapegoat for everything that happens, or even if his character is portrayed as just totally useless. I could see them doing this in order to make things simpler for the screen, and because it’s similar to the sort of thing they’ve done in the past with characters.

GerB40,

MTE! Means well, tries to do good, but everything gets fucked up anyway.

43. Juego de tronos
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I love Rose Leslie a lot.

44. Booraz
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

This is the first time i realized that he played Brutus In Rome. He was absolutely fantastic. He is gonna be excellent Edmure

45. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

I feel that sometimes they strive for complexity while trying to simplify things but they have trouble balancing things out so that you really have to look for that complexity. They present an archetype and try to dig into the character yet they emphasize the archetypal qualities over the inner conflicts. This restraint I think is the writing and the production not coalescing. Book II should have been two seasons, but they wanted to get to ASOS more than anything. The two season split will hopefully give more breathing room for the less complex written characters to be explored. I think they made Jon green in season 2 because they were worried about the Mary Sue factor. Perhaps they plan to give Jon some real meat this season. I also think they will transfer the qualities and mentoring of the Halfhand to Mance Rayder in the series. I think it was their intention to use the Halfhand the way they did. Not that everyone liked that choice of course ;-)

46. mariamb18
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

ebevan91: NCW’s was by far the worst.

Yes…and the look on his face throughout the interview was hilarious. He knew she was a terrible interviewer.

Carina:
    Does anyone know is Rose Leslie is coming to NYC for the expo.
    Thanks

We still don’t even know where the expo will be held in NYC

As far as Edmure, I am sure that Tobias will do justice to all aspects of his character. Edmure is appealing – to me, anyway – because he is flawed.

47. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Juego de tronos:
    I love Rose Leslie a lot.

Also this

48. Jay Sutherland
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Lux,

Let’s talk. :) Are you on twitter? Follow me and we can DM and plan our assault on the show!

49. Tom Hilton
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Tom O’ Sevens,

More usage than grammar, and no apologies for it. Words have meanings. People who want to use words should first learn what they mean.

50. Tom Hilton
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

KG,

Glad I’m not the only one…

51. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Jay Sutherland,

I wish both of you the best of luck ;)

52. Udi
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Uhh! Those HBO Bulgaria interviews made me squirm. Still, the actors on this show are so nice, intelligent and talented that something good is bound to come of it, even though the interviewer was so “meh”

53. Lux
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Jay Sutherland,

aaarggh no twitter, hmmm I see you are “linked” by your pseudo; do you give an email adress on this site? then our taking over the GOT set may begin

54. Napoleonbuff
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

QueenofThorns,

Funny, my recollection was that he only did what he did to boost his own ego, and that he was generally a doofus…although this doesn’t make him unsympathetic, in my opinion, as most of us are probably more like Edmure than like Robb or the Blackfish.

55. Phil
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Øyvind,

it definitely looks more “Ygritte-y” though

56. Al Swearengen
    Posted March 15, 2013 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Although Menzies isn’t how I pictured Edmure in my head he’s still a world class actor and I am over the moon to have him joining GOT.

57. Serjeant Grumbles
    Posted March 15, 2013 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Thank you, Rose Leslie, for introducing me to the word ‘numpty.’

58. Lux
    Posted March 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Jay Sutherland:
    Lux,

If you saw my last response forget it, I managed to get back an account created a long time ago: tweeted you and followed you, so let’s move our planning there ok? :D

59. Julie
    Posted March 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Sophie Turner is gorgeous !
    Amiable and lively.