Kit Harington on broken ankles and body doubles
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

JonWe weren’t the only ones to interview Kit Harington recently, James Hibberd of Entertainment Weekly also has a good interview with the Thrones star where he talks about his broken ankle.

Game of Thrones co-star Kit Harington came home to his London flat last July after a night of partying and realized he lost the keys. No problem. He’d just climb into his first-floor window. Then he fell.

“Everyone always says you must have done it on set horse riding or running across glaciers or something cool,” sighs Harington about his shattered ankle. “I was an idiot. The ‘invincibility of youth’ and all that. I couldn’t even blame it on a film set. And I had avoided skiing for ages because I thought I’d break my ankle!”

Luckily the injury happened early enough in the year that with some reshuffling of the filming schedule, Harington was able to shoot his scenes without too much trouble. They did end up using a double for some of his scenes, which took some getting used to for Kit.

Yet watching somebody else play Jon Snow required a bit of patience. “I had ownership issues,” Harington says. “Even if it was just somebody walking I had a problem not going up to the guy and telling him how to do things differently. You don’t think you create a walk for a character, but you [do].”

Winter Is Coming: EW is doing a good job coming up with fresh angles for their daily Thrones coverage. On a related note, has any one had a chance to get the EW issue? If so, what did you think of the Thrones article?

1. Jasonw
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

it would be a much cooler story if it was Isaac Hempstead-Wright that fell.

jk

hope kit gets better

2. GeekFurious
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Does Kit not have a publicist???

He broke his ankle while saving his co-star from a rampaging horse!

3. mags giantsbabe
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Haha!

WiC, they posted some scans of the EW article over at kitharington.com. It was in whole a great read with lots of juicy details. Throughout the feature many different aspects of the production are covered and each easily flow into another. It was well written and there are some great character shots too. This is my take on it. Although, one thing that has me slightly troubled is the way Ygritte’s story line will be portrayed, as the magazine states that she “needs to keep her romance with Jon hidden from her tribe, lest they find out she’s romancing a traitor”. This is how the article paints it.

4. Jen
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

According to EW’s site, the Game of Thrones issue doesn’t come out until the 22nd :( … I went looking for it on Friday, but didn’t see it at Walgreens – boo.

5. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

When I was in college, a girl impaled herself on a fence post after jumping out her dorm room window from the 2nd floor.

Point being, booze and windows don’t mix.

6. Nancy
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I have the issue. The article is good, the pictures turned out well. It looks like some of Kit’s quotes come from the article. It is not very spoilery if you have read the books…though there are strong hints of things to come without naming them.

7. mags giantsbabe
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Wildseed, if you read this, I answered you over at the previous Kit interview :)

8. Richard
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

as Adam on GIRLS would say, “Jesus f*cking Christ, kid, be careful!”

9. JamesL
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

It doesn’t say that, it says “This season Ygritte is drawn closer to Snow, but run the risk of her tribe discovering she’s romancing a traitor” That doesn’t mean she has to has to hide the fact that she romancing Jon Snow. The wilding don’t consider Jon a traitor but they are suspicious of him. It mean they run the risk of the windings discovering that Jon still considers himself a member of the Nights Watch.

10. Patchy Face
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Read the EW – it was interesting but a little too spoilery….a lot of non-book readers subscribe to EW.

11. mags giantsbabe
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

JamesL

Then I must have misunderstood. I also understand the wildlings to be only rather suspicious of Jon. It’s “kneelers” that they have a problem with. I just didn’t get why they would use the word “traitor” from a wildling’s perspective in the article. But now I do, thanks. The initial impression I had was that they were going to turn the romancing into a cliche (secret love), but if that’s not the case then great :)

12. Cliomuse
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

The GoT crew are clever. They could have shot all the post Queenscrown scenes first because a broken ankle could produce a genuine and useful limp if show Jon takes a certain arrow to the thigh.

13. Jay Sutherland
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but a few of the GoT cast were interviewed on the Jonathan Ross show last night.

14. Anne
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly so my issue came 3 days ago. It has great coverage of the new season, although it’s all a bit spoilery. (at least for non-readers) There’s a great, romantic looking photo of Jon and Ygritte together, that I haven’t seen published on their website.

Barnes and Noble has had this issue on their newsstands since Friday so if you’re looking for it, head there now.

15. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink
  16. Sigmund
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Did he happen to find out his neighbour was f*cking his sister?

17. Anne
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

yup, that’s it. Nice Photo.

18. mags giantsbabe
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Already downloaded that photo onto my phone too, it’s sexy!

Kit doesn’t have a sister :D

19. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Anne,

I really like Ygritte’s costume. And judging by the latest trailer, she’ll be wearing it in the cave scene. For a few moments, I mean. : )

20. Isabelle
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

The grocery chain Giant has the EW in their magazine section–I found it Friday afternoon. Lots of fun filming tidbits, and some outright spoilers (Sansa getting married for one).

Favourite bit:

According to DB Weiss “[Diana Rigg] watched the show’s previous seasons, and then during her first meeting with the producers gave them a charming smile and said, ‘There’s an awful lot of bonking, isn’t there?’” Priceless.

21. Selmy
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Winter is Coming

When are we supposed to have the season 3 soundtrack released?

22. Al Swearengen
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

Aww how cute.

23. argilac's antler
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

He meant the neighbor’s own sister…get it?

24. WildSeed
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

And here I am thinking that Kit had an accident breaking into his mom’s basement :D

25. Megan
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

What age can you stop using the young = idiot excuse? He’s 26, and I thought I was too old to use it now at 24. cool!

26. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

OT: I just saw the ‘No Mercy’ trailer on HBO. It is the best trailer yet, by far, IMO. It is loaded with new/extended looks, including:

- Daario,Greyworm, and Jorah fighting inside the walls of a city
    - Brienne and Jaime in the bearpit together
    - Joffrey walking Sansa down the aisle for her wedding
    - Melisandre in a cave with Thoros and what looks to be Beric
    - A voiceover by Jojen talking about the Whitewalkers
    - A scene where the NW look to be burning something out in the snow, with Ghost standing beside them
    - A look at Summer(likely as Bran is warged into him)
    - A scene where Tyrion says “Seven Kingdoms, all living in fear of Tywin Lannister”(This looks like a scene between Tywin,Tyrion, and Cersei)
    - A scene with Roslin Frey being undressed(the bedding at the RW!)
    - A final scene with Dany holding a chained Drogon and a shot of him spewing flame(which looks much better than the flames in the HOTU from last season)

There are some more scenes, this is just all I could remember.

27. juego de tronos
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

You Know nothing, Jon Snow.

28. Isabelle
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink
  29. Isabelle
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I need to spend more time on the trailer threads–ninja’d! :-)

30. Renaud
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

That bit on the double and the way he walked is very interesting.

As an very very amateurish director, I have always been interested in the way a character walks. It is supposed to reflect its whole character in my opinion. Michel Simon for example, was probably the best ever to create characters only through walking. And in Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage and Iain Glen are really, really good at this as well.

31. mags giantsbabe
    Posted March 18, 2013 at 12:38 am | Permalink

*facepalms*, I get it now thanks!

32. WildSeed
    Posted March 18, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

Thanks!

33. body wrap
    Posted May 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Very good info. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!