GRRM reveals a Dunk & Egg series has been discussed
By Ours is the Fury on in Media, Press.

In a new interview with IGN, George R.R. Martin discusses the potential new shows he’s pitching as part of his development deal with HBO, and reveals that a Dunk & Egg series is still a possibility. Martin confirms he is only pitching these shows, and does not plan on writing them, because his priority is completing his A Song of Ice and Fire series.

When asked about the possibility of HBO adapting the Dunk & Egg tales, Martin expresses his enthusiasm for the characters and confirms that a show based on their adventures has been discussed. He also mentions he has ideas for nine or ten more D&E stories and adds, “Maybe that will be what we’ll do. We’ll see.”

Ours is the Fury: The Dunk & Egg novellas are perfect for an adaptation, fitting into the existing Game of Thrones universe while offering a less complicated plot and a somewhat lighter tone. That George already has so many ideas that could be used for the series is very promising.

1. GrzebykK
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

First.
    Whatta interview bonanza today!
    It’s great to hear that Dunk&Egg novellas are taken for consideration.
    I wish GRRM more time or cloning device.

2. Johnny3toes
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

HODOR!

3. direhound
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Would the tone of Dunk and Egg translate to HBO well? Feels like it could be a more uplifting show. Am I romanticizing how much softer D and E are?

4. Jaqen is Q
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

5. Coltaine777
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

How much does anyone want to bet that the science fiction series George was thinking of developing is the ‘ THE EXPANSE’ by his assistant Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham ? … it is fantastic imo and made for tv or movies. I would also like to add that I recently started Joe Abercrombie series ‘the First Law’ and I am blown away by it !!! …I can definitely see a production house developing it into a tv series or movies…

6. D'Arcy
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

DUNK! AEGON! YES!

I would love to see some of those Targaryens…

7. Darquemode
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Fun to hear, but there is “talking about” things and there is legitimate discussions on starting a series. Not the same thing, but I gss you do needthe first to lead to the second.

As they stand I would think D&E novellas would make a better series of movies (or 2-part mini-series) more than a 10 episode season of their adventures. Either way I would watch though! XD

8. Morgan King
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

The tone might be a little less dark, but they are still plenty brutal when it comes to the combat. Plus, as far as Thrones seasons down the road goes, it gives them a chance to cast the actor for Bloodraven, who is assumed to be Bran’s Three-Eyed Crow greenseer.

9. Kell
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

D’Arcy,

Spoilers !

10. the goat
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Anyone who decries this idea will receive a clout on the ear

11. the goat
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Red or Black?

12. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I’d really like to see an adaptation, though I’m not looking forward to the part where Aerion Targaryen stabs the horse with the tourney lance :C

13. the goat
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

The more I hear, the more I like about this idea. & casting would be a breeze, the ASOIAF msg boards are full of perfect candidates for “the bastard of the Pussywillows.”

14. WildSeed
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

The man sounds like he’s got his priorities straight……….word to the haters
    out there *>*

15. Mescalinic
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Darquemode:

actually i think they are perfect for the 90-minute format (like Sherlock)..but i don’t think they will work. plus, D&E tales are not really good for a ‘loyal’ adaptation..maybe for a more ‘classic’ and open adventure show :)

16. Lars
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777:

Yeah, it is a great series – I would love this.

But my dream HBO sci-fi show would be Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

17. Macha
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Lars: But my dream HBO sci-fi show would be Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

I’ll drink to that.

18. kanjisheik
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Yeah, hope they do it like Sherlock, adapting each novella into a 90 minute episode.

19. jamesL
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

I honestly have no real interest in seeing a show like this on HBO until GOT is finished. I would prefer to see a GRRM sci fi show on HBO.

20. Chris
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

“Science fiction” series?
    I wonder if there’s any way we’ll see some of Martin’s “Thousand Worlds” future history.
    That stuff dates back to his fantastic short stores of the ’70s and ’80s, as well as Tuf and “Dying of the Light.”
    If you’ve never experienced that side of Martin, check out “Nightflyers,” “Sandkings,” “Song for Lya,” “Portraits of His Children,” or “Tuf Voyaging” for a real treat.
    I was so thrilled when “Nightflyers” was made into a movie.
    …then cringed when I actually saw it. That one’s ripe to be redone.
    “Sandkings” made a terrific episode of “Outer Limits” back in the ’90s.
    Some of those stories are so rich and well thought out, Martin could just email them in to someone… and get right back to Winds of Winter.
    Here’s hoping.

21. Lin Beifunk
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Someone please cry with me over “Doorways.”

:’(

22. Artem russia
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

HBO please make Dark Tower series! Its book exactly for you. It will be really awesome show and looks like Deadwood+Sopranos+Boardwalk empire+GoT…please PLEASE!!!

23. Frey Pie
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I haven’t read D&E (waiting on the collection), but more Westeros would be great!
    I’d love to see a Robert’s Rebellion miniseries.

24. Drfunk
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Excellent article from Cogman on S3 by RollingStone

If one of the mods want to put it up :D

25. Meg
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

ugh, just no….this is NOT the news I wanted to hear the day after Enlightened’s cancellation. Really sour on HBO right now. THAT SHOW WAS SO AMAZING. Sorry George, I think Mike White is my favorite dramatic storyteller on HBO.

26. First
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Brotherhood without Banners make a great fictional Band of Brothers/Pacific-style miniseries. One specific story about a band of brothers on a mission during the War of the Five Kings. That’s a great story in itself. Sent out by the Hand of the King on a mission to stop Gregor Clegane, who subsequently becomes the weapon of choice for a new Hand of the King.

27. humanbeing
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

28. Critical Geek
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

“HEY, I’VE GOT ALL THESE NON GOT GREAT IDEAS I’M PITCHING TO HBO…sigh, yes, and I’m pitching Dunk and Egg as well…”

29. Mormegil
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

humanbeing: To be honest, I really want to see a WildCards series, but as George was only really a shepherd of other writers in that case, it’s very improbable. But it could do for superheroes what GoT has done for fantasy, namely bringing a sense of adult-oriented realism. The budget would probably be even crazier than GoT, however. But I can always dream…

There’s a Wild Cards film in development.

30. Khal-A-Bunga
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Meg:

It’s really a shame that Enlightened was cancelled, but on the other hand, I don’t know that a third season could have wrapped the show up better than the second season (and now series) finale did. Luckily, Mike White still has a deal with HBO (similar to Martin), so I’m excited to see what his next project is with them.

As far as a Dunk & Egg series goes… No thanks. I agree with some of the other posters that it is probably better suited to a mini-series or even a few original HBO films, but at the end of the day I’m a bigger HBO fan than I am a Martin fan, and would like to see them tackle some more interesting projects than this one.

At one point, HBO was airing The Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnivàle, Rome, Big Love, Entourage, Six Feet Under, and Sex & The City simultaneously (though only through 2005-2006). I really enjoy all of their programming they’re currently airing (Boardwalk Empire, Treme, True Blood [to a lesser extent], Girls, Veep, and The Newsroom), but am also ready to see them tackle some of their long-gestating series (such as True Detectives, The Leftovers, The Missionary, and American Gods).

And honestly, if another big-budget series is going to get the green light, I’d like to see them take on the science-fiction genre. The aforementioned Hyperion series would be fantastic, but I think the Commonwealth duology by Peter Hamilton (Pandora’s Star and Jerusalem’s Lot) would work better as a TV series.

So while I wouldn’t necessarily be against a D&E series (or whatever it would ultimately end up being), I’d prefer that HBO work on bringing any number of their other projects to fruition.

31. fiendebass
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Anything by Robin Hobbs while you’re at it, HBO

32. the goat
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Wow, so much ear-clouting on the horizon! Just cuz some red carpet interviewer says “series” dont necessarily make it fuckin so. As novellas, theyre perfect for TV movie/miniseries adaptation, something else HBO does extraordinarily well. Not to mention how seamless that would be with the time between the stories/Egg’s aging. Ffs

33. Ashton Lee
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

It would be a great spinoff, they just need to find the right actors. And it would give us a lot of backstory, some of which is still important since Maester Aemon and Walder Frey were already around, and the whole Blackfyre rebellion still has effects.

34. crowD
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

This is a good news to hear!
    There must be a poll for Dunk and Egg!!!

And is there any possibillity of making movie about Robert’s Rebellion yet?
    Always want to see the End of ancient blood-line dynasty, battle, love, fire, death, blood heroes in a one good piece of story…

35. John
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Jaqen is Q: I hope this reassures the people who were worried about George never finishing the books.

Why would this reassure anyone about anything. Of course he *says* his priority is to finish the books. His actions speak otherwise. Frankly, Martin does not deserve the benefit of the doubt until he actually writes another excellent book in a timely fashion. A Storm of Swords came out in 2000. Hasn’t happened since.

36. the goat
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 12:56 am | Permalink

John,

Take a “timely” stroll, out the Moon Door

37. donks
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 1:33 am | Permalink

i would LOVE to see mance rayder’s story adapted into a miniseries. there could be potentially a full 10 episode season starting from his teenage days right through to his betrayal of the night’s watch
    Frey Pie,

38. please please please
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 2:48 am | Permalink

I REALLY hope that by “historic stories”, Mr. Martin means “Black and white and red all over”. It was so painful to face the fact I’m never going to read an ending to that amazing sotry, and HBO are the perfect place to adept such a story to TV.

I wander indeed what science fiction show Martin is talking about, as I wasn’t awere HBO had any intention to do that kind of thing. If they will do them, I agree that “The Expanse” probably works better than any of the science fiction stories Marting wrote for TV (mostly because all of them are very short and more fit for a movie than a series spanning 40-50 hours), however as much as I’d like to see “Hyperion” on a screen I don’t think that’s as practical as “The Expanse”.

What I believe is the most likely outcome of all this is a tv show of “The Skin Trade”, or at least an incorporation of key story elements from that story into a new season of True Blood.

39. Summer is Coming
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Dunk & Egg! Can they do it before S5? To introduce Bloodraven in this new series, and the see him again, in his new rotten form in GoT! That would be awesome!

40. blatz
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Coltaine777:
    How much does anyone want to bet that the science fiction series George was thinking of developing is the ‘ THE EXPANSE’ by his assistant Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham ? … it is fantastic imo and made for tv or movies. I would also like to add that I recently started Joe Abercrombie series ‘the First Law’ and I am blown away by it !!! …I can definitely see a production housedeveloping it into a tv series or movies…

You have excellent taste! And I couldn’t agree more. Don’t stop at the end of Abercrombie’s First Law. Read them all: Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country are all great. Especially Red Country, Wow.

I’m on the Expanse book two now and I love it. I thought the same thing you did when he said “Sci-Fi idea”.

41. dizzy
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I would love to see Dunk & Egg developed. A series of HBO movies could work for that.

42. LordNoga1981
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

George,
    Go back to your lair and FINISH Winds of Winter! Then start the 7th! I dont wanna see or hear from you until you are done.

43. Jaqen is Q
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

LordNoga1981,

Yeah, cause George shouldn’t eat, sleep, socialize, or do any of the things regular people do when they’re not working. I’m sure that’s a real creative atmosphere to get things done.

44. digdoug
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

These are nice, but I would absolutely love to see something new. Perhaps a telling of Roberts Rebellion using motion capture alla Beowulf. You could use the principal cast from the primary show when applicable and use the computer to age them appropriately (young Robert, young Ned, etc).

45. the goat
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

LordNoga1981,

At the feast, you will be seated furthest from the meat.

46. Juego de tronos
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I like so much these stories and i hope that Martin will do a show about it.

47. Coltaine777
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

blatz,

Thank you …I definitely look forward to reading the rest of the ‘First Law’ series and I can’t put book 1 down …I can’t wait for book 3 of the ‘EXPANSE’ also, it comes out this summer…

48. Shock Me Sane
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:19 am | Permalink

I have to laugh at the people that somehow think George “owes” them a book. He could retire in wealth to his own private island at this point and never think about you again. We are lucky that despite his continued success he cares enough about the books to even write them at all. He is also only in his 60′s, and from all recent appearances in robust health. He could easily live another 30 years. Most people are retiring at his age, the man has worked hard and deserves some of the fruits of his success. You can wait five years for a book or you can write it yourself, I’m fairly certain how it ends in any case.

49. Shock Me Sane
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:24 am | Permalink

And in more relation to the OP, while Dunk and Egg would be awesome I’m still holding out for Tuf Voyaging. Although I don’t know how realistic that is to hope for (other than Battlestar which had only decent ratings despite critical praise, I can’t think of any recent Sci-fi TV shows that have performed well). Both would be even better!

50. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

TUF VOYAGING is almost certainly one of the shows that will be proposed to HBO. Actually, there is widespread speculation that THE EXPANSE could be pitched as well, although Peter F. Hamilton’s THE NIGHT’S DAWN TRILOGY is a much, much better fit for HBO (i.e. it has a lot of shagging in it as well as a great cast, epic scope etc).

I’d be interested to know what the two (or more) historical dramas GRRM is proposing. The Duron books might be one (and would fit his recent blogging about them) but I’m really hoping THE WARLORD CHRONICLES is the other. That would be awesome.

Posted March 22, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Hope so (ad TWC), they can demonstrate how a good Arthuriana series should be done.

52. Adam Whitehead
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

HBO would also probably not be above thinking, “Hey, we can show Starz how a King Arthur show should really be done.” :)

53. Delta1212
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Night’s Dawn has been at the top of my personal list of “Books I would love to see made into movies except for the fact that it would work better as a TV show or miniseries, which will never happen” for about a decade now. Then Game of Thrones happened and my hopes are now high enough to insert a ‘probably’ before the ‘never’.