Rolling Stone interviews Bryan Cogman
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Bryan CogmanRolling Stone’s Sean T. Collins recently interviewed Game of Thrones writer and executive story editor Bryan Cogman. They talk in depth about the adaptation process and what we can expect from season 3. Here are some choice quotes:

On translating the big moments from A Storm of Swords on screen in season 3:

Well, you always want to honor those key sequences and moments from the books, but at the same time they have to mesh with the world of the show and [Benioff and Weiss’s] interpretation of Westeros. Yeah, SoS is definitely the book we’ve all been working towards, so Season Three, and the upcoming Season Four, are going to be very special. More than once I found myself on set watching a scene play out and realize I’d been envisioning this scene in my head for years. I got lucky in that I was assigned an episode with several such fan-favorite scenes. Hopefully, book fans will like it, but you can’t please everyone.

On the adaptation process:

The key when approaching each season is figuring out the arcs for each major character. So, as you say, just cutting Book Three in half wouldn’t do it. We had to figure out a journey for each character that made sense for the season. It’s a challenge as some characters have significantly less chapters than others. Tyrion, for example, has something like 12 chapters in SoS, whereas Bran Stark has, I think, four? Someone will have to doublecheck those numbers for me.

On the question of just how many storylines and characters to feature each week:

It’s a question we’re always grappling with. Do we visit every single character in, say, the season premiere, or do we leave a few for next week? There are pros and cons to both options. You don’t want to leave characters for too long and screw up that storyline’s momentum, but you also don’t want to be constantly jumping all over the place and overwhelming the viewer.

Read the whole interview over at Rolling Stone.

Winter Is Coming: An interesting interview with Bryan, as always. I liked hearing how they are approaching the adaptation, by mapping out each seasonal character arc. It is definitely a challenge and will become moreso as they get later in the season. I’m sure Bryan and the other writers are up to it though!

1. GerB40
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

HODOR!!!

2. First
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Pretty sure I was linked to this a couple days ago… on this site…

3. ebevan91
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

It’s from Wednesday I believe. I read it on westeros.org

4. Ed
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Too bad he didn’t just ask the folks here… They’re all so smart, they know exactly how the adaption should have been done.

5. Seven Hells Bells
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Ed,

I believe AngryGOTFan, First of That Noble Name, should lead an adaption. Well, at least I’ll get my Weasel soup scene

6. zod
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

George has given us a fantastic set of toys to play with. David, Dan and I just met with him over a few days at his home in Santa Fe, and it was so exhilarating to hear him talk about the mythology of Westeros and what’s in store for the characters. It’s going to be a hell of a lot of fun moving forward.

That’s a conversation I would have loved to hear. ;-)

7. Delta1212
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

If I were adapting ASoIaF, I would include a scene where Jeyne Poole makes soup out of peaches, weasels, and blackened fish and then serves it to Jeyne Westerling for her supper.

8. mags giantsbabe
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

So, if I understand correctly, Bryan C penned “Kissed by Fire”.

9. Rygar
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

First! Hodor doesnt count.

Cogman is also the shit!

10. kingthlayer
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I wonder what kind of arc they will give Sansa if PW is not in S3. I agree with those who want it in S4, yet in terms of character arcs it would also make sense to close off S3 with it.

11. Juego de tronos
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

A Really great interview

12. Pirate
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

“I wouldn’t say a lot of time is spent consciously using other series as templates. Subconciously, well, I suppose The Wire, in that in my opinion it’s the greatest TV show of all time and it dealt with its own complex mythology, dozens of characters, very specific “worlds”, and intricate plots.”

This made me cheer! Because it is simply true, The Wire is the greatest TV show of all time. And knowing that the executive story editor of Game of Thrones thinks so as well is very reassuring.

13. Zack
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Can I just say how awesome this site becomes when the show is actually airing? It’s great year round, yeah, but when there are multiple, great stories per day posted to the main page everything gets like 100x better.

14. zaprowsdower
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

kingthlayer,

Well, her wedding (and the aftermath) and the Tyrell meeting will both for sure happen. I don’t know what sort of arc that gets her but those are two pretty important things that will be interesting to watch.

15. Shock Me Sane
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

While it would be a dramatic payoff to Sansa’s arc this season I think it would just be a narrative mistake to put it in. I expect it in the first 2 episodes of s4. Also she has another fantastic payoff to end season 4 on.

16. Shock Me Sane
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Plus you can always just end s3 with Littlefinger saying “It’s time to go home”. Also, unless HBO is the greatest keeper of secrets ever, The Red Viper hasn’t been cast. It would be awkward to have the PW without him in attendance.

17. House baratheon
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Pirate,

Ohhh yaaaa that’s great news. I couldn’t watch regular tv for years after watching the wire. It’s just perfectly done. G of T is a close second!!

18. Timmen
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Guys, seeing as the whole back-story with Elia being killed by the mountain isn’t of yet even mentioned in the TV Show, I don’t understand why people would think it out of place or odd that the purple wedding be in S3 in the final episode.

Just my opinion but heres what I think:

1. Like I said, what The Mountain did was an integral part of why Oberyn wanted to kill him, this has yet to be mentioned in the show.
    2. There are TWO(Count em, 2) Tyrion chapters between the Red Wedding and Joffrey’s Wedding. It’s not as big a gap timewise as people make out, and this would mean very early S4 would be this MAJOR event.
    3. For TV it would not just be recompense for the Red Wedding, it would set up S4 pretty well.

So, heres what I think will happen:

2. This means the LF storyline will have a proper ending of Sansa leaving KL.
    3. Its not suprising they haven’t cast an Oberyn, and they’ve said it so many times the logistics of the number of characters is too much and they combine characters etc. There hasn’t been any exposition on the mountain’s past, THEREFORE—>
    4. Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat.

19. Richard
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Great interview, I like the cut of this Bryan Cogman’s jib.

20. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Timmen,

I hope to all the old gods and new that you are wrong.

21. Timmen
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

So do I. On the Oberyn part at least, I don’t mind the PW ending a season as much though.

22. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Timmen,

I would put everything I own on them not cutting the Red Viper. He is a huge fan favorite and they would only have to cast an actor for one season. I don’t know why fans still freak out so much. Has this show not done the major moments right?

23. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

A woman’s favorite new saying, courtesy of the above Rolling Stone interview of Ser Bryan Cogman “A shitstorm of fun!”Fellows, you MUST read that interview in full!

24. Turri
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Timmen,
    Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat.
    Oh no you didn’t.

Shitstorm is coming.

25. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

“The big difference now is we’re not treating it as one book = one season.”

I thought this was interesting and suggests that we are going to be seeing elements of AFFC and ADwD in this season. Not a lot perhaps – but some. My guess is that Theon’s story is the main source of this mischief, but there you go. I suppose that there may well be others as well.

I also think that Cogman’s quote here puts to bed this ridiculous contention that the so-called PW will come in Ep S03E10: “There are tons of emotionally charged, game-changing character moments, all of which have huge ramifications going forward. I think it was felt that if we piled too many of those moments on top of each other, they would lose some of their impact.”

If you can’t read between the lines on that one, you are being willfully blind.

26. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Turri:
    Timmen,
    Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat.

A distinct possibility.

27. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

kingthlayer:

Also some very necessary vengeance after RW. It would also make the scene with the leeches much more meaningful.

28. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind: A distinct possibility.

29. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Timmen:

Just my opinion but heres what I think:

2. There are TWO(Count em, 2) Tyrion chapters between the Red Wedding and Joffrey’s Wedding.It’s not as big a gap timewise as people make out, and this would mean very early S4 would be this MAJOR event.

So, heres what I think will happen:

2. This means the LF storyline will have a proper ending of Sansa leaving KL.
    4. Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat.

I agree with the excpetion of 4. Season 3 should cleanse the show from a lot of actors (if you know what I mean) and make room for new additions such as Oberyn and the Greyjoys.

30. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Turri:
    Timmen,
    Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat.
    Oh no you didn’t.

Shitstorm is coming.

I always called ASoS “A Storm of Shit”, but no one ever listned :(

31. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind,

I don’t think so. In the S3 premier Bronn is already asking for more money to work for Tyrion. This is headed towards Cersei offering him more money not to fight for Tyrion in the trial. Oberyn Martell is not going to get cut. You said it yourself, the PW is not likely to happen this season. With that being the case it will be easy to introduce the RV in the premier of S4. They have not cut one important character from the story. They have delayed a few, but they have always cast them when they become necessary. They have name dropped the Martells and Dorne already. There is a zero percent chance they cut them.

32. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Here we go again with the PW in S3 crap.
    Not to be rude, but honestly people, get over it already. It’s getting as tiresome as the hate against Ros.

33. Adam
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Competely agreed that the PW shouldn’t – and probably (/hopefully) – won’t be this season. Like Cogman said, you don’t want to overwhelm the audience with too many big moments happening one on top of another, and this would be the golden example of just that. More importantly, it would cheapen the RW – we’d mourn for a week and then suddenly there’d be a new shiny thing to grab our attention. I don’t think that’s how the showrunners want to (or should) treat the scene they practically pitched the show so they could do. Much more satisfying to have the audience stew over the 42 week break in the wake of the RW, then surprise everyone with the PW – some long-awaited revenge – towards the beginning of S4. Especially given that the major deaths are happening generally at the end of the season, having one this big this early would be even more unexpected. I don’t see this not happening.

34. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

jentario: There is no way, NO WAY! That will be Oberyn and Oberyn alone. They’ve obviously kept him for season 4 and rightfully so.

35. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Valdred Dethstorm: being

[I want it but am not sure we will see it, btw]

36. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Steel_Wind,

Two words: Vargo Hoat

You may well be right. But “zero” percent? I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

37. jentario
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind: Possibilities are not the same as probabilities. Chillax. We’ll find out in the fullness of time in Season 4.

I’m chilled, but I’m also willing to bet an ass cheek on it if you’re into that… jk

38. Turncloak
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Timmen: 1. PW in S3 final episode, Mhysa. (Joffery was trying to say mother whilst clawing his throat wasn’t he?)
    2. This means the LF storyline will have a proper ending of Sansa leaving KL.
    4. Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat.

I have heard many dumb comments but this one takes the cake.

39. Selmy
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

jentario: Agreed. Whether or not PW is in season 3 will only be revealed in the season finale and that’s very far away. There is convincing evidence on both sides, so it is really pointless to talk about it so much. Let’s just wait and see…

[I want it but am not sure we will see it, btw]

Convincing evidence for the PW? Like what?

40. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind,

Did they name drop the Bloody Mummers? No. They have spoken of Dorne in both seasons and they have talked about the Martells. They had a scene where Myrcella was shipped off to Dorne to be fostered with them. They are not going to cut the Martells or the Red Viper out of the show.

41. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Yeah, Joffrey is going to speak Valyrian in the finale. The title for the finale is referring to one scene and one scene only, and we all know which one it is.

42. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

There is no convincing evidence to the end of Book 5 that the Dornish are remotely critical to the story which GRRM is telling in ASoIaF. Indeed, there is plenty of evidence that it isn’t. Much of what GRRM is doing with these characters is protracting a story and keeping the prophecy balls in the air. It is, for the most part, misdirection.

The Martells could easily be cut. The same can be said for Victarion, Euron and Damphair — none of which have appeared yet, either. I have real doubt that Jon Connington and our Mummer’s Dragon will ever appear in the series, too. Maybe… and maybe not, too. I remain on the fence on that one.

You may well be right, but I would not count on it. The cast can’t swell to the size that adherence to the novels requires. Something’s got to give – and all the extra subplots that GRRM has added in AFFC and ADwD are, I expect, going to be ruthlessly cut. If it’s a choice between keeping the Greyjoy subplot and the Dornish? Adios Martells.

You may well be right and I am sure as hell not saying that you are outright wrong; however, Wise Man once said: keep your words soft and sweet in case you are forced to eat them.

43. Turri
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Steel_Wind,
    And next season on Game of Thrones: who will win the fight to rule the Five Kingdoms of Westeros?

/come on, you must be joking

44. Maxwell James
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

There’s no reason they could not cast Oberyn without ever delving into the rest of the Dornish plot. After all, at most he’d be a 3-5 episode guest star. They could even introduce him in episode 1 next year should Joffrey die at the end of this season.

So I very much doubt Bronn would take over Oberyn’s role. There’s no good reason for it, and they’d cheat themselves out of some very memorable scenes.

But they COULD drop the rest of the Martell sub-plot, even though the family has been name-dropped. Not everything has to happen on screen. And there are limits as to how big the cast can get.

45. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

I don’t think cast size will be a problem after the next two seasons. They will be removing about 12-15 actors from the roster, if you know what I mean.

46. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Off topic: anybody read Michelle Fairley’s interview on Westeros? The posing of the last question is unintentionally hilarious. Elio’s questions weren’t that great, he seemed civil but I just had the impression it was a difficult interview for the both of them.

Gotta give Westeros credit though, they realize that the show has brought more hits to their site and they have to keep things balanced. Even though from what I hear they are enjoying season 3 thus far.

47. Leuf
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Steel_Wind,

If it were me doing the chopping I would take an ax to Meereen instead of Dorne. At the end of ASOS I would have Tyrion and Dany both go to Dorne. Cut out all the endless traveling in ADWD and get almost everybody on the same continent. Aegon can pop up in Dorne too if he’s integral to the story.

But then I’m in the camp that wants to speed up the telling of the story and get it done with an alternative ending from the books rather than drag it out and end up getting cancelled.

48. whiteladder
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Steel_Wind,

I can’t tell if you are being serious or if you’re just trolling (badly).

Cut the Martells? When Dorne/the Martells have been mentioned well over a dozen times in the first two seasons? When the murder of the Targ. children has been mentioned 3-4 times? When Tyrion shipped Myrcella off to Dorne — the main KL story in Cogman’s episode (Season 2, Episode 3)?

49. The Stannis Way
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Suggestions of the PW happening in season 3 were ludicrous enough. Now people are speculating that we might not have an Oberyn Martell? Give me a break. He is one of the most charismatic characters in the series if only for a few hundred pages. His trial by combat with the Mountain is one of the best moments of book 3. Cutting him would have made about as much sense as cutting Jaqen H’ghar. It’s getting hard to even read these threads anymore.

50. monsieurxander
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 1:47 am | Permalink

whiteladder,

Plausible deniability. Those name-checks could be used to set the stage for onscreen Dorne, or they could just be a little offscreen worldbuilding. I doubt they’ve decided definitively just yet.

51. The Stannis Way
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 2:08 am | Permalink

There may be certain elements of the Dorne story line that are cut, but Oberyn’s story line in KL is safe. No chance it gets cut.

52. Anna Krakina
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

It depends on which Westero’s owner you’re talking about… The one Sean T Collins answered not so long ago “yours is the song of ice and fire” on her twitter account wouldn’t agree so much .^^

53. Nick_Scryer
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Great interview. I can’t wait for Bryan’s episode this year. Looks like he’s writing the Hound’s Trial this year, possibly my most anticipated scene of the season. Can’t wait!

Hey Bryan if you’re here, can you please reveal the title of ep8? We have all the rest.

54. zod
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: Even though from what I hear they are enjoying season 3 thus far.

55. QueenofThorns
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

In the part about Fan reactions, I thought what the questioner was trying to get at was that fans actually love things like the Cersei x Robert scene and other invented scenes, not that they don’t like them.

Bryan seems to be a bit sensitive to the fan reactions stuff after the whole tumblr/twitter fiasco last year… :(

56. tws1978
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Leuf,

The key to book 5 is not to cut Meereen, but make the characters much deeper and interesting than the carricatures GRRM choose to write. If the show is able to introduce Meereen´s version of Varys and Meereen version´s of Cersei people will not mind spend season or more there just doing politics and watching Dany rule. Meereen is season 5 and 6 can very well be the central conflict as KL was in season 1 and 2. You even have another huge battle like Blackwater everything builds towards.

Meereen storyline really isn´t that difficult to adapt, because atleast Dany is staying at one place and has a defined set of goals and enemies. That´s something a good writer can work with. Tyrion´s story is much more complicated because he is the supposed lead of the show yet he spends two books just travelling and observing situation. His POV is mostly a device GRRM uses to show us the different sides of the upcoming war. It will take some creative decision to make his journey interesting.

57. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

zod: Yeah well, Linda has only read half of ASOS.. so she can’t really complain about changes, can she? ;-)

Huh? Missing the in joke here I guess :)

58. Anna Krakina
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

There’s no joke. Linda Antonsson claimed to have not read the last part of Asos, so how can she compare an adaptation to the original book if she didn’t even read it, i think that’s the point Zod tried to underline.

59. Leuf
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

tws1978,

I’m not saying Meereen can’t be made into an interesting story in its own right, but in the context of the show if you want to finish the series in a reasonable number of seasons Dany needs to get her ass to Westeros sooner than the books. There’s also an economy at play with having her come to Dorne. We need to be introduced to the Dornish characters, and the Meereenese characters at about the same time. By having Dany and Tyrion go to Dorne instead you’re cutting that in half. It’s hard to imagine any of the characters in Meereen having any effect at all on the larger story of the white walkers and the iron throne, while the Dornish ones certainly could. Anything that happens to Dany and the dragons can just as easily happen in Dorne.

My biggest problem with the last two books is what I call new character fatigue. There comes a point in a series, books or tv, where you have established the characters that you care about. To then push those characters off to the side while you just keep introducing new ones while the established characters largely have nothing to do is not a good idea. I got to the point where regardless of who that new character was or what was going on, I didn’t want to like it. My first (and only) read through Feast I ended up skipping all of the Dorne and Iron Islands related chapters because I was getting so frustrated by them. Then I went back at the end and read them as their own separate stories and actually enjoyed them.

It’s not that it’s not possible to make any of these side branch stories enjoyable on their own, it’s about keeping the composite from being less than the sum of its parts so the tree trunk doesn’t rot. You can put as interesting characters in Meereen as you want, but if people have already, perhaps subconsciously, decided they are tired of Dany’s story they aren’t necessarily going to like it. Getting her out of her separate story arc in less than five or six years would really help. If you want to finish the series in 7 years it’s necessary.

60. tysnow
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Timmen,

Bronn will stand for Tyrion in his trial by combat

There is no way in hell D&D won’t cast super fan favorite Oberyn Martell, period.

61. tysnow
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I have a Martell character that can be cut and not affect the story to much, Quentyn, because his ending amounted to a worthless sub plot. This removes HBO from casting three rolls, and screen time can be allotted to far more important elements of GoT.

62. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Anna Krakina,

WTF????

Your taking the piss out of me? Right? Because if that’s true I don’t have to take her seriously at all anymore.

WTF?????

63. Watson
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I know she professed to never having read the RW. I doubt she skipped much more than that.

As for the PW, I again have to question the imagination of anyone who thinks there is no way to stage the PW without Oberyn in attendance and just introduce him later. I remain ambivalent on the matter, but the talk of increased focus on Margaery and Joffrey’s relationship this season makes the idea her having him killed at the beginning of next season seem like a strange piece of storytelling. The two of them are clearly going to have story arcs too.

Also, because discussion on the matter seems to have veered slightly toward evidenced-based reasoning, I point you to my oft-ignored observation that WiC reported in August the filming of a major scene involving women in updo hairstyles, and 300 extras in a week when Cat Taylor tweeted that they were killing 3 characters that week, and (not in that report) a crew member tweeted about eating medieval cake. Filming of the Red and T&S weddings were each individually reported fully a month later as being ongoing. Unless somebody can provide an alternate explanation, I think there is at least some evidence that the PW is in this season.

64. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Watson,

3 characters? Robb, Talisa and Catelyn?

65. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Watson,

I’m pretty sure it was later confirmed that the extra’s and cake were for Tyrion and Sansa’s wedding.

66. Zack
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

I would hate that cut.

I mean, to me it would be like cutting the Blackwater battle. Just because the character is not victorious in his goal and nothing comes of his attempt doesn’t negate the value of the plot. It was a trial and failure of Dorne to gain a foothold for war. I don’t think they should only show ‘successful’ attempts. I found his chapters tremendously entertaining, most especially the final one.

I don’t see the value in cutting plot lines and hurrying the show along unless they plan on diverging from George’s vision almost entirely. As he said, he’d had offers to adapt the Lannister v. Stark plot, or the Dany plot, but they wouldn’t have been ‘his story.’ I feel like cutting not just characters but entire plot lines is getting awful close to doing that sort of thing and wouldn’t favor it.

I want them to adapt as much material as possible and thus be able to give Martin time to finish.

67. Watson
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I think people made that assumption. I’ve not read that any source confirmed it. It’s certainly possible that they filmed the reception a month before the ceremony.

68. Watson
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Zack,

Given that the storytelling, if not the story itself, has diverged quite wildly from GRRM’s original plan, I’m not sure there is an original vision to preserve. I think they should make the best television show they can, and I don’t think tracking previously unseen characters for several episodes before they interact with anyone we’ve seen before is going to work. I think Quentyn would be more interesting if he were presented as a cypher: arriving in Mereen and presenting himself to Dany without the viewer being aware of his intentions.

69. CT Wahoo
    Posted March 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Count me in the camp that thinks there is no way that the Red Viper is cut out of Season 4. In addition to his surprise arrival at KL and his attendance at the PW, he was one of Tyrion’s judges at his trial. Is Bronn going to do that too? Not to mention that his championing of Tyrion at the trial by combat against the Mountain was one of the best parts of ASOS. He’s only going to be around for one season anyway, so it’s not like consolidating his character into an existing one would save that much time and expense.

My biggest concern with character consolidation is with the Greyjoys. That HBO removed Victarion from the Greyjoy family tree on their site has me spooked that they are going to merge Euron and Victarion into a single character.

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

CT Wahoo,

What about Tyrion to Theon in “Cripples, bastards and broken things”? :

“I remember hearing sailors burn in Lannisport. I believe your Uncles were responsible.”

71. Atreyu
    Posted March 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Watson,
    Ms. Antonssen said she didn’t read a third of ASOS. That’s some serious real estate. Then again, not having read a few hundred pages of a book doesn’t constitute not having read a book. That’s how some people’s brains work, anyway.

72. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Atreyu,

It doesn’t make any sense for one of the most ardent defenders of Martin’s text not to have read the series in its entirety. I mean her and Elio worked with GRRM on Worlds of Ice and Fire…I wonder what Martin thought about that…if they told him of course.