Game of Thrones to return to Dubrovnik in season 4
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

Dubrovnik TV is reporting that Game of Thrones will return to the coastal Croatian city for the third year in a row. According to their sources, the filming there is slated to begin on August 13 and run until October. Thrones producer Bernadette Caulfield is in Croatia now, scouting out locations.

Winter Is Coming: No big surprise that they would be returning to Dubrovnik. It has made an excellent stand-in for King’s Landing. It also isn’t surprising that they would be scouting locations before even getting an official greenlight. They’ve been doing so since before season 1 even aired, at a time when getting another season was much, much more in doubt.

1. R0HaN
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hodor

2. Hannah
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Hodor! Hodor! Hodooooooooooooooor! :D

3. Nick_Scryer
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Not surprised.

I will be surprised though if they announce they’re going back to Iceland as it won’t be needed again until Winter comes right?

4. Kate
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Right, Iceland won’t be needed anymore after S3. It seems S4 will be filming “only” in three countries.

5. Arkash
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I much more doubtful about a return to Iceland. I dont think they will go back there.

Bran’s story beyond the Wall can easily be shot in Ireland and scenes at the Wall are too.

Except if they really need to translate Winterfell there (for the Dance part) when it will all be snowed.

6. gisizzlah
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

Maybe when they get the the ADWD arc when Bran goes beyond the wall

7. Nick_Scryer
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

gisizzlah,

Maybe, but I can only think of one scene where Bran and co. are not in the haunted forest, When they get ambushed just outside the cave.

And Winterfell covered in snow, depends if they want to move all the props to another country or just use fake snow and CGI.

8. gisizzlah
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

They may want to shoot some scenes for Dorne
    in Croatia, if they find the right places…. idk…

But they have to film ‘wider’ areas of King’s Landing as they go into the arcs of AFFC (the fall of Cersei) ….
    so it makes sense to look for more areas in Croatia to get the same asthetic…

Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Or use more of Morocco for Dorne, that’s another option. I would actually go for that …

10. A-Gone
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
  11. RamsaySnow
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Here I translate two bits of info in Croatian only from that video:

1) They are scouting for additional locations (outside Dubrovnik)
    2) They’ll need a record number of extras for the 4th season in Croatia, the reporter says that the number of extras is supposedly 400 (FOUR HUNDRED).

I don’t think they’ll need so much extras for KL. Is it for Meereen?

12. The Rabbit
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Maybe I am going completely crazy but nobody mentioned August in that video??!!

13. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

RamsaySnow,

Record number of extras for season 4? Can anyone say Purple Wedding!?!

14. markotom
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

yes, they have…. they are coming back in late August.

15. dizzy
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Exciting that they’re already gearing up for it.

16. gisizzlah
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

sorry for not putting the spoiler tag on my last comment *face palm*

17. Darquemode
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That makes sense given the location!
    (but I waso sure it wuld be in Season 3 *feigns sarcastic surprise*)

The first large event requiring a lot of extras that I thought of was the battle at The Wall, but that is unlikely to b filmed in Dubrovnik! XD

18. Shock Me Sane
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Interesting, did I miss the S4 HBO greenlight announcement or are they still pretending it may or may not happen?

19. Jentario
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    RamsaySnow,

Record number of extras for season 4? Can anyone say Purple Wedding!?!

It would be much easier to CGI that than get 400 unique extras for it. I’m thinking they’re talking about the trial

20. tysnow
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

21. Aurane
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

tysnow: It would be awesome if they could film the trial in the Pula Roman Amphitheatre.

Hmmm isn’t the Arena bit too big for that??
    IMO the Kamerlengo Fortress would be an ideal location for that…

22. Biscotti
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I just saw an interview with Rosario Dawson, and oh my goodness she would be perfect for one of the Dornish ladies..

23. Juego de tronos
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 9:26 am | Permalink

When will they come to spain for film??? When?!?!

24. Stefan Perosevic
    Posted May 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I live in country next to Croatia, and I’d really like to become an extra in the show.
    Does anyone know who can contact for more information or where should I go?

25. Lady Sophie
    Posted May 27, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink
  26. Matthew Bordin
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Stefan Perosevic,

Lady Sophie,

I am visiting in late august, id love to be an extra!! Anyone know if they will for sure be in dubrovnik? Love to get a picture with that brat of a king :D

27. Neil
    Posted June 14, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I will be in Dubrovnik in September, as well as Morocco and Iceland. I’d love to be an extra! Any information about who to contact is appreciated! Thnx!!