On the carpet with Kit Harington and John Bradley
By Ours is the Fury on in Events, Press.

On Wednesday night, the stars of Game of Thrones turned out for the opening of the show’s international exhibit in New York City. We were there on the red carpet to get the scoop on the filming and romances of season 3.

The first actor to stop and chat with WiC is John Bradley. We last saw him as Samwell Tarly in the second season finale coming face to face with a White Walker.

johnWith his character’s life hanging in the balance, it’s unclear where we’ll meet up with Sam again in season 3. Bradley had much to say though regarding the connection developing between the Night’s Watch bookworm and Craster’s daughter-wife Gilly (Hannah Murray).

“I think that Sam just somehow is attracted to people that’ve got family issues. And in particular, father issues. I mean Jon Snow, if you look into that deep enough, Jon’s got huge father issues. Sam’s got father issues off the scale and so I think he knows what father issues can do to somebody’s psychology…because of that, I think he wants to make sure that in one instance, at least, it doesn’t take hold of her the way it took hold of him.”

Now that I’ve got him on the red carpet, I take the opportunity to ask John a question that’s come to mind this week, with a photo in the New York Times of Bradley, Kit Harington, and D.B. Weiss in a music studio at the Seattle premiere afterparty. With all the musical talent present in this cast, why is there no Game of Thrones band yet?

“I don’t think the public could handle it,” Bradley deadpans. “I think that dramatic differences is one thing but when you start incorporating musical differences into it as well, I think a lot of these egos would just explode…You never quite know with entertainment egos, they’re fragile at the best of times.”

He flashes a mischievous grin and is shuffled along down the red carpet to the next waiting reporter.

Naturally the first question put to Kit Harington has absolutely nothing to do with Game of Thrones.

“My favorite book,” Kit ponders. “It’s pretty morbid, really but it’s 1984 by George Orwell. I love it, I’ve always loved it. I’ve read it numerous times. It’s given me paranoia about the world many times.” He cracks a smile. “And I love Catcher in the Rye. You know, I’m reading a lot of William Boyd at the moment. I go through different authors at different times. There’s a brilliant Scottish author called William Boyd, and he writes brilliantly- sort of profound but not in-your-face books…There’s one called Any Human Heart which I’ve just read, which is amazing.”

kitOn suffering from a broken ankle shortly before filming began, Kit says, “I’m not going to lie and say that it was a piece of cake. It was much better than I thought it was going to be when I first did it. Before I was filming, I thought, ‘Oh God this is really going to mess up filming.’ And if you’re in a series like this and it means this much to you, you’ll know that that’s a heartbreaker, knowing someone’s going to be doing stuff for you…As it happened, I had a great physio and I got back to a place where I could do all my fight scenes.”

Despite the show’s enthusiastic fanbase and his status as a heartthrob, Harington’s fans have been sending him only polite letters and the occasional “sultry picture.” The strangest item he’s received to date has been a hand-puppet from Japan, he explains with a smile.

“You know what? If [fans] want to send me something crazy, go right ahead, because I haven’t received anything too crazy yet.”

And as for the show’s infamous nude scenes, will Harington be taking it all off any time this season?  While he explicitly avoids confirming a nude scene with Jon’s love interest Ygritte (Rose Leslie) , he says he understands that there’s far more nudity among the women onscreen than the men. Kit shrugs and adds, “I think there should be more nudity amongst the men, maybe.”

No arguments here.

1. Grijnwaald
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Hodor? Hodor!!

I can hear John Bradley’s voice in my head very clearly when I read his dialogue, more so than anyone else.

2. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I am all for equality with regards to nude scenes–seems perfectly reasonable to hope that Kit will lead by example! XD

Was not a fan of Catcher in the Rye, but William Boyd might be worth a read. John Bradley is such a lovely lad, isn’t he–I always enjoy his thoughtful responses in interviews.

3. nap-Desaix
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

my brother would really agree with mr harrington’s taste in books… if i could only get him to read ASoIaF

4. queenofthorns
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

At least they seemed to have listened to us with regard to Naked Robb, based on the previews. More please!!

5. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Lovely interview. What would have been great as a service to NY area readers would have been some coverage of the situation when they arrived at the exhibition. Long lines of families who are looking for a free something to do with the kids at spring break resulted in the line closing at approximately 3:30 yesterday (Friday) a day they were supposed to be open to the public till 8pm. Yes, some people reported a 3 – 4 hour wait on a breezy, chilldy street. So, if a man/woman doesn’t get there until a few hours after opening hour, you still may not get in and end up traveling for nothing if that was your only goal in NYC. Have backup plans of things to do, and don’t expect to get in. This woman didn’t and was very disappointed. Those kids aren’t watching the show, and are just there because their parents watch and they can shoot an arrow into a video game while Mom and Dad look at the props. If they had charged a few bucks, this would have cut out the non-watchers and left some time for actual viewers. But a woman is not bitter. Much. : – (

6. Juego de Tronos
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Nice answers anda interview!

7. Delta1212
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I’m currently on line for the exhibit.

Paul McCartney pulled up alongside my girlfriend and I a few minutes ago, rolled down his window and asked what we were waiting on line for in quite possibly the perfect punch line to the (many) jokes I’ve heard passers by make about the Beatles being in town so far.

I’m not even in the exhibit yet and this has already been immensely satisfying.

8. Steel_Wind
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

In an interview with WiC a while back, Kit mentioned his love of reading. That left some of our readers wondering which books the actor loves.”

Thanks so much for asking Kit that one Fury. Now we’ve got his answer.

9. Libbet
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Kit has great taste. Any Human Heart is a fabulous book (and really good TV miniseries)!

10. Bing_is_coming
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

Did you strike up a conversation passed just telling him what you were there for, or did you punk out?

11. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Delta1212:
    I’m currently on line for the exhibit.

I’m not even in the exhibit yet and this has already been immensely satisfying.

PS, Did you experience the “celebrity shock brain freeze” that many experience when unexpectedly encountering a famous celebrity in person? Or more details of your encounter would be appreciated!

12. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I’ve been in line since 2:30. Originally they told us it was a 6 hour wait -_-.

But screw it, I came to check it out so check it out I will. Probably another hour – hour and a half to go. The turn out is huge! Glad to see how many fans something like this brings out.

Plus they’ve been going around asking trivia and giving out small stuff for everyone waiting.

13. Delta1212
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

My phone is about to die, so I’ll have to wait till I get home tonight for a full reaction to everything, but I definitely recommend getting here early because the line is nuts (there is a fast pass for Time Warner Cable customers, which I am not, but some people on line with me were and didn’t know about it. Being your bill and you get a time slot so you don’t have to stand in line).

Anyway, yes to the brain freeze. My girlfriend, a couple people we met on line and I were all talking when a black Escalade pulled up next to us and stopped for the light. The back window rolled down and the man asked what we were waiting in line for. We all shouted “Game of Thrones exhibition” and he said “Oh, ok.” Which is about the point that it dawned on all of us that it was Paul McCartney. He just smiled and rolled up the window as the car pulled away and we all burst out laughing.

14. Josla
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Wrath of the Gods,

15. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Josla: Wrath of the Gods,Seven hells! I was planning to go but I just changed my mind. I love got but I have zero patience for awaiting so many hours and probably still not get to see…

Believe me I hear you. Definitely feel it’ll be worth it tho. I’ll post my thoughts on it after I’ve actually seen the exhibit.

16. Anguissette1979
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar:
    But a woman is not bitter. Much.: – (

I had thought about day-tripping from NH and I would have been in the same boat. :-(

17. Mike Chair
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Delta1212: I’m currently on line for the exhibit.

Wow. You’ll never forget that. Every time you hear a Beatles song from now on you’ll remember that moment. If it were me, the “wit of the staircase” would haunt me forever for not being quick enough to answer with something like “A Ticket to Ride.”

18. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

That is really cool–enjoy the exhibit! I wonder if Sir Paul will sneak in through the back later to see what all of the fuss is about!

Mrs. H’ghar: Please post what time you got in line, how long the wait was, and your impressions of the exhibit for those thinking of making the trip in the next few days…that would be immensely helpful for others to know ahead of time! It is known!

I went on Thursday and waited in line for about twenty minutes. It sounds like the lines are a lot worse this weekend, so aim to arrive at 9 or 10am and wait from there–at least that way, you’re sure to get in that same day. If you have to wait in line, TWC staff members walk around asking trivia questions and the prizes are decks of GOT playing cards, which are great fun to look through. The questions are simple–what’s the capital of Westeros, etc–and most are multiple choice.

My impressions–

The exhibit is loads of fun–there is nothing quite like seeing the props and costumes from your screen in real life, and up close at that. The detail of the dresses and armour is incredible, and the actor who plays Tywin Lannister must TOWER over his colleagues if his mannequin was anything to go by. Also present: Quaithe’s mask, Xaro’s vault key, Longclaw, Sansa’s creepy doll, the “chess pieces” from Robb’s map, Theon’s letter to Robb, the will of Robert Baratheon that Ned wrote in Season One, and the dragon eggs that weren’t given to GRRM as a wedding present (he only received one apparently). The archery simulation was cool, too.

When you get through the front doors, you can go to the left to walk through the exhibit, or join the lines at the right 1) for photos on the Throne and 2) for the archery (this is the line at the far right). These lines will spit you out into the exhibit anyway, so I’d recommend joining these straight away if you can. Staff members will give you a physical copy of your photo and you can enter your email address to receive a digital copy.

Strangely enough, I actually ran into an NY Daily News reporter, who was there to check out the event and who wrote about it here:

(Disclaimer–I don’t remember saying “way excited”, but sometimes when one is really enthusiastic about something, grammar falls to the wayside!)

19. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Mrs. H’ghar,

Oh! And don’t be afraid of being a little out there when you’re atop the Throne–you can pose however you ‘d like! I took my knitting, which made for a fabulous photo, and saw others swing their legs over the arms of the Throne or pose for some hilarious couple or group shots. Sky’s the limit.

20. Anguissette1979
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

AHHHH! I want to go! I’m trying to research if there’s a bus that leaves Boston early enough to get me there for 9am tomorrow (then get me back home by 9pm for the premiere!). DO WANT!

21. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Anguissette1979,

I can’t find any buses that will get you there for 9am, but it looks like there are some seats left on a 7:30am BoltBus that will get you there for noon. (https://www.boltbus.com/)

Megabus–a 7:00am departure will get you there by 11:15am. (https://us.megabus.com/)

For both options, factor in 15, 20 or 40 minutes to get from the drop-off point to the exhibit itself via taxi, tube or walking respectively. I caught a taxi on 6th avenue and it cost me $10, including tip.

There’s also Amtrak, though it’s much more expensive. Might be a good idea for the return trip, though, if you’d like to get home quickly.

22. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Isabelle:
    Mrs. H’ghar,

A woman thanks you for the thought, but will probably not have the chance to go back. : – (
    Ah well.

23. Anguissette1979
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

It’s sounding like if you don’t get in line by 9-10 am that you won’t make it in, which is why I wanted to get there that early. It would be a totally spontaneous trip – one which I really can’t afford in time or money – but OH MAN would it be awesome.

Acela service down there for the day for the hubs and I would run about $450 and we’d have a whopping four hours in the city in order to make it back in time for the premier.

Curse my lack of planning! :-(

EDIT: Anyone know of any Boston-based GoT fan meetups?

24. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Anguissette1979,

ARGH–you’re right. It shuts at 4pm tomorrow. I remembered that earlier, but it completely fled my mind when I was looking up bus schedules. I’m so sorry :-( No idea about Boston fan events, either, I’m afraid.

Acela…damn you. We need a teleporter. But at least given the success of the show, the exhibit may be back at some point in the future–and with more!

25. Anguissette1979
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Isabelle:

Acela…damn you. We need a teleporter.

Oh, Liiiiiiiiitlefingerrrrrr! I have need of your teleporter and/or jetpack! Kthxbye

26. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Anguissette1979: Oh, Liiiiiiiiitlefingerrrrrr!

Oh god–that’s a spot-on impression of Littlefinger-lovin’ Lysa!

*shudders*

27. Anne
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

yesterday was the only chance I had of seeing this exhibition. imagine my disappointment after traveling for four hours to find out the line was closed right around the same time my train pulled into Penn Station. turns out, I basically went to NYC just for dinner. I spent over $100.00 there yesterday, and didn’t get to see what i went for. Better believe I’m bitter!

I hope if HBO decides to do this again, they plan it a bit better.

28. Anguissette1979
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Isabelle: Oh god–that’s a spot-on impression of Littlefinger-lovin’ Lysa!

*shudders*

Lysa is the poster child for attachment parenting gone horribly, horribly wrong.

*also shudders*

29. Josla
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Isabelle,

Oh. I thought the exhibition woulbe be running til april third. Did I misread the info?

30. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Josla:

Nope, it’s on through the third! If you’d like to catch it this weekend, however, tomorrow’s your last chance and the hours are very limited.

31. Isabelle
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Anne:
    yesterday was the only chance I had of seeing this exhibition.imagine my disappointment after traveling for four hours to find out the line was closed right around the same time my train pulled into Penn Station. turns out, I basically went to NYC just for dinner.I spent over $100.00 there yesterday, and didn’t get to see what i went for. Better believe I’m bitter!

I hope if HBO decides to do this again, they plan it a bit better.

That’s awful!!! I’m so sorry–you must be so frustrated.

If there’s a next time, perhaps they could update their Twitter feed or post an estimated wait time on the Exhibition website once the crowd start to thicken. That could help some people out. Or we could sign-up online for a designated group, with groups spaced every 30-45 minutes. The tickets could still be free, two days could remain “open” for people who want to walk-in off the street, and HBO/TWC would have an idea of how many people they should expect, and thus if they should extend hours or add a day to the exhibit’s run if it’s possible.

32. Delta1212
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Yeah, so thoughts:

This was a Saturday, I expect weekdays will be less bad, but I’m going to give some advice for people who don’t want to count on that: Get there at 8 am. You’ll be waiting for 3 hours. That will significantly beat the 7 hours I spent on line after arriving at 1:30 (I’d planned to get there about an hour earlier, but missed my train). Also consider that you’ll probably need another half hour online inside for the Iron Throne, although in fairness, the camera malfunctioned right before my turn and they had to fix it and redo the last 20 people or so before me, so that may have added time to that one.

The Interactive Blackwater experience consisted of some bows mounted in front of video screens. You aim with the bow, draw and release to fire flaming arrows at green wildfire spills in the water under ships. It’s a bit entertaining, but I doubt it would be fun for much longer than the three or so shots you get before the round resets, so that was timed pretty decently, actually. It’s also on the line for the Iron throne, so that helps pass the time there.

There were costume displays for the Starks, Beyond the Wall and the Lannisters. They had Robert and Renly’s crowns along with some other Baratheon trinkets in a case, and a couple cases with weapons that was pretty cool. The Daenerys display had two model dragons, one of the season 2 version and one from season 3.

It’s pretty much one room with dividers, so don’t expect something huge going in. It’s pretty cool, but not 7-8 hours on line cool (there were still another hour or two s worth of people waiting outside when I left, and they cut the line off around 4 or so, give or take and hour) so definitely get there well ahead of the opening if you want to go.

33. Astonished
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

John Bradley is cool. There’s no entertainment interview question he can’t answer perfectly.

I’ve texted Kit an obscene and badly lit photo of m’nuts more than once. I suppose he either doesn’t think that’s “crazy” or he doesn’t know I’m a “fan”.

More likely, however, Kit faked his number when I cornered him at nerdcon and I’ve been texting John Bradley this whole time.

34. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:20 am | Permalink

So yeah, along with everyone else who went saturday, I had a 7 hour wait. Got in line at 2:30 and finally got in at about 9:30. As everyone else whos gone has said, GO AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE! The waiting nearly killed me.

It deff wasn’t bad, just a little on the small side if you were expecting something huge. It’s really cool seeing the props and costumes and weapons up close and personal, esp for the hardcore fans.

The blackwater game was okay, nothing you’d sit and play for a while just a cool little Game of Thrones mini game.

There were a lot of really cool people there waiting in line too, so even tho we had a rediculous wait it was cool to hang with some other big fans. The people were great. Same with the staff, they tried to get it all flowing as smoothly as possible and gave out freebies to anyone who could answer some easy trivia.

Of course, every one I talked to was all about getting a picture on the iron throne. Definitley well worth standing in line for that alone, in my opinion. They print out a small copy for yourself for free and you can use the ipads on display to email it or post it straight to your facebook/twitter.

All in all, a really good experience aside from the wait. So yeah, if your planning on going, go as early as possible. And be happy you didn’t wait 7 hours :)

35. Wrath of the Gods
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Anguissette1979,

I took the luckystar bus from boston. The earliest was 7am on saturday, so idk about any times that would get you there before 9 on sunday unless you took a middle of the night bus on a different service. Just google boston to nyc bus, thats what I did.

36. Anguissette1979
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Wrath of the Gods,

Yeah, nothing will get me in early enough since they close at 4 today, then back on time for the premiere so… Next season!!

37. Shaya Collins
    Posted April 2, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this wonderful coverage, Kit Harington is such a sweetheart!

I know you guys cover everything and everyone that has to do with Game of Thrones, and that’s why I really enjoy this very professional run fan site. BUT I’m always extra thrilled when you have something Kit Harington related up your sleeves just because I admire him as an actor and I truly adore Jon Snow.

38. Paola
    Posted April 3, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Great interview. Kit Harrington is absolutely lovely!